Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-83 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 83 Saturday, 23 March 1996 Today's Topics: Digested Boba Mail: Flood Re: Dial-a-Song in a strange place (none) life, the universe, and everything Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Re: Red Dwarf RE: Dissapearing/cursed flood cds... She's an Angel Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Now I am confused.. Re: Flood, amazing disappearing albu Emo Re: Now I am confused.. Mmm... this shoe is tasty! Flood strangeness..... Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album--rap music? baltimore show Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album lucky ball and chain Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-82 Re: Likes and Dislikes Re: Likes and Dislikes Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 07:59:58 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail: Flood The final track on my Flood CD has a skip on it!! <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 08:21:32 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Dial-a-Song in a strange place On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Josh Younger wrote: > I have been looking for TMBG records everywhere, and so far no luck. > If you could tell me where to get TMBG records (please give an > address), I would be eternally grateful (whatever that means). Only thing I can suggest is the TMBG mailing list, you know, the one nobody seems to be getting! If memory serves me, They offer Their first three albums (TMBG, Lincoln, and Flood) as well as all of the singles from those albums (Don't Let's Start and They'll Need A Crane) on vinyl...except for the Istanbul single...that's only on CD, though last time I checked, it was unavailable on any format. They also have the O Tannenbaum seven inch...on green vinyl...very cool! I'm forgeting something, aren't I?? Oh well...I am working from memory here, so keep in mind that half the stuff I just said could be totally wrong. If anyone has any corrections, please post them...I'd be curious to know myself. Alex...just trying to help ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 08:29:50 EST Subject: (none) In They's catalog you can order most albums on vinyl Boba Out <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 96 08:31:12 PST From: Adrian Subject: life, the universe, and everything Well, this is my first post, hope it works..! I have been reading over these lists of "likes" over the past few days. Pretty interesting how similarities between TMBG fans abound...I am about the only one I know who listens to TMBG down here in Knoxville, and I'll be darned if half the things everybody has listed I could put on my own list...but I won't reiterate! Must be nice to have the option of seeing them in concert though. About all we get down here are Dolly Parton's friends. Well, the Violent Femmes came but I didn't get to see them... Just a few comments: Red Dwarf was a book first, wasn't it? (because I had read it long before I had ever heard of the TV show) Nobody has mentioned the song "Turn Around.." I think that's probably the song that stands out to me the most...the whole "paper white mask of evil thing..." either that or "cowtown..." or "mammal..." Enough rambling...I mostly wanted to see if this works! Then I may post more interesting things! :) Which is all subjective anyway... adrian *------------------------------------- Name: Adrian E-mail: abarnes@conc.tdsnet.com 08:31:12 03/22/96 Spotted Owl tastes like chicken... *------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Date: Fri, 22 Mar 96 9:55:38 EST > > >I believe that Flood is a cursed album. i have read many posts on this > >list about people losing or breaking their recording of Flood. Then, my > >friend's Flood CD got stolen. Then, another friend told me that all of > >the TMBG fans he knew had mysteriously lost Flood. Now, my Flood tape > >has disappeared as well. Is there some special place that Flood tapes > >are attracted to, much like the place socks you put in the dryer are > >drawn to??? Never have I heard of anyone losing or damaging any other TMBG > >album. Exorcise your copy of Flood before it is too late. (or am i just > >imagining it. perhaps I am too paranoid, hmm?) > I did lose the dub o' Flood that my sister made for me back in '90, I did > recently recover the old Apollo 18 dub she made later, but it doesn't matter > cause I bought 'em all on CD in 93 and 94, > just thought I'd share > when i first bought the tape of flood waaaay back there, i put it in my jacket pocket(i was wearing a trenchcoat) and got into my friend's car(so we could go to a pre-established place, but i don't remember where). as i shut the door to the car, part of my coat was hanging out the door...of course i would be speaking of the part with the flood tape in the pocket. it got totally crushed. however i solved the problem by moving the actual tape into a blank cassette with the tape already taken out. it still plays perfectly to this day, and people often think that i have dubbed it from someone, but i say no, see, here's the case. then they say whooaaaa...did it just come on a totally blank looking tape like that? and i usually say 'yep' as i chuckle to myself. farside ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 15:00:01 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Red Dwarf On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Adrian wrote: > Just a few comments: Red Dwarf was a book first, wasn't it? (because I had > read it long before I had ever heard of the TV show) No. It started off as a TV series upon which the books were based. Possibly the books were released in the US before the TV series. There was also an American remake of the series which is (I've heard) a bit poor. Has anyone seen it? Mark ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: RE: Dissapearing/cursed flood cds... Date: Fri, 22 Mar 96 07:36:00 P Well, i had thought of an ingenious idea... i had decide that maybe if, I had a sudden splurge of money, I would go and buy 2 copies of all the TMBG CD's. One set to listen to. and one set to frame on my wall. Then if I did lose the cd's, (listening ones), I could get out the ones on my wall. Or I would make a copy on tape. And use those until I found the lost copy. Oh well, chow. PS. What TMBG singles are the best? and what is this freaksickle thing? I have been hereing alot about it, but I never caught on to what extactly it is. brenden - nednerb BRENDEN "the man with all the Chics, WILLIAM, "Who's got all the extra savior faire" RENSINK, "Who could be cooler" KNISNER "relooc eb dluoc ohW" MAILLIW, "eriaf roivas artxe eht lla tog s'ohW" NEDNERB, "scihC eht lla htiw nam eht" ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:24:28 EST Subject: She's an Angel Have any of you ever been present during a performance of "She's An Angel" I think that it was the first time I ever cried in public. Boba Out. <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, the Rabid Child MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "BUT YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ME BECAUSE I HAVE A SPECIAL JOB" "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 11:10:01 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Namgar Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Ahhhh! I too lost my Flood album. On the subject of stuff TMBG fans like, how about the following: Laser Tag Well? How about it fellas? Rock's Chosen Warriors Will Rule The Apocalypse! (jr10899@www.cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: Now I am confused.. Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 17:04:13 +0000 (GMT) (yep, I KNOW I said I was off home, but I told my mum a 60% lie about having an essay to do, and I'm still here..teehee...) I was very confused when I read Jonathan Chaffer saying that A18 and JH weren't out on tape, because, unless, I have been hallucinating for the last 3 years, I have *both* on tape! Proper, legit copies from HMV in Bromley (awful town in Southern England, avoid it. But hey! It's home). Can anyone explain? Nicola ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 96 13:19:54 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing albu > Ahhhh! I too lost my Flood album. Well my sister lost her first flood album at Balticon a long time ago. And I also lost my first Linclon album in my brothers truck. > On the subject of stuff TMBG fans like, how about the following: > Laser Tag That kinda stuff was the shyt, i remember when my freinds and I were into that. I even rember the Photon arena that used to open in Maryland. That used to be fun to go to until they turned the arena into a flea market. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:15:30 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Emo Alex Gershon asked Emo Phillips fans to stand up and show their pride, so here I am! I even have a t-shirt with a drawing of Emo which says "Emo-philiac" underneath. -Sean "And I said, 'I have the world's biggest hemorrhoid,' and he said, 'is that why you're sitting in that beanbag chair?' and I said, 'Look again.'" -Emo Phillips ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 96 14:23:44 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Now I am confused.. > (yep, I KNOW I said I was off home, but I told my mum a 60% lie about having > an essay to do, and I'm still here..teehee...) > I was very confused when I read Jonathan Chaffer saying that A18 and > JH weren't out on tape, because, unless, I have been hallucinating for the > last 3 years, I have *both* on tape! Proper, legit copies from HMV in Bromley > (awful town in Southern England, avoid it. But hey! It's home). > Yes they are all avilable. It even says so on the back off jh and a18 (also aviable on casset by some co i forget the name of) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 15:22:47 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Mmm... this shoe is tasty! Open mouth. Insert foot. Well, apparently I made a big mistake regarding the availability of A18 and JH or vinyl and cassette. However, I cannot find any mention of those versions of the albums in the discography. Am I wrong? Perhaps those who have seen said recordings should tell John Relph so he can update that document. --Jon, who's shamefaced but excited about being named a Shipman scholar at U. of Mich. :-) +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Flood strangeness..... Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 15:43:40 -0600 (CST) Interesting... Evidentally I'm having terrific luck... I haven't ever even had a close call about my Flood CD.... Maybe the gods have sent me here for some.... purpose........... Party on, all, and have a great weekend! -CJ, who's actually getting around to getting some email sent recently.... `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Fri, 22 Mar 96 16:37:06 MST Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album--rap music? ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 9 My family got me flood for my birthday a couple of years ago, and it hasn't disappeared yet. The only rap song that excited me enought to buy it was "Cantaloop" by US-3. Dr Demento played a nice rap by Spearhead called "There's a Hole In The Bucket" based on the old folk song. It was pretty good. Of course the old Hammerman cartoon show was always fun to watch. ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: baltimore show Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 19:54:48 -0500 (EST) > > can anybody verify this for me? > > i heard (very much through my grapevine) that there will be a TMBG show > around Baltimore (B. City, D.C.) on April 12th. Isn't that the er-town date? -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Bejezus@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 19:32:55 -0500 Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album This is getting spooky. I too lost my tape of Flood. Then one day (a year later) I found it again and it sparked me to go out and buy all the other albums. Now my tape is in the care of my best friend (I got the CD) so I guess I should warn him. Also my other friend just bought it (thanks to me) so I better warn him too. Freaked out (nothing new), Brother JohnBejezus (formerly Beezus) P.S.-anyone else like Eek! The Cat "They don't call me Colonel Homer because I'm some dumb-ass army guy!"-Homer Simpson ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 19:03:43 -0600 (CST) From: Adam Procter Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album At 11:10 AM 3/22/96 -0600, you wrote: >On the subject of stuff TMBG fans like, how about the following: >Laser Tag Yeah! Yeah! ;-) Adam Procter aprocter@mail.coin.missouri.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 20:07:09 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: lucky ball and chain I once played Flood for a bunch of people, all of whom liked it and wanted to hear it, except for one girl who in all other respects I like (tho' I once broke her nose accidentally) who made me turn it off during Lucky Ball And Chain because she thought it was a country song. Hearing her angry French-Canadian vitriol being hurled at TMBG for a crime they did not even commit was both amusing and disturbing. Mike. ------------------------------ From: Jon Mann Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-82 Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 12:25:59 +1030 (CST) > Well, I have lost my tape of flood about 20 times, to later find it > somewhere I had never had it. Also, *SNIFF* my flood Cd was scratched > one day after I got it, and although I do not handle all cd's carefully, > I worship my TMBG cd's and take care of them with extreme care. Worst > part, it is scrachted on Letterbox which is my favortie song to sing along > with > ...*pout Mine's scratched on Mr. Horrible, automatically making it my favourite since I rarely get to hear the full version. It's probably second on Flood to Letterbox with long rambling song lines as well... (I hope what I just wrote makes sense?) Oh, by the way, Red Dwarf is an English comedy/SF show, which is very good (and is finally into another season soon). It contains parodies of most standard SF cliches (and stuffs around with time to no end). "No silicon heaven? Where would all the calculators go?" --Jon *------------------------------------------------------------------------ - Jon 'the Bosch' Mann - "If I bring back the ashtrays, can I have - - jemann @smug.student - my prefrontal?" - PK.Dick, VALIS - - or @cs, at .adelaide.edu.au (Confusing enough for you?) --------------- ------------------------------ From: Bejezus@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 21:50:11 -0500 Subject: Re: Likes and Dislikes In a message dated 96-03-21 21:01:02 EST, you write: >Wu-Tang Clan (I know..... Nothing like TMBG, but I'm REALLY open > minded about my music.) On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Anne Warren King wrote: > On a different note (F sharp, my personal favorite) > Golly, does no one person on this list have a tolerance for rap? I > admit that gangsta rap is quite unappealing, but I can't help liking the > Fugees and the Pharcyde very much. I like them too. That's basicly the only rap I like. Espcially ODB. your evil twin, Brother JohnBejezus P.S.- I also like the Refugees (listen to the album that's what they call themselves) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 22:28:52 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: Likes and Dislikes On Fri, 22 Mar 1996 Bejezus@aol.com wrote: > > On a different note (F sharp, my personal favorite) > > Golly, does no one person on this list have a tolerance for rap? I > > admit that gangsta rap is quite unappealing, but I can't help liking the > > Fugees and the Pharcyde very much. > > I like them too. That's basicly the only rap I like. Espcially ODB. > your evil twin, > Brother JohnBejezus > P.S.- I also like the Refugees (listen to the album that's what they call > themselves) > The Fugees are ok. The only other thing even remotely close to rap i can stand is the Beastie Boys. The Beastie Boys are almost as cool as They are.... Doug ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-83 *****************************