Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-94 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 94 Wednesday, 3 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: syncronicity Re: Linnell Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 Tonight's UIUC Concert Re: Realaudio TMBG concert on THE WEB 93.5 Re: Realaudio TMBG concert on THE WEB 93.5 Re: REVIEW: Northwestern U Concert (Swales label) RealAudio Concert INDIANPOLIS CONCERT Why Must I be sad / RealAudio Concert Math Re: dual trumpets Religion, _Flood_, & Themes from _Flood_ Numerology Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 HELLO Club indy concert RE:Two Trumpets Re: Linnell Re: Tonight's UIUC Concert Re: Numerology Re: the mystical birthday number 23 NO WAY!!!! RA concert tonight Hello.. Re: Numerology Re: Tonight's UIUC Concert That rilly kewl 23 thang RE: does John L break anything? 23 More on 23 i decided biology wasn't where i wanted to be today..... they might be weasels oh yeah Eliot Goldenthal spin the dial breaking calm Tonight's UIUC Concert Real audio tmbg Re: indy concert Tony? voting/ TMBG fan filmmakers I Almost Killed They Might Be Giants! :( spin the dial Re: Real audio tmbg Re: Tony? Good stuff Re: Good stuff Hmmmmm... They Might be Damned... Re: syncronicity Re: Hmmmmm... Birthdays RealAudio concert tonight Re: Hmmmmm... listening to Urbana! all ready to bootleg baby! Rareities, 42, 23, Trumpet Thing Re: People who look like Them. Re: Numerology Re: Good Stuff (AGES) Re: Math Everybody else is doing it...and I'm a follower. (none) The LIVE concert over RealAudio Web Concert Real Audio concert shows For all those who asked..... Real Audio concert Jen Curses Her Stupidity... Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:37:19 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: syncronicity On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > I hope this isn't Batman > > WE HAVE A WINNER!! But somehow, your answer doesn't fill me with hope. > Did you not like the film?? I can understand if you didn't...lots of > people didn't, but for me, it makes my life worth living (after TMBG, of > course). It was okay, but to call it the best film ever is a bit of an exaggeration. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:40:14 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Linnell On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I agree, I like Buscemi. He was good in the Hudsucker Proxy and > Reservoir Dogs too! And he looks quite a bit like Linnell sorta. When was Steve Buscemi in the Hudsucker Proxy? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:01:22 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 On Mon, 1 Apr 1996 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > >>8+1=19. I'm 5+2+2+7+7=23. Go fig......... I fit the 23 theme. Odd.... I was > supposed > >>to be born on 6/23, but I was early.... > > > >frightening the number of times that this seems to happen, but my birthday > >also adds up to the mystical number 23... 6/3/77... > > > >very strange... > > > Wow, my b'day adds up to 23, too! This is getting kinda scary! > > 3/18/65 > > 3 + 1 + 8 + 6 + 5 = 23! Hey, my birthday is 28/08/74. And it adds up to: 2 + 8 + 8 +7 + 4 = 29 Oh. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 07:24:20 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Tonight's UIUC Concert I'm going to try to catch the concert tonight via RealAudio, but could someone in the Champaign-Urbana area tape it off of the radio? If you're going to the concert, have a friend tape it for you. I'll make it worth your while. Also, it's been said before, but what time does the concert start? Thanks much. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 07:41:20 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Realaudio TMBG concert on THE WEB 93.5 > From tmbg-list-owner@tmbg.org Mon Apr 1 17:33:40 1996 > From: tanis@WPI.EDU > Hey Hey!, what time is the concert going to be? I want to listen to > it/ record it but I don't know what time it is going to be. They > don't even say what time it is going to be on the web page! > I talked to the guy at the station and he said the opening band will go on at 8pm Cenetral time. (9pm est). And the opening band should be on for 1 hour and a half (so for those of us that don't have it working can use the opening band to get it perfected). ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Realaudio TMBG concert on THE WEB 93.5 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 08:53:45 -0500 (EST) apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) writes: > > I talked to the guy at the station and he said the opening band will go on at 8pm > Cenetral time. (9pm est). And the opening band should be on for 1 hour and a half > (so for those of us that don't have it working can use the opening band to get it > perfected). > I saw them last night in Indianapolis, and the Swales played for less than an hour, then TMBG took the stage about 15-20 minutes later... ("Start time" = 8PM, real start time = c. 8:10-8:15, TMBG start time = 9:25) m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: REVIEW: Northwestern U Concert (Swales label) Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 08:58:20 -0500 (EST) > From: Ruprecht76@aol.com > > > that is also the town in which Barnone records (They's old company) is > located, I wonder if the "Swales" are on Barnone too... > Yes, they have an album on Bar/None. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:10:13 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Bird Subject: RealAudio Concert Hi gang... Well if all goes well, I'll be listening to TMBG over the RealAudio thingamabob tonight. Can someone answer a semi-technical question for me? Can the broadcast be saved to a file? I seem to remember seeing RealAudio sound files strewn about the net....anyway, the point is, I can get this thing over a fairly fast ethernet connection, so I'd be willing to mail this file (WARNING: it will probably be *BIG*) to a few people on the condition that they make tapes (I have no tape deck capable of recording at present) and distribute them via tape trees or whatever to those not fortunate enough to hear/see the show. Hooking a sound out jack from a computer to a stereo should make a pretty high quality recording. Please reply to me personally if you have the capabilities and are interested in helping me with this. Bob -- Robert Bird "Mammal, mammal...Their names are called, rbird@utk.edu they raise a paw: the bat, the cat... University of Tennessee dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog..." http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:53:10 -0500 (EST) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: INDIANPOLIS CONCERT Hey, I hope everyone had fun at the Indianapolis concert last night. My heart fluttered a bit, knowing they were there, and all my old friends were there, and you were there, and I was not there. This is the first time I have NOT seem Them whey They have played in Indiapolis. WHy? Because I am in NEW JERSEY NOW! Miss Joni who lives just one hour from Brooklyn now! (yeah, yeah...and I KNOW now I am closer to NYC, but....well...sentiment goes a long long way....) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 10:16:12 -0500 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Why Must I be sad / RealAudio Concert This realaudio connecrt sounds cool. But I was not able find a computer with enought bandwidth to recive the broadcast at a listable qulaity. I know this because I tried thisa last night, on three different computers two with ethernet connections, but alas it sounded like crap. I was able to hear most of prom for this show. Well that's my rant, Does anyone think the TMBG may be comming by DC this summer? -- Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/ The Unoffical Pritchard Web Site & Mailing List Admin Check it out @ http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/pritchard/ Powered By FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org "I don't know whether I'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar" -TMBG ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: Math Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 10:34:15 EDT >1+1+1+7+7=17. Your all welcome. > Brendan, the math major, Sullivan ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ | | I can tell you aren't an English major :) -- John ------------------------------ Subject: Re: dual trumpets Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 10:47:26 EST From: Fred Boak Organization: WordStock, Inc. Hi - I just wanted to delurk for a second and say that I'm pretty sure it was Flans who used to play two trumpets at the same time. I'm pretty sure I've never seen Linnell play anything but keyboards & reed instruments. Flans used to play tuba in the old duo & tape deck days, too. - Fred. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:02:00 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Religion, _Flood_, & Themes from _Flood_ Ben or Been here. Perhaps many of you have already analyzed this aspect of the release that They Might Be Giants put out in 1990 called _Flood_. This post concerns the theme of religion on that album. It seems that almost every song in some way makes a statement on the subject, and I wished to point your electric noses in the direction of the religious references. On occasion I draw some unfounded conclusions, i.e., I have no support that backs up my claim. I hope that any of these conclusions you deem "not worthy" do not disturb you into not considering the conclusions drawn by the whole of this post. In other words, if you disagree with one point, I hope you do not decide that the ideas of this entire post must be unworthy. If you get tired of this long post, at least read the last song interpretation. Well, that's my introduction and disclaimer. Now I proceed. ****************************************************************************** The Religion of TMBG's _Flood_ A Brief Analysis by Ben or Been Hauck I shall move song by song in this, so you may follow along with your liner notes. i. Title of album. The name of the album is _Flood_. I will show in this post that there is a dominating theme of religion in this album, and that _Flood_ proves to be an apropos name. Why? I think of the story of Noah and his Ark, a story with a religious tinge. 1. Theme from Flood Lyrics to watch: Why is the world in love again? Why are we marching hand in hand? Why are the ocean levels rising up? This thirty-second song deals with love and social harmony (Why is the world in love again?/ Why are we marching hand in hand?)--two subjects religions often consider. Love and social harmony are on the rise like water levels in a flood--so goes the song--because of They Might Be Giants and their album. Perhaps because TMBG is covering the topic of religion on the album, the religious aims of love and social harmony are becoming satisfied--religious messages are disseminated. 2. Birdhouse in Your Soul Lyrics to watch: Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch/ who watches over you Make a little birdhouse in your soul After killing Jason off and/ countless screaming argonauts Bluebird of friendliness/ like guardian angels its/ always near The religious theme of the guardian angel pops up much in this song. Some "one" "who watches over you" will protect if you if you keep "it" close to your soul. The Jason and the Argonauts reference adds a mythical touch. And, of course, there's the explicit guardian-angel reference, which compares it with the bluebird nightlight. 3. Lucky Ball & Chain Lyrics to watch: Sure as you can't steer a train/ you can't change your fate [I admit, that's a stretch] This song does not explicitly deal with the topic of religion, I must admit. There is, however, the theme of divorce, a topic of special treatment in many religions. The song reveals one man's perspective on the topic--perhaps to show the consequences of divorce (drinking, solitude, argument, song-writing!) and then back up religious opposition to divorce (?). The fate-not-changing element may hint at the religious persuasion of this character of the song--In what religion are the members taught that they cannot change their fates? 4. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Lyrics to watch: Why they changed it I can't say/ People just liked it better that way I don't know the religious implications of the name-change of Constantinople. I need some history enthusiasts to help me here: Wasn't Constantinople a religious "headquarters" in its heyday? Was its name changed perhaps because of religious reasons? Or, did people just like it "better that way"? 5. Dead Lyrics to watch: I came back as a bag of groceries I didn't apologize for when I was eight/ and I made my younger brother/ have to be my personal slave The religious theme of afterlife is definitely here, true? As for the apology reference, did the bag of groceries regret not doing a few Hail Marys? 6. Your Racist Friend Lyrics to watch: But I feel like a hypocrite talking to you Listen to some bullet-head/ and the madness that he's saying Can't shake the devil's hand/ and say you're only kidding Moral implications abound: Don't wanna be a hypocrite, Don't wanna associate with a racist, Don't wanna listen to his madness, etc. The bullet-head to me sounds like a fanatic, i.e., religious fanatic, as if the racist preaches his racial views like religion. The devil's handshake reference seems certainly religious, moral--can't say racist things and then act as if you we're sincere in the beliefs they suggest. 7. Particle Man Lyrics to watch: Triangle man, Triangle man Triangle man hates Particle man Universe man, Universe man Usually kind to smaller man Triangle are often thought to represent the religious Trinity. Hatred is often preached against--ironically, often preached against with hatred (but I digress). The Universe man certainly fits into some perspectives on the subject of God--but then again, so do Person man, Particle man, Tree Hugger man, and the others. (For your information, I do not consider myself religious.) The religious implications of "Particle Man" have been debated on earlier Digests, and I note that Linnell supposedly did not intend for Triangle man to "be" the Trinity or anything. Religious implications have been debated, and I'll just leave it at that. 8. Twisting Lyrics to watch: [none] Again, we could look at this song's subject from a moralistic view. What do you think of lynching? setting goldfish free? keeping records? tapes? The list goes on. The most powerful image to me in the song is with "She wants to see you again/ See you twisting in the wind"--what kind of Evil is this? 9. We Want a Rock Lyrics to watch: If I were a carpenter I'd/ hammer on my piglet [...] Jesus supposedly practiced carpentry. Also, if we take the playhouse as an old church (as the Mansfield (Ohio) Playhouse is an old church), and see the "everyone" as members of the church's denomination or sect, then perhaps the religion pours forth. The "everyone" in the song becomes "religious followers"--wanting rocks with string, wanting foreheads, wanting the good life so St. Peter says yep, etc. Wanting the right things to be honored by God. Perhaps people disagree with this interpretation. 10. Someone Keeps Moving My Chair Lyrics to watch: Mr. Horrible But before he can talk to the ugliness men Sounds somewhat satanic in nature to me. I can envision the devil at his desk, feet propped up, thumbing through pages and pages of the report on the Damned, and being bothered by ugliness men. Not Triangle men, not Universe men, but ugliness men. And only the Annoying can appear in Hell--no one can be satisfied. That is, the Devil can't get comfortable in his easychair; someone has to keep *moving* it. He'll never know who. "We're just trying to bug you/ We thought that our dreadfulness/ might be a thing to annoy you with." 11. Hearing Aid Lyrics to watch: Don't say the electric chair's not good enough This is another one for which I'd have to stretch to make the religious connection. Perhaps it's another morality song: the morality of suicide, as in "Don't say the electric chair's not good enough [for me]," which pretty much means "Say the electric chair's good enough [for me]." The morality of letting someone go lonely, like Frosty the Supervisor--the character turns off his hearing aid to him. And, the morality of coffee--messing up the body. Why mess up the body? "Because/ Because." 12. Minimum Wage Lyrics to watch: [none] Beats the Hell outta me. And because it beats the "Hell" outta me, therein lies the religion. 13. Letterbox Lyrics to watch: And I'll never know what you never never/ want to know when you know/ what you are, O. I don't think I even *get* this song, so I acknowledge that I am probably among the most unworthy individuals to analyze it. If I understand the above lyric, perhaps that heavenly "O" points to a religious subject, and then "never knowing" has something to do with never knowing about some divine subject, god, cow, etc. Whatever. 14. Whistling in the Dark Lyrics to watch: A woman came up to me and said/ "I'd like to poison your mind/ with wrong ideas that appeal to you/ though I am not unkind" "There's only one thing/ that I know how to do well/ and I've often been told that you only can do/ what you know how to do well/ and that's be you,/ be what you're like,/ be like yourself,/ and so I'm having a wonderful time/ but I'd rather be whistling in the dark.["] A man came up to me and said/ "I'd like to change your mind/ by hitting it with a rock," he said,/ "though I am not unkind" Another song it looks like to me that deals with religious fanataticism, or we could call it a die-hard desire to convert non-believers. Poisoning and head-bashing with a rock (or anything for that matter) could seem like extremist attempts to get another to belief as one does. And tatooing some religious thought on one's bald head definitely seems to me like extreme--that woman almost wants to convert people by hypnotizing her with her image! The song much resembles "We Want a Rock," with its forehead and rock references, and the fanaticism. 15. Hot Cha Lyrics to watch: Left the bathtub running over,/ stereo on and cooking bacon Drink and cook the prodigal son/ Fondue forks for everybody I don't know the story of the prodigal son. But it has a religious significance as proven by debates of the religious themes on earlier Digests. As for the bathtub and bacon, I dunno--bacon is a form of pork; walking on water perhaps in a training tub? Or, does "Drink and cook" pair up with the overflowing bathtub of *water* (to *drink*) and the *cooking* bacon? The religious parallels are left to the past debates. 16. Women & Men Lyrics to watch: Women & Men Two by two they enter the jungle/ and soon they number more This song definitely deals with procreation. The gigantic ocean reminds me of the story of Noah's Ark, and thus of the album title _Flood_. The "two by two" idea is also Arkistic. Love spreads as the semen does. (pardon the sexist comment) 17. Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love Lyrics to watch: Bullets through the atmosphere/ here they come. John, I've been bad and they're/ coming after me,/ done someone wrong and I fear/ that it was me I get a feeling of some evil spirits come to take whichever John away. After doing a naughty, they're comin' to take me away hee hee they're comin' to take me away. The bullets then one could think of as the objects that will kill the particular John (hey, they come from the "atmosphere"!). Fry in Hell, John--Pure Love my foot. 18. They Might Be Giants Lyrics to watch: They might be brain/ They might be washed They might be fake/ They might be lies/ They might be big, big, fake, fake lies This is the song in which John & John take an agnostic's view of God. They in effect say, "We can't *know* about God: It might be this, or It might be that. I think it important that they accentuate at the end "big, big, fake, fake" because to me it seems that they see religion as a big, fake, brainwashing lie. God might be a giant. It might be in the rain. It might be in the snow. It might be a tabloid. It might be bald. It might be the group They Might Be Giants--The Ambassadors of Love. 19. Road Movie to Berlin Lyrics to watch: We were once so close to heaven/ Peter came out and gave us medals/ Declaring us the nicest of the damned **You said you were the king of liars/ And I believed you and called you sire/ But I realize now that I've been deceived Religion as a lie? John *might be* hinting at something big and fake. And St. Peter, the guy that shows up in the next TMBG song, "Dig My Grave"? Could _Apollo 18_ be the next mission, toward understanding the universe? Or need we a folk perspective toward understanding our existence, like the tale of _John Henry_? _Lincoln_ didn't lead us like the president toward understanding; the paranoia of the pink album got us nowhere either. Perhaps therein it lies: A Self Called Nowhere. At the end of the tour. At 25 O'Clock. Where we fall down the spiralling shape. What's the new full-length album? Perhaps _The Empire of the Empirical_? Or, _I Mean, No_? Or, _John-Paul Sartre Henry_? I send you my love encased in sapphire, Ben or Been The meaning lies in the person. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:54:34 -0600 (CST) From: Weasel Subject: Numerology Okay everyone..... We're obviously all fascinated with the number 23, and now even the number 17. Fine. Then I guess I'll just let it be known that my birthday is 7/20/77 7+2+0+7+7=23 Look, I'm part of the mystery as well! Wow! What do you know! - Weasel Weasels like Giants! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 10:53 EST From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-92 On Mon, 1 Apr 1996 M.M.Iles@reading.ac.uk wrote: On Mon, 1 Apr 1996 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: >> >>8+1=19. I'm 5+2+2+7+7=23. Go fig...... I fit the 23 theme. Odd.... I was >> supposed >> >>to be born on 6/23, but I was early.... >> > >> >frightening the number of times that this seems to happen, but my birthday >> >also adds up to the mystical number 23... 6/3/77... >> > >> >very strange... >> >> >> Wow, my b'day adds up to 23, too! This is getting kinda scary! >> >> 3/18/65 >> >> 3 + 1 + 8 + 6 + 5 = 23! > > Hey, my birthday is 28/08/74. And it adds up to: > > 2 + 8 + 8 +7 + 4 = 29 > > Oh. > > > Mark Well, the problem with all you young whippersnappers, (and you old whipper- snapper, Mark) is that you have Too Many Numbers in your Birthdates! Mine is 01/05/70, 0 + 1 + 0 + 5 + 7 + 0 = 13 And then 1 + 3 = 4, which is my lucky number! See, the secret about 23 has not yet been mentioned, because no one has taken that crucial next step. 2 + 3 = 5. Haven't we mentioned the Rule of Fives on here? Q.E.D.T.M.B.G. :) -J.L. Siftin'.... Siftin'..... Siftin'....!! ------------------------------ Subject: HELLO Club Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:26:54 -0500 (EST) From: "** j e n **" To the guy asking about another Hello Club number, If you leave your number on ther machine with your name, problem, etc. I'm pretty sure an operator will get back to you. ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: indy concert Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 11:30:48 EST i too went to the indy concert and found it to be inordinately groovy. they played a song called 'on the drag' i believe. has anyone else heard this one? i can't remember anyone else mentioning it. funniest part: flans was spinning the dial(sang some song that went 'can't you see, woman what you're doing to me' or something like that and then 'i only have eyes for you' only i don't think that was the actual song that was playing and it didn't matter anyway because flans didn't know the lyrics to either one and just sang about how he could sing so high.) and he came to the channel where they have that sex talk show(anyone know what i'm talking about?) well, right at the moment he turned it there, some guy said 'my main problem is that i can't get an erection'. the whole place lost it. Flans said 'we definitely don't know that one'. on the birthday thing: 4/26/74 = 23. cool, huh? i'm one of you. farside ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:33:01 +0000 Subject: RE:Two Trumpets In response to the earlier post saying that it was actually Flans who played the two trumpets: It says in the liners of John Henry that Linell is the one who does horns. Flans Might have done the Tuba earlier, but I'm pretty sure that it is Linell who does the two horns thing. Wilbz ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:43:58 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Linnell > On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > I agree, I like Buscemi. He was good in the Hudsucker Proxy and > > Reservoir Dogs too! And he looks quite a bit like Linnell sorta. > > When was Steve Buscemi in the Hudsucker Proxy? He was the bartender in the juice bar. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 11:14:13 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: Tonight's UIUC Concert Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > > I'm going to try to catch the concert tonight via RealAudio, but could > someone in the Champaign-Urbana area tape it off of the radio? If you're > going to the concert, have a friend tape it for you. I'll make it worth > your while. > > Also, it's been said before, but what time does the concert start? John et. al... The concert will not be on the radio tonight, it will be replayed "at a later date" I'm gonna bring a tape recorder to the show though, hopefully I'll get a good recording. The show starts at 8 PM CST. -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and the Mono Puff CD...a more complete collection to follow. :) ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Numerology Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:36:14 -0800 (PST) > Okay everyone..... > We're obviously all fascinated with the number 23, and now even > the number 17. Fine. Then I guess I'll just let it be known that my > birthday is 7/20/77 > 7+2+0+7+7=23 > Look, I'm part of the mystery as well! Wow! What do you know! > - Weasel > > Weasels like Giants! 02/20/79: 2+2+7+9= 20...but I WILL BE TWENTY IN THREE YEARS!! AHAHAHA 20 + 3 = 23! I DO BELONG! SOYLENT GREEN ... IS PEOPLE!!! a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 10:34:02 MST Subject: Re: the mystical birthday number 23 ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 5 I can't believe it! My birthday-digits also add up to 23 07/12/58 7+1+2+5+8=23 I wonder how common this is among list-members? ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:36:43 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: NO WAY!!!! 12/26/78 1+2+2+6+7+8=26!!!!! if i take the # of times that i've seen TMBG in concert (6) and divide it by the # of guys named John in the band (2) and take that number away from 26 and YOU GET 23!!!!! 26-(6/2)=23!!!!!!!!!! isn't this world a freaky place. mtfbwy daniel ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:05:22 +0000 Subject: RA concert tonight Someone posted that the concert is going to be played at a later date over the net, however the webx-fm web page says that they will be playing it live over the net tonight, and to check in at about 8 o'clock. For those of you who don't have the address yet. its; http://www.webxfm.com/ I'm sure we're all lookin forward to the concert. Wilbz ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:06:40 -0600 (CST) From: TomLeitl Subject: Hello.. Hey...anyone out there catch the Madison, WI show on Sunday one of the best I've seen in a while... I just got one quick question....What is up with this concert thing tonight...I know nothing about it..could someone fill me in please??? Another quick question...what's the deal with the 23 thing??? Vicky "Life is a placebo, masquerading as a simile" o o ^*\ "Life is a placebo, masquerading as a simile" /*^ / > < \ ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Numerology Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:06:50 -0800 (PST) > > Okay, so you belong to the elusive 23 group NOW. But in another year > your idea of 23 will no longer exist! You will be outcast from our 23 > clique. :) I however, will always belong! > 7/20/77=23!!!! > - Weasel > Ahh, but if you use the age I was when I Joined the group... WHOA! How about this? I was activated to this Netcom accounton June 4, 1994!!!!! 6+4+9+4 IS 23!!!!!!1 AHAHAHAAHHAH I AM A TRUE MEMBER! Plus my age one, that means I am a high elder in the 23 clan...j/k a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:20:16 -0500 (EST) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Re: Tonight's UIUC Concert Well, if anyone DOES get a radio/RealAudio copy on tape, I'll be willing to trade for it!!!! Later and love, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ If I had a home page, it's address would be here. But I don't. Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:26:46 -0500 (EST) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: That rilly kewl 23 thang Yes the typos are on purpose.... I'm making it look totally idiotic ;) Anyway..... aside from the overpowering coincidences that have been popping up in the birthdates adding up to 23, the truth is that nubers can be manipulated to mave the final answer be whatever you want (eg "I'll be twenty in three years, and 20+3=23", and "I've seen They 6 times divided ny the two johns.....") STATISTICS LIE!!!! Ok, I'm done now..... On another note - if there's anyone out there that plays "Magic - the Gathering", ask me about my TMBG cards that I created!! They're very cool.... and I'm going to try and make them legal in my school's tourneys..... Later and love, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ If I had a home page, it's address would be here. But I don't. Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 11:32:26 MST Subject: RE: does John L break anything? In the "Don't Let's Start" video, they blow up an accordian. ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: 23 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 14:11:00 EST Alas, my birthday digits add up to 22! 04/20/79 2 + 4 + 7 + 9 =22! -- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 14:26:16 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: More on 23 I was doing a crossword puzzle and the answer to 23 down was HIDEAWAY (as in folk family), although the clue didn't have anything to do with TMBG. If the core temperature of a human being falls below 23 degrees Celcius, they die. In 1990, 23 countries banned British beef due to mad cow disease. I hope there are some happier occurances of the number 23...these last two seem kind of depressing. Only 10 days before the Etown show...there, I'm happy again! Although my birthday, 04/20/73...4+2+7+3=16, doesn't add up to 23, it does add to 16. Now, 1+6=7, and 16+7=23!! It's a streach, but I'd buy it! Alex "I wish I had three eyes, but then, I do have three eyes...I have claryvoiant paronoia, I have precognitive dissonance, I have many other ways of seeing at my disposal..." -King Missile ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 14:59:10 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: i decided biology wasn't where i wanted to be today..... my birtday: 5/5/77, which is 24, but if you subtract the amount of concerts i've been to, it's 23. and about the song "they might be giants", i don't get as much about religion as i do the whole idea of tabloids and the don quixote thing, where we *need* them to be giants, because we *need* excitement and imagination in our lives, and just like don quixote believed the windmills he was fighting was giants, we can make anything into something else with a little imagination....i don't think don quixote was even close to being insane, he just wanted to prove a point so much that it became part of him.... and in "road movie to berlin", the line "we were once so close to heaven, peter came out and gave us medals, declaring us the nicest of the damned"... i think it means that we are damned and innately evil, and it's like some people want to be the "nicest of the damned", and we can even be the nicest of the damned with some sort of religion..... do i believe i'm damned? no, but that's just my interpretation of the song. anyhoo, delete this message or whatever. bye! aims `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` "I don't fall in love, I just fall." -Paul Sebold EAT KRILL FOR A BETTER AMERICA aimee elisabeth pflieger http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 15:01:23 E From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Subject: they might be weasels I regret to inform all of you little dumplings that I don't think I can make it to the E-town show...I have been looking forward to it but I have some commitments the next morning and that afternoon that I think it would be hard to keep. I hope you all have a good time *sigh* and make sure you keep me updated for the future as to what shows are playing in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and the area. Tracy, who is writing a song parody of Alanis Bitchasette's song Ironic based on her Art History class: "Ionic" :) ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: oh yeah Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 15:07:44 EST i forgot to mention...to whoever asked. last nite in indy at the end of famous american polka (last song) flans busted his strings and the put the guitar next to the speaker for some fat feedback as the whole band waved goodbye in a somewhat silly way. farside ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Eliot Goldenthal Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 14:25:34 -0600 I mailed the list to one of my friends to get his votes, and he wanted to know who put Eliot Goldenthal on the list. He wonders who knows who he is besides him. So, if you're the one who added that to the list, please e-mail Sean Weitner at sweitner@students.wisc.edu :) thanks. Ana Ng (and Sweitner) ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: spin the dial Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:36:34 -0500 (EST) Howdy, With all of thiw talk about Spin the Dial I was getting to thinking, who knows what good radio stations are in or around Elizabethtown? WHFS is way too far away in Landover, MD which woulda been kinda cool if they played something good from there. I know of 98.5 WYCR which has ok music sometimes but I am unfamiliar with anything else. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: breaking calm Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:41:35 -0500 (EST) > > In a message dated 96-04-01 17:33:14 EST, you write: > > >The Famous Polka (Flans passed around his guitair and then broke off all of > >it's strings.) > > I have a question for you all the fortunate concert goers, does Flans break > his strings after every show? I noticed he did at the end of the House O' > Blues show... > And does Linnell break anything? :) > Hello, I think from the 10 concerts I've been to Flans has broken his strings just about every time (maybe 9 out of 10), seems to be his trademark these days! Linnell is the calm, cool, collected one, he never breaks anything. Could you just imagine Flans with his Ana Ng video devil-boy- from-hell-face breaking guitar strings in a mad frenzy? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Tonight's UIUC Concert Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:50:50 -0500 (EST) > > I'm going to try to catch the concert tonight via RealAudio, but could > someone in the Champaign-Urbana area tape it off of the radio? If you're > going to the concert, have a friend tape it for you. I'll make it worth > your while. > > Also, it's been said before, but what time does the concert start? 8pm someone said is the opening band, 9pm for the Giants. The thing I'm wondering is being in Baltimore it's kinda far, 2 hour plane ride to Chicago,Illinois area, but imagine if yuou were trying to catch this in Australia (many many hour plane ride), I wonder what the enormous lag time must be like? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Real audio tmbg Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:55:18 -0500 (EST) I have a question, once we download real audio 2.0 do we connect to a particular server? Do we connect to www.webfx.com or do we hav somewhereelse to connect to? I assume we have to connect to some server at this radio station, how is it done? Thanks for you help. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 15:49:17 -0500 Subject: Re: indy concert >they played a song called 'on the drag' i believe. They played that at the Mercury Lounge shows, starting the first week, as I recall. According to Flans, it's about St. Mark's Place. And, approproately enough, one of my friends spotted Flans walking down St. Mark's Place one day a couple of weeks ago. She said she had to resist the urge to start singing the song to him. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 14:52:27 -0600 (CST) From: "Tasha E. Kelter" <00208045@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Tony? Hey...i know i'm very behind the times here probably, but in the short time i've been on this list i haven't seen a single thing about my favorite bassist ever, Tony Maimone - where did he go? Not back to Pere Ubu, maybe he's still with tmbg and i just am panicking for no reason? Oh well, someone inform me. :) tasha ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: voting/ TMBG fan filmmakers Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 15:18:35 -0600 I want to thank all of you who have voted once again, and I'd also like to remind everyone else that they have until the 10th to vote. VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!!! If anyone needs another copy of the list, feel free to ask me, and I'll mail it to you. :) and I have a couple of friends who are TMBG fans who are also interested in making movies... Maybe that should have ben added to the list... *ponders* OK, if you want to vote for that too, you can, just let me know. "filmmaking" Also, if you other filmmakers are interested in comparing films with my friends, I'll give you their addresses. Ana Ng kerrel@uwec.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 15:33:50 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: I Almost Killed They Might Be Giants! :( Hello all, Today after Their in-house set at Periscope Records, I rode my bike over to the radio station They were going to do an interview in order to get an autograph. Anyway, I was riding rather quickly up to a corner, and guess who came up to the other end of the corner at the same time? John, John, and Brian! Unfortunately, I almost took out all three of them out...ending the chance of their being a show tonight...I was going to ask them to auotgraph my copy of Apollo 18...but all I managed to say was, "Nice set, guys." Flans responded "Thanks, Man." and continued to walk & chat with Brian. I hung around for a while deciding to ask for the autograph...but I was still shaking from 1)meeting Them and 2)almost killing them...so I was unable to get it :( But, I did get 2 new t-shirts at the store they played at...so I guess I survive...maybe. -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and the Mono Puff CD...a more complete collection to follow. :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 16:32 EST From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: spin the dial On April 2, 1996, Matthew James (mjames@justice.loyola.edu) spake: >Howdy, >With all of thiw talk about Spin the Dial I was getting to thinking, >who knows what good radio stations are in or around Elizabethtown? >WHFS is way too far away in Landover, MD which woulda been kinda >cool if they played something good from there. I know of 98.5 WYCR >which has ok music sometimes but I am unfamiliar with anything else. >Matt well, there are a *lot* of stations on the dial in E-town (at least compared to what i get now that i'm up at Penn State), because they're nestled in among Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster. there are several good, eclectic rock stations (92.7 and 93.5, notably), the E-town college station (88.7?? something way down on the dial, anyway) is pretty cool. unfortunately, right *in* E-town the top end of the dial is kind of dominated by a couple country stations and a conservative Christian station that are based right in or near the town... but, rest assured, there will be much to choose from if the Johns do the spin thang. :) and i plan to see it. :D on that subject, i seem to have come into too many tickets to the E-town show... i probably have at least 2 or up to 5 tickets to spare (don't ask why). i don't suppose anyone wants to buy 'em off me? at a fair price? or something? well, later... gotta finish taping Everything They Ever Recorded Except One for my sister-in-law, who's acocmpanying us to the concert, but only owns Flood. -j.l. my room is comfortably small, and there's rubber lining the walls, and there's someone always calling my name... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 16:39:52 -0500 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Re: Real audio tmbg Matthew James wrote: > > I have a question, once we download real audio 2.0 do we connect > to a particular server? Do we connect to www.webfx.com or do > we hav somewhereelse to connect to? I assume we have to connect > to some server at this radio station, how is it done? Thanks > for you help. > Matt > All you should have to do is go to www.webxfm.com and click the link that says live, then Real Audio should come up and connect and start playing. -- Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/ The Unoffical Pritchard Web Site & Mailing List Admin Check it out @ http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/pritchard/ Powered By FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org "I don't know whether I'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar" -TMBG ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:52:35 -0500 Subject: Re: Tony? In a message dated 96-04-02 16:14:22 EST, you write: > >Hey...i know i'm very behind the times here probably, but in the short >time i've been on this list i haven't seen a single thing about my >favorite bassist ever, Tony Maimone - where did he go? Not back to Pere >Ubu, maybe he's still with tmbg and i just am panicking for no reason? Oh >well, someone inform me. :) From what I've heard that other guy who played bass on two or three of the songs on JH is now the bassist who is on tour with them... but who knows what will happen when the next album comes out hey where's Tony, someone find Tony we're out on the road... ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 17:25:21 -0500 Subject: Good stuff Hi there......................................................................... ........................................... /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ I have a few subjects: Number 23- My birthday is 4/21/83 which is 18, but if you add 2+3 to get fiave and add that to 18 then subtract my number of TMBG concerts (0) you get 23!!!!! (8 D Modern TMBG- Okay, John F. on guitars & vocals, John L. on his reeds & keyboards with vocals, Brian Doherty on drums, but what about the other 3??? I've heard Tony is gone, I've seen that Kurt plays the horns on WDTSS and reeds on JH (or vice-versa), and Does Grahm Maby still play bass? Help me someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bye for now... JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Good stuff Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:42:09 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Jantschman@aol.com: >Modern TMBG- Okay, John F. on guitars & vocals, John L. on his reeds & >keyboards with vocals, Brian Doherty on drums, but what about the other 3??? >I've heard Tony is gone, I've seen that Kurt plays the horns on WDTSS and >reeds on JH (or vice-versa), and Does Grahm Maby still play bass? Help me >someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since people seem to be asking: On the current "They Got Lost" Mini-tour (feel free to name it whatever you like - They haven't), It's John F. on rhythm and sometimes lead guitar and vocals; John L. on keys, accordian, clarinet, and vocals; Graham Maby on bass and backup vocals (the "la la" part of Jimmy da Polk); Brian Doherty on drums, drums, and more drums; and Eric Shoesomethingorother as Their new Lead Guitarist. There are no horns to be seen. Sorry to you horn lovers out there. -CB ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 17:22:24 -0600 (CST) From: TomLeitl Subject: Hmmmmm... Hey does anyone know if there is a way to email stuff to the Johns..??? I have a bone to pick with them... vicky o o ^*\ "Life is a placebo, masquerading as a simile" /*^ / > < \ ------------------------------ From: U.DAUFENBACH@cbr.aworld.de (Uwe Daufenbach) Subject: They Might be Damned... Date: Sun, 31 Mar 96 0:00:00 GMT Hi all! Yesterday I took a glance at the back cover of "Another Damned Seattle Compilation" which I had bought long time ago, and discovered that there were two titles performed by the Young Fresh Fellows. Must be the ones They sing about in "Twisting". I like the Damned, but never thought there is a link to Them. Greetings, U w e ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 18:53:05 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: syncronicity On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > > > On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > > > I hope this isn't Batman > > > > WE HAVE A WINNER!! But somehow, your answer doesn't fill me with hope. > > Did you not like the film?? I can understand if you didn't...lots of > > people didn't, but for me, it makes my life worth living (after TMBG, of > > course). > > It was okay, but to call it the best film ever is a bit of an exaggeration. > > Mark > Hi there. For Alex and myself, Batman is a great cinematic experience for reasons that may be personal, so others may not share the enthusiasm we have for the film. When pressed I admit that my favourite film of all time is Terry Gilliam's Brazil, possibly tied with 2001 and Aliens, but for me Batman is an unusually resonant experience which I treasure. Dig the incredible production design and music and photography and acting. It's spectacular, the whole package, flawed in that amazing way that declares it to be a Tim Burton movie. I saw it when I was 15 and I had never seen anything like it, and I don't think anyone can doubt the veracity of that statement. Back in that summer of '89 Tim Burton became my hero, for I had found someone who I felt was in tune with what I was about. Of course, now at my old age of 22 it is John and John who say it all for me. I doubt that will ever change. I could get into this more, but there's really no point. We all agree on They Might Be Giants but we don't have to agree on everything. By the way, Mark, what is your choice for best movie of all time? Mike. http://yucc.yorku.ca/~alex not finished, not ready, but there anyway ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Hmmmmm... Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 18:29:46 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of TomLeitl: >Hey does anyone know if there is a way to email stuff to the Johns..??? I >have a bone to pick with them... From the TMBG FAQ: 5. Do the Johns know about the mailing list? Do the Johns know about the alt.music.tmbg newsgroup? Do the Johns read this list? Do the Johns read thenewsgroup? Can I talk to John and John via e-mail? Do the Johns know about the mailing list? Yes. Do the Johns know about the alt.music.tmbg newsgroup? Yes. Do the Johns read the list? No. Do the Johns read the newsgroup? No. Can I talk to John and John via e-mail? No. Sorry to disappoint you... ------------------------------ From: klamb@ecentral.com Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 17:37:18 -0700 Subject: Birthdays I appologize if this is a repeat post, but just to clear up any confusion that might remain, Linnell's birthday is June 12 and Flansburgh's is May 6. They said so in the Spring 94 info club letter. --marty ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 18:35:39 -0600 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: RealAudio concert tonight Hey all! I've been hanging around on the list for a while and I've been a TMBG fan since 1990 or 1991 sometime. I've been reading all the stuff about the concert that's going to be tonight, so I went and tested RealAudio (I haven't used it much at all since I got it) and I get the sound just fine for about 30 seconds, then it changes to static and I have to stop playing and let it connect to the server again... I wonder if anyone else is having thi problem and knows how to fix it. I have a 28.8 connection and I tested at the WEBX-FM site so I'd really appreciate some help. Thanx! Braham Ketcham: Email: - hexagon@salamander.com - braham_ketcham@mail.decorah.k12.ia.us Web Site: - http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Apr 96 16:28:56 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Re: Hmmmmm... Dream on...... ______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: Hmmmmm... Author: TomLeitl at Internet Date: 4/2/96 4:03 PM Hey does anyone know if there is a way to email stuff to the Johns..??? I have a bone to pick with them... vicky o o ^*\ "Life is a placebo, masquerading as a simile" /*^ / > < \ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: listening to Urbana! Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 21:08:22 -0500 (EST) Well all, I'm listening to that Illinois station right now, sounds pretty fluid over realaudio. Nvermind that I had to download Netscape 2.0, Realaudio and Trumpet Winsock to do this. Now if I could figure out how to connect the tape player to the computer in the next hour or so. Ready to rock and roll! Matt who hopes 28.8 will be quick evough. -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: all ready to bootleg baby! Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 21:23:18 -0500 (EST) Yes! I got realaudiot working well, radio hookedup and ready to copy the concert! This is cool. I'm not sure why that guy (sorry forgot your name) who couldn't get connected very long at 28.8 wouldn't work... Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 20:30:30 -0600 (CST) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Rareities, 42, 23, Trumpet Thing > Oh, and I've been trying to get my hands on a couple of things for a very > long time with no luck. They are : the '85 demo tape, Linnell's State > Songs, and JF's Mono Puff (the first one). If anyone would be willing to > make me a copy of these, I would be extremely thankful (esp. of the demo tape). I'd like these, too! I'd buy hello club, all years, but I just can't shell out $120 at once like that. > (42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and > everything. The question, however, remains a mystery...) Well, 4+2=6=2*3, and 2+3=5. Five. > Since January 23 falls under the sign of Aquarius... well, you get the > picture. If that's L's Bday, Cool! Mine is 1/22! (which adds up to 23) > >frightening the number of times that this seems to happen, but my birthday > >also adds up to the mystical number 23... 6/3/77... > Wowzas! Mine's 4/22/78 -- 4+2+2+7+8=23. Wierd. > Wow, my b'day adds up to 23, too! This is getting kinda scary! See?!?!? You can't avoid it! > When TMBG came to Seattle a few yrs ago, Linnell did the grooviest thing > with his trumpet. If any of you out their play the Trumpet, you will That's pretty nifty, but was it Linnell or the trumpet player (Jim, I think)? Cause I thought Linnell just played reed insturments (and keyboards, of course). > ditty on his guitar. After one phrase, Graham Maby (stage center) So has Graham Maby replaced Tony Maimone? Why? BTW, i know I've heard this before, but what band was Tony Maimone in? Also, something big *has* to happen this year, since 1+9+9+6=25=5*5. Maybe a new album (among other things)??? With all this talk of new songs, spring hopes eternal. (Anybody watch Red Green?) %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 18:59:16 -0800 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: People who look like Them. At 04:02 PM 4/1/96 -0500, you wrote: > >Well, my B/f looks like a skinny Flans, and the guy who lives across the >hall looks like Linnel, sorta, but he has a goatee and shorter hair. There's a guy who works @ the station, he's an engineer's assistant (gofor), high school kid, who is a dead ringer for Flans. Glasses, Flannel, slightly overweight, black hair, slight mustasche growth. I said to him, "Hey, you look just like John Flansburgh." He said, "yeah, I know, that dude from They're May Be Giants, right?" ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com My rules of life: Drive a Jeep, Think clearly often, Don't put Spam in your Chicken Gumbo, and most important Listen to They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Numerology Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 18:59:09 -0800 (PST) > > Okay, fine..... > I shall allow it this time, you too are part of the "23 club"! > But if your birthday was in '79, then I still have plain old regular age > superiority over you! > - Weasel My birthday being in 79 means nothing... Its not like it tells you my age or something...(SMILE) a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: Good Stuff (AGES) Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 19:08:16 -0800 (PST) > Number 23- My birthday is 4/21/83 which is 18, but if you add 2+3 to get > fiave and add that to 18 then subtract my number of TMBG concerts (0) you get > 23!!!!! (8 D 12 huh. Wow... I am only 17. I wonder how many <18 people are on the list... EVERY BODY RESPOND TO THIS! a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 22:29:04 -0500 (EST) From: Chief Jokester Subject: Re: Math On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, John Pletikapich wrote: > >1+1+1+7+7=17. Your all welcome. > > Brendan, the math major, Sullivan > ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ > | | > I can tell you aren't an English major :) > > -- > > John > Ummmmm. Well...... I guess the Jesuits here at St. Joe's are doing a bad job with my grammer section of liberal-arting (don't comment on that last part... I can't guess what it would actually be). On behalf of everyone here at St. Joe's, I wish to express my deepest sorrows for my english faux pas. Thank you, and have a nice day. Brendan ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 21:28:58 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: Everybody else is doing it...and I'm a follower. Gee whiz. I want to add my age up too! Let's see. Twould be 04/19/77, so 4+1+9+7+7=28. Durn. I'm not special, but I suppose if I subtracted five, I would be. Oh well. So. On a "keeping this related to the purpose of the list" note, I'd like to say that I've finally "plugged in" to KANM, the campus radio here, on which I'm a DJ, but until now had never heard. So, the first thing I did was call the show that was on and request TMBG. More specifically, I requested "Stompbox," but the boy who took my call was semi-clueless. I told him he'd find it on John Henry, in the "T" section...a minute later, they played "Subliminal" instead. Oh well, you can't win them all, I suppose. -jenny, who's going to listen to some really cool radio shows now... @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ "I spilled spot remover on my dog. He's gone now." - Stephen Wright Visit the new and vastly uninproved Home Page-a-go-go! http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 22:42:53 -0500 (EST) From: Chief Jokester Ummm.... I'm sorry, but I lost the letter from whoever, which told how to change the user name. If possible, can someone either foward it to me, or mail me, telling me what I forgot? Thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 22:09:05 -0600 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: The LIVE concert over RealAudio Okay... I was just listening to the concert... It wuz pretty kewl I'd have to say, if you don't mind TERRIBLE sound quality and lots of static. I heard Ana Ng again (I hope that version goes on the new album) James T. Plok for the first time, the new version of She Was a Hotel Detective, and some other songs, but halfway through Subliminal, My TCP crashed, then Windows crashed, then my computer crashed, then I got logged in again, and I don't get any sound.... it says I'm connected but absolutely no sound. Anyway, if anyone that lives in Champaign Urbana, IL recorded the concert from the radio has a copy they'd like to give/sell me (the former would be preferred :->) I'd be glad to pay for it. (you folks that live there should be able to make copies of the concert and sell them...) If anyone's taking bids, tell me at hexagon@salamander.com and I'll try to get a copy. Thanx! Braham Ketcham: Email: - hexagon@salamander.com - braham_ketcham@mail.decorah.k12.ia.us Web Site: - http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon ------------------------------ From: "Andrew" Organization: northland.edu Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 22:08:17 -0600 Subject: Web Concert NNNOOOOOOOO!!!! NO, NO, NO!! AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! I had it, it was working. I had the TMBG concert over the web and all of the sudden during XTC vs. Adam Ant It died on me!! I tried to fix it but I got nothing. I had it all hooked up in the library, the only place with a fast enough modem and a good sound card, I was getting a recieving signall but no sound!!??!? And now the Library is closed, no way to get ack and and try it again. DOH! It was so awesome, there was a bunch of static and really crappy sound, but hey, you gotta make sacrifices. Well at least I heard one of the new songs...... Andrew McAninch "I felt like I could fly, until I got shot down." me ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 20:34:52 -0800 From: jefftmbg@ix.netcom.com (Jeff P Gustafson) Subject: Real Audio concert Well, after taking an hour downloading real audio from their super slow server, I got the tmbg concert, and after a few min. it suddenly died. everyone on the #tmbg irc channel were complaining too, so at least it wasn't just my problem. Damn, this is the second tmbg concert I've missed in the past 5 days (the first being mississippi nights, stupid sellout). -Jeff http://www.dragonfire.net/~Moogle/istanbul.htm ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:34:44 +0000 Subject: shows This is for all you people who have been to recent shows and have been sending messages like "This was my eleventh show and it was the best one yet..." -- Phooey. *sigh* maybe they'll come out to CA... for the first time in two years... maybe I'll get to see them for the very first time. -nicole, who is _NOT_ bitter. Really. Man, the next time I fall for a band, I'm gonna make sure it's local. :) "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 01:14:44 -0500 (EST) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: For all those who asked..... Ok, if you don't care about Magic, delete this message. For everyone else.... good, you're still with me. Here'smy ideas... Dig My Grave (black..... 10 colorless, 3 black) Sorcery Remove target player from game. "Every time I look in your eyes I see St. Peter wave" Everything Right is Wrong Again (black..... 6 colorless, 1 black) Sorcery All white cardsin play become black, and all plains become swamps. "And no one came back to save her." Hotel Detective (blue.... 1 blue) Instant Look at up to three cards at random from target opponent's hand. "If you've got a secret, boy - forget about it!" Piece of dirt Land Tap to add 1 colorless mana to mana pool. "Piece of dirt.... that is all I'm standing on today." Pencil Rain (green..... 2 colorless, 2 green) Enchantment 1 green mana changes type on target land until end of turn. "And none who have witnessed all can speak of a nobler cause than perishing in the pencil rain." I Palindrome I (red..... 1 colorless, 1 red) Sorcery Look at the top and bottom cards of your library. If they do notmatch, shuffle the library. Repeat this until the two cards match. "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age." Snail Shell (green..... 2 colorless, 1 green) Enchant Creature Target creature gains +0/+2 "I want to thank you for putting me back in my snail shell." Sapphire Bullets (blue..... 2 blue) Summon bullets Tap to do one damage to target player. Player can redirect damage to creature he or she controls. "John, I've been bad and they're comin' after me." Shoehorn with teeth (2 colorless) Artifact 2 colorless: target player must pay an additional 2 colorless mana when an enchantment is cast. "People should get beat up for stating their beliefs." Birdhouse in your Soul (4 colorless) Artifact Pay one life to tap Birdhouse. Target flying creature loses flying until Birdhouse is untapped. You may choose not to untap Birdhouse. "Who watches over you"? aka Driver (green.... 3 colorless, 1 green) Summon NyQuil Driver Banding 1 green and tap: transfers trample from target creature to aka Driver. "We could walk, but we'd never get there." Larger than Life (white..... 3 white) Enchant Creature Target creature gains +3/+3 "She's actual size, but she seems much bigger to me." Particle Man (1 blue, 1 white, 1 green) Summon Paricle Man Islandwalk, Flying "What's he like? It's not important." Your Racist Friend (2 black, 1 red) Enchant World No creature can attack creatures that are of the same color. "You can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." Cowtown (blue..... 1 colorless, 1 blue) Enchantment 1 blue: target creature gains islandwalk until end of turn. You may not spend more than 2 blue mana this way during your turn. "Beneath the waves, the waves, that's where I will be." Hope you all enjoyed them!!!! The artwork I did for each card is really funny, but Alas!they are not able to be sent through e-mail. Luv to you all, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ If I had a home page, it's address would be here. But I don't. Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Real Audio concert Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 02:55:18 -0500 (EST) > > Well, after taking an hour downloading real audio from their super slow > server, I got the tmbg concert, and after a few min. it suddenly died. > everyone on the #tmbg irc channel were complaining too, so at least it > wasn't just my problem. Damn, this is the second tmbg concert I've > missed in the past 5 days (the first being mississippi nights, stupid > sellout). > Same thing happened here, we were wondering if it was a bad connection on our end or if the reaaudio concert went haywire? I was listening to the station fine for a while, then people called and I tried to get back on (after hearing alittle after Older and Twisting) and there was nothing there. We were receiving packets of information but no sound. Ah hwell. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 01:20:00 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Jen Curses Her Stupidity... I don't believe this. I was so psyched! I was set to listen to the realaudio concert tonight (I even downloaded RealAudio 2.0, even though it caused my system to crash on me...). Then I went to visit my lower half (I laugh) earlier this evening, got caught up watching a movie and forgot about the whole thing! Aaaaarrrgggghhh!!!!!! Anybody know if it will be rebroadcast? How about just posted somewhere? Maybe? Please? I wait for a response with my extremities crossed (ow). ________________ Jenna Davis jenna@onramp.net "If love isn't forever and it's not the weather, hand me my leather..." -Tori Amos ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-94 *****************************