Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 9 Tuesday, 9 January 1996 Today's Topics: particle man about info club The Dukes of Stratosphear for TMBG Spock and Sheet FW: The Chain Letter of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians (fwd) spock re:translation I would like to be taken off the mailing list. Stuff Re: Spock and Sheet Hello. Hello. I don't know why they said goodbye when I called HELLO, ( CD of the month club) Re: just joined Re: Spock and Sheet Re: particle man Cowtown News Network Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Matthew James Subject: particle man Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 03:25:33 -0500 (EST) > > > To answer the second part of your question, yes, Dr. Spock is definitely > worth getting. Linnell used the accordian much more than he has in > recent days (to particularly effective use in "Twisting"). The other > highlight (in my mind at any rate) was Particle Man with a prominent > clarinet, played much faster than on either Flood or Live in NYC. I used to like particle man quite a bit but lately any bootleg or any performance with Particle Man on it has been rather blah to me. I dunno, maybe just because I've heard it so many times with it being one of their biggest singles, and played on Demento and played at the concerts I've been to but I just can't get psyched up to hear it anymore. I mean sure I will still dance and bounce around to it at a concert but this is mainly because I'm there with the Johns at a concert and don't really care if they're playing it or not (and of course you know it'll be played). But listening to a boot on tape I'm almost tempted to just skip over it or listening to Flood I will sometimes skip over it. I'd hate to think that I'd never want to listen to another Johns song again and I don't think that would ever happen but if Particle Man were played in very small quantities I don't think I'd mind much. I tend to get that way a little with Istanbul too but then of course there's the cool Brownsville Mix which is a nice change of pace. I can't really think of any other songs like this, though. I woulda thought maybe Ana Ng but I think I could listen to that song from here to eternity and still love it, it's just great! Birdhouse too. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: about info club Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 10:10:16 +0000 (GMT) I've just read Mark's mail about his problems with the Info Club, and can I sympathise! Again, I don't know if it is because I live in England, but I've waited a total of almost 10 weeks for my last order now, and I am NOT HAPPY. The last time, I got it within a month, but it had to be sent back, cos there was (honest!) no CD in the box... Excuse my frustration, but I don't need this. I am in the middle of big Physiotherapy (that's Physical Therapy) exams at the moment...How good is the Info Club for native Americans? Oh, and another thing-I like reading about all these concerts and all, but it does remind me that I missed my one and only chance to see the Johns in 94 cos I had to go to the blinking Horse of the Year show instead! I'm going to have to stop now, cos I'm getting depressed. But I do think the list is great, so keep it up! Nicola ("I declare that I am England"...tmbg) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 09:02:46 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: The Dukes of Stratosphear for TMBG Ben or Been, orbitting. (word choice) I highly, highly recommend for TMBG fans the Dukes of Stratosphear album _Chips from the Chocolate Fireball_ (I believe), which is the only album by XTC under this pseudonym (not counting the two EP's coollected on it). If you have the capabilities of reversing beackwards messages, this album's for you for there are two handfuls of messages. The album also includes the original version of "25 O'Clock," in my opinion a better version than TMBG's but I do like them both. The album has humor, Alice in Wonderlandlike snippets spoken by a little British girl, quite a few upbeat songs, and ingenuity galore. A delightful earful. To sample a song from the album, "25 O'Clock," call Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-2583 Pumping a cosmic flat tire, Ben or Been Second E-Prime ------------------------------ From: Michael.N.Piastowski@lawrence.edu Date: Mon, 08 Jan 1996 11:14:17 -0600 (CST) Subject: Spock and Sheet I am interested if anyone knows where or if I can get or purchase sheet music for Giants songs. I mean notes, not guitar chords. Violin music would be preferable, but any will do. Also, is there ANYWHERE I could purchase a copy of Dr. Spock's Back Up Band. I can't find it anywhere. No one I know has even heard of it. Help please. "The world goes by like the juniper" Mike P. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 09:47:22 -0800 (PST) From: "'Alejandro' Joseph Koenen" Subject: FW: The Chain Letter of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians (fwd) Go in peace, to love and serve the lord . . 7-) _______________________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| | | _______| _______| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| |_______ | _______| |_______ | | | | | | | | |___________|___________|_____|_____|___________|___________|___________| Joe Koenen weasel@u.washingtopn.edu NOTE: Many of you are not very religious, but I got a kick out of this.... ----------- [Forwards Saved] THE CHAIN LETTER OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE CORINTHIANS _________________________________________________________________ The Chain Letter of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians WITH CHARITY ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE This epistle comes to you from Philippi. Grace be to you and peace. Spiritual gifts will be delivered unto you within four days of receiving this letter--providing you in turn send it on. 2. This is no joke. Send copies to whomsoever among the gentiles or superstituous peoples of other denominations you would comfort in all their tribulation. Do not send material things. Charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up. 3. While visiting the Household of Stephanas, a Macedonian proconsul received the epistle and was greeted by his brethren by a holy kiss. But he broke the chain, and now he is become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal. 4. Gaius bestowed all his goods to feed the poor, and gave his body to be burned, but it profited him nothing. He failed to circulate the letter. However, before his death, he received the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. 5. Do note the following: Crispius had the gift of prophecy, and understood all mysteries, and all knowledge, and had all faith, so that he could remove mountains. But he forgot that the epistle had to leave his hands within 96 hours, and now he is nothing. 6. In A.D. 37, the epistle was received by a young Galatian woman who put it aside to copy and send out later. She was plagued by various problems: thrice she was beaten with rods, once she was stoned, and thrice suffered shipwreck. On the last day of these occasions, she spent a night and day in the deep. Finally, she copied the letter. A trumpet sounded, and she was raised incorruptible. 7. Remember: Believeth all things, hopeth all things. The chain never faileth. St. Paul ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 10:06:56 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: spock Dr. spock's back up band sounds pretty cool; can anyone make me a copy? The only thing I have to trade is Live in NY. Liam ------------------------------ From: AARON STEVEN Organization: Sir Sandford Fleming College Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 13:09:41 -0500 (EST) Subject: re:translation ------- Forwarded Message Follows ------- Date sent: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 16:13:07 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: translation? did someone say translation? Send reply to: Lady J hi everyone! my dad works at the fort wayne airport as an air traffic controller and he was teaching me the alphabet in radio language during church (don't ask)...and here it is, "TMBG" in some funky aviation language: TANGO MIKE BRAVO GOLF my job here is done. "alpha india mike echo echo" over and out. hotel india: alpha india mike echo echo india+tango hotel oscar uniform golf hotel tango+india+sahara hotel oscar uniform lima delta+golf india victor echo+oscar uniform tango+ tango hotel echo+whiskey hotel oscar lima echo+victor echo romeo sahara india oscar november. Here is the whole version for those who cannot read phonetic writing: "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" THEY = tango hotel echo yankee MIGHT = mike india golf hotel tango BE = bravo echo GIANTS = golf india alpha november tango sahara Remember i am Canadian so some of the phonetic words i have used my not be the same as where ever you (the tmbg fan) are from. bye, oceanchild (lisenced marine radio operator) "oscar charlie echo alpha november charlie hotel india lima delta" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Jan 1996 12:50:30 -0600 From: JEREMY WILLIAM KULBARTZ Subject: I would like to be taken off the mailing list. To whom it may concern, It would be greatly appreciated if you could take me off of the mailing list. Thank you very much. Sincerely, Jeremy Kulbartz ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:47:01 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Stuff Hello there, I consider myself a good fan of the giants, but I've never really had the chance to get my hands on bootlegs and such...so if anyone has any live recordings, videos..etc...I'd appreciate it if you'd drop me some email..I don't have much to trade, so be warned...thanks.. Sean ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Spock and Sheet Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:24:16 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Michael.N.Piastowski@lawrence.edu: > >I am interested if anyone knows where or if I can get or purchase sheet music >for Giants songs. I mean notes, not guitar chords. Violin music would be >preferable, but any will do. As a matter of fact, while out Christmas shopping a couple weeks ago, I finally found some TMBG sheet music, hidden within the swirling depths of the Might Morphin' Power Rangers Soundtrack Songbook. Yes, that's right, it has the music from SenSurround and a dozen or so other wacky songs (so if you ever wanted the sheet music for the Power Rangers theme song, or Snap's "The Power", you're in luck.) The book cost $20 at Sam Goody's in the Mall of America. No, I'm not going to photocopy the TMBG pages and send it to all of you :P >Also, is there ANYWHERE I could purchase a copy of Dr. Spock's Back Up Band. I >can't find it anywhere. No one I know has even heard of it. Help please. Of course you can't find it in stores; it's a bootleg. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 19:57:22 +0700 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: Hello. Hello. I don't know why they said goodbye when I called HELLO, ( CD of the month club) ................................................................................ Has anyone tried to order from the HELLO CD OF THE MONTH CLUB? I have left all of the neccesary credit card info twice, and I still am not billed on my Visa statement. I've been trying to order the cds for four months. Do they take that long to check their voice mail? Whassup wit dat? I even ordered all three years worth of stuff. Do they not want my money. 'Cause I want their music. I think the part with the tornado guy on the Brownsville remix has something to do with Janet Jackson, but maybe that's just the "You aren't taping this are you?" part. My friend told me it was Janet Jackson or something. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 15:29:32 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Re: just joined On Mon, 8 Jan 1996, Susan Lee Jethro wrote: > i have lincoln, flood, apollo 18 and john henry > which album should i buy next? I don't have They Might Be Giants (Self Titled), but I can tell you that I really enjoy listening to Miscellaneous t alot. It's a really fun album that has some really cool B-sides. > by the way, i'd like to here some of your opinions on the statement made by > They that their lyrics don't really mean anything, that they're just > nonsense...i have my own opinions about it but i'd like to hear yours first > The lyrics in TMBG songs are very elusive. A person could listen to a song hundreds of times before extracting any meaning whatsoever (I'm guilty of never thinking about Birdhouse in your Soul as a nightlight story). If you go on http://www.tmbg.org/ they have some really cool interpretations of songs on all of the various albums (A select group of songs, at least). If you agree, that's great. If you don't agree, I'm sure we would all love to hear what you think about songs and shed some new meaning to our favourite group. *------------------------------------------------------------- |garthi@teleport.com | "These go up to 11" -Nigel Tuffnel| |----------------------| ------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 22:12:14 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Spock and Sheet On Mon, 8 Jan 1996 Michael.N.Piastowski@lawrence.edu wrote: > I am interested if anyone knows where or if I can get or purchase sheet music > for Giants songs. I mean notes, not guitar chords. Violin music would be > preferable, but any will do. > > Also, is there ANYWHERE I could purchase a copy of Dr. Spock's Back Up Band. I > can't find it anywhere. No one I know has even heard of it. Help please. > > "The world goes by like the juniper" > Mike P. > > I've got a copy of Dr. Spock's Back-Up Band, and I'd be willing to make copies for anyone who wants it. Just e-mail me. It is, however, only a copy. If anyone knows where I can get an original CD, please mail me as well. -Oh, yeah, on the subject of sheet music: if anyone knows of any cool accordian music (TMBG or otherwise), please send me a message. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 22:25:57 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: particle man On Mon, 8 Jan 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > > > To answer the second part of your question, yes, Dr. Spock is definitely > > worth getting. Linnell used the accordian much more than he has in > > recent days (to particularly effective use in "Twisting"). The other > > highlight (in my mind at any rate) was Particle Man with a prominent > > clarinet, played much faster than on either Flood or Live in NYC. > I used to like particle man quite a bit but lately any bootleg or any performance > with Particle Man on it has been rather blah to me. I dunno, maybe just because > I've heard it so many times with it being one of their biggest singles, and played > on Demento and played at the concerts I've been to but I just can't get psyched > up to hear it anymore. I mean sure I will still dance and bounce around to it at > a concert but this is mainly because I'm there with the Johns at a concert and don't > really care if they're playing it or not (and of course you know it'll be played). > But listening to a boot on tape I'm almost tempted to just skip over it or listening > to Flood I will sometimes skip over it. I'd hate to think that I'd never want to > listen to another Johns song again and I don't think that would ever happen but if > Particle Man were played in very small quantities I don't think I'd mind much. I > tend to get that way a little with Istanbul too but then of course there's the cool > Brownsville Mix which is a nice change of pace. I can't really think of any other songs > like this, though. I woulda thought maybe Ana Ng but I think I could listen to that > song from here to eternity and still love it, it's just great! Birdhouse too. > Matt > > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond > "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash > Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp > Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK > -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- > Honestly, I'm completely conscious of how played out Particle Man is, but for some reason it just doesn't seem to matter. The accordian is just too beautiful. I can't really say the same thing about Birdhouse. It's a good song, but I've heard it so many times there's almost no need to hear it again. Ana Ng, though, is the opposite. I didn't like it so much when first I heard it, but now, years later, it still seems to get better. -Oh yeah, Istanbul has been heard a lot as well, but the Dr. Spock version (or any live version, for that matter) is very different from the recorded version. That elongated ending is a little tedious, though. -Well, for anyone who hasn't heard yet: Toad's Place, New Haven, CT. January 18. (Johnny Too Bad and the Strikeouts are playing there on the 16th. A great band I think everyone should check out.) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 16:39:04 -0200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Cowtown News Network okay folks here we go. Bear with me. I was watching CNN, because you can get it here and because I thought why not? and anyways, I saw the travel guide show, and I thought, cool, they're going to do a bit on a part of New Zealand and after all, being a new zealander, I thought I'd give it a sqizz. well fine. if they don't feel like researching a damned thing, I guess that's up to them. They didnt even have the sense to look up an atlas and work out that Auckland is not the capital city. they must have visted here...for the love of god...no...anyways, this is off the point. The very next segemnt, or should we say, the next country they decided to insult was Canada. well great, fine hows you father and all, keep veiwing and their travelbollocks question was: which Canadian city is known as Cowtown? well letmetellyoumister I was quite intrigued, and sure enough it was Calgary just as I had suspected (huh) and all goes to prove: *Larry King is the ugliest person alive *CNN do research, just not their travel guide. *Always have a clean pair of undies *Beavers don't shave *Linnell is having a secret affair with one of the chippettes *Elmer Fudd Is A Dolt (Pick a moral) ---Mike ____________________________________________ Michael Carr ____________________________________________ Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-9 ****************************