Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 10 Saturday, 11 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: java.help: Can you hear me, Major Tom? TMBG: Suddenly SEXXY TMBG: James K Polk TMBG: 49th President TMBG: TMBGish: la la la... TMBG: matt james, courtney TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-9 TMBG: re: nothing important; UK stuff TMBG: Will the following people please report to the main office: TMBG: Not Really TMBG, only applies to a few people TMBG: They Might Be Very Brave Men TMBG: OMLTs, falsetto, other stuff TMBG: James NBC Polk TMBG: Istanbul; 25 O'Clock Re: TMBG: re: nothing important; UK stuff TMBG: TMBG poll Re: TMBG: They Might Be Very Brave Men Re: TMBG: One More Polk TMBG: Flood Towers Re: TMBG: OMLTs, falsetto, other stuff TMBG: They Might Be Bones TMBG: Want To See TMBG The Movie? TMBG: What do you want on your OMLT? Re: TMBG: TMBG poll TMBG: Religon for fun TMBG: Grover Cleaveland! TMBG: TMBG Cover Compilation J-Card TMBG: Compilation Tape TMBG: A Christmas Present, amongst others. Re: TMBG: Compilation Tape TMBG: Re: They Might Be Very Brave Men TMBG: Done someone wrong and I fear that it was me Re: TMBG: Grover Cleaveland! Re: TMBG: They Might Be Very Brave Men Re: TMBG: They Might Be Very Brave Men TMBG: New Web Page! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: java.help: Can you hear me, Major Tom? Message-ID: <19970109.223158.3302.0.java.man@juno.com> From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 23:33:36 EST Egads! I thought I'd have the list name voting taken care of by now. But since my dad's computer went down, I've had no time between school and work to get the old messages out of the archives at www.tmbg.org. Now with finals coming up, I don't think I'll ever get to it. If anyone wants this list name thing finished any time soon, email me and I'll give you the majority of suggested names, and maybe the others off of the archives if I've had time to get them. Leo seems to like the idea of naming the list, and I really want the OMLTs done, but I honestly am in over my head here. "This is ground control to Major Tom, your circuit's dead, there's something wrong! Can you hear me, Major Tom? Can you hear me, Major Tom?" (David Bowie, aka Ziggy Stardust) Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com When they ask him, "What other planet features this," he replies, "What other planet!" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701101016.FAA11542@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 97 05:18:37 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Suddenly SEXXY >you caught that but tou missed when she said "so your saying I don;t >have a snowball's chance in hell?" >coincidence? maybe or maybe someone over at SSusan is reading this list I think the more appropriate question is "does NBC realize that this show isn't funny and really really sucks?" I saw it for the first time tonight and the **ONLY** chuckle I got was the JKP reference. me- "giggle" girlfriend- "that wasn't that funny" me- "nonono they're gonna eat this up on the TMBG list" girlfriend- "?" Network TV: wow, it's lame. -tom Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu * ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9701101327.AA28756@comet.msd.measurex.com> Subject: TMBG: James K Polk Date: Fri, 10 Jan 97 8:27:23 EDT From: John Pletikapich > >Has anyone noticed whether all these NBC references say "James K. Polk" as >opposed to "James Polk"? Is there some reason why they always use his >initial? It's somewhat unusual. When I was first learning about the presidents in grade school, he was always referred to him as "James Knox Polk". We had a 45 (a single on vynil, for the youngsters out there) that had a tune that went "Do the James Knox Polka". Back to using initials -- Don't we also say Rutherford B. Hayes and Ulysses S. Grant ? And I bet I hear Harry S Truman and John F. Kennedy as often as I hear their names w/o initials. -- john ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:21:21 -0500 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970109140827.25ff9410@mail.one.net> From: Goat Boy Subject: TMBG: 49th President > I have decided that Suddenly Susan producers are RIGHT!!! There have only > been 41 presidents because Cleveland (?) was elected TWICE but NOT > consecutively and so even though Clinton is called the 42nd president he is > only the 41st person to hold in...hmm...I think thats weird... > --Tim Clark Of course, we could all get really picky and bring up the other 8 or so presidents we had under the Articles of Confederation... But that would be a bit much... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:36:49 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970110083648_1308853621@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBGish: la la la... hello hello, moose here, killing time. greetings and salutations to boba - yes i was that dumbass on utopia parkway calling myself sullenmoose in case you were wondering and in case you couldn't tell that was the first time i'd used it and my connection is butt-slow to begin with, so by the time i had figured out what i was doing i got kicked offline. eh. such is life. moose John is my co-pilot ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:43:13 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970110084312_911803221@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: matt james, courtney really REALLY sorry to use the list as a people finder but matt james and courtney, ive lost your addresses so email me for irving plaza details ~liz ------------------------------ From: cb@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:59:53 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-9 Message-ID: At around 21:00:25 -0500 (EST), on Thu, 9 Jan 1997, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > MTV on mute?????? > > What's the point???? > Listening to the radio. Radio? Surely you jest. Fill your CD player with Them, instead. Or negativland. Anything that's not playing on MTV, at least. cheers, cb http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~cb - mailto:cb@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu Telesys, UTX-NET Helpdesk consulting UT System: Office of Telecommunication Services UT Austin: Computation Center Networking Services Opinions expressed above might reflect someone's, but who knows? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701101627.QAA14869@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:28:25 +0000 Subject: TMBG: re: nothing important; UK stuff Hey too right Sarah. Sorry I just had to support this. I go to a Catholic Uni and I'm an atheist. I have no religon and get shunned for it. Being asked what religon I am right at the beginning of the conversaation gets as much on my tits as having to listen to people winging about ethnicity crap in London. Just get a grip. The musics cool, the lyrics in depth and surely thats so much more importaant than what faith they follow or if they bloody well wear odd socks on Mondays. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, does it matter. After that I would just like to ask anyone in the know if They will ever come to the UK. I originally posted to this list that They will be here in March beacuse some guy at HMV in Oxford Street told me so when I was buying JH on CD or maybe Monopuff. The conversation went: Hey They Might Be Giants, they're really cool. Yeah (This one's me!) You know there going to be here in March No shit Yeah, wait around for the real FS release and then we'll know Wow, cool, see ya later. Anyway so that must be it. Mind you I have never ever seen the guy working in there again so who really knows. Can we get a UK part, or even a 'Rest of the world outside the US' part on the Web-Site. I wish I could think upu some cool line to end this mailing but my brain is fuzzed so how about 'Don't interupt me as I struggle to complete this thought' Jon. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701101721.MAA02314@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: Will the following people please report to the main office: Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:21:53 -0500 A while ago I was speaking to several people about getting copies of the 12/29 show in Rochester (Fran was one maybe?)... I've lost all my old email. Could the people I was discussing this trade with please email me? Also, if anyone else has a good copy of this show please email me? I've got lots of stuff to trade... :> 00/00/85 The Demo Tape 45m 00/00/88 Arsenio Hall Show 5m 06/17/88 The Knitting Factory, NYC 45m 11/25/89 The Bottom Line, NYC 90m 12/31/89 Quiet Life, Brooklyn 45m 01/28/90 WXRK New York Interview 45m 03/10/90 Berlin, Germany 45m (INCOMPLETE) 04/28/90 Cabaret Metro, Chicago, IL 45m (INCOMPLETE) 06/27/92 Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 60m (Dr. Spock's Back Up Band) 07/06/92 The Tonight Show 10m 07/27/92 Cola Mountain In-Store 35m 08/00/92 Coach House, San Juan, CA 45m 09/03/92 KITS Studio, San Francisco, CA 20m 09/19/92 Valentine Hall, Amherst, MA 100m 10/05/92 Modjeska Theater, Milwaukee, WI 100m 09/29/93 The Stone Balloon, Newark, DE 90m 04/20/94 Barrymore Theater, Madison, WI 90m 10/14/94 Sony Music Studios, NYC 60m 11/02/94 Buffalo, NY 100m 03/11/95 Barrymore Theater, Madison, WI 90m 03/14/95 WXRT Chicago Interview 45m 08/02/95 Beacon Theater, NYC 45m 09/23/96 Charlottesville, VA 80m ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:24:51 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Not Really TMBG, only applies to a few people Message-ID: To anyone I have made trades with. First, I would like to formally apologize for not giving you anything back. Yes, there is clearly no _excuse_ for this. My _reason_ is that I almost totally stressed myself out with school work right when I was supposed to be making the tapes to send back to you. After that, when I did have free time, I totally forgot all about it (wasn't checking email, didn't remember at all). I didn't purposely forget you, or try to gyp you. I didn't really even have time to listen to the tapes you sent me, so it's not like I got something and you got nothing. Now I can't even find them. Well that's irrelevant. Now my problem is that A) I don't have your address (whoever 'you' are), and B) I haven't the foggiest what you wanted me to send you. So, I am perfectly ready to send you whatever you want. If you still know, just tell me and I will rush it to you ASAP. If you want a list of the things I have, just ask me for it, pick what you want, and I'll send it to you. In fact, go ahead and pick 90 mins worth of stuff _more_ than you were originally getting, and I'll give you that, too (it's only fair). I also now have the Cleveland show, so don't forget that if you had a trade before and want to pick more stuff. Sound fair? If not, tell me, and I'm sure we can work something out. Sincerely and apologetically, Ryan Staib ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970110195629.0067d54c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:56:29 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Very Brave Men >I love the part in the Tiny Toons video when they Plucky and Hampton >imitate the Johns! Wouldn't the real Linnell look interesting with green >feathers for hair ;) But they show Hampton/Flansburgh holding an accordion, which makes me wonder how much research they did. >I have a newsletter that says that On "Hotel Detective" it's John Linnell >singing with his voice sped up. John Flansburgh sings it in concert, >though, and he does sing it in falsetto. =) I read this, too. So I'm going to cast my vote for "Linnell on the record, Flans live." Sped up or not, they both have VERY GOOD falsettos! And Linnell is right; it takes a brave man to sing like a girl. In my high school's concert choir, we could NOT get the guys to sing in falsetto. Embarrassed at sounding un-macho, they'd all do this whispery falsetto. Whereas J&J just belt it out. By taking the risk that they'll sound silly, and not being afraid to sound silly, they sound great. (Actually, that about sums up Their whole career...) I think that's SOOOOoooooOOO cool. :) >I just read an interview/sneak peek of THEN in ICE magazine (it's a collector's >CD mag type deal, kinda even a newsletter...) and Flans mentioned doing a >slight remix on Lincoln and pink, to soften them up a little. Does this scare >the bejeezus outta anyone else? The reason I love those 2 so much is because of >that crunchy, guitar/accordian/drum machine timbre... I have that article, too. But Flans explicitly says that they're not changing much, just adding a bit more low-end sound. He also says that "the casual listener will hardly notice a change." We don't count as "casual listeners," so it's safe to say we'll notice a difference. But will it necessarily be a bad one? Besides, you'll still have your old copies of TPA, Lincoln, and Misc. T. >you caught that but tou missed when she said "so your saying I don;t >have a snowball's chance in hell?" It's a fairly common (if somewhat hokey) saying. One of Their favorite things to do is to take a common saying and change it a bit. >For some reason I was discussing bad and ineffective >presidents with my parents today, and they brought up Polk... of course, >I was able to cite all the stuff he did that made him not a bad or >ineffective president... Hee hee... I was playing Scattergories with my cousins and sister at Christmas, and one of the categories was "Famous People" and the letter was "p". So I put down James K. Polk. When it came my turn to say what I'd gotten, I stated my choice and then went on about who he was and what he did in office. It impressed the hell out of everyone, until my sister said, angrily, "That's a They Might Be Giants song, isn't it? ISN'T IT?!?" (My sister eschews TMBG in favor of generic lite rock. I'm trying to cure her.) Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted. :) We're discussing Plato's "Parable of the Cave" in my Comparative Literatures class. Guess which song I have running through my head. --nicole the wonder nerd who thinks that They could confuse an awful lot of people by reissuing A18 with the DAS I Pal I instead of the album one. *** "Whether Mount Pinutubo or the threat of God's love, there'll always be something that's raining down from above." --Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:04:29 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970110150355_1011082513@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLTs, falsetto, other stuff Let's stop this silly argument right now. From the 96 Holiday newsletter: *** Q: Who did the falsetto in "She Was a Hotel Detective" on the Back to Skull EP? A: On the record it's Linnell, slightly sped up so he could reach the high notes. Live it's Flansburgh, which may have partly inspired his new song "How Can I Sing Like a Girl?" *** Thank you. As for the equally silly religion debate, I offer the following info in the hopes that it willl not start another thread on the topic: at the last 9:30 Club show, both Johns talked about what they got for Christmas. ("My wife got me a suitcase for Christmas... I wonder what that means..." said Flans. "I'm the only one in the band wearing a Christmas shirt tonight," lamented Linnell.) Anyway. I know you're all sick of this OMLT message, but every time I post it I get another Flood of requests. So... The Official Mailing List T-shirt! Think you might eventually want one? Send me, the OMLT Goddess, a message at christi587@aol.com. Put something big and dumb and obvious, like "GIMME A SHIRT" in the subject 'cause it saves me time. Remember, this is only a preliminary interest survey. You are not obligated to buy one, but, golly, it sure would be great if you did. Bulk orders are cheaper. Be a pal... buy an OMLT. I knew you would! The shirt will probably be available in L and XL, and the design is in the works as we speak. I am *NOT* in charge of design! That is Mr. Evan Chakroff's job, I believe. Go whine to him if you have questions about making a shirt design. Designs can be front and back and can include any number of colors, but more colors means more money. Submit today! (But not to me. Please. I beg of you.) --Christy ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:16:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970110151631_878296258@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: James NBC Polk >Has anyone noticed whether all these NBC references say >"James K. Polk" as opposed to "James Polk"? Is there some >reason why they always use his initial? It's somewhat >unusual If I recall correctly, this is the first to use the "K."? sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:16:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970110151635_1208474615@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Istanbul; 25 O'Clock Ha! In global studies, I wasn't paying too much attention, then suddenly I jumped up because my tutor (I'm tutored because of an injury, not 'cause I'm stupid, although I'm less than sharp in global studies...anyways..) says to me "Have you ever heard that old song 'Istanbul (Not Constantinople)'?" Hee hee, so I got to show her the video. :) THEN, I'm listening to the radio (WBER!) and 25 O'Clock comes on!!! Yes, the TMBG one! :) I bet I know who it was... (They switch over to 2 high schools from 2-3 and from 3-4.. that one is the one that someone I met at the TMBG show goes to.. coincidence?). So cool.. sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701102041.PAA15949@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: re: nothing important; UK stuff Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:41:52 -0500 (EST) > I originally posted to this list that They will > be here in March beacuse some guy at HMV in Oxford Street told me so Hmm, "some guy at HMV" doesn't really sound like a reliable credential... > > Can we get a UK part, or even a 'Rest of the world outside the US' ] > part on the Web-Site. > Not to pooh-pooh this, but it would be pretty small. I think that They do announce their Eurasian and Australian dates when they have any lined up, but they are fairly infrequent and tend to come all in one great lump when they do come. I suspect that you'll just have to watch and wait... m@t ------------------------------ From: chaufsch@sendit.sendit.nodak.edu Message-ID: <32D6AA71.3354@sendit.nodak.edu> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 14:45:37 -0600 Subject: TMBG: TMBG poll I'm new arround here and I'm wondering if someone can enlighten me on the recent discussions of the list. Also, does anyone know a release date for "Then" or is it just up in the air? Also, has anyone ever done a poll of favorite TMBG songs? If not I will! Thanks for the info. Chris Haufschild chaufsch@Sendit.Nodak.edu Web Master at http://www.jamestown.k12.nd.us jamweb@sendit.nodak.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 10 Jan 97 15:59 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Very Brave Men >We're discussing Plato's "Parable of the Cave" in my Comparative Literatures >class. Guess which song I have running through my head. Heh heh. I impressed my Quiz Bowl coach yet *again* when I answered the question, "What philosopher wrote about people chained up in a cave?" I, of course, answered, "Plato." Then I explained that I knew because of a TMBG song. He was impressed with me and was also once again impressed with TMBG. I'd already loaned him FS because of James K. Polk once, and I think he liked it. I'll convert him yet.. :) I think maybe I'll make him a tape of TMBG's literary songs someday. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: One More Polk Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:07:19 -0600 Message-ID: <19970110210717406.AAA278@ppp179.baraboo.com> > >you caught that but tou missed when she said "so your saying I don;t >have a snowball's chance in hell?" >coincidence? maybe or maybe someone over at SSusan is reading this list >(shifty eye movements) > Then i could say that maybe all the guys over at apogee software (the pathetic shareware company) also love TMBG, because i was, out of pure boredom, playing a game called "Death Rally" and someone said " They didn't have a snowball's chance in hell out there " So coincidence??? YES!!! Wyatt- whos sick and is just getting over it, YAY! just in time for the weekend :p ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:09:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970110160922_945413297@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Flood Towers I was "surfing" AOL, and came across Tower Musics "page" on AOL at KEYWORD: TOWER After looking through the TMBG albums, I found that Flood was actually Tower's No.10 of ALL albums for 1990. Isn't that awesome? Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701102116.QAA21246@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLTs, falsetto, other stuff Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:16:54 -0500 (EST) > > Let's stop this silly argument right now. From the 96 Holiday newsletter: > [repost of newsletter deleted] Yes, this has been discussed already, but there are those among us who do not believe. Nice try... Besides, I refuse to believe that discussing TMBG recordings and vocal performances even approaches the lack of worth of that recurring religion thread! m@t ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:38:07 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970110163806_1011096328@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Bones I had a Biology test today on locomotion (bones, muscles, etc...) I always had problems remembering if tendons connected muscles to bones, or if ligaments did. Tendons, actually do connect muscles to bones So, I came up with this little trick to help me: Tendons Muscles Bones Great! The first letter of each word TMBG. This helped me on the test with several questions that related to this. Sorry if this is irrelevant to anything, but I thought some might enjoy it! Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970110215459.006bbdf0@earthlink.net> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:54:59 -0500 From: "Adam P. Fistler" Subject: TMBG: Want To See TMBG The Movie? If you intrested in seeing They Might Be Giants the movie (1971) it will be on Starz (Cable Moive Channel) Saturday 1-11-96 at 9:30 am EST. Just thought'd I pass this along for all thats intrested. Also I'm still taking request for the 12/27/96 show. So far I have sent out 3 copys of it and those who sent me trades or tapes for the show should get it by Wednesday. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970110171957.00699964@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 17:20:01 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: What do you want on your OMLT? >The shirt will probably be available in L and XL, and the design is in the >works as we speak. I am *NOT* in charge of design! That is Mr. Evan >Chakroff's job, I believe. Go whine to him if you have questions about making >a shirt design. Designs can be front and back and can include any number of >colors, but more colors means more money. Submit today! (But not to me. >Please. I beg of you.) Yeah, whoever's designing shirt possibilities whine to me. I think we should try to keep it down to 2 colors at most. E-mail me and complain about something! I will start working on this as soon as I get some submissions. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970110172314.00693570@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 17:23:16 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG poll >>>Also, has anyone ever done a poll of favorite TMBG songs? If not I will!<<< No. Sorry, you are not a winner, better luck next time. No polls! No polls! nopollsnopollsnopollsnopolls.......ooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo........ Please don't do it... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 20:00:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970110194252_38048841@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Religon for fun In a message dated 1/10/97 4:10:29 PM, you wrote: <> I am not positive what you meant by this, but I think you meant since Flans got a Christmas gift and Linnell wore a Christmas shirt, they are Christian. This may not be the case. My family is Jewish, and they celebrate Christmas every year. Why? Because it's fun, that's why. Yeah sure, they might be Christian, or they might just be in the spirit. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on your saddle. -Kinky Friedman Adam's do it yourself .sig file (Updated sometimes) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 20:01:24 -0500 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19961205182721.37a73d4a@pop.mindspring.com> From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: Grover Cleaveland! I agree that the toucan thing and the snowball's chance in hell thing on Suddenly Susan were definitely coincidences. It's a big stretch to even bring in the toucan reference. Polk was a bad president because he thought the United States had every right to march into Mexico and take their land because of our "manifest destiny" to eventually own the whole continent, sea to shining sea, and he was willing to sacrifice a bunch of people's lives for it. And let's not even get into the Native American issues. Good song, bad president. -Kilroy Future purveyor of Melon Carnage. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Mayor Golding takes it up the a$$ from the G.O.P. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32D6EC00.3622@trib.infi.net> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 20:25:20 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: TMBG Cover Compilation J-Card hey, do any of you guys have any Pictures of John and John that you created perhaps sketched in Paintbrush or something, I'd really like to use them for the J-card (or sleeve) of the tribute album. Thanks. -- Matthew Ondrey "We've almost figured out how we get along, and given time we'll find it strange to be alone." - TMBG Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 18:40:55 -0800 (PST) From: "Whatever..." Subject: TMBG: Compilation Tape Message-ID: Hi all! I've been lurking on this list for a while now, but here goes my first posting... I'm going to be making a TMBG tape for a friend b/c he's going to be really into Them, but hasn't heard enough music to be a fan yet. So, I plan on including cool stuff that will help convert him to the cause. I've got the following TMBG stuff, let me know what song(s) you think are musts: They Might Be Giants Lincoln Flood John Henry Apollo 18 (not all, just selected songs unfortunately) Why Does the Sun Shine? EP Thanks in advance for the input, I'm sure my friend will appreciate the results. And if anyone can help suggest a creative title, that would be cool, too! Michelle *************************************************************************** "It was either take over the world or learn French. So I took over the world; and next weekend I can learn French." -- Violent Femmes Michelle Stevens mms@wolfe.net *************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701101538.PAA11274@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:39:52 +0000 Subject: TMBG: A Christmas Present, amongst others. Hey everyone! Well, I'm back from home now and inside the university and back on the list! Well, sort of. I kinda forgot to unsubscribe, so that was fun. Anyhow, hello all, and especially Nicola whom I met in London on Wednesday - if your home at any point e-mail me! I got aa very cool christmas present this year and I just have to tell you all about it: its a big glass head with a little wooden birdhouse in it. It was given to me by the only other TMBG fan I know in the deep dark depths of south west england. See ya all. I think the t-shirt ideas cool btw. and I want one, just maakes sure you can work out a way to maake it acessable to us lot over on the otherside of god's teardrop. Jon ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 03:05:51 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: Compilation Tape Message-ID: Don't interrupt me as I... I agree with that as I've just got a friend of mine into TMBG, admittedly he was drunk at the time but I said I'd make up a tape for him so any help would be apprecitaed! _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson "Fogging the view, cupping face to the window Derwent College in darkness you make out a spiraling shape. University of York putting all reason aside you exchange what Heslington you've got for a thing that's hypnotic and York strange. Put out your hands and you fall YO1 5DD through the window and clawing at nothing you drop through the void. Your terrified FLUMCAKE ON-LINE screams are inaudible drowned in the spiral It's almost here... ahead and consumed in the shape." ...struggle to complete this thought ________________________________________________________________________________ On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Whatever... wrote: > Hi all! > > I've been lurking on this list for a while now, but here goes my first > posting... > > I'm going to be making a TMBG tape for a friend b/c he's going to be > really into Them, but hasn't heard enough music to be a fan yet. So, I > plan on including cool stuff that will help convert him to the cause. > > I've got the following TMBG stuff, let me know what song(s) you think are > musts: > They Might Be Giants > Lincoln > Flood > John Henry > Apollo 18 (not all, just selected songs unfortunately) > Why Does the Sun Shine? EP > > Thanks in advance for the input, I'm sure my friend will appreciate the > results. > > And if anyone can help suggest a creative title, that would be cool, too! > > Michelle > *************************************************************************** > "It was either take over the world or learn French. > So I took over the world; and next weekend I can learn French." > -- Violent Femmes > Michelle Stevens mms@wolfe.net > *************************************************************************** > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 22:44:54 -0500 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <32D70CB6.263A@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Very Brave Men Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > But they show Hampton/Flansburgh holding an accordion, which makes me wonder > how much research they did. Actually, Hampton/Flans was playing a violin, which also dosn't make it look like they did much research. (I mean, couldn't the camels play the violin?) The accordian appeared in the other video, and was played by Dizzy. (I pay WAY too much attention to cartoons. Does it show ;) Does anyone else think that Linnell speeded up sounds a heck of a lot like Flans? I mean the quality of the voice... Flans has a very smooth quality, while Linnell... well, if their voices were orange juice, Linnell would be Tropicana with pulpy bits and Flans would be Hi-C. (Excuse the bad metaphor) Thoughts? -Mismirilda ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 23:32:27 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701110432.XAA12291@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Done someone wrong and I fear that it was me I was at "Big Lots" the other day, and sitting on the $1 tape shelf was "Climax -- Precious and Few: The Hits." After glancing at the cover, I can't be sure, due to the crappy printing quality which, among other things, made the entire band appear to have gangrene, but the lead singer did not have a noticeably messed-up face. So there. And BTW: No, I didn't buy it! What do you think I am, insane? >For some reason, when the jack is plugged in and >the cord coming out of it is at a certain angle, it doesn't give me the full >sound. It only gives me certain instruments played up real loud unmixed (as >in not at the produced volume levels) and other instruments played at a lower >volume in the background. What it's playing is the difference between the two channels. You can achieve the same effect with any headphones by putting tape over a portion of the jack, although which portion I can't remember at the moment. Any ideas? >I seem to remember reading that the State Songs are completed. >If this is true, does anyone have them, and know where I could get a copy? >If this is false, does anyone have better information? What, exactly, do you mean by "completed"? Supposedly, at the time the State Songs EP was released, Linnell had recorded songs for all 50 states, but it's just a rumor, and one I have seen absolutely no proof for. >Has anyone noticed whether all these NBC references say "James K. Polk" as >opposed to "James Polk"? Is there some reason why they always use his >initial? It's somewhat unusual. The Seinfeld reference referred to "James Polk" rather than "James K. Polk." And it's not all that unusual to refer to refer to the middle initials of presidents, especially when they have a catchy three-letter acronym like LBJ, FDR, or JKP. Josh Left the bathtub running over /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701110435.XAA11312@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Grover Cleaveland! Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 23:36:59 -0500 > I agree that the toucan thing and the snowball's chance in hell thing on Suddenly Susan were definitely coincidences. It's a big stretch to even bring in the toucan reference. I was just having fun... wasn't seriously implying anything. ------------------------------ From: mattm@mixcom.com Message-ID: <32D71B70.8F1@mixcom.com> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 22:47:44 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Very Brave Men Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > >We're discussing Plato's "Parable of the Cave" in my Comparative Literatures > >class. Guess which song I have running through my head. > > Heh heh. I impressed my Quiz Bowl coach yet *again* when I > answered the question, "What philosopher wrote about people chained up in > a cave?" I, of course, answered, "Plato." Then I explained that I knew > because of a TMBG song. sorry, I don't know this, which song is this? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970111061508.0069ce1c@spectra.net> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 01:15:08 -0500 From: ".,.-'*~*'-,.,..AmY" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Very Brave Men >sorry, I don't know this, which song is this? No One knows My Plan. We watched Plato's Cave Allegory in my Science-Fiction class last year :) it was pretty cool, this guy was locked up in a cave his whole life, but when he saw the shadows on the wall, he started to wonder if there was other life than being chained up, so when he started wondering, his chains fell off, and he tried to get them back on, but he couldn't. So he wandered outside of the cave, and there was like, trees and a pond and grass and everything, and it all scared him at first, then he got to like it, until winter, so he tried to get back in the cave, and the shadows tried to kill him. Theres like no words in the movie, you have to imply everything :) my teacher said that the book was good too :) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) EvErY OnE wAnTs To SeE tHaT gRoOvY ThInG AnaNgel@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: New Web Page! Message-ID: <19970110.215646.6935.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 01:36:07 EST Hi folks! I just got a new web page, check it out, lots of stuff from Them! http://members.aol.com/garit1997 "I'm in the cavern!" - John Linnell Garit1997@aol.com ###### Garit@juno.com http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-10 *****************************