Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-86 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 86 Tuesday, 26 March 1996 Today's Topics: tmbg on radio hi y'all Re: Dance Hall Crashers Red Dwarf/HHGTTG/Politics/Whatever Digested Boba Mail conservative/too extreme TMBG Video Bootleg--Status update Re: air play The Lincoln Vinyl LP--secret message Loose ends from Digest #85 Re: air play Re: connections with they songs Re: Weird Al's Love/Hate for Linnell (??)*** (fwd) Re: connections with they songs Re: Anarch TMBG Rareties Tape ooooops Re: Anarch Songs Played Re: air play PAT! BOZO FILE: Re: One thing. (Fwd) radio-friendly-MI Vinyl mysteries TMBG on 120 TMBG LINKS Re: radio-friendly-MI Re: Anarch driving thoughts... Re: Vinyl mysteries Re: arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhh (none) Re: BOZO FILE: Re: One thing. (Fwd) Re: Conservative Call Re: tmbg on radio Re: Anarch Re: your mail I'm back! Re: Anarch Philosophy, Anarchy, and Prose Anarch and Radio Tunes The rest of my mail Re: Dance Hall Crashers Shuffle Off to Apollo In response to the conservative thing, and all about the garden , weasel. Hmmmmmm mighty mighty bosstones and TMBG Re: Anarch Re: Shuffle Off to Apollo DLS RE: Red Dwarf Re: Dance Hall Crashers Re: your mail Lincoln lyrics Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 03:09:02 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: tmbg on radio Here in Toronto, it is very unlikely that you will hear a TMBG song on the radio. The only ones I have ever heard are Birdhouse In Your Soul, Istanbul (the remix once), The Guitar and Snail Shell. And the latter two only once. When I had my short lived radio show on CKLN, Ryerson's FM radio station, I played Them all the time: Fingertips, Cabbagetown, I'm Def, Which Describes How You're Feeling, For Science; all the more obscure tracks (the whole focus of my show). "Alternative" radio here is generally a corporate thing and the playlists revolve around established artists or "darlings" of the station and new stuff by more varied acts like TMBG are only played if there is some sort of enormous groundswell of support by fans, which for some reason never happened here with TMBG. (At least not in this sense; their shows still sell out and all that stuff). So I don't listen much anymore but I can guarantee you that TMBG isn't played very often. Of course I think that a lot would change if they ever got superhuge; a lot of the venues that theu play now would probably be deemed too small or out of the way; I think the subsequent label-forced overexposure would kill some of what makes them special; this kind of weird intimacy that TMBG fans feel they have with John and John might slip away...who knows? Of course I want others to love them and buy their records but I don't know if I want them to suddenly become major superstars...don't they both seem the kind of people who would reject that sort of thing anyway? Maybe I don't even know what I'm talking about, it's three o'clock in the morning and I'm spouting inanities. All I'm saying is that part of the TMBG experience is knowing that you've found something wonderful that most other people are either unwilling or unable to acknowledge as brilliant. I think a lot of the time when new creative ground is broken there will always be a contingent of the population who will recognise this and their lives will be changed, whereas most people will ignore it. This is why I have posited many times that many years from now TMBG will be revered as geniuses when their back catalogues are discovered by future civilisations. No doubt the numerous radio waves flying through space into the universe beyond which contain TMBG material have become favourites of the alien civilisations which cruise the cosmos listening to and watching us. This I believe wholeheartedly. Mike. a new web site soon to come for fans of new and better things. More info to come. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 04:13:46 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: hi y'all "black coffee's not enough for me, i need a better friend" that's kinda my motto right now, considering that my english paper is due today (right now it's about 4:15am and i've just finished note cards. not even actual paper yet). BANSAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! daniel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 04:17:13 -0800 From: Brian Lamb Subject: Re: Dance Hall Crashers Matthew James wrote: > > Hi folks, > he lent me this CD by the Dance Hall Crashers called Lockjaw hat he said > I would like. Well I think it is just fabulous! It's actually more of > a Velocity Girl sounding album but it's also cool and fun like TMBG. > Just wanted to recommend a cool band! > Matt Yeah, my roommate got their album and they're pretty good... Just adding my support to this recommendation. Later, Brian __________________________________________________________________ The best thing you ever done for me Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life afterall - Indigo Girls ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 09:18:14 -0800 From: Adrian Subject: Red Dwarf/HHGTTG/Politics/Whatever I figure it's easier to send one message on a lot of stuff than a lot of messages on a lot of stuff. Or something like that... > No, no, no, no and no. Red Dwarf started life as a TV series. It's > British. There have been six series so far (and Chris Barrie's pulling out > now, in case anyone's interested). It was originally shown on BBC2. I said I had ASSUMED it came first because I hadn't HEARD of the TV series until after I had read the book...this was in response to somebody else telling me the book wasn't first. > And on the subject of HHGTTG, it was a radio series before it was > ever a book or a TV series (or a towel or computer game or record or > anything else, for that matter). I knew about the HHGTTG radio broadcasts, but it has been like six years since I had read any of that stuff or paid much attention to it, so it slipped my mind! Never heard them tho. Us Knoxvillians only get Prairie Home Companion and an occasional Fawlty Towers...you can forget either or those british things unless I have just missed them entirely. The tv show still was miserable. On another note, my arlo guthrie tape with Alice's Restaurant has suffered a disappearance more mysterious than my Flood tape ever did. (if you haven't listened to that song before, it is well worth the 15 minutes or so it takes!) Just thought I'd bring that up. I must admit I have turned out quite conservative. I was quite the liberal guy way back in highschool, but one thing led to another and here I am being conservative. Albeit I happened upon most of my ideology through different means than a lot of conservatives, I guess it all boils down to the same thing. But that is another novel...figured I'd stick that in since politics has come up, but won't bore you any longer with details! This is quite long I just noticed...sorry! I'll go away now! until next time... __________________________________ email: abarnes@conc.tdsnet.com "How about going back to sleep for a few minutes and forgetting all this nonsense" -Gregor Samsa __________________________________ ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 09:27:12 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail I've heard TMBG on the radio alot. WYEP out of Pittsburgh plays a lot of radio friendly TMBG songs like Istanbul. WDVE out of Pitt plays Minimum Wage every day during on their morning show. On another note, who's got TMBG live performances? Write me and we'll talk. Glad to see evrybobdy digs satire (I got no flames). Craig White: Could you sometime play Whistling In The Dark on your station? If you could make it like this "This one goes out to Kristin from some guy in Pennsylvania who calls himself Boba." Thanks! :-) Anyway, Boba Out. <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, I was bent metal. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "BUT YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ME BECAUSE I HAVE A SPECIAL JOB" "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 09:43:31 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: conservative/too extreme i believe it was ben jacobson who said that he likes rush limbaugh but finds buchanan too radical?????!!! what???!!! peace, anne "the bleeding-heart" heidemann ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 08:54:35 MST Subject: TMBG Video Bootleg--Status update Attention! Here is the status of the video bootleg so far-- The shows marked with an asterisk and a time indicate ones that I have received to date. I have almost enought material to make the first tape. If you have any of the TV appearances that are not marked, please contact me. I'll be soon ready to make a master tape and start copying it for everyone who wants to get these hard-to-find TV appearances. Share the ones that you have with your cyber-friends! Russ ============================================================================= TMBG TV Appearances--Master List Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com 1217 N Aspen Dr 03/22/96 Berthoud, CO 80513 ============================================================================= Date * Time Show Songs Source -------- ----- ------------- ---------------------------- ---------------- 07/??/89 Post Purple Toupee [video] Modern Whistling in the Dark [live] MTV Maybe I Know [live] / Letterbox [live] / Lucky Ball and Chain [live] 05/12/90 * 04:08 Letterman Your Racist Friend [live] Mike Rose 05/??/90 * 02:25 Muchmusic Interview segments Mike Rose 03/??/90 120 Minutes Birdhouse IYS [video] Where Your Eyes Don't Go [acoustic] Particle Man [acoustic] Lincoln Nick Rocks 02/01/91 * 04:51 Tiny Toons #51 Istanbul [animated] Byron White Particle Man [animated] Flood Tonight Istanbul 04/13/92 * 12:28 Muchmusic She's Actual Size [live] Mike Rose Mammal [live] The Statue GMH [video] 04/??/92 120 Minutes The Statue GMH[video] Mammal [live over the credits] 05/19/92 * 03:43 Letterman I Palindrome I [live] Mike Rose 07/05/92 * 11:08 Tonight The Guitar [live] Mike Rose The Statue GMH [live] interview ??/??/?? Letterman The Statue GMH 06/??/93 120 Minutes Particle Man Where Your Eyes DG 08/??/93 120 Minutes Why Does the SS [live] 10/26/93 * 09:23 Conan O'Brien Why Does the SS [live] Mike Rose interview 10/??/94 120 Minutes WDTSS 10/??/94 * 10:35 120 Minutes John & John guest hosts Bryan White Snail Shell [video] AKA Driver [live] The End OT Tour [live over credits] Summer95 Celebrate Brooklyn Festival 01/??/95 House of Blues The Guitar No One Knows My Plan Istanbul ??/??/94 * 04:45 Good Morning Dirt Bike [live] Russ Josephson ??/??/?? MTV ?? Snail Shell [live] ============================================================================= Regular Videos: ============================================================================= TMBG Video Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head Compilation Don't Let's Start Hotel Detective Ana Ng They'll Need a Crane Purple Toupee 03/??/90 * 03:10 Birdhouse IYS [video] Mike Rose 05/??/90 * 02:30 Istanbul [video] Mike Rose 04/??/92 * 03:45 The Guitar [video] Mike Rose ??/??/?? * 03:06 The Statue GMH [video] Bryan White ??/??/?? * 03:18 Snail Shell [video] Bryan White P.S. I'm not going to put the TMBG video compilation on this tape, as THAT would be blatant piracy. So go out and buy it already. The price is under $15. Our bootleg recording is one which includes material that is NOT available through regular channels, but which any of us could have taped off the air in our own homes for personal use. And it will be shared without earning any of us a profit. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 10:14:24 -0600 From: Katrina Hockin Subject: Re: air play At 09:03 PM 3/24/96 -0500, you wrote: >while at home in NJ yesterday I heard snail shell on 106.3 FM I think its >called whtg out of eatontown NJ. It was the first time i heard they on >real commercial radio. >jer I heard Snail Shell on Q101 in Chicago right before John Henry was released. Katrina $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $ $ $I am not broken so don't fix me. $ $ $ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 09:16:11 MST Subject: The Lincoln Vinyl LP--secret message Someone mentioned that there was writing on the inner hub of the first TMBG album (in the run-out groove). So I checked out my vinyl copy of "Lincoln" and found the following inscriptions: Side 1: "I don't want the world" Side 2: "I just want your half" ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 11:31:29 -0500 (EST) From: Craig Whyte Subject: Loose ends from Digest #85 After reading today's digest I have come up with the following responses: To Jeremy Campbell: WHTG (FM 106.3 in Eatontown) occasionally plays TMBG songs, but its usually "Ana Ng", "Birdhouse In Your Soul", or "Snailshell". If I get a job there over the summer that will all change though. To Alex Gershon: Sorry to hear that your radio was savagely devoured. I have already played "Hey, Mr. DJ", so it won't be played again (see digests #45 & 62, i think), but I will play something just as good. To 'Nette: Man, I am getting really worried about you, and I think its fasincation with your car's MPG that will eventually send you to the loony bin. The "John" revelation doesn't concern me at all. :p That's enough rambling for now. See you all later. Craig ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: air play Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 10:55:13 -0600 (CST) > I heard Snail Shell on Q101 in Chicago right before John Henry was > released. REALLY? Q101 played Snail Shell???!!!??!!??!!! And I MISSED it?????????? Do you realize that's the absolute coolest thing anyone's ever told me???? Dang it, now I wanna go back home and get another Q101 fix (I go to college way the heck up in Wisconsin, where there's no such thing as a cool station like Q101.....) -CJ, who's off to write sendmail rules now... `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: Re: connections with they songs Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 13:20:21 EST > > I have a peculiar yen for "The World's Address". To me it's almost > a frightening song-- about a person achieving a very hollow triumph. > I think of it as the story of a person who's come to some important > realization, or come up with a new universal theory, or whatever. But as he tries > to share his discovery, he finds out that no one cares. Something > monumental has happened to him, and no one cares. The last two lines > strike me as a cry of despair and anguish-- "Call the men of science, > and let them hear this song! Tell them Albert Einstein and > Copernicus were wrong!" And the music-- that ineffably melancholy, furious > latin-beat that sweeps along the song and sometimes threatens to drown out the > speaker. > That's my view, anyway. > well, you are entitled to your view, but my view is that your view is not a truly accurate view.(did you ever notice how funny the word view sounds? but really, the funniest sounding word ever is 'tree') anyway, i think that TWA is about the unreality of the physical world. note: the world's address, a place that's warm, A SAD PUN that reflects a sadder mess. what else could this pun be but 'the world's a dress' (i.e. a cover-up). this theme is emphasizes to the point that nothing in the physical world matters and science, Copernicus, and Einstein were making theories that are internally consistent, but are grounded in an unprovable assumption(the world as we see it is real). here the johns take a page from thomas hume's philosophical theory. this motif is evident as well in the song "nothing's gonna change my clothes". if anyone has any comments on this i would be appreciative, as i don't have the lyrics in front of me and could be totally in left field (or right field, depending on your politics, which i will comment on in another post.) anyway, that's it for that one. farside ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: Re: Weird Al's Love/Hate for Linnell (??)*** (fwd) Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 13:22:38 EST > > > >Flans was reluctant to say anything and declined to comment on camera. Off > >the record, though, he indicated that TMBG were not really big Al fans and > >although Al had made a number of attempts to suggest such an arrangement > >(playing together), the band had politely turned him down, feeling > >(although never telling him so directly) that his material and theirs are > >not compatible. For whatever reason, TMBG just don't consider themselves > >the same type of act. YESSS!!! you see, flans knows what time it is! ;) farside ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 10:37:22 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: connections with they songs Farside wrote: >here the johns take a page from thomas hume's philosophical theory. Thomas whom? ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: Re: Anarch Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 13:43:09 EST > First, let me say that I have a good friend who is an anarchist and you have > every right to your opinion. i always have my self a good little chortle when i see people who claim to be anarchists(or Anarchs, or whatever), yet feel the need to label and thus institutionalize themselves(as anarchists). > Now, let me preceed to rip your opinion to > shreds. that's mean. > While stereo-typing has become one of those no-no P.C. words it is > not something that can or should be avoided. It is true that few people fit > into predescribed boxes of labels such as liberal or conservative. I, in > fact, do not believe in every conservative ideal out there. However, if no > one was judge by the groups they belong to their would be chaos (which you as > a Anarchist would probably love). Imagine walking up to someone and having > no preconcieved notions of how they will act. Are they going to hit you or > bow down and kiss your feet. i'm sorry but i just don't see what this has to do with a discussion of beliefs. i'm being completely sincere. if you could respond and perhaps explain how this application can transfer to our discussion, i'd appreciate it. thanks. > This goes far beyond the meeting phase of a > relationship. As you get to know someone you first identify what groups they > "belong" to and then based on the doctorines of that group they agree or > disagree with find out who they are as an individual. what is this obsession with identity? why do we feel like we need to know 'who we are'? or who that person is as an individual? and why do we feel like we can identify ourselves by belonging to groups? does that mean that if i'm not a member of any group, i don't have an identity?(like i even know what the word 'identity' really means) i think this may have been precisely the point that prior post was trying to make, although i can't speak for him/her. we tend to identify ourselves by our relationships to certain institutions(please refer: imagine, john lennon). what would happen if we didn't do that and instead of struggling with who we were, we just were? (as in daoism, wherein one simply is) > Since everyone who > reads this belongs to the group- They Might Be Giants fans- I assume you all > will consider this seriously and realize that if you do not agree that it is > fine, of course I could be wrong. thank you. i shall expect the same from you. farside "people keep coming up to me and saying "Emo, do people really come up to you?" -emo phillips(had to keep the emo thread alive) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 13:20:59 PST From: asturm Subject: TMBG Rareties Tape Hey someone on this digest had an address I could mail to with a tape and SASE to get a tape of rareties. I had it somewhere in my inbox. but low and behold I lost it. If the person who has that address is reading this please email me the address again. Or If any of you know the address. please mail me it. I have something you can add to your tape. I live version of JAmes Ensor, with no guitar just accordian, and they giants mimicing the guitair with thier voices. It's pretty Funny. So some one PLEASE get back to me RYaN sTUrm ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: ooooops Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 14:58:30 EST sorry, i meant david hume. silly me. been a year or so since i studied him. my bad. farside ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:00:09 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Anarch On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, milk wrote: > > "people keep coming up to me and saying "Emo, do people really come up to > you?" > > -emo phillips(had to keep the emo thread alive) Thank you...at least some people care. "I ran three miles today. Finally I said 'lady, take your purse'". -Emo Alex ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Organization: Agnes Scott College Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:33:38 EST Subject: Songs Played When I took this stupid required PE class over the summer in high school (not because I failed it, but because I didn't have time to take it over the school year) we would do things that were sort of related to physical education: miniature golf, bowling, roller skating, etc. Anyway, when we went roller skating these two people from my class would always make the DJ person (or whatever he was) play "Birdhouse." He always played the whole thing straight from the Flood CD, but he would never play any other songs from the CD. I asked him every time we went, but he refused. I'm not sure what this proves, but it relates to this whole hearing their songs on the radio thing. I have said before that some Detroit/Flint station in Michigan used to use a TMBG song for their commercials, AND an independent station in Pensacola, FL (Ch. 44) used to use the instrumental sections of TMBG and Depeche Mode when they would shoe their station logo along with a pretty picture of the beach or whatever. BUT all that was on the old list, so I thought \I'd repeat it for the benefit of our new friends. Anyway, I want to wish everyone a wonderful day. Bye! Jennifer ############################################################ "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu ################################################################## ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:36:54 -0500 (EST) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: air play On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Katrina Hockin wrote: > At 09:03 PM 3/24/96 -0500, you wrote: > >while at home in NJ yesterday I heard snail shell on 106.3 FM I think its > >called whtg out of eatontown NJ. It was the first time i heard they on > >real commercial radio. > >jer > > I heard Snail Shell on Q101 in Chicago right before John Henry was > released. > Katrina > > $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ > $ $ > $I am not broken so don't fix me. $ > $ $ > $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ > > Down here in Florida, we have a community radio station (email me privately if that must be explained :)) and on several occasions people have played tmbg....once this one dj lady went on a 25 minute streak of random songs from different albums...it was nifty and stuff.. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 14:45:26 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: PAT! All this talk of Pat Buchanan (whom I affectionately call Satan) reminds me of the 120 episode which the Johns hosted a while back. After a commercial break, Linell introduced himself as John Linnel and Flans introduced himself as Pat Buchanan. bye Michael Kinsley ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:29:38 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: BOZO FILE: Re: One thing. (Fwd) Latest addition to the Bozo File! The name and e-mail address of the sender has been removed to protect the guilty. This message is regarding the status of TMBG on the charts. >Well for one thing they suck and probably never have and never will make it >above #1000 on the charts. Why do all of you people waste you lives >listening to their crappy music. You should listen to some good music. I >know all you losers like at least one good band. >Eddie > >"Our little group has always been and always will until the end"-Kurt >Cobain, Smells Like Teen Spirit > Ahh, the lyrical genius of Nirvana. No wonder he frowns on our lowly musical interests! I guess he told *us*. :-) +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:19:51 -0500 Subject: radio-friendly-MI I guess I've been relatively lucky with tmbg radio experiences. Not to long ago they'd play snailshell three or four times a day (when it was first released) and I pushed it up to NUMBER EIGHT in the top ten at ten by requesting it like 2 twice per shift under different names, I gave up after awhile when They didn't gain too much Pop. Anyway I've also heard Don't Let's Start (4 or 5 times) and Instanbul and Bird House in Your Soul many many many times, I have, however, never heard anything from Lincoln or Apollo. I think the fact that "my" station used to play a lot of TmBG is due to: a)it was a new station and hadn't quite hit the Pop/Alt format yet... and b)One of the DJs, I think, was a big fan (but unfortunately isn't at the station anymore) well, that's MY waste of YOUR time ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:16:06 -0600 From: "jonas (my name is)" Subject: Vinyl mysteries scratched ever so nicely into the inner grooves of my hotel detective 12" vinyl reads the following mysterious message... side a: or as it states this side, reads... Motel Directive Wigue Wigue Wishnick and to confuse the matter, that side, (side b that is...) says... "IT IS DANGEROUS TO BE SINCERE UNLESS YOU ARE ALSO STUPID" these messages appear to be professionally applied, not scratched in by a psycho previous owner... this making me sufficiently curious, i next examined my birdhouse 12", unfortuantely to find nothing extraordinary there... as is the case with my otannenbaum record, although i do have a friend who's otannenbaum green vinyl has an additional suprise to it... deep within the vinyl casings of the record which is clear for those who have not seen it, there is a bug. odd. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:21:23 -0500 (EST) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: TMBG on 120 Hey, did anyone watch 120 Minutes last night? I stayed up late so I could see John Davis play, and right after the commercials when the show was about to come on, John Linnell and John Flansburgh were on! They said some thing like, "hi, I'm John!" "And I'm John!" "John!" "John!" "I'm John!" "We are from They Might be Giants!" "They!" "They Might be Giants!" "We want to wish 120 Minutes a happy 10th birthday!!!" "They!" "Happy Birthday!" (all simultaneously) it was so funny. Amanda ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:28:06 -0500 Subject: TMBG LINKS well To all those interested im still keeping my page that is only tmbg links. If anyone wants to add there's just send it on over. If you want to use this page to your advantage, it http://members.aol.com/kaacoolguy/tmbglink.html use it, enjoy it, give me links to add to it. also, if you have a grafix file that you need converted to anyother kind of grafix file, Id be glad to do it for you. -kurt ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 17:00:39 -0500 From: stjtc02@moravian.edu (JEREMY CAMPBELL) Subject: Re: radio-friendly-MI >I have, however, never heard anything from Lincoln or >Apollo. to bad. I was listining to apollo in the car today its a really great album. just mnsho jer :) ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 17:08:35 -0500 Subject: Re: Anarch In a message dated 96-03-25 00:44:22 EST, you write: >After sending my last message (at the same time actually) I recieved this >other response to the consevative question which (unintentionally) makes me >look like some kind of mental robot because I do identify myself with one of >those groups. Therefore I feel I must clarify and defend my position. > First, let me say that I have a good friend who is an anarchist and you have >every right to your opinion. First of all let me say that very idea that you are an anarchist says that you are nothing like say, the anarchist next door, there are people who go about trying to destroy the government and start revolutions, they are a group (I think they might be called the MI militia) and they have certain beliefs and a goal and are therefor subversives, but not Anarchists. Anarchy is a state of Chaos in which nothing is stable or reliable, the idea that all Anarchists run around making fires, play with fireworks and have weird styles and such is just plain bullshit (I'll stop myself from saying "that's been drummed up by the R__________"). I at on point ran around making -(A)- (anarchy signs) everywhere but then decided that it was just stupid and that I could do a much better job of being different and strange by just not trying, which is why I only get a hair cut about once in 6 months, only get new clothes when the other ones are completely worn out, and wear the yellow colored boots I got for my paper route to school even though everyone hates them... > Now, let me preceed to rip your opinion to >shreds. Mayhaps I'll return the favor? >While stereo-typing has become one of those no-no P.C. words it is >not something that can or should be avoided. It is true that few people fit >into predescribed boxes of labels such as liberal or conservative. I, in >fact, do not believe in every conservative ideal out there. However, if no >one was judge by the groups they belong to their [there] would be chaos (which you as >a Anarchist would probably love). chaos is preferable to everyone run about like scared pigeons talking with their friends (who happen to have identical haircuts and style of dress) about how much they love Silverchair (how could they do that to C.S. Lewis?) and Alanis Morrisette. Subscribing to such a grouping (or, slighty worse, a R&B grouping) is something that I find horribly repulsive, regardless of how many fake friends it will get you >Imagine walking up to someone and having >no preconcieved notions of how they will act. Are they going to hit you or >bow down and kiss your feet. This goes far beyond the meeting phase of a >relationship. As you get to know someone you first identify what groups they >"belong" to and then based on the doctorines of that group they agree or >disagree with find out who they are as an individual. Since everyone who >reads this belongs to the group- They Might Be Giants fans- I assume you all >will consider this seriously and realize that if you do not agree that it is >fine, of course I could be wrong. Wrong again, you only say this because you feel that you yourself are mentally superior to a large fraction of the population and so therefor you feel that people with similar tastes to yours are mentally superior as well... As for the self labeling issue, I currently find myself leaning toward Democratic point of views. I find it quite sad that our capital is overun with Republicans (who have been giving money to the rich since 1791) simply on the basis of people's moral beliefs, regardless of whether they are going to do something about that particular issue (you know what I'm talking about, but I don't feel the need to discuss that here). It seems that the Catholic Church (I can say this 'cause I'm a member) votes based on that one issue and really doesn't seem to care that the Republicans do in the poor and the working class (the MAJORITY of our country). if you want to debate whether Republicans actually do favor the rich, first take a look at ninth grade U.S History 1 and and look what it says under Alexander Hamilton's (the leader of the Federalist party which became the Whig, which became the Republican Party) beliefs then you'll see what you (I'm talking to the "conservatives") are voting for, and ruining my future with, but if you are a part of the rich minority go ahead. I should be allowed to vote, I understand it better than a lot of them I promise to do this non-TMBG spewing on the rarest of occasions ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 17:13:26 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: driving thoughts... i was driving home this morning (not home, school! i do that too much!) from a nifty weekend excursion...i had the desire for TMBG (surprised?) so i popped in my Lincoln CD (no i'm not rich, i just got the player as a gift once...)...then, when Lincoln ended (sob sob!), i was debating as to whether to switch to Apollo or Flood....hmmm, difficult choice... so, since i hadn't listened to Flood for a while... now that you're all wondering where i'm going with this...i'll tell you! i began to think about the ongoing (minor) thread (heh heh Minor Threat?) in which so many of us have declared for which TMBG album we have "the most" love...and i found it odd that i seem to remember not too many of us having said Flood. (mind you, i love it, but it's not my favorite...i think!) ok, that was the first part...then i began to think of another little thread which dealt with "which They album we would recommend to TMBG-newbies"...so...where am i going? why is it that it seemed Flood came up as the album we would most recommend to newbies, but it is not our favourite..? i think it an interesting consideration...think about it... the conclusion to which i basically came: While Flood IS definitely a very good album, catchy and all...i think it lacks the depth that some of TMBG's other albums contain...some of the other albums are good for the tried-and-true fans who REALLY can fully appreciate their ...exquisiteness! it is really quite promising, in my opinion...there is SO MUCH MORE good stuff to be heard and appreciated, past the initial Flood (heehee please excuse my silliness!) of music. it is really a happy, hopeful thing...hook the newbies on the catchy stuff, then hit them with the really good stuff...so they can revel with us in TMBGlory! i guess it's just promising when one looks at bands that really only have one good album, or whatever...there is so much good TMBG! heehee...silly me...sorry this is so long... and PLEASE don't get me wrong, i really love Flood, i just find i tend to listen to it a bit less than the others. Flood is great! just different! (well, they all are from one another, though, as well...) anyway...responses? questions? comments? thanks for reading! Fran, AKA the Vonnegut Vassal @ | _ / | \ _ ( | ) ) ) | ( ( ( ~ ) - V - ~-~ | Fran, the 'cellist ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 17:30:47 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Vinyl mysteries On the subject of scratched-in messages on vinyl records, here is what the discography has to say: They Might Be Giants . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . album 1986 One: (Johnny Call Home (718) 387-6962) Two: (25 hours a day 6 days a week (718) 387-6962) Don't Let's Start . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . single 1987 Side 1: (No Escape. 718 387 6962) Side 2: (She Was a) Hotel Detective . . . . . . . . . . . . . . single 1987 This Side: (Motel Directive Wigue Wigue Wishnick) Other Side: (It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid) Lincoln . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . album 1988 Side A: (I don't want the world) Side B: (I just want your half) Istanbul (Not Constantinople) . . . . . . . . . . . . . single 1990 Their Side: (YEAH...RIGHT!!) Our Side: Anyone seen any others? +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:40:07 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Re: arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhh On Sun, 24 Mar 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com made a startling observation...: > the answer to the Flood tape conspiracy? People who know us but can't stand > TMBG? Definately a possibility...I know quite a few people who "accidently" drop my TMBG cd's when they step into my car and immediatly remove them...It's us against the world I tell you. We should unite, form our own political party, and take over the universe, if Ross Perot can get as far as he did, surely we can win!!! -Joyce "MY room is comfortably small with rubber on the walls...I'm insane" -TmBg *If you didn't know that, are you sure you are reading the right mail...* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 14:44:57 -0800 (PST) From: Melissa Bageant About this Flood curse... Well, actually its not about that really, but I was just wondering if anybody else's Lincoln CD's inside jacket was upside down. Mine is. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 14:46:29 -0800 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: BOZO FILE: Re: One thing. (Fwd) At 03:29 PM 3/25/96 -0600, you wrote: >Latest addition to the Bozo File! The name and e-mail address of the sender >has been removed to protect the guilty. This message is regarding the >status of TMBG on the charts. > >>Well for one thing they suck and probably never have and never will make it >>above #1000 on the charts. Why do all of you people waste you lives >>listening to their crappy music. You should listen to some good music. I >>know all you losers like at least one good band. >>Eddie >> >>"Our little group has always been and always will until the end"-Kurt >>Cobain, Smells Like Teen Spirit >> > >Ahh, the lyrical genius of Nirvana. No wonder he frowns on our lowly >musical interests! I guess he told *us*. :-) Uh, yeah. Like Nirvana's last song release while Kurt was above room tempature, "I hate myself and want to die." Jon, maybe you should forward all of the responses from this BOZO FILE to the original sender......with our e-mail addresses cut out. Maybe the little crackhead will shut his virtual AOL trap about other bands. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com My rules of life: Drive a Jeep, Think clearly often, Don't put Spam in your Chicken Gumbo, and most important Listen to They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 14:46:23 -0800 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: Conservative Call At 12:06 AM 3/25/96 -0500, you wrote: >I just found this list the other day and was planning on waiting a while to >get the jist of things before I wrote but this political roll call intrigues >me. I have been a TMBG fan for a little a while (Flood was the first tape I >ever bought and Apollo 18 was the first CD). I mention this just to >establish my referances. Anywho, since it has been my experience that most >fans are relatively young and few young people are conservatives I am >interested to know how these groups cross over. I am a conservative, but not >a closet one. I read Rush Limbaugh's first book and half of his second one. > However, Dole, not Buchanon, is my man for president. I believe Buchanon is >too extreme. Okay, I'll come clean, too. I'm very conservative, but I don't consider myself a Republican. The Libertarian party is looking very appealing to me. I, too, read Limbaugh's books, and listen to his radio show. I despise Buchanan because I believe that he, unlike Ross Perot, has the brains to really screw this country up good. Being a semi-devout Catholic, I do agree with Buchanan's abortion position, but disagree with most everything else he says. >As for the subject of radio airplay the only TMBG song I have ever heard on >the radio is "Birdhouse in your Soul". I have heard it both on a Prescott >station (I live in Arizona) and on the university station here at A.S.U. > Where ever I hear it, it is always missing the "I'm your only friend..." >intro. I've heard Birdhouse, Snail Shell, Ana Ng, Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head, and Don't Let's Start. I heard all of those on an *Alternative* Station........but they only get played because the Program Director is a closet fan. I talked to him on the phone one night, and requested Istanbul, but he didn't have it, so he played Snail Shell. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com My rules of life: Drive a Jeep, Think clearly often, Don't put Spam in your Chicken Gumbo, and most important Listen to They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:57:07 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Re: tmbg on radio On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > is knowing that you've found something wonderful that most other people > are either unwilling or unable to acknowledge as brilliant. I think a > lot of the time when new creative ground is broken there will always be a > contingent of the population who will recognise this and their lives will > be changed, whereas most people will ignore it. This is why I have > posited many times that many years from now TMBG will be revered as > geniuses when their back catalogues are discovered by future > civilisations. No doubt the numerous radio waves flying through space > into the universe beyond which contain TMBG material have become > favourites of the alien civilisations which cruise the cosmos listening > to and watching us. This I believe wholeheartedly. > > Mike. Thank you for putting into words what I am sure so many of us feel...I agree completely and only wish I had more people around me who understood these feelings... LIke I said early...let's unite and take over the universe, since we obviously understand something other people don't... -Joyce, who is just in one of those take over the universe kinds of moods, and also longs for the company of those who share her love of TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:07:18 -0800 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: Anarch At 05:08 PM 3/25/96 -0500, you wrote: >In a message dated 96-03-25 00:44:22 EST, you write: >As for the self labeling issue, I currently find myself leaning toward >Democratic point of views. I find it quite sad that our capital is overun >with Republicans (who have been giving money to the rich since 1791) simply >on the basis of people's moral beliefs, regardless of whether they are going >to do something about that particular issue (you know what I'm talking about, >but I don't feel the need to discuss that here). It seems that the Catholic >Church (I can say this 'cause I'm a member) votes based on that one issue and >really doesn't seem to care that the Republicans do in the poor and the >working class (the MAJORITY of our country). if you want to debate whether >Republicans actually do favor the rich, first take a look at ninth grade U.S >History 1 and and look what it says under Alexander Hamilton's (the leader of >the Federalist party which became the Whig, which became the Republican >Party) beliefs then you'll see what you (I'm talking to the "conservatives") >are voting for, and ruining my future with, but if you are a part of the rich >minority go ahead. But you, my friend, are misguided. Do you know what five trillion dollars looks like? Can you comprehend five trillion dollars? That's what both the Republicans and Democrats have spent more than they've brought in since the Great Depression. All of the taxes east of the Mississippi go to pay the INTREST on that money. The Federal Government is one of the worst examples of management, ever. I'm for throwing them all out, and getting rid of most of the federal government. Did the framers of the Constitution envision a benevolent Big Brother government? No, they detested it, loathed it with their whole being. The federal Government's role is to regulate interstate commerce, and provide for the common defense. That's it. The general welfare is last in priority. You can't give away money you don't have, and that's what's happening. About you comment on the rich.... According to the IRS, 1% of Americans paid 20% of the income taxes last year. I call that redistribution of wealth. Socialism, pure and simple. It nauseates me. I'm not rich, nor is my family (far from it), but I disagree with the Democratic Party's policy of wealth distribution. Socialism didn't work in Eastern Europe...It won't work here. It has been proven....lest I forget...five TRILLION DOLLARS in debt. Abortion... I'm totally pro-life. As I said before, I'm a semi-devout Catholic. I could not vote for a Democrat, because there are factions of the Democratic Party who measure their success in the number of Abortions that are performed each year...the Feminazis. I disagree with the Republicans on the death penalty, also, and couldn't vote for someone who advocated the uncontrolled use of it. Republicans to "do in" the working class.... Why on earth would you say something as foolish and irresponsible as this? What benefit do they gain from "doing in" the working class? Votes...No, The Congress...No, The White House...No, need I say more? Your (and my) Future.... If you feel that the government must control your future, I suggest you go live in a country where the government does, in fact, control your future. You are an individual, capable of success within the law. Here's an interesting fact, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY INCOME TAX! All you have to do is get rid of your Social Security number. If you don't work for the Federal Government, nothing stops you from doing this. You can't be barred from anything for not having a Social Security number. I will rely on the Government to provide for my college education, but I fully intend to pay that loan back with my service in the United States Air Force. I'm fufilling the need for national defense, one thing specifically mentioned in the Constitution. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com My rules of life: Drive a Jeep, Think clearly often, Don't put Spam in your Chicken Gumbo, and most important Listen to They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: your mail Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 18:22:05 18000 > > About this Flood curse... > Well, actually its not about that really, but I was just wondering > if anybody else's Lincoln CD's inside jacket was upside down. Mine is. > > Well, no, but how about this: Does anyone else's Lincoln inside jacket have the words to songs 14-18 printed before songs 10-13? It looks like this on mine: 1 5 14 10 2 6 15 11 3 7 16 12 4 8 17 13 9 18 Anyone else? -- ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 18:34:11 -0500 Subject: I'm back! Hey, remember me? I'm so glad to be back, I forgot my password on St. Pattys day. Here's to make up for old, forgotten mail: Fave John: Linnell, because I sort of look like him, play keyboards, and he has the cooler voice. Fave Album: I like them all, but Apollo 18 sticks out, because it introduced me to TMBG, and it has the most catchy tunes. Fave song: Hall of Heads. Like the bari sax, the intro with the bass guitar & violins. Flood: My flood CD is fine, but it does sometimes tempt my sister to go up to my room and take it to listen to Istanbul and Particle Man over and over again. I decided not to tell you some of the liked things of mine because I'm making 2 messages, March 17-22, & March 23-25. People in my city/town ( pop. 17000 ) who like TMBG: Me, my sister, my parents, my GATE teacher & her family, and my friend Andy. I made a book cover for my World Geography book. I wrote in big bubble letters "They Might Be Giants" and in smaller writing put the names of every song by them I have and a few others. ( I can't find Back to Skull ) It's cool, except for when I have to explain to people what TMBG is. About Weird Al: I used to be a big big BIG fan of his. I still have 8 of his CDs. I used to sing along with all of them. My Friend told me that TMBG sounded like Weird Al once. ( Don't flame me, he said it. ) Well, I haven't had the "privelege" to hear Al's new album yet, but I say he could easily sound likt TMBG if he wanted to. Go figure. If you start to feel unhappy with the list, just go away for 8 days and you'll miss it. Trust me. End roll 1 of 2, JaN+sChMAn's return ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Anarch Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 18:44:33 18000 Frankly, all this POLITICAL DISCUSSION would best belong on a -different- mailing group. Sigh. It's really getting on my nerves. Maybe you two should meet on IRC some time and have an in-depth political argument. Just kind of keep it out of the TMBG stuff, please? hey, here's an idea: keep your ideas between the two of you, instead of trying to force them on us all by posting them in a public mailing group. The "reply" command would send it back to the original sender, you know. -- ------------------------------ From: BenRayJ@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 18:52:16 -0500 Subject: Philosophy, Anarchy, and Prose Generally I do not like to talk about philosophy because it gives me a headache this < > big. But since you (farside) asked so nicely: 1) The discussion about stereotyping was in response to tanis@wpi.edu claim that by identifing one with a certain group you thereby steal them of their individualiy. (Note: creatively paraphrased to enhance my own arguement) He brought up the term. I will conceed however that at the time of writing that message I spaced a little and might have drifted a little of the topic. 2) The idea of identity is central to most western culture and since I am a westerner I can not help but follow that predescribed doctrine that has been bred into me since I was a youngster. The question "Who am I?" is second only to "Is there a god?" to most people. As I tried to point out in my last letter (if that is what you call these things) everyone belongs to some group whether they want to or not. The most obvious is the family, followed by friends, the neighborhood, job, school, clubs, fans, computer owners, internet users, church-goers...etc. (sorry for the bad phrasing) By the way, I have always hated that John Lennon song (I am probably the only one) 3) Prose actually means longform writing (for example, this letter) which makes more sense for the quote when you think about it. I first realized this a couple weeks ago after hearing the song for something close to the hundredth time and I went "Wow!" It has since become my favorite TMBG quote. Ben Jacobson "How sleepless is the egg knowing that which throws the stone forsees the bone" - Cowtown ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 18:55:31 +0000 Subject: Anarch and Radio Tunes I must say that when I first made my response in regards to the call for conservatives, I never expected this kind of outpouring of logical analysis and rhetoric from all sides. I normally would oppose to something to this effect on the mailing list, but I think this really does some good. Number one, the fact that people are able to come up with logical arguments and state them in a manner that is (usually) not intended to be a specific attack at one person or another. I hate it when people in the middle of debates refer to ad hominum(sp) arguing (e.g. you suck, no you suck, bite me... etc etc.). Anyways,these arguments have shown both that most of the people out there (if not all of them) are intelligent individuals with established beliefs, and are confident enough in themselves to share them. I must applaud all of those people who have contributed to the debate, and also to those who read these without automatically deleting them after the first line. Besides, most people have made some linkage with TMBG somewhere in there argument. I think that even the John's themselves would be proud to see this kind of earnest debate going on among their fandom (even though they might not agree with all the arguments). I am glad that this has taken place because after taking three years of debate in high school, the tech school I'm at was starting to blunt my political awareness. Thank You all. On the radio issue, the only TMBG song that I ever remember hearing over the radio was 'Destination Moon' which made it to number one as a request at a local college station, but only for one week. Still, I thought it was pretty cool that a TMBG aong could make it to number one. Wilbz, the long haired freakish anarch who likes to debate __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/ | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 19:01:53 -0500 Subject: The rest of my mail I got through the mail. Gee, the first part was more interesting. So, I guess I'll leave. JaN+sChMAn Rock on!! ------------------------------ From: Bejezus@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 19:34:30 -0500 Subject: Re: Dance Hall Crashers In a message dated 96-03-24 01:39:17 EST, you write: >Hi folks, >This isn't really TMBG related but I thought you might all like it. >I was over my friend, Brad's dorm who is a huge Giants fan and he >lent me this CD by the Dance Hall Crashers called Lockjaw hat he said >I would like. Well I think it is just fabulous! It's actually more of >a Velocity Girl sounding album but it's also cool and fun like TMBG. >Just wanted to recommend a cool band! >Matt They opened up for the MIghty Mighty Bosstones here. I didn't get to go (I thought it was the next Sunday, Doh!) but I heard that they were good. Latro, Brother JohnBejezus ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 19:37:50 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Shuffle Off to Apollo Ben or Been back . . . yes, . . . HE'S BAAAAACK!!! (OK, drop the ego) I got _Apollo 18_ on CD over break, only I was kinda disappointed about the shuffle feature on my CD. The shuffling is not accurate--some of the songs have a fraction of a second chopped off of the beginning, which does not make for smooth shuffle-listening. I was wondering whether anyone else experiences this on his/her CD. I don't know if it's my CD's defect, or if it's a mass thing. My Matthew Sweet _Girlfriend_ CD does the same thing. Hope to hear from you soon! Ben or Been *********** Ben's Dial-A-Song is back in business!!! (614) 823-BLUE Current feature: Ween's hilarious "I Got's a Weasel" Chant along with it. Ben's Dial-A-Song also features a new opening bumper! The background sound is a track from the album _Barry Black_ featuring Ben Folds of Ben Folds Five Ben's Dial-A-Song is an equal-opportunity employer. However, Ben's Dial-A-Song has yet to hire anyone. Ben's Dial-A-Song is only a regular call to Columbus, Ohio. That means it's free when you call from your friend's house when she's not home. Out. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 21:24:16 -0500 (EST) From: Paul Sebold Subject: In response to the conservative thing, and all about the garden , weasel. Ok, here is my response to the first of my responses on the conservative/tmbg fans thing.. "Willy Nunn "wrote: > us. As an Anarch, I spend a lot of time analyzing the political and > social aspects of our society, and have come up with the following > conclusions: There is no such thing as liberal or conservative. To ahhh! but there is! Not everyone fits this category, and no one should be defined by that label only.. however, liberal and conservative (and moderate) can describe a person as least as well as the adjectives "tall" or "short" or "religious" or "athiest" > label oneself as liberal or conservative is to stempt to associate > one's self with a stereotype which in no way completely fits any one > individual. It should be evident by our difference in taste that was > recently evidenced by our posting of likes and dislikes that we are > all individuals and hence all different. As TMBG listeners we all > share a common ground, but we are all still INDIVIDUALS. Labeling Ah, if you believe that I don't champion the INDIVIDUAL you should have paid more attention to the quote in my signature, from Ayn Rand. I know it isn't very original to take someone's words, but a quote's a quote. > amount of offense to someone call me a liberal as someone calling me > a conservative, because both mean that the person assumes that I fit > some specific mold of political beliefs, well I don't, and neither do > any of you.... end spew... the labels assume no more to me than a general roundup, and by no means reveal the details or quality of a person. BenRayJ@aol.com wrote: > fans are relatively young and few young people are conservatives I am > interested to know how these groups cross over. I am a conservative, but not > a closet one. I read Rush Limbaugh's first book and half of his second one. > However, Dole, not Buchanon, is my man for president. I believe Buchanon is > too extreme. AS a young conservative, I tend to think that your first statement is a little off. There are a fair amount of conservative young people (not a majority by any means) but the main cause of that I think is the many kids that haven't thought long enough to develope an opinion, and just accept that of their friends, TV, and stereo for the time being. Think for yourself people, regardles of what conclusion you come to, think for yourself. O ya, even though I am conservative, I find Rush to be pompous, and Dole to be squishy. Yes, I said "squishy". > First, let me say that I have a good friend who is an anarchist and you have > every right to your opinion. Now, let me preceed to rip your opinion to that's almost like saying "my best friend is black and you have every right to be" It's kinda an uneeded concesion. > shreds. While stereo-typing has become one of those no-no P.C. words it is > not something that can or should be avoided. It is true that few people fit > into predescribed boxes of labels such as liberal or conservative. I, in > fact, do not believe in every conservative ideal out there. However, if no well put, BenJ Kasey Hicks wrote: > Just as a historical tidbit, I remember John and John urging their audience > to go out and vote in the '92 election when I saw Them at a free concert at > Union Square in San Francisco that year. They didn't name any names, but > they said something to the effect of "let's throw those bastards out!" well, there are a bunch of bastards in there... and in 92 most were Democrats. However, I doubt the Johns meant congress... I mean, they ARE in the music biz.. > Just to deflect the accusation of being non-committal, I will go out on a > limb with respect to my own position and say that I find Newt Gingrich sort > of endearing in an odd, chubby, red-nosed, wrongheaded, Republican, scary > kind of way. wow.. that's almost the same way I like James Carvile! Only, without the chubby and Republican adjectives. Replace them with "bald" and "crafty". But then again... I like Elsworth Toohey in a way, and Jabba the Hut isn't THAT bad. -I gotta find Bubba! Paul ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ + -I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone's right + + to one minute of my life ~Ayn Rand~ + + psebold@husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us Paul Sebold + + http://husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us/~psebold/extra.html + ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 22:23:36 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Hmmmmmm Hey, all!! Yes, this is probably an unnecessary beef, but I must say it.... WHAT'S WITH THE POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS????????? Yes, it's great we all have strong beliefs and opinions, and can express our thoughts rationally, but this is a music discussion group, and I've learned from my own mistakes that other topics are best left alone, or forwarded to just the one person that you wanna answer........ Just my 2 cents...... Oh, just so that there's some They content..... I'm wondering..... which do ya'll like better; Mono Puff or State Songs? Let me know!!! Love and peace to everyone, 'Nette..... no political opinions, and no desire to discuss it. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 23:47:58 -0500 From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: mighty mighty bosstones and TMBG i know many of you like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, but i have a personal grudge against them and since it also deals with TMBG, i thought i would share it. at my college (Drexel, anyone know of it?) TMBG were supposed to play at the summer jam last year. i was all happy and i had plans about where to stay (i commute) and tickets. well, TMBG canceled because they were tired or sick or something and Mighty Mighty Bosstones were picked to play in their place. now, i liked the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, but that was a cruel blow. jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter _______________________________________________________________________ http://www.voicenet.com/~jenns/ "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -- Calvin and Hobbes ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Anarch Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 21:17:56 -0800 (PST) Listen... I think some of the things you both write are very interesting, but I and some others wish you would keep it to a mailbox-to-mailbox converstion, and not Xsend it to us at TMBG-LIST. Please. I am not upset, I just wish it would end here. a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Shuffle Off to Apollo Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 21:21:38 -0800 (PST) > I got _Apollo 18_ on CD over break, only I was kinda disappointed about > the shuffle feature on my CD. WOW! You just got it? Dang, After hearing it (it was my first album) I could help myself but to finish the collection of TMBGCDs. > I was wondering whether anyone else experiences this on his/her CD. I > don't know if it's my CD's defect, or if it's a mass thing. Beats me. Mine works perfect. Did you ever think it to be your CD player? I mean, I have seen some that stupidly add 3 secs of slience to a track to break up the tracks... This could do the opposite? I don't know... a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: DLS Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 02:03:28 -0500 (EST) Probably one of the weirdest TMBG radio incidents I had happened when I had just gotten the Don't Let's Start single on tape and I played it and then once it got done, Don't Let's Start began playing on WHFS! It was so very odd! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 00:13:34 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: RE: Red Dwarf You said this: >Subject: "it's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere..." > >> Would someone mind telling me who Red Dwarf is? Please? > >Red Dwarf is this smeggin' awesome tv show from britain >about a mining ship that is stuck in space. the characters include one >human named Lister, a being that evolved from Lister's cat over millions >of years (Lister was put in stasis just before some sort of chemical >accident occured on the ship that killed off the entire staff), an >annoying hologram named Rimmer and the ship's computer, Holly. it's a hoot. >it's kind of an acquired taste...my friends think it's terribly stupid, >but i love it. YOU FORGOT KRYTEN!!!!!!!!!! Kryten is the robot that they found on the ship, and he's quite funny. :) P.S. Six more days until the list that can be voted on for the official list of similarities among TMBG people comes out, so if you want to contribute, if you already haven't, you have until the 31st. Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Dance Hall Crashers Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 02:29:30 -0500 (EST) > > In a message dated 96-03-24 01:39:17 EST, you write: > > >Hi folks, > >This isn't really TMBG related but I thought you might all like it. > >I was over my friend, Brad's dorm who is a huge Giants fan and he > >lent me this CD by the Dance Hall Crashers called Lockjaw hat he said > >I would like. Well I think it is just fabulous! It's actually more of > >a Velocity Girl sounding album but it's also cool and fun like TMBG. > >Just wanted to recommend a cool band! > >Matt > > They opened up for the MIghty Mighty Bosstones here. I didn't get to go (I > thought it was the next Sunday, Doh!) but I heard that they were good. > Latro, > Brother JohnBejezus > I wouldn't normally post this to the list but there seems to be a lot of enthusiams about these guys so if anyone wants to know, The DHC are playing at the Capital Ballroom in the District of Columbia next month (April). I should be there! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 01:30:42 -0600 (CST) From: mr_me Subject: Re: your mail On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > > > > About this Flood curse... > > Well, actually its not about that really, but I was just wondering > > if anybody else's Lincoln CD's inside jacket was upside down. Mine is. > > > > > > > Well, no, but how about this: Does anyone else's Lincoln > inside jacket have the words to songs 14-18 printed before songs 10-13? > > It looks like this on mine: > > 1 5 14 10 > 2 6 15 11 > 3 7 16 12 > 4 8 17 13 > 9 18 > > > Anyone else? > > -- > mine looks exactly like that. just wanted to share this with the world. -john ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 02:59:36 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Lincoln lyrics In the Fall 1994 newsletter, the question is asked: "Why are the songs out of order on the Lincoln lyric sheet?" Flans' response is: "I put it together in odd moments in my old job, and I wasn't paying enough attention." My Apollo 18 CD plays normally in shuffle mode, I guess any problem anybody might have stems from the CD player itself. I wonder why on John Henry the lyrics for AKA Driver were left out. There really wasn't any reason for this, except for the inclusion of the word Nyquil in the song. Oh well. And of course we've all seen the extra lyrics for the song Road Movie To Berlin on Flood; they actually sing them on the Dial-A-Song version, in case you didn't know. Now closer to being ready, a cool web site for people who think more is more and better is better, and who want something new right now! It is coming soon. Mike. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-86 *****************************