Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-89 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 89 Friday, 29 March 1996 Today's Topics: Pixies Re: That Crazy Power of Dial-A-Song Tape champaign concert (none) Madison show.... Re: TMBG Tours Life of John L FW: a request (fwd) Pixies Re: FW: a request (fwd) They on TV a bunch of HEADS Re: Pixies a bunch of HEADS Show in Elizabeth Town. Wrong Lyrics sucky Our tape Re: A18 (was Re: Lincoln lyrics) Re: term paper. Re: A18 (was Re: Lincoln lyrics) Re: A18 (was Re: Lincoln lyrics) Re: A18 (was Re: Lincoln lyrics) Re: sucky my plan Re: sucky Re: Subliminal Exclusive List Re: Exclusive List Re: Exclusive List + New Information Re: Exclusive List Exclusive List, etc.... Re: Exclusive List, etc.... A bunch of stuff the plaguerat on the verge of collapse space ghost! Exclusive List, etc.... Rhythm Section lyrics.. Re: Exclusive List (none) Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: Pixies Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 08:09:09 -0500 (EST) From: Mike Longtin > Oh, is there a large Pixies contingent in the TmBg community? > I have just gotten into the Pixies (I only have the one album DooLittle) and > I love them to Death! Wow...I might even like them almost as much as our > beloved Johns (but not quite). You ain't heard nothing yet... get Bossanova, and the second best album that has ever been recorded (second only to the Who's "Quadrophenia"), "Trompe Le Monde." This album is so fantastic that I almost break down in tears of joy every time I listen to it. Doolittle is *nothing* compared to this album. This is the definition of sheer sonic euphoria. I was introduced to the Pixies thanks to the members of this list. Back when Frank Black opened for They, there was some discussion about him on the list. He was highly recommended. I figured, "What have I got to lose?" So I bought "Teenager of the Year," and I was instantly hooked. The man is a genius. There does seem to be a rather large Pixies contingent in the TMBG community, but I can't understand why; in my opinion, their musical styles are totally different. I see very little similarity. The Pixies are pure sonic angst-driven onslaught guitar-driven power punk backed by catchy melodies, and They are, well, not that. -- __________________________ ________________________| |_________________________ \ Loral ADS | Mike Longtin | Tel (617)441-2055 / \ 50 Moulton St. | | FAX (617)441-2059 / ) Cambridge, MA | Software Engineer | mlongtin@ ( / 02138-1119 |________________________| camb-lads.loral.com \ /__________________________) (___________________________\ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 09:12:15 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: That Crazy Power of Dial-A-Song Tape On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Trompe Le Monde wrote: > > One more quick thing... I managed to find _the_ Video Compilation on > laserdisc, if you can believe that. It was at Camelot (typical mall > chain music store) if you can believe that. It was in the bargain bin > marked down at least times, with a final price of $3.88 if you can > believe that. I didn't hesitate in making that purchase. > > Too bad I don't have a laserdisc player... > Kerry As I posted a while back I also have the laserdisc, which I found much to my surprise at an HMV downtown. I paid 20 bucks for it and six months later Sam's next door had a bunch of copies for two dollars. But I don't mind. I hope their next compilation not only does get released but also gets released on laserdisc. The disc is an eight inch platter, unlike the standard twelve inch size of most discs. Nobody makes 8 inch discs any more but as far as I'm concerned if the disc machine you're thinking of buying doesn't have the 8 inch indentation in the tray then buy another machine. My suggestion: buy all the cheap copies of this you can, for they may actually be worth something some day. Mike. all I want to do is sleep, eat and listen to They Might Be Giants Not necessarily in that order. If you like to sleep, let me know. It is one of my favourite pastimes. When I was at the RIT show I found a purple guitar pick in front of the stage after the concert. Could this be Flans' guitar pick? ... coming soon a web page for fun people. stay tuned and on april 12 I make my third attempt to get John and John to autograph my WDTSS CD cover. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 09:58:47 -0600 (CST) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: champaign concert A few obbservations and questions I just recieved my tickets to the april two show at U of I and they are the coolest tickets I have ever seem. They have a picture of the Johns on them. Do any of the other shows have cool tickets? What is agood place to eat in Champaign Urbana? (And dont say the burritos as big as your head place. What is anyone doing after the show? Joe ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:24:19 -0600 (CST) From: Joseph Puscas I just thought of something after I sent my lest message. Maybe we could all meet somewhere before or after the show in Champaign. It could be swell huh. Let me know. I should get to town around 5. Joe ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Madison show.... Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:15:28 -0600 (CST) Is anyone seeing They this Sunday at Madison? 'twould be fun to get together and stuff..... -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 11:20:07 -0700 (GMT-0700) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Re: TMBG Tours On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Raoul the conqueror wrote: > > > > Are any of you going to the Champaign concert on April 2? > Indeed I am. The Johns have also accepted an invitation for a pizza party > at my place afterwards. > > > ...and...has anyone heard of the Swales, who shall be warming up the > stage for TMBG? > > > bye, > priest=aura > > This may be a dumb question but where is that concert?*blush* -Joyce ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 12:16:57 -0500 (CDT) From: Keith Hyman Subject: Life of John L Organization: Meharry Medical College "Nicole Carlson" on Wed, 20 Mar 1996 wrote: >Subject: A frightening incident > >Hello all > >I was at the Palace of the Legion of Honor (a museum in San >Francisco) yesterday. While wandering around, my eye lit upon a >cabinet/dresser thingy, and I drew closer to take another look. The >identifying card at the bottom said that it was based on a design by >*John Linnell* (1729-1776). I thought that was freaky!!! Actually, JL is an Immortal. He was publicly "killed" in 1776 and so had to leave the country and go underground (in a manner of speaking ;)) to avoid blowing his cover. He is a good Immortal, not an evil Immortal. But in the end, "There can be only one." ================================================================================ Keith Hyman |"Tigers don't go out on rainy nights. Nashville TN USA | They've no need to whet their appetites. hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| Hunting tigers out in Indiah. | Out, in, out, in, out in Indiah, Yah!"--any guess? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:40:31 -0800 (PST) From: "'Alejandro' Joseph Koenen" Subject: FW: a request (fwd) <> <> <> On February 20, 1996, the Salt Lake City School Board voted to ban all clubs in order to keep a Gay/Lesbian/Straight Alliance from forming at East High School. Despite numerous phone calls and countless letters, the board seems to remain recalcitrant. Salt Lake City will host the 2002 Winter Olympics with the slogan "The World is Welcome Here." The Salt Lake City School Board's decision calls into question how much of the "World" is truly "Welcome" here. The Citizens' Alliance for Hate Free Schhols, a project of the Utah Human Rights Coalition, calls on all supporters of the rights of young people to have equal access to educational opportunities and safe schools to sign the following petition. PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION AND THEN FORWARD TO SOMEONE ELSE. IF YOU ARE A TENTH PERSON TO SIGN YOUR NAME, FORWARD THE LIST BACK TO ME: cdorchard@earthlink.net (i.e. the 10th, 20th, 30th person will forward this message to me in progress). I will compile the petition and send it to the board members. Target Deadline: June 4, 1996 PETITION TO THE SALT LAKE CITY SCHOOL BOARD "We, the undersigned, support the efforts by area high school students to organize non-curricular clubs and alliances designed to increase understanding and good will among the high school population and the general public as well. We call on the Salt Lake City School Board to resist all illegal attempts at intimidation and coercion to deprive students of their legally guaranteed rights. We request that they take immediate action to reverse their decision of February 20, 1996, to ban all clubs." # Name E-Mail Address (Not Obligatory) Place of Residence >-------------------------------------------------- 1 Charlene Orchard Salt Lake City, UT 2 John Spear GLSTNJohn@aol.com NY, NY 3 Bob Latham BobLatham@aol.com Richmond, CA 4 Mary L. Gray mlgray@sfsu.edu San Francisco, CA. 5 William B. Lacy wlacy@warren-wilson.edu Minneapolis, MN 6 Rad M. Probst rprobst@scf.usc.edu Los Angeles, CA 7 Joshua A. Sonnen jsonnen@usc.edu Los Angeles, CA 8 Larry Nicholas a-larryn@microsoft.com Seattle Washington 9 Denys Howard Seattle, Washington 10 Paul Atkinson moebius@seanet.com Vancouver, A 11 Joseph Koenen weasel@u.washington.edu Seattle, Washington ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Pixies Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:27:48 -0500 (EST) > > Oh, is there a large Pixies contingent in the TmBg community? > > I have just gotten into the Pixies (I only have the one album DooLittle) and > > I love them to Death! Wow...I might even like them almost as much as our > > beloved Johns (but not quite). > > You ain't heard nothing yet... get Bossanova, and the second best album > that has ever been recorded (second only to the Who's "Quadrophenia"), > "Trompe Le Monde." This album is so fantastic that I almost break down > in tears of joy every time I listen to it. Doolittle is *nothing* compared > to this album. This is the definition of sheer sonic euphoria. Hmm I have yet to hear Trompe, I've heard it's their worst album but I don't know how reliable the sources were. I love Doolittle, it rocks so much more than Bosanova IMHO. Every song on there is excellent (which is tough to pull off!). > > I was introduced to the Pixies thanks to the members of this list. Back > when Frank Black opened for They, there was some discussion about him on > the list. He was highly recommended. I figured, "What have I got to lose?" > So I bought "Teenager of the Year," and I was instantly hooked. The man > is a genius. I first got Frank not too much longer after really hearing my friend's Pixies albums. A while before that a guy I worked with's favorite band was the Pixies but I'd never really listened to them closely. I got the first album a few months after it came out and it just struck me as totally fab. Pure genius work there. Teenager of the Year was excellent, too, I loved that when I got it. Now I'm working on getting the Cult of Ray. Frank was on Modern Rock Live I think last week also. I only caught the end of it, it was cool to hear him. He played in Downtown Baltimore but I was unable to attend this Bohager's Bar show. > > There does seem to be a rather large Pixies contingent in the TMBG > community, but I can't understand why; in my opinion, their musical styles > are totally different. I see very little similarity. The Pixies are pure > sonic angst-driven onslaught guitar-driven power punk backed by catchy > melodies, and They are, well, not that. Well for one thing they're both Bostonian based bands! (although the Giants are thought of NY based more really). Also, Frank opened for the Johns and I think a lot of people enjoyed that. As far as the two bands that emerged from the Pixies, Breeders and Frank Black, I hate to admit that I really didn't like the Breeders and thought Frank ended up much better but taht's just my humble opinion. I have yet to hear the older Breeders with Tonya Donaly though because I love her in Belly, so maybe that'll be different? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: KShumwayUT@aol.com Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 14:36:51 -0500 Subject: Re: FW: a request (fwd) Well HOW touching..... I thought we ALL Agreed to keep Politics and What not off of this list. I for one happen to live in Utah, Good or Bad, Right or Wrong, I feel that You would have had the comman decency to ask the members of the list if they A) Wanted to be a part of a petition. B) Explain the contents of the petition before sending it out. C) Taken a genral vote on the List to see how many people wanted to hear about it. I'm really not one to complain much, but when I see how much CRAP is put on this list compared to how much TMBG stuff is on it, The CRAP outways the useful information almost everyday. You could go ahead and Flame me if you want, just try to be more considerate of the people on the lists that you send out to. Most of us (if we cared about the issues) would be taking the steps needed to be active in such a movement.. To everyone on this list who have read this, (and that puts TMBG Information on the list ) let me just say I am sorry for the boatload of CRAP I have just sent out. I just had to stand on my soapbox....... ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Organization: Agnes Scott College Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:18:54 EST Subject: They on TV This Sunday on MTV, there will be a teneth anniversary show for 120 Minutes. They are going to show a lot of live performances from the past and what not--so I thought TMBG might be on the show. It starts at one or two in the afternoon. I will be busy, but if you like the other music they play on 120 Minutes enough to sit through it and see if They are on, tell me if they were on and what they played. Maybe you could tape it and get it on this bootleg video thing as well--for the enjoyment of all the list. That's all!! Jennifer ############################################################ "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu ################################################################## ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:19:48 -0500 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: a bunch of HEADS Hello everyone. Is it just me, or has everyone else noticed all the heads in Their songs? PuppetHEAD, brand new indian HEADdress, some where they're meeting on a pinHEAD, a pair of eyes on the back of your HEAD, should you worry when the skullHEAD is in front of u, Stand on your own HEAD, fire alarms go off in your HEAD, your HEAD is on the moon, as my HEAD fell in a basket, and u won't see my HEAD in the window, My HEAD is tired from all this bobbing and pretending, listen to some bulletHEAD, hit on the HEAD with a frying pan, big prothetic foreHEAd, wear it on my real HEAD, pair of eyes on the back of my HEAD, hit my HEAD on the wall of the jail, moving across the beachHEAD, he showed me how to spin my HEAD round and round, i am a snake HEAD eating the HEAD on the opposite side, I lay my HEAD on the railroad track, quickly swiveled his HEAD around, and hall of HEADS is just full of HEADS : ) I'm not complaining, a head is a very nice thing to have. I don't know how i could ever live without mine. Its just kind of weird how they have so many head songs. Hey, if they were all on the same album that'd be even cooler. they could call it Giant Head Songs...ok, i'll be quiet now. Just had a lot of time to do nothing with...just thought i'd entertain you. Let me know if i missed any Heads : ) *) (* ) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (* When you're following an angel does it mean you have to throw your body off a building? AMY -- Registered ICC User check out http://www.usefulware.com/icc.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:37:30 -0500 (EST) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: Pixies On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Mike Longtin wrote: > > Oh, is there a large Pixies contingent in the TmBg community? > > I have just gotten into the Pixies (I only have the one album DooLittle) and > > I love them to Death! Wow...I might even like them almost as much as our > > beloved Johns (but not quite). > > You ain't heard nothing yet... get Bossanova, and the second best album > that has ever been recorded (second only to the Who's "Quadrophenia"), > "Trompe Le Monde." This album is so fantastic that I almost break down > in tears of joy every time I listen to it. Doolittle is *nothing* compared > to this album. This is the definition of sheer sonic euphoria. > > I was introduced to the Pixies thanks to the members of this list. Back > when Frank Black opened for They, there was some discussion about him on > the list. He was highly recommended. I figured, "What have I got to lose?" > So I bought "Teenager of the Year," and I was instantly hooked. The man > is a genius. > > There does seem to be a rather large Pixies contingent in the TMBG > community, but I can't understand why; in my opinion, their musical styles > are totally different. I see very little similarity. The Pixies are pure > sonic angst-driven onslaught guitar-driven power punk backed by catchy > melodies, and They are, well, not that. > -- > __________________________ > ________________________| |_________________________ > \ Loral ADS | Mike Longtin | Tel (617)441-2055 / > \ 50 Moulton St. | | FAX (617)441-2059 / > ) Cambridge, MA | Software Engineer | mlongtin@ ( > / 02138-1119 |________________________| camb-lads.loral.com \ > /__________________________) (___________________________\ > > > As for Pixie's albums, I'd have to say that Come on Pilgrim was their best work....wow..that was short...oh well.. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: a bunch of HEADS Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:52:01 -0500 (EST) > Hello everyone. Is it just me, or has everyone else noticed all the > heads in Their songs? > PuppetHEAD, brand new indian HEADdress, some where they're meeting on a > pinHEAD, a pair of eyes on the back of your HEAD, should you worry when the > skullHEAD is in front of u, Stand on your own HEAD, fire alarms go off in > your HEAD, your HEAD is on the moon, > as my HEAD fell in a basket, and u won't see my HEAD in the window, > My HEAD is tired from all this bobbing and pretending, listen to some > bulletHEAD, hit on the HEAD with a frying pan, big prothetic foreHEAd, wear > it on my real HEAD, pair of eyes on the back of my HEAD, hit my HEAD on the > wall of the jail, moving across the beachHEAD, he showed me how to spin my > HEAD round and round, > i am a snake HEAD eating the HEAD on the opposite side, I lay my HEAD on the > railroad track, quickly swiveled his HEAD around, and hall of HEADS is just > full of HEADS : ) > I'm not complaining, a head is a very nice thing to have. I don't > know how i could ever live without mine. Its just kind of weird how they > have so many head songs. Hey, if they were all on the same album that'd be > even cooler. they could call it Giant Head Songs...ok, i'll be quiet now. > Just had a lot of time to do nothing with...just thought i'd entertain you. > Let me know if i missed any Heads : ) They sure do give a lot of HEAD! ;) Ok that was really bad but I was dying to say it. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:01:33 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: Show in Elizabeth Town. i'm a goin to this one, so if any of yous are there and you see a 6"0 rather large guy wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt over the Pearl T-shirt and he has really puffy curly hair. that would be me. mtfbwy daniel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:06:12 -0500 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Wrong Lyrics Hi, guess what, the first million times that i listened to SenSurround before i read the lyrics, i thought that the line that goes "accidentally in a coal mine it was found..." said "accidentally in a goat my head was found..." silly me : ) *) (* ) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (* When you're following an angel does it mean you have to throw your body off a building? AMY -- Registered ICC User check out http://www.usefulware.com/icc.html ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: sucky Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 17:55:19 -0500 (EST) Today is a sucky day. It's raining outside, I'm stuck in this stupid lab, I'm starving, I'm writing the world's hardest C++ program and failing miserably at it and I have to go to class for nearly 3 hours tonight. I wish the Johns were here playing some tunes in the lab. I'd start clapping like it was the ho-down at the show-down. But alas they are not here *sigh* Matt the depressed -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Bejezus@aol.com Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:48:20 -0500 Subject: Our tape What ever happened to that tape we were going to make with list members doing songs. Just wondrin', Brother JohnBejezus ------------------------------ From: Andrew John CALLAGHAN Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:03:31 +1100 (EST) Subject: Re: A18 (was Re: Lincoln lyrics) On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Adam Procter wrote: > At 02:59 AM 3/26/96 -0500, you wrote: > > > My Apollo 18 CD plays normally in shuffle mode, I guess any > >problem anybody might have stems from the CD player itself. > > Apollo 18 plays strangely in shuffle mode because Fingertips is > broken up into 20 or so tracks. Space Suit listed as track 38 is no joke. > -- > Adam Procter > aprocter@mail.coin.missouri.edu > Where did you get your copy from? My (and everyone I know's) copy has all of Fingertips in one large chunk of song. If you've got individual tracks on your CD, then I think you've got a very special copy indeed. By the way, I don't know if I loose part of the tracks on Lincoln, but I certainly do on the self-titled album. Andrew...The CuddleWombat "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:43:06 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: Re: term paper. I think everyone on the list should be proud of this guy. He would rather listen to TMBG and talk to us than build his future. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 17:07:09 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: Re: A18 (was Re: Lincoln lyrics) >My (and everyone I know's) copy has all >of Fingertips in one large chunk of song. If you've got individual >tracks on your CD, then I think you've got a very special copy >indeed. Mine, and everyone's I knows's) copy has fingertips as multiple tracks. Maybe the cds in your part of the country come from a different factory or something. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 18:28:16 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: A18 (was Re: Lincoln lyrics) >Where did you get your copy from? My (and everyone I know's) copy has all >of Fingertips in one large chunk of song. If you've got individual tracks >on your CD, then I think you've got a very special copy indeed. This was a mastering mistake on the Australian and German pressings of the CD. The United States version has Fingertips as tracks 17 through 37, the way the Johns intended it. If you're doubtful, look at the liner notes. They indicate that the CD was particularly designed to utilize a CD player's shuffle mode. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 18:24:06 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Bird Subject: Re: A18 (was Re: Lincoln lyrics) On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Andrew John CALLAGHAN wrote: > Where did you get your copy from? My (and everyone I know's) copy has all > of Fingertips in one large chunk of song. If you've got individual tracks > on your CD, then I think you've got a very special copy indeed. > The way I understand it, US versions of A18 have individual tracks for Fingertips, while non-US versions have the entire thing as one track. Is this in the FAQ? If not, it should be... Bob -- Robert Bird "Mammal, mammal...Their names are called, rbird@utk.edu they raise a paw: the bat, the cat... University of Tennessee dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog..." http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 18:04:49 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Re: sucky On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Today is a sucky day. It's raining outside, I'm stuck in this stupid I can completely sympathize here. I program Web pages for my university and my first ones went up today. Well happily I get on my account relieved to know I am finnaly getting some where with my job. Well my first e-mail was a message of some programing errors because of my forgetfulness about Unix being case sensitive...I am now the current joke of our computer dept. and had to spend part of the day reprogramming, and I just got a call I forgot to turn in my time sheet. At this point I am at the top of quite a few people s-list. Oh well...there is always TMBG to calm my nervers..>I think I will wallow in their music for a while... -Joyce "Existance is futile" -me ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: my plan Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 20:33:10 -0500 (EST) Upon looking at my plan for my unix account I had remember that I had put the lyrics to Rhythm Section Want Ad on there and I noticed these two lines, "So if you like a bank with a chick singer Say your cup of tea is a wall of trombones" I just don't understand them, they are too wacky. Any wackologists want to try a go at them? Actually, maybe I will give a go...hmmmm.... I just rememberd that there is a bar called the Bank and they have bands there and maybe they are refering to this Baltimore bar with some chick who sang there? And maybe it was a ska band and they had trombones and they really liked this band, especially the trombones, and the chick singer. And then they all went and had tea? Sound good? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 20:44:23 -0500 Subject: Re: sucky In a message dated 96-03-28 20:08:22 EST, you write: >I can completely sympathize here. I program Web pages for my university >and my first ones went up todayof our web policy>. Well happily I get on my account relieved to know I >am finnaly getting some where with my job. Well my first e-mail was a >message of some programing errors because of my forgetfulness about Unix >being case sensitive...I am now the current joke of our computer >dept. and had to spend part of the day reprogramming, and I just got a >call I forgot to turn in my time sheet. At this point I am at the top of >quite a few people s-list. Oh well...there is always TMBG to calm my >nervers..>I think I will wallow in their music for a while... gees I was under the impression that web page design (unless you're writing CGIs) isn't considered programming and I therefore couldn't give myself the nifty title hmmm... I guess it didn't even start out related to Them... ------------------------------ From: Bejezus@aol.com Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 20:53:40 -0500 Subject: Re: Subliminal In a message dated 96-03-27 22:26:16 EST, you write: >>>If I'm not mistaken, Subliminal is actually 4 different Linnells singing, >>>and not both Johns together. At least I'm assuming you're referring to >>>the album version. I have yet to see or hear it live (why won't they >>>come to Tennessee, @#$% it!!!). >> >>I thought I heard a Flansburgh in the end part. >> >But the end part is the part before that reversed > > I meant that part backwards AND forwards. Duh, man it's been a long time since i used that word B-), Brother JohnBejezus ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 20:40:10 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: Exclusive List Hi. I am creating an exclusive TMBG list. I will limit membership to about 15 people, depending on how many requests I get for membership. The purpose of this list is to eliminate messages like Anarchy (nothing personal) and stuff. I reserve the right to BOOT anyone off the list if I get a complaint from their fellow list member. If you wan't to increase your chance of getting on, and you were, say, the 16th person to request, you could include a few sentances on why you want to be on the list. This MIGHT increase your chances to get on. Right now, I only have one person (unless you count me). It is on a first come, first serve basis. There will be a waiting list. Occasionally, if someone says something REALLY cool on this list, I may give them a chance to get on. TO SUBSCRIBE: Mail Momaw@gnn.com and include somewhere in the body, the text I AM A SPAMHEAD. I think I have told you everything about the list, but check http://members.gnn.com/Momaw/TmBg.htm just in case. P.S. If you don't get on, please don't hate me. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 20:47:39 -0600 From: "jonas (my name is)" Subject: Re: Exclusive List You have a lot of nerve doing crap like this. what makes you think that you are so much better than everyone else on the list. i hope you and your fifteen little friends have a good time talking amongst yourselves. have fun playing god. feel free to ban me from your list forever. paul swan. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Exclusive List + New Information Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:58:02 -0500 (EST) > Hi. I am creating an exclusive TMBG list. I will limit membership > to about 15 people, depending on how many requests I get for > membership. The purpose of this list is to eliminate messages like *falls on the floor laughing* Yeah, a list with 15 people will do a lot of good. That's about 3% of the people on this list. I realize spammage has been a problem lately. The tmbg-list has always been that way though (at least for the 4 or so years I have been on it). In order to help things a bit, I am working with They Might Be Productions to provide some new services: 1) www.tmbg.com, the official web site is going to be rolled out this summer. I know this is much later then we origionally thought, but I think it's going to be really good. The Giants are shelling out some money for some web designers to do some good stuff. 2) I'm working on a 'tmbg-announce' list which will be a low traffic moderated list that will just have concert date / new release date announcements and the like. 3) We're working on Dial-A-Song online, both on the official web site, and in the form of an e-mailed version you'll get once a day. (It's free when you listen at work!) My hope here is that since the mailing list seems to always have so many tangents that we can get all the "important" information out in the form of web sites or moderated mailing lists for those who don't want to wade through all the other stuff. Finally, I would like to say I need to know what you want. If everyone is fed up with the tangents on the list, mail me. I can take care of such problems and do something. Posting to the list that you aren't happy with what someone said doesn't help, often it just leads to a flamewar. It really is best to ignore such messages. Deleteing them is easy. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Exclusive List Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 19:28:31 -0800 (PST) > > You have a lot of nerve doing crap like this. what makes you think that you > are so much better than everyone else on the list. i hope you and your > fifteen little friends have a good time talking amongst yourselves. have > fun playing god. > > feel free to ban me from your list forever. > > paul swan. > Huh? I have no idea where this came from... a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Exclusive List, etc.... Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:56:17 -0600 (CST) If he wants to make an extra list of people who want JUST tmbg, etc, why get so angry with him? Personally, I kind of enjoy all the spammage and stuff like that that's been going on lately, but I can see that it might be kind of annoying to people.... So he wants to make a list that'll _only_ deal with tmbg... Why get so upset??? -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 22:29:20 -0600 From: "jonas (my name is)" Subject: Re: Exclusive List, etc.... enter paul's apology for the message he sent earlier. i also enjoy reading all the off topic posts that show up here. i was fascinated by reading all the political stuff that's been going on. my least favorite messages of all are the ones where people complain about what is being posted. and ones like this one i'm writing, but i think i need to do this. i just over reacted to what i feel was the ultimate in going against what i like best about this list. so sorry for the junk... paul ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:39:49 -0600 (MDT) From: WorldWide Skull Subject: A bunch of stuff Hey, everyone. I just read about 20 digests that have accumulated over Spirng Break and through my procrastination to ckeck my mail, and wanted to comment on a few things that have been said over the past few weeks. First of all, I heard that Wierd Al Song, "Everything you know is wrong," before I heard about it in the digests, and I thought it sounded like TMBG, too. It sounded to me like a song you would find on Apollo 18(I took special care to say 18, instead of something like Apollo 89, to keep people's tempers down). Along with all the A18 references everyone else has mentioned(St. Peter, Evil Twin), at the beginning of the song, he's naming of a bunch of names to try to guess who's covering his eyes, and it reminded me of the string of mammals sung in Mammal(Dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog...) My apologies to those who don't like Al, and love A18, but Al's song sounds most like a Apollo 18 song with an extremely heavy exaggeration of TMBG's lyrics. Also, someone a week or so ago was having trouble because both their roommate and their boyfreind hates TMBG.(At least that's what I remember. Anyway, you know who you are.) My best friend through high school didn't like Them either. He said they were "silly," and They reminded him of a nursery rhyme band or something. Anyway, this summer, I was playing SenSurround, and he couldn't believe it was Them! Apparently he didn't know that They had a full band now. Well, I lent JH to him, and he loved it! Then I showed him the Video Compliation, and he was almost in exctasy watching Ana Ng. To make a long story not-so-long, since then he has gotten 3 albums. In his own words, "I find myself in a state of euphoria when listening to Apollo 18." The point of my story is, people who claim that they don't like TMBG either really don't like Them, or just don't know that they like Them. Try playing them TMBG songs that are closest to the style of music that they like, but if you've done that then I'll just crawl into this convenient hole now. As, a side note, this friend of mine also bought the entire Shampoo CD when he heard "Trouble" on my MMPR SoundTrack, so mabye it's just him. One more thing, concerning all the commonalities in TMBG fans. I noticed that their was a film major on the list. Both me and my other TMBG friend are also heavliy interested in filmmaking. Any one else out there? Mark Melville, 18 and male and loving it. ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 23:52:47 -0500 Subject: the plaguerat on the verge of collapse ladies and gentlemen.... here's a couple figures for you all so you can get an idea of how many copies of stumpbox are in circulation...please take note this is only for the copies dubbed off the two originals... that's me and phil.. no one else.. first generation copies - about 120 # of countries that havesent requests - 5 # of requests that were in my email today - 39 # of tapes i shipped out today - 16 # of letters sent between phil and i in the last 10 days - about 60 the depth of maxell wrappers on my floor - 2.5 feet the # of times i contimplated sucide during the duration of taping - 12 the amount of time spent taping this week- 2430 minutes quote of the day - "Stumpbox is a demon from such a depth that even Dante himself could not fathom" special request.. send us money, food, blank tapes, stamps,beer, bootlegs and other stuff... we're dying here... i haven't eaten in a day and a half.. i dont have anything to listen to except stumpbox and i swear to god im gonna kill someone!!!! please help me..... dear lord what have i done to deserve this??? oh sorry forgot you were still here.... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ must stop!!! ~-=plaguerat=-~ he is our hero! -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: space ghost! Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 01:17:19 -0500 (EST) I was watching that supremely hilarious show Space Ghost Coast to Coast the one where he does his talk show. I swear at the end they have changed from No One Knows my pLan to End of The Tour now! It sounds like it anyway. They don't play much of it so I might be wrong. Anybody know? I think it's dang cool folks! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Exclusive List, etc.... Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 01:31:44 -0500 (EST) > > If he wants to make an extra list of people who want JUST tmbg, etc, why > get so angry with him? Personally, I kind of enjoy all the spammage and > stuff like that that's been going on lately, but I can see that it might > be kind of annoying to people.... > > So he wants to make a list that'll _only_ deal with tmbg... Why get so > upset??? It seems that even such a list would eventually stray at least a little bit from total TMBG stuff. I've found it's very hard for a mailing list to ALWAYS stay on topic. I think it's generally fun. I lik eour little list here 8-) It's happy. Why must we be sad, ya know? Matt "Cracking toast, Grommit!" -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Rhythm Section lyrics.. Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 01:42:19 -0500 (EST) > > Actually, I refuse to believe the lyrics sheet on this one. I think > > it's definitely say8ing "band" with a chick singer, not bank. I believe that I have erred, or should I say the people who printed the lyrics on the sleeve have erred. It does say "So if you like a banK with a chick singer" but it does sound like Linnell says "band" But you never know with those weird minds of Theirs. He does say it kinda fast too... I will have to correct that in my plan. Matt " I used to go to school here at George Washington, I used to just sit here in the theatre in the dark and stare at the exit sign..." (slightly paraphrased) --John Flansburgh Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Exclusive List Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:58:07 -0800 (PST) > > > Huh? I have no idea where this came from... > > i was frustrated by the message about a person setting up an exclusive list > and i was ranting about it, something i probably should have done privately... > > paul > > That's cool. Everyone needs to get it out of their system when they hear something against what they believe. Go for it, and NEVER regret what you say. (My philosophy) a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin P.S. You are probably right anyways... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 01:29:05 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 well, it's late and before I go to sleep I just wanted to state publicly for the billionth time how much I like TMBG. Well, if you can picture me right now, imagine me holding my hands very far apart in the air. How much do I like TMBG? From here to here. A lot. The most. I just hope one day they might let me direct a video for them. I might not be able to touch Adam Bernstein at his most brilliant but I can try. Mike. http://cool.web.page.coming.soon/~really! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-89 *****************************