Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-95 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 95 Thursday, 4 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: syncronicity Live NYC, Misc t, + HELLO Re: Real Audio concert Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-94 Digested Boba Mail: Who's going??? Web concert Re: Web Concert Re: Rareities, 42, 23, Trumpet Thing Re: Web Concert Top Stories TMBG Should Cover in Song Re: syncronicity whoa. Re: Web Concert Re: For all those who asked..... Re: whoa. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-94 Elizabethtown Show Apology to Boba, New (Old) album? Re: whoa. Re: whoa. hey baby, whats your sign... numbers and E-town Discord Re: whoa. TMBInterviews Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-94 Re: Apology to Boba, New (Old) album? Northwestern U 3-30-96 Addendum Re: Apology to Boba, New (Old) album? Live in NYC Re: whoa. Re: whoa. Real Audio Concert TMBG on the Web New Songs? Re: New Songs? apf? Re: TMBG on the Web Re: TMBG on the Web voting New album.. Re: Jim Polk Re: TMBG on the Web Re: Digested Boba Mail: Who's going??? Re: syncronicity the photo phantom strikes again! Barenaked Ladies in Entertainment Weekly As long as I'm an unrelated thing... Re: As long as I'm an unrelated thing... Talk... Hoopla! Re: Digested Boba Mail: Who's going??? another error linnell ot photos Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:48:27 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: syncronicity On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > I could get into this more, but there's really no point. We all > agree on They Might Be Giants but we don't have to agree on everything. > By the way, Mark, what is your choice for best movie of all time? Do I have to have a 'favourite'? There are lots of films I like in lots of different ways, and it would be stupid of me to pretend to like one more than any other. Here are a few films I like a lot, though: Delicatessen, Rear Window, Terminator, Trainspotting, Pulp Fiction, The Wages of Fear, Metropolis, Westworld, Amateur, Dog Day Afternoon, When Harry Met Sally, The Third Man, Short Cuts, Trains Planes and Automobiles, Man Bites Dog, The Thirty Nine Steps, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Yellow Submarine, The Untouchables, Beauty and the Beast, and lots, lots more. But, of course, I can't remember them all. And I certainly couldn't say that any of them is my favourite, just as I can't tell you what my favourite group is, because I don't really have one. It just depends on my mood. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 11:50:37 +0200 From: sjp6@waikato.ac.nz (Sam Pearson) Subject: Live NYC, Misc t, + HELLO Hi to all out there This is old but since I've just read my old mail I'll say Red Dwarf is good Black Coffee (no sugar) is good Glenfiddich and Laphroaig are good Well onto todays stuff. I noticed today that when you invert the cover of Misc t, the picture is of someone's doorway, leading into a room. Does anyone know whose room/door this is? I also noticed that in "twistin" on the TMBG Live!! NYC Cd, instead of saying: "She doesn't have to have her DB's record back now" or something it says: "She doesn't have to have her primus tape back now" Cool. Just as an extra note, has anyone got the start of the '96 HELLO CD Club catalogue yet? What is it. Is it good? refer above for definitions of good. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 96 07:45:54 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Real Audio concert > Well, after taking an hour downloading real audio from their super slow > server, I got the tmbg concert, and after a few min. it suddenly died. > everyone on the #tmbg irc channel were complaining too, so at least it > wasn't just my problem. Damn, this is the second tmbg concert I've > missed in the past 5 days (the first being mississippi nights, stupid > sellout). > > -Jeff > http://www.dragonfire.net/~Moogle/istanbul.htm > Yeah it did during XTC vs Atom Ant. It was pretty cool (even though I couldn't connect to my internet account at 28800 to save my life [always got 21600] and I had about 1 byte of band width). But from my end (probally due to my horrible connection) it sounded like crap. BUt I do think we should all mail the station and tell them to broadcast it again or just put it up as one huge ra file or send us all tapes of it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 08:43:11 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-94 I'd just like to say right now that the #23 has no significance whatsoever. 42 is the number that is in ultimate control of the universe. All of these 23 supporters are blinding all us honest 42ers into thinking there is some significance to 23. THERE IS NONE!! But, John & John are also involved...I have some evidence to believe that this support of the #23 is what will allow J&J to take over the world!! So, support away....but you must know that the truth...is in #42, not #23. I know Linnell is the one playing sax on the House of Blues concert, and he also did so on the JH tour. Nathan Todd (Linnel) *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu As my own individual and conscious mind: I control my destiny. I access my innermost thoughts and emotions. I manipulate the external world. In general I am the most powerful force in my existence. I AM GOD. *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 09:34:50 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail: Who's going??? I am going to E-Town!! Who's Going? What's the secret handshake? Are we all wearing brand new Indian Headdresses? Are we all bringing Ty Cobb Cards? I'm wearing my Boba Fett T-shirt for easy identification!! Maybe we should get TMBG-List buttons or hats or shirts or socks or something to show we are cool!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm typing faster than I'm thinking now. STOP! Breathe, o.k. Anyway, what's the scoop? Let me in on what's going down. Boba E-Out! "I'd like to take this opportunity to ask each every person listening in, whoever and wherever they may be, to pause for a moment, and to give thanks in his or her own way." "Tranquility Base!!" -Matthew Ondrey, who's just a woofer covered in wood. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "BUT YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ME, BECAUSE I HAVE A SPECIAL JOB" "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 09:43:33 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Web concert Hi there If anybody did get a listenable copy of last night's show I would like to know... Mike. http://yucc.yorku.ca/~alex not ready, not willing, but totally able ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 09:46:23 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Bird Subject: Re: Web Concert On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Andrew wrote: > NNNOOOOOOOO!!!! NO, NO, NO!! AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! I had it, it > was working. I had the TMBG concert over the web and all of the > sudden during XTC vs. Adam Ant It died on me!! I tried to fix > it but I got nothing. I had it all hooked up in the library, the > only place with a fast enough modem and a good sound card, I was > getting a recieving signall but no sound!!??!? And now the Library > is closed, no way to get ack and and try it again. DOH! It was so > awesome, there was a bunch of static and really crappy sound, but > hey, you gotta make sacrifices. Well at least I heard one of the new > songs...... > Yes, the RealAudio transmission died during XTC vs. Adam Ant. I was pretty pissed off at first, but then I realized that I at least got to hear 8 songs....my connection was bad at first, so I didn't hear much of "Older", but I reconnected in time to hear the end of Twistin'. I tried to record the show, but the quality is so poor that I'll tell everyone right now, it's not worth the hours it would take to download the 3-5 megabytes for each song (I didn't use compression in an attempt to save the quality). The other songs I heard (in no particular order) were Istanbul, Subliminal, Hotel Detective (new, of course), James K. Polk, and...um...one more....was it Meet James Ensor maybe? Anyway, I hope the guy who brought the tape recorder got the whole show. :) Bob -- Robert Bird "Mammal, mammal...Their names are called, rbird@utk.edu they raise a paw: the bat, the cat... University of Tennessee dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog..." http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 09:11:10 -0600 (CST) From: "Tasha E. Kelter" <00208045@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: Rareities, 42, 23, Trumpet Thing On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, John E. Neely wrote: > So has Graham Maby replaced Tony Maimone? Why? BTW, i know I've heard > this before, but what band was Tony Maimone in? Pere Ubu. :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 96 10:25:27 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Web Concert > Yes, the RealAudio transmission died during XTC vs. Adam Ant. I was > pretty pissed off at first, but then I realized that I at least got to > hear 8 songs....my connection was bad at first, so I didn't hear much of > "Older", but I reconnected in time to hear the end of Twistin'. I tried > to record the show, but the quality is so poor that I'll tell everyone > right now, it's not worth the hours it would take to download the 3-5 > megabytes for each song (I didn't use compression in an attempt to save > the quality). The other songs I heard (in no particular order) were > Istanbul, Subliminal, Hotel Detective (new, of course), James K. Polk, > and...um...one more....was it Meet James Ensor maybe? Anyway, I hope the > guy who brought the tape recorder got the whole show. :) > Hey Older is the about the only song that I got a faily good copy of. Its a pretty cool song it kinda reminds me of thier older stuff with its neat simplicity. Anyway does anyone have an email address or number for thier studio? I looked but I couldn't find it on thier page. XTC vs Atom Ant.... Opps.. Damnit John I told you not to trip over that cord... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:25:36 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Top Stories TMBG Should Cover in Song Ben or Been here. In an impulsive moment, thinking about the sad death of the fat umpire, I decided that TMBG needed to do a tribute song. Ya think so? Well, regardless if you do or not, I've decided to brainstorm topics TMBG should cover in their next album, called _The Empire of the Empirical_. ***THE TOPICS: The dead opening-day baseball umpire. The break-up of Michael and Lisa-Marie. The Redneck Shop in South Carolina. (Maybe they can crash a bicycle.) Dole. The dead Sam Walton. The dead Bob Ross, painting genius. Alfred Korzybski and his ideas (general-semantics). Wife-beating. Males raping males. Homosexuality and the police. The race wars that Anna Deavere Smith documents. Immanuel Kant--an idiot. David Hume David Hume David Hume. Refrigerator magnets. Brushing shoehorns with teeth (the new disco version). etc. This is lame. Can't wait for that new album though! Ben or Been Ben's Dial-A-Song now features Tiny Tim singing "Be My Baby" Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-BLUE ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 11:01:21 -0500 Subject: Re: syncronicity In a message dated 96-04-03 07:16:14 EST, M.M.Iles@reading.ac.uk (Mark M. Iles) writes: > Delicatessen, Rear Window, Terminator, Trainspotting, Pulp >Fiction, The Wages of Fear, Metropolis, Westworld, Amateur, Dog Day >Afternoon, When Harry Met Sally, The Third Man, Short Cuts, Trains Planes >and Automobiles, Man Bites Dog, The Thirty Nine Steps, Beyond the Valley >of the Dolls, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Yellow Submarine, The >Untouchables, Beauty and the Beast, and lots, lots more. You've forgotten the best movie of all LOGAN'S RUN ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 11:17:07 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: whoa. after Ben or Been's post about flood i realized a very important thing about that album. if it had an invocation to the muse, it would be an epic album. it has allusions to religion and heroes, it talks about fate, and a whole slew of stuff that my english teacher would be ticked off that i forgot. if anyone can find an invocation to the muse, we can officially label this album as an EPIC. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Web Concert Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:25:38 -0600 (CST) From: amy # Hey Older is the about the only song that I got a faily good copy of. Its a pretty # cool song it kinda reminds me of thier older stuff with its neat simplicity. Well it was definitely good live (the three times I saw it this weekend) # Anyway does anyone have an email address or number for thier studio? I looked but # I couldn't find it on thier page. try: bsaldeen@webxfm.com its the email address they have posted around town (champaign) if its not right, they'll get you to the right person. # XTC vs Atom Ant.... Opps.. Damnit John I told you not to trip over that cord... he didn't trip =) and you guys should consider yourselves lucky you got to hear any of the show at all =) They are looking really good this year. (atleast they did in Madison, Periscope and the Virginia in Champaign) ----- Amy Ryan (eighmi@uiuc.edu) ----- http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/eighmi ----- -- never have expectations. keep one foot planted firmly on the ground. let -- the other one roam. no sense squashing all of your hopes... just half of them. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 11:51:56 -0500 (EST) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: For all those who asked..... On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Johnette Frostburg wrote: > Ok, if you don't care about Magic, delete this message. > > For everyone else.... good, you're still with me. Here'smy ideas... > > Dig My Grave (black..... 10 colorless, 3 black) > Sorcery > Remove target player from game. > "Every time I look in your eyes I see St. Peter wave" > > Everything Right is Wrong Again (black..... 6 colorless, 1 black) > Sorcery > All white cardsin play become black, and all plains become swamps. > "And no one came back to save her." > > Hotel Detective (blue.... 1 blue) > Instant > Look at up to three cards at random from target opponent's hand. > "If you've got a secret, boy - forget about it!" > > Piece of dirt > Land > Tap to add 1 colorless mana to mana pool. > "Piece of dirt.... that is all I'm standing on today." > > Pencil Rain (green..... 2 colorless, 2 green) > Enchantment > 1 green mana changes type on target land until end of turn. > "And none who have witnessed all can speak of a nobler cause than > perishing in the pencil rain." > > I Palindrome I (red..... 1 colorless, 1 red) > Sorcery > Look at the top and bottom cards of your library. If they do notmatch, > shuffle the library. Repeat this until the two cards match. > "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age." > > Snail Shell (green..... 2 colorless, 1 green) > Enchant Creature > Target creature gains +0/+2 > "I want to thank you for putting me back in my snail shell." > > Sapphire Bullets (blue..... 2 blue) > Summon bullets > Tap to do one damage to target player. Player can redirect damage to > creature he or she controls. > "John, I've been bad and they're comin' after me." > > Shoehorn with teeth (2 colorless) > Artifact > 2 colorless: target player must pay an additional 2 colorless mana when > an enchantment is cast. > "People should get beat up for stating their beliefs." > > Birdhouse in your Soul (4 colorless) > Artifact > Pay one life to tap Birdhouse. Target flying creature loses flying until > Birdhouse is untapped. You may choose not to untap Birdhouse. > "Who watches over you"? > > aka Driver (green.... 3 colorless, 1 green) > Summon NyQuil Driver > Banding > 1 green and tap: transfers trample from target creature to aka Driver. > "We could walk, but we'd never get there." > > Larger than Life (white..... 3 white) > Enchant Creature > Target creature gains +3/+3 > "She's actual size, but she seems much bigger to me." > > Particle Man (1 blue, 1 white, 1 green) > Summon Paricle Man > Islandwalk, Flying > "What's he like? It's not important." > > Your Racist Friend (2 black, 1 red) > Enchant World > No creature can attack creatures that are of the same color. > "You can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." > > Cowtown (blue..... 1 colorless, 1 blue) > Enchantment > 1 blue: target creature gains islandwalk until end of turn. You may not > spend more than 2 blue mana this way during your turn. > "Beneath the waves, the waves, that's where I will be." > > > Hope you all enjoyed them!!!! > The artwork I did for each card is really funny, but Alas!they are not > able to be sent through e-mail. > > Luv to you all, > 'Nette > > > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" > - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > If I had a home page, it's address would be here. But I don't. > Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > > > My god! You have wayyy too much time on your hands :)..Ah well..they were pretty nifty I'd have to admit.. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 96 12:39:01 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: whoa. > after Ben or Been's post about flood i realized a very important thing > about that album. > > if it had an invocation to the muse, it would be an epic album. > it has allusions to religion and heroes, it talks about fate, and a whole > slew of stuff that my english teacher would be ticked off that i forgot. > > if anyone can find an invocation to the muse, we can officially label > this album as an EPIC. No Epic's a different label. They are on Elektra :) (I know what you mean I'm just being a smart ass) Anyway who ever said anything about the umpire. I think They already did a fingertip about it. It goes: "I'm having a heart attack! I'm having a heart attack!" And what did you all think of the Swales? ------------------------------ From: "Christian Holt" Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 12:32:19 +500 EST Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-94 > I'd just like to say right now that the #23 has no significance whatsoever. > 42 is the number that is in ultimate control of the universe. All of these > 23 supporters are blinding all us honest 42ers into thinking there is some > significance to 23. > THERE IS NONE!! But, John & John are also involved...I have some evidence > to believe that this support of the #23 is what will allow J&J to take over > the world!! So, support away....but you must know that the truth...is in > #42, not #23. THANK YOU! Another 42 supporter... 23 does seem to be a pretty special number, but if you look at all of the instances in which the number 42 comes up (supplied on some Hitchhiker's Guide web page) it is a bit spooky, and definitely more important than 23. Sorry, but 42 rules. --Chris ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 12:46:57 -0500 From: Saurav Bhowmik Subject: Elizabethtown Show If anyone out there can give me information on how to get to Elizabethtown (specifically, from Penn State) I would greatly appreciate it. Any other info on the show (time,cost,opening bands,ticket availability,etc.) would also be very helpful. If you don't want to bother the other friendly denizens of this list, please send your info to: sxb216@psu.edu Thanks. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ Saurav Bhowmik ~ ~ sxb216@psu.edu ~ ~ Fueled by God and M&Ms ~ ~ ~ ~ "In my shoes, in my shoes ~ ~ There is so much to astound me ~ ~ As the whirlpool spins around me ~ ~ Home ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 12:48:01 -0500 (EST) From: Craig Whyte Subject: Apology to Boba, New (Old) album? Hi again. Sorry Boba, but I had the delay the dedication of "Whistling in the Dark" for one week. I promised someone at the station in Feburary that I would play a song from him, and it was played today ("Your Racist Friend"). It will be on next Wednesday. While rummaging through the vinyl library at the station, I found a TMBG album I had never seen before. I checked the discography, and it wasn't there either. It is a 12" maxi single for "Don't Lets Start" released sometime in 1987 (WTSR's add date was November 11, 1987). It had 4 songs. Side 1: "Don't Let's Start" Side 2: 3 "previously unreleased" tracks- "The Famous Polka", "It's Not My Birthday" and "We're the Replacements". The cover is a dark teal green. The front has a line drawing of a snowman warming himself with a bonfire made out of wads of dollar bills. The back has a large photo (top 2/3 of the cover) of the Johns. It looks like its from a performance. Linnell is on the left. He is on his back (or very close to being on his back) and singing. Flansburgh is on the right. He is standing and playing an accordian. He is not wearing glasses. A copy of the first album can be seen on the far left of the photo. If this is a new find, i'll provide as much detail as I can later. Craig ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: Re: whoa. Date: Wed, 3 Apr 96 13:05:12 EST > And what did you all think of the Swales? i thought they were pretty much slickster shaft. farside ------------------------------ Subject: Re: whoa. Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 12:46:38 -0600 (CST) From: amy # > And what did you all think of the Swales? # i thought they were pretty much slickster shaft. I thought Swales was the best opener I'd seen with TMBG. But then again I've never been a big fan of the zither. And the guys in Swales were all really nice.. we talked with them before the in-store show yesterday.. They gave us gum, led us sing (miked) to the Tanguray (sp?) Tango (I apologize to everyone for that.. ) The first time i saw them, Sunday, I thought.. "they weren't bad. they weren't great." But but the third performance, they had been upgraded to "They were pretty good, but I not enough to warrant buying their CD" still the best opener I'd seen for TMBG (but then again I never saw Frank Black) ..amy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 13:56:48 -0500 (EST) From: Copy Shop Clerk Subject: hey baby, whats your sign... let us consider for a moment the birthdays of our two Johns. May 6 and June 12. let us now consider the birthdays of the lovely, talented, noodle eating friends, Lady J and Copy Shop Clerk. May 5 and June 11. my point? we were meant to breed. with the johns, you know. i think sleep is in order. Sara "Doppelgaenger" Smith sarsmith@indiana.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * "This song reminds me of the first time I had sex with myself." -Brian Hall * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~sarsmith/home.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 14:09:32 -0500 (EST) From: Eric Webber Subject: numbers and E-town I'd just like to say that 42 does not necessarily occur any more often then 23 and that every time either of them occurs 2 occurs. 2 therefore must really be the most signifcant number. Besides 42 is really insignificant if you don't know the question. If there's anybody in the Pittsburgh area who's going to the E-town show and maybe want's to car pool, send me a message. I'm not sure if I'm going yet but If I do I can give rides to three or four people. Take it easy everybody, Wubba (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) SAVE MST3K (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) |Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu | |1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed | |Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. | (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 12:18:37 -0700 (MST) From: PARTRIDGE PATRICK Subject: Discord Okay all you Discordomaniacs out there, and we know who you are: I'm going around to all my favortie band chat groups and trying a little experiment. For that Hagbard Celine quoting Giant fan out there, you'll see the validity here. How many of you freakys out there are into: A) The Illuminatus Trilogy B) Discordianism C) The Illuminati D) Aleister Crowley/Golden Dawn/Occult Jake E) Church of the Subgenius/"BOB" (:() I started the longest, most chaotic, and ultimately pointless thread over at the Too Much Joy group with this, but let's call it a little social experimentation. After enough data has been collected, the computers will begin to churn and the _five_ bands most likely to have Erisian influences on their groups will all recieve little gold stars. We could be sleeping in the FLowers.... Episkopos Schabe y pues Schabe, CEO of Schabe Inc., ESC, KSC, XTC, TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 14:32:11 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: whoa. > still the best opener I'd seen for TMBG (but then again I never saw > Frank Black) > ..amy THE ABSOLUTE, POSITIVLEY best opener for TMBG was Pere Ubu!!!! Just thought I would chime in my thoughts on the "opening band" thing..... grd ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 14:34:47 -0500 Subject: TMBInterviews Hey everybody, I just finished typing up a really interesting interview that Linnell did in 1994, it's available at http://www.dragonfire.net/~Ruprecht/HallOfHeads/theymigt.html and it has proof that J.L. likes Beck, for the the person who asked a while back... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 14:44:20 -0500 From: av70@mailhub2.cc.columbia.edu (Alex Viado) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-94 Hey all, I'm new to the list, but just wanted to comment on the RealAudio thing also. I got the first few songs on tape...scratchy and kinda annoying to listen to, but not bad. Subliminal had a cool lead-in, from Dylan's Lay Lady Lay. The only new songs I picked up, though, were Older, which they opened with, and the first couple minutes of XTC vs. Adam Ant, during which everything died, and, like everyone else, I lost touch with Them. :( I REALLY wanted to tape their new stuff, too, esp. On the Drag, Spiralling Shapes, They Got Lost, and Sensurround (no, I have not yet actualy deigned to buy the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers album, but I might eventually). Oh well. If any of yous guys out midwest get a tape of the show when they replay it, I'd lurve a copy! Later all.... ******************************************************************** * * "See you and me * Have a better time than most can dream * Have it better than the best * So can pull on through * Whatever tears at us * Whatever holds us down * And if nothing can be done * We'll make the best of what's around" * * -Dave Matthews Band, "The Best of What's Around" * * :) Alex Viado :) * * Check out my homepage! http://www.columbia.edu/~av70 * Say hi! "talk alex@cokeman.jj.rhno.columbia.edu" * ********************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 14:52:28 -0500 Subject: Re: Apology to Boba, New (Old) album? In a message dated 96-04-03 12:51:53 EST, whyte@trenton.edu (Craig Whyte) writes: >Side 1: "Don't Let's Start" Side 2: 3 "previously unreleased" >tracks- "The Famous Polka", "It's Not My Birthday" and "We're the >Replacements" I remember when I got Misc. T my sister said something about a four song tape that either she or her ex-boyfriend had with It's Not My Birthday on it, but I suppose that could have been the regular single... BTW, is there anything written in the on the record like there is on Hotel Detective, and all those other ones? ------------------------------ Subject: Northwestern U 3-30-96 Addendum Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 13:56:46 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts Two interesting tidbits I omitted in my previous review: (1) After the conga line for NOKMP, I found myself several rows back. Two people to my left was a particularly hyper guy with a three foot vertical jump and one of those laser-pointers. Near the end of the concert, he managed to target Graham right on the heart. John F. moved towards him protectively, and they continued playing when they realised his life was not in immediate danger. (2) After the concert, I regrouped with my friends and we returned dormward to catch a breather. As we were passing near the "tour truck", which the roadies were dutifully loading, we had to step out of the way of a white Lincoln Town Car, which was backing out between the tour truck and a parked car. As the vehicle slowly eased past us, I looked in the passengers side window. Of course, it was Flans. As they continued backing out of the lot, I just looked at them, smiled, and waved, then continued on my journey. I *promise* I'll post a revue of the madison show Real Soon Now. Luckily, i've got the setlist copied down to facilitate my memory. -CB ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Apology to Boba, New (Old) album? Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 14:05:44 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Ruprecht76@aol.com: >I remember when I got Misc. T my sister said something about a four song tape >that either she or her ex-boyfriend had with It's Not My Birthday on it, but >I suppose that could have been the regular single... BTW, is there anything That's probably the "They'll Need a Crane" EP. My copy Might Be burnt to a Chrisp in a car fire; otherwise it's hiding at my father's house somewhere. I scanned the cover and interior photo from it; it's available (still!) from the ftp site (max.physics.sunysb.edu:/pub/tmbg/pictures/needcran.gif or something close) -CB ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Live in NYC Date: Wed, 03 Apr 96 12:09:00 P I was jsut listening to Live in NYC. Was this concert on TV or something, because that chic on the tape presented as in that we were watching it. If so does any body have a copy of this concert on VHS? just curious Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Re: whoa. Date: Wed, 03 Apr 96 12:09:00 P >No Epic's a different label. They are on Elektra :) (I know what you mean >I'm >just being a smart ass) >Anyway who ever said anything about the umpire. >I think They already did a fingertip about it. >It goes: "I'm having a heart attack! I'm having a heart attack!" >And what did you all think of the Swales? Well, some one got really messed up here. They, as in who ever wrote the WHOA message meant that Flood was and epic album as in epic being an adjative. Not as in Epic the label. At least that's what I think. Just my 2 cents. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 14:32:48 -0600 (CST) From: "Tasha E. Kelter" <00208045@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: whoa. On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, David Gonzalez wrote: > > still the best opener I'd seen for TMBG (but then again I never saw > > Frank Black) > > ..amy > > THE ABSOLUTE, POSITIVLEY best opener for TMBG was > Pere Ubu!!!! Just thought I would chime in my thoughts > on the "opening band" thing..... When did they open for TMBG! They're my favorite band - btw. :) Franky was awesome, when i saw him in Boulder he played two guitars at once, and just played by himself, it really tore. tasha ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 96 15:51:03 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Real Audio Concert I was reading on the Web's home page today and they said that the feed was disconnected by TMBG's sound engeneer upon thier request. I wonder why TMBG wanted the feed disconncect and I wonder why if they agreed to do this concert over the internet they would have the feed disconnected. The world may never know.... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 16:48:14 -0600 From: Katrina Hockin Subject: TMBG on the Web Last night have way though the concert TMBG decided they did not want to be on the web anymore so they had the so guy pull the pug. The people from the WEB did not know until it was too late. That is why the connection was all of a sudden lost. Katrina $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $ $ $ My life is now complete. $ $ $ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:51:50 +0000 Subject: New Songs? When I was listening to the Real Audio concert last night (the little that was played) John (I'm not sure which one) said that they'd been playing a lot of new songs lately because of (something garbled) and that they were still a little rusty at them. Now the garbled something almost sounded like he said new album, but I couldn't hear it properly, and I assume if he had actually said that there would be a lot of discussion about it going on right now. So.... does anyone know what he really did say? Wilbz ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:12:06 -0600 From: Katrina Hockin Subject: Re: New Songs? At 05:51 PM 4/3/96 +0000, you wrote: >When I was listening to the Real Audio concert last night (the little >that was played) John (I'm not sure which one) said that they'd been >playing a lot of new songs lately because of (something garbled) and >that they were still a little rusty at them. Now the garbled >something almost sounded like he said new album, but I couldn't hear >it properly, and I assume if he had actually said that there would be >a lot of discussion about it going on right now. So.... does anyone >know what he really did say? > Wilbz > > Yes, he did say that they were going to be making a new album soon. Katrina $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $ $ $ My life is now complete. $ $ $ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: apf? Date: Wed, 03 Apr 96 15:41:00 P Does any body know where APF around on the list. Any way, I need to talk to him desperately. If any body knows where he is, please inform me!!! Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 17:39:08 -0600 (CST) From: "Tasha E. Kelter" <00208045@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG on the Web On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Katrina Hockin wrote: > Last night have way though the concert TMBG decided they did not want to be > on the web anymore so they had the so guy pull the pug. The people from the > WEB did not know until it was too late. That is why the connection was all > of a sudden lost. > Katrina Why would they do that??? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:42:30 -0600 From: Katrina Hockin Subject: Re: TMBG on the Web At 05:39 PM 4/3/96 -0600, you wrote: > >On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Katrina Hockin wrote: > >> Last night have way though the concert TMBG decided they did not want to be >> on the web anymore so they had the so guy pull the pug. The people from the >> WEB did not know until it was too late. That is why the connection was all >> of a sudden lost. >> Katrina > >Why would they do that??? > > I dunno. All I know is that is what a guy from the WEB wrote to one of my friends that went to the concert with me. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $ $ $ My life is now complete. $ $ $ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:51:20 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: voting All: Due to some freak accident on my part, X-Files got deleted from that long list to be voted on for the top 20 things tmbg fans all seem to have in common. If you wish to vote for the X-files, you still can, even if you have voted already. Just mail me with that vote. kerrel@uwec.edu Thanks, Ana Ng :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:59:28 -0600 (CST) From: TomLeitl Subject: New album.. This is more directed to Willy Nun...but they are coming out with a new album soon..I heard they were going to begin recording after this mini tour they're currently on...does anybody know any more details??? Vic... "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful" o o ^*\ "Life is a placebo, masquerading as a simile" /*^ / > < \ ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com (John Iacoletti) Subject: Re: Jim Polk Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 19:18:06 -0600 (CST) Ruprecht76@aol.com writes: > anyway on the subject of the song, the line that says something about him not > trying to seek a second term isn't true because he tried very not to let > Zachary Taylor become popular in the Mexican War, and then did run against > him and lost.... I think you're wrong about this. Taylor was a Whig, and his Democratic opponent in 1848 was Lewis Cass ("a general and expansionist"). -- John Iacoletti IBM - Team AIX Austin, Texas johniac@austin.ibm.com or johniac@vnet.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 20:44:11 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: TMBG on the Web On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Katrina Hockin wrote: > Last night have way though the concert TMBG decided they did not want to be > on the web anymore so they had the so guy pull the pug. The people from the > WEB did not know until it was too late. That is why the connection was all > of a sudden lost. > Katrina > $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ > $ $ > $ My life is now complete. $ > $ $ > $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ > > I'm not sure what language this is but it sure is interesting. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 20:52:55 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: Digested Boba Mail: Who's going??? On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, BOBA FETT wrote: > I am going to E-Town!! > > Who's Going? What's the secret handshake? > Are we all wearing brand new Indian Headdresses? > Are we all bringing Ty Cobb Cards? > I'm wearing my Boba Fett T-shirt for easy identification!! > Maybe we should get TMBG-List buttons or hats or shirts or socks or > something to show we are cool!!!!!!!!!!!! > > I'm typing faster than I'm thinking now. STOP! Breathe, o.k. > > Anyway, what's the scoop? Let me in on what's going down. > > Boba E-Out! > I am going to E-town but I do not know how you will know me. Hmm...I'll try to think of some easily identifiable form of identification. Of course if I see a guy in a Boba Fett T shirt I can just introduce myself...I'm driving a real long way so I really want to meet some of you. Then, next time They come to Toronto you can all come and have someone there you know! Mike. http://yucc.yorku.ca/~alex not done yet but there nonetheless ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 20:55:13 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: syncronicity On Wed, 3 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 96-04-03 07:16:14 EST, M.M.Iles@reading.ac.uk (Mark M. > Iles) writes: > > > Delicatessen, Rear Window, Terminator, Trainspotting, Pulp > >Fiction, The Wages of Fear, Metropolis, Westworld, Amateur, Dog Day > >Afternoon, When Harry Met Sally, The Third Man, Short Cuts, Trains Planes > >and Automobiles, Man Bites Dog, The Thirty Nine Steps, Beyond the Valley > >of the Dolls, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Yellow Submarine, The > >Untouchables, Beauty and the Beast, and lots, lots more. > You've forgotten the best movie of all LOGAN'S RUN here> > Well if you're gonna do that then what about Rollerball? heh heh Mike. "Robin, the theatre needs you. Now I'm going off to sell Volvos." -John Houseman to Robin Williams ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 21:00:22 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: the photo phantom strikes again! yes kids, that's why they call me aimee. aimee with the camera. i got some KEEN pictures at the evanston concert last weekend. i just got my pics back and wanted to cry. here's a mental picture: imagine copy shop clerk sitting on the floor with my photo album, scratching at the plastic protecting john linnell..... if you want a pretty good photo of either/both flans or linnell, let me know, i can make copies. they aren't professional looking, they were taken over my head, but they aren't bad, either. i suppose it's a matter of perspective. have a good night, aims `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` "I don't fall in love, I just fall." -Paul Sebold EAT KRILL FOR A BETTER AMERICA aimee elisabeth pflieger http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 20:06:45 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: Barenaked Ladies in Entertainment Weekly Hello. I was just wondering if anyone saw what I did in Entertainment Weekly (it's great to have a roommate who subscribes to things...) BARENAKED LADIES: SHOE BOX (Reprise Records/Warner Interactive, for PC and Mac, $7.99) The provocatively named, though fully clothed, Canadian male quartet-- imagine early R.E.M. meet the Housemartins-- bring their delightful harmonies and average-guy looks to a new audio/video arena...(and so on)...samples of every song from their two previous albums, one unreleased tune, six full length videos...a spirited and kooky romp. Cool, eh? They give it a b+. -jenny, who can't find anything interesting to say, so she won't say anything at all. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 20:21:14 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: As long as I'm an unrelated thing... There's a really good band from the Texas/Arkansas area called Trout Fishing in America. I don't know if any of you have heard of them, but I'm 99.44% positive that you would all love them. So, if you happen to be in any of these areas and be excessively bored, I advise you to check them out (these are just the dates for April and May that are outside Texas. If for some reason you'd like the dates for Texas, I'd be happy to give them to you. And I'll taunt you with the June dates later, as they'll be in places like New Jersey.) : Friday, April 19 - Texas Union Ballroom Austin, TX - (512)471-8228 Thurs. & Sat, May 2 & 4 - New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival New Orleans, LA - (800)488-5252 Friday, May 10 - The Handlebar Greenville, SC - (803)233-6173 Saturday, May 11 - The Down Home Johnson City, TN - (615)929-9822 Sunday, May 19 - Old Town School of Folk Music Chicago, IL (7 PM, Kids' concert, 2PM) - (312)525-7793 Sat. and Sun, May 25 & 26 - Jam on the River Philadelphia, PA (215)336-2000 -jenny, who really loves Trout Fishing In America. can you tell? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 20:35:54 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: Re: As long as I'm an unrelated thing... Oh, wait, and I know that Austin is in Texas, but I know there are people on this list who are in Austin and they might appreciate it as well. Umm, ok. -jenny, who's a geography whiz. ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Talk... Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 20:56:50 -0600 (CST) Greetings... I know all of you are really sick of these, but..... It's 9:00 Central time zone right now, I'm bored, and I'll be at the computer for another half hour or so.... If anyone wants to ytalk me or something like that, go right ahead: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu is where I'll be. (not the sncac address in my .sig.... I just use that for email). -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Hoopla! Date: Wed, 3 Apr 96 22:59:55 EST Hoopla all you other listees out there! If anyone remembers back to when I began talking about my seminar... well I did it on March 15th and it was a great sucess. My teacher gave me something like 300 out of 250 points overall. As soon as I got home from that, I recieved my tapes from Cuper Vargas (Thanks again!) and smiled wryly to myself at the irony of the situation, getting them too late to involve them, but I was still overjoyed! And now, I hear the news that They will be releasing a new album soon! I'm totally overjoyed! I'm most definitely going to reserve that as soon as the release date is announced. Also: everyone, remember to go see Kids In The Hall : Brain Candy on Friday because They Might Be Giant's song Spiralling Shape will be in the soundtrack. I may end up buying that one (Doh! even better, I'll ask my nice (right) parents for it for my birthday!) Well, I wanted to ask everyone something who ever listened to John Linnell's state songs: What exactly is going on for the extra 15 minutes or so of nevada? Why is this in the song? But hey: I hope I have my $3.50 to go to the movies Friday! see ya'll later.... -Tom I guess (The Aunt crawling up your back (heh heh)) -- ------------------------------ From: Andrew John CALLAGHAN Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 14:15:05 +1000 (EST) Subject: Re: Digested Boba Mail: Who's going??? On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, BOBA FETT wrote: > > > I am going to E-Town!! > > > > Who's Going? What's the secret handshake? > > Are we all wearing brand new Indian Headdresses? > > Are we all bringing Ty Cobb Cards? > > I'm wearing my Boba Fett T-shirt for easy identification!! > > Maybe we should get TMBG-List buttons or hats or shirts or socks or > > something to show we are cool!!!!!!!!!!!! > > > > I'm typing faster than I'm thinking now. STOP! Breathe, o.k. > > > > Anyway, what's the scoop? Let me in on what's going down. > > > > Boba E-Out! > > > I am going to E-town but I do not know how you will know me. > Hmm...I'll try to think of some easily identifiable form of identification. > Of course if I see a guy in a Boba Fett T shirt I can just introduce > myself...I'm driving a real long way so I really want to meet some of > you. Then, next time They come to Toronto you can all come and have > someone there you know! > Mike. > http://yucc.yorku.ca/~alex > not done yet but there nonetheless > Well, I wish TMBG would come back to Australia, that way any of you guys who want to come out HERE could have someone you know... Maybe thats pushing it just a bit far, huh? Andrew C "Make a hole with a gun, perpendicular..." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 22:37:18 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: another error Due to another mysterious error MONTY PYTHON was absent from the big list. I need all of you Python fans out there to include that in your voting. :) Thanks all! :) Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: linnell ot Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 03:45:09 -0500 (EST) Well, I saw that Ocean Spray commercial today with the guy from the Aaron Burr commercial that looks like Linnell. I finally got the O'Tannenbaum record today too. I love how it is green! I also think it's cool that it's in German, wacky. Christmas Cards is strange too. I wonder who keeps stealing their Christmas Cards? I think that's all the Giants news for now! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: photos Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 03:54:37 -0500 (EST) Anyone have any idea if e-town will be anal about taking pictures there? I know a friend who's into Photography but has been worried about not being able to use his camera. He was lucky that he didn't at the Trocadero/Philly show as they frisked us and I think didn't allow anything in. And on the real-audio broadcast, doesn't it seem strange that they had this whole thing advertised and ready to go and then the TMBg sound guy pulls out the plug? I mean, you'd think they'd asked TMBG beforehand about doing this, why would they possibly change their mind? I can't imagine they wouldn't ask them before the concert? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-95 *****************************