Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-82 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 82 Friday, 22 March 1996 Today's Topics: Michael Moore Re: your mail Re: Michael Moore Flood, amazing disappearing album Administrivia Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album also oh yeah and another thing... Definitive Elizabethtown Info Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album What makes me the freak I am... Re: Red Dwarf Indiana U Dissapearing/cursed flood cds... Re: Administrivia Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album ok... "We're The Replacements" Re: Dissapearing/cursed flood cds... Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Space, Flood, and Mystery Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Re: What makes me the freak I am... stuff that's cool Re: "We're The Replacements" Cease survey My Favorite Things Re: Dissapearing/cursed flood cds... Re: Dial-a-Song in a strange place Re: survey Re: Dissapearing/cursed flood cds... Survey... Re: Survey... Survey... Loud Buzzing Noise Joyce's comment on connecting to songs Re: Survey... Okies...maybe this will work this time... Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:14:59 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Michael Moore On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > I don't know if you're talking about the same thing...Michael > Moore made the films Roger And Me (1989) and Canadian Bacon (1994). He > also hosts and produces and directs the satirical news-magazine show TV > Nation, which ran in the summer of 1994 on NBC and the summer of 1995 on > FOX. I'd like to know more about the show you mentioned, if it is not > the same show as I suspect it is not. > I love Michael Moore. He is a heroic crusader for the truth. He > is also absurd and weird as hell. TMBG fans should love him. He was also second unit director on the Indiana Joes films, in case abyone's interested... Mark ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 09:20:03 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: your mail On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Josh Younger wrote: > Lets do a survey: > > 1. Which John do you like better? > 2. What is your favorite TMBG album? > 3. What is your favorite TMBG song? > > All I can say is Where Your Eyes Don't Go may be my favourite song...but then...oh...um...ah, hell, screw it, every damn song is great. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:25:09 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: Michael Moore On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > > > I don't know if you're talking about the same thing...Michael > > Moore made the films Roger And Me (1989) and Canadian Bacon (1994). He > > also hosts and produces and directs the satirical news-magazine show TV > > Nation, which ran in the summer of 1994 on NBC and the summer of 1995 on > > FOX. I'd like to know more about the show you mentioned, if it is not > > the same show as I suspect it is not. > > I love Michael Moore. He is a heroic crusader for the truth. He > > is also absurd and weird as hell. TMBG fans should love him. > > > He was also second unit director on the Indiana Joes films, in > case abyone's interested... > > Mark > I would like to respectfully suggest that the Michael Moore who shot second unit on Indiana Jones is not the same Michael Moore who created TV Nation... but thanks for your eagle eyes! mike, who's not looking for any trouble ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:37:12 -0500 (EST) From: Anne Warren King Subject: Flood, amazing disappearing album I believe that Flood is a cursed album. i have read many posts on this list about people losing or breaking their recording of Flood. Then, my friend's Flood CD got stolen. Then, another friend told me that all of the TMBG fans he knew had mysteriously lost Flood. Now, my Flood tape has disappeared as well. Is there some special place that Flood tapes are attracted to, much like the place socks you put in the dryer are drawn to??? Never have I heard of anyone losing or damaging any other TMBG album. Exorcise your copy of Flood before it is too late. (or am i just imagining it. perhaps I am too paranoid, hmm?) On a different note (F sharp, my personal favorite) Golly, does no one person on this list have a tolerance for rap? I admit that gangsta rap is quite unappealing, but I can't help liking the Fugees and the Pharcyde very much. On a different not altogether (this time, it's d flat) "Whip it, whip it real good" the end and they lived happily ever after ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com (John Iacoletti) Subject: Administrivia Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:37:46 -0600 (CST) Jonathan Chaffer writes: > Leo and I maintain the Unofficial TMBG Website at: > http://www.tmbg.org/ > It contains lyrics, chords, song interpretations, the FAQ, the discography, > links, and info on this mailing list. Try it out. By the way, great job guys! I was wondering though what happened to the "official" web site. Bo Orloff's page is gone, and www.tmbg.com just takes you to the Elektra thing. -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation 'I Dig A Pygmy' by Charles Hawtry and the Deaf Aids...Phase One in which Doris gets her oats. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:05:35 -0500 From: Person Man/John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Anne Warren King wrote: > > I believe that Flood is a cursed album. i have read many posts on this > list about people losing or breaking their recording of Flood. Then, my > friend's Flood CD got stolen. Then, another friend told me that all of > the TMBG fans he knew had mysteriously lost Flood. Now, my Flood tape > has disappeared as well. Is there some special place that Flood tapes > are attracted to, much like the place socks you put in the dryer are > drawn to??? Never have I heard of anyone losing or damaging any other TMBG > album. Exorcise your copy of Flood before it is too late. (or am i just > imagining it. perhaps I am too paranoid, hmm?) I Think it is people who a secrect represed desire to Listen to They, but can convince them selves that they like them enough to show that they like them, so they break, or steal real fans copies of Flood. :-> > On a different note (F sharp, my personal favorite) > Golly, does no one person on this list have a tolerance for rap? I > admit that gangsta rap is quite unappealing, but I can't help liking the > Fugees and the Pharcyde very much. I can stand some "rap", I happen to like(thought not as much TMBG) some of Coolio's songs(Fantastic Voyage, "1,2,3,4...") I some times actually watch MTV Jams, but this morning I Have A18 in instead on the TV on mute in case something good acutally comes on(Amish Paridise!) -- Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/ The Unoffical Pritchard Web Site & Mailing List Admin Check it out @ http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/pritchard/ Powered By FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org "Who Came up with Person Man?" -TMBG / "Who Are these guys?" TT on TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:15:46 -0500 (EST) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Anne Warren King wrote: > I believe that Flood is a cursed album. well, you know what is weird about my copy of flood, the songs listed to be on side one are recorded on side two, and vice versa. at first I thought it would be like this on all of the copies but a friend of mine owns a normal one... Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:21:07 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Anne Warren King wrote: > I believe that Flood is a cursed album. i have read many posts on this > list about people losing or breaking their recording of Flood. Then, my > friend's Flood CD got stolen. Then, another friend told me that all of > the TMBG fans he knew had mysteriously lost Flood. Now, my Flood tape > has disappeared as well. Is there some special place that Flood tapes > are attracted to, much like the place socks you put in the dryer are > drawn to??? Never have I heard of anyone losing or damaging any other TMBG > album. Exorcise your copy of Flood before it is too late. (or am i just > imagining it. perhaps I am too paranoid, hmm?) I still have my copies of Flood (vinyl and CD) but I promise that if they vanish the first place I'll check is the dryer. mike. ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:30:40 E Subject: also Oh yeah I love Indigo Girls don't drink coffee Can't decide on a favorite. Gonna go read Madame Bovary... Writing a song parody of Hootie's "I Go Blind" with her friends where they substitute semi-rhyming phrases for the phrase I go blind: such as, I smell limes, I eat flies, I find dimes, I see mimes, any suggestions are appreciated. Actually it's not a bad song. We are just wacko. Tracy ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:49:49 E Subject: oh yeah and another thing... Okay so I'm procrastinating even more... I love Hamlet. Love the play, love Bill Shakespeare, love the new movie, love Mel Gibson. Hamlet kicks butt. Anyway...because of my intense love for Hamlet, I of course noticed the line pour the poison in my ear, but always figured that just htat (oops) that line and not the whole song was a sort of Hamlet reference. And to reply to a thread that took place like nine years ago, I always thought Whistling in the Dark was doing something even though you had no idea what was going on if that makes any sense. Okay now I really have to go. And I also think that See the Constellation is about the struggle for democracy in Spain under Francisco Franco. Well okay I was just kidding on that one. Race to the bottom of a Tracy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 96 14:28 EST From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Definitive Elizabethtown Info Okay, I talked to someone at the College. Here's the facts: Tickets go on sale 4/1. They're $8 in advance, $10 at the door. The number to call for tickets and info is (717)361-1197. If you call between 4/1 and 4/5 and charge tickets, they will mail them to you. If you call later than that, they will be at a will-call location the night of the concert. Sounds good! See ya there! -J.L. Being patient and taking your time are things that a train can understand ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 14:29:01 -0500 (EST) From: Brendan Shambrendan Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Anne Warren King wrote: > On a different note (F sharp, my personal favorite) > Golly, does no one person on this list have a tolerance for rap? I > admit that gangsta rap is quite unappealing, but I can't help liking the > Fugees and the Pharcyde very much. > I dont' know if you read one of my posts, but I stated that I liked Wu- Tang, and a lot of other rap. This weekend, I got the Fugees single (Fu- Gee- La), and I love it. I can't wait to get the album. As for pharcide, I'm not too impressed with the latest effort..... But that's for another mailing list. Brendan Sullivan, Palindrome, Navillus Nadnerb bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 Well, it isn't the NCAA, but the NIT is just as good. GO HAWKS! ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Date: Thu, 21 Mar 96 11:17:00 P I have had my copy of flood for a long time. Ie 3 years, and it is still just fine. I did lose it once, but that was only for a month or two. brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 13:38:35 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Anne Warren King: >I believe that Flood is a cursed album. i have read many posts on this >list about people losing or breaking their recording of Flood. Then, my >friend's Flood CD got stolen. Then, another friend told me that all of >the TMBG fans he knew had mysteriously lost Flood. Now, my Flood tape >has disappeared as well. Is there some special place that Flood tapes >are attracted to, much like the place socks you put in the dryer are >drawn to??? Never have I heard of anyone losing or damaging any other TMBG >album. Exorcise your copy of Flood before it is too late. (or am i just >imagining it. perhaps I am too paranoid, hmm?) The place flood albums are attracted to? My apartment. Last night, my roommate wandered in and asked if I had misplaced my Flood CD. I checked my CD flip-file and found it still safe and sound in its appointed position between Misc T and Apollo 18. Apparently, this mysterious third Flood CD (inccluding jewel case!) just materialized out of thin air. Go figure. >Golly, does no one person on this list have a tolerance for rap? I >admit that gangsta rap is quite unappealing, but I can't help liking the >Fugees and the Pharcyde very much. I believe there is a time and place for ALL music. I'm not a big rap fan myself, but I don't NOT like it :) ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 13:20:11 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: What makes me the freak I am... Just being a follower, and listing what makes me my freakish self like everyone else... TMBG- Of course, as essential as the air we breathe Piers Anthony- One of the Best Authors (if only he would get the new mode book out!) Marion Zimmer Bradley- I am in awe of her...(Who else turned Arthur, and the Iliad to the womens point of veiw so well?) X-Files- Really, do you need explanation? (+ David Duchovny*DROOL*) Highlander- Movies and TV Series, gotta love those sword fights... (+ *drool* Adrian Paul and Chris Lambert) Smashing Pumpkins- Me and My MelonCollie can't get enuf Italian Food- Gotta love that Basil (which is an aphrodisiac) Arthurian Lore- Ahh chivalry... Horse-Back riding- I love those big animals... Dandelions- Hey, all psychotic poets need their inspiration... Coffee- The juice of life... Philosophy- I can't really explain this one... E-mail- you have to, to join a listserv this big! TMBG- Worth mentioning a million times... Well, I am sure I left out some stuff, but this is a good start...you get the general idea... -Joyce Frost "The rows of Dandelions growing all around me, why must I be sad..." -TMBG "Kiss me twice. I'm schizophrenic." -No clue, but it's a great quote (Anyone else think that mail programs need a spell check?) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 13:34:38 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Re: Red Dwarf On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Josh Younger exclaimed: > Would someone mind telling me who Red Dwarf is? Please? I am rather curious about this myself.... -Joyce ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:22:58 -0800 From: Deborah Truitt Subject: Indiana U Hi! First, I'd like to apologize for putting a non-tmbg-related message on the digest, but it seemed like the most efficient way to reach people. I'll try to keep it short. I've noticed that several people on this digest go to Indiana University. If you are one of them, (at the Bloomington campus,that is) PLEASE write to me and tell me about the school, life in Bloomington, etc. I have been accepted there for grad school and I'm trying to decide between Indiana and staying here @ UCLA. Any info is appreciated, but especially about the grad program and/or the Slavic dept. Thanks! Debbie Truitt (aka The Girl From Venus) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 13:58:47 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Dissapearing/cursed flood cds... Well, I have lost my tape of flood about 20 times, to later find it somewhere I had never had it. Also, *SNIFF* my flood Cd was scratched one day after I got it, and although I do not handle all cd's carefully, I worship my TMBG cd's and take care of them with extreme care. Worst part, it is scrachted on Letterbox which is my favortie song to sing along with ...*pout* -Joyce ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:14:58 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Administrivia >By the way, great job guys! I was wondering though what happened to the >"official" web site. Bo Orloff's page is gone, and www.tmbg.com just >takes you to the Elektra thing. Bo Orloff's site *is* www.tmbg.com. as far as I know, it is currently under construction and will be up soon with stuff like an online info club catalog. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:17:54 -0500 Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album >I believe that Flood is a cursed album. i have read many posts on this >list about people losing or breaking their recording of Flood. Then, my >friend's Flood CD got stolen. Then, another friend told me that all of >the TMBG fans he knew had mysteriously lost Flood. Now, my Flood tape >has disappeared as well. Is there some special place that Flood tapes >are attracted to, much like the place socks you put in the dryer are >drawn to??? Never have I heard of anyone losing or damaging any other TMBG >album. Exorcise your copy of Flood before it is too late. (or am i just >imagining it. perhaps I am too paranoid, hmm?) I did lose the dub o' Flood that my sister made for me back in '90, I did recently recover the old Apollo 18 dub she made later, but it doesn't matter cause I bought 'em all on CD in 93 and 94, just thought I'd share ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:46:01 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: ok... can anybody verify this for me? i heard (very much through my grapevine) that there will be a TMBG show around Baltimore (B. City, D.C.) on April 12th. any verification would be greatly appreciated. daniel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:08:35 -0600 From: Ann Kjaer Subject: "We're The Replacements" Hi All-- After one year of lurking, I feel I finally have something worth posting. This morning I was listening to the radio and was amazed to hear them play "We're The Replacements." This station (REV 105.1 in Minneapolis) plays They fairly regularly, but usually the more well-known tracks. I guess the fact that The Replacements were from Minneapolis probably had something to do with it. Anyhow, after the song the DJ and the newsguy were speculating on the origins of the song. And I started thinking how I've never heard anything about the They/Replacements connection. What motivated John or John to write this ditty about a band which is Their polar opposite? Anyone? Ann ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:57:16 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: Dissapearing/cursed flood cds... I got my CD of Flood for $3 Canadian because it had a scratch on the playing surface that does not affect playback at all. This is probably the best deal I ever got on a CD. (I also got my Lincoln CD used for ten bucks, a deal because here in Canada Lincoln is a $30 plus import.) So one person's curse (a scratched CD) is my lucky day. The damn thing plays perfectly! Of course, so does my vinyl copy. Actually, does anyone know if Apollo 18 or John Henry were released on vinyl in the UK or anywhere else outside of North America? I'd sure love to get my hands on those items. I got Brian Dewan's album Brian Dewan Tells The Story...I was disappointed because John and John do not appear on it, but it is still not bad, tho' I have to listen to it again, and in full...I got it for about 2 bucks American. Same store (in Rochester) I also got Crispin Hellion Glover's CD The Big Problem. Damn, it's weird. I love it. Sometimes the clearance items are the best... Mike. ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 17:59:09 +0000 Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album > I believe that Flood is a cursed album. i have read many posts on this > list about people losing or breaking their recording of Flood. Then, my > friend's Flood CD got stolen. Then, another friend told me that all of > the TMBG fans he knew had mysteriously lost Flood. Now, my Flood tape > has disappeared as well. Is there some special place that Flood tapes > are attracted to, much like the place socks you put in the dryer are > drawn to??? Never have I heard of anyone losing or damaging any other TMBG > album. Exorcise your copy of Flood before it is too late. (or am i just > imagining it. perhaps I am too paranoid, hmm?) This is truly scary. I got my first copy of Fllod stolen a while back (a long with a NIN Cd but that's another story). The NIN CD was accounted for (I still never got it back though), but no one knew what happened to the Flood CD. In my opinion it is pretty damn creepy. Maybe there are some sort of secret documents on there and the government is trying to pull them out of circulation or something. Then again, maybe I'm just becoming a big conspiracy theorist.... Wilbz __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Space, Flood, and Mystery Date: Thu, 21 Mar 96 18:02:56 18000 Wow. My first ever listening experiece to TMBG (besides when Istanbul came out) was of a tape of Flood and bits of Apollo 18 that my sister's ingenious friend made for her, but I got. I listened to it endlessly in a car trip with my dad, about 14 hours or so. Then, a few days after returning, our house was robbed! All my CD's were taken, and guess which tape was in the CD case? My Flood tape! Argh. But hey, I recovered, and let's see, I got flood again um... sometime after that, then much later I bought Lincoln and JOhn Henry, and then in a massive splurge I bought the rest. And I wish, now, that I had known more of the songs at the time of our concert! -Tom I guess (The Skullhead) -- ------------------------------ From: Andrew John CALLAGHAN Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:03:54 +1100 (EST) Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Amanda Gayle Douberly wrote: > > > On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Anne Warren King wrote: > > > I believe that Flood is a cursed album. > > well, you know what is weird about my copy of flood, the songs listed to > be on side one are recorded on side two, and vice versa. at first I > thought it would be like this on all of the copies but a friend of mine > owns a normal one... > > Amanda > Get the spooky X-Files music ready guys - I actually still own my copy! (although after seeing this I'm tempted to put it in a safe deposit box) Andrew Owner of the crappiest web site on the planet http://www.angelfire.com/free/ajc.html "All of us are in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde ------------------------------ From: Andrew John CALLAGHAN Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:20:31 +1100 (EST) Subject: Re: What makes me the freak I am... On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Joyce Frost wrote: > Just being a follower, and listing what makes me my freakish self like > everyone else... > TMBG- Of course, as essential as the air we breathe > Piers Anthony- One of the Best Authors (if only he would get the > new mode book out!) Amen to that sentiment. Another nice touch might be a follow up on Crystal Butterfly or that CyberSpace novel he did (my memory ain't too good > Marion Zimmer Bradley- I am in awe of her...(Who else turned > Arthur, and the Iliad to the womens point of veiw so well?) > X-Files- Really, do you need explanation? (+ David Duchovny*DROOL*) > Highlander- Movies and TV Series, gotta love those sword fights... > (+ *drool* Adrian Paul and Chris Lambert) > Smashing Pumpkins- Me and My MelonCollie can't get enuf > Italian Food- Gotta love that Basil (which is an aphrodisiac) Oh, dear. I didn't know that about basil. That might be dangerous for me to eat Italian any more... > Arthurian Lore- Ahh chivalry... And believe me ma'am, no matter what you hear, It ain't dead (some of us guys still are gallants at heart > Horse-Back riding- I love those big animals... Should I make a comment here? No, perhaps not... > Dandelions- Hey, all psychotic poets need their inspiration... > Coffee- The juice of life... Amen to that one... > Philosophy- I can't really explain this one... If you could, it wouldn't be philosophy > E-mail- you have to, to join a listserv this big! > TMBG- Worth mentioning a million times... > > Well, I am sure I left out some stuff, but this is a good start...you get > the general idea... > -Joyce Frost > > "The rows of Dandelions growing all around me, why must I be sad..." > -TMBG > "Kiss me twice. I'm schizophrenic." > -No clue, but it's a great quote > > (Anyone else think that mail programs need a spell check?) Yez, I mean yes :P A quick pondery after the rushes of letters that have popped up about all this I do/don't like. Is there anyone out there on this list that is into anything, well, mundane (dare I say dull - to me anyway). I consider myself to be prety far away from what the average society wold call normal (who else would wear a Victorian Morning Suit to Uni?), and even I havn't heard of a lot of the bands you folk have mentioned here (although it could do with the fact I'm in Australia) Andrew C Owner of the Crappiest Web Site on the plannet http://www.angelfiire.com/free/ajc.html "All of us are in the gutter, but some of are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde ------------------------------ From: Destin.Berthelot@Rollins.Edu Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:11:51 -0400 (EDT) Subject: stuff that's cool Organization: Rollins College In handy, condensed form for those of us who will want to skip it when we read the digest: The Cure / Pulp Fiction / Monty Python / The Simpsons / U2 (pre-zooropa) / Weird Al / Talking Heads / Devo / Bloom County / Far Side / Doonesbury / Calvin and Hobbes / Troma movies / Warner Bros. classic cartoons / Specifically, Chuck Jones-directed ones / Animaniacs / Acting / Primus / Star Trek / my Anti- Mickey Mouse home page (http://hound.rollins.edu/personal/~dberthelot/) / Mentos / Pez / Presidentsoftheunitedstatesofamerica / Steve Martin / Airplane and the Naked Gun / Dave Barry / Douglas Adams / Fox Trot / MAD / Making fun of Dr. Dre / King Missile / Free stuff / .wav files / Seinfeld / Princess Bride / A Christmas Story / Godzilla / Plan 9 From Outer Space / Queen of Outer Space / Night of the Lepus / Any other bad horror movies / MST3K / Oh yeah, and some band called They Must Be Giants or something..... Destin ------------------------------ Subject: Re: "We're The Replacements" Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 18:08:31 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Ann Kjaer, apparently a fellow Minnesotan: >Anyhow, after the song the DJ and the newsguy were speculating on the >origins of the song. And I started thinking how I've never heard >anything about the They/Replacements connection. What motivated John >or John to write this ditty about a band which is Their polar >opposite? Anyone? Not a complete answer, but may provide food for thought. From John Relph's excellent TMBG FAQ (http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html): 37.Is the song "We're the Replacements" a mockery or a tribute? A tribute to a band that mocked themselves. Jeffrey Chen writes: They Might Be Giants' song "We're the Replacements" is a parody of the lifestyle of The Replacements based on their public reputation, and that it was unknown whether the Johns revered them or is just making fun of them. I could be wrong. Koenig Feurio writes: Personally, I believe that the song is both a tribute and a parody. I have no quotes from John or John to back this up, but I have quotes from Slim and Tommy of the 'Mats: Me: "Have you guys heard the They Might Be--" Tommy: "Yeah, I heard that, it was pretty funny." Slim: "What? What are you talking about?" Tommy: "They Might Be Giants, their song about us." Me: "'Hey where's Tommy, someone find Tommy.'" Tommy: "Yeah, it's pretty funny." Slim: "Is it supposed to be an insult?" Tommy: "I think it's more like 'Alex Chilton.' Kinda both." ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 19:16:16 EST Subject: Cease Hey, guys. 1/2 of the list last time were just people saying what they like and don't like. I'm all for freedom of expression but this is getting way out of hand. Example: I like cookies I like eggs I like my friend, nicky I like my little brother, mark, who is watchng me right now I like toast I like Corellians I like industrial music I like TMBG I like soda pop I like stories about Egyptian rulers named Gambo I like bread, which is similar to toast I like many other things also. If I wrote down every damn thing that I liked and posted it two weeks ago, you would still be reading it on Easter. If you understand my satire then God Bless You. If you don't, and think that I'm mean then fuck you. Love Boba. <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ From: PRINE_A@whittier.edu Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:32:37 -0700 (PDT) Subject: survey I would have to say that Linnel is my John of choice. I know this sounds very terrible, but he's much cuter than Flansburgh and I have a huge crush on Linnel. That sounds like a shallow reason, but I cannot help it. My favorite album would be Flood since it is the first tMBg that I really got into. I don't think I can name one favorite song so I'll name several: She's an Angel Where Your Eyes Don't Go The Famous Polka Istanbul (not Constantinople) Mr. Me She Was a Hotel Detective (the new version) Welcome to the Jungle Ana Ng Okay I'll stop now cause I'm sure you get the idea. I wanted to get some input from you tMBg fans on the list. I'm taking a class called the History of American Popular Music and for our term paper we get to pick our favorite band and write a paper about them. Naturally I would like to do tMBg, but I need help. Please respond to the following questions, personally to avoid cluttered mailboxes: 1) What style of music would you label tMBg? 2) What do they represent to you on a societal level? 3) Have they been responsible for any social change? Thanks in advance. Rawk on! Amy T. PRINE_A@WHITTIER.EDU random thought: Ever wonder why everyone draws the symbol for Anarchy the same way... ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:58:39 +0000 Subject: My Favorite Things Nobody's mentioned Dave Barry? Unless someone did, and I missed it... I can't be the only DB fan on here, his absurdist humor goes so well with TMBG's surreal lyrics. And I've seen lots of Animaniacs refs and quotes here. Glad to know i'm not alone. Is it just me, or do lots of us like ska? I also like: Muppets, Douglas Adams books, MST3k, X-Files, The Dark Crystal, Star Wars (my favorite movies; I've seen them so often I can recite large chunks of the script from memory.), Monty Python, Calvin & Hobbes, Simon & Garfunkel, The Beatles, Simpsons, Moxy Fruvous, Weird Al, and probably some other stuff I've forgotten to toss in. Fare thee well, nicole (aka driver) "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 20:32:22 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Dissapearing/cursed flood cds... >does anyone know if Apollo 18 or John Henry were released on vinyl in the >UK or anywhere else outside of North America? I'd sure love to get my >hands on those items. The discography is a blessing. Check it out. According to it, neither A18 or JH were released as anything but a CD, *anywhere*. I think I heard somewhere that J&J were pushing Elektra to get them released in cassette and LP formats. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 20:01:48 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: Re: Dial-a-Song in a strange place I have been looking for TMBG records everywhere, and so far no luck. If you could tell me where to get TMBG records (please give an address), I would be eternally grateful (whatever that means). ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 20:14:16 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: Re: survey On Thu, 21 Mar 1996 PRINE_A@whittier.edu wrote: > terrible, but he's much cuter than Flansburgh and I have a huge crush on > Linnel. Hey, that's not nice. I happen to think Flansburgh is much cuter than Linnell. But maybe that's just my skewed sense of asthetics or something. -jenny, who would like to add "the Amish" to the list of likes. and not because of Weird Al, because she thinks they're genuinely cool. she even went to an Amish settlement thingy once, in Illinois, and they were nifty. ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com (John Iacoletti) Subject: Re: Dissapearing/cursed flood cds... Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 20:38:31 -0600 (CST) Jonathan Chaffer writes: > The discography is a blessing. Check it out. According to it, neither A18 > or JH were released as anything but a CD, *anywhere*. I've seen Apollo 18 on vinyl, but I didn't have the presence of mind to notice where it was pressed. -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation 'I Dig A Pygmy' by Charles Hawtry and the Deaf Aids...Phase One in which Doris gets her oats. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 20:16:11 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Survey... I have no clue which John I like best...it's seems morbid to pick one over the other for me, but who knows... On the favorite album I would have to say it's between the pink one (with all the cute lil' snowman on the cd) and Miscelllaneous. Favorite song would have to be "Why must I be Sad?" because it holds a lot of special meaning to me. My friend and I were on the way back from the town we had to drive to to buy _John Henry_ and we were listening to it. "Why must I be Sad" came on and she imediatly said, "It's your song, Joyce..." I guess that came from the fact that I get depressed easily, I write in spiral notebooks all the time, I love Dandelions, and have some interesting associations with "Alice" (possibly "Go Ask Alice, Alice in chains, Alice in Chains?). Pretty much, "Why Must I be Sad" holds a lot of meaning to me because these reasons make me think of it as "My Song". Kinda petty for me to think of one of TMBG'S songs as being mine, but I love it and it helps me deal with a lot of things... Anyway, I am just curious has anyone else found a song by TMBG they connect this much with...or is it just silly, ol Joyce being lame and cheesy? -Joyce Frost, the psychotic poet who is crazed by Dandelions... ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Survey... Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 21:35:35 -0600 (CST) > Anyway, I am just curious has anyone else found a song by TMBG they > connect this much with...or is it just silly, ol Joyce being lame and cheesy? Actually, there was a time when I really felt connected to "Dead..." It's kinda hard to explain... If I'm bound to get a song stuck in my head, though, there's a good chance it'll be that one.... I've also felt strangely connected to Fingertips for some reason..... `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Survey... Date: Thu, 21 Mar 96 22:54:46 18000 Joyce Frost once wrote about her connection w/Why Must I Be Sad, and asked if anyone else had a similar connection to a song. I, for a while, felt a deep connection to She's an Angel. Although, come to think of it, I haven't heard it in a really long time. -Tom I guess (The Pinhead) -- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 22:17:50 -0600 (CST) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Loud Buzzing Noise > I happen to like "Full House!" How could you say that the Oleson twins > are bad!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? There hasn't been a show that good I do hope you're kidding. *shudder* > Do not hate. Hatred is a form of subjective > involvment that binds you closer to the hated > object. > -I Ching I just wanted you to read that again. (although the members of this list probably need to see it less than most of the world....) > 'Were the Replacements' is Beatlesish? I dont know if Im following > you on that one...how in the world does that song qualify as Beatleseque? Not the TMBG songs, there is (or was) a musical group called The Replacements. They're what the song is about. I really haven't heard much of their music. > I noticed, while scrolling through the countless lists of common likes > and dislikes of TMBG fans, that no one ever mentioned Belly. So I was > growing curious, are there any other Belly fans out there? One here. BTW, I recently discovered a list for fans of the Pixies, Throwing Muses, and their decendents (Belly, Breeders, Frank Black, Kristen Hersh, Amps, Martinis). The list is at subbacultcha@cs.mcgill.edu, send your subscribe message to listserv@cs.mcgill.edu EGAD. %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 21:01:07 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Joyce's comment on connecting to songs Joyce Frost wrote: >Anyway, I am just curious has anyone else found a song by TMBG they >connect this much with...or is it just silly, ol Joyce being lame and cheesy? I would have to say that the song most likely to launch me into cheesy lameness is "Rabid Child." I saw it performed live (at the Warfield in San Francisco in '92) before I heard it on CD, and I will always remember Flansburgh standing in the spotlight, chubby arms turned outward in eloquent petition, belting out that finish: "... the RAAbid chIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLd!" Once I got the album and was able to listen to the words, I was even more impressed by the quiet horror of the world the song evoked, its sad beauty. The child is for me a hybrid of Scout in %To Kill a Mockingbird% and Truffaut's %Wild Child%: an innocent beset by a sinister maturity beyond her full comprehension, and simultaneously a token herself of unkempt, unreachable alienness. Her inexplicable rabidity, it seems to me, creates an unstable conception of her identity, in that we are unable to decide whether she is actually diseased or if that is just her "handle." This ambiguity keeps us wobbling between pathos and amusement, holding both possibilities in our minds at once. Chess Piece Face and the Big Duluth are initially figures of buffoonery, endlessly blurting the jargonemes "rabbit ears" and "hammer down," "the only words they know," but are finally poignant; like the rabid child, their names throw their subjectivity into question (are they two of the "truckers" that "pass by, calling out their handles to the kid," in which case "Rabbit Ears" and "Hammer Down" are their handles? or are they unable to declare their handles, limited to these two empty phrases that have no relation to anything? In either case the names CPF and BD are presumably unknowable to them, and accordingly their identities are radically unstable), and at the end of the song we are invited to share their pathological near-aphasia: "If you pass the rabid child, say 'hammer down' for me." Even the speaker, who asks us to say these words %for him%, is thereby implicated in this limitation. This must of course lead to paradox, as he has obviously been using other words throughout the song. But is the self of song the true self? the "speaking" self? is singing speaking? At any rate, I still cannot hear the song without entering its dark imaginary. The "home" at which the child "sits" is as much a spiritual state as a physical space, as is the road (to me, a road through a black forest of pines) on which the "truckers pass," and yet it is also a vivid image of material entrapment, of drab suburban secrecy and longing. The world that passes by outside, and occasionally sends in a few disembodied messages, is both nightmarish and alluring. I cannot wrap this up without saying a word about the music: that brachiopod of a melody that keeps coiling back on itself, oozing sadness, ultimately forcing closure on its unbearable setting with an electronic thud. Kasey P. S. "Mrs. Train" gets me going too. We can talk about that some other time.... "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 00:46:44 -0500 From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: Re: Survey... >Anyway, I am just curious has anyone else found a song by TMBG they >connect this much with...or is it just silly, ol Joyce being lame and cheesy? > >-Joyce Frost, the psychotic poet who is crazed by Dandelions... i, for one, feel connected with more than one song. i guess that's kind of strange, but End of the Tour, She's an Angel, and the Statue Got Me High all mean something to me. the reason the Statue Got Me High is special to me is that it was the first TMBG song i ever heard. i'll never forget that. i just recently started to realize how beautiful a song She's An Angel is. and for some unknown reason i've loved End of the Tour for the sadness it seems to project. jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter thank you to everyone who answered my question about Ben Folds Five!! _______________________________________________________________________ http://www.voicenet.com/~jenns/ I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 23:18:19 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Okies...maybe this will work this time... Alright guys, anyone out there, up late, bored and unable to sleep wanna use talk or something over the computer? If you are interested send me a talk at Frostjo@ziavms.enmu.edu...call me lonely...I am in a dorm room on spring break... -Joyce ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-82 *****************************