Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-88 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 88 Thursday, 28 March 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-87 Knoxville Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-87 They Might Be Crimson? Digested Boba Mail Top 10 None NJ Concerts Re: Knoxville Re: otann More Pixies asides Power of Dial-a-Song RE: Anarch That Crazy Power of Dial-A-Song Tape tmbg radio Re: None Buying tickets... Re: Digested Boba Mail TMBG RARITIES courtesy phil and ~-=the plaguerat=-~ Concert Dates TMBG Tours you called??? Re: your mail Re: snow Re: TMBG Tours Subliminal BRB New Album Re: TMBG Tours Re: TMBG Tours Re: new songs RE: Vinyl mysteries Re: hi y'all RE: FW: Re: TMBG Rareties Re: Subliminal Re: New Album RE: Vinyl mysteries Indianapolis concert shows... Re: shows... Re: shows... whyo is opening? Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 08:44:24 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-87 *me clearing my throat* Alright, I'm outraged! Well, okay, maybe just a little disappointed, but you get the idea. To whoever insulted Alanis Morissette fans/mailing lists, I'll have to say that you don't have a clue, buddy. I am on the 'nails' Alanis list, and the people there are very respectable, and extremely cool. I could think of many ways in which people could insult the tmbg fans on this list, and probably not all of them invalid. On the alanis list, people tend to be very decent, talking about their musical passion, no less than we here talk about TmBg. Alanis herself is an amazing artist, and yes, she might attract some 'freaks' or whatever, but not primarily. She is a beautiful person, has a beautiful voice, and would rule the universe if John & John had not beaten her to it *grin*:) Anyway, I just had to get that off my mind. I also like nirvana (i like a lot of music, although none as much or as passionately as TmBg), and I really don't think it is our place to be making outright insulting generalizations about fans of any band. There are some groups I don't like, but it is useless and insulting to their fans to attack them. Anyway, on a J&J front. There is an add for the Hello 1996 music club in a recent SPIN mag. (the one with the red hot chilli peppers on the cover). One of the things members get is a full length Mono Puff album!! This, I assume, is the very same one that will be available at stores, but Hello ppl get it free! Some other highlights of the new year include: Gordon Gano (of the violent femmes); soul coughing; will rigby (of the DB's); they might be giant's JOHN LINNELL!!; stephin of the magnetic fields.... FUN! (More State Songs Maybe??!!) :) :) Oh, is there a large Pixies contingent in the TmBg community? I have just gotten into the Pixies (I only have the one album DooLittle) and I love them to Death! Wow...I might even like them almost as much as our beloved Johns (but not quite). Bye Now! Nathan Todd (Linnel) *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu As my own individual and conscious mind: I control my destiny. I access my innermost thoughts and emotions. I manipulate the external world. In general I am the most powerful force in my existence. I AM GOD. *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 08:59:27 -0800 From: Adrian Subject: Knoxville So us fellow Knoxvegas They-followers should pitch in and buy plane tickets for J&J to get them down here...they probably have never even seen anything south of DC (cept maybe atlanta!). (To the person who said they played DC: I lived in baltimore for two years, and every time They came, conveniently, I was way out of town.) We could take Them to Dollywood and give Them inspiration for a new song. Not much to say today...gotta go start getting packed to go to California for a week, gotta have some fun SOME time.... adrian __________________________________ email: abarnes@conc.tdsnet.com "How about going back to sleep for a few minutes and forgetting all this nonsense" -Gregor Samsa __________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 09:22:43 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-87 > Oh, is there a large Pixies contingent in the TmBg community? > I have just gotten into the Pixies (I only have the one album DooLittle) and > I love them to Death! Wow...I might even like them almost as much as our > beloved Johns (but not quite). YES! YES! YES! If you're a fan of the Pixies, please. please, check out The Breeders!!! Kim Deal, the former bassist of the Pixies who fronts The Breeders, is a freakin' genius! Also, The Amps might be worth checking out, that also contains the mind-boggling antics of Kim Deal. ENJOY!!!! grd ------------------------------ From: "Matthew Seth Meyer" Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 00:14:00 -500 (EST) Subject: They Might Be Crimson? Does anyone else out there LOVE the meandering improvs the full band TMBG occasionally break into during their live shows? I would love to see them break into song-length jams. Linnell's keyboard improvisations are incredible! Also, does anyone think these jams are reminiscent of early King Crimson shows? the 69-74 lineups. Are there even any King Crimson fans out there? If not, your missing some AMAZING music. (Note: improvs aside, they don't sound much at all like TMBG) Just thought I'd ask, in an effort to find more common ground amongst list members. Love, mattman **************************************************************** CHILDREN OF THE SPORK Nate: guitars, vocals, harp, rock star B: bass, vocals, Pentium 100, sludge mattman: guitars, vocals, accordion, studio mayhem Viv: bassoon, keys, synthesis, weird pants Catch COS on tour! They may suck, but they have cool pants! **************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 10:16:51 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail Josh Younger wrote: >Can you get them at concerts? What can you get at concerts? You can get lot's of really cool things at TMBG concerts. Many cool shirts TMBG special blend coffee TMBG mouse Pads TMBG stickers(I got one free with a shirt purchase) Information on Hello Recording Club TMBG hats Other cool stuff I can't remember Craig: Thanks! Can you make out to Kristin like I asked? Not to be a broken record, but I for eight think that Anarchs or Lists of what I like or don't like are both kind of silly. I feel compelled to say that CJ Kucera's story was very creative. I enjoyed that very much. You can have my dog. Andrew Callaghan Scribed: >There was a TMBG Movie? Anyone in Australia know where I can get a copy???? The movie, They Might Be Giants, is not about Them, it's where They got Their name. The movie is about a guy who thinks that he is Sherlock Holmes. Emo in '96!! Can anyone say cheese? Corky & the PigJuice? What?!? Demented Boba Today, He's Out. <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, I was bent metal. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "BUT YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ME BECAUSE I HAVE A SPECIAL JOB" "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 10:44:40 -0500 (EST) From: Carson Herrick Subject: Top 10 I've made a Top 10 list. Pretty original, huh? I was just thinking about how deep and philosophical some of THEIR lyrics are...so direct from the home office somewhere to the south and a bit farther left, here's: TOP 10 LIST OF THE DEEPEST, MOST PHILOSOPHICAL THINGS HEARD IN THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS' MUSIC: The runners-up (in no particular order): "Wake up and smell the cat food in your bank account." "Please pass the milk, please." "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age." "They say love is blind. I don't think you're blind." "Flowers die and so will I." ...now, on to the countdown... 10) "Piece of dirt - that is all I'm standing on today." 9) "Thirty-two new moons shining in thirty-two skys." 8) "Why must I be sad." 7) "Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads." 6) "Speak softly - drive a Sherman tank." 5) "I palindrome I." 4) "D'you see any sense to that?" 3) "I don't want the world, I just want your half." 2) "People should get beat up for stating their beliefs." And the number one deepest, most philisophical thing heard in They Might Be Giants' Music: 1) "MINIMUM WAAAAAGE! HEEEYAH!" +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Carson Herrick (I think we've seen enough quotes for one day) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 96 11:00:06 -0500 From: etramontant@crest.srhs.k12.nj.us (etramontant) Organization: SRHSD Subject: None howdy. I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this has been asked before, but in "Snowball" Flans sings something that sounds like 'my fantasy is in a Xerox shop.' Is this the 'copy shop clerk' from "Sleeping in the Flowers," or am I having aural hallucinations? My favorite John is Linnel, cause I dig the bari sax. -Erik Tram -- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Sent via ExpressNet/SMTP(tm), Internet Gateway of the Gods! ExpressNet/SMTP (c)1994-95 Delphic Software, Inc. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:24:23 -0500 (EST) From: Craig Whyte Subject: NJ Concerts ok, I have to come to 'Nette's aid on this one. TMBG has done many concerts here, but I haven't seen any of them. But this fall I am starting a personal crusade to get TMBG on the Trenton State College campus to perform at Radiothon '97. The Rat would definitely rock if they were here. Craig (good DJ, bad singer) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:44:49 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Bird Subject: Re: Knoxville On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Adrian wrote: > So us fellow Knoxvegas They-followers should pitch in and buy plane > tickets for J&J to get them down here...they probably have never even > seen anything south of DC (cept maybe atlanta!). (To the person who > said they played DC: I lived in baltimore for two years, and every time > They came, conveniently, I was way out of town.) We could take Them to > Dollywood and give Them inspiration for a new song. > They have played Nashville at least a couple of times that I know of, unfortunately I was never able to get to any of those shows. Memphis too, I think. I did see Them in Louisville once, however. I agree that Knoxville would be a perfect place for them to play, especially since They seem to like college campuses these days. I'd hesitate to take Them to Dollywood though...it might be a little bit too scary. :) Bob -- Robert Bird "Mammal, mammal...Their names are called, rbird@utk.edu they raise a paw: the bat, the cat... University of Tennessee dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog..." http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 09:22:19 -0800 Subject: Re: otann Matthew James , gullible as he is, wrote: > >Well I'm finally getting the O'Tannenbaum record since I talked to >my friend in England and she said that the record won't play on British >record players. This has got to be the funniest thing I've read in days! "won't play on British record players"! Hahahaha! There is NO difference between British and American record players. All vinyl records play on either with no problem. The same cannot be said for VHS video tapes, unfortunately. > I can't remember, is the b-side to that called >Christmas Cards? Or was it something else? Check the Unofficial TMBG web page, look in the discography: O Tannenbaum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . single 1993 Dec Sleeve has drawing of John & John with a X-mas tree, and back has ornaments with other musicians names in them. Translucent green vinyl. 7": 93.12 US Elektra 7-64578 O Tannenbaum Christmas Cards So there you have it. -- John P.S. Thanks for taking the politics discussion off the TMBG list. -- * Improve your Web page! Use HEIGHT and WIDTH attributes with all images! * They will load faster! e.g.: * A message from the Council to Propagate Height and Width Usage (CPHWU) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 96 09:47:36 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: More Pixies asides Hi. I'm also new to the list. The Pixies were a 100% fabulous band, and as well as the Breeders, they also spawned Frank Black, formerly Black Francis, singer/screecher for the Pixies. His new album, The Cult of Ray, is excellent. And, check out his CD released by Hello Recording (also great). On the Subject of They, some friends of mine and I are flying to New York tonight (we live in California) and will be going to the shows tomorrow night at the Mercury Lounge. I'm so excited I'm practically incontinent - thanks to the people who posted the information about the new songs! SuzyB (Not Paula) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 13:30:33 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Power of Dial-a-Song Somebody in the last digest asked about how he could get a copy of the Power of DAS tape, which was funny because I was about to ask the exact same question. If someone could tell me how I can get a copy of it, that'd be great. Actually, that and any other non-commercially available stuff that's floating around out there. Thanks! --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: RE: Anarch Date: Wed, 27 Mar 96 12:10:00 P Could we stop sending flames over the list. I am not trying to sound offencive, but is just a bit of netiquette. I think I could speak for lots of people by saying that they don't enjoy listening to your flames, and political discussions. Thanks a zero. Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 12:14:49 -0800 (PST) From: Trompe Le Monde Subject: That Crazy Power of Dial-A-Song Tape Remember me? Once in awhile I actually used to post on this thing, but last term I let everything pile up in my mailbox and all but ignored every digest, every piece of mail, every everything. Well, last night I cleaned out everything, and noticed that I still have 3 copies of this Power of D-A-S tape left. As Craig was saying, the quality of these things really sucks, but it's still a chance to hear pieces of unreleased TMBG stuff and what they at least might have sounded like. And thanks again to the original compilers of this tape and the people that helped out on the project, who all have probably long since escaped from the list. Anyway, I have three tapes all recorded and ready to go. I would do more but I'm completely broke at this time, and it takes nearly $5 to buy a Type II 100 Minute tape and pay for postage. Ouch. If there's as much demand as there seemed to be last time I mentioned this, I may consider doing more when I have more money, but in the meantime, it's first come, first serve... BUT... there's a catch. I need _something_ in trade that will make it worth my while. It can be TMBG stuff, but I'm also open to other bands (one cool guy from Spain sent me a bunch of Pixies stuff)... just email me and we'll talk. One other quick question... what does it take for me to get hooked up with the video bootleg project? I'd love to see some of those videos. One more quick thing... I managed to find _the_ Video Compilation on laserdisc, if you can believe that. It was at Camelot (typical mall chain music store) if you can believe that. It was in the bargain bin marked down at least times, with a final price of $3.88 if you can believe that. I didn't hesitate in making that purchase. Too bad I don't have a laserdisc player... Kerry +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + // kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / murmur@teleport.com / kbiggs@efn.org // + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 14:23:04 -0600 (CST) From: Sleeping Beauty Subject: tmbg radio I keep on hearing about how little TMBG is played on the radio. Has anyone ever heard of the Point in St. Louis? You can hear They at least once every other day. They put on special concerts for the Point too. In the past two years, the Point has sponsored at least 20 concerts for They in St. Louis. Of course, lucky me, I haven't been able to go to one yet. :( TMBG are coming to St. Louis again in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if this is another tour? It seems as if They are only playing small clubs and colleges. Denise ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 15:44:39 -0500 Subject: Re: None In a message dated 96-03-27 11:08:38 EST, etramontant@crest.srhs.k12.nj.us (etramontant) writes: > >howdy. I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this has been asked before, but >in "Snowball" Flans sings something that sounds like 'my fantasy is in a >Xerox >shop.' Is this the 'copy shop clerk' from "Sleeping in the Flowers," or am >I having aural hallucinations? > Personally I think "Sleeping in the Flowers" should be renamed "the Continuing Adventures of a Snowball in Hell" or "Snowball in Hell 2 1/2", but that's just my opinion ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 13:34:20 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Buying tickets... Hey...I wonder if all us fans in the NM, CO, TX, AZ, ETC area could chip in to bring THEM here...I long to see THEM in concert, but the chances of me making it to where THEY perform are from 0 to null. SouthWestern fans UNITE... -Joyce "There's a place for those who love poetry, right across from the sign that says Pro's only" -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 13:25:28 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Re: Digested Boba Mail On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, BOBA FETT made the astonishing proclamation: > Josh Younger wrote: > > >Can you get them at concerts? What can you get at concerts? > > You can get lot's of really cool things at TMBG concerts. > > Many cool shirts > TMBG special blend coffee > TMBG mouse Pads > TMBG stickers(I got one free with a shirt purchase) > Information on Hello Recording Club > TMBG hats > Other cool stuff I can't remember > Okies, would someone willing to buy some of this stuff for me if I would pay them back, and pay postage and handling since THEY don't come close to NM? -Joyce "Do you sing like Olive Oil on purpose; you guys must be into the Eurythmics..." -TMBG:) ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 16:03:15 -0500 Subject: TMBG RARITIES courtesy phil and ~-=the plaguerat=-~ ok boys and girls.. you're probably sick of this whole thing already.. i know i am.. this tape has been playing for 6 straight days now.. but there's still copies to be made and we won't rest until everyone has one.. Stumpbox ; tmbg covers collected is a 90 minute casste featuring a whole load of fun little ditty's covered by none other than john and john..... so if you're interested drop me a line at plaguerat2@aol.com or phil at ; shimbot@aol.com and we'd be happy to copy you one providing you send a blank tape and sase.. and to answer the frequent question of whats on it... here goes.. intro / runaway / frankenstein / we are the world / smells like teen spirit / fire / what am i doing hanging 'round / wdtss (fast) / pal joey revival / lines upon a tranquil brow / dominique / wdtss (slow) / concrete and clay / horse with no name / the joker / in a gada da vida/ sunshine of your love / pictures of matchstick men.dream.see the constellation / 25 0' clock / honky cat / cherry pie / thriller / a fine day / maybe i know / forever / white rabbit / whirrlpool / bill cosby mystery theme / one more parade / happy birthday / half- breed / jessica / this land is our land / spy improv of you are my sunshine (somewhat demonic) / the lady is a tramp/ insane letters appreciated, trades welcome, first come, first serve, overnight taping, satisfaction gaurenteed....( if not satisfied stop by and we'll have lunch and discuss it or something) donations to the send matt to college fund accepted ~-=the plaguerat=-~ "stand outside the prison and cheer when the lights go dim" -toomuchjoy ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Concert Dates Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 16:59:47 -0500 (EST) The concert dates (on http://www.tmbg.com/) are now up in text format, rather then stuck in an image so everyone should be able to see them! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 16:17:21 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: TMBG Tours Are any of you going to the Champaign concert on April 2? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 18:04:55 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: you called??? > Are any of you going to the Champaign concert on April 2? YES!!!!! YIPEE!!! MY FIRST CONCERT!! I SHALL NO LONGER BE A TMBG VIRGIN! when i called home today, my little brother informed me that i had received (and i quote) "some sort of strange postcard from they might be giants" in the mail about a concert in indianapolis.....only problem: it's a 21 and over club....drats, foiled again. have a great day, guys :) stayin' alive, aims `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` "I don't fall in love, I just fall." -Paul Sebold EAT KRILL FOR A BETTER AMERICA aimee elisabeth pflieger http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 18:33:30 -0500 Subject: Re: your mail In a message Tom Hare wrote: > > Well, no, but how about this: Does anyone else's Lincoln >inside jacket have the words to songs 14-18 printed before songs 10-13? Yes, it says on the FAQs that one of the Johns printed them @ work & made a booboo. JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ From: Jon Mann Subject: Re: snow Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:48:22 +1030 (CST) In something-or-other (I hate emacs) Matt wrote: > Has anyone out there never seen snow? I couldn't imagine anyone in > the states hasn't except possibly if you live in Hawaii. > Matt > -- Hmm... well I'm in Australia and we got a _lot_ of snow down here. Will seeing it change my life? --Jon ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 18:24:54 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: TMBG Tours Josh Younger wrote: > > Are any of you going to the Champaign concert on April 2? Yes...I have tix already...and I might get backstage passes!!!!!! -- Mike Schaefer http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and the Mono Puff CD...a more complete collection to follow. :) ------------------------------ From: Bejezus@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 19:34:39 -0500 Subject: Subliminal In a message dated 96-03-26 12:47:45 EST, you write: >If I'm not mistaken, Subliminal is actually 4 different Linnells singing, >and not both Johns together. At least I'm assuming you're referring to >the album version. I have yet to see or hear it live (why won't they >come to Tennessee, @#$% it!!!). I thought I heard a Flansburgh in the end part. ------------------------------ From: Bejezus@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 19:34:38 -0500 Subject: BRB I might have to leave the list for about a month so I wanted to say goodbye right now. See ya'll soon, Brother JohnBejezus ------------------------------ From: Bejezus@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 19:34:36 -0500 Subject: New Album This boy at my school said that he heard They were releasing a new album soon. Of course I don't see where he got this info from do to the fact that if there had been any mention of a new album we wouldn't be talking about politics. Latro, Brother JohnBejezus ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 18:57:00 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Re: TMBG Tours > Are any of you going to the Champaign concert on April 2? Indeed I am. The Johns have also accepted an invitation for a pizza party at my place afterwards. ...and...has anyone heard of the Swales, who shall be warming up the stage for TMBG? bye, priest=aura ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 19:26:05 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: TMBG Tours Mike Schaefer wrote: > > Josh Younger wrote: > > > > Are any of you going to the Champaign concert on April 2? > > Yes...I have tix already...and I might get backstage passes!!!!!! > -- In the 30 minutes after I posted this, I got 5 requests for backstage passes for other people... I'm getting these passes (if I get them) from a friend who knows someone...and the four passes are already spoken for. I don't mean to depress any of you...I just posted that to share my good fortune with the rest of you. :) Mike ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 19:36:12 -0600 (CST) From: mr_me Subject: Re: new songs On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Could somebody list all of the new songs they have been playing > this year? I'm curious as to how many new ones they have made. > I wonder when the new album will be out (is this still rumor or > definite?) > I think I may rent the TMBG movie this weekend if I have time as I > have yet to see this 1970s movie. > Has anyone out there never seen snow? I couldn't imagine anyone in > the states hasn't except possibly if you live in Hawaii. > Matt > -- well, i live in central texas and i've only seen snow twice. once when i visited missouri, and once when by some freak of nature it snowed in san antonio. i was told it wasn't real snow anyways, they said it was just a bunch of slush. does that count? :) -john ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 19:39:10 -0600 (CST) From: mr_me Subject: RE: Vinyl mysteries On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > > > > > where do you buy all of these things on vinyl? I want to get some of > > TMBG's stuff on vinyl. That would be awesome > > Another fan of vinyl...good...very good! I usually find all my vinyl > either at used record stores (which there are a lot of in downtown > Toronto) or at garage sales. However, if that doesn't work for you, you > can always try ordering Their records from the TMBG catalogue. Hope I've > helped. > > Alex > so how do you get one of these catalogues? i NEED one, now. -john ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 19:39:48 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: Re: hi y'all >today (right now it's about 4:15am and i've just finished note cards. not >even actual paper yet). So, how did the paper end up. What did ya get? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 96 21:34:49 PST From: asturm Subject: RE: FW: Re: TMBG Rareties This is for Inte galactus he wrote me but it got forwarded to me so I lost the address. Hope you find this. And this is for anyone else who wants a They Rareity tape. der you go... > send a blank tape and sase * > (sase does not mean a dollar, it means an envelope with sufficient postage.. > or jus aneough stamps to post on the envelope you sent me to get it back to > you) > some people dont understand that... > to; > > matt flood > 2212 elm street > stratford, ct 06497 RYaN ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 22:19:19 -0500 Subject: Re: Subliminal In a message dated 96-03-27 19:41:39 EST, you write: > >>If I'm not mistaken, Subliminal is actually 4 different Linnells singing, >>and not both Johns together. At least I'm assuming you're referring to >>the album version. I have yet to see or hear it live (why won't they >>come to Tennessee, @#$% it!!!). > >I thought I heard a Flansburgh in the end part. > But the end part is the part before that reversed ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 22:19:25 -0500 Subject: Re: New Album In a message dated 96-03-27 19:45:06 EST, you write: > > This boy at my school said that he heard They were releasing a new album >soon. Of course I don't see where he got this info from do to the fact that >if there had been any mention of a new album we wouldn't be talking about >politics. Hmmm... my theory is Late Fall/Early Winter on the Album deal, unless by some odd chance it gets delayed till 1997, if it doesn't however, I wouldn't expect the album after that until Early '99 just because they just get pushed further up in the years... and then he realizes he's no longer making sense even to himself... if love is blind and seeing is believing, how can I believe you? -me ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 22:34:58 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: RE: Vinyl mysteries On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, mr_me wrote: > so how do you get one of these catalogues? i NEED one, now. > -john The catalogue (of many women men, the window...) is actually part of a news letter that TMBG send out to their fans, if you happen to be on a mailing list...although that doesn't seem to be doing much since the last newsletter I received was Fall '94...groan!! Anyway, if you want to get on the mailing list, send an S.A.S.E to the following address: TMBG Information Club Post Office Box 110535 Williamsburgh Station Brooklyn, NY 11211 U.S.A I make no promises about the effectiveness of doing this, for like I said, I've been waiting a year and a half for a new issue. What was the latest one any of you have received?? I hope I've helped, but before I go, let me leave you with the last words of my grandfather, who said "A TRUCK!!!" (I just couldn't help slipping in some Emo Philips in there) Alex ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 22:38:52 -0500 (EST) From: David Knox Subject: Indianapolis concert Does anybody out there know of this April 1 concert? If I remember correctly, it was supposed to be in Indianapolis- i need someone to tell me what time it is, how much the tickets are, the ticket office phone #, and any other relevant info. As an added bonus, if someone could tell me something about the upcoming concert in (Urbana or Champlain Ill. (I'm not sure which)), I would also be eternally grateful. please e-mail me privately at kdavid@dax.cc.uakron.edu no need to fill up any further the allready bogged down list. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 23:15:33 -0800 (EST) From: Sarah Rickter Subject: shows... Hello everyone! I had an idea (for a change) about how we can identify each other at shows. I think we should all wear blue ribbons to shows. The ribbon shows our support for "The Blue Ribbon Campaign" which most of you have probably heard of. The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) and other civil liberties groups ask that a blue ribbon be worn or displayed to show support for the essential human right of free speech (I got that off their page). What do you all think? Is this a stupid idea? If you're Nola, you'll skip the ribbon and go straight for the neon sign. But that's why we love her! Have a good day! Sarah ------------------------------ Subject: Re: shows... Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 23:12:53 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts Warning: this is a long(er) message... In the immortal words of Sarah Rickter: > I had an idea (for a change) about how we can identify each other >at shows. I think we should all wear blue ribbons to shows. The I will be wearing my blue ribbon to both the shows this weekend (at Northwestern on Saturday and Madison on Sunday). I'll be dragging about a dozen people with me from Minneapolis. (Any suggestions for a place where our separate cars can meet up in Madison would be highly welcomed.) On Weird Al: I got "Bad Hair Day" and loved it. The TMBG style-parody is wonderful (albeit stuck in my head too often.) The message on Al's worship of They, and Their dislike of Al, was quite useful. I would posit that while they (They and Al) both make "humorous" music, each uses a different sort of humor; Al is "weird/funny", while They are "weird/witty". Look closely how the lyrics for "Everything you Know is Wrong" are distinctly Al... They would never write lyrics like that. On the purpose of The List/Digest: I'd suggest that this is a list for fans of TMBG to come together and chat about whatever turns their cranks. One would expect conversation to be largely about Them, but some divergence is normal. Don't like it? delete it. I trust each of you, being more or less mature (pre-)adults, to keep your comments within a "reasonable" proximity to TMBG. On flamesmanship: Someone referred to the recent political posts as "flaming". I didn't see any true flaming. In fact, those were some of the most civilized political posts I've seen in my 3 years on the 'net. For a taste of REAL flames, check out the USENet group alt.flame. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:24:04 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: shows... On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Sarah Rickter wrote: > > Hello everyone! > > I had an idea (for a change) about how we can identify each other > at shows. I think we should all wear blue ribbons to shows. The > ribbon shows our support for "The Blue Ribbon Campaign" which most of you > have probably heard of. The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) and > other civil liberties groups ask that a blue ribbon be worn or displayed > to show support for the essential human right of free speech (I got that > off their page). What do you all think? Is this a stupid idea? If > you're Nola, you'll skip the ribbon and go straight for the neon sign. > But that's why we love her! > The Blue Ribbon is a good idea, but it's not precise enough, seeing as how anyone could wear one. I think to identify each other at concerts we should all wear big prosthetic foreheads on our real heads...that should do it! It's late, and my brain functions are slowly shutting themselves off due to some terrible super flu virus that I have contracted. Beam me up Scotty! Alex ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 23:29:09 +0000 From: Jared McIntyre Subject: whyo is opening? Who is opening for them at Mississippi Nights (St. Louis)? The tickets say and guest, but I haven't heard anything about who that guest is. Only two more days from my first Giants concerts. (And hopefully they will be at pointfest too. Find out this friday at five) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-88 *****************************