Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-90 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 90 Saturday, 30 March 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Exclusive List Re: space ghost! Digested Boba Mail TMBG's Cover of "You Oughta Know" Noah's Flood lyric questions Last night's Mercury Lounge show! things... Re: space ghost! Re: space ghost! Hrm...*sniff* see you guys later... Re: lyric questions Re: Last night's Mercury Lounge show! Re: A bunch of stuff Re: lyric questions Mighty Mighty Bootlegs Re: lyric questions Re: Last night's Mercury Lounge show! Re: space ghost! Re: A bunch of stuff Re: Space Ghost Re: A bunch of stuff Re: Last night's Mercury Lounge show! Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:32:22 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Exclusive List On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Josh Younger wrote: > Hi. I am creating an exclusive TMBG list. I will limit membership > to about 15 people, depending on how many requests I get for > membership. I hope the fifteen people are all quite talkative, otherwise the list is going to be a bit dull. > Occasionally, if someone says something REALLY > cool on this list, I may give them a chance to get on. Ooooh. What an honour. Josh might let you into his gang. Well, I'm going to start my own list. It's just going to be me and my best friend. And none of you can join. We'll send mail to each other and no one else is allowed to read it. Nyah nyah nyah. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 96 09:49:27 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: space ghost! > I was watching that supremely hilarious show Space Ghost Coast to Coast > the one where he does his talk show. I swear at the end they have changed > from No One Knows my pLan to End of The Tour now! It sounds like it anyway. > They don't play much of it so I might be wrong. Anybody know? > I think it's dang cool folks! > Matt That must be cartoon planet. It is end of the tour just all of the music parts clipped together. (It'd be kinda funny to see 3 1/2 minute woth of credits on such a small show (and that guy in the costume would get kinda tired). At the begining of Cartoon Planet (the one where space ghost has his talk show and shows old cartoons), in the begining there is guy in the Space ghost costume dancing to No One Knows My Plans (all up until Linnell starts singing), and at the end they have what sounds like a cut up version of End Of The Tour and in the credits it says "They Might Be Giants Make Beatuful Music". It airs on TBS at 3:05 pm weekdays and on the Cartoon Network at 6pm weekdays and other various times. Space Ghost Coast to Coast (the real talk show) doesn't have any they stuff in it ;( But it is still a really funny show. It airs Friday at 11pm, the friday episode is rerun at 12am sunday morning (or 12am saturday night however you wana look at it), two reruns epiosdes also are aird on the cartoon network on Wednesdays at 9:30pm. ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:00:54 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail Keith wrote: >Actually, JL is an Immortal. He was publicly "killed" in 1776 and so had >to leave the country and go underground (in a manner of speaking ;)) to >avoid blowing his cover. He is a good Immortal, not an evil Immortal. >But in the end, "There can be only one." Excellent. Brother Johhny Wrote: >What ever happened to that tape we were going to make with list members doing >songs? Yeah, What happened? On Cartoon Panet on TBS, they play both NOKMP & TEOTT, as a reply to what Matthew James wrote. By the way, my name is Mathew James Ondrey cool, huh? So, how's everyone doing. That's good. You know what? If I would stare into the Subliminal for as long as I can, I'd still be starin'. .tuO aboB -Matthew Ondrey, whose face is a paper white mask of evil MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "BUT YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ME BECAUSE I HAVE A SPECIAL JOB" "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:57:44 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: TMBG's Cover of "You Oughta Know" Ben or Been here. Uh-oh. "You Oughta Know" by They Might Be Giants [Sung by jealous songwriter John Flansburgh, who in a newsletter, says he likes partner John Linnell's songs.] I want you to know That I'm happy for you I wish nothing but The best for your solo project. Is it a fake TMBG? Or is it a Mono Puff parody? Will you go down on me at the end of the tour? You don't sing eloquently E.g., your "South Caroliney" And I hope you have an excellent lawyer 'Cause the songs that we wrote Were unable to float With only one person at the vokes, And you know it Oo. ***** I can't remember the rest. Gee, can you believe it? After hearing that song over and over and over and over and over, etc., you'd think I'd have committed it to memory, and then committed myself to a hospital. Sure, there's debate about the abilities of Miss Alanis of You Can't Green Slime, but one thing's for sure: WE CAN PARODY THE ACHE EE DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS OUTTA THE SONG Has Weird Al parodied it yet? Well, sorry, John, about your feelings about John. Adieu and toodles, Ben or Been who now has playing on Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-BLUE a fun, funny song by Tom Lehrer called "She's My Girl" Shim-Sham. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:05:07 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Noah's Flood Ben or Been here-ing impaired. Well, no; I'm lying. Perhaps I'm truth impaired. The other day I realized the gorgeous thematic construction of _Flood_. What do I see? --Later. Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: lyric questions Date: Fri, 29 Mar 96 10:19:16 EST i have a question about the lyrics to james k. polk, and i remeber someone posting them a while back. what do they say after austere, severe... in the second verse? also, i realize this isn't a camper van beethoven list, but i know several of you like them so... in the beginning of take the skinheads bowling, do they really say 'every day, i get up and pray to john/and he increases the number of frogs by exactly one'? because that's almost what it sounds like. and what the HELL do they say in tina? the only thing i can figure out is maybe 'tina sing a little bit higher, watch out, watch out, watch out'. farside ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:03:36 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: Last night's Mercury Lounge show! Hi everyone! Smiles and happiness all around! This is cortney! I just wanted to let you all know how totally amazing last night's ML show was! By some (rather large) miracles and a few beautiful twists of fate, I was able to make it to New York to see this amazing show! (A million thanks and hugs to Brooksie, if ya ever need a favor, just ask!!) Anyway, we got there early to pick up our tickets and were waiting outside the door when who should walk by, but none other than John Linnel and John Flansburgh!!! They sauntered into the entrance, only inches away from me! Well, being first in line, we got the best spots in the house once inside...right up against the stage! Literally front row center! And the show was phenomenal (I know I spelled that wrong!) They played bunches of new songs (They got Lost, Reprehensible, SEXXY, XTC vs. Adam Ant, Certain (?not too sure on the name?), Unforgotton, Faker, etc.) and I totally can't wait until these babies are released! Oh!!! And they also did something which they haven't done in a looooong time...'Spin the Dial!' Flansburgh took a radio and randomly spun the dial to a song, and They started playing it! If they didn't know all the words, they just made them up as they went along! It was great! They also did a Carol King song ("I feel the earth move under my feet, I feel the sky come tumbling down...") All in all, I could not have asked for a more perfect and amazing night! I hope all of you guys have the oppurtunity to see such a great TMBG show at least once in yoru lifetime! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 08:31:01 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: things... If you feel like starting your own list, that's fine. Just don't assume that we're all dying to get on. At the end of "See the constelation", if you turn it up real loud, you can hear this totally different song that sounds like a carnival song. Liam ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:41:54 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: Re: space ghost! You said that cartoon planet was on at 3:05 on TBS. I looked it up and it said scooby-doo was on at that time. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 12:09:00 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: space ghost! Josh Younger wrote: Subject: Re: space ghost! > > You said that cartoon planet was on at 3:05 on TBS. I looked it up > and it said scooby-doo was on at that time. > Either way, you win.......... grd ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:20:23 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Hrm...*sniff* see you guys later... Hey guys, I am off for the weekend to judge an Odyssey of the Mind Tournament. I just wanted to comment that I value this list because we occationally do get off the subject of TMBG allowing us to see just a lil' bit more of how each of us obsessive fans acctually think. I myself see no need for a limitted list, but agree that if you want to read only about TMBG another list may be needed because all those messages about nonlist material can get rather repetitive. Anyways, I haven't been on this list long, but I must say I enjoy it a great deal and get a kick out of reading my e-mail. It's kinda nice to get to my computer and have 50 messages. I think the world would be a much happier place if it was run by people who listen to TMBG, we seem to be of a superior sort:). -Joyce Frost, the psychotic poet crazed by dandelions... "There's a place for those who love their poetry, right across from the sign that says "Pros Only"..." -TMBG ------------------------------ Subject: Re: lyric questions Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:29:33 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of milk: >i have a question about the lyrics to james k. polk, and i remeber someone >posting them a while back. what do they say after austere, severe... in the >second verse? Austere, severe, he held few people dear. His oratory filled his foes with fear. The factions soon agreed, "He's just the man we need To bring about victory Fulfill our manifest destiny And annex the land the Mexicans command." And when the votes were cast, the winner was Mr. James K. Polk, Napolean of the Stump. (from memory; errors mine.) ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: "Christian Holt" Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 12:32:18 +500 EST Subject: Re: Last night's Mercury Lounge show! > They played bunches of new songs (They got Lost, Reprehensible, SEXXY, > XTC vs. Adam Ant, Certain (?not too sure on the name?), Unforgotton, > Faker, etc.) and I totally can't wait until these babies are released! Hear hear! Last night's show (though adversely affecting my Biology grade in a roundabout way) was incredible! I saw them two weeks ago at the Mercury, and this show was very spontaneous, and real John & John! > Oh!!! And they also did something which they haven't done in a looooong > time...'Spin the Dial!' Flansburgh took a radio and randomly spun the > dial to a song, and They started playing it! If they didn't know all > the words, they just made them up as they went along! It was great! Watching Flans' reaction to a few of the potential candidates (as he passed by them on the dial) was interesting, too... > They also did a Carol King song ("I feel the earth move under my feet, > I feel the sky come tumbling down...") All in all, I could not have Someone wanted Flansburgh to "sing like a woman" or something like that (I only caught half of what went on there...) and he did the Carole King songs very realistically, complete with hand motions! It's also impotant to note that this became the "running gag" of the night... anywhere there was a little drum solo or blank spot or whatever in a song, Linnell would suddenly bring this 70's disco-y kind of piano thing in... VERY neat. Anybody else out there remember anything about the concert I forgot? Thanks, --Chris ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:46:49 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Re: A bunch of stuff > One more thing, concerning all the commonalities in TMBG fans. I > noticed that their was a film major on the list. Both me and my other > TMBG friend are also heavliy interested in filmmaking. Any one else out > there? I'm a cinema studies minor, which I suppose isn't really fimmaking, but if I'm successful in transferring, I'll immediately make a super-8 remake of Soylent Green :/ "Soylent green is people, it's PEOPLE!!!" ps. If enough folks are interested, I suppose I could host a little pre-concert fete for the Champaign show (which is in Illinois, by the way) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 12:48:31 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: lyric questions On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, milk wrote: > i have a question about the lyrics to james k. polk, and i remeber someone > posting them a while back. what do they say after austere, severe... in the > second verse? > i think it's "..he held to be, the leader..." is that right? --Fran AKA the Vinnegut Vassal ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 12:45:59 EST Subject: Mighty Mighty Bootlegs OH!!! Disclaimer: not about TMBG, but I need your help. My friend Kristin's birthday is coming up, and I was wondering if any of you lovely people had Mighty Mighty Bosstones Bootlegs. It would make her Mighty Mighty Birthday. Thanks. I'm looking everywhere for them, and I thought I would use the opportunity of knowing this mass group of humanity to my advantage. Thanks again. Hey Craig, write me and let me know what's up with this radio show thing, o.k.???? :-) Boba Out II. -Matthew Ondrey, whose face is a paper white mask of evil MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "BUT YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ME, BECAUSE I HAVE A SPECIAL JOB" "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:53:35 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Re: lyric questions > also, i realize this isn't a camper van beethoven list, but i know several > of you like them so... in the beginning of take the skinheads bowling, do > they really say 'every day, i get up and pray to john/and he increases the > number of frogs by exactly one'? because that's almost what it sounds like. I think its "every day, I get up and pray to Jah...", the god of those wacky reggae-lovin'Rastas... ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 13:58:40 -0500 Subject: Re: Last night's Mercury Lounge show! The general running theme of all the shows at the Mercury Lounge has been disco. Last week, they had that disco joke running, too. And not just through the first set, but the second as well. And the "sing like a woman" joke was pretty rampant during last week's (second) show, as well. Flasnburgh joked that his vocal part in the Back to Skull version of Hotel Detective was actually just a woman (or a tape of a woman) singing behind the curtain. Methinks THeY're just getting carried away since they added (the new) Hotel Detective into their set list. Either that or they've been hitting that coffee pretty hard. My friend Bruce got some pictures of Flansburgh's many facial expressions during "Spin The Dial." I can't wait to see them, for I agree that they were more than amusing. (Especially his eyebrows.) Since I went to at least one show every Thursday this past month, I'm going to feel lost next week. I'll find myself wandering in the area of Houston and Ave A looking for THeM. And darn it all, they won't be there. I'm not complaining. I understand that I've been lucky. Please don't hate me for feeling a small sense of loss, tho. Love, Brooks. P.S. Once again. If you were at last night's early show and someone gave you candy (gummi worms, cinnamon gummi bears, or jelly beans), that was me. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 14:15:05 -0500 (EST) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: space ghost! On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Josh Younger wrote: > You said that cartoon planet was on at 3:05 on TBS. I looked it up > and it said scooby-doo was on at that time. we all have to remember: time zones! their three o five could be your six o five, or vice versa. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 14:24:46 -0500 (EST) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: A bunch of stuff On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, some unknown person wrote: > One more thing, concerning all the commonalities in TMBG fans. I > noticed that their was a film major on the list. Both me and my other > TMBG friend are also heavliy interested in filmmaking. Any one else out > there? I am! That's cool that somebody else out there is actually into it...last week, as I was talking to my friend Brie, she said that she and I should use our skills to chroma-key her into a They Might Be Giants video...fulfilling her dream in a very generic way :) Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 13:19:30 -0600 (MDT) From: WorldWide Skull Subject: Re: Space Ghost > I was watching that supremely hilarious show Space Ghost Coast to Coast > the one where he does his talk show. I swear at the end they have changed > from No One Knows my pLan to End of The Tour now! It sounds like it anyway. > They don't play much of it so I might be wrong. Anybody know? In about the middle of December, my roommate and I were watching the tail end of Space Ghost, and I was watching the credits, and it said something like, "They Might Be Giants made pretty music." Only half of my attention had been on the show until that point, and suddenly, I started listening to the music that was playing, and it took me a while to pinpoint it, but, yes!, it was End Of The Tour! Actually, it was End Of the Tour's chords, and that was about it, because there was no singing. I guessed it was just another recording of it. Mark Melville ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 14:46:33 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: Re: A bunch of stuff > > On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, some unknown person wrote: > > > One more thing, concerning all the commonalities in TMBG fans. I > > noticed that their was a film major on the list. Both me and my other > > TMBG friend are also heavliy interested in filmmaking. Any one else out > > there? > Mememememememe! I've decided that if whatever I end up doing with my life doesn't have something to do with film or television or something along those lines, I shall be very bored. Ummmm...just to keep this one on topic, They Might be Giants. -jenny, who is suddenly feeling very old. geriatric unit old. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 18:22:04 -0500 Subject: Re: Last night's Mercury Lounge show! In a message dated 96-03-29 14:08:30 EST, Brooksie2@aol.com writes: > >My friend Bruce got some pictures of Flansburgh's many facial expressions >during "Spin The Dial." I can't wait to see them, for I agree that they were >more than amusing. (Especially his eyebrows.) > Here's a suggestion, find someone with a scanner, or get the pictures on one of those photo cd things and then have someone plaster them all over the web at the ftp at the unofficial (if the want 'em) and I'd definitely put 'em up at my site indefinitely ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-90 *****************************