Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-99 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 99 Monday, 8 April 1996 Today's Topics: I'm age-ing! Re: Kids Re: spin ze dial! "They could be windmills or they could be giants" Re: Kids John Henry=5th album? Chess piece face Re: Chess piece face Re: John Henry=5th album? Re: Good Stuff (AGES) Spin ze dial! Re: "They could be windmills or they could be giants" Kids in the Hall??? Re: "They could be windmills or they could be giants" Re: Kids in the Hall??? Re: John Henry=5th album? 5th album Re: Brain Candy TMBG IRC, New TMBG Page Re: Spin ze dial! a coupla things... Re: Spin ze dial! 5th album Kids Re: Kids in the Hall??? Ages... They in art Re: Spin ze dial! Re: John Henry=5th album? Re: Kids in the Hall??? Re: 5th album Ages Re: Ages Re: John Henry=5th album? Re: John Henry=5th Album? Vital Information Re: Vital Information Re: Vital Information Re: Vital Information Re: Ages Re: Vital Information Re: Vital Information Re: Vital Information Re: Ages Vienna, Virginia Re: Vienna, Virginia Re: Spin ze dial! and Vital Information and Vienna, VA Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 01:31:10 -0600 (CST) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: I'm age-ing! On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > 12 huh. Wow... I am only 17. I wonder how many <18 people are on > the list... > EVERY BODY RESPOND TO THIS! Sorry. I wish. 21 in five days! Gosh, I feel old! --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 01:33:07 -0600 (CST) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Kids On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Thank you! I'm glad our school gave us 3 days off for Easter! joy. Haw! We got nothin'! > On a TMBG note, my friend and I were riding down the highway with our CB > and my friend sttarted singing Birdhouse over one of the channels! Nobody > responded though 8-( Everytime I 'cruise' with a friend, I go by the handle "Apollo 18". Too bad no one in my hometown gets it... :( --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 06:21:06 -0400 (EDT) From: "Adam P. Fistler" Subject: Re: spin ze dial! Yeah but whats the odds of that happening like a million to one? On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I just thought of something. > Wouldn't it be cool if Flans spun that dial and it stoped no > a TMBG song? I guess that'd be pretty easy for them! I wonder > what they'd do? > Matt > -- > ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ > Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond > "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash > Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp > Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass > -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 08:56:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Anne Warren King Subject: "They could be windmills or they could be giants" Oh, I was listening to my friend's Poster Children CD, and in one song there was the line "They could be windmills or they could be giants." It was really spooky because I wasn't paying much attention when I heard the line and I wasn't sure if I was quite sane. I guess TMBG isn't the only band that watched TMBG, the movie. TMBG hearing: they played snail shell during that annoying show "on the road" yesterday. What a shock. Did anyone see Squirt TV on Friday? They showed clips from Brain Candy as well as a commercial that said that TMBG was on the soundtrack. Happy Daylight Savings Time. Anne King wrote that which is above "Anne King wrote that which is above "Anne King wrote that which is above "Anne King wrote that which is above,and so on.... I think I'm confused. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 09:16:34 -0400 Subject: Re: Kids In a message dated 96-04-07 00:57:37 EDT, mjames@justice.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >On a TMBG note, my friend and I were riding down the highway with our CB >and my friend sttarted singing Birdhouse over one of the channels! Nobody >responded though 8-( should said "HAMMERDOWN", "RABITEARS" "It's not enough tp succeed, the others must fail" -someguy ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 09:15:15 -0500 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: John Henry=5th album? Hello everyone! I was reading the liner notes or whatever they're called that come with John Henry and on the last page it said that JH is Their 5th album... this can't be right because: 1. That pink self-titled album 2. Lincoln 3. Flood 4. Misc. T 5. Apollo 18 --6.-- John Henry This puts it as album six... is there one that They're not counting on that paper? anyway.... don't know if it really matters....... have a happy easter! Braham Ketcham: Email: - hexagon@salamander.com - braham_ketcham@mail.decorah.k12.ia.us Web Site: - http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon ------------------------------ From: Blewis17@aol.com Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 10:33:57 -0400 Subject: Chess piece face > > 12 huh. Wow... I am only 17. I wonder how many <18 people are on > > the list... > > EVERY BODY RESPOND TO THIS! Im 17, I think the majority are under 18. Also, can someone post coming TMBG concert dates? ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Chess piece face Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 10:48:00 -0400 (EDT) > Im 17, I think the majority are under 18. Also, can someone post coming TMBG > concert dates? Concert dates are up at http://www.tmbg.com/ -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: John Henry=5th album? Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 11:44:35 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Braham Ketcham: >I was reading the liner notes or whatever they're called that come with John >Henry and on the last page it said that JH is Their 5th album... this can't >be right because: [...] > 4. Misc. T [...] >This puts it as album six... is there one that They're not counting on that >paper? Misc T is a B-sides compilation and not, therefore, a fullblown "album." -CB ------------------------------ From: LtAldus@aol.com Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:00:57 -0400 Subject: Re: Good Stuff (AGES) Me. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 18:06:06 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Spin ze dial! > On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > I just thought of something. > > Wouldn't it be cool if Flans spun that dial and it stoped no > > a TMBG song? I guess that'd be pretty easy for them! I wonder > > what they'd do? > > Matt It'd be even stranger if they were being broadcast live on the radio and tuned into that... Then they'd be able to play anything. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 18:08:58 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: "They could be windmills or they could be giants" On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Anne Warren King wrote: > > Oh, I was listening to my friend's Poster Children CD, and in one song > there was the line "They could be windmills or they could be giants." > It was really spooky because I wasn't paying much attention when I heard > the line and I wasn't sure if I was quite sane. I guess TMBG isn't the only > band that watched TMBG, the movie. Or, of course, they may just have been referring to Don Quixote :) Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 18:11:11 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Kids in the Hall??? Hiya, Could someone explain to me what Kids in the Hall is? I understand that it's a movie based on some TV sitcom, but what's it about? Is it funny? It sounds suspiciously like Saved By The Bell, but I hope I'm wrong... Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 12:20:09 -0500 (CDT) From: Adam Procter Subject: Re: "They could be windmills or they could be giants" At 08:56 AM 4/7/96 -0400, you wrote: > >Did anyone see Squirt TV on Friday? They showed clips from Brain Candy >as well as a commercial that said that TMBG was on the soundtrack. > Whaddaya know? They also use Minimum Wage for their theme song... and the guy looks just a little bit like Linnel... at least I think. :-) -- Adam Procter aprocter@mail.coin.missouri.edu http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4386 ------------------------------ From: LtAldus@aol.com Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:19:59 -0400 Subject: Re: Kids in the Hall??? Kids in the Hall was/is a comedy series that is now in reruns. It was done by Lorne Michaels (sp?) , the same guy as Saturday Night Live. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 14:44:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: John Henry=5th album? On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Braham Ketcham wrote: > Hello everyone! > I was reading the liner notes or whatever they're called that come with John > Henry and on the last page it said that JH is Their 5th album... this can't > be right because: > > 1. That pink self-titled album > 2. Lincoln > 3. Flood > 4. Misc. T > 5. Apollo 18 > --6.-- John Henry > > This puts it as album six... is there one that They're not counting on that > paper? > anyway.... don't know if it really matters....... > > have a happy easter! > > Braham Ketcham: > Email: - hexagon@salamander.com - braham_ketcham@mail.decorah.k12.ia.us > Web Site: - http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon > > Well..Misc. T is considered a B-Side Compilation, as opposed to an album..Weird way to look at it eh?.. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 07 Apr 1996 15:41:32 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: 5th album Wouldn't it be Misc.T? i think so, because its not an actual album, its just b-sides, right? <<<<<{a}{m}{y}>>>>> -- Registered ICC User check out http://www.usefulware.com/icc.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 15:16:24 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Brain Candy > I finally saw the trailer for Brain Candy, but was saddly dissapointed > that Spiralling Shape was not used during the preview, nor was the band's > name displayed in the credits. In fact, no bands were credited at all at yeah i took a look at the soundtrack and a bunch of OTHER good bands are on it like Pizzicato 5 and Velocity Girl (i think). Should be good. erik ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 07 Apr 1996 15:47:04 From: Momaw@gnn.com (Josh Younger) Subject: TMBG IRC, New TMBG Page Hi! I suppose some of you know about the IRC channel #tmbg, and if you don't, there is a IRC channel called #tmbg. Are there times when people meet on the channel and talk? If not, lets make a meeting time. If you don't have IRC, you can download it from the web. There are a ton of pages with IRCs on them. Or, as a last resort, for windows users, you can have me email it to you Also, me and my friend (LtAldus, who is on the list also) have made a new TMBG homepage: http://members.gnn.com/Momaw/64worldsfair.htm On it you will find sound, pictures, movies, and a TON of links. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 18:04:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Spin ze dial! On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > It'd be even stranger if they were being broadcast live on the > radio and tuned into that... Then they'd be able to play anything. Actually, then they'd get some really bad feedback and it would be really loud. That would really suck, so we should all hope it never happens. Also, can anyone give me directions to the Etown show? I'm coming from Cleveland, and I don't think I need directions for the whole way (but if you can give them to me...), but I need to know the address of the place, where it's located, where to go once I've parked, etc. Thanks ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 16:41:19 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: a coupla things... OK. I just want to remind everyone once again who hasn't yet, TO VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!! I need more votes! There are too many ties!!!! If anyone needs a copy of the list of choices to vote from, just mail me and I'll send you one. You know, it's kinda funny, now that people have been voting, I've thought of more stuff to add to the list that should be voted on. That sucks... *sigh* Is it the Spiralin Shape song that's going to be in the Kids in the Hall movie???? Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Spin ze dial! Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 20:08:01 -0400 (EDT) > > On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > It'd be even stranger if they were being broadcast live on the > > radio and tuned into that... Then they'd be able to play anything. > > Actually, then they'd get some really bad feedback and it would be really > loud. That would really suck, so we should all hope it never happens. I didn't mean if they were playing them live at the concert on the radio. I meant if they happened to be playing one of their CDs and they just happen to spin to that. I don't think any more feedback would be inv olved than any other song. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: 5th album Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 20:11:44 -0400 (EDT) > > Wouldn't it be Misc.T? i think so, because its not an actual album, > its just b-sides, right? > <<<<<{a}{m}{y}>>>>> Actually, if you count Misc T then Apollo 18 would be the 5th album and if you don't then John Henry would be the 5th. The new one would be the 6th album with all original new songs. They are having a Ressurrection weekend on WHFS (all 80s Modern rock songs! It's awesome!!!) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Kids Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 20:20:26 -0400 (EDT) > > > > > > Hiya, > > > > Could someone explain to me what Kids in the Hall is? I understand that > > it's a movie based on some TV sitcom, but what's it about? Is it funny? It > > sounds suspiciously like Saved By The Bell, but I hope I'm wrong... > Egad, I almost had a heart attack when I sqaw this! ;) > Kids in the Hall is the polar opposite of Saved by the Bell, while SBTB > is extremely stupid, Kids in the Hall is possibly the finest comedy group > ever to be on for the 6 years (I think?) they were on. Fantastically > hilarious! Those Canadians can put out some funny stuff! > Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 19:19:14 -0400 Subject: Re: Kids in the Hall??? >Hiya, > > Could someone explain to me what Kids in the Hall is? I understand that >it's a movie based on some TV sitcom, but what's it about? Is it funny? It >sounds suspiciously like Saved By The Bell, but I hope I'm wrong... > >> > Mark KitH is only the greatest sketch comedy show ever (and largely responsible for my discovery of TMBG to boot). The movie will have some of the characters from the show, but they purpously left out the more well-known ones to avoid a cheap, easy laugh. If you want to know more about it, e-mail me and I'll be happy to enlighten you! Kay, KitH obsessive extrordinaire at your service ------------------------------ From: "LiaR" Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 19:40:58 +0000 Subject: Ages... I'm 17... -----------'~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~'------------------ -----------'____(liar@mail.gil.net)_____'------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 18:07:20 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: They in art I forgot to mention that my latest painting is a picture of TMBG. I got the picture off the internet, and I'm doing a painting of it kind of in James Ensor style. It will be called They meet James Ensor or something like that. It looks cool so far. :) I'm happy about it. Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 20:33:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Spin ze dial! On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Ryan Staib wrote: > On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > It'd be even stranger if they were being broadcast live on the > > radio and tuned into that... Then they'd be able to play anything. > > Actually, then they'd get some really bad feedback and it would be really > loud. That would really suck, so we should all hope it never happens. Actually, if they were being broadcast live, and they tuned into it, they probably wouldn't get feedback. Nowadays most "live" broadcasts are actually operated on a seven-second delay, or sometimes longer. They wouldn't get feedback, just an odd sensation of deja vu. --Jack Curley jcurley@ramapo.edu ryanflynn@ysp.com http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 12:40:36 +1000 (EST) From: Jason Harper Subject: Re: John Henry=5th album? On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Braham Ketcham wrote: > Hello everyone! > I was reading the liner notes or whatever they're called that come with John > Henry and on the last page it said that JH is Their 5th album... this can't > be right because: > > 1. That pink self-titled album > 2. Lincoln > 3. Flood Didn't Flood come before Lincoln ?? Mmm, maybe 'm just lost > 4. Misc. T > 5. Apollo 18 > --6.-- John Henry > > This puts it as album six... is there one that They're not counting on that > paper? Misc. T. I think. > anyway.... don't know if it really matters....... > > have a happy easter! > > Braham Ketcham: > Email: - hexagon@salamander.com - braham_ketcham@mail.decorah.k12.ia.us > Web Site: - http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 20:46:49 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Kids in the Hall??? On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > Could someone explain to me what Kids in the Hall is? I understand that > it's a movie based on some TV sitcom, but what's it about? Is it funny? It > sounds suspiciously like Saved By The Bell, but I hope I'm wrong... Definately NOT Saved By the Bell. No, this comedy is funny... ;) --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ From: LtAldus@aol.com Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 21:46:41 -0400 Subject: Re: 5th album <> What station and where is it based? -zygote ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 07 Apr 1996 21:57:58 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Ages I'm 17 too <<<<<{a}{m}{y}>>>>> -- Registered ICC User check out http://www.usefulware.com/icc.html ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Ages Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 21:37:46 -0500 (CDT) From: amy Well.. I feel lame doing this but... 22, fan since 1989. ..amy ----- Amy Ryan (eighmi@uiuc.edu) ----- http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/eighmi ----- -- never have expectations. keep one foot planted firmly on the ground. let -- the other one roam. no sense squashing all of your hopes... just half of them. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 22:50:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Re: John Henry=5th album? On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Braham Ketcham wrote: > Hello everyone! > I was reading the liner notes or whatever they're called that come with John > Henry and on the last page it said that JH is Their 5th album... this can't > be right because: > > 1. That pink self-titled album > 2. Lincoln > 3. Flood > 4. Misc. T > 5. Apollo 18 > --6.-- John Henry > > This puts it as album six... is there one that They're not counting on that > paper? The one that they don't count is Misc. T.... it's a b-side compilation, not a "real" album. It rules, though. Later, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ If I had a home page, it's address would be here. But I don't. Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: John Henry=5th Album? Date: Sun, 7 Apr 96 23:53:48 18000 If you're gonna start counting all their CD's or tapes as albums, then John Henry would be around the 15th or so. -Tom I guess (The Nut) -- ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 00:41:50 -0400 Subject: Vital Information Hiya'll I just read 4 days of mail, so sorry if this seems old. Me and my friend Phil were listening to A18 and when it got to the "I walk along darkened corridors" song he said, "Why is Kermit the Frog singing?" It was interesting. I was in a car driving on I-71 just outside Colombus, OH, and I saw a place called Cowtown! Anyone else from around there heard of it? I count Misc. T as an album, but does it really matter? I must agree with Tom Hare, that we don't count Mono Puff or any of the singles. And whoever said this, Lincoln was 1988, Flood 1990. I just got the Weird Al "Bad Hair Day" as an early birthday present. I think EYKIW is TMBGish, but for everyone else who has the CD, doesn't the refrain to "I Remember Larry" Sound like the refrain to "See The Constellation"? To the person who said about a carnival song @ the end of "See the Const.", I think that is just the background part and is drowned out by the singing and guitars and all that riffraff. Happy Belated Easter Everyone! JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 23:55:09 -0500 (CDT) From: jenny Subject: Re: Vital Information On Mon, 8 Apr 1996 Jantschman@aol.com wrote: > I was in a car driving on I-71 just outside Colombus, OH, and I saw a place > called Cowtown! Anyone else from around there heard of it? Lots of towns call themselves Cowtown, as a matter of fact. I think Colombus is supposed to be the official one or something, but Ft. Worth, Texas likes the name too, and they've got a restaraunt called "Cowtown." Perhaps it's like in HHGTG, where they meet the meat. That was always my favorite part of that book. Hmmm, did you American list types ever get extremely jealous of British, Canadian and Austrailian list types who get to spell favorite "favourite?" I did. -jenny, who's learned not to slide down banisters in courdoroy pants. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 01:26:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Vital Information There used to be a large house near my college in Mahwah, NJ that had a sign out front that said Cowtown on it. I was going to steal it, but they moved before I had a chance. Oh well. --Jack jcurley@ramapo.edu ryanflynn@ysp.com http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 00:28:11 -0500 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Re: Vital Information >Hmmm, did you American list types ever get extremely jealous of British, >Canadian >and Austrailian list types who get to spell favorite >"favourite?" I did. >-jenny, who's learned not to slide down banisters in courdoroy pants. I always just spelled it that way anyhow... And I don't stand in line for the bathroom, I stand in the queue for the loo... Okay, so this has nothing to do with TMBG, but do any other Americans do this sort of thing? I'm not THAT weird, am I? Am I?! ________________ Jenna Davis jenna@onramp.net ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 01:30:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Ages I'm 19, almost 20. I only look 14, though:) --Jack jcurley@ramapo.edu ryanflynn@ysp.com http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Vital Information Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 02:38:37 -0400 (EDT) > > > I was in a car driving on I-71 just outside Colombus, OH, and I saw a place > > called Cowtown! Anyone else from around there heard of it? > > Lots of towns call themselves Cowtown, as a matter of fact. I think > Colombus is supposed to be the official one or something, but Ft. Worth, > Texas likes the name too, and they've got a restaraunt called "Cowtown." > Perhaps it's like in HHGTG, where they meet the meat. That was always my > favorite part of that book. Hmmm, did you American list types ever get > extremely jealous of British, Canadian and Austrailian list types who get > to spell favorite "favourite?" I did. Yeah and how those Canadians get to spell about "aboot" ;) I was looking at the Power of DAS today because I was taping stuff for my friend and noticed that Counterfeit Fake was on it! I thought this was a new song but apparently it's an oldie! Weird eh? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 01:58:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Vital Information On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Jenna Davis wrote: > > I don't stand in line for the bathroom, I stand in the queue for the loo... > > Okay, so this has nothing to do with TMBG, but do any other Americans > do this sort of thing? I'm not THAT weird, am I? Am I?! I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you... but you're a freak. So, join the club and be happy. We understand you, we appreciate you. Join us on the Dark side... I'm sorry. I got carried away. Just be a freak. Don't conform. --Jack Curley Snowball In Hell blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 01:00:46 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Vital Information On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Jenna Davis wrote: > I always just spelled it that way anyhow... And I don't stand in line > for the bathroom, I stand in the queue for the loo... > > Okay, so this has nothing to do with TMBG, but do any other Americans > do this sort of thing? I'm not THAT weird, am I? Am I?! No, you're just weird. Not that that matters... I have yet to find a "normal" person... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 01:02:43 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Ages On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Snowball In Hell wrote: > I'm 19, almost 20. I only look 14, though:) A lot of people say I look 14... maybe I should stop shaving... Once I went to get my haircut at my hometown and the barber/stylist asked me what grade I was in. I looked at her straight in the eye and said "I'm a senior in college" and she stopped talking the rest of the time. That was the shortest haircut I had, let me tell you... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 02:52:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Vienna, Virginia Hey all! I've recently joined the list, and I thought that I might share an amusing They anecdote with you. Two years ago, on June 18 1994, I drove down to Vienna, Virginia to see They play with two of my friends who I had met a month beforehand. We met at the Rocky Horror Picture Show in Nyack, New York. I was walking around singing "Why Does The Sun Shine?" which I had recently heard on Conan O'Brien, and these two guys came up to me and asked me to go to the concert with them. I shrugged said "okay", and a month later, I went to Virginia with two guys that I barely knew. I don't know why I agreed to go, I wasn't a very big fan at this point, I only owned Flood. But for whatever reason, I went. We drove 5 or 6 hours to get there from our homes in southern NY and northern NJ. We went to the concert, and it was phenomenal. They plated a few songs from John Henry, which hadn't yet come out. They played Sleeping In The Flowers, and said that it was a song that didn't make it onto the album. They also told us that it was indeed a song about marijuana. We somehow managed to make it past the security guards who were checking tickets every five feet, making sure that you weren't moving up further than you were supposed to, and get to the front row all the way from our seats in the back. So we were moshing in the front, and Flans dedicates a song to "the angry young gentlemen in the front" and said "Remember: if you have to kick someone in the face, do it in your own head." That stuck with me. The concert turned me into a full-fledged TMBG junkie. I went out and bought all their albums, and a bunch of singles with unreleased stuff on it. Okay, here comes the good part. We're driving back home the next day, and the car overheats on I-95. We get it to a service station, and the friendly attendant told us that he was removing the thermostat. He told us that the thermostat was a little piece of rubber or plastic or something that is used to keep the car's engine heat inside the system so that it doesn't freeze. He told us that it was basically for use in the winter, and was unnecessary in the summer, so he was going to take it out. We didn't think much about it at the time, but later the meaning was revealed. Three months later, John Henry comes out. I went out and bought it the day that it was released. I went home and opened it up. I saw a song called "Thermostat". I found that amusing. Then I read the lyrics: "There's a thermostat that regulates the temperature that might not be reliable that should be disconnected." That freaked me out. A LOT. Our thermostat WAS disconnected right after seeing them in concert. I am sure that The Johns sabotaged our car. They hate thermostats, and made sure that ours would not be intact for long. Or perhaps They were just advertizing for John Henry. I don't know. I am not sure if They just did our car, or if They have done others. If any of you were at that Vienna show, and had a similar experience, please write me and let me know. In fact, if you have had a similar experience at any They show, please let me know. I would like to get to the bottom of this. --Jack Curley Snowball In Hell jcurley@ramapo.edu http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 01:54:48 -0500 From: "jonas (my name is)" Subject: Re: Vienna, Virginia thermostat problems... hmmm. my thermostat failed in my car around the time of john henry too, although i think it was actually a bit after... needing a new one me and my father replaced the old one, and i thought it would be a cool souvineer of my car, and thinking of the song thermostat, i figured it'd be a cool tmbg thing to have, so i put it on a string and now it's a necklace... a bit bulky, but not too bad... paul the conquerer ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 03:01:01 -0400 Subject: Re: Spin ze dial! and Vital Information and Vienna, VA >Actually, if they were being broadcast live, and they tuned into it, they >probably wouldn't get feedback. Nowadays most "live" broadcasts are >actually operated on a seven-second delay, or sometimes longer. They >wouldn't get feedback, just an odd sensation of deja vu. Having had some minor experience with this phenomenon, while doing location sound recording on a film, I have to say that hearing yourself a couple of seconds after you've said what you've said is a really, really disorienting experience. Suddenly, all brain functions seem to cease. Suddenly I had trouble speaking, thinking... walking. It was very bizarre. >Me and my friend Phil were listening to A18 and when it got to the "I walk >along darkened corridors" song he said, "Why is Kermit the Frog singing?" It >was interesting. I've always thought of that fingertip as being Jim Henson meets Morrissey. However, it may just be that I spent too many of my pre-teen years dressing in black and listening to the Smiths. Hmmm. I had thermostat trouble once. It was when the entire cooling system in my car blew up. My passenger was a Linnell-clone, and it was before the release of John Henry. It makes me wonder sometimes... Love, Brooks, who is 20, but not for too much longer. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-99 *****************************