Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-101 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 101 Saturday, 12 April 1997 Today's Topics: NON-TMBG: Full HORDE line-up and tentative dates! =) Re: TMBG: Where Your Eyes Dont Go-Kurtis Blow Re: TMBG: Where Your Eyes Dont Go-Kurtis Blow TMBG: Attention Erik Chuss =) Re: NON-TMBG: Full HORDE line-up and tentative dates! =) TMBG: Brian, Sorry TMBG: TMBG Stuff TMBG: Acronyms TMBG: Beez\SEXXY single\Unforgotten\fame & money NON-TMBG: money and fame TMBG: Weep Day and Become a Robot!!! Re: TMBG: Unreleased songs Re: TMBG: Weep Day and Become a Robot!!! TMBG: Fake out in Buenos Aires TMBG: understanding lyrics... Re: TMBG: Weep Day and Become a Robot!!! Re: TMBG: Weep Day and Become a Robot!!! TMBG: my roommate's dream TMBG: Huh? Re: TMBG: KU and me TMBG: Weird TMBG: Hello, Hello... TMBG: Sorry! :) One more post! :) :) Re: TMBG: Linnell Re: TMBG: Beez\SEXXY single\Unforgotten\fame & money TMBG: TMBG : concert preview Re: TMBG: Beez\SEXXY single\Unforgotten\fame & money TMBG: T:TEY / Alan Sherman Re: NON-TMBG: money and fame RE: NON-TMBG: Full HORDE line-up and tentative dates! =) TMBG: tmbg: horde... RE: TMBG: tmbg: horde... TMBG: So sorry... TMBG: Re: Bass too high? Re: TMBG: KU and me Re: TMBG: TMBG : concert preview Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 02:19:19 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: NON-TMBG: Full HORDE line-up and tentative dates! =) Message-id: <01IHK9GTIV0Y9D7B2S@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGer's! I have some more HORDE info for everyone interested in seeing Soul Coughing, Ben Folds Five, or any of the other bands this summer! Well, it hasn't been *officially* announced yet, but we can pretty much guarentee that the line-up will be as follows: Neil Young Ben Folds Five Soul Coughing Widespread Panic Morphine Wilco Beck Leftover Salmon Son Volt Pavement Col. Bruce and the Fiji Mariners Big Head Todd and the Monsters The Wallflowers *All* of these bands might not necessarily be playing at *every* stop, but that's basically what we can expect to see! Actually, I was surprised to see Morphine and Beck etc. simply because of their non-taping policies. However, I'm sure that they'll make exceptions! Also, here are a few tentative dates and *really* tentative venues if anyone's interested! The only definitely date: July 12th Seattle (The Gorge) July 27/28 Detroit (Pine Knob) August 8 Mansfield, MA (Great Woods) And I think that's everything (at least for now!) I will definitely keep all of the TMBGer's posted as I find out new information, so keep your eyes open! Have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:29:38 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: Re: TMBG: Where Your Eyes Dont Go-Kurtis Blow >the title, but who the hay is Curtis Blow?!?! Kurtis Blow is a rapper from NYC who was one of the most popular rappers in the early '80's before Run-DMC took over. Now he hosts an old school hip-hop radio show on Power 106 in L.A. and recently a documentary film that he worked on called "Rhyme and Reason" came out. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:30:51 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: Re: TMBG: Where Your Eyes Dont Go-Kurtis Blow >the title, but who the hay is Curtis Blow?!?! Kurtis Blow is a rapper from NYC who was one of the most popular rappers in the early '80's before Run-DMC took over. Now he hosts an old school hip-hop radio show on Power 106 in L.A. and recently a documentary film that he worked on called "Rhyme and Reason" came out. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 02:20:43 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: Attention Erik Chuss =) Message-id: <01IHK9SIG3UW9D7B2S@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Sorry to waste bandwidth, guys and gals, but can Erik Chuss please email me? Thanks! =) sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 02:48:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Full HORDE line-up and tentative dates! =) Message-ID: > I have some more HORDE info for everyone interested in seeing > Soul Coughing, Ben Folds Five, or any of the other bands this summer! > Well, it hasn't been *officially* announced yet, but we can pretty much > guarentee that the line-up will be as follows: > > Neil Young > Ben Folds Five > Soul Coughing > Widespread Panic > Morphine > Wilco > Beck > Leftover Salmon > Son Volt > Pavement > Col. Bruce and the Fiji Mariners > Big Head Todd and the Monsters > The Wallflowers AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Ben Folds Five, Soul Coughing, Pavement, Morphine, Wilco, and Sun Volt on the same tour???? I must go!! I know, they're not all going to be on the tour at the same time, but nevertheless, that's great news. Thanks for posting this, Cortney. You just made me one happy recently-failed-my-calc-exam student. **kiss, kiss**. (uh, sorry....getting carried away). By the way, if Morphine comes to your town, SEE THEM!! They are amazing, and very funny, live. Seriously, go. Even if you've never heard them. Oh yeah, and the Ben Folds Five is amazing live as well (speaking of which...making the trek to Cleveland, Evan? just wondering...). Okay, I'm sorry. Just excited. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Without you now I'm wandering, sulking, secretly afraid But in your grasp the fears don't last, though some of them have stayed" --Phish, "Sample in a Jar" ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 04:21:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970411042100_1650026223@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Brian, Sorry Hello 41- Brian- Well after the New Haven show on 2/20, I asked Grahm what happened to Brian. Grahm said that Brian kinda burnt out, and there are no bad vibes between him and the band. I can imagine that, because TMBG is always doing something, being a drummer seems pretty tough, and Brian plays quickly and well. He's probably still asleep. I did see his last show, along with everyone in St. Louis, and that's neat. I wonder if that's what happened to John Feinberg. I don't know if it's common knowledge what happened to him, but I was wondering. I want to appologize for the fact that for some odd reason, my post yesterday posted twice. I'm not sure why, but I'm still sorry. Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704110828.RAA26061@mita1.cc.mita.keio.ac.jp> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Stuff Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:28:54 +0900 From: NAOYUKI ISOGAI Hello There! To begin with, I'm sorry for those who emailed me about the TMBG shows I had attended in Tokyo, but I've been too busy to respond to you all. However, please remember I'm really glad to have heard from you guys. BTW, is there anyone who is willing to make a dub of ALL the following stuff for me? In return, I'd be happy to get some Japanese stuff for him or her. Please just email me privately... Kit Kat Acoustic Break, Show #1 [radio show, 1997] Dr. Spock's Back-Up Band [bootleg, 1993] Factory Showroom Studio Sessions I'm waiting for a good reply!!! ---- NaoyuKing, the faculty "I am a snake head of Economics, KEIO Univ. eating the head on the opposite side..." E-mail:b9400863@mita.cc.keio.ac.jp ------------------------------ Date: 11 Apr 1997 13:26:03 GMT From: "Royce M Lee" Message-ID: <01bc45c2$ebbf8360$LocalHost@mobile> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Acronyms For a list of people where everyone seems to know the meaning of defenestration, it surprises me that no one knows the meaning of the word "acronym". Look it up, people! -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@b022.aone.net.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9704111404.AA17891@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:47:50 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Beez\SEXXY single\Unforgotten\fame & money >Sorry, it's just an expression. It's a hokey, old-fashioned, nearly >archaic expression (sort of like "Jumpin' Jehosophat!" or something), but I >don't think we can chalk it up to our They-friend at NBC. heavens to betsy! you're absolutely right! >So anyway, I got mp3s for the SEXXY single, and man, that's a >pretty weird single. The stores in my area didn't have it (how much does >Elektra suck now? I've seen all of the other Elektra singles around here, but >we wouldn't want people buying SEXXY, would we?), so I haven't gotten it yet. Round here we had a whole freakin bunch of SEXXY singles...like some stores had 15 copies up on shelves...seems a bit steep for a tmbg single, but it was pretty cool anyway, although most of 'em were the 3-song singles, so that sucks... >Unforgotten: what a weird song this is. Frank Black >meets Aerosmith and the Wallflowers. Seriously odd that TMBG would do a song >that sounds like this one does That's odd, I don't see it really anything like any of those guys...it feels much more traditional than most of tmbg's stuff, sorta soft-rock almost, a bit countryish as well. > If you don't want to be harrassed by fans why bother >going into the entertainment business? Perhaps because you love music, want to share your talent with others and wouldn't mind making an honest buck off it? > I think that people go into the business for money and >fame, not to be harassed. Don't you think it gets old to them (especially >social secludes like Linnell)? I truly don't think Flans and Linnell got into the music industry for money and fame...most anyone in the industry is after money, probably, I mean, if they weren't they'd just do it for free, but fame? Not Tmbg at least, maybe some bands are after fame, but I hardly think our boys can be accused of that... Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704111403.AA13469@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: money and fame Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:03:29 -0400 (EDT) > I realize this is a highly debated subject, but I don't think that > wanting to be harassed by fans should necessarily be part of wanting to > be an entertainer. I think that people go into the business for money and > fame, not to be harassed. Don't you think it gets old to them (especially > social secludes like Linnell)? Damn. Now I feel like I'm giving a speech. > The way I write makes everything seem like a serious subject! (or at > least to me it does) > -Mark Come on now. Do you actually think a public figure is naive enough to think they will never be harrassed or at least think there is a possibility of harrassment along the line? If you have a lot of money and especially a lot of fame you will be in the public eye. Some people will love you, some will hate you, but whatever the case, the more famous you are the more you will be known and the more chances you will be mobbed, harrassed, stalked, whatever. Some celebrities have it worse than others but I'm pretty sure just about all of them get it. Sure, initially they might think that it won't be that bad, or they are just too eager to make the money, get the fame, or just follow their dream, but whatever the case it does happen quite a bit, just look at any of those tabloids. Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:29:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970411102921_1055609743@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Weep Day and Become a Robot!!! << T- Who is now a hermit in a cave... >> Isn't this "Who is now a buddhist in a cave"? That's what the lyrics at tmbg.org say, and it sure sounds like "buddhist" to me. I mean, "hermit" does make a lot more sense, it just sounds like there's an "oo" sound in there, not an "err" sound. (Confused? Join the club!) Also, the Then booklet has a line in Become a Robot listed as "Here's hoping you don't harbor a wishnik..." My deranged ear hears it as "harbor a death wish," and tmbg.org says it's "penguin", which could also be true. One thing I am _sure_ of is that he isn't saying "wishnik", unless he's pronouncing it as "weth-nish." Anyone else experience this phenomenon? (doo-doo, da-doo doo! Remember Sandra Bullock as the psychiatrist on Muppets Tonight?) -Geoff "Hoping he doesn't become a robot, but it may be too late" Sondergard ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:45:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970411104348_-534287718@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Unreleased songs I have the Certain People RA file at my site , http://members.aol.com/kamesennin/tmbg.htm it's got a real nifty image map. Check it out! Also, when I get L3Enc to work, I'm going to encode the 7 unreleased songs from TCFSSessions as MP3's. Does anyone on the list have an ftp site that I could upoad them to? (AOL only gives me 2 megs of space, hence the Real-Audioness of the songs on my page, not to mention being bastardly slow...) P.S. Could someone privately mail me about how to use l3enc? Everything I try with it gives me the same error message... -Geoff aka Kame ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704111454.JAA124450@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 09:49:36 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Weep Day and Become a Robot!!! sounds like penquin to me, i never pay attention to lyrics in liners, like to interpret them for myself. geoff (mcnulty) >Also, the Then booklet has a line in Become a Robot listed as "Here's hoping >you don't harbor a wishnik..." My deranged ear hears it as "harbor a death >wish," and tmbg.org says it's "penguin", which could also be true. One thing >I am _sure_ of is that he isn't saying "wishnik", unless he's pronouncing it >as "weth-nish." Anyone else experience this phenomenon? (doo-doo, da-doo >doo! Remember Sandra Bullock as the psychiatrist on Muppets Tonight?) > >-Geoff "Hoping he doesn't become a robot, but it may be too late" Sondergard > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:56:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: Fake out in Buenos Aires Message-ID: Does the fast laugh at the end of Fake Out remind anyone else of "Any Resemblance is Purely Coincidental" by Charles Dogde? (You know, the one with Caruso's voice and a live pianist) I just realized what that part reminded me of, I knew it was something. -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704111500.KAA57170@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 09:55:42 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: understanding lyrics... also, besides the penguin thing in robot, i never found out that the lyrics to "the day" were "and bi-planes bombed with fluffy pillows" until last month, when i finally broke down and read the liner notes. I've been singing "and bi-planes bombed with love everywhere" for the past eight years. and the only rason that i looked at the lyrics? because, after eight years, i finally got to the point where i looked up the lyrics to the "soifyoulikeabandwithachicksinger" part of rhythm section. i've never been able to figure out the lyrics, and now i finally know. problem solved, although i am having a hard time getting the exact rhythm placement down on the vocals of that part. currently listening to nothing because my roommate is asleep and i'm running out of the door, geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | Although we have never been seen Entertainment Writer | in the same place at the same time, Madison Student Radio | I can assure you that myself and Coolio gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | are definitely not the same person. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Visit My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:20:53 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Weep Day and Become a Robot!!! Message-ID: On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 Kamesennin@aol.com wrote: > Isn't this "Who is now a buddhist in a cave"? That's what the lyrics at > tmbg.org say, and it sure sounds like "buddhist" to me. I mean, "hermit" does > make a lot more sense, it just sounds like there's an "oo" sound in there, > not an "err" sound. (Confused? Join the club!) The booklet says "hermit," but I'm pretty sure he says buddhist. Of course, I've been pretty sure of other lyrics. I could still *swear* they say "The sad little cross-eyed bear." *sigh* > Also, the Then booklet has a line in Become a Robot listed as "Here's hoping > you don't harbor a wishnik..." My deranged ear hears it as "harbor a death > wish," and tmbg.org says it's "penguin", which could also be true. One thing > I am _sure_ of is that he isn't saying "wishnik", unless he's pronouncing it > as "weth-nish." Anyone else experience this phenomenon? (doo-doo, da-doo > doo! Remember Sandra Bullock as the psychiatrist on Muppets Tonight?) I hear "death wish," too. I hadn't read the tmbg.org lyrics, so I hadn't thought of "penguin," but if that's what it really is, I don't think I'll ever stop laughing. :) PHENOMENA! doo-doo, da-doo do -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ And the teenage boys did holler and the teenage girls did faint When they saw the bone protruding from the varnish and the paint... -Brian Dewan --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:14:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Weep Day and Become a Robot!!! Message-ID: To me, it definitely sounds like the first time in Become a Robot, he says harbor a penguin, but the second time sounds like 'death wish' now that I listened for that. And I am pretty sure Buddhist is the word in Weep Day, although I never heard the 'that person took a train to Africa' line correctly. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:33:17 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: my roommate's dream Message-ID: Sadly, *I* still haven't had a good TMBG dream. But my roommate had a strange one the other night, so I'll share it with all y'all. (If I can remember what she said.) We were at the March concert at the Showbox here in Seattle. I had my sign with me--the one that had to do with JKP and I didn't expect anyone but the band to understand--except this sign was much much bigger than it had been in real life. The band started playing and it took both of us to unroll the sign and hold it up. When we got it unrolled, They looked at it and just stopped playing. There was this dead silence throughout the room as the whole band just stood there and stared at it with weird looks on their faces. We quickly rolled the poster up again as best we could, and I put it back in my pocket (I have no idea how such a big sign could fit in my pocket, but whatever). Then they just started playing again. To say the least, we were a little shaken by their reaction. After the show, a very large, very scary security guard came up to us and asked if we were the ones with the sign. We said yes, and he said to go with him. We kept asking, "Are we going to jail? Oh no, are we going to jail?" but he didn't really answer until we got backstage and he said, "No, but you have to explain the sign to the band." "Yay!" we said. I guess that was about the end of the dream. I hope you enjoyed it. Why can't I have a They dream? WHY??? -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ And the teenage boys did holler and the teenage girls did faint When they saw the bone protruding from the varnish and the paint... -Brian Dewan --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334E9ACB.7406@mail.lcu.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 13:10:51 -0700 From: ECKM1657 Organization: Lubbock Christian University Subject: TMBG: Huh? Could someone Emmel (that's short for e-mail) me and tell me how to get the DIgest?? ECKM1657@lcu.edu Just wondering. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 13:47:49 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: TMBG: KU and me Message-Id: On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Heather Tinkler wrote: > Hey all! > Should we be getting a running total on who is going or > attempting to go..to the KU concert? > yeahyeah. good idea. since i'm a student here at KU, you can bet i'll be there. if y'all wanna mail me and tell me when you're coming and where you're gonna be, i can figure out a good meeting spot. i can also give directions, etc if y'all need 'em. i can also make a mailing list, so we don't have to keep posting and bothering these nice people. it was announced officially in the paper today: TMBG, Authur Dodge and the Horsefethers, the Glitterkicks, Norman 360 (an *excellent* local band), The Gravel Pit, and the winner of the Farmer's Ball (tba later). The show starts at noon and will last til 6ish. no tix are needed, open to the public. any other questions? send 'em my way. i'll try to pry myself from my search of Brian Doherty to answer them. jillian ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* my name is jillian i study the earth i need a job woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970411145117.00791a30@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:51:17 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Weird >Is it just me, or is alot of the unreleased stuff REALLY wierd from >Then? Not that Im complaining, I really like the extra insanity, but I >mean, the "'85 Radio Special Thank you" is just so delightfully odd. >Did They lose Their "wierdness" or are They just hiding it to sell >albums? Well... I recently got a copy of the Frank o Toole Show tape, and if you think the unreleased stuff on Then: is odd, you should hear this! If the Frank tape got out to mainstream people, They would not be taken as seriously as they are now (although They would be more popular, as "that funny band") The Frank oToole show is hillarious, and I think They really have tried to be more mainstream, while still keeping off to the side a little. I would like them a lot more, for instance , if they had little snippets of conversation between tracks (a la BF5).... They are hilarious. -ec *** The Amazing One-Line Sig: http://center.base.org *** ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:04:36 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970411150432_808879212@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Hello, Hello... ...it's good to be back it's good to be back.. Okay well. I wasn't gone. Sorry if i bring up any long dropped topics. I've unintentionally neglected the list for 2 weeks.. Yeah, I'm a procrastinator. >Also, I discovered something really cool with then! I don't >know if this works for other cd's but If I pull my headphones >out of the jack a little bt, some of the tracks disapeer, and I >often hear an a cappela thing. Try this with they'll need a >crane to hear how wacky the harmony is. I LOVE this little trick. I've been doing this for years. For TMBG: "Greek #3" is the best. You can actually hear a slittle scuffling or something, papers? Lyrics perhaps? :D I swear Flans harmonizes on the last verse in the song.. Either that or I'm losing my "Who Sings What" ability... :\ >While it's true that I've never seen a Promo only CD in Tower >records (not that I go there very often) they are rather >common. If you go to any used CD store you will see quite a >few of them, I must have about 30-40 alone myself. What???? :o I go to used-cd stores all the time, and I've *never* seen a promo cd for sale! Huh! >And the irrepressible KidInThHall wrote: >>I love the World's Addy Remix. >Glad to see that I am not the only one. Now, if I can just find >someone who likes the "Devil" remix, I can be totally happy. I like that one too! :) >Linnellgirl was short and blonde; Heh heh, I'm actually short and brunette. >; I'm enjoying the "fame" of being the only person at my high >school to have heard of TMBG. Heh heh, I thought I was; until it turns out that this kid I've known is also a Giant-head! We both had TMBG shirts on yesterday - I'm sure there were a few confused Glorias in our classes.. >I think that would make an interesting song. A song about a >missing puzzle piece all alone under the sofa with the >remote, keys, and change. Hmm, sounds like a "Fingertips". :) >but all they can say is, "It's Children's music" or "It's country >music". WHAT is it with these people??? How do they get country music from TMBG? Okay, Cowtown and Counterfeit Faker border on it I suppose, but if you ask a country fan what they think about it, they'd probably ask you what the hell you mean. How... I just don't get it. >Her: "Is this their son?" >me (in a normal voice): "No, I'm their daughter!" I got that once - only it wasd one of my mom's friends asking me! :\ > No Doubt's older, inde releases were ska. They had a >quasi-tradition ska feel to them. I'm no ska fan, in fact I always put on a cd when they have that "ska hour" on the radio from that high school (nevermind...) - it makes me nauseous ("I love bumblebee bumblebee tuuuna" - STOP! I'm gonna hurl!). BUT - I love No Doubt's old self-titled. With the red cover. If you like John Henry (or any mini-impromptu BNL concert medleys), you'll also like it. Um, wow... so many digests.... I just better have a good TMBG dream in return for this.. ;) sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:05:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970411150456_-799595194@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Sorry! :) One more post! :) :) >Besides, it is against natural sane behavior to read stuff >about yourself like the stuff we've posted. I think it Might >drive Them stark raving mad! :-) Ooooooh!!! :D I get to quote Dave Foley here! :D Okay, he was on Leno last year, and said this: "I made the mistake of buying a modem for my computer just to see how angry my fans are at me." (said with a smile of course - and btw, this was around the time of Dave rumours, so.. but you get the idea!) > I don't know if there are any Clash fans on here, but another >well-known musical Ginsberg collaboration is the song >"Ghetto Defendant" on the album "Combat Rock" where not >only did Ginsberg write some lyrics for the song, but he did >the spoken recitation of them also in the background of the >song... here are some of them officially: > > do the worm on acropolis > slamdance the cosmopolis > enlighten the populous Really? Eeeeee I love that cd! In fact I'm gonna go listen to it right now. Hey - anyone suggest another Clash cd for me to get (by email puhlease)? I only have Combat Rock - and I love it so. "Smooooooking in the daaark cinemaaaa..." >I never have. Also, I've only heard Them on the radio twice in >my life. I hear them all the time on the radio. In fact I had SEXXY in my head all day yesterday because it was on as I got to school. >Did anyone else laugh when they read in the Then liner notes >where the Johns say that Nightgown was named after a child's >drawing?!! I have 'The Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon' kids' book on the table in my room... I borrowed it from the library. :) I was quite amused to see that there was no weird (or at least obvious) metaphor. Just a nightgown for the sullen moon! :D >I feel like Spiralling Shape might be about drugs too! Y'ever seen Brain Candy? :) You know it's on the soundtrack -- *Well* for the benefit of you who *haven't* - the movie is about a prozac-like drug. SO yes, SS is indeed about- *a* drug (not an illegal one though ;)). >Gleemonex! Makes it feel like its 72 degrees in your head all >the time! >(All apologies to KdsInThHal!) Why, cause you beat me? :) >MonoPuff question: I was admiring the MonoPuff case the >other day and realized I don't know who is who on the cover. I >know it's Flans on the left, but who is on the right and the >top? I don't know, but to me - all I can think of is Linnell (though why would it be??)... If it isn't him, isn't the resemblance striking? :D >Hey now!! I know I am not the only art major here! Even if not >majors, I'm sure there are literally gobs of people that "can >appreciate great art".... I plan to major in art... More likely computer art though, *if* my school could get some decent friggin classes and get their sunken heads out of the '60's! :) (speakin' of art - that's my Linnell drawing on the tmbg.org photo page ). >Our NBC friends have struck again. About one minute ago on >Newsradio, the boss whose name I don't know was talking >about having a bee in his bonnet!!!! I'd never heard this >expression before Birdhouse.... Is it very common? Or has our >They-friend at NBC been writing again???? D'oh! :( I began to read this hoping it was gonna be a "Newsradio is a kick-ass show! That Dave Foley is the best actor I've ever seen!" but sadly.... the bee/bonnet thing is very common. Where do you think TMBG pulled it from. List Moderation: I know this has been said a million times, but - if you don't like it, skip it. That's all there is to it! Listers - if it says "Manson" in the subject, DELETE it. Fellow digesters - SCROLL! I don't think it's that difficult. I've been doing it. And if someone is offensive - private email. Off topic - private mail. Simple. But - one thing that could help --- here's a quoting tip. PLEASE delete irrelevant things to your message! Your quoting should never be longer than your message itself. No one likes that... Why do you really need to quote someone's sig either?? Doesn't take that much effort... What's with all the Viva bashing? :( I love it. I especially liked the TMBG parts. ;) Hee hee - on the credits, that one part where Linny was on the right side of the credits, and almost started into the camera...I think I wore out my pause button... hm..Too bad furggin Penn Gilette had to spoil the moment by talking about "Dream On" and "Rolls in the hay"... :P And you guys are disappointed Graham got on camera? :O He's a coooooool guy! Guess you've never met him... >m2 >has anyone seen a They video on M2 Sample Hour? Yah! :) I've only seen Don't Let's Start on it, but I've heard reports of Birdhouse, and others..I'm just overly ecstatic for the Odds though for getting their video played on it so much!!! :D Yay! :) >And, um... I read something about a list of frequent posters... >Oh! am I on it *blush*??? someon could forward it to me, so I >don't have to get off my ass and go to the tmbg.org digest >archives... (or you could just say "what the hell are you >talking about?") Um... huh? I missed it too....What is this? >I have but one small question. Does anyone out there >have any idea where I could get some TMBG posters? try emailing "muspost@aol.com". I don't know if it's a scam or not; they say to send a dollar for a catalogue, and I did that earlier this week.. But they say they have TMBG posters, so I think a dollar is worth it to find out. :) > Still, we in Cowtown, as the TMBG folder and chat room are >known, love our little home. I just KNOW I'm gonna get beat over the head for this, but.... I don't really like the folder. I don't know why, but I just, don't. And the cowtown chats -if I even go anymore... Seem to be kind of pointless for me. Again, I'm stunned as to why I should think so, but anyways... >Of the two, I like Linnell the best. He is my idol, I love his >music and his style. But has anyone noticed that he just >doesn't seem to be a "people person"? I gotsta defend monsieur Linnell here. I am also that way. Very much of a loner who hates crowds, people (in general, you know what I mean..) so! It's pretty much a result of being shooed out of "cliques" in elementary school. Uh..in global today we had to work in groups - I ignored that and did the whole thing myself. So. Don't be upset with him because he may not want to give you an autograph. I'm NOT social in person to people I don't know, and I could just imagine adding fame ontop of that. I admit I was stunned reading the airplane thing - it's *so* me. But enough about me... :) TMBG dreams: I love them! You guys are so cool! Keep 'em coming! :D 82 days till her 3rd Barenaked Ladies concert, sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "They say senior citizens dunno how to rock. Wull I say they're wrong!" - Johnny Blue Jeans, VV ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704111902.MAA11037@f42.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:02:44 PDT >> Or hell, maybe the man's >>just shy. > >I know why he's not a "ppl person..." > >I saw a record of a chat session on AOL (barf) with Linnell... he said it was 'cuz he's >always really exhausted after concerts, and you may be reassured to know that he >personally apologized to every person who he's crushed by blowing them off... Which goes to show that he's always well-intentioned. And kind. Just tired and very human. Mouse Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ###################################################### "Frankenstein and Dracula have nothing on you Jekyll and Hyde join the back of the queue The female of the species..." in this song was modeled on me. Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 11 Apr 97 15:45 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Beez\SEXXY single\Unforgotten\fame & money >>Unforgotten: what a weird song this is. Frank Black >>meets Aerosmith and the Wallflowers. Seriously odd that TMBG would do a song >>that sounds like this one does > >That's odd, I don't see it really anything like any of those guys...it feels >much more traditional than most of tmbg's stuff, sorta soft-rock almost, a >bit countryish as well. It seemed more like an old-style ballad to me, almost. I really, really like it. :) It's great to sing along to.. "Unforgotten...." Kirsten (wandering off humming) -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:51:57 -0400 (EDT) From: MIKE Subject: TMBG: TMBG : concert preview Message-ID: Here's the really pathetic and horrible preview that FSU's newspaper put out about this sunday's concert...Im pretty sure you'll agree with me--it seems like the guy who wrote this is in 5th grade or spent about two minutes writing it : What began as a two man "band" with john flansburgh and john linnell, has in the last few years transformed into a full fledged band with seven members total. This band is THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. There is no other band like them. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS can hardly be described with words. They were, however, a lot more interesting to listen to when they only had two members, as opposed to the full band they have now. The band thing is still relatively new and they've only recorded two albums with the new members : JOHN HENRY and FACTORY SHOWROOM. Their songs are very strange and extremely funny at times. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS are just a bizarre band but not freakish in any way. shoehorn with teeth mike ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:08:18 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Beez\SEXXY single\Unforgotten\fame & money Message-ID: You said I shouldn't accuse the Giants of getting into the entertainment business for money, but I wasn't really talking abou Them. I was talking about people in general. And besides, I'm sure They enjoy the money now that They've got it. -Mark ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:08:37 +0100 (BST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970411051421.225f2c46@popmail.dircon.co.uk> From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: T:TEY / Alan Sherman TMBG: Well - I must admit that I LURVE Weep Day and Now That I Have Everything..... The rest will probably grow on me (except School Kids....)... Non-TMBG: Alan Sherman Anyone heard of him? Okay - I've only got e-mail access at the moment so I can't check the web.... He's a (Jewish?) comedian who writes humerous lyrics to popular pieces. His most memorable was to Ponchielli's (sp?) Dance Of The Hours that went: "Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda, Here I am at, Camp Grenada. Camp is very entertaining, And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining......." Anyways - I've searched London inside-out for his CDs and can't find squat so I wondered if anyone in the US knows if there are any CDs availbale across the pond? Please let me know by private e-mail Thanx of the many variety. Joe xox (Currently in the CD: Ponchielli's Dance Of The Hours) -- * Kidnapper Home Page: http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~joekeith/kidnapper.html * Mouthfull Home Page: http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~joekeith/mouthfull.html * nightnurse Home Page: http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~joekeith/nightnurse.html * Joe's (sadly neglected) Home Page: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ * * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ******************************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:12:55 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: money and fame Message-ID: I know all that you told me. However, I was responding to a statement refering to harassment as one of the points of going into the entertainment business. I know perfectly well that no successful entertainer is exempt from being harassed to an extent (once again, it depends on who you are). -Mark On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > I realize this is a highly debated subject, but I don't think that > > wanting to be harassed by fans should necessarily be part of wanting to > > be an entertainer. I think that people go into the business for money and > > fame, not to be harassed. Don't you think it gets old to them (especially > > social secludes like Linnell)? Damn. Now I feel like I'm giving a speech. > > The way I write makes everything seem like a serious subject! (or at > > least to me it does) > > -Mark > Come on now. Do you actually think a public figure is naive enough to > think they will never be harrassed or at least think there is a > possibility of harrassment along the line? If you have a lot of money > and especially a lot of fame you will be in the public eye. Some people > will love you, some will hate you, but whatever the case, the more > famous you are the more you will be known and the more chances you will > be mobbed, harrassed, stalked, whatever. Some celebrities have it worse > than others but I'm pretty sure just about all of them get it. Sure, > initially they might think that it won't be that bad, or they are just > too eager to make the money, get the fame, or just follow their dream, > but whatever the case it does happen quite a bit, just look at any of > those tabloids. > Matt > > -- > upcoming concerts: > TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 > TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 > "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way > Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) > ------------------------------------------------------------------- > Matt James > polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu > Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America > "Cracking toast, Gromit!" > New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: NON-TMBG: Full HORDE line-up and tentative dates! =) Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:25:10 -0700 >---------- >From: CORT[SMTP:CK8@TIGER.UOFS.EDU] >Sent: Thursday, April 10, 1997 11:19 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: NON-TMBG: Full HORDE line-up and tentative dates! =) > >Hi TMBGer's! > I have some more HORDE info for everyone interested in seeing >Soul Coughing, Ben Folds Five, or any of the other bands this summer! >Well, it hasn't been *officially* announced yet, but we can pretty much >guarentee that the line-up will be as follows: [snip] For those of you interested in full details, check out http://horde.prodigy.com It's got a full list of who is playing where and when. 4 pages of information. Jesse (: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704112250.RAA48094@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:45:09 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: tmbg: horde... whoever gave that horde.prodigy.com address, it's bogus. it's from horde '96 (you know, LAST YEAR?), not horde '97. geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: tmbg: horde... Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 16:38:25 -0700 Ah, apologies, didn't notice the date... However, I'd expect the '97 to show up on there soon, wouldn't you? Also, for those of us who have never heard of the HORDE until now, it tells us sorta what it's about. >---------- >From: Geoffrey McNulty[SMTP:gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu] >Sent: Friday, April 11, 1997 3:45 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: tmbg: horde... > >whoever gave that horde.prodigy.com address, it's bogus. it's from horde '96 >(you know, LAST YEAR?), not horde '97. > >geoff ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334ED2AE.46A3@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:09:18 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: So sorry... I am so very sorry to inconvenience you all.. I HAVE misplaced the lyrics (well, I never had them) and have been listening to what it sounds like They say on the WAV (the low-quality WAV at that), so I've just changed my sig to a song I actually like anyway. -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704120321.XAA08327@mail3.voicenet.com> From: "Ben Greenberg" Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 18:27:21 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Re: Bass too high? On 11 Apr 97 at 2:05, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Something that's really annoying about John Henry, Factory > Showroom, and Mono Puff:Unsupervised is that the bass is too > high. I have to turn the bass down practically all the way or I > can't turn it up loud. This is weird because I play other music > deafeningly loud, even stuff like Stone Temple Pilots and Rage > Against The Machine (my musical taste is very widespread). Does > anyone else experience this problem? > I noticed this--I don't turn down the volume, I just turn up the treble. It works well. -Ben ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: KU and me Message-ID: <19970412.011246.4502.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 01:13:03 EDT I'm really stupid sometimes. KU means Kenyon, right? Just making sure because that's what I told my friends. Six hour concert with John and John, free, outdoors, I am in bliss! ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I can make it back to Cleveland after the concert by 8:00pm so that I can go to the Ben Folds Five concert. That would be such the awesome day. Have you ever had a day more fun than They Might Be Giants and Ben Folds Five in the same day??!!!?!!??!!!!!!!!!!!! -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970412011736.0093d220@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 01:17:36 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG : concert preview >What began as a two man "band" with john flansburgh and john linnell, has >in the last few years transformed into a full fledged band with seven >members total. This band is THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. There is no other band >like them. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS can hardly be described with words. They >were, however, a lot more interesting to listen to when they only had two >members, as opposed to the full band they have now. The band thing is >still relatively new and they've only recorded two albums with the new >members : JOHN HENRY and FACTORY SHOWROOM. Their songs are very strange >and extremely funny at times. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS are just a bizarre >band but not freakish in any way. Interpretation: "I can't explain it, 'caus I don't what it is..." -ec ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-101 ******************************