Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-100 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 100 Friday, 11 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Kenyon/Clarissa RE: TMBG: OMLTs, etc TMBG: HORDE Re: TMBG: Linnell, Flans, Eye contact. TMBG: TMBG on Viva Picts TMBG: VIVA.WAV TMBG: VIVA.WAV Re: TMBG: Hooray! Re: TMBG: HORDE Re: TMBG: newsletter TMBG: the swearing incident & SC singing partical man TMBG: OMLTs, etc Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Re: TMBG: THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TMBG: April 19th Show Re: TMBG: Brian Doherty TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers TMBG: Stormy Pinkness RE: TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety TMBG: Washington Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers TMBG: Space Ghost: Coast to Coast Re: TMBG: Newsradio Re: TMBG: viva.wav Re: TMBG: THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Newsradio Re: TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety Re: TMBG: Space Ghost: Coast to Coast TMBG: in St. Louis TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-99 TMBG: Forum Re: TMBG: Newsradio Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers TMBG: Then / Puff / List / 440 Re: TMBG: Then / Puff / List / 440 TMBG: TMBG mp3s/SEXXY single TMBG: Who Knows?? TMBG: Waving/Puff/ TMBG: Background Lyric Switch, non-tmbg complaint, more Exquisite props, MD/FL s TMBG: A new recording available TMBG: Background Lyric Switch, non-tmbg complaint, more Exquisite props, MD/FL s Re: TMBG: Brian Doherty TMBG: THE Cubs? TMBG: AIIIIIIIEE!! TMBG: Posters TMBG: Linnell Re: TMBG: viva.wav Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers TMBG: Linnell! Space Ghost! Kittens! SGMH! Weep Day! Moderation! Viva! Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers TMBG: Re: Linnell Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape TMBG: mp3 finder/sorry TMBG: The Big Big Whoredom TMBG: now that..kitten TMBG: frank TMBG: Live in New York Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers Re: TMBG: Then / Puff / List / 440 Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape Re: TMBG: Puff TMBG: YAY! OMLT heaven TMBG: NON TMBG- HTML Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell Re: TMBG: Then / Puff / List / 440 TMBG: Unreleased songs Re: TMBG: Linnell! Space Ghost! Kittens! SGMH! Weep Day! Moderation! Viva! TMBG: Where Your Eyes Don't Go Re: TMBG: Brian Doherty Re: TMBG: Linnell, TMBG: T.M.B.G.: The Movie - Friday and Saturday TMBG: Re: TMBG related injuries and TMBG AOL forum TMBG: Baltimore Shows TMBG: KU and me TMBG: tmbg on JJJ Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:35:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Kenyon/Clarissa Message-ID: Wow, if the Kenyon show is free and open to the public, I'm there! Heck, even if it's just open to the public I'll be there! I know there's other interested people here, so let's get together! I was channel surfing on Tuesday, and I happened to stop on Nickelodian. Clarissa was just coming on, so I stopped and decided to watch for a while to see if I could catch a glimpse of anything TMBG. Well, it just so happened that there were about 5 or 6 really good shots of the poster on her wall! I was happy that I didn't surf right by the show. Oh, and I'm also still looking for the following concert boots: 3/14/95 - John Henry show in Chicago 12/3/96 - Columbus, OH 12/4/96 - Cleveland, OH I think someone said they had Cleveland...but I can't remember who. Let me know if anyone wants to set up a trade! Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org The thunder was ominous-sounding, much like the sound of a thin sheet of metal being shaken backstage during the storm scene in a play. (Barbara Fetherolf) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:17:57 -0600 (CST) From: "Francesca Parker" Message-Id: <55079.flparker@midway.uchicago.edu> Subject: RE: TMBG: OMLTs, etc I'm returning to the list after a lengthy hiatus...could someone explain what these shirts are all about? (I guess this puts me squarely in the camp of people who understand the urge to use abbreviations for long song titles and the like that are mentioned many times in a single post....but would also be much appreciative of a single written-out version in the same post to avoid confusion and brain-wracking. that hurts!) thanks a bunch, franny. ----------------------- In message Thu, 10 Apr 1997 00:26:12 -0400 (EDT), Christi587@aol.com writes: > OMLTs! Last 2 days to order, folks. Have your shirt order in by noon on > Friday or else. Send mail to christy@tmbg.org, inlcude > --number, SIZE of shirts > --name, shipping address > --e-mail address > and await your confirmation (I have sent all but about 10 of the > confirmations. Yay!) On Friday, I will finally get back in touch with the > company and find out about final pricing, where to send those checks, who > to make them out to, whether mediums are actually available, and all > those other burning questions. I will also try to figure out the cost of > postage this weekend so you can include that cost with your shirt price, > because (call me selfish) I don't really feel like paying it all myself! > "Shipping and handling charges" should only be a coupla extra bucks. > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:24:53 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: HORDE Message-ID: Hey all-- I saw all of the hullabaloo about HORDE and who was going to be on it. Funny, but the Pavement list seemed to sprout the same thing at the same time. Here's the first post about it to the Pavement list: --begin quote-- Don't know if this has been posted yet but I just heard that Pavement will probably be doing some HORDE dates this summer. Other bands include Neil Young, Wilco, Widespread Panic, Soul Coughing, Son Volt, Ben Folds Five, Big Head Todd & The Monsters etc. --end quote-- So there are some very cool bands on that one. Damn, Soul Coughing, Ben Folds Five (yeah!!), Wilco, etc., etc., all on the same tour with Pavement? Damn....hope this isn't just a rumor. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I'm sure back home they think I've lost my mind." --Ben Folds Five, "Evaporated" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334CB2E4.4964@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:29:08 -0700 From: David Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, Flans, Eye contact. ellen g. wrote: > Actually, I experinced this interesting phenomenon last Saturday at the > Boston concert, where I happened to be in the first row. Linnell actually > made and held eye contact with those of us lucky enough to be there, while > Flansburgh just sorta started out at the general audience. Other people I > was with noticed it as well. It happened more during the "Then" set, at the > beginning, when all he had was the mike and the accordion. I have noticed this phenomenon too, but I am also happy to report that I was in the front row at the recent Palo Alto CA show and they opened with (er maybe it was the second song) "rhythm section want ad". I have this habit of singing along with Flans, and during the part where linnell goes "do you sing like olive oyl on purpose", Flans saw me singing along with his part "no no no no no", made eye contact, and smiled and nodded at me... made my night :) jdm ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334CB406.141F@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:33:58 -0700 From: JDM Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Viva Picts Heya, so i digitized a few pictures from Theys apperance for anyone who might have missed it ('coz #$*%^@ TCI has something against Comedy Central) The pictures include Flans ripping out his guitar strings and Linnell looking quite happy and well, contrary to most peoples observations. `;) check it out... http://www.best.com/~dmaynard/They.htm jdm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970406171935.21ffe19e@mail.one.net> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 17:19:35 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: VIVA.WAV > Has anyone been able to get a copy of the viva.wav from Goatboy's page? > I think the w3.one.net server is screwed up...it keeps cutting off in the > middle of every download... :P > Can someone upload it to ftp.tmbg.org or something? > (BTW, thanks for making this WAV available for those of us who were too dumb > to tape it. :P) I'm uploading it to tmbg.org/incoming as I write this. I am sorry about the server, it has something to do with UUNET being all goofy or some other such garbage. I didn't notice any problems in my connection, but a few people seem to have had internet service cut off. The problem is now solved. Later today I will upload to the electra.foo.org or whatever that is. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970406173113.2bef83fc@mail.one.net> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 17:31:13 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: VIVA.WAV > I'm uploading it to tmbg.org/incoming as I write this. I am sorry > about the server, it has something to do with UUNET being all goofy > or some other such garbage. I didn't notice any problems in my > connection, but a few people seem to have had internet service cut > off. The problem is now solved. Later today I will upload to the > electra.foo.org or whatever that is. Okay, I am really sorry about this, but I have to go to school and I don't have time. So please disregard the VIVA.WAV and VIVA.ZIP at tmbg.org I will upload them tonight. Terribly sorry, once again. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704101308.IAB77928@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:03:45 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Hooray! the exclusive company hasit for $19.99, as does he den in madison wi geoff At 12:23 PM 4/9/97 -0700, you wrote: >I'm getting T: TEY for $21 of Thursday! > >I called up and they (ppl at Cellophane Square in B'ham) said they had a >copy for $20.99 on sale, and I asked if they'd hold it, and they said >YES! Yay! * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704101311.IAA63912@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:06:28 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: HORDE holy cow am i going to go to hoarde this year!!! thank god the palooza still sucks. anyone have a date list? geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704101315.IAA35574@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:10:18 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: newsletter the newsletter is exactly the same as www.tmbg.com (except obviously the web page is updated a little more often.). i too have only gotten one, but i check the web page really quite often. i suppose that when there's a substantial amount of new stuff they'll put out a new print one. what is it, bi-annually? geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9704101320.AA29660@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:04:49 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: the swearing incident & SC singing partical man >Did anyone notice that in everyone getting upset over someone saying "bitch", >that it was quoted like 30 times? Actually, it didn't seem that anyone at all was upset for the swearing. It was because it was an insult directed to a fellow list member that was totally unwarented. Nothing about the word itself, just the manner in which it was used. I have no problem with people using the word, but if someone calls one of my friends a bitch I'll naturally get pissed off... Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but is there any reason why Schoolchildren singing particle man is on THEN? Since particle man is on Flood...and flood was released in the Elektra years... Doesn't seem it'd be an appropriate song for a Restless-era compilation... Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704101332.AA12016@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: OMLTs, etc Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:32:45 -0400 (EDT) > >Gleemonex! Makes it feel like its 72 degrees in your head all the time! > >(All apologies to KdsInThHal!) > > I always wondered why they made that degree number in farenheit if they're > Canadian...ah well. Appealing to an American audience, I suppose. (Hey! Maybe > that's the same reason British singers loose their accents when they sing!) I think most Canadians (can't say for this wacky Quebecians) and even Brits use Farenheit. Unless someone wants to prove me wrong ;) Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704101443.AAA15294@mail.mel.aone.net.au> From: "Royce M Lee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 00:46:53 +1000 > And he has the ability to tell low quality pot from the second hand smoke > alone, and makes fun of people smoking low quality pot when they live in a > part of the country where they could get much better stuff in their own > backyard. > > He didn't seem surprised when the waft of smoke made it's way up to the > stage at Their recent show in Seattle. Well, except for how early in the > show it was. Is this common at Their shows? They just don't seem like > that sort of a band to me. > At their recent Canberra concert, Flans made a comment about someone in the audience smoking "really stale pot". Linnell quietly mentioned "it's Mike" and pointed in the direction of their tour manager. Royce M. Lee parvenu@b022.aone.net.au (please note my new email address) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970410150802.00675234@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:08:02 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >They could be reading everything you post, every >criticism you have about Them! This has been discussed before. We've pretty much all concluded that there's no way They're reading this list (I believe they have as much said so themselves). Besides, it is against natural sane behavior to read stuff about yourself like the stuff we've posted. I think it Might drive Them stark raving mad! :-) ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:21:38 -0500 (EST) From: apatte2@UMBC2.UMBC.EDU Subject: TMBG: April 19th Show Message-id: If anyone is planning on going to the April 19th show at Bohagers in Fells Point and hasn't bought their ticket yet, please contact me via email. My friend backed out and now I'm stuck with an extra ticket so I would appreciate if someone would buy it off me. I mean, sure you could just get it from the Box Office, but haven't you always wanted to go through the middle-man (or middle-woman in this case)??? (c= Autumn (c= ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:32:25 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Doherty Message-Id: *SILLY QUESTION ALERT* so i've got one for ya: is brian doherty still with Them? being cable deprived, i didn't see VV, and haven't heard mention of him. at the November show in Kansas City he was there (and i was officially in love) but i haven't heard anything since. please please tell me that he's still around! i'd hate to have to drop out of school at this time to search for my love...:) jillian ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* my name is jillian i study the earth i need a job woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970410092718.006dfb40@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:27:25 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers >The great lyrics from >John Henry are Unrelated Thing and Thermostat. *whew* I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world who liked Unrelated Thing. And I loooove O, Do Not Forsake Me--it's such a weirdly wonderful cross between early music and barbershop quartet. >Have any of you ever considered that John and/or John might belong to >this mailing list, but just don't post because They don't want to be >bombarded with mail? They could be reading everything you post, every >criticism you have about Them! Yeah, I can picture it now... "Hey, John! Get over here; you won't BELIEVE the crazy interp they've come up THIS time!" "*snort**chuckle* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Seriously, guys, I doubt They have the time. :) But just in case: John and John, if you're out there-- you guys are the best! Thank you for your wonderful music! :) >He also mentioned that he has a >neurotic sense of personal space, so is very uncomfortable with people he >doesn't know touching him, talking to him, or even looking at him. Yeah, I read that and I thought it was weird for a rock musician. Maybe that's one of the reasons I like Them... they're not into the massive ego trips. > Now on a slightly different subject about Viva Variety, I was >very disapointed that John Flansburgh didn't sing. Why the hell was >Graham singing?! He sang at the two concerts I went to also. I dunno... at the two TMBG concerts I went to it was pure J&J singing, except during I Am Not Your Broom, when Graham and Dan joined Flans in singing the broom's parts. > the >boss whose name I don't know was talking about having a bee in his >bonnet!!!! I'd never heard this expression before Birdhouse.... Is it very >common? Or has our They-friend at NBC been writing again???? Sorry, it's just an expression. It's a hokey, old-fashioned, nearly archaic expression (sort of like "Jumpin' Jehosophat!" or something), but I don't think we can chalk it up to our They-friend at NBC. >They should have put We Just Go Nuts at Christmastime >and Stormy Pinkness on there, too. Yeah! And especially Hell Hotel! What possessed them to leave such a good song off of T:TEY? >Linnell actually >made and held eye contact with those of us lucky enough to be there I swear he stared straight at me for most of the Palo Alto show last month... of course, there are probably many others who felt the same way... Linnell has this weird ability to make direct eye contact with several people simultaneously. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "The words I'm saying now mean nothing more than 'meow' to an animal."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704101635.AA12170@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Stormy Pinkness Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 12:35:55 -0400 (EDT) There is no way they could have even considered putting Stormy Pinkness on the T:TEY because it is an Istanbul b-side and thus doesn't not fit into the design of having pre-Elektra material. Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:40:59 -0700 >---------- >From: elleng@massart.edu[SMTP:elleng@massart.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 1997 8:54 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety > >> Of the two, I like Linnell the best. He is my idol, I love his >>music and his style. But has anyone noticed that he just doesn't seem to >>be a "people person"? >Actually, I experinced this interesting phenomenon last Saturday at the >Boston concert, where I happened to be in the first row. Linnell actually >made and held eye contact with those of us lucky enough to be there, while >Flansburgh just sorta started out at the general audience. Other people I >was with noticed it as well. It happened more during the "Then" set, at the >beginning, when all he had was the mike and the accordion. He did the same thing at the Seattle show. Course, I WAS holding a broom, which would explain the funny look that came over his face every time he looked at me... *snicker* >>Linnell had >>that "Get me the hell out of here before I explode" look on his face. >That's sorta the look he gave us at the concert... Now see, at the March Seattle show, he was actually smiling for much of the concert. Which was a total shock, because it's the only time I've ever seen him smile. Ever. It was kool to see. (: >-ellen g. Jesse ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704101652.AA12215@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Washington Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 12:52:16 -0400 (EDT) Does anyone know why TMBG are skipping Washington this time around? Matt "don't say you want me, don't say you need me, cause it's no good" -dm -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:07:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers Message-ID: > >Linnell actually > >made and held eye contact with those of us lucky enough to be there > > I swear he stared straight at me for most of the Palo Alto show last > month... of course, there are probably many others who felt the same way... > Linnell has this weird ability to make direct eye contact with several > people simultaneously. > I thought that about the e. lansing instore in October. But then my friend Amy said the same thing, and so did Andy, and Andrea, and Rick, and Kate, and..... Yeah, anyway, I felt connected to the band. Especially when Flansburgh almost pushed a speaker onto my head when he was trying to adjust it...... :) Elitza Spork Princess ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:32:57 -0500 From: elleng@massart.edu (ellen g.) Subject: TMBG: Space Ghost: Coast to Coast Being new to this group, I'm not sutre if this topic has yet been beaten to death or not. I'm sure you're all familiar with the fact that TMBG did the theme for the Cartoon Networks' *fabulous* program Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. (second only to Cartoon Planet! I loved that show!) Anyways, I was just wondering if someone had a .wav or .aiff or basically any other format of it lying around somewhere. :) (I'd like a copy!) thanx -ellen g April is the crulest month, breeding lilacs out of the dead earth, mixing memory and desire, stirring dull roots with spring rain. -T. S. Eliot ------------------------------ From: bob_iii@juno.com Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:55:19 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Newsradio Message-ID: <19970410.134523.3342.1.bob_iii@juno.com> ) )Our NBC friends have struck again. About one minute ago on Newsradio, the )boss whose name I don't know was talking about having a bee in his )bonnet!!!! I'd never heard this expression before Birdhouse.... Is it very )common? Or has our They-friend at NBC been writing again???? My history teacher used the phrase last year all the time i giggled every time she said it though ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:15:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970410141246_1411374125@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: viva.wav In a message dated 97-04-09 23:28:30 EDT, you write: << I've tried to download it 2-3 times last nite. It kept cutting me off, too. I'll give it a shot later tonite. Maybe it was just because so many of us were trying to get it.... >> I got it just fine last night... I didn't listen to it all though... I won't clutter the list with my kid-whose-never-heard-of-TMBG story... BUT it involves lyrics written on my Chemistry book... "They Might Be Who?" and the word "sexy"... It's just too gruesome for this list.... /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ < Miscellaneous Tim > < AKA > < TMB(do)G > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > < 4. Whistle the first seven notes of "It's a Small World" incessantly. > < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > < -The Connells > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704101817.LAA15942@f22.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:17:41 PDT >Have any of you ever considered that John and/or John might belong to >this mailing list, but just don't post because They don't want to be >bombarded with mail? They could be reading everything you post, every >criticism you have about Them! > Just something to think about... 1. if they do belong to the list, well, good for them. They don't have to say so-they're entitled to a bit of privacy. 2. A little constructive criticism will do them some good. (BTW, I miss brian Doherty with a passion. Dan is all right, but...)If they had a problem they'd find a way to say so. Mouse Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ###################################################### Who can snap my fingers? Nobody can. Nobody can. Where's my cat's pajamas? In the can, the big trash can. Swing is a word 6 Ft. down. 387-6962. Narrrrrrrrr. Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:25:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Dan McNevin Subject: Re: TMBG: Newsradio Message-ID: > )Our NBC friends have struck again. About one minute ago on Newsradio, > the > )boss whose name I don't know was talking about having a bee in his > )bonnet!!!! I'd never heard this expression before Birdhouse.... Is it > very > )common? Or has our They-friend at NBC been writing again???? > > My history teacher used the phrase last year all the time i giggled every > time she said it though yeah, it's pretty common, i had to say it as a line in a play (ten little indians) and later heard birhouse, and now always think of that play when i hear birhouse :) but yeah, fairly common, or was, not many people use the term anymore.. dan ___ dan mcnevin | danlin@underworld.net cold meat productions | danlin@pimpz.org www.underworld.net/~danlin | danlin@acquiesce.org TMBG Fan #: 52169 | danlin@the-beatles.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704101823.LAA07156@f8.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:23:46 PDT > Of the two, I like Linnell the best. He is my idol, I love his >music and his style. But has anyone noticed that he just doesn't seem to be a 'people person"? [deletia] Yup. I can't begin to understand everyone's crush on him. He's neurotic in an endearing way. But his anti-social tendencies get old. Or hell, maybe the man's just shy. > > Now on a slightly different subject about Viva Variety, I was >very disapointed that John Flansburgh didn't sing. Why the hell was >Graham singing?! He sang at the two concerts I went to also. Does he >sing background vacals for Linnell on the album? I always just assumed it >was Flans. That's what it said on the Unofficial TMBG Website. Yeah, guys, we're all puzzled by this one. Mouse Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ###################################################### Who can snap my fingers? Nobody can. Nobody can. Where's my cat's pajamas? In the can, the big trash can. Swing is a word 6 Ft. down. 387-6962. Narrrrrrrrr. Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:23:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Space Ghost: Coast to Coast Message-ID: Ellen...are you the lovely girl I met at the Boston show who cut in front of me and my friends who had been waiting since 3pm? If you are Im the girl with the Johns' year book pictures....remember? Katie ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:43:09 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: in St. Louis Message-ID: Hey all-- Well, the TMBG show in St. Louis has been confirmed. By this I mean that they announced the show in the Riverfront Times (the St. Louis paper that actually matters....more arts and entertainment than anything else, but good anyway). They are playing at some club I've never been to before (can't remember the name). Unfortunately, I just found out that it's a 21+ show. Damn it all. And yes, it is on May 1. Well, if anyone is 21+ and is going to the show, I just might have to loan you my recorder (if I ever get around to getting one) and having you tape it for me. Oh well, see y'all later. bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "My biggest fear is if I let you go / You'll come and get me in my sleep" --Morphine (saw them last night in St. Louis....amazing show) ------------------------------ From: "Jerry Pinner" Organization: Rowan University Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:43:20 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-99 Message-ID: <27D202A52BA@elan.rowan.edu> > >Am I the only one who gets the newsletter? > I've been subscribed on the newsletter list for quite some time now, and they are very few and far between. That's okay though, we all know how busy Their schedules are, and They do contribute heavily to the content of the newsletter, so...... -Jerry "How many things that you believe come straight out of T.V. and magazines?" -Less Than Jake- ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:49:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970410144823_1153099900@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Forum Here's the deal... I was looking in AOL's File Download list for "Connells" It brought up two pix of the greatful dead uploaded by Jerry Connell (DOH!) At the bottom it says AOL Greatful Dead Forum... keyword:dead... The question is: How can we make a They Might Be Giants forum??? Anyone here know how? Do we need to petition AOL? /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ < Miscellaneous Tim > < AKA > < TMB(do)G > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > <10. Stand silent and motionless in the corner, facing the wall,> < without getting off. > < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > < -The Connells > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 20:04:42 +0100 (BST) From: David Buffham Subject: Re: TMBG: Newsradio Message-ID: On Thu, 10 Apr 1997 bob_iii@juno.com wrote: > ) > )Our NBC friends have struck again. About one minute ago on Newsradio, > the > )boss whose name I don't know was talking about having a bee in his > )bonnet!!!! I'd never heard this expression before Birdhouse.... Is it > very > )common? Or has our They-friend at NBC been writing again???? It's an old English thing, I think - my grandparents use it a lot and I'm sure that they're not into TMBG! Birdhouse In Your Soul is my favouritest ever record of all time (so far) - and it got into the top 10 in the UK charts. Then we had Istanbul which didn't do so well, and other stuff such as Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng and The Statue Got me High which didn't happen at all over here. Shame Really. So albums are hard to get hold of - I've got John Henry, Apollo 18, Flood and one other ?? (which finishes with We're The Replacements) - but that's about it! How many am I missing out on? What's worth getting hold of? Does anyone know how long is their tour going on for - does it come near Europe at all - or Canada even? Where will it be during the summer? I saw a set list on this list a couple of days ago and it looked like a awesome show - I'd love to experience it! Cheers ttfn David ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 15:17 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers Yeah, anyway, I felt connected to the band. Especially when >Flansburgh almost pushed a speaker onto my head when he was trying to >adjust it...... :) Wow... to be crushed to death by one of Their speakers. What a way to go.. ;) Eye contact: I could've sworn They waved at us at the hootie show, because we were the only ones dancing. Don't burst my bubble by telling me they probably couldn't even see us; let me live with my fantasy. :) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970410153204.006b9b4c@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:32:04 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Then / Puff / List / 440 I love obscure subj. lines, don't you? :) then I definately agree... Hell Hotel should have been on Then: and SC singing Particle Man should've been cut out, destined to live in the obscurity of DAS tapes, and Their personal collection. puff anyone else excited about the upcoming Mono Puff album? Hopefully it will contain only good songs (I love Mono Puff, but I still have to skip Don'T I Have The Right, and Don't Break The Heart) list If They were on the list (discussed before..) I'm sure Linnell would go nuts reading all these posts from people worrying about how he looks and stuff.... 440 (NON-) anyone heard (of) the band called Apollo 440? I'm thinking of switching to digest.... this is way too much mail... -ec, http://center.base.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 16:03 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Then / Puff / List / 440 (I love Mono Puff, but I still have to skip Don'T I >Have The Right, and Don't Break The Heart) Y'know, i used to not like "Don't I Have the Right," but then I fell in love with some of the images in it, esp. "pour milk in my coffee/ and watch it explode." I think of that every time I watch someone pour milk in their coffee, and it really *does* look like it's exploding. I just like "Don't Break the Heart." It's a cool song. :) BTW, is there a web page w/ Mono Puff lyrics? Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:13:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG mp3s/SEXXY single Message-ID: Mp3s are definitely cool. CD quality sound at 1/10 the space of a wav? Right on. So anyway, I got mp3s for the SEXXY single, and man, that's a pretty weird single. The stores in my area didn't have it (how much does Elektra suck now? I've seen all of the other Elektra singles around here, but we wouldn't want people buying SEXXY, would we?), so I haven't gotten it yet. We've Got a World That Swings: great song. Except for this: Toys R Us. "I don't wanna grow up, but even if I did, I'd wanna be a Toys R Us kid." If you can remember the song from those commercials, and then you listen to WGAWTS, you'll know what I mean. Unforgotten: what a weird song this is. Frank Black meets Aerosmith and the Wallflowers. Seriously odd that TMBG would do a song that sounds like this one does. The new version of SenSurround rocks hard, and I _love_ the funky part in the middle, but the guitar work does remind me of Till My Head, whereas the old version did not. I still advise everyone to get this single if you haven't yet. It's pretty cool. RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 20:24:23 UT From: "Kathy and Ryan " Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: Who Knows?? I'm pretty sure someone said: >>>>>>Have any of you ever considered that John and/or John might belong to this mailing list, but just don't post because They don't want to be bombarded with mail? They could be reading everything you post, every criticism you have about Them! Just something to think about... -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of.<<<<<< Who's been criticizing the Johns? Isn't that blasphemy? or at least heresy? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:30:51 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <334D5C0B.67ED@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Waving/Puff/ Kirsten Brodbeck scribbled: > way to go.. ;) Eye contact: I could've sworn They waved at us at the > hootie show, because we were the only ones dancing. Don't burst my bubble > by telling me they probably couldn't even see us; let me live with my > fantasy. :) > If you see Them at a club setting, you can get really close to them and, yes, if you wave while he's looking at you he will wave back... As soon as someone knows any definite info on HORDE...I'd like to know later-hosen Whim [ currently listening to:Mainstream USA.They Might Be Giants ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:36:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970410173139_-702011985@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Background Lyric Switch, non-tmbg complaint, more Exquisite props, MD/FL s Hello 41- MD/FL shows- I know one of the St. Pete show goers is trying to set up to meet us all at that show, but what about others? Who is going to Talahassee? Also, I'm going to be going up to Maryland for the shows at Western MD and Bohagers! Yay! Now which of you is going to find me there? On Friday, I can drive people from the NJ/NY area down if they would like. Let me or the list know. Background Lyric Switch- Many people have talked about how Flans no longer does the background vocals in songs such as Till My Head, and wonder why. I take it from the fact that I remember Flans saying his favorite songs to do have been Don't Let's, and Polka. He said that he just likes to stand back and rock out. I think with Grahm doing background vocals instead of Flans, he gets to do this, especially in a song like Till My Head. Non-TMBG- I belive that when talking about TMBG, other subjects, such as ska, Marilyn Manson, Douglass Adams, whatever, come up. I also think that these issues should be talked about in PRIVATE MAIL. It'll keep the list volume down and make a lot of people happy. Please try to comply for everybody's sake. Waffle (I forgot your real name)- Is your version of "What Is Everyone Staring At" The complete version, or did you cut stuff out? More Exquisite Dead Guy props to use- I really like this song, as well as its live version. Does anyone else think that it would be ultra-cool if they brought back the metronome for it? I just think it'd fit. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on your saddle. -Kinky Friedman Currently in the CD Changer- They Might Be Giants-Then: The Earlier Years 2, Man or Astroman?-Destroy All Astromen, Laurie Anderson-Big Science, Coctails-Early Hi-Ball Years, Henry Rollins-Human Butt 2 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704102218.SAA03593@hobbes.dtcc.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: A new recording available Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:34:44 -0400 On March 23rd, a bunch of us here at the "music community" at the U of Delaware performed several TMBG songs. If you want to check it out, go to http://www.udel.edu/spike/cas/ I Can Hear You is from December and the March performance includes Hide Away, Folk Family, Ana Ng, and Particle Man (with improv interludes between the three). At some point I'll split up the March performance into three files, but for now it's in one 13-meg file. Check it out if you have the time... :> harlanm ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:36:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970410173139_-702011985@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Background Lyric Switch, non-tmbg complaint, more Exquisite props, MD/FL s Hello 41- MD/FL shows- I know one of the St. Pete show goers is trying to set up to meet us all at that show, but what about others? Who is going to Talahassee? Also, I'm going to be going up to Maryland for the shows at Western MD and Bohagers! Yay! Now which of you is going to find me there? On Friday, I can drive people from the NJ/NY area down if they would like. Let me or the list know. Background Lyric Switch- Many people have talked about how Flans no longer does the background vocals in songs such as Till My Head, and wonder why. I take it from the fact that I remember Flans saying his favorite songs to do have been Don't Let's, and Polka. He said that he just likes to stand back and rock out. I think with Grahm doing background vocals instead of Flans, he gets to do this, especially in a song like Till My Head. Non-TMBG- I belive that when talking about TMBG, other subjects, such as ska, Marilyn Manson, Douglass Adams, whatever, come up. I also think that these issues should be talked about in PRIVATE MAIL. It'll keep the list volume down and make a lot of people happy. Please try to comply for everybody's sake. Waffle (I forgot your real name)- Is your version of "What Is Everyone Staring At" The complete version, or did you cut stuff out? More Exquisite Dead Guy props to use- I really like this song, as well as its live version. Does anyone else think that it would be ultra-cool if they brought back the metronome for it? I just think it'd fit. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on your saddle. -Kinky Friedman Currently in the CD Changer- They Might Be Giants-Then: The Earlier Years 2, Man or Astroman?-Destroy All Astromen, Laurie Anderson-Big Science, Coctails-Early Hi-Ball Years, Henry Rollins-Human Butt 2 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334D1A22.2CF0@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:49:38 +0000 From: "Bill J. Michalski" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Doherty Jillian wrote on 4/10: >is brian doherty still with Them? Unfortunately Brian has left the group. He was with them (and smiling as always) when I saw them in January. Sometime between then and now, he left, and the rivers in Ohio flooded (the tears of God, probably). The new drummer is Dan Hickey, who seems to be a pleasant fellow. Brian is out there somewhere. It may be up to you to find him. Peace in John and John, Bill from St. Louis ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334D752D.56E1@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:18:05 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: THE Cubs? THE CubS? It's just Cub... btw, where are they from, anyway? Vancouver? -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334D769B.2CD@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:24:11 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: AIIIIIIIEE!! AIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEGH!!!!!!! ARRRGH!! GRUNT! SNORT! HUFF! PUFF! FINALLY, I find the stupid T:TEY, for $21! TWENTY-ONE DOLLARS!!! THEN, I get a hold on it. A five day hold! It expires in two days. I DECIDE to sell off two of my M: TG cards that are worth at LEAST $20! I go to a comics shop. THEY already have it. I go to ANOTHER comics shop... THEY don't buy any. FINALLY, I go to the LAST FREAKING Comics Shop in my little town, and WHAT DO THEY OFFER ME??? !>&%!!! That's ONE DOLLAR AND SEVENTY-FIVE #@!^&(* CENTS!! Too angry to put in his tagline, Vladmir Duakul (i'm so mad i can't even spel right) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334D7AF6.4D89@tgi.net> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:42:46 -0700 From: Nathan Turner I Organization: the Asylum Subject: TMBG: Posters Hello listies and lurkers alike I've been lurking on the digest for a while now and am finally coming out into the light. I have but one small question. Does anyone out there have any idea where I could get some TMBG posters? I've looked all over without success. My empty walls and I would appreciate any help. Well, Back to Lurking... -- DAVID: It's such a fine line between stupid an'... DEREK: ...and clever. DAVID: Yeah, and clever. --"This is Spinal Tap" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334D7C35.4031@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:48:05 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Linnell > Of the two, I like Linnell the best. He is my idol, I love his >music and his style. But has anyone noticed that he just doesn't seem to be a'people person"? [deletia] Yup. I can't begin to understand everyone's crush on him. He's neurotic in an endearing way. But his anti-social tendencies get old. Or hell, maybe the man's just shy.> I know why he's not a "ppl person..." I saw a record of a chat session on AOL (barf) with Linnell... he said it was 'cuz he's always really exhausted after concerts, and you may be reassured to know that he personally apologized to every person who he's crushed by blowing them off... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"Here's hoping you dont Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334D818D.173B@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:10:53 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: viva.wav I won't clutter the list with my kid-whose-never-heard-of-TMBG story... BUT it involves lyrics written on my Chemistry book... "They Might Be Who?" and the word "sexy"... It's just too gruesome for this list.... I have experiences like that all the time... I have a big ol' Violent Femmes t-shirt design/poster/flyer thing on the back of my 3-ring... and whenever someone gets up the nerve to ask who they are, they come up and say, "Uh, who are the Violent FeeMees?" And I scream "FEMMES! LIKE FE-MMZ!" And if they pronounce Femmes correctly, I scream "YOU SAID IT RIGHT!" and scare them out of their shoes... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 20:48:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970410204603_1153139524@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers In a message dated 97-04-10 18:19:45 EDT, ana.ng@tmbg.org (Nicole the Wonder Nerd) writes: << >Have any of you ever considered that John and/or John might belong to >this mailing list, but just don't post because They don't want to be >bombarded with mail? They could be reading everything you post, every >criticism you have about Them! Yeah, I can picture it now... "Hey, John! Get over here; you won't BELIEVE the crazy interp they've come up THIS time!" "*snort**chuckle* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Seriously, guys, I doubt They have the time. :) >> Just imagine how They must feel if They knew we dream about them. They would feel so cool (which They are of course) joel "TV-M"Gedalius ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 19:58:29 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Linnell! Space Ghost! Kittens! SGMH! Weep Day! Moderation! Viva! Message-ID: LINNELL- I understand Linnell's sense of personal space and everything because I am exactly the same way. I love flying, personally, but I hate airplanes- I loath being crammed into a tiny space with a bunch of people I don't know, elbow-to-elbow. Being paranoid-delusional as I am, it doesn't make the situation any better. But I do think that, despite exhaustion (not that I don't think its valid!) and dislike for strangers, Linnell should make some effort for his fans. DOn't treat us like we're total strangers, we like his music and all! I mean, I love the band, but I doubt they get mobbed on the street (IT's Linnell! Get 'im!) when they go about, so its not like fans are a constant threat to their way of life. Just sign a few autographs, shake a few hands, whatever! Ok, I'm off my soap box now... SPACE GHOST- Well, actually, the Space Ghost Coast to Coast theme was done by Sonny Sharrock, and the Cartoon Planet theme had been done by Them...I am also on the Space Ghost mailing list, cross-over city! KITTEN INTRO- I love the Kitten Intro. I'm glad They aren't an easy listening Nazi rock band...I love the voice that's used, but who's speaking? I want to say Linnell, but I find it hard to tell 'em apart when they speak (well, sometimes...at least on Then it is) STATUE- I like my SGMH interp, thought it's not mine per se. But then, I like 2001, too, so I guess I'm biased. Also, remember kids, its pronounced Don "joo-an"- those Victorians were not real big on respect for other cultures. And if you don't believe me, look at the poem and check out the rhyme scheme... WEEP DAY- The Weep Day interp was cool! I sung this song for like three days straight after receiving Then. But in the last stanza, I don't think the singer is addressing the audience really, but another person, or himself. If the beginning was about a dual personality, Tambo and Urine Man, I see the lines, "I didn't write the words you hear me singing" by one person, "I didn't sing the line before this one" by the other half, then "You were not the one I was addressing" by the first- a kind of tiff between the personalities. Then they kind of make up a story between them (T- Tambo, U- Urine Man): U- I didn't write the words you hear me singing! T- I didn't sing the line before this one! U- You were not the one I was addressing! T- That person took a train to Africa! U- Where he met the consolate from Belgium... T- Who is now a hermit in a cave... U- Who is pitching for the Oakland Raiders... T- Striking out the batter she became! then "You were not the one I was addressing" by the first- a kind of tiff between the personalities. Then they kind of make up a story between them (T- Tambo, U- Urine Man): U- I didn't write the words you hear me singing! T- I didn't sing the line before this one! U- You were not the one I was addressing! T- That person took a train to Africa! U- Where he met the consolate from Belgium... T- Who is now a hermit in a cave... U- Who is pitching for the Oakland Raiders... T- Striking out the batter she became! So, the happy one, Tambo, is adding these bizarre asides or interjections to the speech that Urine Man is making, and becoming annoyed, they have a little argument, which gets more and more abstract and illogical as it goes on. Dig? Because the part is never called the whole thing and it bothers it to know its so- I'm thinking Akbar and Jeff for these two, here, and their bizarre little arguments. VIVA- I liked the song They chose for their appearance, and I think that the lyric change to "decrepit" was good as it implied the song's meaning about old age a little better than "forgetful." John looked bored, bored, bored, and I think that the camera man did an awful job. When Flansy started breaking his strings, I only caught part of it (I saw his hands flailing and thought, "What the hell is he doing over there?") and the camera man seemed to say, "Hey, that other guy is doing something! I should show it! Wait, the singer! Oh, the guy!" I think they should have just drawn back and shown a shot of the entire band, not just the singer, though I agree that that's why Linnell was most of the shot. And I didn't like Linnell's new coif- I love long hair on that man, short hair just makes his face too long... MODERATION- Well, Moderation in all things, I suppose, but I don't see it- like censorship, I believe that people ought to be (read: ought, not are!) capable of censoring themselves and realizing what is appropriate and what is not. We've all set guidlines for ourselves before- try to not post more than once, no "me too!" answer posts, etc, and inevitably, someone doesn't go along and it all goes to hell in a handcart. I think we should draw up a faq of some sorts, perhaps, that will let us know what our limits are- I don't like the idea of someone else telling us what we can or cannot post, but if its done democratically (ie, post a list of things we don't like and have people vote by private mail) I think we all could handle it. As to non tmbg stuff, I think that putting "Non-tmbg" in the list is good, but for you digesters, I don't know. I like to find out what I have in common with all of you, and find most of the non-tmbg posts to be interesting. I do believe, howver, that the Manson post was _way_ out of hand... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I'm a cipher! A cipher wrapped in an enigma, covered in \\ secret sauce!" -Jimmy James, "Newsradio" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334D5A07.513E@baka.com> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:22:15 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers > Just imagine how They must feel if They knew we dream about them. They would > feel so cool (which They are of course) I dunno. How would you feel if you knew a bunch of people you had never met, and never even seen except maybe briefly in the front row of a big auditorium were so obsessed with you that they had strange dreams involving you on a regular basis? I don't know about the rest of you, but it would kinda freak me out to know that there were this many people who were this obsessed with me. I think Linnell and Flans would most likely feel the same way. -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton Jonah, modern major general ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 21:39 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers >Just imagine how They must feel if They knew we dream about them. They would >feel so cool (which They are of course) Hrm, I dunno.. My chemistry teacher, Mrs. Arnold, recently told me she had a dream about me. Apparently I was living above a pizzaria and had a kid.. Anyway, my point is that it made me feel weird to know my teacher was dreaming about, so it would make me feel *incredibly* weird to know complete strangers were dreaming about me. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:40:35 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <334D9692.5A92@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell vlad_drakul scribbled: > I know why he's not a "ppl person..." > > I saw a record of a chat session on AOL (barf) with Linnell... he said it was 'cuz he's > always really exhausted after concerts, and you may be reassured to know that he > personally apologized to every person who he's crushed by blowing them off... > I don't think so...that may be true, but it doesn't explain why he would blow off my friend BEFORE the Boston show...you see, he was hanging out outside the club and my friend asked if he could take his picture and he said, "I'm not working now" It sounds much worse than it was...it sounds horrible...I've been holding this in and not posting it because I hadn't really found a way to explain it...he wasn't really being mean, (maybe he was, he has a right) he had a kind of smile on his face...it's not like he threw a bag over his head and ran away...he just said something along the lines of 'not right now' and then went inside...maybe he was still recovering from the in-store...though it was about 45 minutes to an hour before He's just seems to be the anti-rock star...I don't have a problem with it later-hosen Whim [ currently listening to:Piece of Dirt.They Might Be Giants ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 21:57 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape >I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Spirling Shape from the new >album. This is far fetched, but I always think of Tornado Chasers when I >hear it! Took me a while to figure out what you were saying, but I get it now! You mean, the tornadoes are the spiralling shape, and the tornado chasers are almost hypnotized by them, chasing them even though it's agains reason. "throwing all reason aside..." "Spiralling Shape" has always vaguely reminded me of fame. It's like, people always think it'd be great to be famous, and famous people always say it's not so great. "The spiralling shape is a fraud and a fake.." Yet that doesn't keep normal folks from trying to attain fame and fortune... Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:04:11 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970410220118_-1134917970@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: mp3 finder/sorry Sorry I didn't pay more attention to the thread when it was as hot as cards... BUT.. I neglected to copy the mp3 search engine URL... sooo.... could someone post that, privately of course... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970410220232.007829a8@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:02:32 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: The Big Big Whoredom I'm convinced that The Big Big Whoredom is about selling out... Is there anything from the Johns to back this up? I beleive this based on the lyrics, the lyric in Nightgown, and the statement made on my recently-obtained copy of the Frank O Toole Show (thanks Adam Tyner!). Also, I think Nightgown is probably NOT about drugs, but they want you to think it's about drugs (drug trip, it's not a drug trip, so you feel a bit insulted) I'm not one for long interps. Also, I have a request... does anyone have a good quality bootleg of a good concert in the Apollo 18 --> WDTSS? --> John Henry , not from after JH or before Apollo 18, and with horns please. I know this must be odd, but I wasn't a fan then, and I think it must've been a very cool time to go to a concert. (Would prefer WDTSS? --> JH) -ec ------------------------------ From: mjames@cs3100.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704110208.AA00439@cs3100.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: now that..kitten Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:08:32 -0400 (EDT) I Must say I love Now that I Have Everything. I haven't listened to a tape of it for a while but hearing it on T:TEY was just fantastic. The Kitten Intro is done first by Linnell (soft and quiet, ominous) and then No! They Might be Giants aren't Satanists is done by Flans, so they both do it. After having listened to this about 5,000,000,000+ times on the Frank O'Toole tape I was very happy to hear it on T:TEY! Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@cs3100.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704110211.AA00448@cs3100.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: frank Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:11:05 -0400 (EDT) Oh, I forgot to mention, why did they cut off the entire Dolores Cunningham interview? That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life!! Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970410220932.0078351c@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:09:32 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Live in New York After getting a little sampling from Live in NY on tape (thanks Adam Tyner!) I NEED to get the thing on CD. Does anyone know where I can obtain the 26-track Promo CD?? I tried that Mod Lang one, and they said they were out (?) PLeasepleasepleaseplease help. -ec ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:15:51 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: J&J on the list?/JL/backup singers Message-ID: One of my teachers had a dream about me, too. I was following her in my car to get to a party she was going to (I wasn't invited.). But it didn't make me feel uncomfortable. She's only in her twenties and she likes me. Just thought I'd share that. -Mark On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >Just imagine how They must feel if They knew we dream about them. They would > >feel so cool (which They are of course) > > Hrm, I dunno.. My chemistry teacher, Mrs. Arnold, recently told me > she had a dream about me. Apparently I was living above a pizzaria and > had a kid.. Anyway, my point is that it made me feel weird to know my > teacher was dreaming about, so it would make me feel *incredibly* weird to > know complete strangers were dreaming about me. > > Kirsten > -- > "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, > with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ > Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Then / Puff / List / 440 Message-ID: <19970410.195002.4622.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 19:49:33 EDT >puff >anyone else excited about the upcoming Mono Puff album? Hopefully it >will >contain only good songs (I love Mono Puff, but I still have to skip >Don'T I >Have The Right, and Don't Break The Heart) I personally love Don't Break The Heart, and Don't I Have The Right is pretty good, although I don't like the woman's voice very much. My two absolute fovrite songs on Unsuporvised are What Bothers The Spaceman and To Serve Mankind. Also, Hello, Hello is downright freaky. When I just sit down and listen to that song in the dark it is actually scary. Especially because of the weird noise every time he says "did you miss me" and at the end when the percussion suddenly gets louder. It almost sounds psychotic the way it's sort of angry but he's really calm singing it. And now for something completely different... Something that's really annoying about John Henry, Factory Showroom, and Mono Puff:Unsupervised is that the bass is too high. I have to turn the bass down practically all the way or I can't turn it up loud. This is weird because I play other music deafeningly loud, even stuff like Stone Temple Pilots and Rage Against The Machine (my musical taste is very widespread). Does anyone else experience this problem? -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:12:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell Message-ID: I watched this as it happened and my first reaction was "What a jerk!" but then I realized who I was talking about and smacked myself.Thats why I didn't take my picture of Them up to him to sign...he seemed really deep in conversation with the trumpet guy and I figured he'd say no anyways....but its okay..because I got the chance to be rejected by him AFTER the show. :) If you don't want to be harrassed by fans why bother going into the entertainment business? On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Whim wrote: > vlad_drakul scribbled: > > I know why he's not a "ppl person..." > > > > I saw a record of a chat session on AOL (barf) with Linnell... he said it was 'cuz he's > > always really exhausted after concerts, and you may be reassured to know that he > > personally apologized to every person who he's crushed by blowing them off... > > > I don't think so...that may be true, but it doesn't explain why he would > blow off my friend BEFORE the Boston show...you see, he was hanging out > outside the club and my friend asked if he could take his picture and he > said, "I'm not working now" > > It sounds much worse than it was...it sounds horrible...I've been > holding this in and not posting it because I hadn't really found a way > to explain it...he wasn't really being mean, (maybe he was, he has a > right) he had a kind of smile on his face...it's not like he threw a bag > over his head and ran away...he just said something along the lines of > 'not right now' and then went inside...maybe he was still recovering > from the in-store...though it was about 45 minutes to an hour before > > He's just seems to be the anti-rock star...I don't have a problem with > it > > later-hosen > Whim > [ currently listening to:Piece of Dirt.They Might Be Giants ] > http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:25:28 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape Message-ID: I think that all of our interpretations are valid, which is what make those kinds of songs so cool. They're vague just enough to be open to different meanings, kind of like "choose your own story" books. Another favorite of mine from the album is Pet Name. Any agreeances? (another nifty made-up word!) -Mark "You say I'm okay for a guy, but I can tell that you are lying." On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Spirling Shape from the new > >album. This is far fetched, but I always think of Tornado Chasers when I > >hear it! > > Took me a while to figure out what you were saying, but I get it > now! You mean, the tornadoes are the spiralling shape, and the tornado > chasers are almost hypnotized by them, chasing them even though it's > agains reason. "throwing all reason aside..." > > "Spiralling Shape" has always vaguely reminded me of fame. It's > like, people always think it'd be great to be famous, and famous people > always say it's not so great. "The spiralling shape is a fraud and a > fake.." Yet that doesn't keep normal folks from trying to attain fame and > fortune... > > Kirsten > -- > "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, > with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ > Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 22:41 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Puff Also, Hello, Hello is downright freaky. When I just sit >down and listen to that song in the dark it is actually scary. Especially >because of the weird noise every time he says "did you miss me" and at >the end when the percussion suddenly gets louder. It almost sounds >psychotic the way it's sort of angry but he's really calm singing it. I know what you mean - it's sort of menacing. Flans has such a cool voice... It reminds me of "Dirtbike," how he's singing quietly but you get the feeling he could burst out any second, like he's just barely controlling his emotions. Cool shtuff. Oh yeah, is there a Mono Puff web page with lyrics? Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:26:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970410232554_-2004029485@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: YAY! OMLT heaven We have reached the 100-order mark for OMLTs! Yaaaaaay! Right in the nick of time. Tomorrow (Friday), I will take all these lovely orders (and any I get before noon tomorrow from all you slackers who put it off) and go to the company, inquire about pricing and other stuff, and get back to you. Still haven't ordered a Official Mailing List T-shirt?! You slacker. Send mail to christy@tmbg.org and include --name/shipping address --number/size of shirts wanted --e-mail address "What's that design site again?" I hear you cry. It's #1 at http://omlt.home.ml.org. Yay. Also visit www.foo.org/jon/listskull.jpg to see the front pocket design. --Christy P.S. Chris Bongaarts: there! See, I *can* spell it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334DB157.5C43@ou.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:34:47 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: NON TMBG- HTML Hey all.. I'm really new to this HTML stuff..could someone tell me how to change my font color in text and links? It's black right now, and you can't read it because my background is so aggresive. Thanks, guys. Heather ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:39:19 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell Message-ID: I realize this is a highly debated subject, but I don't think that wanting to be harassed by fans should necessarily be part of wanting to be an entertainer. I think that people go into the business for money and fame, not to be harassed. Don't you think it gets old to them (especially social secludes like Linnell)? Damn. Now I feel like I'm giving a speech. The way I write makes everything seem like a serious subject! (or at least to me it does) -Mark On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Katherine Johnson wrote: > I watched this as it happened and my first reaction was "What a jerk!" > but then I realized who I was talking about and smacked myself.Thats why > I didn't take my picture of Them up to him to sign...he seemed really > deep in conversation with the trumpet guy and I figured he'd say no > anyways....but its okay..because I got the chance to be rejected by him > AFTER the show. :) If you don't want to be harrassed by fans why bother > going into the entertainment business? > > On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Whim wrote: > > > vlad_drakul scribbled: > > > I know why he's not a "ppl person..." > > > > > > I saw a record of a chat session on AOL (barf) with Linnell... he said it was 'cuz he's > > > always really exhausted after concerts, and you may be reassured to know that he > > > personally apologized to every person who he's crushed by blowing them off... > > > > > I don't think so...that may be true, but it doesn't explain why he would > > blow off my friend BEFORE the Boston show...you see, he was hanging out > > outside the club and my friend asked if he could take his picture and he > > said, "I'm not working now" > > > > It sounds much worse than it was...it sounds horrible...I've been > > holding this in and not posting it because I hadn't really found a way > > to explain it...he wasn't really being mean, (maybe he was, he has a > > right) he had a kind of smile on his face...it's not like he threw a bag > > over his head and ran away...he just said something along the lines of > > 'not right now' and then went inside...maybe he was still recovering > > from the in-store...though it was about 45 minutes to an hour before > > > > He's just seems to be the anti-rock star...I don't have a problem with > > it > > > > later-hosen > > Whim > > [ currently listening to:Piece of Dirt.They Might Be Giants ] > > http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:46:35 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Then / Puff / List / 440 Message-ID: Do you have to do that on anyone else's sterio, because to me the bass is perfect. Do you know what date the new Puff is supposed to come out? -Mark P.S. I think STP are awesome. It's very rare these days for a really popular band like them to keep a high level of musical quality in their albums after initial success. > And now for something completely different... > > Something that's really annoying about John Henry, Factory Showroom, and > Mono Puff:Unsupervised is that the bass is too high. I have to turn the > bass down practically all the way or I can't turn it up loud. This is > weird because I play other music deafeningly loud, even stuff like Stone > Temple Pilots and Rage Against The Machine (my musical taste is very > widespread). Does anyone else experience this problem? ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:48:20 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970410213108_184942575@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Unreleased songs Does anyone know any web sites where unreleased TMBG songs that can be dowloading are? Where I can I find that Certain People RA file? Maniac http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334DE232.3B75@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 00:03:14 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell! Space Ghost! Kittens! SGMH! Weep Day! Moderation! Viva! > WEEP DAY- The Weep Day interp was cool! I sung this song for like three > days straight after receiving Then. Me too! Did anyone else have this same experience? I got that and also "Fake out in Buenos Aries" stuck in my head for days after recieving Then. Is it just me, or is alot of the unreleased stuff REALLY wierd from Then? Not that Im complaining, I really like the extra insanity, but I mean, the "'85 Radio Special Thank you" is just so delightfully odd. Did They lose Their "wierdness" or are They just hiding it to sell albums? Maybe they save it for Dial-A-Song. Simply Thinking- Kevin "Too lazy to make a sig file" McGuire ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704110318.WAA16910@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Where Your Eyes Don't Go Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:08:58 -0500 Erm... I've not been one to find out every meaning of every verse of every song, not have I been one to interpret beyond the title, but who the hay is Curtis Blow?!?! ..from someone (me) who didn't know Jim Beam was a liquor... Mike "I could talk like Curtis Blow, and Sing Like a Girl!" Leffel I'd rather They be rude-ish and odd, yet pummel out great songs, then 'user friendly and loving', and not put out anything worth listening to. Besides, if they were Fame Hogs, they would be as annoying as Show Me The Money is as a catch phrrase, or Macarena is as a song. Thank God they don't do movie soundtracks like mad! (Don't get me wrong.. Spiraling shape worked fine!) Mighty Ducks 4! They Might Be Back! NOOOOOOOOOO! Whatever keeps em 'good' and away from the 'idiot public', is fine for me. Besides, genius is usually bitchy and withdrawn! :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:10:13 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Doherty Message-Id: > > The new drummer is Dan Hickey, who seems to be a pleasant fellow. > Brian is out there somewhere. It may be up to you to find him. > you bet it is! i think anastasia is in on it with me. anyone else wanna join? if anyone has 411 on Brian's whereabouts, please report it directly to the Center for Brian Doherty Sightings. (since the center operates out of Kansas, i'm gonna need all the help i can get!) jillian "keeping my eyes peeled" buser ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* my name is jillian i study the earth i need a job woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, Date: Fri, 11 Apr 97 21:54:04 PDT | He did the same thing at the Seattle show. Course, I WAS holding a | broom, | which would explain the funny look that came over his face every time he | looked at me... *snicker* | | >>Linnell had | >>that "Get me the hell out of here before I explode" look on his face. | >That's sorta the look he gave us at the concert... | | Now see, at the March Seattle show, he was actually smiling for much | of the concert. Which was a total shock, because it's the only time | I've ever seen him smile. Ever. It was kool to see. (: | Actually, it was more like a smirk, like a "What the hell is that guy doing in the front row holding a broom?" smirk. :) Or he was just home from the honeymoon, and was smiling cuz' he just got laid. Flansburgh not only gave me eye contact, but telepathically professed his love to me. Well, in my dreams at least. :) Whatever... Michelle ------------------------------ From: "Tom McGonegal" Message-Id: <85256476.00186E5B.00@njros1ngw04.metro.prudential.com> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 00:39:54 -0400 Subject: TMBG: T.M.B.G.: The Movie - Friday and Saturday Good day all! (A special hello to the tenacious Australian crowd. You must be a patient bunch!) I'm a 29-yr-old ten-year fan and a long-time part-time list lurker. I don't think I've ever posted, and I hope I'm doing it correctly now. I wanted to point out that the MOVIE called "They Might Be Giants" is listed here in New Jersey TV listings on the "Encore" channel this Friday at 7:15pm and Saturday at 3:15pm, and is 1 hr 45 mins long. I saw this film about 8 years ago. It's nothing wonderful, but it's good to have seen it, you know? Here's the description in my TV listing: They Might Be Giants *** (three stars) ('71) George C. Scott, Joanne Woodward. A psychiatrist named Watson plays along with her patient, an ex-judge who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes. "G" I don't get "Encore," but I hope to find someone who does so I can have this on tape. Good luck to all of us. Sorry if someone's already posted this info; as I said, I'm a part-timer. Peace. Tom. ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 01:11:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970411011102_-966616374@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG related injuries and TMBG AOL forum >Yeah, anyway, I felt connected to the band. Especially when >Flansburgh almost pushed a speaker onto my head when he was trying to >adjust it...... :) I must admit, I felt a hightened sense of connection to the band during their string of shows at the Mercury Lounge (March 1996), because Linnell nearly poked out my eye with the tip of his mic stand during every early show. Yup, there's nothing like the threat of personal injury by a John to make a girl feel young again. Now, I've been told that Linnell can't see past the tip of his mic stand... I wonder if that has any connection to his occasional desire to make sure that some fans can't see because of the tip of his mic stand. Coincidentally, at the last early ML show, I actually did have an eye injury, though it was completely unrelated to TMBG. Well, except for the fact the doctor who treated it was also a TMBG fan. There is already a forum for TMBG discussion on AOL, in the Music Message Center, Alternative Bands (P - Z). Now, granted, this isn't as big as the Grateful Dead forum, but let's face the cold, hard facts... There are a lot more Grateful Dead fans in the world than there are TMBG fans. Sad, but true. Still, we in Cowtown, as the TMBG folder and chat room are known, love our little home. Cowtown FAQ and homepage: http://members.aol.com/mikewyz/cowtown/index.html Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: TMBG: Baltimore Shows Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 01:13:43 -0400 Message-Id: <199704110514.3659400@rma.edu> Can someone please give me info on the Baltimore shows. (1)Where do you get and how much are tickets? And (2) What are the showtimes. OH! And (3) Is the show at the college open to everyone? --Tim Clark Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334DCFC4.61DD@ou.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:44:36 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: KU and me Hey all! Should we be getting a running total on who is going or attempting to go..to the KU concert? Okay.. the real reason I'm writing in.. I just finished the prototype of my web page! One of the links isn't working yet.. but still.. check it out, please? I need feedback.. especially for slower modems and stuff.. and hey.. how do I add other pages within my page? www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/8982/ Thanks for your patience! Heather O;) ------------------------------ From: dream@student.adelaide.edu.au Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:26:34 +0930 (CST) Subject: TMBG: tmbg on JJJ Message-ID: any aussies on the list - They are playing on triple J's Live at the Wireless this Monday night (8:30). For anyone who does not listen to this radio station, i ask the question if this upcoming event is not enough to convert you I dont suppose they included the horn section that are now included in the American shows - i assume They didnt include that in any of the australian shows Don't forget this session will be repeated at 8.30pm the following Sunday ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-100 ******************************