Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-93 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 93 Tuesday, 2 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Fingertips Re: A18 (was Re: Lincoln lyrics) Re: Ok, I find this weird Re: Linnell, 120 mintes, E-town Digested Boba Mail: E-Town Madison concert.... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Etown tickets Film majors! Flans resemblence show tonite Demo tape.... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Re: syncronicity, 23? 42? Re: Many mixed thoughts Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Re: new songs Re: Linnell Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Philosophical Ideas Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Concert in Madison tmbg fan trend list Realaudio TMBG concert on THE WEB 93.5 new lead guitarrist I GIVE, HELP ME GET THERE.../Happy April Fools Day... Number 23 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Re: Number 23 Re: Philosophical Ideas Re: Linnell Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 (b-day math) People who look like Them. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Returned mail: Host unknown (fwd) Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Re: Realaudio TMBG concert on THE WEB 93.5 Space Ghost Re: Demo tape.... Re: Philosophical Ideas Re: Realaudio TMBG concert on THE WEB 93.5 NU concert Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Administrivia Madison, A night of Ecstacy Re: Administrivia Re: Returned mail: Host unknown (fwd) That web concert 'n stuff HELLO Club Groovy trumpet thing REVIEW: Northwestern U Concert 30 March 1996 [long] Re: Madison, A night of Ecstacy Re: A bunch of stuff Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Re: Space Ghost Re: REVIEW: Northwestern U Concert 30 March 1996 [long] Etown show Re: Etown show Re: REVIEW: North... ...1996 [long] (Jim Polk) Re: REVIEW: Northwestern U Concert 30 March 1996 [long] TMBG on 120 Minutes Re: Fingertips (I'm an Australian) This trivia question another unrelated to TMBG thing Re: Returned mail: Host unknown (fwd) Real Audio Re: This trivia question TMBG fans who are also filmmakers. (huge) PLOTS (of land) Re: Anon joke Re: Returned mail: Host unknown (fwd) Re: (huge) PLOTS (of land) Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 13:15:30 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Fingertips On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, Justin W. Smith wrote: > I don't remember exacly where, but in some country (maybe Australlia) Fingertips was all one track due to a mixing error. I think it was the UK (of course) and Australia. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 08:29:15 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: A18 (was Re: Lincoln lyrics) > > Where did you get your copy from? My (and everyone I know's) copy has all > > of Fingertips in one large chunk of song. If you've got individual tracks > > on your CD, then I think you've got a very special copy indeed. > > > > I think it was at either Musicland or Camelot Music... The Fingertips are supposted to be seperate tracks. There is nothing specail about a CD with the the fingertips as seperate tracks. It was intended that way 'So you could put your CD in Shuffle Mode and enjoy the collage of music' - John Flansburgh. Thats why on the back of your a18 cd it has from track 18 - 36 (i think thats it) as Fingertips and track 3whatever is Space Suit. Now if your fingertips is one track, then thats something special. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 08:32:12 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Ok, I find this weird > On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Anonymous wrote: > > > This May sound stupid, But who are they might be Giants. > > I hope they are joking...if they don't know who TMBG are, then how would > they have gotten this address? Damn, its probally that lady from Track 15 on Misc. T. They proablly took out an add in the Village Voice (I think thats the paper) about this list and they probally advertised it as a personal add or something. Thats what that reminds me of. 'Whos they may be giants?' 'I took off the intelluctuals and put on There may be Giants' ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 08:38:53 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Linnell, 120 mintes, E-town > Hello, > I was watching that commercial with the guy who is called about the contest > in which the answer is Aaron Burr and I find taht he reminds me of Linnell > for some reason. I have yet to find anyone who reminds me of Flans though. > Well kinda. He remindned me more of Steve Bushemi in Ed and His Dead Mother. But from time to time I tought Bushemi looked like Linnell (well maybe a little). BTW Did anyone watch that 120 Mintue Special Yesterday. If you didn't all it had was Them singing at the Begining 'There's just 120 minutes left to the show'. The rest of it was kinda of a dissapointment because 120 minutes was supposed to be a show where littler known bands got thier videos played but they ended up mostly playing Mainstrem crap like they usually do. (I would hardly call Nervana, Red Hot Chill Peppers, Live, etc littler known). So basically it was a waste of time Reminder - Elizabeth Town tickets go on sale today!!!! ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:09:26 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail: E-Town >I don't know about the Johns but Brian Doherty sure did seem to >enjoy playing the glockenspiel when they played Shoehorn with Teeth! I noticed that when They played the 'Burgh. >Well, we have our 15 (maybe 16) people ready to get tix for the e-town show! I'm going too!!! ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Madison concert.... Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 08:21:35 -0600 (CST) Went to the Madison concert last night.... Had a damn good time... I met one of my friends there who I hadn't seen in a really long time, and that was quite amazing... (BOOM there she is..."hi, how are you?....") Fav songs for the night: XTC vs. Adam Ant & They Got Lost.... Those songs just completely blew me away... I was happy beyond comprehension. During one part of the show (anyone else see this?) Flans held a radio up to one of the mics, and played along with a few songs that happened to be on the air at the time. (How do They find keys like that???) They also spent one of the songs just completely fooling around... Nobody really knew what Linell was doing (including everyone on stage at the time), but it was quite cool.... Hmm.... That's all my brain can remember right now, because I got in at 2 this morning, got a few hours of sleep, and I've been studying for my Set Theory test all morning.... Have a nice day, all! -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Apr 1996 09:45:08 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 WooHoo! I'm really excited about all the new giants' tunes....now i just need to make it to a show. Any guesses to when the new album will be released? Oh, and I've been trying to get my hands on a couple of things for a very long time with no luck. They are : the '85 demo tape, Linnell's State Songs, and JF's Mono Puff (the first one). If anyone would be willing to make me a copy of these, I would be extremely thankful (esp. of the demo tape). Nathan Todd (Linnel) *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu As my own individual and conscious mind: I control my destiny. I access my innermost thoughts and emotions. I manipulate the external world. In general I am the most powerful force in my existence. I AM GOD. *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:48:58 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Etown tickets I'm sure everybody cares, but I just finished ordering my Etown tickets. They should be arriving in the mail next Monday!!! What a deal! Eight bucks!! Can't beat it. Last time They came to Toronto (Oct. 1994) I had to shell out something like $25 (or maybe it was $23...to keep the 23 thread going), well worth it anyway, but I'd rather pay $8. Well, I'm pretty damn excited! Hope to see all the list people there under Nola Weaver's neon sign! Only 11 days left...and counting. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:50:44 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Film majors! I too am a film major. More accurately, my major is Film/video studies. I've tried to take as much video production as possible, and now I am 1 month away from graduating and am looking frantically for jobs. -Sean's gotta get a job. He's got to get some pay. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:52:03 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Flans resemblence I think that the actor playing Peter in the XTC video "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" bears a resemblance to Flansburgh. Anyone agree? -Sean ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: show tonite Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 10:02:45 EST anyone else going to the vogue in indy to see them tonite? farside ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Demo tape.... Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:50:24 -0600 (CST) I'd like to add my name to the list of people seeking out this mysterious '85 demo tape... And I suppose any other assorted oddities that anyone might have lying around somewhere... Thanks muchly! On a side note, you wouldn't believe how ecstatic my friend and I were last night when They started playing Spider... -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 11:38:09 -0500 (EST) From: Nola Weaver Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Hey, I want to know more about this 23 thing! I have always known there is s significance in certain numbers, and I had heard a little about 23 and 5, but I have been piecing some things together with my friend here. Sorry, it's not really about TMBG. Mail me privately to chat about it so we don't bother anyone who's not interested. My birthday 1/11/77 adds up to 17 my best friends birthday adds up to 25 when I went to college my best friend's room was 230 Okay, these things are not necessary Okay, I apologize to those of you who don't care. We all have to do it once in a while. :) her name was Nola she was a showgirl ------------------------------ From: "Christian Holt" Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 12:12:47 +500 EST Subject: Re: syncronicity, 23? 42? > > Bringing me to my point, anyone who may have read a book or two by > > Wilson will know of the strange phenomenon surrounding the number 23. Yes... but are there any They connections to the number 42? (42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything. The question, however, remains a mystery...) (In Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!) --Chris Etc. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 13:03:48 -0500 Subject: Re: Many mixed thoughts In a message dated 96-03-31 18:23:15 EST, Jantschman@aol.com writes: >Anonymous- Probably some bunghole just looking for kicks, so he got a screen >name, sent the message, and quit the name. Why, it could be any one of us! >I'm sorry, no one could be that cruel. Also, notice that he has only sent >that one E-mail, & never told us if he ( or maybe she ) was joking. > My theory is that they used Netscape and just entered the name under options, it's just about the simplest way ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 13:27:42 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 In a message dated 96-04-01 11:46:20 EST, nweave1@zeus.towson.edu (Nola Weaver) writes: >My birthday 1/11/77 adds up to 17 yeah well my birthday 1/9/81 is the same as 1981, isn't that cool? hmm... 19 nh nnnhh nnnhh nhh nhh nh 19 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 12:33:31 -0600 (CST) From: Brian Tutterow Subject: Re: new songs I was at the Mississippi night concert on March 29. They played 12 new songs which included They Might Be Giants got Lost Driving Around, and XTC vs. Atom Ant. Both of which are EXCELLENT songs. One of the Jons said not to by any of the soundtracks to movies since all those songs would be on their new album. So it looks like a new album is in the future somewhere!! _______________ Brian Tutterow On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > > Could somebody list all of the new songs they have been playing > > this year? I'm curious as to how many new ones they have made. > > I wonder when the new album will be out (is this still rumor or > > definite?) > So far I have heard: > Spiraling Shapes and The Joker but with upcomming concerts who knows? > And I still think the new album is just a rumour. > > ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Linnell Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 15:05:02 -0500 (EST) > > Hello, > > I was watching that commercial with the guy who is called about the contest > > in which the answer is Aaron Burr and I find taht he reminds me of Linnell > > for some reason. I have yet to find anyone who reminds me of Flans though. > > > > Well kinda. He remindned me more of Steve Bushemi in Ed and His Dead Mother. But from > time to time I tought Bushemi looked like Linnell (well maybe a little). I agree, I like Buscemi. He was good in the Hudsucker Proxy and Reservoir Dogs too! And he looks quite a bit like Linnell sorta. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 14:07:33 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 > In a message dated 96-04-01 11:46:20 EST, nweave1@zeus.towson.edu (Nola > Weaver) writes: > > >My birthday 1/11/77 adds up to 17 > > yeah well my birthday 1/9/81 is the same as 1981, isn't that cool? hmm... 19 > nh nnnhh nnnhh nhh nhh nh 19 > Would someone tell me what kinda of math thier using? ------------------------------ From: "Adam Ant" Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 14:16:27 +500 EST Subject: Philosophical Ideas A while back there was a posting of "deep" Tmbg lines. I feel that the deepest of the deep, the truest of the true is without a doubt: " I never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed!" What about the rest of ya'll Dan ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 14:12:14 -0500 (EST) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 > In a message dated 96-04-01 11:46:20 EST, nweave1@zeus.towson.edu (Nola > Weaver) writes: > >My birthday 1/11/77 adds up to 17 uh, I know this is extremely unimportant, but how does that add up to 17? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 13:27:35 +0400 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Concert in Madison The concert in Madison was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They played so much of the same stuff that they did when I saw Them in NYC. It was cool to hear it all over again. For those of you who were able to make it to the concert, I was the one in back who knew the words to They Got Lost, which is a GREAT song! :) (That is if any of you could hear me singing...) hehehe My voice is shot now, but that's OK. I also yelled for Particle Man right before they played it because one of my friends has eyes good enough to see the set list from where we were. I could have sworn, though, that when they played Counterfit Faker in New York it was A LOT different. It wasn't country-like.... It was a WONDERFUL show though!!! :) Have Fun!!!! Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 13:36:10 +0400 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: tmbg fan trend list OK, everybody... Here is the list that you all should vote on. These were all the contributions to what I got. Here is what you do: Vote for 20 of these that you think TMBG fans all have in common. (this is besides TMBG of course because that's obvious) This does not necessarily mean your personal favorites, but what you and your TMBG pals also tend to talk about other than TMBG. After you have figured your 20 (yes, I know this is a long list) then mail them to me (no particular order) and I will take counts on what has been voted on the most. I will then come up with a top 20 list based on that, and that will be the TOP 20 THINGS TMBG FANS HAVE IN COMMON. Does that sound good? Also, if you have any other friends who are not on the list who like TMBG, feel free to send them a copy and have them e-mail me their votes. Everyone has until April 10, because then is when I will be posting the results. :) Have Fun!!! Ana Ng P.S. Remember to send ME your votes kerrel@uwec.edu subject the mail votes or something... :) THE LIST: Enya Sting Classic Rock PEZ The Police John Waters old movies TMJ Alien Nation A Clockwork Orange James Dean Twin Peaks Dean R. Koontz Lemonheads Ionesco Frank Zappa Wayne's World Welcome Back Kotter Twizzlers NoFx John Travolta George Michael Who's Line is it Anyway? SKA The original muppet show The Maxx Tori Amos Punk Soul Coughing cerebus The Beatles Beck sandman Tom Lehrer King Missile NIN Nirvana Jim Henson Fez ER The mighty mighty bosstones Charlie Brown John Woo XTC Weird Al Animaniacs Broadway musicals SCTV Douglas Adams Star Wars photography blues Star Trek Bad Sci-fi baked beans coffee The Tick Warner Bros. cartoons Jimmy Buffett Piers Anthony 80's music 80's television Pink Floyd marching band Seinfeld Beastie Boys Tom Petty Fraiser chicken marsala Stephen King 10,000 Maniacs MST3K plaid sneakers old SNL (75-79) bad 80's movies Braveheart Dead Poets Society LA Story peanut butter dictionaries Toad the Wet Sprocket talk shows The Temptations Emily Dickenson Lewis Carroll The Simpsons Simon & Garfunkel October Tim Burton Danny Elfman James Cameron Cheers Tne Big 80's on VHI Max Headroom Stanley Kubric Paul Rubens Elliot Goldenthal Ridley Scott Clint Eastwood Jaws Calvin and Hobbes David Lynch Manga in general TV Nation Evil Dead II Peter Jackson Dave Barry Rush Jackie Chan Chow Yun-Fat Superman Mr Floppy The Streets Of San Francisco Theme from Space: 1999 Nabokov 70's Punk John Wayne Quentin Tarantino The State Steven Wright Chinese Ghost Story Movies TISM John Hughes ice cream cia Highsmith's Ripley novels Queen Primus Frente movies Elizabethan culture Fox Trot MAD the New York School poets Cinnamon Toast Crunch Talking Heads Devo Prime Suspect Robert Crumb Troma Movies acting Red Dwarf Rocky and Bullwinkle Bloom County Far Side The Brady Bunch The Posies Billie Holiday Laser Tag Disco everything! mozzarella cheese Quantum Leap Sliders New York City Smashing Pumpkins Highlander Italian food The Red Green Show John Christopher being a nerd! Ween C. S. Lewis Ned 'n' Stacy Black Adder Mr. Bean The Cat Who... books Fawlty Towers dandelions theater Ren and Stimpy Barenaked Ladies (band) philosiphy The Cure Zucker Movies the Princess Bride The Rugburns Mr. Roboto Steve Martin Movies Dr. Seuss German things Dr. Dimento Arthurian Lore Horse-Back riding The Blues Brothers writing augmenting children's books U2 (pre-zooropa) reading plays Doonesbury Calvin and Hobbes Athiesm/Agnosticism The Pixies Are You Being Served? Mentos Louis Armstrong Duct tape Making fun of Dr. Dre A Christmas Story fencing Shakespeare The Dark Crystal Moxy Furvurous Winnie the Pooh Scooby Doo harry connick, jr. ben folds five Sesamie Street Strange Luck classical music violent femmes The Electric Company Elastic Space Ghost Coast to Coast Pulp Fiction You can't do that on Television "Imagine" by John Lennon The Phantom Tollbooth The Adventures of Pete and Pete Making fun of "Spelling" productions ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 12:32:24 MST Subject: Realaudio TMBG concert on THE WEB 93.5 ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 http://www.webxfm.com/whatmusic.html The WEB 93.5 is broadcasting a realaudio version of the April 2 Champaign, IL concert over the internet. If they are also broadcasting in FM radio, it should be possible to get better quality tapes by recording this concert locally. Is anybody from Illinois willing to try this? I'm not sure that I can even get the AM quality realaudio to work by tomorrow! ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 13:51:27 +0400 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: new lead guitarrist OK, last night we met the new lead guitarrist of TMBG he seems to be the newest permanent member. His name is Eric or Erik (I'll spell his last name like it's pronounced) Skimmerhorn. He seems pretty cool, and it will be neat because they can use guitar harmonies now. :) Ana Ng P.S. What does everybody who's seen him think? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 12:56:36 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: I GIVE, HELP ME GET THERE.../Happy April Fools Day... Alight I am about to cry...It is so depressing to read all these messages about the concerts...I mean I am overjoyed you all get to see them, but I am about to go insane...so I am going to figure out a way to get to one of the concerts, what I am curious is does anyone here in NM or nearby wanna try and make a caravan to a concert sometime? Who knows I may be just dreaming again, but maybe not. I just know I have got to get to one. HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY...FEEL AT HOME TODAY! -Joyce Frost "Somebody's reading your mind, Damned if you know who it is..." -TMBG "If you are reading my mind can you write me a set of cliff notes please..." -Joyce ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Apr 96 11:58:18 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Number 23 Another theory on the number 23: On the way home yesterday to California from New York, my friend Gravy Dave and I came to the (perhaps harebrained) conclusion that Linnell's birthday may well be January 23. Consider: 1. The "daily home astrology report" in _Hide Away, Folk Family_ is read for Taurus and Aquarius. If you're into astrology, you will know that it makes perfect sense that Flansburgh would be the Taurus and Linnell the Aquarian. Besides, why would they have used anyone else's astrological signs? 2. The whole first show story (They having played 23 songs on Jan. 23rd before 23 people, etc.) was first perpetuated by Linnell, who I surmise has a fondness for gently pulling the legs of us devoted listeners (does anybody who saw the 2nd Mercury Lounge show on Thursday night REALLY believe that Robert Mitchum was the inspiration for "Particle Man"??). Since January 23 falls under the sign of Aquarius... well, you get the picture. Just a theory. What can I say, it was a LONG plane flight. Suzy B. "Standing in my yard, where they tore down the garage to make room for the torn-down garage" ********************************** ------------------------------ From: Naidee@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 15:30:06 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 In a message dated 96-04-01 14:30:08 EST, you write: >uh, I know this is extremely unimportant, but how does that add up to 17? must be that new math they taught us in the 4th grade ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 15:40:56 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Number 23 > Another theory on the number 23: > I thought I head somewhere that is is June 6th or 12th I forget which one tough. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Apr 1996 14:42:02 -0600 (CST) From: "Tasha E. Kelter" <00208045@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: Philosophical Ideas On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Adam Ant wrote: > A while back there was a posting of "deep" Tmbg lines. > I feel that the deepest of the deep, the truest of the true is > without a doubt: > > " I never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed!" Hi, i'm brand-new to this list and this is a good note to start out on SOOOOOO i think that the deepest TMBG line ever is "Everything sticks until it goes away" but that one's probably been used 900 times before - so if it has, forgive me. And wasn't it "I'LL never see myself...." if the line you're referring to is from "Dead" :) tasha ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Apr 1996 14:47:50 -0600 (CST) From: "Tasha E. Kelter" <00208045@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: Linnell On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I have yet to find anyone who reminds me of Flans though. There was a guy i had as a geography teacher in 12th grade (he was a moron though; thought that the Pitcairn islands were the PitCARIN islands but maybe that's getting a bit anal) and he looked just like Flans, acted like him too - sort of jerky but at times attempting to obtain that "extra savoir-faire" (Oh, boy, was that cheesy.) - Mark Ortiz if anyone's ever heard of him. When i walked in the first time, i thought, Oh, Christ, i have John Flansburgh for a teacher! Alas...he was just another idiot. :) tasha ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 15:58:39 -0500 (EST) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > > In a message dated 96-04-01 11:46:20 EST, nweave1@zeus.towson.edu (Nola > > Weaver) writes: > > > > >My birthday 1/11/77 adds up to 17 > > > > yeah well my birthday 1/9/81 is the same as 1981, isn't that cool? hmm... 19 > > nh nnnhh nnnhh nhh nhh nh 19 > > > > Would someone tell me what kinda of math thier using? > They are using standard addition - just adding up the separate digits. The first guy had 1+1+1+7+7=17, and the second had. 1+9+8+1=19. I'm 5+2+2+7+7=23. Go fig......... I fit the 23 theme. Odd.... I was supposed to be born on 6/23, but I was early.... That's enough babbling, 'Nette, who didn't realize that she had 23 until this writing. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ If I had a home page, it's address would be here. But I don't. Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 (b-day math) Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:01:52 -0500 (EST) Amanda Gayle Douberly writes (I think...): > > > In a message dated 96-04-01 11:46:20 EST, nweave1@zeus.towson.edu (Nola > > Weaver) writes: > > > >My birthday 1/11/77 adds up to 17 > > uh, I know this is extremely unimportant, but how does that add up to 17? 1 + 1 + 1 + 7 + 7 = 17, I assume ... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:02:30 -0500 (EST) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: People who look like Them. Well, my B/f looks like a skinny Flans, and the guy who lives across the hall looks like Linnel, sorta, but he has a goatee and shorter hair. Yes, I have controlled myself.... (well, not with the b/f, but I don't gloat about it.......) Oh well, thus ends a thought form, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ If I had a home page, it's address would be here. But I don't. Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 15:10:15 -0600 From: "jonas (my name is)" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 >> > >My birthday 1/11/77 adds up to 17 >> > >> > yeah well my birthday 1/9/81 is the same as 1981, isn't that cool? hmm... 19 >> > nh nnnhh nnnhh nhh nhh nh 19 >> > >> >> Would someone tell me what kinda of math thier using? >> >They are using standard addition - just adding up the separate digits. >The first guy had 1+1+1+7+7=17, and the second had. 1+9+8+1=19. I'm >5+2+2+7+7=23. Go fig......... I fit the 23 theme. Odd.... I was supposed >to be born on 6/23, but I was early.... frightening the number of times that this seems to happen, but my birthday also adds up to the mystical number 23... 6/3/77... very strange... pa23ul ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 15:12:33 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Amanda Gayle Douberly wrote: > > > >My birthday 1/11/77 adds up to 17 > > uh, I know this is extremely unimportant, but how does that add up to 17? > I know, it's the New Math...if you add 1 + 1 + 1 + 7 + 7, it makes 17. Have you taken the SAT yet? When you do, you learn how to look at numbers in a very skewed way. Ummm, I had a reason for writing...I did, I promise. I've really forgotten what it was, though. So I'll just say, to all you midwestern types, have fun enjoying the refreshing music of TMBG. At concerts and such. I've got to go to work... -jenny, who got a letter from a friend today using TMBG in an April Fool's joke against her...damn. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:14:27 -0500 (EST) From: Chief Jokester Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown (fwd) On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Christopher J. Kucera wrote: > I'd like to add my name to the list of people seeking out this mysterious > '85 demo tape... And I suppose any other assorted oddities that anyone > might have lying around somewhere... Thanks muchly! Add my name into this too. I want to hear MORE TMBG. Also, does anyone know who the 'anonamous' (sp!!) person was? Just asking. Does anyone know if any of They are on the list? Does that sound out there enough for a post from one of the Johns?> Just wondering...... Brendan Sullivan, Private Detective ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:23:41 -0500 (EST) From: Chief Jokester Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Amanda Gayle Douberly wrote: > > > > In a message dated 96-04-01 11:46:20 EST, nweave1@zeus.towson.edu (Nola > > Weaver) writes: > > > >My birthday 1/11/77 adds up to 17 > > uh, I know this is extremely unimportant, but how does that add up to 17? > > 1+1+1+7+7=17. Your all welcome. Brendan, the math major, Sullivan ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 16:32:31 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Realaudio TMBG concert on THE WEB 93.5 ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 9 > http://www.webxfm.com/whatmusic.html > > The WEB 93.5 is broadcasting a realaudio version of the April 2 Champaign, IL > concert over the internet. If they are also broadcasting in FM radio, it > should be possible to get better quality tapes by recording this concert > locally. Is anybody from Illinois willing to try this? I'm not sure > that I can even get the AM quality realaudio to work by tomorrow! How does this work? I can I just go to thier web site anytime tommorow and hear it? ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Organization: Agnes Scott College Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:37:09 EST Subject: Space Ghost Does anyone else think that TMBG shouyld have asked that Flans be allowed to dress up in the Space Ghost costume at the end of Cartoon Planet? He would have been a great SG-----much better than that weirdo who does it now!! Jennifer ############################################################ "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu ################################################################## ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Apr 1996 15:42:12 -0800 From: Moogle Boy Subject: Re: Demo tape.... Christopher J. Kucera wrote: > > I'd like to add my name to the list of people seeking out this mysterious > '85 demo tape... And I suppose any other assorted oddities that anyone > might have lying around somewhere... Thanks muchly! For anyone who is looking for a copy of the 1985 demo tape, I have a copy and I'm willing to trade for something. If you'd like to trade, send me an E-mail and let me know what you've got. -Jeff http://www.dragonfire.net/~Moogle/istanbul.htm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:51:02 -0500 (EST) From: Sungael K Im Subject: Re: Philosophical Ideas Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-Apr-96 Re: Philosophical Ideas by "Tasha E. Kelter"@bigred > > On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Adam Ant wrote: > > > A while back there was a posting of "deep" Tmbg lines. > > I feel that the deepest of the deep, the truest of the true is > > without a doubt: > > > > " I never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed!" > > Hi, i'm brand-new to this list and this is a good note to start out on > SOOOOOO i think that the deepest TMBG line ever is "Everything sticks > until it goes away" but that one's probably been used 900 times before - > so if it has, forgive me. And wasn't it "I'LL never see myself...." if > the line you're referring to is from "Dead" :) > > tasha Tasha, you're right it IS "I'll never..." from Dead. Anyway, I've always thought that the line, "In every jumbled pile of person there's a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of." was one of THEYir niftier lines. :) -Mike Im \|||/ (o o) ____________ooO_(_)_Ooo_______________ | | | Sung Michael Im | | sim+@andrew.cmu.edu | |http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~sim| | (412) 862-2398 | |______________________________________| ------------------------------ From: tanis@WPI.EDU Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:57:14 +0000 Subject: Re: Realaudio TMBG concert on THE WEB 93.5 > http://www.webxfm.com/whatmusic.html > > The WEB 93.5 is broadcasting a realaudio version of the April 2 Champaign, IL > concert over the internet. If they are also broadcasting in FM radio, it > should be possible to get better quality tapes by recording this concert > locally. Is anybody from Illinois willing to try this? I'm not sure > that I can even get the AM quality realaudio to work by tomorrow! Hey Hey!, what time is the concert going to be? I want to listen to it/ record it but I don't know what time it is going to be. They don't even say what time it is going to be on the web page! Wilbz (a.k.a Worthless in Worcester) P.S. You ever get the feeling that one day someone is going to tell you "April Fools!" and show you that your life is not really what you think it is. I guess I think that kind of often so for all I know the world might really BE a dress. (the opinion expressed here is induced by large amounts of sugar and in no way does the sponsor of this program take any responsibility for the idiocy of the writer). ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:17:01 -0500 Subject: NU concert Hey- did anyone go to the NU concert on saturday night? I heard of a few going, and I hoped I could be there but you needed an NU pass at the door damn oh well next time -kurt ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:21:51 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 >frightening the number of times that this seems to happen, but my birthday >also adds up to the mystical number 23... 6/3/77... Wowzas! Mine's 4/22/78 -- 4+2+2+7+8=23. Wierd. ObTMBG: I finally got around to updating the "Current Threads" section on the tmbg-list part of the website. I'm adding a list of new songs we've heard that may be on the new album. I'd appreciate it if those who've gone to concerts recently could check out that list and make corrections. I'm convinced that the Johns are coming to Champaign to spite me personally because I decided to go to UMich instead of UIUC... :-) I'll be listening to the webcast, though, assuming I can get RealAudio to work on my dad's computer w/ an Ethernet connection tomorrow night. See y'all there! +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:22:25 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Administrivia *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** To be posted twice a month on tmbg-list and tmbg-digest. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 3) The websites Leo and I maintain the Unofficial TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.org/ It contains lyrics, chords, song interpretations, the FAQ, the discography, links, and info on this mailing list. Try it out. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ Right now it's got tour dates. More to come. As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 16:10:28 PST From: asturm Subject: Madison, A night of Ecstacy I just thought some of you would like to know about my They might be Giant experience. Though I have been a fan for about a year and a half, this was my first time seeing them. I live in Stillwater, MN so the trip to Madison was quite a hike. 250 miles to be exact. By 10:30 Me and my buddy Josh were on our way. We amused ourselves by trying to find a decent radio station. and counting Mcdonalds, as well as how many times the word CHEESE appeared From Stillwater to Madison. Do you know that in Madison there is actually a place where you can get your VCR repaired and while you wait enjoy a nice block of Cheese. Well we got to the Econo Lodge and then went and tried to find Barrymore Theatre. We found it at 3:30. We cruised back to our hotel and while listening to 'Flood' watched 120 minutes and while we were watching these 2 guys come on the tele who looked awfully familiar It was John and John!! They did a little 5 second jingle for 'em but I thought it was just a freaky coincidence. After that we took off since it was General seating and got in line by 5 o clock. too bad doors didn't open until 6:30. Well It was A fun wait( we met some intersting people.. ) . we were like 10th in line. Well anyways the doors opened and we got after buying my THEY hat and Drunk bird shirt, walked into the theatre and seated ourselves in the 3rd row. just high enough so we could see over the mosh pit that was past the seats. Well eventually the thing was packed like sardines. and all the sudden everybody was quiet as out came, THE SWALES?!? who are these guys and why must they torment me with making me wait for TMBG they even ripped on our giants, damn them. so eventually our heroes came out (about 9:00) here's the Set list. Now youre Getting older Twistin' James K. Polk Ana Ng Hotel Detective (NEW) "we are going back to a simpler time, 1995" Subliminal Istanbul XTC vs. Adam Ant Spy "are you having some kind of latte party" Reprehensible Ok story break. After this song I saw Linnell pick up his accordian. this made me very happy so I yelled out "YEAH, ACCORDIAN!!" apperently Flans misheard me, he made fun of me by sarcastically saying "yeah Swear word, Swear word yeah." (He says Ass in Reprehensible.) this made me feel sad but yet cool at the same time since I made Flans say something to me, sort of. The Damage has been done Spin the Dial (featuring "Doctor, Doctor give me the news.... " and Band Intros to some made up song. ) Youre only happy when I'm sad Spider! Sensurround (My Favorite Song!) S-E-X-X-Y Don't Let's Start AKA Driver. (I like this song because, to Madison It's a just a 4 hour drive away!) Particle Man Sleeping in the Flowers First Encore Birdhouse in your Soul (YES!) Snail Shell The Guitair Second Encore They Might be giants got lost, Driving Around. Why does the Sun Shine. The Famous Polka (Flans passed around his guitair and then broke off all of it's strings.) Overall it was probably the best night of my life. I cant wait to see them again! If you wanna anything more about the concert, mail me. BTW I love Graham and Brian! I also cant wait for next week, Barenaked Ladies, then, Frank Black. I am so happy right now , I can fly off this concert for weeks. Bye. Your Friend RYaN sTUrm "Someone could just stab me in the chest right now and I would just laugh at them" ---- Me, after the Concert. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:31:16 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Administrivia Leo just notified be of a change in the Administrivia. I said: >If you have problems, send mail to . And that should be: >If you have problems, send mail to . Sorry if this caused any confusion. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Returned mail: Host unknown (fwd) Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:49:09 -0600 (CST) > Add my name into this too. I want to hear MORE TMBG. Also, does anyone > know who the 'anonamous' (sp!!) person was? Just asking. Does anyone know > if any of They are on the list? Does that sound out there enough for a > post from one of the Johns?> Just wondering...... As far as any word I've ever heard... No, they're not on the list. And I will explain the Anonymous thing.... There are places you can mail to that will send mail to you anonymously.... If you really care, check out the headers in that message, it's from a place like replay.com or something like that..... Tada! -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 14:49:23 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: That web concert 'n stuff I hope SOMEONE will be recording the webconcert... even though RealAudio is imposibble. As long as were on the numbers topic, I must enlighten you about 47. 47 is everywhere if you look for it. I literally see it every day. There is a official 47 website at http://www.delta-9.com/net47/47society/ It explains the origions and mysteries of 47. Oh, and a good deep TMBG line is "The truth is where the sculptor's chisel chipped away the lie". Liam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 18:20:56 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: HELLO Club Please help him out if you can. >Date: Mon, 01 Apr 96 21:52:22 0700 >From: "Jason A. D." >MIME-Version: 1.0 >To: jchaffer@tmbg.org >Subject: HELLO Club >X-URL: http://www.tmbg.org/main/other.html > >Hi, > >I'm writing this for a friend of mine in Spain. He sent in his credit >card number to the Hello club awhile ago, but has yet to hear from them. >As his English is good enough to understand Americans speak, he reaches >his wall when it comes to New Yorkers. Because this is the case, he has >asked that I call and ask what the senario is regarding his account. >Whenever I call the 800-HELLO number I only get the Flans recording. Do >you know a number I can call? Do you know if they ship to Europe? > >Any help would be valuable! > >Thanks a lot, > Jason > +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Groovy trumpet thing Date: Mon, 01 Apr 96 15:34:00 P When TMBG came to Seattle a few yrs ago, Linnell did the grooviest thing with his trumpet. If any of you out their play the Trumpet, you will appreciate this. He took 2 trumpets, yes count you 2 trumpets, and played them both at the same time. He was playing the melody on one, and the harmony on the other. He was perfectly in tune to. I'm not just talking whole notes here... he was playing really hard stuff. Anyways, just thought I would enlighten you all with that splendid little intelecual tibit to munch on. Chow for Now Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ------------------------------ Subject: REVIEW: Northwestern U Concert 30 March 1996 [long] Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 18:03:16 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts TMBG ROAD TRIP '96: NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY, EVANSTON ILLINOIS SATURDAY, MARCH 30, 1996 Myself (clad in my black "birdbrain" TMBG Tee and CDA blue ribbon) and friends Matt and Jen arrived at the Northwestern gymnasium at about 19:15 CST; the concert was scheduled to begin at 20:00. There was already about 30-40 people waiting to get in. We waited in the slightly chilly 40 degree weather until 19:45, when we were finally allowed in. We immediately seized choice spots around 5 "rows" back from the stage (it was general admission, and there were no seats.) The gymnasium seemed to have poor ventilation and was apparently well-heated, because as the people began pouring in, the temperature steadily rose into the 90's. The production company, A & O Productions, had "A & O Balls" for us to whack around while we waited, but some jokers apparently decided that it would be fun to see how much stage equipment they could destroy. I'm going to find them and kill them (oops, was that out loud? :) We sat and sweated until 20:20, when the opening band, Swales, came on. IMHO, they were not bad... but they weren't really that good, either. They seemed more akin to Barenaked Ladies than TMBG. They played a fairly long set; they finished at 21:11, at which point we got to bask in the glorious 100+ degree temperatures. Someone in the management finally figured out that giving the fans heatstroke was not exactly part of good "customer service", and two large stand-fans were turned on. This thankfully dropped the temperature back down to 90 degrees. The A&O people brought out the beachballs again, with a little speech on the importance of a ball-free stage. The first ball tossed was immediately whacked back onto the stage. In a fit of hypergenerosity, they gave us one more try. One, two, three hits, and the fourth was back on the stage. They took the ball and it never returned. After waiting 40 minutes in the sweltering heat (much as I did in the April 1994 concert at Bradley U in Peoria), They finally took the stage, first with Flansburgh (stage right*) playing a cute, simple lil ditty on his guitar. After one phrase, Graham Maby (stage center) joined in on bass. Linnell (stage left, wearing a HOBOKEN Tee, which I learned the next day is the home town of Swales) and Doherty (upstage center) completed the mix after that, with John L. singing this simple tune: OLDER You're older than you've ever been And now you're getting older, And now you're getting older, And now you're getting older. You're older than you've ever been And now you're getting older, And now you're older still. (I forget most of the second verse; I'm sure if I had a little help I could remember most of it :) Immediately after this, song, they thrust into "Twisting", followed by "James K. Polk". Now at this time, we were still in about the 5th or 6th "row". I mouthed all the words to JKP, and noticed Linnell stealing glimpses toward my side (we were slightly to the left of the center, on the opposite side from JL.) After the song, Linnell again looked my direction and remarked, "It seems we have some Polk fans out there." Before the new "She Was a Hotel Detective," John F. noted that "in this song I get to sing like a girl. And you get to figure out WHERE in the song I get to sing like a girl. Kinda like 'Where's Waldo'." Later, they played "No One Knows My Plan", and we formed several conga line segments. This was a mistake, as the place was packed far too tightly to permit motion (thus crushing one of my friends) and we lost our prime viewing location. Before "Reprehensible" (in which John L. did a fantastic job on his trusty clarinet - a real one, even, not the famous "Casio clarinet" he used for "Extra Savoir Faire" during the 1994 pre-John Henry tour), John F. admitted he lost his crib sheet for the song, and noted that "in this fine institution of higher learning, you all know how important a crib sheet is." After the first line, John F. stopped the rest of the band and insisted, "Let's start over from the top". During "Spin the dial", they tuned to a jazz station. The new lead guitarist, Erik(?) went absolutely nuts. He'll be a worthy addition to the band (though I hope we still get to hear Flans' "random jammin'" now and then). They played for about 1h20m, and played all (JF said "12") new songs. Both "Birdhouse In Your Soul" and "Snail Shell" were saved for the (single) encore. After the show I stuck around the front. I didn't get a set list, but did manage to get Linnell's (empty) coffee cup, so I now join the ranks of the few, the proud, the freaks on this list :) I tried to buy a setlist from a couple girls, but they weren't interested. :( A nonrandom exit poll revealed disspointment in Their new songs; I disagree with their opinions, though. Also, after the show, we went up to my friend Jon's dorm room on the 4th floor of McCulloch/Bobb. When we left, we passed a door that was COMPLETELY COVERED with TMBG stuff. I lingered for the few seconds I could, but was then dragged out to the car. I wonder if that individual is on this list. # fin # On the next episode of Chrispy Bongo Posting to The List: a review of the Sunday concert in Madison. *Stage directions are "real" stage directions; i.e. from the point of view of the performers. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 19:12:58 -0500 Subject: Re: Madison, A night of Ecstacy In a message dated 96-04-01 17:33:14 EST, you write: >The Famous Polka (Flans passed around his guitair and then broke off all of >it's strings.) I have a question for you all the fortunate concert goers, does Flans break his strings after every show? I noticed he did at the end of the House O' Blues show... And does Linnell break anything? :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 18:37:52 -0600 (CST) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: Re: A bunch of stuff On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Amanda Gayle Douberly wrote: > > > On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, some unknown person wrote: > > > One more thing, concerning all the commonalities in TMBG fans. I > > noticed that their was a film major on the list. Both me and my other > > TMBG friend are also heavliy interested in filmmaking. Any one else out > > there? I too am a film major, sort of. That is to say I will be as soon as I get out of junior college. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 19:28:24 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 >>8+1=19. I'm 5+2+2+7+7=23. Go fig......... I fit the 23 theme. Odd.... I was supposed >>to be born on 6/23, but I was early.... > >frightening the number of times that this seems to happen, but my birthday >also adds up to the mystical number 23... 6/3/77... > >very strange... > >pa23ul Wow, my b'day adds up to 23, too! This is getting kinda scary! 3/18/65 3 + 1 + 8 + 6 + 5 = 23! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 19:28:47 -0500 (EST) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Re: Space Ghost On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Jennifer Parker wrote: > Does anyone else think that TMBG shouyld have asked that Flans be > allowed to dress up in the Space Ghost costume at the end of Cartoon > Planet? He would have been a great SG-----much better than that > weirdo who does it now!! > The question is - does he really want to dress up as SG? For all we know, he'd probably wanna dress as fred Flintstone.... hey, fur, no pants, little loincloth under that shaggy thing...... someone stop me!! Oh well... Another mind fart from, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ If I had a home page, it's address would be here. But I don't. Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:39:37 -0800 (PST) From: "No. 10 Can of Steam" Subject: Re: REVIEW: Northwestern U Concert 30 March 1996 [long] On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Chris Bongaarts wrote: > > Immediately after this, song, they thrust into "Twisting", followed by > "James K. Polk". Now at this time, we were still in about the 5th or > 6th "row". I mouthed all the words to JKP, and noticed Linnell stealing > glimpses toward my side (we were slightly to the left of the center, > on the opposite side from JL.) After the song, Linnell again looked > my direction and remarked, "It seems we have some Polk fans out > there." You know, from the reports we've had of the most recent concerts, it seems that J&J decided to resurrect "Polk," thinking that barely anyone would know it, and that it would be a "new" song. Of course, They didn't realize that not only do we know and love it, but many of us have used it's information in various American History reports, without permission (paul swan, are you listening?). Maybe They planned for it to be on Their new album, since _Freaksicle_ fell through. Ha ha! Jason Weiner * Stanford University * discord@leland.stanford.edu %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "There is nothing special about the number 5." -- my Calculus Book. "Correctly formulated, the Law of Fives is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator." --Hagbard Celine ------------------------------ From: Ian Baum Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 19:53:20 -0500 Subject: Etown show I got my tickets to the April 12th show in Etown today. This will be my first TMBG show. I can hardly wait. If anyone will be their. I'm the guy with rings all over his body. Also in reply to Brendan about Linnel playing two trumpets. I don't know if you've heard of them, but, if you ever get a chance, check out Morphine. They are a really good band. And the horn player plays Baritone and Tenor Sax simultaneously for several songs. He is quite amazing. Ian (sorry I can't have cool sigs like the rest of you @#$% NeXT computers) ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Etown show Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 19:22:10 -0600 (CST) > (sorry I can't have cool sigs like the rest of you @#$% NeXT computers) I'm using a DEC morkstation running Ultrix..... -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 20:26:01 -0500 Subject: Re: REVIEW: North... ...1996 [long] (Jim Polk) In a message dated 96-04-01 19:49:46 EST, discord@leland.Stanford.EDU (No. 10 Can of Steam) writes: > Of course, They didn't realize >that not only do we know and love it, but many of us have used it's >information in various American History reports, without permission speaking of this, I used it for trivia against my History Teacher, I said "Do you know what James K. Polk's nickname is?" he said "No." I said "Napolean of the Stump." he said "Makes sense." anyway on the subject of the song, the line that says something about him not trying to seek a second term isn't true because he tried very not to let Zachary Taylor become popular in the Mexican War, and then did run against him and lost.... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 20:25:58 -0500 Subject: Re: REVIEW: Northwestern U Concert 30 March 1996 [long] In a message dated 96-04-01 19:13:57 EST, Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu (Chris Bongaarts) writes: > Linnell (stage left, wearing a HOBOKEN Tee, which >I learned the next day is the home town of Swales) that is also the town in which Barnone records (They's old company) is located, I wonder if the "Swales" are on Barnone too... there's a good way to find out, but I'm not that anal.......................... >They played for about 1h20m, and played all (JF said "12") new songs. that means about 6-8 more and then comes the album, WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO, oh wait, I forgot They need 3 or 4 besides for b-sides (look, it rhymes) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:38:18 -0800 From: anakin@smartlink.net (Nick Hatton) Subject: TMBG on 120 Minutes hello, I recorded 5 hours of 120 Minutes off MTV on Sunday, and I was wondering if anyone was watching and could tell me when(if) Thet were on. I think that we've...you know? Have had this problem, where we, we try to do something interesting and new and it comes off... as weird, you know? But we're not about being weird, and once you're familiar with what we're doing it's not weird at all, you know? It's just... It's just something interesting and new. -John Linnell geek code ver 3.1 --begin geek code block-- go d- s+:+ a? c++++ w++ n++ o-- w+ m-- ps+ pe y++ t+++ 5-- x+++ r++ tv++ b++++ di+++ d++ g e* h! r% !x+ --end geek code block-- ------------------------------ From: Jon Mann Subject: Re: Fingertips (I'm an Australian) Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:11:34 +0930 (GMT) > > From: "Justin W. Smith" > Subject: Fingertips > Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 18:26:34 -0600 > > I don't remember exacly where, but in some country (maybe Australlia) = > Fingertips was all one track due to a mixing error. See the Discography = > for more info! ~Justin~ So does this mean I can return my CD and get a new one (with the Finger-shuffle) on it? I always wondered why my copy didn't shuffle properly. It's kinda like buying a new record as soon as it comes out, and then they go and put out a Tour edition (ala John Henry over here). Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be a devoted fan... :] --Jon ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 22:02:40 -0500 From: seakin@umich.edu Subject: This trivia question > And of course...on June 23, 1989 (06/23/89), the > greatest movie of all time was released into theaters!! > Name the film...win a prize! Hmm, would that be Batman? -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 22:44:28 -0500 From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: another unrelated to TMBG thing thanks to everyone who recommended ben folds five. i love them almost as much as i love TMBG (but not quite). but on a TMBG subject, does anyone know what time the web concert starts tomorrow? i finally have realaudio working. thanks again. jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Apr 1996 22:14:52 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: Re: Returned mail: Host unknown (fwd) I have a friend that goes around and sends people Anonymous email with stupid questions, and he has done it to me. But I have NEVER given him the address to the mailing list, I have not even told about it. If I found out it is him, I'll smack him with a yard'o beef and raw spam. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 22:20:50 -0600 (CST) From: Devin Nix Subject: Real Audio Hello all: Does anyone know if I can get the conciert with a 14.4 connection instead of 28.8? I would really enjoy it, but I think I'm gonna have to miss it because of the speed... d. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 23:31:16 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: This trivia question On Mon, 1 Apr 1996 seakin@umich.edu wrote: > > And of course...on June 23, 1989 (06/23/89), the > > greatest movie of all time was released into theaters!! > > Name the film...win a prize! > > Hmm, would that be Batman? > Hmm...it would indeed! You win a lifetime supply of llama fat. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 22:41:42 -0600 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: TMBG fans who are also filmmakers. I'm a filmmaker too! Dig it? Scott ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 00:00:28 -0500 Subject: (huge) PLOTS (of land) I've got an idea, since it seems that just about everybody on the list (or at least the ones who haven't been sitting around for months waiting to get up the courage to send their first message in) is in film making we all have to become famous, make major film productions and insert billions of subliminal messages so that we can either take over the world and get the Johns to rule or maybe just get everybody to see ( 8| ) the brilliance of They............. hhhmmmmmmmmmmm, I smell I Pinky and the Brain plot... me wot cries over spillt milk er sumting lika dat (disregard my nervousness, disregard my vacant stares) (my logic, my logic tells me, "never gonna happen," and my defenses say, "didn't want it anyway," but you know, sometimes I'm a liar) ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Anon joke Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 21:34:30 -0800 (PST) > > > > > Just kidding!!!! > > > > > > > > Look at the capatolized letters > > > > > > ahaahh. <> AHAH! > > > > Now I get it... > *I* don't, and it's annoying! I feel rather dumb, what's the joke? > Jneely, I'm sorry for making you feel dumb. The "I get it: part was pure sarcasm. I was annoyed as you about this blasphemic post <>. a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Returned mail: Host unknown (fwd) Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 21:36:26 -0800 (PST) > And I will explain the Anonymous thing.... > There are places you can mail to that will send mail to you anonymously.... > If you really care, check out the headers in that message, it's from a > place like replay.com or something like that..... Tada! Anyone that has a shell account or something can change their name to "Anonymous" easily! The command is "chfn". (Change full name) That's probably what s/he did. a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 01:30:13 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: (huge) PLOTS (of land) On Tue, 2 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > I've got an idea, since it seems that just about everybody on the list (or at > least the ones who haven't been sitting around for months waiting to get up > the courage to send their first message in) is in film making we all have to > become famous, make major film productions and insert billions of subliminal > messages so that we can either take over the world and get the Johns to rule > or maybe just get everybody to see ( 8| ) the brilliance of They............. > hhhmmmmmmmmmmm, I smell I Pinky and the Brain plot... > > me wot cries over spillt milk er sumting lika dat > > (disregard my nervousness, disregard my vacant stares) > > (my logic, my logic tells me, "never gonna happen," and my defenses say, > "didn't want it anyway," but you know, sometimes I'm a liar) > Yeah, I'm a filmmaker also, and in fact I have tried very hard to insert as much TMBG as possible...but my greatest achievement is my unpublished novel which spins a weird satirical fantasy tale heavily and obviously influenced by the *experience* of listening to TMBG. I'll let you all know when (optimistic ain't I) it comes out. The key to finishing this book (which took three years) was to play John Henry over and over and over again as I pounded out the tale and the words just poured out and it is all thanks to John Henry and TMBG. I hope they let me reprint some of their lyrics, 'cause they are in the manuscript and I will never let them be removed... Mike. http://yucc.yorku.ca/~alex still under construction but worth a look ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-93 *****************************