Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 8 Monday, 8 January 1996 Today's Topics: tmbg-list Digest #1-104 Re: Dr Spock boots hello all! NYC last show mailing list Road Movie missing lyrics alien autopsy Ben's Dial-A-Song to play the covers! "Cabbagetown" Interpretation (a long 'un) (fwd) just joined Re: just joined Re: Dr Spock (none) Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: rc@gcc.cc.md.us Date: 7 Jan 1996 12:19:04 EDT Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-104 TM> Someone brought a very interesting lyrical question to mind when TM>listening to Where Your Eyes Don't Go on Lincoln. What exactly is a TM>"Skullhead". Maybe there's something simple I'm missing out on, but the TM>only thing I could come up with is a skull, but why would they add the TM>head part? Can anyone help me out on this one? Maybe They mean a skullhead as in it has a body too. Not just a skull, but a skullhead that also has a body so it can go where your eyes don't. Know what I mean? I hope so, because I barely do. Nothingman -Or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 12:48:22 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Dr Spock >I'm a bit confused about the recording Dr. Spock's back up band. Is this an >authourized CD, or a bootleg, or what? Is it worth trying to get? It's a bootleg CD. You can get mor info about it by looking at the TMBG Discography. http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/they.might.be.giants Hope this answers your question. --Jon +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: boots Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 12:59:35 -0500 (EST) First of all, A FREAKIN BLIZZARD IS COMING DOWN ok only 30" of snow nothing big I was wondering if anyone was able to tape either the Philly or NYC shows or if anyone knows of any boots resulting from those shows? Boots are fun and from reading the list in the past it seems that the Johns don't worry that much about them and sometimes might even like them. Heck if I was in a band I wouldn't mind boots, it gets your name out and when you're as big as the Giants people are gonna buy your albums anyway! You'd be foolish not to 8-) Matt<--who's about to trek into the unknown blinding snooahahaahhahaaah it'staking my house awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: promans@sloth.loyola.edu (Phil Romans) Subject: hello all! Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 13:04:53 -0500 (EST) It has been awhile since the list has brighten my day, but then again it is easy to with all this snow falling! Is anyone else just sitting around watching the snow fall and listening to TMBG? Or is that just me... Concerts concerts concerts... I attended the Philly show with my good bud Matt James of this list. That was my 5th show and I am going to add another one to the list on the 17th in DC. Does anyone know who is opening on the 17th? And please don't say the Marqunes (or however you spell thier name)... Concert notes... Love the new hat so much I picked one up myself. Tis a cool olive-ish green with the logo on front, like the oval stickers. Matt picked up the Happy New Year's shirt, which was highlighted by a nice big bottle of bubbly. Did anyone out there happen to have a recorder at the Philly show, or did the full body-cavity check get you booted out as well... =) Finally, can someone send me the set list from Philly? I was standing behind a guy writting it down and forgot to ask for a copy. Was the coolest when they played James J. Polk and I was the only one around that knew the words.. hehe Course Sense Around threw everyone off. WELCOME BACK GRAM! (where did Tony go? along with all the cool concert stuff they use to do, like into to the band...) -=phil (the snowed in) -- ._________________________________________________________________. I |promans@sloth.loyola.edu | http://justice.loyola.edu/~promans | W | U2-They Might Be Giants-Pink Floyd-Rush | G | looking for any 'live' material of these bands | B | Magic: The Addiction | T \-----------------------------------------------------------------/ P -=If a word in the dictionary was mispelled, how would we know?=- ! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Jan 96 14:48 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: NYC last show i don't think that would be the last show cause at the show they said they woul d be playing every thursday in march somewhere in new york city. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 19:55:16 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: mailing list Is anyone else having trouble with Their mailing list, or is it just me? I wrote off to them late '94 and got the Fall '94 information service newsletter back, then nothing since then. I wrote off again several weeks before Christmas explaining what had happened, but still nothing. Is it because I live in the UK? Are they just as bad if you try to order something from Their catalogue? Am I just ill-fated? Mark ------------------------------ From: Psavage1@aol.com Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 15:07:36 -0500 Subject: Road Movie missing lyrics Paul Leonard wrote: >don't forget about the lines >"you said you were the king of liars >And I believed you and called you Sire >But I realize now that I have been decieved" > >check the liner notes, they're real lyrics. But then check the song. Maybe >they're not lyrics. Who knows? > >paul > >p.s. -- I know that line's not really a pun, but the subject matter >intrigues me nonetheless. I wonder how those lines would sound, performed >by J&J? Actually they do sing the missing lines in an earlier Dial-a-Song version of Road Movie. The lyrics were changed but the liner notes weren't. And, amazingly enough, the missing lines sound just like the rest of the song...what do you mean by how those lines would sound? Pat --- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Jan 96 15:08 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: alien autopsy i don't think the alien autopsy live album thing was for real. i think they wer e joking cause they didn't say anything about it the night before in philadelph ia. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 21:38:32 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Ben's Dial-A-Song to play the covers! Ben or Been here, of Ben's Dial-A-Song. . . Yes, January has arrived and my winter quarter at Otter-Been (Otterbein) College has begun. I feel still in a givvy mood from the holidays, and wish to pass my givviness onto my pals, the TMBG Republic. What I have for you is only a phone call away. It is my answering machine, converted into a Dial-A-Song home for "quirkier" music. And yes, TMBG is much welcomed at the site. And for the beginning of this month, I plan on putting the original songs of the ones TMBG covered for the listener to compare. Yes, I have the Dukes of Stratosphear, Meat Puppets, "Why Does the Sun Shine" (circa 1959), Allman Brothers, and maybe something else--I can't remember! Give my answering machine a call. (Free if you call from work, of course!) I leave songs on for three or four days, depending on how many listeners I have--which is usually none, boo hoo. When you call, if I should happen to pick up the phone and you wanted to hear Dial-A-Song, just tell me, and I will gladly let you call back and listen. Hey, make sure you leave me a message after listening! This offer won't last long. You may not hear these songs ever again, since I can't distribute them (as some of you may know I givingly tried!). Ben's Dial-A-Song: (614) 823-2583 (please call at decent hours; I go to bed around midnight) Call now! Bye-Bye, Ben or Been A General Semanticist of sorts ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 21:57:12 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: "Cabbagetown" Interpretation (a long 'un) (fwd) Ben or Been, with an oldie but goody. An old, favorite post of mine, for your perusal and debate. Smiles in this vampirelike world, Ben or Been A Korzybski-ite ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 20:56:16 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck To: They Might Be Giants Persons Subject: "Cabbagetown" Interpretation (a long 'un) Hey there all you kids and lactose-intolerant/tolerant kittens, it's anal-lysis man, Ben or Been, gonna give you yo' puddin' and analyze a song! (In the background, one can faintly here the chant, "Spinderella, cut it up one time . . .") Today, on the agenda is the They Might Be Giants song, "Cabbagetown," which appears as the second song on the "I Palindrome I" maxi-single. It's a sleepy, dopey little ditty sung with whines by Flansburgh ("The Somewhat Happier Guy," some may argue), and I'm not sure how many of you guys know it. The lyrics: "Cabbagetown" by They Might Be Egg Rolls I was laying on the porch As the bus drove by Just talking to the dog About thinking to myself There are so many big ideas We could talk about But nothing that gets said Gets us out of Cabbagetown Oh, Cabbagetown Oh, Cabbagetown I will leave and I'll return Oh, Cabbagetown I talked to my old grand-dad As he fell into the sea He said, "Time and tide are one thing That no one understands." I talked to my Uncle Jack As he tried to talk to me With a bottle in one hand And another in the other Oh Oh ----------------------- Now, what do you see? I'll tell you what my eyes and interpretive skills relay . . . Two themes pop up for me in this here song: "The Theme of Poor Communication" and "The Fated Town, Cabbagetown." On "The Theme of Poor Communication": Poor communication? Well, the people are having problems in this sleepy lil' town of the cabbage. Take stanza 1, in which the singer is "laying" (should be "lying," for you grammaticists), talking to his dog-- Get real. Dogs don't talk; they can't communicate Human. Communication problems, I'd say emphatically. Then take the second stanza, in which the singer explains that there are many "big ideas" that they discuss, but nothing gets them out of Cabbagetown--in other words, "nothing gets 'em anywhere"! Then look at the stanza after the first chorus: I talked to my old grand-dad As he fell into the sea He said, "Time and tide are one thing That no one understands." Okay, the subject-predicate disagreement jumps out (to me) immediately: "Time and tide" is a plural subject, "one thing" is a singular predicate, joinied by the singular verb form "is." But I say "Who Cares?" Well, poor communication is the topic. The question in the stanza arises: How on earth can the singer talk to his grandfather if he's falling into the sea? (The sad state of Cabbagetown!) He can't, in realistic terms. And nice Uncle Jack. I originally interpretted Uncle Jack as an alcoholic ("With a bottle in one hand/ And another in the other"), but I think so no longer--"not necessarily." The singer tries to talk to his uncle when his uncle tries to talk to him, asserting himself more with the offers of beer in the bottle. (The other bottle, I believe, Uncle Jack offers to Flanny, perhaps feeding the speculation that the Johns, at least one, drink. (?)) Anyway, the singer is yet again unsuccessful in his attempt to talk to his uncle about that which is on his mind. Communication problems! ********* On "The Fated Town, Cabbagetown": Fate. That's the word. "...Nothing that gets said/ Gets us out of Cabbagetown." Nothing gets them out of that Hole! Grand-dad explains: "Time and tide are one thing/ That no one understands." Grand-dad is diving into the sea as he says this, but he's just as fated, folks. Know about the tide, how it comes in? Grand-dad is making his attempt to get the h*ll outta Cabbagetown, but he's gonna roll right back in with the tide. (Fool!) "...the bus drove by," as the second line goes. They can't get out--Flansburgh's lying on his porch chatting with his Chow-Chow, missing it! Fate--He'll "leave" and he'll, of course, fatefully "return," as the chorus goes. And Fate is going to keep them in the town too in the Uncle Jack stanza. Beer is a liquor of Escape from the problems of life, as some see it, but it really gets people nowhere. "Gets 'em nowhere." The scene is: A Cabbagetown resident, Uncle Jack, holds his nephew in the town fatefully with liquor. --------- And now, folks, it's your turn. Do you buy this analysis? The Two-and-Twenty, perhaps thinking not the "One-and-Only," Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: "Susan Lee Jethro" Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 01:14:02 -0500 Subject: just joined hi i been reading this list for a while now but i haven't written until now i'm a HUGE tmbg fan, but i'm stuck down here in north carolina and i never get to go to any really cool concerts (hi kerry... i'm at state too) i have lincoln, flood, apollo 18 and john henry which album should i buy next? by the way, i'd like to here some of your opinions on the statement made by They that their lyrics don't really mean anything, that they're just nonsense...i have my own opinions about it but i'd like to hear yours first unrelated to anything, (susan) ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: just joined Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 22:54:06 -0800 (PST) > hi > i been reading this list for a while now but i haven't written until now > > i'm a HUGE tmbg fan, but i'm stuck down here in north carolina and i never get > to go to any really cool concerts > > (hi kerry... i'm at state too) > > i have lincoln, flood, apollo 18 and john henry > which album should i buy next? I would say that Miscellaneous T is the next best. Mind you that is only my opinion, but I like it better than The Self Titled album. (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 02:16:12 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Dr Spock On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > >I'm a bit confused about the recording Dr. Spock's back up band. Is this an > >authourized CD, or a bootleg, or what? Is it worth trying to get? > > It's a bootleg CD. You can get mor info about it by looking at the TMBG > Discography. > > http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/they.might.be.giants > > > Hope this answers your question. --Jon > > > +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ > | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | > +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ > | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | > +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ > > > To answer the second part of your question, yes, Dr. Spock is definitely worth getting. Linnell used the accordian much more than he has in recent days (to particularly effective use in "Twisting"). The other highlight (in my mind at any rate) was Particle Man with a prominent clarinet, played much faster than on either Flood or Live in NYC. -Mine is a second generation copy, and it's missing two songs, so if anyone has any idea where I could procure the actual CD, please, PLEASE, mail me. -P.S. Someone mentioned a show on the 18th at "Toad's". I'll assume the 18th is in January, but I'd like to know if Toad's means Toad's Place in New Haven. (It's kind of a drive for me, but it's worth it to see John and John. -Slacker Ng ------------------------------ From: postmaster@student2.uwsp.edu Date: Mon, 8 Jan 96 01:55 CST >From postmaster Mon Jan 8 01:55:06 1996 Subject: smtp mail failed Content-Type: text Content-Length: 1986 Your mail to student2.uwsp.edu!lmelv354 is undeliverable. ---------- diagnosis ---------- ---------- unsent mail ---------- From tmbg-digest Sat Jan 6 03:05:08 0500 1996 remote from tmbg.org Received: (majordom@localhost) by mail.tmbg.org (8.7.1/8.7.ufp) id DAA01452; Sat, 6 Jan 1996 03:05:08 -0500 (EST) Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 03:05:08 -0500 (EST) From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199601060805.DAA01452@mail.tmbg.org> Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-103 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 103 Saturday, 6 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: ok, i guess it's up to me.. Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-100 Returned mail: User unknown (Fwd) Re[4]: CBS News tmbg-list Digest #1-101 tmbg-list Digest #1-101 tmbg-list Digest #1-102 tmbg-list Digest #1-102 tmbg-list Digest #1-101 Things My copy of flood Re: My copy of flood Re: My copy of flood music over the phone Re: My copy of flood TMBG Music Re: TMBG Music Re: music over the phone Tiny Toons and Mega Tapes (none) Some other cover ideas..... Re: (Fwd) Re[4]: CBS News LIST BACK!!!! Graham Maby now plays with TMBG--Joe Jackson connection Re: New trivia question/ valuable prize YAAY! THE LIST IS BACK! I am whole again yet another translation translation? did someone say translation? CONCERT in NYC show ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-8 ****************************