Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 1 Thursday, 2 January 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: java.mail: mY nAmE iS tOrGo...I dELiVeR piZzA wHiLe tHe MaSter iS aWaY TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: the OMLT, again TMBG: Da list shirt TMBG: They Interview Re: TMBG: Best name for the List is...Floodlist (no, not TMBG: TMBG Cover Compilation Tape Re: TMBG: the OMLT, again TMBG: NEW YEAR CHANGES TMBG: Haven't they ever seen two people in love? TMBG: Shirts TMBG: OMLT tees Re: TMBG: Re: java.mail: mY nAmE iS tOrGo...I dELiVeR piZzA wHiLe tHe MaSter iS aWaY Re: TMBG: TMBG Cover Compilation Tape Re: TMBG: Shirts Re: TMBG: movies & nouns TMBG: Hello Club Re: TMBG: Re: java.mail: mY nAmE iS tOrGo...I dELiVeR piZzA wHiLe tHe MaSter iS aWaY Hello; State Songs TMBG: TMBG: TMBG anime TMBG: The best thing about NYC is Irving Plaza TMBG: fav era of TMBG/band vs machine TMBG: i have a roch. 12/29 tape! TMBG: trumpets/shirts/new year's Re: TMBG: Dr. Kildare Is Dead TMBG: best opening bands for tmbg TMBG: I am going to vote now. Please stand by. Re: TMBG: I am going to vote now. Please stand by. TMBG: 1996 in Review...post almost as long as the Year in Question Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! Re: TMBG:(Evan) I am going to vote now. Please stand by. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199701010718.BAA03337@atlantis.nconnect.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 01:21:13 -0600 From: cowking@nconnect.net (Peter Kesting) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: java.mail: mY nAmE iS tOrGo...I dELiVeR piZzA wHiLe tHe MaSter iS aWaY sorry this is what my message should say: You asked if there were any TMBG refernces in MST3K. Well as a matter of fact there was. Ok it was one of a million of the crappy old shows they show. This guy in the movie says this line "They could be giants" refering to some monster. Well I beileve it was crow who said "They Might Be Giants" I just about shot to the ceiling. It was really cool. > >>Thor wrote: >>> >>> On 28 Dec 1996 18:05:56 -0500, java.man@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) wrote: >>> >>> >>What's ours? I'm so tired of saying "the they might be giants >>> >>list". >>> >>It's a mouthful. :) Toddler Hiway? Um.. Istanbul? Can't be Cowtown. >>> >>That's a >>> >>chat. Hmm. What do you think sirs? >>> > >>> >Well, boobie (sorry, couldn't resist even though Dr. Forrester has gone >>> >the way of Dave Bowman -- the satellite got him high), since Cowtown is >>> >the chat and The Big Steamy Thing is the web site, how'z'bout (stop that, >>> >Frank! Remember the squeegee... So sorry, Joely-kins, good help is hard >>> >to find these days. Frank! Go answer the door; our delivery from Manos, >>> >the Pizza of Fate, must be here) Allotheria? Or Pet Name? Or maybe >>> >Spiraling List (with one "L" or two)? Leo, you still around? What are >>> >your thoughts? I'd gladly tally votes for a name, unless Sarah >>> >Linnellgirl wants to. Torgo, just give the pizzas to Mr. B Natural. >>> >Don't worry, he/she/it won't bite. Yeah, yeah. You take care of the >>> >place while the master is away. >>> > >>> >Push the button, Frank. >>> > >>> Wow! I was fascinated enough to get up and look at my cd's and the >>> perfect name jumped out at me: What better name for a discussion >>> group than I Can Hear You, if we're using song titles? >>> >>> "The trouble with computers, of course, >>> is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who >>Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! My screen saver is sending me mail!!!!! Oh, wait, must >>just be a fellow MSTie. Seems to be alot of them on here. Anyone know if >>there are ever any TMBG references on MST3K. I've heard NIN, Robert >>Smith, any 80's metal hair band, and i'm thinking possibly a Ministry >>reference but I don't recall any They ones. >> >>Trillian >> >> > > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 03:15:02 -0500 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199701010815.DAA00415@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 03:27:52 -0500 Message-ID: <970101032752_1956503057@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: the OMLT, again OK... I talked to my friend, and things are lookin' good. There's a company very close to where I live that will handle bulk t-shirt orders for pretty durn cheap. Even if only 10% or so of the list orders a shirt, that's still maybe 50 shirts, which would probably go for around $10-$12 each, depending on the number of ink colors we used. Shirt designs need to be neatly laid out on an 8x5 paper, which I guess could be handled by whoever comes up with the design. This company makes very nice quality shirts... not crappy ones where the ink fades out after 2 washes or something. Trust me, I own 2-3 shirts made by them which have lasted several years in good condition. Anyway, my friend said she could give me all the price specifics later on, but it's sounding pretty good to me. I am willing to collect orders and handle the production of the OMLT if someone else will handle making the design... I could do it myself but I'm not exactly Picasso. %) So, what do you folks think? Are you ready to bear proudly the standard of the mailing list you love so much? All in favor, please signify by clucking like a chicken. All opposed, get up and do a silly dance. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 04:21:08 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Da list shirt Message-ID: Okay, I am wondering something: Just how good a design for a t-shirt can be made on an 8.5 X 11 piece of paper? Most shirt designs are bigger than that. Like, all of 'em. Anyways, for this new t-shirt, somebody needs to tell me something about the new TMBG hats, which I know has been posted before but I missed it: Draw me a layout with colors, please. I think it goes T | M--------------B | G But I don't know the colors. Shrug. Please respond. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: 1 Jan 1997 11:52:54 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bbf7d2$ce99cf40$69b007cb@dialup.ozemail.com.au> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: They Interview Here is an article from an Oz paper. You can also get it at http://www.peg.apc.org/timeoff/giants.htm -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au Flying wax in the Factory Showroom Kansas City, in the US, actually exists in two states. A little like Albury-Wodonga, Kansas City Missouri, and Kansas City, Kansas are divided by a border - a road called State Line Road - but are, for many intents and purposes, the same city. They Might Be Giants' John Linnell is sitting in a hotel in KC Missouri, preparing to play a gig in KC Kansas, and squeezing in a few phone interviews in the meantime. "It's a bi-state experience," he laughs. "I think one of the things about it is that Kansas City, Missouri really dwarfs Kansas City, Kansas. It's a much bigger place, and Kansas City, Kansas is kind of a dump, actually." Whether it be Istanbul, Constantinople of one of either Kansas Cities, one motel room can look pretty much like the next. Asked when the current tour began, Linnell offers an answer which seems to suggest he's not the world's biggest fan of life on the road. "It depends on when you begin counting," he says. "Sometimes I'm under the impression that the tour began in 1986. We haven't had all that much time, aside from when we've been writing and recording, that we haven't been touring. In fact, we started playing this summer well before the album came out - in other words, the months of June, July and August." The album to which Linnell refers is Factory Showroom, the Giants' sixth record and second with a full band lineup. Having forgone their usual duo format for their last album, John Henry, they've now settled into method of working that's a collision of the old duo approach and the group effort. "That's correct," Linnell says. "The funny thing about this record is that it took us two albums to get to the point of working in the way we'd originally worked - where we were picking and choosing sounds to suit each song, and really thinking in terms of every song sounding unique on the record. That's sort of been our traditional approach. The approach of the last record was more on the side of recording a live band and getting a consistent sound throughout, which we really learned how to do with John Henry. We'd never recorded a band, period, before that, and we'd never had a band. We tried to work out all the arrangements in advance, and kind of come up with a band sound. That was the idea of the previous record. "This one is more of a return to form, in a way. This is doing something that's closer to what we've done all along, and yet we have a band." While John Henry was released to mixed responses, the subsequent tour - with a band for the first time - ended up being quite special. It was a hell of a night when they hit Brisbane in May last year, and it seemed to exemplify the spirit the Giants had worked in over their whole career. But were any old fans lost when they initially became a "real" group? "I wonder about that, but I didn't get the impression that people were jumping off," Linnell says. "Like I was suggesting, I think some people had problems with the last record, but I don't think it had so much to do with the band. In actually working with a band, we kind of were doing something that a lot of long-term fans had been nagging us to do all along. We'd actually been very resistant to getting a band, because we partly were defensive about what it was we'd been doing. We thought, 'Well, is there something wrong with being a duo, Goddamit? We'll just keep doing it until everybody likes it'. Eventually, we thought, 'Well, I guess we've proved our point', and we decided to go ahead and get a band." Factory Showroom is a delightfully consistent and classically melodic pop album, probably more so than any of their other releases. That's not to say they're ironing out all their eccentricities - take 'I Can Hear You', a song recorded at the historic Edison Laboratory with a non-electrical wax cylinder recorder built in 1898. "It was utterly fascinating," Linnell says. "We stood on the stage next to this recorder, and there were a couple of cones emanating from this small machine. The machine was about the size of a cigar box, but the cones were something like six feet and twelve feet long respectively, and the biggest one was about two feet wide. And we were really instructed to play and sing as loud as we could into these cones, so it was very different from anything we'd ever done before. "We recorded four songs, and we actually did a series of performances in the course of the day. They kept bringing in the tour group, and then they would leave and they'd bring in the next group. And we recorded each of the four songs I think maybe three or four times. The wax was flying." Linnell still agrees, however, that there's more in the way of classic pop on this record. "Our albums are really collections of all our recent work. We've yet to really make a record that has a concept to it, you know? But we love pop songs, and that's always been a big thing for us. I think maybe, as we're getting older, we're getting more conversant with the idiom. We're also not as brash as we used to be, so maybe it's easier to make a pop album." SIMON McKENZIE ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 13:12:15 GMT Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970101130943.276f27a4@popmail.dircon.co.uk> From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: TMBG: Best name for the List is...Floodlist (no, not On 31/12/96, FamousName@aol.com wrote: >my suggestions... > >World's Address (no explanation necessary) > >Letterbox (track 13 from Flood) [snip] I'd go for naming it after track 13 from Misc. T =;) And Happy New Year to everyone. Joe -- "My first sexual experience was scary. Really it was! It was dark. I was alone........." Billy Connolly ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CA7C77.18EA@trib.infi.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 10:02:15 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: TMBG Cover Compilation Tape I don't know if you recall, but a little while ago, I set today for the deadline for submitting names for the tape. I narrowed down the list from 26 to 20, just for even numbers' sake. (I don't want any mail saying, "Hey 26 is an even #!" You know what I mean!) Anyway, here are the names for contention, with their corresponding votes, on 1/31/96 voting will either conclude, or the list will be narrowed again, that decision, has not yet been rendered. The Submissions: THEY MIGHT BE COVERS (8 votes) THEY MIGHT BE COPYRIGHTED (4 votes) THEY MIGHT BE THEY (3 votes) WE MIGHT BE GIANTS, TOO (3 votes) MY MUSIC'S SHALLOW GRAVE (3 votes) YOU SCRATCH MY RECORD (3 votes) ONE THOUSAND EYES ARE STARING (2 votes) WORDS FAIL (2 votes) WE'RE THE REPLACEMENTS (1 vote) COUNTERFEIT FAKERS (1 vote) THE WORDS THAT THE VOICE WAS REPEATING (1 vote) THEY MIGHT BE FAKE (1 vote) BECOME A KARAOKE MACHINE STEALING BACK YOUR BEST IDEAS THE COLOSSAL MESS THEY MADE OF THEIR LIVES THE COLOSSAL MESS THEY MADE OF THEIR SONGS SHOULD HAVE CHANGED THAT STUPID LOCK AKA THEY THEY MIGHT BE LIES Keep E-mailing me, and visiting the site! Http://tmbg.home.ml.org P.S. I am still taking submissions if you want to do a cover! -- Matthew Ondrey "Ha ha ha, you dumb bastard, it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat." -- Willam Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 10:04:05 -0500 Message-ID: <970101100403_943945867@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: the OMLT, again Christi587@aol.com wrote: >Even if only 10% or so of the list orders a shirt, that's still >maybe 50 shirts... Here's my question: how many people are on this mailing list, anyways? -phurr ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199701011517.KAA03617@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: NEW YEAR CHANGES Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 10:17:16 -0500 (EST) Hello and welcome to 1997. There are a few things worth mentioning. In 1996 we sent out Digests vol 2 issue 1-360 (one a day except for 5 days when I had the software in a bunch back in August I think). They are all archived on the web server or via ftp (http://www.tmbg.org/ for more info). All together they are a little over 14 Megabytes of They mail. Anyway the digest that goes out tonight _should_ be volume 3 issue 1 (since it's all the mail from the first day for 1997!). I have also installed some new digest software updates that should fix up a few minor bugs. Please let me know ASAP if you see any problems with the digest. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 10:30:18 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701011530.KAA12032@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Haven't they ever seen two people in love? For those wondering, the subject line is taken from the most recent DAS addition, evidently titled "Two people in love." I hope this one gets an official release, it's great. >LINCOLN B > >This is typical 80's music. I like "Ana Ng", "They'll Need a Crane", and >"Purple Toupee". But the rest of the album takes some getting used to. I find it interesting the three songs you liked most. Not because they're the singles from the album, although that does relate to the reason...all the other songs on the album were written back in 85-86, before the Pink Album was even released. However, those three songs were written in 1988, and it shows. This period was probably TMBG's "peak." No matter what songs are your favorites, it's hard to deny that these three songs represent some of TMBG's (actually, John Linnell's) most clever and subtle songwriting. I think this is the main reason that a lot of people think the Elektra albums are inferior -- it's just really hard to live up to the gems of the Bar/None era. Anyone have any other thoughts on this subject? I'd like to see this get some discussion. >Well, it sort of appears that Eric is on hiatus, maybe. If he is, in >fact, gone, I think I'd like to see Lyle Workman play with TMBG. His >Guitar on NYC is the best on FS, IMHO. I don't know if, with freedom to pick, I'd neccesarily make Lyle my first choice...but compared to Eric (who *is* in Hawaii! Yay!) he would be a *huge* improvement. Or, they could just let Flansburgh play lead guitar. He managed it pretty damn well at the Rochester show. You know, I have a question: what, exactly, is the attraction to TMBG concerts with the tape machine. Isn't that just a portion of the studio version of the song playing in the background while TMBG provide accordion, guitar, and vocals? IMHO, I would see the objection to the band if they weren't very good ... but they are. The band I saw, at least without Eric (don't know how he affects the dynamic) were very tight and did a really nice job. Brian does damn good work on the drums, and Graham's bass, while not outstanding, is perfectly good. So I ask again: why is the tape machine superior to the band? I really don't understand. >By the way, guys-- check out the TMBG autographs!!! :D In the immortal words of Monty Python: You lucky bastard! >Damn I can't believe dumbasses would throw stuff at them, especially >tennis balls! Flans must have been really really pissed. Well, it was only a cup, and it didn't actually hit him, but he was PISSED. Right after it was thrown he got a look of utter, pure disgust on his face, and he told Linnell to wrap up the show SEVEN SONGS EARLY! >>When Tornadoes Take Over the World >Um... what would this song be......??? It's a DAS, although one not collected on PoDaS. I assume it'll be on PoDaS II. (Along with the aforementioned TPIL...) Josh What is everybody staring at? /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970101103804.006a8bbc@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 10:38:07 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Shirts I'm willing to do the shirt design if no one else wants to. Or maybe someone could do the front and someone else could do the back. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CAABE5.6DA2@netnitco.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 10:24:37 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: OMLT tees Well, I've slk-screened shirts in school before but I don't go to that school anymore:( But if anyone does you could posibly ask permission to use the silk creen tools, it's not that hard, and offer to pay for all the supplies. Just an idea:) Trillian ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CAAD54.AB6@netnitco.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 10:30:44 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: java.mail: mY nAmE iS tOrGo...I dELiVeR piZzA wHiLe tHe MaSter iS aWaY ... and i'm thinking possibly a Ministry > > reference but I don't recall any They ones. > > > > Trillian > YES!!!!!! In I BELIEVE it is attack of the Giant Gialla (sp?) monster Servo > or Crow...dont know which...says SOMETHING LIKE (Can you tell that my > memory of this isn't too good?) AHHH!!! ITS A GIANT!!!!!!! Crow/Servo: They > Might Be Giants... > > Cool... > Cpdog Would anyone on here happen to have an episode of The Giant Gila Monster off MST3K? I'll pay or possibly trade:) Unfortunately I can't find my Amazing Colossial Edisode Guide(slightly hysterical crying) and there are no MST3K edisodes on this month(highly hysterical crying at this point and great wrath towards those evil spuds, Devo ref, at Comedy central). Trillian Brothers...Sisters...We don't need no facist groove thing. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 11:35:20 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Cover Compilation Tape Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, BOBA wrote: > BECOME A KARAOKE MACHINE This is the title...now everyone mail Boba in support. Jack thinks . o 0 (Why are the Dial-a-Song oddities so blatently ignored? They comprise some of the best TMBG, if not oddest, material.) Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: XTC: Nonsuch, They Might Be Giants: Misc. T, Frank Black: Frank Black, Various: The Glory of Gershwin, Warren Zevon: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2 disc set) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CAAFC3.34F3@netnitco.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 10:41:07 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: Re: TMBG: Shirts Evan Chakroff wrote: > > I'm willing to do the shirt design if no one else wants to. Or maybe > someone could do the front and someone else could do the back. > -- I'd be willing to do one side of it. I have art two hours of the day at school, both independent, so maybe this can also count as a project since I have to come up with my own projects. Trillian "I'm the firestarter, punkin instigator." Prodigy-Firestarter ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 20:48:43 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Message-ID: <32cacb64.178388815@news.tmbg.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: movies & nouns On 31 Dec 1996 17:56:04 -0500, dalee@husc.harvard.edu (Dan Lee) wrote: >On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Matthew James wrote: >> >> Everyone check out Children of the Lost City (I think I got that right), >> very wild French flick. >> Matt > >I've seen it. Is there anything in it that's supposed to make me think of >They? The actor in that movie looks like such an ape (he was also in The >Last Supper). > >And a comment was made about how the list name should be a noun. I >completely agree. > I disagree!! I've run a few of the names through my head ("I'm on ____") and the phrases (short ones, 2-4 words) make just as much sense as nouns. BTW, right now I'm trying to decide betweem I Can Hear You and Letterbox. "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 16:03:31 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Hello Club Message-ID: I sent money to the Hello CD club to get the 1994 CD set. I have not gotten it yet and it has been quite a while. I was wondering if anybody knew how long this might take to arrive. Also, what is the correct email address of the club so I can write to them... Josh ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 18:17:12 -0500 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <32CAF078.16F9@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: java.mail: mY nAmE iS tOrGo...I dELiVeR piZzA wHiLe tHe MaSter iS aWaY Peter Kesting wrote: > You asked if there were any TMBG refernces in MST3K. Well as a matter of > fact there was. Ok it was one of a million of the crappy old shows they > show. This guy in the movie says this line "They could be giants" refering > to some monster. Well I beileve it was crow who said "They Might Be Giants" > I just about shot to the ceiling. It was really cool. This isn't half as cool as that, but I heard that once during a commercial for the MST movie The Guitar was playing in the background. -Mismirilda ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 18:45:06 -0500 Message-ID: <970101184505_812891510@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Hello; State Songs TMBG: Hey-- My search for these will never give up. I have Hello the band and State songs on tape. I NEED them on cd or vinyl (which ever I can find). Is anyone willing to give theirs up? Pleeeeease???? ~sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701012345.AA14561@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG anime Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 18:45:15 -0500 (EST) I was at a party last night and my friend's cousin had a lot of Japanese Anime on tape. One of these was a series of Japanese anime music videos. One of them was for Particle Man and it was excellent!! The video fit the song perfectly. I'm pretty sure they made these videos to the various songs. I forgot to ask him where this came from but I will try to find out if I see him again. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701012353.SAA09464@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 1 Jan 97 18:55:46 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: The best thing about NYC is Irving Plaza Irving Plaza kicks great big butt. I don't know how you'd get there, but there's a PATH station right nearby, as well as Union Station. It's in a neat neighborhood, too. I think I've seen Todd Rundgren there 4 times, as well as all those TMBG Halloween shows (Horse w/ No Name lives)... IP has never been less than extremely pleasant. -tom (no, they didn't pay me) Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu * ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701020002.AA14593@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: fav era of TMBG/band vs machine Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 19:02:22 -0500 (EST) In response to Joshua Hall Bachner's post about 1988 being their peak song-writing year, I think I might disagree. I would say that a large portion of TMBG fans (at least evidenced from prior posts about ppl's favorite albums) agree that Apollo 18 is their best album, thus containing some of their best songs. Now I know, a lot of songs right up to and through A18 were actually old DAS songs, but I'm pretty sure many of them were written after 1988. I personally think Turn Around and Dinner Bell are 2 of the best. But I would also agree that They'll Need a Crane, Purple Toupee, and Ana Ng are some of their greatest songs too. As for the full band vs. drum machine: I agree they were pretty tight during the show in DC (I assume it was similar to the Rochester show) and I enjoy just seeing the 4 of them, although having the horns is nice too. But I think that a lot of ppl like a lot of the older Bar-None songs because they don't often get to hear them. Of course, they had lots of great songs then, as well, but hearing a song in concert that you really enjoy for the first time is a great thing. Keeping that in mind, many ppl want to hear how the song was originally performed. Aside from that, some songs just don't work with the full band. I think it may have been during Shoehorn with Teeth, Graham just leaned against something and didn't even play at all. This might be a nice breather, but they are a full band and they deserve to play during these songs. I'm sure Flans and Linnell would feel weird (and would feel like they are cheating either Graham and/or Brian) playing lots of songs using a drum machine. So now all we have to do is wait for a day that they schedule a concert and make sure that Brian/Graham/Eric/horn players are all sick! hehehe Course then they would probably just cancel the show ;) Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 19:49:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: TMBG: i have a roch. 12/29 tape! Message-id: i made a very very awesome boot of the show on sunday night...the quality is quite good (shameless plug)...i said it before, but if anyone's willing to trade, let me know! i am willing. :) it might not be an immediate trade, as mike and alex are borrowing it, but please let me know! --fran(sburgh) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701020115.TAA22600@hp-14.cae.wisc.edu> Subject: TMBG: trumpets/shirts/new year's Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 19:15:30 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck Hello fellow TMBGer's, Just a few things that I need/would like/want to know: 1)Trumpets - I saw someone saying that there were some programs that could print out music from midi files. I need the trumpet parts for The Guitar (I could work them out for myself, but I have about as much as a tin ear as a musician is supposed to have) and if I could get this from a midi that would be cool. Also, if someone out there knows what the trumpet parts for The Guitar are, please email me and earn my immortal admiration and thanks. 2)List shirts - YESSSSSSSSSSS! Although I have one question about them. I know it is still early in the process and all, but who is in charge? I know two people have volunteered to do it, but who should I send my desire/wish/urgent plea for a shirt to? 3)Happy New Year's! I spent about an hour on New Year's eve playing the bass to "Love Rollercoaster", "Dive", "Ironman", and some cool blues riff with my roommate Al. The remarkable thing is that I have never touched a bass before and can barely play the guitar. And we sounded good! Then we drank some more. Just wanted to share. Aaron, who just spent two hours reading 443 email messages. -- Aaron Kohlbeck kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck "You have NO respect for food!" - Heffer Wolf ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701020214.VAA22750@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 21:15:14 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Kildare Is Dead >Who'll teach me drama? >Who'll be my acting coach? >I love the theatre. >I'm Dr. Kildare. > > - John Flansburgh > > >> * Lew Ayers, who played movies' Dr. Kildare, dies at 88 >> (By Minerva Canto, Associated Press, 12/31/96; 14:34) >> LOS ANGELES (AP) - Lew Ayres, whose film career >> covered six decades and weathered the furor of his >> objection to combat duty in World War II, has died. He >> was 88. >> Although this is sad, the REAL Dr. Kildare is not dead. (I don't think) Richard Chamberland, who played him on TV, remains alive (I think). But yes, I saw the movie guy dying in the paper to. Now my tree is gone, and only this remains. But I got a new quote! Rob Grabill X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ |||||||||| "We need to get a few gallons of holy water. My cousin Jerry's a priest, he can get us a discount!" ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 22:05:48 -0500 Message-ID: <970101220547_1990155596@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: best opening bands for tmbg here's the best bands to ever open for tmbg: soul coughing .. which are now more popular then they The presidents of usa ... same as above applys but to the nth degree brian dewan and the greatest band to ever open for tmbg.... THE CANDY BUTCHERS!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 19:07:58 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: I am going to vote now. Please stand by. Message-ID: First of all, I'm going to bellow like a sick cow ( MoooooOOOooo... ) to support the Omlette project. I was excited the first time it came up, and disappointed when it fell through. Could whoever is keeping track of this put me down for an order? Come to think of it, who IS in charge? Several different people need to coordinate their efforts to make this work. Namely, we need: Somebody to collect submissions for the design and wording. (I really liked the design we settled on last time, though. The one with the tickets, I mean.) Somebody to collect the names of people ordering, and their money. Somebody to find a place willing to make high-quality shirts for those of us in the I've-got-a-pocket-full-of-lint-and-a-Jolly-Rancher price range (this means most of us). Somebody to distribute the shirts once they have arrived. Am I leaving anything out? Do we have volunteers to fill the abovementioned positions? I also hereby cast my vote for "Letterbox" for the list's name. Happy New Year, everyone! May 1997 bring you wealth, happiness, and a TMBG concert in your city. --nicole the wonder nerd has a world that swings. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970102005746.006abf0c@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 00:57:49 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: I am going to vote now. Please stand by. >Somebody to collect submissions for the design and wording. (I really >liked the design we settled on last time, though. The one with the >tickets, I mean.) I volunteer to do that. (I think I'lll submit a design, too.) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CB519B.2619@earthlink.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 22:11:39 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: 1996 in Review...post almost as long as the Year in Question Greetings folks at TMBG and Chalkhills... Here is my self-indulgent year ending post... All lists in no particular order My favorite albums of the year 1.)Nine Objects of Desire---Suzanne Vega-another great collection from Suzanne and Mitchell Froom. 2.)Return of the aquabats---the Aquabats---cross Devo with the Specials and this is the result. A hilarious live show features back flips, psychic powers and chopping a block of wood in half with a bare hand. A must see if you can find them out in California. 3.)Firme---Voodoo Glow Skulls---not the greatest band name but a great punk/ska band and a great album. 4.)Television's greatest Hits Vols. 4-7---Yes now you too can have the themes to Honk Kong Phooey and the Dukes of Hazard and even Fish as well. 5.)All this Useless Beauty & Costello/Nieve Box Set---I don't know if this is Elvis Costello's best...in fact I know it's not but it's great stuff and some of his strongest vocals to date. Box set of Costello/Nieve acoustic shows a great Christmas bonus. Find it if you can. they only made 30,000. 6.)the Schoolhouse Rock Box Set---"Conjunction Junction..." Well you know the rest. 7.)Lovelife---I liked them better in their shoestaring days but this is still a good cd. 8.)The Genius of Komeda---Komeda---It's kind of difficult to describe these guys from Scandanavia. Sort of a New Wave/Siouxsie/bachelor pad/jazz/Abba mutation one minute and then well...I...eh...oh well it's great. just buy it and then figure it out for yourself. Available from Minty Fresh records. 9.)the Fantasy worlds of Irwin Allen---Available as individual Discs or as a 5CD set. the original soundtracks to Lost In Space, Land of the Giants,time Tunnel and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Scored by a pre-Jaws Johnny Williams and Star Trek regular Alexander Courage among others. Great stuff. Box set comes with extra disc featuring hokey sound effects and Robot-isms (bubble headed booby etc.) A must for SFTV afficianados such as myself. Suprisingly good scores to boot. 10.)Factory Showroom---they Might Be Giants---Not their best but a standout nonetheless. 11.)Saturday Morning's Greatest Hits---various---Killer versions of Saturday morning faves. Highlights include Reverand Horton Heat's scathing Johnny Quest/Stop that Pigeon medlee and Frente's surprisingly longing Pebbles and Bam-Bam staple "Open up Your Heart and Let the Sunshine In." the late lamented Sublime clocks in with Honk Kong Phooey. Hands down the years strongest tribute compilation (that I've heard anyway) 12.)Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory---soundtrack on CD at last. CD disappointments of the year 1.)today's Specials---the Specials---this limp offering proves that you just can't go back. (most of the time anyway) 2.)She's the One---Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers---Tom's albums get sparser and sparser. Not terrible but...well maybe I need more time. 3.)Rhythmeen---ZZ Top---Neither cheesy poppy enough or catchy bluesy enough. Might be time for them to call it a day. 4.)Songs in the Key of X---Various---Don't know what I wanted out of this but then when was the last good soundtrack or compilation anyway? 5.)New Adventures in Hi-Fi---REM---probably need to listen to this one more but with every album they put out I begin to wonder if they really did lose it when they left IRS. Love Bittersweet Me though. 6.)Lore---Clannad---maybe I'm just losing my appetite for their druid Fleetwood Mac-isms or maybe it just needs a few more spins. 7.)Wild Mood Swings---the Cure---When I saw them at the Forum even they seemed bored with these songs. When they played 10:15 Saturday Night though...it was a different story. Best songs/singles 1.)Novacaine for the Soul----the Eels 2.)Bittersweet Me---REM 3.)No cheap thrill/My Favorite Plum---Suzanne Vega 4.)Shoot the Moon---Voodoo Glow Skulls 5.)Metal Detector/Esquisite Dead Guy---TMBG 6.)Idiot Box---the Aquabats 7.)Little Atoms---Elvis Costello and the Attractions (better live) 8.)Olympia---Lush 9.)I want to Be an Anglepoise Lamp---the Soft Boys---okay this an old song but I just heard it for the first time this year 10.)Emergency---999---see #9 11.)Lexicon Devil---The germs---see #9 12.)Mother Mother-tracy Bonham---the song that best expresses what its like to call your folks and keep them informed without telling them how miserable you truly are. "I'm hungry, I'm dirty, I'm losing my mind....EVERYTHING'S FIIINNNEEE!!!!!" Great stuff. Old Compilations Worth getting... 1.)DIY:the Modern World UK Punk II (1977-78)---part of Rhino's random study of early punk. Contains lots of great obscurities like the aformentioned Anglepoise Lamp as well as gems from Alternative TV, X-Ray Spex, Wire, Magazine and the Buzzcocks 2.)All of Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough New Wave Compilations Newer Bands to look out for... Komeda,Imperial teen,Voodoo Glow Skulls My favorite albums of the 90's as of 1/1/97. 1.)Apollo 18---they Might Be Giants---my favorite album of theirs 2.)99 Farenheit Degrees---Suzanne Vega---Folky Suzanne crashes into industrial clangs and the atmospheric wizardry of future husband Mitchell froom. 3.)Foo Fighters---Foo Fighters---catchiest punk pop since the Buzzcocks. 4.)the Juliet Letters---Elvis Costello and the Brodsky Quartet---these days Elvis's quieter moments are his strongest and this is beautiful stuff. 5.)Kiko---Los Lobos---this is hands down my favorite album of the decade so far. Los Lobos mexican roots rock collides with Mitchell Froom and the result is like nothing I'd heard before or since. A masterpiece that must be owned. there's an atmosphere to this one that's hard describe. title track is one of the most unique singles of recent memory and has a breathtaking video if you can find it. A long way from La Bamba. Best concerts I went to in '96. 1.)TMBG at the Palace...of the two LA shows in November, this was my favorite. 2.)Kiss---sorry folks but I can't remember the last time I had more fun at a concert. Hadn't heard these songs in almost 20 years and I knew the words to them all. Frightening. 3.)the Cure---the second half of their Forum show---after a sluggish start with the boring new stuff they woke up and did blistering versions of the classics. 4.)Suzanne Vega at the El Rey 11/20---She and Froom in action. taped for a PBS special to air in appprox. Feb. Keep your eyes out for it. She also played the five best songs off her last (and my favorite)album 99f...including the long version of IN Liverpool. great. 5.)Elvis Costello and the Attractions at the Universal Amptheater---August---In actuality a mixed bag. Many of the oldies were performed in unlistenable revisionist versions but the new songs from ATUB and the slower older songs. WOW. You could here a pin drop when he did the acoustic portion with Steve Nieve. Those bits of brilliance made me forgive him for the atrocious pseudo-bluesy rendering of I don't want to go to Chelsea...well almost. 6.)Lush at the El Rey---despite a PA blowout...which also happened when I saw them two years ago. 7.)Muzzle and Imperial teen---they opened for Lush at the El Rey and they were both really good. Be on the lookout for Imperial teen. 8.)the reverand Horton Heat---opened for ZZ top and they were no less then Fooken great. Psycho-rockabilly from hell. 9.)XTC in a dream I had---I dreamt I was working with them on something and they volunteered to play requests. As I dumbfoundedly tried to decide what I wanted they played Helicopter. Why...I have no idea. Most Disappointing Concerts of '96 1.)ZZ Top at the Universal Ampitheater---sloppy and dull. Deadly new material and obvious old material. Maybe time to retire. 2.)Sex Pistols at the Palladium---At one point Johnny said to the audience..."Don't worry. It's almost over." Not soon enough. what should have been a nostalgic punk triumph was a sloppy 55 minute bore with shitty sound. What saved the evening was EMI and Pretty vacant which made you remember why you were there. One hopes the rumored Clash reunion fares better. 3.)the Monkees at the Universal Ampitheater---I know what you're thinking but I've always been a fan of their music. 10 years ago I saw them on their 20th aniiversay tour in RI. they played like a punk band with something to prove and they were great. Really. But ten years later they seemed tired and willing to coast on good feeling and nostalgia from the audience. One too many self-deprecating jokes and far too many lackluster Vegas-y performances of their classics. Unlike 10 years earlier the absence of Mike Nesmith was keenly felt. Their voices also were strained. Only a brief moment during DW Washburn did the years melt away. Oh well. 4.)Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Forum---Aug.---Anthony's arm twisting histrionics have DEFINITELY worn out their welcome and how many more variations of Under the Bridge can we take. time for a new direction. 5.)The 1st half of the Cure show at the Forum---Snore. Favorite Movies of the Year 1.)Welcome to the Dollhouse---Junior High Cruelty as it really is. will bring back horrible memories after you stop laughing. 2.)Independence Day---I'm a sucker for Apocalypse disaster movies and this was a fun War of the Worlds for the 90's. Unfairly maligned by a bitter media...nobody said it was supposed to be Star Wars. I may be biased cause I went to the world premiere and the food was amazing. 3.)Twister---more mainstream stupidity but loved those tornados. 4.)Fargo---great black humor from the Coen brothers. 5.)Executive Decision---surprisingly suspenseful action thriller which makes the wise decision of killing Steven Sagal off in the first half hour. great directing debut by Die Hard editor Stuart Baird. 6.)Jerry Maguire---Director Cameron Crowe and star Tom Cruise bounce back from their previous underwhelming offerings (Singles, Mission Impossible respectively). great support from Cuba gooding and Rene Zewelleger. 7.)Lone Star---John Sayle's masterpiece about secrets in a small western town. A little on the long side but a great film. Kris Kristofferson is a memorable villain. 8.)City of Lost Children---a strange French fantasy that's a feast for the eyes. 9.)Dead Man Walking---actually a 1995 film but it it is outstanding. Guilty Pleasures: 1.)My Fellow Americans---it's grumpy old presidents but what the heck. 2.)Eraser---Arnold shoots a crocodile and says "Now you're luggage." Ok. 3.)the Nutty Professor---A surprisingly good Murphy redeems himself. Worst films of the Year 1.)The Rock---Newest techno-hack Michael Bey follows up his abysmal Bad Boys with this piece of shit that wastes great actors and a cool premise. A scripting lowpoint of the year. 2.)Sleepers---Prophetic in it's title. An overly earnest bore from a bunch of talented people who should know better. Manages to trivialize molestation to a plot point. an abomination that believes that we should care because it allegedly really happened. So what. 3.)Daylight---After a great explosion it's down hill all the way. rips off every disaster film ever...and not in a good way. 4.)A time to Kill---Grisham triteness almost saved by the all-star cast and gusto direction of director Joel Schumaker...almost. 5.)the Chamber---see a time to Kill review above. Names change. result the same. 6.)Mission Impossible---Beats out Sleepers as the worst film of the year. this is an incomprehensible overfueled mess which trashes one of tv's better shows. In fact the only resemblence between this shit and the tv show are the use of the theme song and the exploding tape recorder. A travesty which also does the unthinkable in making the tv show's main character the villain. 7.)Tin Cup---is it over yet? DISAPPOINTMENTS: Star Trek:First Contact---the flaws of the series (too dry)follow the new films despite the best efforts of everyone involved. TV: Best: the Simpsons, X-Files, Homicide, NYPD Blue, Law and Order, Siskel and Ebert, Millenium (though it needs a little work), Seinfeld, Mystery, Cracker. Worst:all the new shows with washed up stars---Cosby, Ink, Spin City. Cybill, Nash bridges or all the new comedian vehicles. Saddest loss:The Cancellation of NICK's Adventures of Pete and Pete. Disappointments:Fox's Doctor Who movie/pilot, David brinkley retires, MISC... Surprise of the year---that mainstream Hollywood made some of the more enjoyable films this year...even if it was only one or two. Disappointment of the year---Still no new XTC album. Come on guys. Sooner or later you gotta trust somebody. Ominous comments of the year---Elvis Costello trashing his bandmates on the Jay Leno show. RIP:Jon Pertwee, tiny Tim, Mark Lenard, LIST RELATED ITEMS: Silliest Flame:The "Gay" quiz bowls incident on the TMBG list. Biggest On Net meltdown: AMANDA on Chalkhills.(She got better) Best Lesson I learned from the net:the power of the written word to inflame. Irony can be misinterpreted easily and quickly. Counting to ten before posting can be beneficial. Let me wrap up this epic post by saying thanks to everyone out there for enriching my life this previous year. It's great to be able to have so many people to share my obscure musical tastes with. I hope there will be times when I can meet more of you in the flesh. till then there is always the net. Any of you feel free to write me anytime. Till later Herne Currently in the CD changer:TMBG-Factory Showroom/Suzanne Vega-Nine Objects of Desire/Komeda:the Genius of Komeda/Sugarplastic-Bang.../Clannad-Macalla ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 23:16:15 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! Message-ID: > Why settle for the three-song single when you can get the five-song single > for only a dollar more? (Five-sing songle?) Hate to brag, but i got the five-song single for $3.49 at Blockbuster Music. Last one in the store too.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 01:28:56 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG:(Evan) I am going to vote now. Please stand by. Message-ID: (Mainly to Evan Chakroff, but maybe to others.) If you don't mind, I'd really like to do that. I did it last time, or maybe we could both do it? Does that sound like a good idea? It just occurred to me.. if so we'll have to talk later to coordinate. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > >Somebody to collect submissions for the design and wording. (I really > >liked the design we settled on last time, though. The one with the > >tickets, I mean.) > > I volunteer to do that. (I think I'lll submit a design, too.) > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://spot.home.ml.org > Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-1 ****************************