Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-79 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 79 Tuesday, 19 March 1996 Today's Topics: How y'all doin? Hola Comrade Track 13 Palindrome Weird Al TMBG parody Merc Lounge show on the 14th Re: everything you know is wrong i palindrome i To stomp, or not to stomp, that is the question... I'M BACK IN BUSINESS! Re: i palindrome i Re: Weird Al TMBG parody April 4... TMBG clones? Re: To stomp, or not to stomp [Shakespeare allusions] moving to the sun What about Aust? Re: To stomp, or not to stomp, that is the question... TMBG reoccuring trends Re: TMBG reoccuring trends TMBG and the Beatles Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:42:10 EST Subject: How y'all doin? I would like to declare something right now: Ever since I heard Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes in December of 1992, I have been wearing the same clothes: My Big Head TMBG shirt, My jeans with the pocket on the right knee and my crappy boots. Just thought I'd share. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Hola Comrade Date: Fri, 15 Mar 96 11:31:00 P Hola all my fellow peole of the Johns. Well I am again going to ask ALL of you to send me you name, age, and where you live to me. This is so I can prove to the unbelievers of TMBg's wide spread grooviness. You see, no one believes how many people like them. Thanx to all the people that have allready sent in. But I would like all of you to join this epic adventure in ou rlove for TMBg, by sending me your info. Thank you. I would apreciate it. +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies+ "You're free to come and goor talk like Kurtis Blow," TMBG "truth only exsists in the hearts of the men that embrace + it", me. "Is it just me, or is it hot in +here"...."No brenden, it's just + you." "very small rocks?"..."and what do you burn aapart from whitch's? MORE WITCHS!!" monty python TMBG-ENYA-BEATLES-DONAVON-REM-SIMON & GARFUNKLE-AKIRA-CCR- + THE WONDER STUFF-STEVEN DOLMATZ- BARE NAKED LADIES-VISITOR 3 MONTY PYTHON-RANMA1/2-SNL-... ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 12:39:38 EST Subject: Track 13 >OK, what is the purpose of #13 on Miscellaneous T, does anyone know???? wrote Paul Sebold. I was informed from the mighty Johns that back in the early days of Dial-A-Song, people could leave messages. Some elderly lady, Gloria, saw the ad in the Village Voice and called the number, with an elderly fellow on conference call. They apparently didn't know that they were being recorded and continued their own conversation which was actually longer than track 13 plays. TMBG didn't play the whole conversation after what we hear because it got quite wierd and didn't pertain to the band. I hope this was a help to you. Boba Out. <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:47:18 -0500 (CDT) From: Keith Hyman Subject: Palindrome Organization: Meharry Medical College Attributed to Napoleon (yeah, sure...): "Able was I ere I saw Elba." ================================================================================ Keith Hyman |"A monument Nashville TN USA | Of granite sent hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| A beam into my eye."--TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 03:16:45 +0100 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Weird Al TMBG parody Friends of mine just got the new Weird Al CD too, and all of us also agree that Everything you Know is Wrong is a TMBG parody. If all of us think that, I think we must be right. I also find it amazing how many of us TMBG fans are also fans of other things like Weird Al, Animaniacs, Douglas Adams, and countless other things that I can't think of at the moment. Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 03:30:58 +0100 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Merc Lounge show on the 14th I was at the Mercury Lounge show on the 14th, and I have to say it KICKED ASS!!!!!!!!!!! I was right up in front by the Johns, thanks to Brooksie *hugs* and I had the best time. They played so many new songs that will probably be on the next album. They had a song about themselves. "They Might Be Giants got lost while driving around..." It was great and it mentions all their names and stuff and what they said and stuff. It was great. The spiraling shape song is cool and so were the rest. I was able to grab the set list, and i found a guitar pick that might have been Flansburgh's and: I TOUCHED JOHN FLANSBURGH'S GUITAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got to play notes on it too. It was so exciting. :) If I had had a camera, I could have gotten pictures of all of them... *sigh* If anyone wants more details, they can just mail me. :) I can't wait to see them on the 31st in Madison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 14:49:04 -0800 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: everything you know is wrong At 09:12 PM 3/17/96 -0600, you wrote: > >> >> "Everything You Know is Wrong" seems to be a pretty obvious takeoff on > >> TMBG, although not a specific song. Reasons besides the name: > > >I was going to say something about the "prosthetic lips," but someone >else beat me to it. Going away for spring break is annoying sometimes. > >I've got another semi-interesting little anecdote thingy, though. I was >listening to Son Volt, and that new single of theirs came on, Drown. My >sister said it reminded her of They Might Be Giants, on the little part >in the chorus when he says "you started it." It kinda does, if you >squint. Maybe. Ok, maybe not, but I just wanted to write something. Hmmmmm....interesting. I do like their sound, but I'll have to listen to it again to see I hear that. My first impression was, "a cross between TMBG and REM." > >-jenny, who returned to 171 messages in her mailbox. cool. Oh, Yeah, I didn't check my mail one week, and I had over 250 to read. Needless to say, it took me awhile. I subsequently unsubscribed to a couple of mailing lists. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com My rules of life: Drive a Jeep, Think clearly often, Don't put Spam in your Chicken Gumbo, and most important Listen to They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ From: Acornflake@aol.com Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:43:54 -0500 Subject: i palindrome i >>> >> >i palindrome I this: >> > >> >Go hang a salami Doc, Note: I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I >> >diet on cod, I'm a lasagna hog. >> > >> >cool eh? >> >> Well try this one on for history's sake..... >> >> A man, A plan, A canal--Panama. >I can't top that. Sorry. hmmm.... ten alps bordered rob's planet. ..i shall traverse back off into my never never land right about now... anne marie ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 14:25:20 +0000 Subject: To stomp, or not to stomp, that is the question... Hello all, We've been reading _Hamlet_ in my English class, and something struck me. (*ouch!*) King Claudius bumps off the old king (Hamlet's dad) by POURING POISON IN HIS EAR!!! I jest not! We know that They referred to Plato in NOKMP, is it possible that They're making a ref to Shakespeare (and _Hamlet_ in particular) in Stomp Box? Wouldn't that be cool? I've tried applying the lyrics of the song, but it doesn't quite fit. The first verse works if you think of it as the Ghost's instuctions to Hamlet (from Act I), to wit: "Stomp Box, speak my thoughts/ Vent these voices from the dark" Which is basically what the Ghost wants Hamlet to do. "Shout shout shout shout/ Scream it out/ Blast your missive/ Tell the wordless message/ Little Stomp Box tear it from my heart" Restatement of the same. The second verse is where this interp falls apart. It could be the Ghost speaking to King Claudius, except that the Ghost did not want to die, and that makes his plea for death "Kill kill kill kill me, kill me now" a bit odd. Whatcha guys think? -nicole (I'm the cute one!) "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:55:07 E Subject: I'M BACK IN BUSINESS! Raise the flags and dance for joy, my email account works! Hey la di la di la di hey la di la di lo hey la di la di la di hey la di la di lo anyway, I love Tony (our sys admin) now (well not real love, agape) well not really I'm just rambling but I'm happy! Wahoo! From a fellow Simpsons, Weird Al, Monty Python, Douglas Adams fan, Tracy Marie! ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 21:20:13 -0500 Subject: Re: i palindrome i In a message dated 96-03-18 20:58:18 EST, you write: >>> >i palindrome I this: >>> > >>> >Go hang a salami Doc, Note: I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I > >>> >diet on cod, I'm a lasagna hog. >>> > >>> >cool eh? >>> >>> Well try this one on for history's sake..... >>> >>> A man, A plan, A canal--Panama. > >>I can't top that. Sorry. > >hmmm.... > > ten alps bordered rob's planet. mutual autum is autum a word? I forget ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 21:20:06 -0500 Subject: Re: Weird Al TMBG parody >I also find it amazing how many of us TMBG fans are also fans of other >things like Weird Al, Animaniacs, Douglas Adams, and countless other things >that I can't think of at the moment. Oooo! Ooooo! Oooooo! I Know the Beatles! Blur and the Police. (okay, so maybe not Blur and the Police) As a child, the first instrument given to John was an accordian... no not Linnell, Lennon! ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: April 4... Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 22:40:09 -0500 (EST) Out of the corner of my ear/eye I thought I heard/saw a mention on this here list about the ML shows going into April. Could this possibly be true? If so, I could probably most definitely make the April 4th show as we will be on our Easter Break. This would be so excellent, anyone wanna go that's between Baltimore and NYC? I'll get the car, be fun be fun Carlito! Oh I hope that it is true, I want to hear all of the new songs, although I probably'll hear em at E-town hopefully. I just hate that NYC driving and parking cost, etc but oh well, it's the Giants!! Oh I beter mail brooksie! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 21:33:10 -0500 From: Willy Nunn Subject: TMBG clones? In regards to this whole deal about similarities in people who listen to TMBG, one of the things I have noticed about my friends and I in regards to similarities (other then all liking TMBG and the rest).. is that we are all self proclaimed Freaks of one degree or another. In fact the majority of us wear such a mantle with pride. I was wondering if this is a recurrent trend in TMBG people... oh another couple are Enya and the X-files.. Wilbz __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 19:13:48 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: To stomp, or not to stomp [Shakespeare allusions] >We've been reading _Hamlet_ in my English class, and something struck >me. (*ouch!*) King Claudius bumps off the old king (Hamlet's dad) by >POURING POISON IN HIS EAR!!! I jest not! We know that They referred >to Plato in NOKMP, is it possible that They're making a ref to >Shakespeare (and _Hamlet_ in particular) in Stomp Box? Wouldn't that >be cool? > >I've tried applying the lyrics of the song, but it doesn't quite fit. >The first verse works if you think of it as the Ghost's instuctions >to Hamlet (from Act I), to wit: >"Stomp Box, speak my thoughts/ Vent these voices from the dark" >Which is basically what the Ghost wants Hamlet to do. >"Shout shout shout shout/ Scream it out/ Blast your missive/ Tell the >wordless message/ Little Stomp Box tear it from my heart" >Restatement of the same. > >The second verse is where this interp falls apart. It could be the >Ghost speaking to King Claudius, except that the Ghost did not want >to die, and that makes his plea for death "Kill kill kill kill me, >kill me now" a bit odd. > >-nicole (I'm the cute one!) Nicole, I think the %Hamlet% allusion is a safe bet, and as you say, the analogy falls apart if you pursue it much farther, especially as it forces us to construe Hamlet himself as the Little Stomp Box. However, I would note the echo of "kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill!" in %King Lear% (4.5.183 in the Oxford edition of the Folio text): the general aesthetic tone of the song seems to come from a kind of Jacobean tragedy/heavy metal angst admixture. Not that there's that much distance between the two genres in affective terms. If one wanted to harp on the Jacobean theme, one could consider the line "tear it from my heart" in light of the grisly climax of John Ford's %'Tis Pity She's a Whore%, but that would probably be silly--almost as silly as pointing out the linguistically parallel structure stomp/box : shake/spear[e]. Nonetheless, there are plenty of Shakespearean allusions in TMBG's lyrics, and it might be fun for those of us with minimal real lives to attempt a comprehensive list, no? Kasey "I say the plan becomes null and void once we find out we got a rat in the house." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:27:59 -0800 From: anakin@smartlink.net (Nick Hatton) Subject: moving to the sun don't know how many of you have heard of this one (MOving to the Sun), but I saw it's lyrics at the ftp site, and I was wondering who else had heard of it, and if it was like Dial-A-Song stuff, or if it was something on a new single(to dream the impossible dream....:) and if anyone knew where I could get it. Also Iwas wondering if I sent a tape with postage if someone could put a bunch of Dial-A-Song goodies on it (hven't got my phone to tape recorder thingy made yet) Anakin I think that we've...you know? Have had this problem, where we, we try to do something interesting and new and it comes off... as weird, you know? But we're not about being weird, and once you're familiar with what we're doing it's not weird at all, you know? It's just... It's just something interesting and new. -John Linnell ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Leung Subject: What about Aust? Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 15:28:14 +1100 (EST) The giants are playing here, the giants are playing there.... Hey! Are the Giants playing in Australia? If not why don't they? If anybody reading this actually knows them (yeah, right) tell them to come to Australia more often. The last time they came I was barred because it was an over 18's concert, a rule which baffles me. Also, to the guy taping the concert stuff: is there any deal for the overseas fan. I bet not. Anyway , this message isn't all negative. I have to commend those who sent those palindromes. Now I can tell my friends I made them up. Bye for now, Jeremy,aka Ratboy ------------------------------ From: "Andrew McAninch" Organization: northland.edu Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 22:32:49 -0600 Subject: Re: To stomp, or not to stomp, that is the question... > Hello all, > > We've been reading _Hamlet_ in my English class, and something struck > me. (*ouch!*) King Claudius bumps off the old king (Hamlet's dad) by > POURING POISON IN HIS EAR!!! I jest not! We know that They referred > to Plato in NOKMP, is it possible that They're making a ref to > Shakespeare (and _Hamlet_ in particular) in Stomp Box? Wouldn't that > be cool? > > I've tried applying the lyrics of the song, but it doesn't quite fit. > The first verse works if you think of it as the Ghost's instuctions > to Hamlet (from Act I), to wit: > "Stomp Box, speak my thoughts/ Vent these voices from the dark" > Which is basically what the Ghost wants Hamlet to do. > "Shout shout shout shout/ Scream it out/ Blast your missive/ Tell the > wordless message/ Little Stomp Box tear it from my heart" > Restatement of the same. > > The second verse is where this interp falls apart. It could be the > Ghost speaking to King Claudius, except that the Ghost did not want > to die, and that makes his plea for death "Kill kill kill kill me, > kill me now" a bit odd. > > Whatcha guys think? I just joined the list recently, so for my first post, my inspiration on the to stomp or not to stomp question: I dont have the lyrics with me, and I havent heard the song in a while, but it struck me that the "kill, kill, kill, kill me, kill me now" might refer to hamlet's Desire to kill himself, the whole to be or not to be dilema. Maybe? Maybe not. Ill have to check out the lyrics when I get back to my room. Andrew McAninch Since water still flows though we cut it with swords and sorrow returns though we drown it with wine since the world can in ne way answer to our cravings I will loosen my hair tomarrow and take to a fishing boat Li Po ------------------------------ From: "Andrew McAninch" Organization: northland.edu Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 22:38:35 -0600 Subject: TMBG reoccuring trends Anybody out there a Red Dwarf fan? All my friends who like TMBG love Red dwarf(a hilarious british comedy that runs on different public tv stations) Anyone else, or are we just wierd? Andrew McAninch Since water still flows though we cut it with swords and sorrow returns though we drown it with wine since the world can in ne way answer to our cravings I will loosen my hair tomarrow and take to a fishing boat Li Po ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: TMBG reoccuring trends Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 23:25:25 -0600 (CST) > Anybody out there a Red Dwarf fan? All my friends who like TMBG love > Red dwarf(a hilarious british comedy that runs on different public > tv stations) Anyone else, or are we just wierd? > Andrew McAninch YES!!! absolutely! Red Dwarf smegging rocks! I think that just about anyone that can put up with tmbg and come out liking They would like Red Dwarf.... Or maybe not.... Hmmmm.... -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 01:43:11 -0500 Subject: TMBG and the Beatles >>I also find it amazing how many of us TMBG fans are also fans of other >>things like Weird Al, Animaniacs, Douglas Adams, and countless other things >>that I can't think of at the moment. >Oooo! Ooooo! Oooooo! I Know the Beatles! Blur and the Police. (okay, so >maybe not Blur and the Police) >As a child, the first instrument given to John was an accordian... >no not Linnell, Lennon! I always thought there was something Beatles-ish about TMBG. I was raised on the Beatles, and I particularly liked their more offbeat songs like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," "Rocky Raccoon," and "Obla De Obla Da" (sp?). I could easily imagine TMBG doing any of them. Furthermore, "Self Called Nowhere" sounds a whole lot like a John Lennon tune. And if "If I Wasn't Shy" doesn't sound just like a silly Paul Mcartney love song, I don't know what does. To top it off, my dad recently compared TMBG to the Beatles without any prompting from me whatsoever! Kay, also a big Weird Al fan (freaky!) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-79 *****************************