Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-84 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 84 Sunday, 24 March 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG on Spring Break? more flood stuff/red dwarf etc connections with they songs Dave Barry/TMBG and other stuff TMBG LINKS Websites www.tmbg.com w/tour dates want to have any pics stumpbox and other ramblings My First Post Dance Hall Crashers To speak Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 09:40:29 -0500 From: Tom Sullivan Subject: TMBG on Spring Break? With this weekend being MTV's annual Spring Break special, they had a show on last night ("Spring Break Highlights", or something to that effect) in which they were showing the highlights of years past, in as little time as possible. When they were showing 1994, they show, for less then 5 seconds, 2 guys in blue shirts and black pants. One was holding a saxophone, I believe. They looked alot like the Johns. Did they play it that year? Does anyone remember? --- Tom Sullivan / Jonas Head Editor edi@cybercomm.net http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/homepage.html Jonas 16 -- One Year Anniversary -- April 2, 1996 --- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 10:39:08 -0800 From: Adrian Subject: more flood stuff/red dwarf etc Reading all these Flood "horror stories" got me to thinking about my own tape. A friend bought it when we were both still in high school, and me being a poor student, made a copy. That tape has disappeared so many times for unexplained reasons...and it has broken so many times that is now mostly scotch tape (from being spliced back together). Hmm..I wonder where it is now....? Maybe I'll add that CD to my "to buy" list... I guess I'll have to get ahold of some of those Red Dwarf tapes...the book I have mentions nothing of being "based on the hit PBS series" or anything, so I assumed it was like HHGTTG (book first, show later) and THAT series was terrible, IMHO. The whole thing about hitchikers is the way it was written, and the story was pretty bland by itself if you think about it. Anyway, I am officially off subject, so let's go full swing and get on to the next post... Adrian THIS MORNING'S QUOTE: "Black coffee's not enough for me...." ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 17:07:13 +0000 Subject: connections with they songs I have a peculiar yen for "The World's Address". To me it's almost a frightening song-- about a person achieving a very hollow triumph. I think of it as the story of a person who's come to some important realization, or come up with a new universal theory, or whatever. But as he tries to share his discovery, he finds out that no one cares. Something monumental has happened to him, and no one cares. The last two lines strike me as a cry of despair and anguish-- "Call the men of science, and let them hear this song! Tell them Albert Einstein and Copernicus were wrong!" And the music-- that ineffably melancholy, furious latin-beat that sweeps along the song and sometimes threatens to drown out the speaker. That's my view, anyway. Also "Piece of Dirt", because it's so delicately, beautifully sad, both musically and lyrically. And I love "End of the Tour," which should be in the dictionary as a definiton of "bittersweet". nnicole, signing out. "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 17:28:46 +0000 Subject: Dave Barry/TMBG and other stuff Hello all Dave Barry has actually written a column entitled "They Might Be Giants", about his young son's baseball team. Check it out, everyone, it's in Dave Barry Talks Back. Freaked me out, the first time I saw it. To whoever asked about ordering Their albums: I have the catalog (winter 95, I misplaced the newer one) in front of me, and it sez-- All 6 albums are available to order. All except Misc.T and A18 are available on vinyl as well as cassette and cd. Prices are $14 for cd, $8.50 for cassette, and $7.50 for vinyl, except the Flood vinyl, which is $10. The catalog also has all of the singles, except The Guitar. You can order by phoning (914) 359-0867 and leaving a message with your name, address, credit card # and expiration date, daytime phone #, and your order. Or you can write them at TMB Productions, Dept. PPFNP, PO Box 110535, Williamsburg Station, Brooklyn, NY 11211-0003. Hope this helps... Nicole (aka driver) "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 17:26:09 -0500 Subject: TMBG LINKS well Now, as I was contemplating, what is the point of everybody adding links here, and links there? So everybody who has a homepage concerning tmbg, here what: Im dontating my 2mb worth of AOL to make a page solely of tmbg links, nothing about the band, no big deal, just links, and as many as I can find. If you want your (world's) address in, just send it on over. thanks (aka) kaa oh ya, ill post the address as soon as its up and running always add your *new and improved* addresses, and just plain *new* ones, dont be shy. Let the whole world know your a tmbg fan! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 17:46:56 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Websites Tour dates? We got 'em. http://www.tmbg.com/ Interps? Chords? Lyrics? Links? Check this out. http://www.tmbg.org/ +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: www.tmbg.com w/tour dates Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 17:47:22 -0500 (EST) http://www.tmbg.com/ is now up and operational, and has tour dates. It's not how the site is going to end up, but at least it's some useful information. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 19:27:59 -0500 Subject: want to have any pics Well distinguished list members, As I have found out, many of you have home pages on the 'net. Im not sure how many of you have scanners, but im privelaged(sp) to have one, and if you have a fav pic on a tmbg album, ill be happy to scan it for you and send it on over. Also, I am blessed with a very cool program. If you have a (any kind in the world) grafix file and you need it converted to a different (any kind in the world) file, i'd be happy to do it for you. now I can say Im contributing. dont be shy, ill help you anyway (aka) KAA http://members.aol.com/KAACoolGuy/kurttmbg.htm ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 23:29:00 -0500 Subject: stumpbox and other ramblings hey everyone... for anyone who wants a *free* copy of stumpbox listen up... im dubbing copies as i type this... and im going def by the way as if anyone cares... if you want a copy here's the deal.. send a blank tape and sase * (sase does not mean a dollar, it means an envelope with sufficient postage.. or jus aneough stamps to post on the envelope you sent me to get it back to you) some people dont understand that... to; matt flood 2212 elm street stratford, ct 06497 or write to phil at shimbot@aol.com.. he's the creator and he's sending out tapes as well. some comments on the newslist 1. yes i like nirvana.. does anyone have a problem with that? 2. i like beck too... he's great in concert 3. the olson twins should be dragged out and shot 4. i booted a really good too much joy show... trades anyone? 5. there is just no one to vote for in the election is there? 6. hi helene and julie (brooks) !!!!!!!! once again as always ~-=the mighty mighty plaguerat=-~ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 00:22:39 -0500 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: My First Post Hello! I've been reading this list for the past two months or so, but this is my first post. I'll tell you about me: I'm Amy, i'm 17, i live in New York state, I luv tmbg (Linnell rules ; ) ), my fav tmbg song is She's an Angel, and my fav tmbg album would have to be...Flood...or Lincoln...or A18.. Anyway, i called a local radio station today cuz they said they were taking requests...and i asked them to play tmbg...and he wuz like, "Sure, what song do you want to hear?" and i said that i didn't care, i like all of their songs! So he played She's Actual Size for me and i wuz happy : ))) One last thing before i go...i got YM magazine at the grocery store tonight, and there wuz this article about what to do about "your racist friend". Just thought it wuz nifty. *) (* ) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (* When you're following an angel does it mean you have to throw your body off a building? AMY -- Registered ICC User check out http://www.usefulware.com/icc.html ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Dance Hall Crashers Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 02:40:04 -0500 (EST) Hi folks, This isn't really TMBG related but I thought you might all like it. I was over my friend, Brad's dorm who is a huge Giants fan and he lent me this CD by the Dance Hall Crashers called Lockjaw hat he said I would like. Well I think it is just fabulous! It's actually more of a Velocity Girl sounding album but it's also cool and fun like TMBG. Just wanted to recommend a cool band! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 01:54:07 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: To speak Hi there. If anybody wants to talk to me right now, go right ahead. I'm sure we can find something interesting to discuss. Mike. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-84 *****************************