Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 92 Monday, 1 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: film-o-rama and Linnell Re: Linnell Re: your mail 120 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-91 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-91 BTS,WDTSS (none) girl, you'll be a woman soon.... Many mixed thoughts TMBG Fingertips Re: TMBG Re: Fingertips Look I can be anon too Re: TMBG syncronicity Mississippi Nights Show- very wacky. Re: syncronicity Re: syncronicity favs Re: syncronicity/ what is 23 footsteps? TMBG in-store!!!! Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 03:26:42 -0500 Subject: Re: film-o-rama and Linnell I too am a film major, as Brother Bejezus divulged. (A junior at NYU.) So, now that we know about each other, my fellow TMBFilmmakers... what are we going to do about it? For further planning knowledge, I'm most interested in film editing, and I don't want to direct. Ever. > I was watching that commercial with the guy who is called about the contest > in which the answer is Aaron Burr and I find taht he reminds me of Linnell > for some reason. I've had the same feeling while watching that commercial. I always wrote it off to the "James K. Polk"/Aaron Burr slightly obscure American history connection. But then I have a tendency of finding Linnell-clones in the strangest places. I've seen Flansburgh clones, too, but only at TMBShows. (fancy that) Love, Brooks ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 07:15:55 -0500 Subject: Re: Linnell In a message dated 96-03-30 23:42:42 EST, afn37647@afn.org (Amanda Gayle Douberly) writes: > >This is going to sound so lame, but when I was younger I always got >Flansburgh confused with Elvis Costello. He still sort of reminds me of >John F...don't know why. Probably just the glasses, I can see where they have a slight resemblence ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: your mail Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 10:31:39 -0800 (PST) > > On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Anonymous wrote: > > > > > This May sound stupid, But who are they might be Giants. > > > > > It does. > I truly wish this person is joking... a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ From: Tartiest@aol.com Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 14:42:45 -0500 Subject: 120 Thay were on the special twice and mentioned once more on the special thanks list. It made my day complete Tarty who still can't get the smile off her face ------------------------------ From: BSchr56965@aol.com Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 14:53:12 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-91 this whole list is pretty cool --- but i'd really like to see more tour dates than what are posted on the official sight....... if anyone can offer any suggestions i'd really appreciate it. thanx bob ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-91 Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 15:11:44 -0500 (EST) > this whole list is pretty cool --- but i'd really like to see more tour dates > than what are posted on the official sight....... if anyone can offer any > suggestions i'd really appreciate it. That's the list of all known tour dates direct from the booking agency. I'll try and find out if they are planning more dates in the near future. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: BTS,WDTSS Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 18:03:34 -0500 (EST) If anyone is interested I went to the record store today and they had brand new copies of Back to Skull and Why Does the Sun Shine there. I think they were $5.99 each. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 16:07:53 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) >This May sound stupid, But who are they might be Giants. Ahhhh....chhttt....eecht....can't....breathe!!!! Who wrote this? And how did you get the authur to be Anonymous? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 17:29:35 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: girl, you'll be a woman soon.... :))))))))))))))))))))))))) oh my. i have just experienced the most euphoric incident i could imagine. my first tmbg concert. yes, folks, copy shop clerk and i were 10-15 feet away from the johns, in a mass of lots of sweaty folks who could have easily broken our necks, and darn it, it was fun! this was a really good experience, due to the fact that the concert was in a really small gym, and so we had the chance to get really close. plus, they played a lot of new songs: (help me out soph, i'll remember what i can) The Johns Get Lost Counterfeit Faker (is it faker or banker????) something about a Rock Costume Shop And Now You're Getting Older SEXY there were a few others, but their names escape me..... *which songs do you think are the johns' favorites? i noticed that linnel was really getting into "spy"..... i do not regret driving over 300 miles round trip for this concert for one second..... and a huge thank you to MICHAEL LOKSHIN for introducing us not only to a neato coffee shop on the university of illinois campus, but also to an incredibly interesting game that involved a plastic camel..... still smiling in joy, aims `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` "I don't fall in love, I just fall." -Paul Sebold EAT KRILL FOR A BETTER AMERICA aimee elisabeth pflieger http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 18:14:26 -0500 Subject: Many mixed thoughts Hi there Here's some of my opinions: Space Ghost- I think the theme songs are defenitely TMBG, but did anyone ever consider that maybe Linnell is playing his keyboard during the show? TMBG clones- The guy on that honda commercial ( at least I think it was honda ) where the guy gets in a red car and comes back in casts reminds me o much of Linnell. They have the same hair, and Linnell got into a bike wreck in one of the Carolinas ( South? ) Anonymous- Probably some bunghole just looking for kicks, so he got a screen name, sent the message, and quit the name. Why, it could be any one of us! I'm sorry, no one could be that cruel. Also, notice that he has only sent that one E-mail, & never told us if he ( or maybe she ) was joking. Fingertips- On my Apollo 18 CD Fingertips starts on track 17 and the last one is 37. I once left my CD player on shuffle & forgot about it and I got the crap scared out of me when it played "Something grabbed ahold of my hand..." instead of "Dig My Grave". About DMG, wouldn't it be cool if someone played it on the ukelele (sp?) ? Should you worry when the Skull head is in front of you or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go? JaN+sChMAn, the ugly scarecrow with broomstick arms ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 02:10:01 +0200 Subject: TMBG From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) Organization: Replay and Company UnLimited Just kidding!!!! Look at the capatolized letters ------------------------------ From: "Justin W. Smith" Subject: Fingertips Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 18:26:34 -0600 I don't remember exacly where, but in some country (maybe Australlia) = Fingertips was all one track due to a mixing error. See the Discography = for more info! ~Justin~ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 20:05:05 -0500 (EST) From: Chief Jokester Subject: Re: TMBG On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Anonymous wrote: > > Just kidding!!!! > > Look at the capatolized letters > > Ummm. I guess that I didn't think that was funny. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 12:18:09 +1000 (EST) From: Jason Harper Subject: Re: Fingertips On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, Justin W. Smith wrote: > I don't remember exacly where, but in some country (maybe Australlia) Fingertips was all one track due to a mixing error. See the Discography for more info! ~Justin~ > Yep, fairly sure it was. Jason ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 31 Mar 96 20:24:33 -0800 From: Anonymous Subject: Look I can be anon too does that .sig look familiar, of course, I'm not the same person who posted the other two, but I thought this might be fun... duh, this may sound dumb, but who's TMBG? Hey everybody check out my webpage at http://that.one.net/~A_User_Name/some.html it's very -- me who wishes the voices would stop ignoring me and start talking to me instead of each other because it is very annoying to be ignored by them who seem to have nothing better to do than talk to each other in my head while me gets very lonely ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: TMBG Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 17:30:38 -0800 (PST) > > On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Anonymous wrote: > > > > > Just kidding!!!! > > > > Look at the capatolized letters > > ahaahh. <> AHAH! Now I get it... a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 19:11:28 -0800 From: bartush@ix.netcom.com (MATTHEW W BARTUSH) Subject: syncronicity With all of the "what I like" lists appearing lately, it seems odd to me that no one has mentioned the brilliant and hilarious Robert Anton Wilson. Is it just me, or are there more of us out there? Bringing me to my point, anyone who may have read a book or two by Wilson will know of the strange phenomenon surrounding the number 23. This reminds me of a TMBG story I read years ago, and I'm wondering if anyone else knows anything about it. Apparently when John & John were first starting out, one of there first shows was when they were both 23 years old, they played 23 songs, there were 23 people in the audience, and it may have even been the 23rd day of the month. Has anyone else heard this story? I read it in a flyer handed out during a FREE show in San Francisco back in 1990 (yes, They do have fans on the West Coast). Also, has anyone else spotted any eerie coincidences with TMBG and the number 23? ("not that anyone but me even cares...") Matt in Sacramento ("If it wasn't for disappointments I wouldn't have any appointments") ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 21:53:18 -0600 From: Mitch Fishman Organization: Association for associated associates Subject: Mississippi Nights Show- very wacky. First of all, I don't know if you 'net junkie's know this, but if you have a 28.8k or faster modem, you can hear TMBGs Urbana-Champaign show LIVE!! at http://www.webxfm.com/ okay, and ALSO regarding the Fingertips, as far as I know, only the Exported version of A18 has fingertips as one track, not any U.S. version okay, and the Mississippi Nights in TMBGs "favorite city" of St. Louis show is as follows: opened: Celery (I know the band! what a perfect show!) a REALLY fun/funny band who got called to open an hour AFTER I went to wait in line) then TMBG the cast: Linell-green tee with pocket, stubble, his cons Flans- Ramones tee, cons, encore he changed into a World famous Blue Jays tee Brian-- couldn't see- some white tee w/ a film reel on it Grahm Maby- a generally "Flans" long sleeve striped shirt Eric ?? - (guitarist who played only 1/4 of the songs) Spider (they love that!) led into Istanbul S.E.X.X.Y. Particle (I guess they wanted to get the "required" songs out of the way) She was a Hotel Detective (Flans goes, "This song I sing like a girl") NyQuil a COOL song called 'Certain' on the set list Guitar (they had a cool jam at the end) Ana new song - Unforgotten new song - Faker Spin the dial okay, then they get out this clock radio, plug it in, start channel surfing, play along w/ some of the songs they almost played "I'm just a girl" (No Doubt) but found "love me tender" Love Me Tender (flans didn't know all the words so he started singing about the next song) SenSurround 'Drag' Reprehensible XTC vs. Adam Ant <--- COOL!!! 'Older' (Flans started playing and he messed up and goes, "sorry, I fucked up" and everyone started cheering and I yelled "Explitives Rock!" and Linnell said very deleberately, "yeah, we really fucked up that song" Sleeping in the flowers 'Spiral' (sorry- for the LIFE of me, I can't remember the name!)(Flans was talking about doing soundtracks [this one is for Kids in the Hall, as you may know] and Linnell goes, "all we have to do is figure out a way to get into sports, and we'll be loaded" Flans says, "Yeah, we're getting more money from these movie deals, we're working our way up.. we're gonna do..." "Jurassic Park 2!" I yelled "Yeah- Jurassic Park 2" said Flans Spy (awesome solo by Eric, then Flans directed the soloing, once again, bringing in the 1300 people in the audience to help) Dig My Grave Encore1: TMBG got lost driving around (Linnell introduced it like they JUST wrote it on the way down because he said they really DID get lost) Birdhouse(another "requirement" fufillment) Sun (St.L loves that song for some reason!) Encore2: James K. Polk (Linnell said it was new for everyone but him-- it was good with a full band!) Snail Shell Twisting WHEW! sorry to be so long winded.. but WHAT A SHOW!!!! AHHH! Mitch -- Mitch Fishman mitchf@mo.net srpescado@aol.com Creve Coeur, MO 63141 http://walden.mo.net/~mitchf ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 22:05:35 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: Re: syncronicity Well, 23 is just 32 reversed. Ummm. There being 32 footsteps and all. Ok, kids, never mind. -jenny, who gets to see Trout Fishing in America in 3 weeks! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 00:41:16 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: syncronicity On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, MATTHEW W BARTUSH wrote: > Bringing me to my point, anyone who may have read a book or two by > Wilson will know of the strange phenomenon surrounding the number 23. This is truly amazing!! Although I have never read any of his books, I am fully aware of the incredible and mythical properites of the number 23. It happens to be my favourite, spiritual, etc. number. The number 23 appears many times in our natural universe...for example: There are 23 pairs of chromosomes in a human cell The earth is tilted 23.5 degrees The number of molecules in a mole (NOT the animal) is 6.023x10^23 (the number 623 has even more significance to me...you'll find out why soon) A parsec is 3.26 light years (623 backwards) I will be 23 years old in three weeks Jupiter's four largest moons have diameters ranging from 2300 to 3200 miles (2300 backwards) The TMBG 1985 demo tape has 23 songs My friend's rent is $623/month (I'm not making this up!) The moon orbits the earth at 23,000miles/hr (I'm not sure if this is the right speed, but it IS 23 something) There are 32 moons in our solar system (23 backwards...like 32 footsteps) And of course...on June 23, 1989 (06/23/89), the greatest movie of all time was released into theaters!! Name the film...win a prize! I'm sure there are many many more naturally occuring instances of the numbers 23 and 623. I don't think anyone fully understands the power of these two number, and I'm not sure we will ever be able to unravel their mysteries...but I do beleive that there is some cosmic link between every creature, every phenomenon, and every inexplicable event to the number 23 and/or 623. Case in point: the following story: > Apparently when John & John were first starting out, one of there first > shows was when they were both 23 years old, they played 23 songs, there > were 23 people in the audience, and it may have even been the 23rd day > of the month. Has anyone else heard this story? I read it in a flyer > handed out during a FREE show in San Francisco back in 1990 (yes, They > do have fans on the West Coast). > Although I have never heard this story before, I don't doubt for a minute that it did happen this way. Truly an amazing number! Alex...who needs to get out more. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: favs Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 02:20:49 -0500 (EST) I don't know about the Johns but Brian Doherty sure did seem to enjoy playing the glockenspiel when they played Shoehorn with Teeth! I think Flans gets a kick out of introducing the band too. Well, we have our 15 (maybe 16) people ready to get tix for the e-town show! I can't wait! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 22:11:50 -0800 (PST) From: "No. 10 Can of Steam" Subject: Re: syncronicity/ what is 23 footsteps? If you really want to get into it (apologies to those who don't--I'll make this brief), the true significance of the number 23 is that its digits add up to 5 (2+3). Thus the power of such numbers as 32, 10 (2*5), and 17 (23-5) comes from the Law of Fives, which as stated in my .sig comes directly from the _Illuminatus_ trilogy, co-written by Robert Anton Wilson. Read the book sometime; it'll expand your mind. Or search for "Illuminatus" on the Web. Incidentally, Robert Anton Wilson did a free book signing in San Francisco this weekend at the Anarchist's Book Fair. I didn't go, though. Never whistle while you're pissing. Jason Weiner * Stanford University * discord@leland.stanford.edu %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "There is nothing special about the number 5." -- my Calculus Book. "Correctly formulated, the Law of Fives is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator." --Hagbard Celine ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Apr 1996 02:00:38 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: TMBG in-store!!!! Everyone! THEY will be live at Ernie's Club Twang (inside Periscope CDs and Tapes) on Tues April 2, at 2 PM. And it's FREE!!! -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and the Mono Puff CD...a more complete collection to follow. :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-92 *****************************