Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-85 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 85 Monday, 25 March 1996 Today's Topics: My pages on the 'net Weird Al's Love/Hate for Linnell (??)*** (fwd) link pages on the 'net One thing. (Fwd) Red Dwarf/ Hitch Hiker's Guide arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhh Re: One thing. (Fwd) Re: Flood strangeness..... Re: Flood strangeness..... catching up... air play WV public Radio and Closet Conservatives.... A frightening incident Re: catching up... Re: WV public Radio and Closet Conservatives.... Re: these are a few of my favorite things.... Re: your mail Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album Re: Conservative Call Anarch Re: WV public Radio and Closet Conservatives.... Bored and Awake in the middle of da night Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 13:37:22 -0500 Subject: My pages on the 'net well, When constructing this new link page, I've updated my old pages. They will be My normal page http://members.aol.com/kaacoolguy/kurtpage.html My tmbg page http://members.aol.com/kaacoolguy/kurttmbg.html My link page is almost done Ill post it later today dont forget to send in your urls to post -kurt ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 96 14:39:49 -0800 From: Ruprecht Subject: Weird Al's Love/Hate for Linnell (??)*** (fwd) videot@tezcat.com (Mike Hoffman) wrote: >Not replying to any one post in particular, I'd just like to throw a bit >of perspective on this whole "Weird Al"/TMBG issue. (I speak with some >personal knowledge here, as I'm a friend of Al's and have also interviewed >Flans a number of times, too). > >Al is a fan of TMBG, has been since they started out. He recently recorded >an original song, "Everything You Know is Wrong," which is a "style >parody" of TMBG - it intentially sounds very much like them. He tried very >hard to *make* it sound like a TMBG song. > >A few years ago, in an TV interview I conducted with Flans, I asked how he >felt about Al being a fan of theirs and if there could ever be a tour (or >at least a single show) where the two could play together. (I asked this >because I knew Al's interview was going to run back-to-back with the TMBG >interview, and thought I could get each performer to comment on the >other). > >Flans was reluctant to say anything and declined to comment on camera. Off >the record, though, he indicated that TMBG were not really big Al fans and >although Al had made a number of attempts to suggest such an arrangement >(playing together), the band had politely turned him down, feeling >(although never telling him so directly) that his material and theirs are >not compatible. For whatever reason, TMBG just don't consider themselves >the same type of act. > >Fans of both acts, such as myself, may tend to disagree. Accordions, >catchy music, and - let's face it - the notion that each, in their own >way, really is a "novelty act" with immense talent but somewhat limited >widespread commercial appeal. > >A lot of people have "Weird Al" records and TMBG records... but would you >include them with other bands if someone asked you who your favorite >musicians were? I would, and a good percentage of those who read this >newsgroup would... but unless you're *really* into that open-minded, >novelty-conscious niche, you probably wouldn't - even if you owned every >record. > >Personally, I'd love to see them onstage together - if not *sharing* the >stage, then at least on the same bill. And I think Al would love to see >that, too. But it will probably never happen. > >* * * * * > >And about that style parody: it's really good and reflects the earlier, >quirky, pre-John-Henry sound of the core TMBG duet. And any TMBG fans who >take it as a slap in the face really shouldn't - Al has respect for TMBG >and his style parodies are never intended as insults. It's the second >track on Al's new CD, "Bad Hair Day." > I thought that in the light of the recent discussion we had on the subject of this song that those of you on the list who never go to the newsgroup would appreciate this ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 15:01:57 -0500 Subject: link pages on the 'net To all who have been wondering: (drum roll) the link page that will give you access to almost every tmbg page is http://members.aol.com/kaacoolguy/tmbglink.html dont forget to submit your urls thanks, kurt ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 17:56:58 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: One thing. (Fwd) If anyone can help this guy out, please send mail with the info to either me, him, or the list. >Date: Sun, 24 Mar 96 14:22:49 -0800 >From: Jeff Kilpatrick III >MIME-Version: 1.0 >To: jchaffer@tmbg.org >Subject: One thing. > >Might you know how well any of TMBG's songs have done on the >American charts? I've heard that they've never been Top 40, but >would you know, or could you please point me to somewhare I could >find, any information as to whether they hit #s 41-100 with >anything? > >Thanks, >Jeff Kilpatrick III > +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 23:22:23 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Red Dwarf/ Hitch Hiker's Guide Adrian blasphemed: > I guess I'll have to get ahold of some of those Red Dwarf tapes...the > book I have mentions nothing of being "based on the hit PBS series" or > anything, so I assumed it was like HHGTTG (book first, show later). No, no, no, no and no. Red Dwarf started life as a TV series. It's British. There have been six series so far (and Chris Barrie's pulling out now, in case anyone's interested). It was originally shown on BBC2. And on the subject of HHGTTG, it was a radio series before it was ever a book or a TV series (or a towel or computer game or record or anything else, for that matter). And the radio series was better than all of them put together. So there. Mark ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 18:39:10 -0500 Subject: arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhh I just found out that my parents taped over my house of Blues tape with a crappy show, not to be named here, I bet the same thing happened to my dubs back when I was still using them and playing them over and over again, hmmm, the answer to the Flood tape conspiracy? People who know us but can't stand TMBG? ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 18:47:18 -0500 Subject: Re: One thing. (Fwd) In a message dated 96-03-24 18:01:50 EST, you write: >>Might you know how well any of TMBG's songs have done on the >>American charts? I've heard that they've never been Top 40, but >>would you know, or could you please point me to somewhare I could >>find, any information as to whether they hit #s 41-100 with >>anything? back when I was into pop music and just starting with They my older brother said that my sister said that She's an Angel was the only song of theirs that ever made it into the top 40, but I know that can't be true because it was never a single ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 18:16:53 -0600 (CST) From: hockin katrina louis Subject: Re: Flood strangeness..... My Flood cd got switched with my roommates Mariah Carey cd for spring break, but I have it back now. Katrina ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Flood strangeness..... Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 18:16:29 -0600 (CST) > My Flood cd got switched with my roommates Mariah Carey cd for spring > break, but I have it back now. I'm so sorry... Glad you got it back, though.... ------- This has been another pointless message from CJ Kucera who need get out more. `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 19:56:59 -0500 (EST) From: Craig Whyte Subject: catching up... I'm back. A week of studying and spring break took a toll on me. He is the update on the TMBG playlist on my show at WTSR: 03/06: "Stompbox" (for 'Nette) 03/13: "The Statue Got Me High" 03/20: "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" (was going to do "We're the Replacements" because of all the substitutes working at the station over break, but I forgot to cue the cassette) Next Show 03/27: Something off Misc. T That's all for now: time to read the 10 TMBG Digests sitting in my mailbox. Later, Craig ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 21:03:41 -0500 From: stjtc02@moravian.edu (JEREMY CAMPBELL) Subject: air play while at home in NJ yesterday I heard snail shell on 106.3 FM I think its called whtg out of eatontown NJ. It was the first time i heard they on real commercial radio. jer =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= She looked at me O O And her smiling tears were warm and sweet and free L And the moonlight kissed her eyes (____) As it mingled with our sighs And she whispered, "Sometimes love is only sleeping" =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 21:18:30 -0500 (EST) From: Paul Sebold Subject: WV public Radio and Closet Conservatives.... Hello you happy people, I was in a car on the way to the ballet in Pittsburgh being forced to listen to WV public radio coming out of Mrogantown, wv. Anyway, as we preceded along route 51 (the road with the carpeted exterior punchbug) a talk show came on. During its intro following a commercial or something, they played the start of "Pencil Rain". What does it all mean? Is there a TMBG-publicradio-WV conspiracy? Did Kennedy's head go back-and-to-the-left-because of a second gunman? Of course not. Just bringing it up. Another interesting observation of mine.... At my tmbg website, where I list my fav tmbg songs, many floks have been finding it with webcrawler and signing my illustious guestbook par excellance extravavganza. Anyway, for one question I ask who your favorite pres candidate is. An alarming 45% put Pat Buchanon! (second place was Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy's, in response to my advocacy of his campaign) While I am not advocating Buchanon, I have noticed that TMBG has a more diversified political fan-base than your typical Pearl Jam/Nirvana liberals-only fan following. I have met a lot of conservative people (no, conservative does not equate either a tight ass or a hate for those who disagree) on this list, many of whom aren't exactly models of anal-retentiveness. What I want to know is how many closet conservatives are out there... speak up, yon right-wingers! We've had the stoners and the nymphos speak out lately on the list, so now lets have a political tussle. Different is good, and it's a part of TMBG's following more than any other group methinks. I think we've got some healthy political differences on this list. Oh ya, some of you people should kinda watch what you about certain groups, like Amy (I mean Aimee) Pflieger said, you can express dissent without being offensive. Those with truly open minds don't need to profess it constantly, and respect the opinions of those who disagree. Oh ya, flames are welcome and expected.. fire away, sweeties. -I'd ask you if you don't mind to kiss you a hundred times... If I ........... wasn't shy..... If I ....... wasn't shy..... ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ + -I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone's right + + to one minute of my life ~Ayn Rand~ + + psebold@husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us Paul Sebold + + http://husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us/~psebold/extra.html + ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 22:28:55 +0000 Subject: A frightening incident Hello all I was at the Palace of the Legion of Honor (a museum in San Francisco) yesterday. While wandering around, my eye lit upon a cabinet/dresser thingy, and I drew closer to take another look. The identifying card at the bottom said that it was based on a design by *John Linnell* (1729-1776). I thought that was freaky!!! Zat's all from here. nicole (aka driver) "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 22:11:35 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: catching up... On Sun, 24 Mar 1996, Craig Whyte wrote: > Next Show 03/27: Something off Misc. T If I may, I humbly request "Hey Mr. DJ..." Although I'll never be able to hear it ('cause I live up in Canada, and my radio was eaten by a polar bear that got into my igloo, while I was ice fishing), it's one of my favourite songs off Misc. T, and it would be nice to know it's being played somewhere. Thanks for your time and consideration. Alex ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 22:26:08 +0000 Subject: Re: WV public Radio and Closet Conservatives.... > What I want to know is how many closet conservatives > are out there... speak up, yon right-wingers! We've had the stoners and > the nymphos speak out lately on the list, so now lets have a political > tussle. Different is good, and it's a part of TMBG's following more than > any other group methinks. I think we've got some healthy political > differences on this list. Oh ya, some of you people should kinda watch > what you about certain groups, like Amy (I mean Aimee) Pflieger said, you > can express dissent without being offensive. Those with truly open minds > don't need to profess it constantly, and respect the opinions of those > who disagree. Oh ya, flames are welcome and expected.. fire away, sweeties. Uh.. oh I think you hit a nerve.... and hence my spew on the subject; first of all, I am an Anarch, not the law breaking, virus placing, bomb making kind of Anarch who is so antiestablishmentarian, the only thing on his/her mind is to figure out the best ways to break the law, and destroy the government, because few of these people exist, and all of them are different from each other in one way or another. I am an Anarch in political ideal only, and hence obey laws (except for maybe speed limits, but if that counted we'd all be Anarchs), use my right to vote, and pay close attention to the political state of our nation and the world around us. As an Anarch, I spend a lot of time analyzing the political and social aspects of our society, and have come up with the following conclusions: There is no such thing as liberal or conservative. To label oneself as liberal or conservative is to stempt to associate one's self with a stereotype which in no way completely fits any one individual. It should be evident by our difference in taste that was recently evidenced by our posting of likes and dislikes that we are all individuals and hence all different. As TMBG listeners we all share a common ground, but we are all still INDIVIDUALS. Labeling people as conservative or liberal is just a means of saying that one thinks the world is to complicated with individuals, and that people should instead be crammed into specific politcal molds. I take equal amount of offense to someone call me a liberal as someone calling me a conservative, because both mean that the person assumes that I fit some specific mold of political beliefs, well I don't, and neither do any of you.... end spew... questions? comments? flames?, feel free to send them...(as a matter of fact I'd like to know what a few people feel about this) Wilbz __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/ | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 23:22:30 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: these are a few of my favorite things.... > > Tracy's Top Ten Secrets of Mailing Listers: > 10. Jeanette: working undercover as a spy from the Coolio mailing list The truth is, I'm really John Flansburg, using an assumed name so that I can spy on you all, and report back to Elektra with an estimate of approximately HOW MUCH LONGER you all will hold out for Freaksickle. If you believe that, you really need to re-examine your thought processes. Anyway, I'm back from spring break! And I had a fairly good time, except for one little thing - because of a communication error w/ my friend robin (Of mangled lyric fame), I did not go to the ML show. :( However, I did find out that I can get from my home in Iselin to Bethlehem and back with less than a tank of gas, I figured out ALL the They references in Everything you know is wrong (GREAT ALBUM, Al! Keep it up!), and I annoyed the heck out of my kid brother all week. Oh, what a life!! Love to all of you!!! Nette _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ < >< ><@><.>< >< > "..... and a di di di, dah dah dah, and whatever the hell else you wanna put in there....." - Martin Short *--------------------------------------------------------------- "I hit my head; now I'm left-handed" - Flanny, "Unsupervised.." <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 23:31:34 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: your mail On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Josh Younger wrote: > Lets do a survey: Ok, sounds like fun. > 1. Which John do you like better? Depends - I've always loved Linnell, however, Flanny has his finer points - and looks an awful lot like this guy I've been seeing..... > 2. What is your favorite TMBG album? Whatever I've listened to last. Right now, Live in NY. > 3. What is your favorite TMBG song? "She's an Angel". Definately. This week, anyway. Love to ya, 'Nette _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ < >< ><@><.>< >< > "..... and a di di di, dah dah dah, and whatever the hell else you wanna put in there....." - Martin Short *--------------------------------------------------------------- "I hit my head; now I'm left-handed" - Flanny, "Unsupervised.." <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 23:49:51 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: Flood, amazing disappearing album >I believe that Flood is a cursed album..... [etc., etc.] Well, I don't know about Flood, but my Debut and Mono Puff keep on disappearing and then showing up in my brother's room........ is he a closet fan, and not telling me? Sheesh! I could be taking the lad to concerts, the silly kid!! Off on a tangent again, 'Nette _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ < >< ><@><.>< >< > "..... and a di di di, dah dah dah, and whatever the hell else you wanna put in there....." - Martin Short *--------------------------------------------------------------- "I hit my head; now I'm left-handed" - Flanny, "Unsupervised.." <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ From: BenRayJ@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 00:06:12 -0500 Subject: Re: Conservative Call I just found this list the other day and was planning on waiting a while to get the jist of things before I wrote but this political roll call intrigues me. I have been a TMBG fan for a little a while (Flood was the first tape I ever bought and Apollo 18 was the first CD). I mention this just to establish my referances. Anywho, since it has been my experience that most fans are relatively young and few young people are conservatives I am interested to know how these groups cross over. I am a conservative, but not a closet one. I read Rush Limbaugh's first book and half of his second one. However, Dole, not Buchanon, is my man for president. I believe Buchanon is too extreme. As for the subject of radio airplay the only TMBG song I have ever heard on the radio is "Birdhouse in your Soul". I have heard it both on a Prescott station (I live in Arizona) and on the university station here at A.S.U. Where ever I hear it, it is always missing the "I'm your only friend..." intro. That's all for now. Ben Jacobson "There's a place for those who love their family, It's right across from the sign that says 'prose only'" Rythm Section Want Ad ------------------------------ From: BenRayJ@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 00:39:44 -0500 Subject: Anarch After sending my last message (at the same time actually) I recieved this other response to the consevative question which (unintentionally) makes me look like some kind of mental robot because I do identify myself with one of those groups. Therefore I feel I must clarify and defend my position. First, let me say that I have a good friend who is an anarchist and you have every right to your opinion. Now, let me preceed to rip your opinion to shreds. While stereo-typing has become one of those no-no P.C. words it is not something that can or should be avoided. It is true that few people fit into predescribed boxes of labels such as liberal or conservative. I, in fact, do not believe in every conservative ideal out there. However, if no one was judge by the groups they belong to their would be chaos (which you as a Anarchist would probably love). Imagine walking up to someone and having no preconcieved notions of how they will act. Are they going to hit you or bow down and kiss your feet. This goes far beyond the meeting phase of a relationship. As you get to know someone you first identify what groups they "belong" to and then based on the doctorines of that group they agree or disagree with find out who they are as an individual. Since everyone who reads this belongs to the group- They Might Be Giants fans- I assume you all will consider this seriously and realize that if you do not agree that it is fine, of course I could be wrong. Also, just to keep the true subject of this list alive in this letter, I will mention something considering TMBG more directly. I have a mysterious story concerning my Lincoln CD. Everytime I play it on my computer CD-ROM, unless I play it from begining to end, it freaks out. If I put it on random it will start playing the same song over and over again and eventually switch itself of random. I also created a playlist that started at the end and went to the begining. This too will go about two or three songs in and then turn around and play to the end. Just a weird TMBG story. Ben Jacobson "He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth. People should be beat up for stating their beliefs." Shoehorn with Teeth ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 21:39:16 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: WV public Radio and Closet Conservatives.... Paul Sebold wrote: >What I want to know is how many closet conservatives >are out there ... speak up, yon [sic] right-wingers! We've had the stoners and >the nymphos speak out lately on the list, so now let[']s have a political >tussle. Different is good, and it's a part of TMBG's following more than >any other group methinks. I think we've got some healthy political >differences on this list. Oh y[e]a[h], some of you people should kinda watch >what you [say] about certain groups[;] like Amy (I mean Aimee) Pflieger >said, you >can express dissent without being offensive. Those with truly open minds >don't need to profess it constantly, and [they] respect the opinions of those >who disagree. People should get beat up for stating their beliefs (yes, I am aware that this statement can be construed as taping a "kick me" sign to my back, and I maintain that it does not express a belief but an exhortation). Just as a historical tidbit, I remember John and John urging their audience to go out and vote in the '92 election when I saw Them at a free concert at Union Square in San Francisco that year. They didn't name any names, but they said something to the effect of "let's throw those bastards out!" As for stoners and nymphos, the level of commentary from that quarter has been substandard, but there's always the possibility of improvement.... And the presence of "healthy political differences," it stands to reason, would seem to preclude watching "what you say about certain groups." Just try to shut up a Whig when there's a Tory around. Just to deflect the accusation of being non-committal, I will go out on a limb with respect to my own position and say that I find Newt Gingrich sort of endearing in an odd, chubby, red-nosed, wrongheaded, Republican, scary kind of way. Kasey "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 00:36:10 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: Bored and Awake in the middle of da night I got around to thinking (which I don't do much), and everytime I see the back of the Apollo 18 album, it says that TMBG are "musical ambassadors" for the national astronautic (blah...). Does anyone know what this means, and what are their duties as "ambassadors"? I have a new TMBG Web page. Although not completely finished, it has over 50 tmbg links, and (suprisingly) 8 people have been there since I finished it twenty minutes ago. This is going to be a good one. It's address is: http://members.gnn.com/Momaw/they.htm Hey, someone just sent a letter to the mailing list right now. Who would be that stupid to stay up at night and just write letters to the list? Anyways, I wanna go and read it. Bye :) =] :] =} ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-85 *****************************