Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-81 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 81 Thursday, 21 March 1996 Today's Topics: Re: what I like Re: Why We Like What We Like Similarity stuff.... E-town update Some favorite things... Digested Boba Mail Re: Similarity stuff.... (none) anybody out there? Re: TMBG reoccuring trends Re: Why We Like What We Like the movie you're making i'm a lumberjack.... Re: TMBG reoccuring trends mono puff, states songs Re: TMBG reoccuring trends Re: moving to the sun I like you, you like me. Re: I like you, you like me. faVoriTe ThiNgS Re: what I like More TMBG fan trends Beatles/TMBG Spider in Concert Likes and Dislikes Re: I like you, you like me. Schizoid Ramblings of a Bavarian Tree Monk Re: TMBG: Beatles people, or Elvis people? Re: sun volt and similarities (fwd) Red Dwarf Re: Red Dwarf "it's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere..." have to go, have to go.. (none) MorE faVoriTe ThiNgS Re: Red Dwarf What we all like Dial-a-Song in a strange place Re: your mail Snail Dust! Re: Beatles/TMBG Re: your mail Likes, dislikes and the question of the day Stumpbox Re: your mail Administrivia question ben folds five Re: No Subject Re: Re: question phil ochs Red Dwarf (fwd) me crazy Re: these are a few of my favorite things.... Stumpbox Re: ben folds five Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 08:02:13 -0500 Subject: Re: what I like Everybody doing it so before it's to late and the penalty for saying what I like is bludgoening to death, I'll say what I like, that no one else has said Bands: Ween Beck (look, it's not rap, he's making fun, Linnell likes Beck and I can prove it) Primus Frente Elastic (several other even more mainstream bands I won't admit to for fear of being cast into the flames) Computer Stuff: Web design Messing with the heads of BBS sysops Occasional bits of 'puter art Authors: Crichton Jacques somebody John Christopher C. S. Lewis (so my tastes are juvenile, sue me) TV: Ned 'n' Stacy making fun of various "Spelling" productions Strange Luck Sliders (you thought I was gonna say Space above and beyond, didn't you?) making a point of not watching ABC and CBS ('cept for the Alphabetman) Conan O'Brien (he likes the Simpsons, and I bet he likes Tmbg) me wot prolly fergot lotts 'n' lotts o' stuef wot me loik the anthology fucking rules ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Why We Like What We Like Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 07:59:34 -0600 (CST) > All of the things mentioned have on thing in common: They are all Good > Things. See, in this world, there are Good Things and there are Bad > Things. Good Things are good, and Bad Things are bad. Bad Things include > intolerence, killing, prejudice, and "Full House." Good Things are things I've always found that everything that actually exists can be defined fairly well using five simple phrases: "Bad thing," "good thing," "nummy," "icky," and "cool." ("Not Cool" could be considered a sixth, but in all honesty most of the time it's unnecessary. Try it out... It works most of the time..... -CJ, who needs some more coffee `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Similarity stuff.... Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 08:07:07 -0600 (CST) I've been thinking this over, and I think that _possibly_ aside from a few major things (on the order of TMBG itself...), it's completely impossible to say "We all like this" or "we all like that." I see TMBG as an expression of individualism and nonconformity... To say that "because we like TMBG we must, by default, like other things as well" would be hypocritical. I love TMBG dearly, and they're one of my favorite bands. I also like Korn, Bad Religion, NIN, Alanis, Yanni, Rachmaninoff, Ministry, Primus, Boys 2 Men, Dizzy Gillespie, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, and millions of other things that I really don't want to list... How can you possibly stereotype that into anything other than the broad "diverse?" Now I look back at this and realize that I've been preaching about an issue that's not even really there, since you're all just comparing notes... Guess I just wanted to voice my little opinion... :) (again, apologies if I started to preach....) -CJ, who's gonna go get that coffee now..... `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 09:39:57 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: E-town update The concert person for e-town called my house yesterday (because I asked them to) but I wasn't home so my mom took the message and they said the tickets will now go on sale April 1 (i think they made a mistake though, try march 26) and you can charge them and pick them up there. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 09:42:21 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Some favorite things... I'm all too happy to jump on this band(width)wagon. TMBG DEVO The Dead Milkmen Skinny Puppy Kate Bush Frontline Assembly The Evolution Control Committee (ask me about it!) Johann Sebastian Bach Doron Zeilberger (the Crazy Combinatorist!) Joel and Ethan Coen David Lynch Babylon 5 The Tick The Muppets Zot! Milk and Cheese Naughty Bits Those Annoying Post Bros./ Savage Henry The Amazing Cynicalman Samuel R. Delaney PEZ Jolt! Skeleteens' Black Lemonade Adobe Photoshop Macromedia Director this is getting a little long, so I'll stop. -Sean seakin@umich.edu ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 09:50:36 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail Madam, I'm Adam, I'm not really Adam, it's me Matthew! I was on the phone with my friend Margaret the other night. I was about to tell her about what everyone said about 'Everything You Know Is Wrong'. Then she interrupted and said, "Me and Alison and her lesbian friend were at Sam Goody on Saturday. They were playing the Weird Al album in there and I heard this cool song which reminded me of See The Constellation. I asked the guy behind the counter if it was supposed to be some sort of TMBG thing. He said I think so." My friend Margaret isn't the biggest fan of TMBG, but if she thought that this was so, then I'm sure it must be so. The reason that I think this is valid is because we are all hard core Giant Heads, we're looking for this kind of stuff. She just happened to hear it and made a correlation. On the Hamlet note, Kill, Kill, Kill, Kill me now, could be what Hamlet's mind thought the King was saying to him: "Oh, Hamlet, kill me now, c'mon, do it." I don't know let me know what you think. I am a Beatles man. I live in PA, where is Elizabethtown? Who's willing to copy tapes for me, other than Alex, who already is. > And, as if that weren't proof enough, TMBG is on the > upcoming KitH movie soundtrack. The Kids in the Hall movie soundtrack song by TMBG; is it new, old, light, or bold. Fill us in. Kasey Hicks, you no lika da Macho Man: "Snap In To It, Oh Yeah!" & "Art thou bored?" are 2 of my favorite quotes! :-) Oh, by the way I do change my clothes at least once a week, for those of you who were disgusted about: >I would like to declare something right now: >Ever since I heard Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes in >December of 1992, I have been wearing the same clothes: >My Big Head TMBG shirt, My jeans with the pocket on the >right knee and my crappy boots. Just thought I'd share. I admit that this was totally uncalled for, and I apologize to those who vomited. I think that's all for me. Boba Out. <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 10:22:23 -0500 From: Willy Nunn Subject: Re: Similarity stuff.... At 08:07 AM 3/20/96 -0600, you wrote: > I've been thinking this over, and I think that _possibly_ aside from >a few major things (on the order of TMBG itself...), it's completely >impossible to say "We all like this" or "we all like that." > I see TMBG as an expression of individualism and nonconformity... To >say that "because we like TMBG we must, by default, like other things as well" >would be hypocritical. I think as a general stereotype of TMBG listeners,we are all nonconformists (boy is that an oxy moronic statement or what). We listen to TMBG because we enjoy the music, and it expresses our individualistic nature. TMBG people are not the conform to non-conformity Pearl Jam kind of people, but people who carry a true exxpression of their individualistic nature. Hence as a result we have a lot of similarities in the things we like, because many of them are also unusual and/or individualistsic. The fact that we don't all like the same things is to be expected, because of this true individuality. I hate being stereotyped, such as when I came to the East Coast for college, people figured that I lived in Washington hence I had to live somewhere near Seattle, and hence all that I should listen to is Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc.... I take being wierd as a compliment because it is a reaffirmation of the fact that I am an individual, and I don't always act the way people 'expect' me to (and a reaffirmation of the fact that I have a sugar intake ten times that of the 'average American'). Thusly, if anyone doesn't like something that someone else puts up as an enjoyment of theirs, good for you, it means you are (gasp) not that person. And when you put up something that you enjoy, don't go asking people not to send you flames for enjoying something, be proud of it, It's your life and for your enjoyment, not their's. Well, this has been a cathartic experience, so hence feel free to send me some cathartic flames (just no e-mail bombs, while the intention might be a release of anger my sys-admins would not understand it as I do, and therefore would get rather pissed). Wilbz __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 10:26:04 -0500 difficult to say that there are certain things that TMBG fans like, across the board. As I've looked over the things that people have listed, I've not seen a lot of "favorites" that I would describe as being mine as well. Certainly, I like KITH, but I don't have cable anymore, so scratch that one. I love Michael Moore, but I'd probably list Ben Hamper before I would list Moore. And Hal Hartley is my favorite director. Musically, I love TMBG, but I also really like Jawbreaker, Mr T Experience, Born Against, and Rocket From The Crypt, to name only a few. The one thing I do think TMBG fans have in common - We seem extrodinarily nice and, well, communal. My friends and I have been bringing candy to the ML shows to pass around while we're all waiting, which has given me a chance to talk to many people. There is certainly a "Smell of Love" everywhere. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com (John Iacoletti) Subject: anybody out there? Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 10:17:53 -0600 (CST) Is this list still going? I haven't gotten anything in ages .... -- John Iacoletti IBM - Team AIX Austin, Texas johniac@austin.ibm.com or johniac@vnet.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 10:25:47 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Namgar Subject: Re: TMBG reoccuring trends Well, actually, no, TMBG is my favorite band, and still, I don't really think Red Dwarf is that cool. However, I might be able to think that TMBG fans would also like Cartoon Planet or Space Ghost Coast to Coast? Rock's Chosen Warriors Will Rule The Apocalypse! (jr10899@www.cedarnet.org) On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Christopher J. Kucera wrote: > > Anybody out there a Red Dwarf fan? All my friends who like TMBG love > > Red dwarf(a hilarious british comedy that runs on different public > > tv stations) Anyone else, or are we just wierd? > > Andrew McAninch > > YES!!! absolutely! Red Dwarf smegging rocks! I think that just about anyone > that can put up with tmbg and come out liking They would like Red Dwarf.... > Or maybe not.... Hmmmm.... > > -CJ > `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` > `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` > CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu > "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 10:36:23 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Namgar Subject: Re: Why We Like What We Like I happen to like "Full House!" How could you say that the Oleson twins are bad!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? There hasn't been a show that good since "Growing Pains!" Rock's Chosen Warriors Will Rule The Apocalypse! (jr10899@www.cedarnet.org) On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Jenna Davis wrote: > At least, this is my theory as to why we all like these things... > > All of the things mentioned have on thing in common: They are all Good > Things. See, in this world, there are Good Things and there are Bad > Things. Good Things are good, and Bad Things are bad. Bad Things include > intolerence, killing, prejudice, and "Full House." Good Things are things > like TMBG, Tori Amos, Monty Python, and the other things we've listed, > because we are (obviously) all creatures of impeccable good taste, and we > know a Good Thing when we see it. > > And I agree with you all completely (except for the Nirvana > reference...ecch...) > > ________________ > Jenna Davis > jenna@onramp.net > > "All men are intrinsical rascals, > and I am only sorry that not being a dog > I can't bite them..." > -Lord Byron > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:18:23 -0600 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: the movie you're making > Anyway, I thought I would use this forum to announce to everybody >that I plan to use a TMBG song in my newest short film, Flying Tin, >which is in the fine cut picture stage. Basically, I am a graduating >film student and I wanted to make a film which for once did not use music >which had not been cleared. I had a burning desire to use the King >Missile song Wind-Up Toys, so I asked John S. Hall if I could and he said >yes! That was back when I thought that it would be the only song I would >use and the rest of the music would be original score. However this >original score thing is taking too long and might not be ready and I was >unable to keep myself from imagining this film with a TMBG song in it, >since TMBG are my favourite band and on a certain level it would be wrong >for me to make a film without one of their songs in it right? Well, this >is a public announcement that, unless somebody involved with TMBG says >not to, I am going to open the film with the demo version of When It >Rains It Snows. With this message I give plenty of notice to John and >John, to Bill Krauss, to Bo Orloff, to anyone who might care. The sound >mix is still a ways off so I won't be finalising it just yet but >this is the song that I want to use. And I am still using the King >Missile track at the end, once again by permission of Mr. John S. Hall. >So there you go. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but technically, what you are doing is illegal, even if you love TMBG. You probably already know this if you are a film student, but there aren't many tournee's which will accept a film for touring purposes if they don't have proof that all copyrighted materials have been cleared for festival use by the owners. You should at least try to get the rights legally first. The most it could cost for a band like TMBG is a couple of hundred dollars. That might seem like a lot, but it's less money than if you get sued by Warner Bros. for copyright violations. It's not hard. Just fill out the forms or make some phone calls. But, unfortunately, making a public statement on the internet does not make what you plan to do legal, although I wish it did because I'd be using all of their songs in my films. Good luck. Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 12:19:34 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: i'm a lumberjack.... i think this whole "i like, i don't like" thing is nice to a point, but can we not post things that may offend people that are actually involved in the organizations you are saying that suck? it's highly offensive to see something that i am involved in that is posted on this list as something that sucks. keep your rude comments to yourself, this is for they might be giants news, info, and commentary, not for bashing political parties and tv shows..... thanks, i will turn off my bitch hat now. we return you to your normal programming..... :) aims `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` "I don't fall in love, I just fall." -Paul Sebold EAT KRILL FOR A BETTER AMERICA aimee elisabeth pflieger http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ From: "Andrew" Organization: northland.edu Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:22:33 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG reoccuring trends > Well, actually, no, TMBG is my favorite band, and still, I don't really > think Red Dwarf is that cool. However, I might be able to think that TMBG > fans would also like Cartoon Planet or Space Ghost Coast to Coast? Well, to bad about the Red Dwarf thing, but Space Ghost is pretty hilarious. How about the Tick. The Tick is pretty good too. Andrew McAninch Do not hate. Hatred is a form of subjective involvment that binds you closer to the hated object. -I Ching ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: mono puff, states songs Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:33:44 -0500 (EST) Well now that I got my hands on these I must say that the States songs are just fantastic! Especially South Carolina, Linnell';s voice in that is just freakin' wacky to the extreme!! Makes me want to bounce up and down as if I were at a concert listening, Maine rocks, Oregon is just funny (Oregon is bad too!), Pennsylvania is a neat little ditty, Nevada is pretty darn wacky too with the parade and the parachutes and girls who love Nevada, weird stuff. Mono Puff is pretty good but does not rank nearly as high as the States songs. Spiralling Shape is pretty good too. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 13:30:44 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: TMBG reoccuring trends > > Well, actually, no, TMBG is my favorite band, and still, I don't really > > think Red Dwarf is that cool. However, I might be able to think that TMBG > > fans would also like Cartoon Planet or Space Ghost Coast to Coast? > > Well, to bad about the Red Dwarf thing, but Space Ghost is pretty > hilarious. How about the Tick. The Tick is pretty good too. Well I love space ghost, its pretty funny (well not latley) but anyway its pretty funny. I like the tick too, but I never usually watch it because I always forget about it. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: moving to the sun Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 12:32:50 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of The Vonnegut Vassal: >wait a second...are we talking about the same moving to the sun...? the Yes. >one that i know (and the only one, i think!) is definitely not >funky/reggae-ish...hmmm...anyone out there who can offer some help...? >the first line is: >While we were staring at the Citgo sign... While they were staring at the Citgo sign Is when they lost our trail. ["blinded by the light"] They thought we were part of a caravan, But we had other plans. I think our definitions of "funky/reggaeish" don't quite match. >also, this is a silly question, i'm sure...but the other day when i put >in my Misc. t disc, i noticed (funny that i didn't before...) the numbers >at the bottom of the big MISC going across the disc itself...the numbers are: >72646-2 >anyone know what this means...? That's the Bar-None Album Catalog Number Thingy(tm). In John Relph's excellent TMBG Discography, you can find the BNACNTs for all the TMBG albums, singles, etc. >i realize that all cd's have numbers like this, but they are generally >smaller...so why enlarged on misc. t...just to be silly? Of course. This IS TMBG we're talking about :) ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: I like you, you like me. Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 14:11:32 18000 Well! I just thought I'd jump in and talk about me. I think it's true a lot of us have similarities! I like Monty Python, Douglas Adams, Kids In The Hall, And such. However, and this might make me different from the majority of TMBGers.... I hate coffee! I never, ever drink it, in any flavor or form, because it tastes AWFUL to me. But hey. That's just me, and I like it! -Tom I guess (I was an "I" and now I am a "V") -- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:52:11 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: I like you, you like me. On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > Well! I just thought I'd jump in and talk about me. I think it's true > a lot of us have similarities! I like Monty Python, Douglas Adams, > Kids In The Hall, And such. However, and this might make me different > from the majority of TMBGers.... I hate coffee! I never, ever drink > it, in any flavor or form, because it tastes AWFUL to me. But hey. > That's just me, and I like it! > > > -Tom I guess (I was an "I" and now I am a "V") > > -- > I rarely drink coffee. but when I do I am known to swallow. i also use more sugar than is safe for a human to consume mike. ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: faVoriTe ThiNgS Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 11:56:00 P Well, every body else was sending in their favorite things, so I guess I could to. Music: TMBG Beatles Simon & Garfunkle Wonder Stuff Bare Naked Ladies Enya Gaelic Music Classical R.E.M. Akira Soundtrack Donavan U2 The Connels The Beautiful South The Ocean Blue etc. Can't think of others. Movies: Holy Grail Life of Brian Ranma 1/2 Strange Brew Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Return of the Jedi AKIRA etc... Activities: Rock Climbing MOUNTAIN BIKING Camping Sailing SNowBoarding Ad&D/White Wolf POetry Playing music, (on my instuments) Snow Camping Hiking LISTENING TO TMBG etc... Well that's about it for me. I can't think right now, so don't mind me. Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:57:12 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: what I like On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Andrew John CALLAGHAN wrote: > > > On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > > > > people seem to be doing this so I will too. Aside from TMBG here > > is what makes my world go round: (in no particular order) > > > > The Simpsons, of course, the best show > > TV Nation we need Michael Moore > > Michael Moore? Are we talking about a renamed version of the ABC > (Austrailian Broadcasting Commision) show Frontline? Behind the scene at > a current affairs show. Absolute riot. > I don't know if you're talking about the same thing...Michael Moore made the films Roger And Me (1989) and Canadian Bacon (1994). He also hosts and produces and directs the satirical news-magazine show TV Nation, which ran in the summer of 1994 on NBC and the summer of 1995 on FOX. I'd like to know more about the show you mentioned, if it is not the same show as I suspect it is not. I love Michael Moore. He is a heroic crusader for the truth. He is also absurd and weird as hell. TMBG fans should love him. Mike. PS Canadians get more of the jokes in Canadian Bacon than the Americans. But you should all see it anyway for a much needed injection of Canuck culture. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:00:19 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: More TMBG fan trends OK, I had a list of them going a couple of posts ago, and I have to add Python and Red Dwarf. I think British comedies in general could also be added.... I had a bigger list once... We should collect all of them and post a major list on here.... Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:02:15 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Beatles/TMBG Sorry to double post, but not only do I want to add The Beatles to the previous list, I also want to point out a song that I find especially Beatlesish. The Replacements. What does everyone think about that? Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:46:00 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Spider in Concert Ok, Once again I"m sorry for posting so many times in a row, but I have a lot to catch up on... They played Spider at the ML show I went to on the 14th and it was cool. The song is actually quite simple, and all of the odd "haawwww" noises are John Flansburgh's voice. It's really just the two of them singing back and forth woth the keyboard, guitar, drums, and bass in the background. Ana Ng OK, I'll save this and not send it until I finish reading everything to see if I have anything else to say so I don't overload the list.... But of course, now that I come up with this ingenious idea, this is the last thing I'll have to say. *sigh* WOW! I found something else to say: > in TMBG people... oh another couple are Enya and the X-files.. >love em both. just got the new Enya album and i like it a lot. i missed >the last X-files but i usually watch it regularly. I have to agree that I love Enya, and the Simpsons, and I've only seen X-files once, but I liked it. I forgot to mention that I'm a MAJOR Red Dwarf fan, and other british comedies like Are You Being Served and Fawlty Towers, not just Python, because that goes without saying! :) I just thought of another one: MST3K!!!! I have to agree with the 80's music (some of it), but how about things like Piers Anthony books, like the Incarnations of Immortality seies? Anyone? >1. TMBG (duh, can I pet the rabbits George?) >2. X-Files \ >3. Enya >4. The Simpsons >5. Weird Al >6. REM >7. Sting/The Police >8. The Beatles (I love the weirdies like Maxwell's Silver Hammer too) I have to say that I answered most of these already but I'd have to say I'm listening to REM right now. I love the song Maxwell's Silver Hammer!!!!!!!!! :) OK, that's IT! I'm going to make an official list. Here's how it will work: If anyone has something they think should be added to the list of "TMBG FAN TRENDS" then e-mail it to me: kerrel@uwec.edu Have thse in by the end of March, and on the 31st or so, I'll post this list and everyone can vote and then I'll post the official list of things with the most votes. Sound good? This will be fun! :) OK. I have found everything I need to say except for one more thing: If you put your list on the last digest (today's Wednesday's) then I got it. If not, mail me your favorite things or anything else you thing TMBG people have in common. I decided to do only good things because I want to keep the list positive, and if I do both it will be LONGER THAN, well, you know what! :) Especially before the voting! So, Mail me by the end of the month and we can find out what we all like! :) Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 15:40:30 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Likes and Dislikes Being that it has been a few years since I came up with an original thought, I figured I'd join in on this Likes/Dislifes list (hence, the subject) LIKES ^^^^^ TMBG Hootie and the Blowfish Pearl Jam Fish (especially scrod-- say the name. It's funny. Scrod. :) SJU Basketball-- all the way to MSG Weird Al Star Wars Sliders (Best show on TV) ER SportsCenter Wu-Tang Clan (I know..... Nothing like TMBG, but I'm REALLY open minded about my music.) Lauren Perino (My quasi-girlfriend, and a cheerleader at SJU) ESPN Cheesesteaks (Especially Larrys, on 53rd Street) The Sixers, Flyers, Eagles, and Phillies (Philly sport teams) Big 5 B'ball X-Men The videos from Foo Fighters, Presidents of USA, and Spike Jonze DISLIKES ^^^^^^^^ Racism Homophobes Anyone with a closed mind My RA My nextdoor neighbor, who eats everything he finds. And that's about it. Talk to you all later. Brendan Brendan Sullivan, National Chairman for 'Life Sucks, Get A Helmet" bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 Well, it isn't the NCAA, but the NIT is just as good. GO HAWKS! BEAT RHODE ISLAND! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 15:42:05 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: I like you, you like me. On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > > > from the majority of TMBGers.... I hate coffee! I never, ever drink > > it, in any flavor or form, because it tastes AWFUL to me. But hey. > > That's just me, and I like it! > > > I rarely drink coffee. but when I do I am known to swallow. > i also use more sugar than is safe for a human to consume > Is there another way to drink it? :) Brendan Sullivan, Palindrome, Navillus Nadnerb bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 Well, it isn't the NCAA, but the NIT is just as good. GO HAWKS! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:45:01 -0600 (CST) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Schizoid Ramblings of a Bavarian Tree Monk > Hey, "She's an Angel" is Linnell's most beautiful song, and I don't think he > sounds at all like Big Bird (or any Muppet for that matter). But the way he I love "She's an Angel", but I agree Linnell does sometimes sound like Big Bird singing. Which is not really bad. It's sortof comforting, like being transported back into your childhood. > The original muppet show / The Maxx / Soul Coughing / cerebus / sandman / Yeah! ^^^^^^^ > *cry* must we put Nirvana with TMBG?? Nobody put them *with* TMBG did they? It's just what they like. You know, most of the people on this list seem to like kinda happy, poppy type music, but TMBG is really the just about the only cheerful (the music anyway) pop-sounding band I like. My other favs are usally either depressed/depressing, angry, spacey-weird-no human emotions, or all of these. Hmm. > i don't like all Beatles, but i like the short hair cut head boppin > beatles before they got into the drug stuff. Funny, I'm the opposite. I really only like Rubber Soul and after. > Star Wars, Star Trek, Bad Sci-fi (Godzilla), Muppets, The Tick, Classic Yeah, again! The comic book, anyway. The TV shows too ^^^^ much like every other superhero, though an odd one. The few comics I've seen are just *out there*. The ninjas-"No, really, we're a hedge...please move along" , the Man-Eating Cow, and Monolith, KY....I love those. > Top Ten Bad things > 9. Homophobics > 7. Religous Right Let's generalize: closed minds. > 6. Bill Clinton > 5. Pat Buchanna > 4. Bob Dole Again, let's generalize: politics. > Rush Limbaugh, etc. May he go far, far away. Soon. Are there any other William Gibson/"cyberpunk" fans out there? End. %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:47:18 -0800 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: TMBG: Beatles people, or Elvis people? At 04:26 PM 3/19/96 -0600, you wrote: > >It's interesting that we're now on the subject of TMBG as influenced by >the Beatles, right after we discussed Their influence from the King. > >If you've either seen the cut scenes from Pulp Fiction or read the >screenplay, you'll know there was a missing scene where Mia's >interviewing Vince with a hand held camera before their "date." She says >there are only two types of people in the world: Elvis people and Beatles >people. Now Beatles people can like Elvis, and Elvis people can like the >Beatles, but no one likes them equally and which you like best tells a >lot about who you are. Of course, Vince was an Elvis man. > >But now I'm wondering about our Johns. With all the lyrics taken directly >from Elvis' songs, and yet the similar feel and sound of the Beatles... > >Just which are They? I'd say Beatles, but I might be mistaken, especially in Flansburgh's case. From what I can tell in the FAQ, Flansburgh's favorite singer is Frank Sinatra, which would explain the songs like "If I wasn't shy." BlueDawg....ain't nothin' but a weird hound dog, and an Elvis one at that. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com My rules of life: Drive a Jeep, Think clearly often, Don't put Spam in your Chicken Gumbo, and most important Listen to They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:47:24 -0800 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: sun volt and similarities (fwd) At 06:40 PM 3/19/96 -0500, you wrote: >> It really makes me feel better that i wasn't the only one who heard the >> tmbg-like sound in the sun volt single... a local store gave away a crate >> full of the promo single and there's just a pile of them in my friends car... >> >> all this talk of similarities between giants fans...here's my list.. >> >> TMBG / TMJ / NoFx / SKA / Douglas Adam's books / Tori Amos / Monty Python / >> The original muppet show / The Maxx / Soul Coughing / cerebus / sandman / >> Punk / King Missile / REM / NIN / Nirvana / Jim Henson / Dr. Seus / The >*cry* must we put Nirvana with TMBG?? At least he didn't say Smashing Pumpkins....or Oasis for that matter. I do like "Drown" by Son Volt, tho. Although I don't think I'll buy the album, yet. BlueDawg Does anyone else have my problem with typing in the list address in the CC: line, and always typing tmbg-list@tmbg.com, by habit of putting .com on the end of everything? ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com My rules of life: Drive a Jeep, Think clearly often, Don't put Spam in your Chicken Gumbo, and most important Listen to They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 16:52:53 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: Red Dwarf Would someone mind telling me who Red Dwarf is? Please? ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Red Dwarf Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 15:19:50 -0800 (PST) > > Would someone mind telling me who Red Dwarf is? Please? > Its some kind of Asian anime, i think. (No flames for this response, pleez.) a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 18:20:03 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: "it's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere..." > Would someone mind telling me who Red Dwarf is? Please? Red Dwarf is this smeggin' awesome tv show from britain about a mining ship that is stuck in space. the characters include one human named Lister, a being that evolved from Lister's cat over millions of years (Lister was put in stasis just before some sort of chemical accident occured on the ship that killed off the entire staff), an annoying hologram named Rimmer and the ship's computer, Holly. it's a hoot. it's kind of an acquired taste...my friends think it's terribly stupid, but i love it. speaking of tmbg, i'm finally going to get to go to my first concert next weekend. after all this time of being a fan, the time has finally come...of course, sophie and i have to journey to another STATE, but that's ok. MICHAEL LOSHKIN.....COME IN, BERLIN. WE NEED TO CHAT. WHERE ARE WE STAYING? WHERE DO WE MEET YOU? waving my broomstick arms, aimee `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` "I don't fall in love, I just fall." -Paul Sebold EAT KRILL FOR A BETTER AMERICA aimee elisabeth pflieger http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: have to go, have to go.. Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 23:23:25 +0000 (GMT) Hiya everybody.. Well, I have to toddle off home soon, and so I thought I'd take up a minute of all your lives just to tell you all how much I enjoy getting all this mail: you add a dimension of sophistication to my mailbox rare up here in the Midlands! And I am also proud on behalf of my all fellow citizens that you have the good taste to like British comedy too.. One more thing; Matt James, You Are One *Wonderful* Human Being! Massive hugs for a whole lot of stuff that I am sure you know all about Well, see you all in five weeks (eek!) Nicola ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 17:38:52 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Lets do a survey: 1. Which John do you like better? 2. What is your favorite TMBG album? 3. What is your favorite TMBG song? ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: MorE faVoriTe ThiNgS Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 15:43:00 P I just thought of some more. Mr. Bean Black Adder She's an ANgel Racist Friend Where your Eyes Don't Go The Famous Polka Out of Jail The Statue got me High & Credance Clearwater Revival Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ------------------------------ From: Andrew John CALLAGHAN Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:01:59 +1100 (EST) Subject: Re: Red Dwarf On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Josh Younger wrote: > Would someone mind telling me who Red Dwarf is? Please? > > Red Dwarf is a REALLY cool Brittish television series about a man, his cat, their vacuum cleaner and a hologram (to those of you who know what the show is <*hee*>) Written by the dual entity known as Grant Naylor, it's just finished it's seventh (?) season and hopefully will have quite a few more to come. The basic plot revolves around a man (Lister) who was placed in stasis on board a mining ship - the Red Dwarf. While he was in stasis there was a reactor leak which killed all of the crew. Awakened about 100,000 years later (I'm not really sure of the date) the only other beings left aboard are the evolved descendant of a house cat, a hologram of Lister's former cabin mate, and the ships computer itself - Holly - an extreemly intelegent computer who has gone insane after being alone for so long Despite the sound of it, it is actually a hilarious comedy. If you get a chance to see it DO IT!!! Andrew Calaghan "I'm gonna eat you little fishies..." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 19:06:50 -0500 (EST) From: Ian Baum Subject: What we all like Hey all. This is my first message to the list though I have been on for about a month. When this whole thing about common likes popped up I thought of something I had to know. Does anybody else out there listen to Hypnotic Clambake? They are a Giantesque sounding band who tour around the country and play bars and colleges. The first time I saw them they commented on how everybody said they sounded like TMBG. They then went on to do a killer version of Istanbul. I saw them last night at Slippery Rock and I wondered if any of you listened to them. Ian ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 19:14:00 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Dial-a-Song in a strange place A recent post about discovering numbers etched around the edge of the Misc. T CD prompted me to do a little searching of my own. Now, since I only recently obtained a CD player, all my TMBG stuff is either on tape or on vinyl...you know, those really big, black plastic discs with grooves etched into them...they kinda look like oversized CDs, and they're played by running a needle along those grooves I mentioned...you know?! Anyway, I decided to check all my TMBG records to see if I could find anything interesting. Well, since I'm writing this post, it should be pretty obvious that I did! Around the inner edge of Their first album, They Might Be Giants, I discovered the telephone number for dial-a-song etched right into the record!! I was pretty amazed. It seems to be authentic...I mean, I don't think someone took a knife and carved it in there, and it appears on both sides of the record. Now, as if this wasn't fascinating enough, on one side of the disc are the words "Johnny Call Home" and on the other side, the words read "25 hours a day, 6 days a week". On both sides, these words preceed the phone number ((718) 387-6962 for those of you who don't have it), and are also etched directly into the record face, around the center label. Just to clarify, so you're not worried, all these marking do not interfere with the playing surface, so the wonderful, melodious tones come through beautifully everytime I play the record! For those of you have not discovered the magic and joy of owning records, I strongly suggest you give it a shot...you won't be dissapointed! Sure, CDs are digital, and they sound all nice and clean, but that doesn't mean that a record can't sound just as clean if it's taken care of properly...and for me, there are few sounds more pleasing than the one made by the needle as it snaps and pops it's way into the grooves, when it first hits that shiny, black playing surface...ahhh! I guess I can add that to my list of things I like, along with everything else everybody has been saying. All that stuff is pretty much aces with me. I would, although, like to add once again, my obsession with Emo Phillips...come on now, there must be more than a few Emo fans out there...hold your head up high and let your voices be heard!!! Well, if you've gotten this far, you'll want to stop, so I'll let you. Break out the cigars, this life is for squirrels. I'm off to the drugstore, to whistle at girls! Alex ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 19:10:02 -0500 (EST) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: your mail On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Josh Younger wrote: > Lets do a survey: > > 1. Which John do you like better? Flansburgh, because he plays guitar > 2. What is your favorite TMBG album? It'd have to be a toss-up between the pink album and lincoln > 3. What is your favorite TMBG song? Well, for a long time running it was Ana Ng, but its slowly drifting towards she's an angel > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 19:16:39 -0500 (EST) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Snail Dust! Have the Chemical Brothers remixed any other TMBG songs besides "Snail Shell", and are they planning on collaborating with them again? Oh yeah, this is my first post to the list, so hello, everyone. I'm really liking it so far...not full of flames and mean people like the Sebadoh list. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 18:15:42 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Beatles/TMBG On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Emily Lerche Kerr wrote: > Sorry to double post, but not only do I want to add The Beatles to the > previous list, I also want to point out a song that I find especially > Beatlesish. The Replacements. > > What does everyone think about that? > > Ana Ng > > > 'Were the Replacements' is Beatlesish? I dont know if Im following you on that one...how in the world does that song qualify as Beatleseque? I guess, in a very general sense: the Beatles inspired a lot of people to play rock music. 'Were the Replacements' is a rock song. Now I think Ive got it. Yeah, have you noticed how much 'Spy' (if played backwards at a slightly faster speed) sounds like a cross between Tom Jones and Percy Faith. Its unbelieveable. I think the lyric "...and when i close my eyes, your silhouette is smiling at me..." is actually taken from a line from a Tom Jones song. THEY are so clever when it comes to stuff like that... rock over London, rock on Chicago! Coors light! tap the Rockies! flame on john ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 19:17:42 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: your mail On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Josh Younger wrote: > Lets do a survey: > > 1. Which John do you like better? > 2. What is your favorite TMBG album? > 3. What is your favorite TMBG song? Can't...decide...arrgh...questions...ugh...too...tough...aarrrgh...must... stop...thinking...ugghh...brain...oohh...exploding...aaaarrrrrgggghhh!!! ------------------------------ From: klamb@ecentral.com Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 17:30:21 -0700 Subject: Likes, dislikes and the question of the day Hey all, I noticed, while scrolling through the countless lists of common likes and dislikes of TMBG fans, that no one ever mentioned Belly. So I was growing curious, are there any other Belly fans out there? Also On march 19, Tracy wrote: > here is my question for the day... > all you REM fans out there (I love their music but don't really like them > the way I like John and John...): > You know the song "Underneath the Bunker" or whatever it's called on > Life's Rich Pagaent (I think that's what it's on)...anyway you know > that vocal before the actual vocal (not the I will hide and you will hide > etc) that's sort of like ooh oohhhh -- > what TMBG song has that in it? Or at least something similar? > This is my test...actually I don't have the answer and I don't feel like > listening to all my TMBG tapes until 3 am just to find out... The song you're thinking of is "Where Your Eyes Don't Go." It has a vocal track very similar to the one in "Underneath the Bunker" at the end. be well, marty "How hard is it just to decide to be in a good mood and then be in a good mood?" John Cusack from "Say Anything" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 18:47:03 -0600 (CST) From: AUSTIN Subject: Stumpbox I read the letter concerning the Stumpbox album. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this album contained and where I could buy it. Josh Austin Home Page: http://www.su.okstate.edu/pages/Business/austijs.htm "Somebody put their finger in the president's ear, and it wasn't too much later they came out with Johnson's Wax." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: your mail Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 18:59:23 -0600 (CST) > 1. Which John do you like better? Impossible to say.... Couldn't possibly pick... > 2. What is your favorite TMBG album? I like Apollo 18 the best, but Flood is my "feel good" album... whenever I'm depressed, I pop it in, and at the end I feel better... Apollo 18 doesn't quite do that as well... > 3. What is your favorite TMBG song? Oh, god... Right now, as in this exact instant, I get the biggest high out of The World's Address, but I'd have to say that My all-time favorite song would have to be See The Constellation.... The song just sticks in my brain and I've never gotten tired of it. oooh, or maybe Don't Let's Start.... Ouch. Hmmm... Let's put those two at a tie for first place. Yeah..... -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 21:56:27 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Administrivia We had toyed with the idea of posting the FAQ regularly, but I decided it was just too huge to make that feasible. Ho, as an alternative, I made up a condensed document which will serve as a twice-a-month reminder of some general info. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** To be posted twice a month on tmbg-list and tmbg-digest. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 3) The website Leo and I maintain the Unofficial TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.org/ It contains lyrics, chords, song interpretations, the FAQ, the discography, links, and info on this mailing list. Try it out. As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 22:09:20 -0500 From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: question fav john - linnell!! but that's the only question i'm answering, i'm really here to ASK a question. someone at work recommended a band named Ben Folds Five (or something like that) and then said that if i liked They Might Be Giants, i would like them. does anyone on this list have their album and like them? jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter _______________________________________________________________________ http://www.voicenet.com/~jenns/ I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 22:19:15 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: ben folds five > question. someone at work recommended a band named Ben Folds Five (or > something like that) and then said that if i liked They Might Be Giants, i > would like them. does anyone on this list have their album and like them? i've heard a lot by them, and it seems like they are more like the Barenaked Ladies than like tmbg......i heartily recommend them, though... a `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` "I don't fall in love, I just fall." -Paul Sebold EAT KRILL FOR A BETTER AMERICA aimee elisabeth pflieger http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 22:23:50 -0500 Subject: Re: No Subject >Lets do a survey: > >1. Which John do you like better? L >2. What is your favorite TMBG album? Apollo 18 (the only one that I didn't play so many times that I'm sick of it) >3. What is your favorite TMBG song? Absolutely Bill's Mood ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 23:03:22 -0500 (EST) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) writes: > Lets do a survey: wow. i unsub from the list for three years, come back by accident, and the exact same thing is going on.. > 1. Which John do you like better? linnell. without question. accordion players rule. > 2. What is your favorite TMBG album? you know, i used to always answer lincoln, because it's a very consistent album, and was my favorite, but i'm beginning to actually like a lot of the songs on john henry enough to sway me towards it. > 3. What is your favorite TMBG song? my favorite released song of Theirs is still either "It's Not My Birthday" or "Where your Eyes Don't Go".. but the song of theirs that they do that I really like, for some reason, is "Maybe I Know". I guess when it really comes down to it, their harmonizing is what first got me hooked on them, and that song really emphasizes it. i'd be interested in a copy of that "rarities" tape that someone was posting about.. i've got a bunch of things I may be able to contribute to such a project as well, if someone could hook me up with some more info on it.. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 23:48:15 -0500 (EST) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: question On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, * jenn * wrote: > fav john - linnell!! > > but that's the only question i'm answering, i'm really here to ASK a > question. someone at work recommended a band named Ben Folds Five (or > something like that) and then said that if i liked They Might Be Giants, i > would like them. does anyone on this list have their album and like them? Ben Folds Five is *funny*...they sound like 1970's jive music. They have a song that has been on 120 Minutes alot lately, called "Underground"...they don't have a guitarist, only a keyboardist, bassist, and drummer. The video comes on alot, so if you ever watch 120 you should see it. Amanda ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: phil ochs Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 01:02:25 -0500 (EST) Hey all, I was at the record store today to pick up the album by Menswe@r (which is pretty darn good) when I saw a Phil Ochs section! I remembered him from the Day and also how TMBG sang One More Parade by non other than Mr. Ochs so I looked for it on the greatest hits but didn't see it and I didn't have time to search through the other ones as there wre many cds there. I also saw a used copy of Pere Ubu's Story of my Life (I think) album and almost got it but realized I didn't have enough to get my bro's b-day cd and the Menswe@r maybe I'll get it later, it was only like $7.99. Think I should get it? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Red Dwarf (fwd) Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 01:07:27 -0500 (EST) > > Would someone mind telling me who Red Dwarf is? Please? > It's a bloody British television show (for those who didn't know) that comes on PBS (the best station!) in the States. It's a comedy type show and they're on this spaceship for the next who-knows-how-many-years and they do stuff and it is pretty good although I hgaven't seen many show. You'd have to ask my friend Phil who has seen many more of them than I. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: me crazy Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 01:23:37 -0500 (EST) > > *cry* must we put Nirvana with TMBG?? > Nobody put them *with* TMBG did they? It's just what they like. You > know, most of the people on this list seem to like kinda happy, poppy > type music, but TMBG is really the just about the only cheerful (the music > anyway) pop-sounding band I like. My other favs are usally either > depressed/depressing, angry, spacey-weird-no human emotions, or all of these. > Hmm. I must apologize, my knee-jerk reaction was to flame about Nirvana just cause I don't like em but I shouldn't have. It's pretty cool that we all have such varied likes but it's the coolest that we all like TMBG! I'm gonna try not to do anymore flaming (unless someone starts typing in all caps again 8-( ) > > > i don't like all Beatles, but i like the short hair cut head boppin > > beatles before they got into the drug stuff. > Funny, I'm the opposite. I really only like Rubber Soul and after. The Beatles just rock, Rubber Soul is great. Unfortunately I only have The White album on CD and some of the others on tape. See ya'all, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:43:16 -0800 From: Brian Lamb Subject: Re: these are a few of my favorite things.... grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu wrote: > I love this little trend of ooh ooh, we all like these things... > so here are my contributions, basing it on the the list: > Tracy's Top However Many I Can Think Of Things I Like: > 1. TMBG (duh, can I pet the rabbits George?) > 2. X-Files \ > 3. Enya > 4. The Simpsons > 5. Weird Al > 6. REM > 7. Sting/The Police > 8. The Beatles (I love the weirdies like Maxwell's Silver Hammer too) >> 10,000 Maniacs, chicken marsala, Stephen King, Piers Anthony, > band, plaid sneakers, Steve Martin (he is a GOD), old SNL, Dead Poets > Society, LA Story, Braveheart, *Star Wars* (all my favorite movies), > bad 80s movies, funky 80s songs, the Temptations, Emily Dickinson, > peanut butter, dictionaries, country music, Toad the Wet Sprocket, > I love youse guys... > Tracy, who did a great imitation > of Yoda yesterday.... ...alright I'll jump right in here...(sigh) Simpsons is cool - though I don't watch it enough X-Files is good too- " " but wait a second...did you include 'country music' (gasp!) ;) though the thing that really got me to respond was the 10,000 Maniacs...I am a HuGe fan of them and Natalie Merchant...rivals my TMBG listening and I have been a fan longer(don't shoot me for this :) 'just the facts ma'am') so anyway - I didn't think I would be suckered(did I spell that right) in - but Tracy pulled it off. Later all- Brian __________________________________________________________________ The best thing you ever done for me Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life afterall - Indigo Girls ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 21:39:07 -0800 (PST) From: Melissa Bageant Subject: Stumpbox AUSTIN wrote in about the Stumpbox album, and I also would like to know about it! Where can I get it...I must have it!! Please, please, please write! ***mbageant@pwa.acusd.edu*** Thanks! ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: ben folds five Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 22:45:34 -0800 (PST) > > question. someone at work recommended a band named Ben Folds Five (or > > something like that) and then said that if i liked They Might Be Giants, i > > would like them. does anyone on this list have their album and like them? > > i've heard a lot by them, and it seems like they are more like the > Barenaked Ladies than like tmbg......i heartily recommend them, though... I saw a video of them where the lead singer plays the piano and the other two guys sing really really high pitched. It was kinda catchy, but it couldn't compete with the high speed "trains" of TMBG. a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-81 *****************************