Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-80 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 80 Wednesday, 20 March 1996 Today's Topics: the birds and the be giants Re: the birds and the be giants Re: Palindrome Common ground and the Mercury Lounge. E-town=??? please help!! Re: I palindrome i E-town Tickets wierd al Re: wierd al Re: wierd al Re: wierd al Re: wierd al the digest and sun volt Shpidah Re: wierd al Re: wierd al Re: wierd al Re: wierd al Re: wierd al STUMPBOX IS HERE sun volt and similarities (no subject) Re: wierd al TMBG: Beatles people, or Elvis people? bad johns sun volt and similarities (fwd) Re: sun volt and similarities what we like. Re: moving to the sun Re: moving to the sun Re: moving to the sun these are a few of my favorite things.... TMBG (duh!!!) what I like Who's in the band now? Why We Like What We Like Re: what I like Re: what I like Re: Why We Like What We Like Re: what I like Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 21:16:49 +1200 (NZST) From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Eugene Ionesco) Subject: the birds and the be giants I know I'm not subsribed anymore, because *shock* i have to pay for myt net usage now...but it occurs to me that Big Bird's singing voice (yes the one from sesame street) is not too dissimilar to whichever John sing's 'She's an angel' Yup well.... have a nice day :) PS Aimee Elisabeth Pfleiger! Sara Kathleen Smith! Matthew S. (ha ha not saying sorry soph!) James! Mail me <> ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 06:36:56 -0500 Subject: Re: the birds and the be giants >I know I'm not subsribed anymore, because *shock* i have to pay for myt net >usage now...but it occurs to me that Big Bird's singing voice (yes the one from >sesame street) is not too dissimilar to whichever John sing's 'She's an angel' Hey, "She's an Angel" is Linnell's most beautiful song, and I don't think he sounds at all like Big Bird (or any Muppet for that matter). But the way he distorts his voice on "32 Footsteps" does sound a bit like Kermit the Frog. And "Fingertips" is full of Muppet-like voices--in fact, there was a whole disucssion about that on the newsgroup some time ago. Say, now that the Muppets are back on tv, wouldn't it be cool if TMBG were on? They could even make a video for "Fingtertips!" Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 07:57:49 -0500 (EST) From: Sungael K Im Subject: Re: Palindrome A man, a plan, a canal, Panama! A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, hero's, rajahs, a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal - Panama! -Mike Im \|||/ (o o) ____________ooO_(_)_Ooo_______________ | | | Sung Michael Im | | sim+@andrew.cmu.edu | |http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~sim| | (412) 862-2398 | |______________________________________| ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 08:12:36 -0500 Subject: Common ground and the Mercury Lounge. You know, I've met a tremendous number of TMBFans who are big fans of the Beatles. Amazing thing. (or maybe not?) And I guess the percentage of Weird Al fandom is a bit greater amongst TMBG fans than within the rest of the population, though I have to admit that I've never conducted a scientific study. Tho I haven't heard the Weird Al TMBG-like song, it wouldn't surprise me if he made a sort of tribute to the Johns. After all, he said in an interview in Ben Is Dead's, Retro Hell Part 2 issue, "I like They Might Be Giants a lot. I just saw them at the Pantages a couple of weeks ago." I haven't heard that They are going to be playing any shows at Mercury Lounge during the month of April. And the Mercury Lounge ad in the Vocie has listings through April 12th, with no TMBG listed after March 28th. But, Matt, if you want to come to NYC, there are some other great bands playing that week. Granted, they are not TMBG, and could in no way substitute. One other thing... If you are going to any of the remaining ML shows, and you don't have tickets, show up at the club early. Even if the show is sold out, hang around outside. I knew some people who didn't get tickets last week, but nonetheless did get in to see the show. Love, Brooks "I'm a freak and I'm proud." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 96 09:15 EST From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: E-town=??? please help!! hi, all. i just recently found this list, and i seem to have come in on the middle of a whole lot of things (of course), but i have one question which needs to be answered before i can go on. people keep talking about an e-town show. is this, say, Elizabethtown, PA? if not, what is it? please, i'm on tenterhooks. and it hurts. thanks for the info, and thanks for providing a They-source. :) -j.l. would it be okay with you if we wrote a reminder of things we'd forget to do today, otherwise, using a green magic marker, if that's alright, on the back of your head? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 09:19:21 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Re: I palindrome i Not knowing whether 'autum' was a word, Ruprecht76@aol.com suggested: > mutual autum How about "Time in mutual autumn I emit." or "Pots in mutual autumn I stop." -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 10:05:52 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: E-town Tickets Hiya people! Good morning! This is cortney...I hate to keep harping on this, but is there anybody out there with some ticket information for the TMBG show at E-town? I mean, I know that tickets go on sale on March 26th, but are they only available through the school itself? If so, will they hold tickets for people? Is there anybody out there who can clue me in or help me out? It would be much appreciated! Have a ruby tuesday! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: wierd al Date: Tue, 19 Mar 96 11:24:28 EST I DON'T LIKE WIERD AL!!!!!! i've been brooding silently about whether or not to confess this fact, and have decided to waste your time by telling you. okay, i don't totally hate him, because his songs are somewhat entertaining the first time one might hear them, but after that they quickly become ANNOYING!!!! i used to know this girl that all she owned was wierd al tapes. no other music whatsoever. she used to say that the wierd al songs were just as catchy and just as good of songs as the originals, and that his original songs were of a high quality. but, this is clearly NOT true, as his voice is kind of annoying and his imitation of other styles of music, with the exception of polka(now there's tough genre to reproduce) is contrived at best. this has been an alternative viewpoint. thank you. farside p.s. okay, the movie UHF is pretty sweet. STANLEY SPEDOWSKI ROCKS!!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 12:05:42 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: wierd al On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, milk wrote: > p.s. okay, the movie UHF is pretty sweet. STANLEY SPEDOWSKI ROCKS!!! Don't forget that Emo Phillips was in there as well!!! Any Emo fans out there?? Alex "Exhausted from oversleep, awake but still in bed" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 12:19:57 -0500 From: Person Man/John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Re: wierd al milk wrote: > > I DON'T LIKE WIERD AL!!!!!! i've been brooding silently about whether or not > to confess this fact, and have decided to waste your time by telling you. > okay, i don't totally hate him, because his songs are somewhat entertaining > the first time one might hear them, but after that they quickly become > ANNOYING!!!! i used to know this girl that all she owned was wierd al tapes. > no other music whatsoever. she used to say that the wierd al songs were just > as catchy and just as good of songs as the originals, and that his original > songs were of a high quality. but, this is clearly NOT true, as his voice > is kind of annoying and his imitation of other styles of music, with the > exception of polka(now there's tough genre to reproduce) is contrived at > best. this has been an alternative viewpoint. thank you. > > farside > > p.s. okay, the movie UHF is pretty sweet. STANLEY SPEDOWSKI ROCKS!!! So you don't like Wierd Al, as long as you like TMBG you can say. I kinda sorta like Werid Al, and might get one of his cds so can it loud when the other in my dorm play thier crap loud, I can battle back with something besides TMBG. -- Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/ The Unoffical Pritchard Web Site & Mailing List Admin Check it out @ http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/pritchard/ Powered By FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org "Who Came up with Person Man?" -TMBG / "Who Are these guys?" TT on TMBG ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: wierd al Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 11:51:24 -0600 (CST) > kinda sorta like Werid Al, and might get one of his cds so can it loud > when the other in my dorm play thier crap loud, I can battle back with > something besides TMBG. I've always found Australian Aboriginal music works really well, too... >;-> On a side note, have the Johns ever played "Spider" at a concert? If so, how the heck did they manage to pull it off? -CJ the confused `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 96 12:58:38 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: wierd al Some DJ "Your gonna have to do a polka to keep up with weird al" In the words of John Linnell "Suddenly the crowd went mild" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 12:35:17 -0600 (CST) From: Violet Staunton Subject: the digest and sun volt the sun volt thing is kinda odd. i guess it sounds like tmbg, but more than anything else sun volt sounds like uncle tupelo, perhaps the better half of uncle tupelo, since i don't really like wilco and jay farrar has a way cooler voice than tweedy. hmm. just a little side note about all this sun volt stuff. :) -violet staunton, queen of the damned ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:37:59 -0500 From: Willy Nunn Subject: Shpidah >On a side note, have the Johns ever played "Spider" at a concert? If so, how >the heck did they manage to pull it off? Yeah, they did it at the Paradise in Boston when I went. Flansberg did the Shpidah! part and Linell did all the background parts (e.g. 'he is our hero'). It was pretty damn cool! Wilbz __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:42:37 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: wierd al On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Christopher J. Kucera wrote: > On a side note, have the Johns ever played "Spider" at a concert? If so, how > the heck did they manage to pull it off? Yes, They have. The onlyu time I ever saw Them was on 12/30/95, in Philly. They not only played Spider, but They also played James K Polk, and the Hotel Detective. Good show. Brendan Brendan Sullivan, Palindrome, Navillus Nadnerb bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 Well, it isn't the NCAA, but the NIT is just as good. GO HAWKS! ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: wierd al Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 12:52:16 -0600 (CST) > Yes, They have. The onlyu time I ever saw Them was on 12/30/95, in > Philly. They not only played Spider, but They also played James K Polk, > and the Hotel Detective. Good show. Really! Wow.... That makes me very happy, 'cause I'm seeing them the, uh, 31st of this month, I think... Anyone else going there (in Madison, I think [this is how organized I am...])? -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:54:45 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: wierd al On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Christopher J. Kucera wrote: > On a side note, have the Johns ever played "Spider" at a concert? If so, how > the heck did they manage to pull it off? Yes, They have performed Spider live, and They pulled it off pretty damn well! Alex ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: wierd al Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 12:56:20 -0600 (CST) > Yes, They have performed Spider live, and They pulled it off pretty damn > well! How 'bout Fingertips? I think that's what I had wanted to ask in the first place, but my current mental state inhibited the correct word to get down to the keyboard.... Still, Spider is cool. Did they just do the version from the album, or did They extend it at all? -CJ, who should really sleep more... `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:02:22 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: Re: wierd al On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > Don't forget that Emo Phillips was in there as well!!! Any Emo fans out > there?? > My parents used to call me "Emo," when I had a haircut kind of like his. That's the kind of thing that will give a child a complex that sticks with them forever. (They called my sister "Woody" when she got glasses, since she supposedly looked like Woody Allen.) Stop laughing. This isn't funny. Ok, it is. And I do like Emo Phillips, which was the entire point of this. -jenny, who thinks celery is swell. ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:17:51 -0500 Subject: STUMPBOX IS HERE i recieved my copy of stumpbox in the mail yesterday.. a million thanks to PHIL.... it's a really great tape... i'd recomend that any of you out there that enjoy rare live performances get a copy.... it's even got a really cool cover... nice job.. ~-=the plaguerat=-~ ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:17:43 -0500 Subject: sun volt and similarities It really makes me feel better that i wasn't the only one who heard the tmbg-like sound in the sun volt single... a local store gave away a crate full of the promo single and there's just a pile of them in my friends car... all this talk of similarities between giants fans...here's my list.. TMBG / TMJ / NoFx / SKA / Douglas Adam's books / Tori Amos / Monty Python / The original muppet show / The Maxx / Soul Coughing / cerebus / sandman / Punk / King Missile / REM / NIN / Nirvana / Jim Henson / Dr. Seus / The mighty mighty bosstones / Fez / PEZ / and many other weird and wonderous insane things........... ~-=the plaguerat=-~ 203.377.6512 "free when you call from work" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 15:49:27 -0800 From: Joanne Damico Subject: (no subject) Hello! I read my messages today and I just want everyone who is interested in the whole tmbg fans-who also have other favorite things in common to know that I love the Beatles too. I live for them! But, tmbg is a big favorite too. I just thought I'd let everyone know that I agree with this whole common favorites among tmbg thing. Little Damico ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 96 16:01:57 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: wierd al > > kinda sorta like Werid Al, and might get one of his cds so can it loud > > when the other in my dorm play thier crap loud, I can battle back with > > something besides TMBG. > > I've always found Australian Aboriginal music works really well, too... >;-> > > On a side note, have the Johns ever played "Spider" at a concert? If so, how > the heck did they manage to pull it off? > Yes they play spider as an intro to a lot of concerts. they pull it off by just sining.... ------------------------------ From: c619888@showme.missouri.edu Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 16:26:53 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: Beatles people, or Elvis people? It's interesting that we're now on the subject of TMBG as influenced by the Beatles, right after we discussed Their influence from the King. If you've either seen the cut scenes from Pulp Fiction or read the screenplay, you'll know there was a missing scene where Mia's interviewing Vince with a hand held camera before their "date." She says there are only two types of people in the world: Elvis people and Beatles people. Now Beatles people can like Elvis, and Elvis people can like the Beatles, but no one likes them equally and which you like best tells a lot about who you are. Of course, Vince was an Elvis man. But now I'm wondering about our Johns. With all the lyrics taken directly from Elvis' songs, and yet the similar feel and sound of the Beatles... Just which are They? -Lara (a Beatles woman) > I always thought there was something Beatles-ish about TMBG. I was raised on > the Beatles, and I particularly liked their more offbeat songs like > "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," "Rocky Raccoon," and "Obla De Obla Da" (sp?). I > could easily imagine TMBG doing any of them. Furthermore, "Self Called > Nowhere" sounds a whole lot like a John Lennon tune. And if "If I Wasn't > Shy" doesn't sound just like a silly Paul Mcartney love song, I don't know > what does. To top it off, my dad recently compared TMBG to the Beatles > without any prompting from me whatsoever! > > Kay, also a big Weird Al fan (freaky!) > ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: bad johns Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 18:37:03 -0500 (EST) > > > kinda sorta like Werid Al, and might get one of his cds so can it loud > > > when the other in my dorm play thier crap loud, I can battle back with > > > something besides TMBG. > > > > I've always found Australian Aboriginal music works really well, too... >;-> > > > > On a side note, have the Johns ever played "Spider" at a concert? If so, how > > the heck did they manage to pull it off? > > > > Yes they play spider as an intro to a lot of concerts. they pull it off by just > sining.... > Wow, I realize they can be a bit gluttinous on the coffee but sining during Spider? ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: sun volt and similarities (fwd) Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 18:40:26 -0500 (EST) > It really makes me feel better that i wasn't the only one who heard the > tmbg-like sound in the sun volt single... a local store gave away a crate > full of the promo single and there's just a pile of them in my friends car... > > all this talk of similarities between giants fans...here's my list.. > > TMBG / TMJ / NoFx / SKA / Douglas Adam's books / Tori Amos / Monty Python / > The original muppet show / The Maxx / Soul Coughing / cerebus / sandman / > Punk / King Missile / REM / NIN / Nirvana / Jim Henson / Dr. Seus / The *cry* must we put Nirvana with TMBG?? ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Andrew John CALLAGHAN Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 10:12:40 +1100 (EST) Subject: Re: sun volt and similarities On Tue, 19 Mar 1996 Plaguerat2@aol.com wrote: > It really makes me feel better that i wasn't the only one who heard the > tmbg-like sound in the sun volt single... a local store gave away a crate > full of the promo single and there's just a pile of them in my friends car... > > all this talk of similarities between giants fans...here's my list.. > > TMBG / TMJ / NoFx / SKA / Douglas Adam's books / Tori Amos / Monty Python / > The original muppet show / The Maxx / Soul Coughing / cerebus / sandman / > Punk / King Missile / REM / NIN / Nirvana / Jim Henson / Dr. Seus / The > mighty mighty bosstones / Fez / PEZ / and many other weird and wonderous > insane things........... > > ~-=the plaguerat=-~ > 203.377.6512 > "free when you call from work" > Colour me vague, but can I ask what this mysterious entity called Sun Vault is? Andrew Callaghan "The bellhops are funky; the dumbwaiters a monkey..." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 18:20:31 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: what we like. > I also find it amazing how many of us TMBG fans are also fans of other > things like Weird Al, Animaniacs, Douglas Adams, and countless other things > that I can't think of at the moment. i love all of those. > From a fellow Simpsons, Weird Al, Monty Python, Douglas Adams fan, i watch Simpsons religiously. > Oooo! Ooooo! Oooooo! I Know the Beatles! Blur and the Police. (okay, so > maybe not Blur and the Police) i love Police. i want them to get back together (even though they hate each other) so they can tour. > is that we are all > self proclaimed Freaks of one degree or another. In fact the majority of us > wear such a mantle with pride. I was wondering if this is a recurrent trend that's me all right. i actually pride myself in being able to find the annoying people and get them to say something along the lines of: "oh my G-D, you're sooooo weird" > in TMBG people... oh another couple are Enya and the X-files.. love em both. just got the new Enya album and i like it a lot. i missed the last X-files but i usually watch it regularly. > Anybody out there a Red Dwarf fan? All my friends who like TMBG love > Red dwarf(a hilarious british comedy that runs on different public > tv stations) Anyone else, or are we just wierd? SMEGHEAD!!!!! of course i like Red Dwarf. and if you're going into british comedy, you better be a fan of Monty Python. anybody else like Monty Python? (boy isn't that a silly question) > I always thought there was something Beatles-ish about TMBG. i don't like all Beatles, but i like the short hair cut head boppin beatles before they got into the drug stuff. > Kay, also a big Weird Al fan (freaky!) for several years, that's all i used to listen to. i had all of his albums. possibly: Star Wars, Star Trek, Bad Sci-fi (Godzilla), Muppets, The Tick, Classic Warner Bros. cartoons (Bugs, Roadrunner), 80's music(new wave) , 80's television(A-Team, Dukes of Hazaard, Knight Rider). anyone? anyone? please pass the plankton. -Bill Nye may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 19:11:08 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: moving to the sun On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Nick Hatton wrote: > don't know how many of you have heard of this one (MOving to the Sun), but I > saw it's lyrics at the ftp site, and I was wondering who else had heard of > it, and if it was like Dial-A-Song stuff, or if it was something on a new > single(to dream the impossible dream....:) and if anyone knew where I could > get it. Also Iwas wondering if I sent a tape with postage if someone could > put a bunch of Dial-A-Song goodies on it (hven't got my phone to tape > recorder thingy made yet) > Anakin > > I think that we've...you know? Have had this problem, where we, we try to > do something interesting and new and it comes off... as weird, you know? > But we're not about being weird, and once you're familiar with what we're > doing it's not weird at all, you know? It's just... It's just something > interesting and new. -John Linnell > > > Moving To The Sun, at least in North America, is available on the 1992 CD EP of The Guitar (66394-2), which also has I Blame You and Welcome To The Jungle. It's one fucking great song, but then, that goes without saying, right? Mike, who never knew until recently exactly what the first line of that song was ------------------------------ Subject: Re: moving to the sun Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 18:30:08 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Nick Hatton: >don't know how many of you have heard of this one (MOving to the Sun), but I >saw it's lyrics at the ftp site, and I was wondering who else had heard of >it, and if it was like Dial-A-Song stuff, or if it was something on a new >single(to dream the impossible dream....:) and if anyone knew where I could >get it. Also Iwas wondering if I sent a tape with postage if someone could Nobody seems to have answered this yet... Moving to the Sun is one of the B-sides on the "The Guitar" single. It's sort a funky reggaeish tune. I got my copy at our local Best Buy (the big electronics superstore). ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 21:09:42 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: moving to the sun wait a second...are we talking about the same moving to the sun...? the one that i know (and the only one, i think!) is definitely not funky/reggae-ish...hmmm...anyone out there who can offer some help...? the first line is: While we were staring at the Citgo sign... right? okay, someone just ket me know if i'm totally loopy, or what...well, i guess THAT goes without saying, but, i mean, fill me in! also, this is a silly question, i'm sure...but the other day when i put in my Misc. t disc, i noticed (funny that i didn't before...) the numbers at the bottom of the big MISC going across the disc itself...the numbers are: 72646-2 anyone know what this means...? i realize that all cd's have numbers like this, but they are generally smaller...so why enlarged on misc. t...just to be silly? oh, and i was raised on the Beatles, too! (love 'em!) thanks guys! --Fran AKA The Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 21:39:58 E Subject: these are a few of my favorite things.... raindrops on snowbells and whiskers on mittens brown copper kittens all tied up with geese... okay maybe not ANYWAY... I love this little trend of ooh ooh, we all like these things... so here are my contributions, basing it on the the list: Tracy's Top However Many I Can Think Of Things I Like: 1. TMBG (duh, can I pet the rabbits George?) 2. X-Files \ 3. Enya 4. The Simpsons 5. Weird Al 6. REM 7. Sting/The Police 8. The Beatles (I love the weirdies like Maxwell's Silver Hammer too) Okay these were all mentioned by at least one person... oh yeah and 9. Douglas Adams and 10. Monty Python my other things are: Seinfeld, ER, Frasier, MST 3K (c'mon, there have to be Mystery Science Theater fans out there!!) 10,000 Maniacs, chicken marsala, Stephen King, Piers Anthony, marching band, plaid sneakers, Steve Martin (he is a GOD), old SNL, Dead Poets Society, LA Story, Braveheart, *Star Wars* (all my favorite movies), bad 80s movies, funky 80s songs, the Temptations, Emily Dickinson, peanut butter, dictionaries, country music, Toad the Wet Sprocket, talk shows, October, and Simon & Garfunkel. That pretty much sums up who is Tracy Marie Grazioli... here is my question for the day... all you REM fans out there (I love their music but don't really like them the way I like John and John...): You know the song "Underneath the Bunker" or whatever it's called on Life's Rich Pagaent (I think that's what it's on)...anyway you know that vocal before the actual vocal (not the I will hide and you will hide etc) that's sort of like ooh oohhhh -- what TMBG song has that in it? Or at least something similar? This is my test...actually I don't have the answer and I don't feel like listening to all my TMBG tapes until 3 am just to find out... please someone know what I am talking about, I don't want to seem like I'm making a *total* fool out of myself... I'm just so damned happy that my account is allowing me to do this... here's a bad top ten list for you: Tracy's Top Ten Secrets of Mailing Listers: 10. Jeanette: working undercover as a spy from the Coolio mailing list 9. Alex: Chippendale's dancer 8. Jenny: Head of a farm animal prostitution ring in Texas 7. Jon: Writes pornographic trombone music 6. Brother John Blackhawk: is a 95 year old woman 5. Leo: Slept with Madonna 4. Matt James: sold his soul to Satan for concert tickets 3. Kay: celebrity stalker of Yoko Ono 2. That guy who was really rude but left: Is a Jesuit priest 1. Tracy: professional sumo wrestler and massage therapist Stay tuned for the Top Ten Mailing List Yearbook Poll Results! I love youse guys... Tracy, who did a great imitation of Yoda yesterday.... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 21:35:20 From: Momaw@mail-e2b-service.gnn.com Subject: TMBG (duh!!!) Does anyone know when TMBG is making their next album? I've been waiting forever. When are John and John going to tour again? (and does the song "End Of The Tour" mean that they aren't going to tour agian? (GASP!!!!)) If anyone has a list of tour dates, please send! Lastly, if anyone speaks a foregin langauage, check out this site (Linnel wrote it): http://www.europa.com/~alittlew/tmbg/phrases.text See Ya :) => ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:00:45 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: what I like people seem to be doing this so I will too. Aside from TMBG here is what makes my world go round: (in no particular order) The Simpsons, of course, the best show TV Nation we need Michael Moore James Cameron John Woo Tim Burton Danny Elfman Stanley Kubrick Paul Reubens XTC King Missile REM Max Headroom Elliot Goldenthal Ridley Scott Calvin and Hobbes David Lynch Star Wars Evil Dead II Peter Jackson Jackie Chan Chow Yun-Fat The Streets Of San Francisco Theme from Space: 1999 Jaws Clint Eastwood John Wayne Quentin Tarantino a good time with my friends and of course They Might Be Giants Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 22:28:19 -0600 From: Mitch Fishman Organization: Association for associated associates Subject: Who's in the band now? oooookay you mercury lounge-goers. Who exactly is in the band now. They'll be here in St. Louis next week and I want no surprises. Besides, I need to make placecards for when I invite them over after the show for coffee & marble cake! -- Mitch Fishman mitchf@mo.net srpescado@aol.com 773 Gascogne Dr. Creve Coeur, MO 63141 Visit! http://walden.mo.net/~mitchf !tisiV ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:01:32 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Why We Like What We Like At least, this is my theory as to why we all like these things... All of the things mentioned have on thing in common: They are all Good Things. See, in this world, there are Good Things and there are Bad Things. Good Things are good, and Bad Things are bad. Bad Things include intolerence, killing, prejudice, and "Full House." Good Things are things like TMBG, Tori Amos, Monty Python, and the other things we've listed, because we are (obviously) all creatures of impeccable good taste, and we know a Good Thing when we see it. And I agree with you all completely (except for the Nirvana reference...ecch...) ________________ Jenna Davis jenna@onramp.net "All men are intrinsical rascals, and I am only sorry that not being a dog I can't bite them..." -Lord Byron ------------------------------ From: Andrew John CALLAGHAN Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 16:01:04 +1100 (EST) Subject: Re: what I like On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > > people seem to be doing this so I will too. Aside from TMBG here > is what makes my world go round: (in no particular order) > > The Simpsons, of course, the best show > TV Nation we need Michael Moore Michael Moore? Are we talking about a renamed version of the ABC (Austrailian Broadcasting Commision) show Frontline? Behind the scene at a current affairs show. Absolute riot. I may as well stick in my top 10 ** 10. Wierd Al 9. Superman 8. Mr Floppy (Australian Band) 7. TISM ( " " ) 6. Jackie Chan 5. All of the Chinese Ghost Story movies 4. Manga in general 3. Hurling (now THAT'S a sport) 2. Cats (not the musical - the real thing) 1. TMBG (what did you think it would be, NKOTB?) Andrew Callaghan What's this obsession with putting quotes down here? ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 01:06:31 -0500 Subject: Re: what I like Oh, my! Unless I've been skimming this thread too fast and missed it, I don't think anyone's mentioned Kids in the Hall--goes along _so_ well with TMBG. They both espouse a view of life that many think is too strange, but I find all too normal. In fact, KitH is _largely_ responsible for my discovery of TMBG (but that's another, rather long, story. And, as if that weren't proof enough, TMBG is on the upcoming KitH movie soundtrack. Well, gotta rediscover sleeping now Kay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 01:13:13 -0500 From: Person Man/John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Re: Why We Like What We Like Jenna Davis wrote: > > At least, this is my theory as to why we all like these things... > > All of the things mentioned have on thing in common: They are all Good > Things. See, in this world, there are Good Things and there are Bad > Things. Good Things are good, and Bad Things are bad. Bad Things include > intolerence, killing, prejudice, and "Full House." Good Things are things Hey you forget the center of all things bad in the universe, Famliy Maters(The show with Urkle) I will agrree with about that TMBG fans see to have good tases. I am not going to post a list of stuff I like becuase it would be the same as evrybody else's. But Here a list any way Top Ten Bad things 10. People who hate TMBG 9. Homophobics 8. American Famliy Association 7. Religous Right 6. Bill Clinton 5. Pat Buchanna 4. Bob Dole 3. Rap Music 2. Family Matters 1. Steve Urkkle (Note for the humor impaired: This is a joke, please don't start a flame about anything on this list) -- Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/ The Unoffical Pritchard Web Site & Mailing List Admin Check it out @ http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/pritchard/ Powered By FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org "Who Came up with Person Man?" -TMBG / "Who Are these guys?" TT on TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:32:29 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: what I like Like List: They Might Be Giants Patricia Highsmith's Ripley novels movies (westerns, noir, screwball comedies, Hitchcock, etc.) Elizabethan culture the New York School poets (Ashbery, Padgett, etc.) Cinnamon Toast Crunch Nabokov '70s punk %Seinfeld%, %Prime Suspect%, %X-Files% Robert Crumb Dislike List: Alanis Morrisette (sp?) Oliver Stone movies Pound & Eliot Camille Paglia Rush Limbaugh, etc. hominy %Piers Plowman% %Home Improvement% that guy who does those sports paintings, Leroy Niemann or whatever his name is the wrestler guy in the Slim Jim ads --Kasey "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-80 *****************************