Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-96 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 96 Friday, 5 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: They Might be Damned... Re: your mail State Songs and Mono Puff Re: the photo phantom strikes again! Re: your mail x-files New (Old) album? Re: New (Old) album? Re: Linnell 23 ideas Polk stamps Australian import of John Henry? Re: Hoopla! Indianapolis show (cool thing) *ding* PHOTOS UP! TABLE 32! The name change Re: linnell ot Champaign Re: linnell ot Re: linnell ot ATTN: The New TMBG Album! Kids in Hall Re: TMBG on the Web Re: Champaign I have the 23 connection!! The concert.... Re: ATTN: The New TMBG Album! One Last Time, I promise! Kids in the hall Re: Champaign They Might Be In the Hall? Re: They Might Be In the Hall? Re: They Might Be In the Hall? Mono PUff New Album Re: Mono PUff destraught Re: New Album Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: They Might be Damned... Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 00:08:46 -0800 (PST) > Hi all! > > Yesterday I took a glance at the back cover of "Another Damned Seattle > Compilation" which I had bought long time ago, and discovered that there > were two titles performed by the Young Fresh Fellows. Must be the ones > They sing about in "Twisting". I like the Damned, but never thought > there is a link to Them. AHHHH... Listen to this. Even though it could be just that, you maust also weigh the possibility that its just any up and coming band. Who could forget Them replacing "young fresh fellows" with "Primus" on the NY Live 6 Track CD... a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (The Administrator) Subject: Re: your mail Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 00:12:00 -0800 (PST) > > Ummm.... I'm sorry, but I lost the letter from whoever, which told how to > change the user name. If possible, can someone either foward it to me, or > mail me, telling me what I forgot? Thanks. > I told ya... the command was "chfn". (Change Full Name). I hope that was it. a d m i n | | D M I N A | The Administrator | M I N A D | Joey Drago | I N A D M | joeyd@netcom.com | N A D M I | Formerly Mister DJ | (JD) -Admin ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 02:24:07 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: State Songs and Mono Puff I've been hearing lots of things about Linnell's State Song's and Flanny's Mono Puff (or is it the other way around... I'm so confused lately). Where can I get my grubby little paws on copies of these? None of the stores I've checked here have heard of them (however, most don't keep Them in stock anyway, evil bastards). Any suggestions would be appreciated. ________________ Jenna Davis jenna@onramp.net "If love isn't forever and it's not the weather, hand me my leather..." -Tori Amos ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 20:54:56 +1000 (EST) From: Jason Harper Subject: Re: the photo phantom strikes again! On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Lady J wrote: > > yes kids, that's why they call me aimee. aimee with the camera. > > i got some KEEN pictures at the evanston concert last weekend. i just got > my pics back and wanted to cry. here's a mental picture: imagine copy > shop clerk sitting on the floor with my photo album, scratching at the > plastic protecting john linnell..... > > if you want a pretty good photo of either/both flans or linnell, let me > know, i can make copies. they aren't professional looking, they were > taken over my head, but they aren't bad, either. > > i suppose it's a matter of perspective. > > have a good night, > aims > > `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` > "I don't fall in love, I just fall." -Paul Sebold > EAT KRILL FOR A BETTER AMERICA > aimee elisabeth pflieger > http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ > ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` > > Is it at all possible for you to scan them in and e-mail them to us. Please Please Please. I thought that was a suitable grovel. Jason ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: your mail Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 07:38:43 -0600 (CST) > I told ya... the command was "chfn". (Change Full Name). > > I hope that was it. Some systems are set up so that chfn won't work... If so, try the command ".passwd -f" or _possibly_ "passwd -f".... It's a handy loophole I've found. -CJ `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Apr 96 09:00:19 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: x-files hey there all. this is somewhat of an unrelated thing, but i thought that a lot of people here might be curious. the *songs in teh key of x* cd is realllly neato, and especially frank black's man of steel. go get it! :D peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:14:25 -0500 (EST) From: Craig Whyte Subject: New (Old) album? I'm going to the station now (to get my Radiothon '96 t-shirt). I will check to see if there are any weird words on the album. Craig (likes Jabbering Trout, not Trout Fishing in America- sorry Jen!) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:28:34 -0500 (EST) From: Craig Whyte Subject: Re: New (Old) album? Ok, here goes.... On side 1 it says- "NO ESCAPE" (718) 367-6962 On side 2 it says- nothing! (no words on this side) This may get more confusing.... Craig ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:11:31 -0600 (CST) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: Re: Linnell On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Tasha E. Kelter wrote: > On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > I have yet to find anyone who reminds me of Flans though. This realy floors me. I had only ever seen pictures of Flans until I went to the show tuesday and I realized that Flans looks just like my dad. Sure my dad is a bit older and grayer but they are the same size weigt hair style and glasses. Weird Joe ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 11:22:42 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Harrington Subject: 23 ideas I hate to add to this silly discussion of the number 23. But my birthday is 06-22-76. 6+2+2+7+6=23! I guess that we all have something in common! Ryan ****************************************** * Ryan Harrington * * -A Marching Chief All The Damn Time! * * -ryanph@freenet.scri.fsu.edu * ****************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 11:25:24 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Polk stamps I think they've been out for many months, but I just found out about them the other day, and bought some. I am of course talking about James K. Polk 32 cent stamps. They're neat. I guess now he's Napoleon of the Stamp! -Sean (just my $0.32) ------------------------------ From: benny79@ibm.net Date: Thu, 04 Apr 96 18:54:26 +0000 Subject: Australian import of John Henry? Hello all. A dilemma has been placed upon my shoulders. I can order the Australian import of John Henry, which claims to be a "double CD". However, I'm not exactly sure what this means. Are there more tracks? Some B-Sides? Rare new illicit photography? The Johns singing with an Australian accent? A live version of J.H. in Australia? Or is it all just the same (albeit good) John Henry that we've all come to know and love. If any kinds souls out there have any information about this CD, could they please privately E-Mail me at: benny79@ibm.net. All I need to know is, is it a good CD, does it have anything new, and is it worth my paltry amount of money. Sank you very much. Dig yourselves thoroughly, >>>>-----Ben Jammin' Campbell-----> ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:20:31 -0500 (EST) From: Zorak Subject: Re: Hoopla! On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > What exactly is going on for the extra 15 minutes or so of > nevada? Why is this in the song? > > -Tom I guess (The Aunt crawling up your back (heh heh)) As far as I can tell, the last 15 minutes are a tape recording that someone was making of a parade, and they accidentally left the tape recorder on after everyone went home. I have to wonder if they just left the tape recorder there, and the day after the parade John Linnell walked by and found it, and picked it up. Another thing that I wonder is if THEY set up the parade specifically with the purpose of recording everyone leaving. I've been wrong before though. I used to be a Republican.(shutter) On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Jenna Davis wrote: > > > Where can I get my grubby little paws on copies of these? (State songs > and Mono-Puff) Well, I have yet to find or hear of anyone who has found them in a record shop. You might possibly be able to get a copy at a record convention, but that's unlikely (all the ones I've attended have had little or no TMBG). The best way to get them is through the Hello Club. It's a bit expensive, but if you chip in with a few friends, it's not that bad. I currently do not own Mono Puff, but I have a 12th generation copy of State Songs. I have joined the Club, and I'm waiting to receive my music. So, if there any postal workers reading, HURRY UP WITH MY GIANTS! On a different note, I saw They at the Mercury Lounge in the City last Thursday. It was an awesome show, the new songs are great, and Flansburgh sang like a girl upon request. They had another guitarist with them. Eric something, I think. I don't remember his last name. A friend of mine went two weeks before me, and snatched the lyrics to the S.E.X.X.Y., a really cool new song. That's about it for now. More later. --Snowball In Hell ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:34:17 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Subject: Indianapolis show (cool thing) Somebody was pointing out highlights of the 4/1 Indy show, and I wanted to add one pointanother (okay, so this was only a highlight for me, nobody else probably noticed it...): During the end of Ana Ng Linnell slipped a few bars of Jingle Bells into the keyboard part. I always enjoy these subtle little bits of sly musical humor he injects into shows when he's having fun. And that was probably the biggest highlight of all - the crowd was well-behaved, the band was happy, and a good time was had by all. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 13:00:27 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: *ding* PHOTOS UP! TABLE 32! ok, here's the skinny on the pics. as soon as i get around to it (and you're just going to have to be patient) i'll get the photos scanned on my web page. if you still want your own personal, special, matte-finish print, letta me know. your humble servant, aims `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` "I don't fall in love, I just fall." -Paul Sebold EAT KRILL FOR A BETTER AMERICA aimee elisabeth pflieger http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 13:01:00 -0500 (EST) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: The name change It really depends on what system you're using if you want to change your full name..... for mine (pine), you have to go into Setup, then Config, and change it in there...... Later, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ If I had a home page, it's address would be here. But I don't. Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 12:28:24 -0600 (CST) From: "Tasha E. Kelter" <00208045@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: linnell ot On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Well, I saw that Ocean Spray commercial today with the guy from the > Aaron Burr commercial that looks like Linnell. What Ocean Spray commercial? i thought that the only commercial with that guy in it was the milk one. tasha, way behind the times as usual :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:43:33 -0600 (CST) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: Champaign Hi guys, I just wanted to give some coments on the 4/2 show: If you weren't there They changed the last song to The end of the tour because it was the end of the tour.. They said that theyed be back in the fall. The swails (Sorry if your offended) sucked. They did the little radio song thing but it didn't realy seem as cool as what I was imagining. After the concert one of the roadies crumpled up a set list and tossed and I caught it, (ssouvenier) If you were there Do the Johns not like playing music from Flood? It seemed like Linnel was being a (Sory Again) jerk to those of us who were singing along. Just a word Joe ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 96 14:02:37 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: linnell ot > On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > Well, I saw that Ocean Spray commercial today with the guy from the > > Aaron Burr commercial that looks like Linnell. > > What Ocean Spray commercial? i thought that the only commercial with that > guy in it was the milk one. > > tasha, way behind the times as usual :) > Its the one where the all those people are at the convience store and the guy at the counter says "I know what you crave, you crave the wave!" And then all these people are in the freezer getting one and then the arron burr guy is one of them getting one. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 14:28:15 -0500 (EST) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: linnell ot On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Tasha E. Kelter wrote: > What Ocean Spray commercial? i thought that the only commercial with that > guy in it was the milk one. That guy has been in 500 billion commercials. He's all over the place. I especially enjoyed his performance in Pauley Shore's "Jury Duty" (That was sarcastic. I don't think that anyone could like that movie.) I really don't think he looks that much like Linnell, though. He did Little Caesar's commercials a while back too. And he was in a number of sketches on the old Fox show, "The Sunday Comics" which may or may not still being rerun on VH1. Why I remember all this, I have no idea. I really don't watch that much TV anymore. Really, I don't. --Jack Curley jcurley@ramapo.edu ryanflynn@ysp.com http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 14:48:25 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: ATTN: The New TMBG Album! Ben or Been here. ***BO ORLOFF*** PLEASE READ. Everyone else too. I think, following the trail of themes that arise from the alba that TMBG do, the new TMBG album should have a compatible title. My offering: _The Empire of the Empirical_. Why? Well, TMBG is moving toward an empirical view of the universe with their albums. *They start off with "meaninglessness" in the pink album. Many of the songs deal with insanity and paranoia, like the movie after which the band gets its name. Existential in feel. What do we have? "Absolutely Bill's Mood." "Boat of Car." "Everything Right Is Wrong Again." "32 Footsteps." Paranoia galore. The songs have such an insane feel, that their insanity reads as meaningless. *Then, they move to themes of "guidance" with their next album _Lincoln_. Lincoln, apart from a special town name, was a "great" American leader. The artwork by Dewan helps back up the American presidential feel. The singers search for people who will "guide" them in their pursuits, to give meaning to their lives. For instance, "Purple Toupee" (will show the way). "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" (a selfless scarecrow will copy you). "Cowtown" (where that special cow beneath the sea lurks). "Kiss Me, Son of God" (and the world screams, kiss me, Mr. God). This last song talks of the exploitation of power, and pretty much says: "THE LEADER CAN BE BAD." *Also for _Lincoln_, they reject in "The World's Address" somewhat current theories that try to better explain views of the universe. These "current" views arise from invalidated initial hypotheses, e.g., Copernicus and his attempt to describe planetary motion by rejecting the foundational assumption that the universe is geocentric. It's as if the Johns on _Lincoln_ are searching for spiritual leaders like the Cow, like the President, like the the Son of God, and are adhering to old hypotheses about the nature of the universe (i.e., ignoring Einstein and Copernicus--tell 'em they were wrong). *Their next theme-bound, non-miscellaneous album was _Flood_, and in an earlier post I discussed that album's theme of religion in great detail. In that album, with the last songs, they invalidate the idea of the existence of God, calling It a big-big-fake-fake, king lie. Religion, hence, to TMBG, does not well describe the universe. *TMBG moves toward conquering the galaxy with its next album _Apollo 18_. They start off their album with death ("Dig My Grave"), carrying their insights on The Lie Of God from _Flood_ over to this album. *John & John begin to realize the limits of their senses on this album. They found out in _Flood_ that God hadn't existence. Now, religion is left to the senses: "Every time I look in your eyes I see St. Peter wave." "Every time you call my name I hear the angels [...]" They ask, Do the senses lie or tell us misinformation? Well, they find there are some difficulties with perception: Language sometimes gets in the way. "Words fail." Palindromes appear. Mysterious whispers. Mysterious whispers. ***Perhaps the Johns try to say that the senses cannot experience fully: because language has limitations (it fails), and because sometimes we hallucinate (when we're high, by the fault of a statue), and because sometimes a hypnotic state can keep us from our normal selves (as in "Hypnotist of Ladies"), and sometimes there are mysterious things our senses cannot pin down (fingertips, heart attack, something grabbed a hold of my hand which I don't know what did and that's when the *trouble* began), and because sometimes we're too wide-eyed and unfocused (as in "Narrow Your Eyes"), and because we're among the mammals hoping to survive (standing in between extinction and the explosive growth), and because sometimes we're trained into not doing something (like Pavlov's dogs), and because objects in the rear view mirror appear closer than they really are (she seems much bigger to me), and just because ... we're shy. *We stand before the universe, where the constellations run and the lion runs its spaceship, with our *fault-ridden* senses. But then how do we understand the universe?! Acting meaninglessly has done nothing for us, as says the pink album. Following our chosen leaders does nothing too--ends in a dictatorship (_Lincoln_). _Flood_ says religion is a lie, so we can't understand the universe that way. And now, with _Apollo 18_, our senses have faults and limitations. Gee whiz. What do we do? *Well, John & John tackle this problem in _John Henry_. They go for the lessons in folk stories, to see what folk stories reveal about the world and to see what we can understand about the universe. TMBG suggests that there's something out there subliminally. "Subliminal." Our senses cannot handle the subliminal or backwards messages at the ends of songs--our sensory limitations acknowledged. They examine what other people think so they can gather their own understandings about the universe: "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed [..]" "Philosopher dirt bike." "I was careless. I can see that now. I must be silent." "Stomp box, speak my thought." "Shout your missive." "Tell the wordless message." "As I got hit by a car, there was a message for me." "I should be allowed to glue my poster. I should be allowed to think." "Some have forgotten the flower of speech, and walks through the garden where I go to defend misbegotten notions [...]" "Ask me--now I understand the words that Alice said." *All of these lyrics talks about "messages"--the desire to get them out, the desire to read them or see them, etc. TMBG searches for meaning by looking at what other people have said. They don't necessarily adopt any of the views each song's character expresses, they just lay them out for you to hear, for you to formulate your own impressions. This album accomodates their idea of sensory limitation, in that no two people will get the same interpretation because 1) many perspective are portrayed on their album, and 2) something subliminal "in an unnoticeable way" will influence each person differently. Therefore, meaning is individual, and meaning thus lies within the person. ***This WHOLE idea is moving toward an empirical description of the universe. Empiricism embraces the notion that the senses have limitations, and therefore, since our senses have limitations, we can never have certain knowledge. We utilize the inductive method of understanding reality, a method by which we find "strong possibilities" for future events instead of "absolute certainty" of future events. They are moving toward the world philosopher David Hume described, general-semanticist Alfred Korzybski described. Instead of telling Albert Einstein that he was wrong (as someone intended on doing in "The World's Address"), they will work more toward understanding the universe from his relativity perspective. Meaning is relative. TMBG is trying to understand the universe: they now want proper evidence, empirical data, to discover the strong possibilities of the universe. They want to call their next album, _The Empire of the Empirical_. Send comments to Ben or Been and the Digest. Empirically, Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Kids in Hall Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 19:18:15 -0500 (EST) Hey all, I had heard that the Kids in the Hall movie with the TMBG song is starting tomorrow. Is this tru or just some bad rumor? I hope it is true! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 17:29:18 -0600 From: Katrina Hockin Subject: Re: TMBG on the Web At 08:44 PM 4/3/96 -0500, you wrote: >On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Katrina Hockin wrote: > >> Last night have way though the concert TMBG decided they did not want to be >> on the web anymore so they had the so guy pull the pug. The people from the >> WEB did not know until it was too late. That is why the connection was all >> of a sudden lost. >> Katrina >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ >> $ $ >> $ My life is now complete. $ >> $ $ >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ >> >> > I'm not sure what language this is but it sure is interesting. > Mike. > > Sorry guys about this message I was not paying attention to what I was writing. I was at work and I was really tired. Then message should have read as follows: Last night halfway though the concert John and John decided they did not want the concert on the web anymore so they had the sound guy pull the connection for the web from the sound board. The people from the WEB did not know about this until it was too late. That is why you guys all of a sudden lost the connection. Katrina $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $ $ $ My life is now complete. $ $ $ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 17:56:30 -0600 From: Katrina Hockin Subject: Re: Champaign At 12:43 PM 4/4/96 -0600, you wrote: >Hi guys, > > I just wanted to give some coments on the 4/2 show: > >If you weren't there > >They changed the last song to The end of the tour because it was the end of >the tour.. > >They said that theyed be back in the fall. > >The swails (Sorry if your offended) sucked. I agree and so did the two people with me. >They did the little radio song thing but it didn't realy seem as cool as >what I was imagining. The radio did not work as well as they wanted it to. > >After the concert one of the roadies crumpled up a set list and tossed >and I caught it, (ssouvenier) > >If you were there > >Do the Johns not like playing music from Flood? It seemed like Linnel >was being a (Sory Again) jerk to those of us who were singing along. > >Just a word >Joe > > > My friends and I were told to sit down by some security guard. Something about none of the people that were behind us were standing so they could not see. Katrina $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $ $ $ My life is now complete. $ $ $ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 18:08:17 -0600 (CST) From: Adam Procter Subject: I have the 23 connection!! Yes, I have found the connection to the number 23... the envelope please? (drumroll) "Free when you call from work!" (The dial-a-song slogan for those who don't know... or at least the slogan on the back of the self-titled CD.) It's got 23 letters. :-) -- Adam Procter aprocter@mail.coin.missouri.edu http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4386 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 17:59:06 -0700 (GMT-0700) From: Joyce Frost Subject: The concert.... Okies, I didnt hear the concert *SNIFF* ( one more TMBG expierience I missed). I managed to download the RA thingie and connect at 28.8, but it wouldnt let me on to the station...I must have been too late...ANyway, my version of netscape went haywire in the process and now endlessly is trying to download a file. It will not stop, so it looks like I have to download it through something else, and then reload it, so lets just say the whole thing kinda screwed with my day, and I am still longing to hear TMBG live...*Dammit I will make a concert...some year* -Joycie Joyce Frost the psychotic poet crazed by Dandelions... frostjo@Math.Enmu.edu "My room is comfortably small with rubber lining the walls, and there's someone always calling my name. He calls when I'm alone. He calls when I'm not home and he calls when I'm left out in the rain. I'm insane..." -TheyMightBeGiants "Existance is futile..." -Joyce Frost ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 20:20:08 -0500 (EST) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: ATTN: The New TMBG Album! On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote way too much to reprint. BUT, we can summarize it as thus: > TMBG has been trying to figure out the universe. THEY have taken one > topic per album, pondered it , and eventually dismissed it. From their > prevous discoveries, we can assume that THEY are heading towards an > empirical view of the universe, so the next album should be titled > _Empire of the Empirical_, or something like that. My rebuttal: I don't think so. I think you've drawn these conclusions, not THEY. I think that the occasional wrongly heard lyric, that you demonstrated in your letter, has lead you to a skewed vision of the big picture. John Linnell once said that THEY don't assign meanings to their songs. So THEY probably don't assign meanings to their albums either. Even if THEY've drawn the same conclusions that you say THEY have, there is other room to roam besides the empirical standpoint. How about this: THEY tried all thet other stuff, and now THEY realize the meaning: To have fun, and make good music for all their listeners to enjoy. THEY could call the album _Fill In The Blank_, or whatever THEY feel like calling it, cause HEY, it's their album. But that's just my take on the situation. Draw your own conclusions. Please. --Jack Curley jcurley@ramapo.edu http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Apr 96 01:58:47 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: One Last Time, I promise! For what I promise is the very last time...What is the 1800 number to the Hello CD Club? I know it involves the word hello and the number 4, but the rest escaped from my memory. ;P By the way, is there ANYBODY else here in Atlanta on this list? Alan O- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 21:17:46 -0500 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Kids in the hall Hey, i just saw the preview for that Kids in the Hall movie, and at the end they had the list of the bands who have songs in it, and TMBG was there! Its not a rumor : ) <<<<<{a}{m}{y}>>>>> -- Registered ICC User check out http://www.usefulware.com/icc.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 20:21:55 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: Re: Champaign >The swails (Sorry if your offended) sucked. I TOTALLY aree. Also, my friend's dad made us leave after the first (mabye only) encore. Was there more. Please tell me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 18:52:58 -0800 (PST) From: Littlewood Subject: They Might Be In the Hall? I saw an ad for "Brain Candy", the Kids in the Hall movie, with music by Pavement, Matthew Sweet, Liz Phair and They Might Be Giants. Wow.. hope They get some good stuff played. Anyone else know more about this? The web site for the movie is http://www.thebig.com/braincandy -JL- --- What was that TMBG page URL? Why its http://www.europa.com/~alittlew/tmbg.html of course! Send comments and suggestions to alittlew@europa.com. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 22:51:05 -0500 Subject: Re: They Might Be In the Hall? > I saw an ad for "Brain Candy", the Kids in the Hall movie, with >music by Pavement, Matthew Sweet, Liz Phair and They Might Be Giants. >Wow.. hope They get some good stuff played. Anyone else know more about >this? The web site for the movie is http://www.thebig.com/braincandy Yes, the song "Spiralling Shapes" is very, very good, and actually sounds like it was written for the movie, or at least with the movie in mind (unlike "Sensurround, which is also good but wasted on the MIghty Morphin you-know-what's soundtrack). BTW, the soundtrack should be out on April 9. Also, just to avoid confusion, that Brain Candy web site lists the TMBG song as "Sick Dick Pimp," or something, which is definitely _wrong_. I'm just wondering where SS is gonna be used in the film--since it sums up the movie so well, my guess is over the closing credits. That is all. Kay ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 22:53:18 +0000 Subject: Re: They Might Be In the Hall? > I saw an ad for "Brain Candy", the Kids in the Hall movie, with > music by Pavement, Matthew Sweet, Liz Phair and They Might Be Giants. > Wow.. hope They get some good stuff played. Anyone else know more about > this? The web site for the movie is http://www.thebig.com/braincandy I do believe the name of the song is "Spiraling Shape", They've been playing it at a lot of their concerts lately (including the Paradise show that I was at). It's not a bad song, although it will be interesting to see where they put the song in the movie. Wilbz ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 21:10:02 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Mono PUff I was using one of those funky machines at Borders, and it had MOno Puff listed. So, if you can find one of those funky machies they will let you order Mono Puff now, and contact you when it arrives...BTW it only had Back to Skull as a single that I could find, so want to be single collectors like me this idea is only a partial sucess. I do have MOno PUff and Back To Skull ordered... -Joyce Joyce Frost the psychotic poet crazed by Dandelions... frostjo@Math.Enmu.edu "My room is comfortably small with rubber lining the walls, and there's someone always calling my name. He calls when I'm alone. He calls when I'm not home and he calls when I'm left out in the rain. I'm insane..." -TheyMightBeGiants "Existance is futile..." -Joyce Frost ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 21:14:14 -0800 From: anakin@smartlink.net (Nick Hatton) Subject: New Album No, No, can it be true! A new album? If this be another sham like Freaksicle I shall surely slay myself. Will some one please tell me "everything's gonna be okay. They will make the album, and it will come out on time, you will buy it and be happy." oh well I guess I'll have to wait now. me who stubbornly believes that Freaksicle is still just "delayed" I think that we've...you know? Have had this problem, where we, we try to do something interesting and new and it comes off... as weird, you know? But we're not about being weird, and once you're familiar with what we're doing it's not weird at all, you know? It's just... It's just something interesting and new. -John Linnell geek code ver 3.1 --begin geek code block-- go d- s+:+ a? c++++ w++ n++ o-- w+ m-- ps+ pe y++ t+++ 5-- x+++ r++ tv++ b++++ di+++ d++ g e* h! r% !x+ --end geek code block-- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 22:12:54 -0700 (MST) From: "Nathan C. Burnett" Subject: Re: Mono PUff On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Joyce Frost wrote: > > I was using one of those funky machines at Borders, and it had MOno Puff > listed. So, if you can find one of those funky machies they will let you > order Mono Puff now, and contact you when it arrives...BTW it only had > Back to Skull as a single that I could find, so want to be single > collectors like me this idea is only a partial sucess. I do have MOno > PUff and Back To Skull ordered... > -Joyce > You might flip through teh phonebook in a major city and try and find smaller music shops. Often it's the smaller stores that have the best selection of the non-mainstream stuff like TMBG. Nate --- Nathan C. Burnett "Always in motion is the future" burnettn@enmu.edu http://chestnut.enmu.edu/~burnettn Yoda PGP Key: finger -l burnettn@walnut.enmu.edu ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: destraught Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 02:05:16 -0500 (EST) I don't know what I'm going to do. Not knowing when this Brain Candy movie is going to open is making me pu7ll out my hair and well, just cry. I'm actually crying right now. The stress of not knowing this is just overwhelming, especially because I told people, for some reason I can't figure out, that it was opening tomorrow and that we should all see one of the best comedy troupes of all time with the best band in the world in it! My sorrow is very sorrowful. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: New Album Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 00:04:11 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Nick Hatton: >I shall surely slay myself. Will some one please tell me "everything's >gonna be okay. They will make the album, and it will come out on time, you >will buy it and be happy." oh well I guess I'll have to wait now. They will make the album. However, it will likely NOT come out on time. But WHEN (not if) it does, you will buy it. And you will be happy. Guess you'll have to wait now. :) BTW: anyone remember if Spiraling Shape was played at the Madison or Northwestern concerts? For some reason the song completely evades my memory (and it's not listed on my setlist from the madison show). -Chrispy Bongo ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-96 *****************************