Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-105 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 105 Wednesday, 16 April 1997 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: BF5 TMBG: TMBG real time chat TMBG: All these Ohio concerts/TMBG in print TMBG: istanbul remix (again) TMBG: Kenyon show Re: TMBG: Q.. TMBG: Uhm, could ya' help me? TMBG: The Remixes TMBG: movie/moxy fruvous/OAT TMBG: The Remixes Re: TMBG: rochester 12/29 TMBG: James K. Polk remix TMBG: Stomp Box- A TMBG zine TMBG: RE: They Might Be Giants at Kenyon (fwd) TMBG: Indiana University Show, Past Shows Re: TMBG: James K. Polk remix TMBG: FL review, Then review Re: TMBG: James K. Polk remix TMBG: Cub and TMBG TMBG: non-they: BFF TMBG: RE; TMBG Stuff, guest lists TMBG: Non-tmbg: ANNE HEIDEMANN (sp?) PLEASE EMAIL ME TMBG: TMBG nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt TMBG: TMBG Bootleg 2.5 Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt TMBG: my brother/Random Replies(tm) Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt Re: nonTMBG: No Doubt Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt NON-TMBG: Weezer TMBG: Hey Mr. Dj = Ska? TMBG: Here it is... info on the infamous Kenyon show Re: NON-TMBG: Weezer Re: nonTMBG: No Doubt TMBG: Re: They Might Be Giants at Kenyon (fwd) Re: TMBG: my brother/Random Replies(tm) TMBG: Kenyon/Purdue stuff TMBG: who is coming? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199704150613.BAA69134@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 01:08:01 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BF5 try the bf5 web page at sony. www.bff.com or www.bff.org, i'm not sure which one At 12:20 AM 4/15/97 -0500, you wrote: >On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, The Gottschalks wrote: > >> I'm just curious, where are Ben Folds playing on Wednesday? They're >> playing in San Antonio on Thursday, and I'd like to know how big the tour >> is by knowing where they're playing the night before. I have do disagree > >can't help ya with wednesday, but monday they are gonna be here in >Lawrence, Kansas. wow wee. > >^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* > my name is jillian i study the earth > i need a job > woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu > http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb >^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* > > > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 02:46:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970415013842.205f4504@popmail.vivanet.com> From: Matt Metras Subject: TMBG: TMBG real time chat Hi, I've seen a couple posts over the last few days about chatting in realtime about the best band in the world. I'd just like to remind everyone that there are 2 major chat locations already devoted to They, Both on IRC, one run by me on undernet and one run by jish on efnet (it's #tmbg by they way) and if u need any help getting on irc, check out my irc page (www.vivanet.com/~metrasm/mirc.html) and if u still need more help just e-mail. -Matt (MDM) p.s. If anyone remembers me from way back when i used to post, let me know, i'm curious :) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- -Matt Metras metrasm@vivanet.com http://www.vivanet.com/~metrasm metrasm@juno.com MDM@IRC mdm@tmbg.org Manager of #TMBG on Undernet and EICN mdm@thepentagon.com IRCop: EICN, irc.n.ml.org, Undernet Testnet mdm@narnia.mhv.net (I do other stuff too) mdm@a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i.j.k.l.m.n.ml.org My collection: mdm@thepentagon.com, mdm@audiophile.com, mdm@bitsmart.com, mdm@comports.com, mdm@cryogen.com, mdm@cyberjunkie.com mdm@deathsdoor.com, mdm@digicron.com, mdm@dittosrush.com, mdm@the18thhole.com, mdm@theoffice.net, mdm@teenworld.poboxes.com, metrasm@poboxes.com, mdm@neato.innerx.net, mdm@they.might.be.giants.rock.around.innerx.net, mdm@n.ml.org, asgmdm@ucs.com, mdm@zeronet.net, mdm@nexusnet.org, mdm@krad-leet.the-empire.net, mdm@narnia.n.ml.org, mdm@catfood.n.ml.org, mdm@pavlov.net, mdm@every.net.wishes.they.were.as.cool.as.pavlov.net (those are the ones i can remember off the top of my head) * ------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:05:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: All these Ohio concerts/TMBG in print Message-ID: Well, I have some potentially bad news. In light of the fact that the person who originally posted about the Kenyon show has not posted again, I will post what I have found. A) The Kenyon site has _no mention_ of a concert on the 26th on their calendar of events. B) The Elektra site specifically says that the show on the 26th is a _private show_. C) Most sites have a show in Ohio on the 23rd at John Glenn Gymnasium of Muskingum College. The Elektra site has this info about TMBG in the print medium: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS VILLAGE VOICE, CMJ, MTV RADIO, EXCLAIM, I GUIDE, JITTER, COVER, AQUARIAN WEEKLY, HIGHTIMES (FEB), TRACK MARKETING, ACOUSTIC NOW I assume some of these have already come up, but everyone should stay on the lookout for TMBG in these! If anyone has any of these, posting the article would be nice. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704151309.IAA18650@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:03:55 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: istanbul remix (again) could anyoue who emailed me about the istanbul remix wav email me again? i figured out a better way to send the damn thing, as there's not enough room on my web page. geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:28:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Kenyon show Message-ID: OK, correcting my previous message, I _did_ find something called a "Summer Send-off" or something on the Kenyon web site, lasting from 11:30 to 7, or 7 to 11:30... anyway, I remember that someone said there would be an all-day concert, and that non-students were welcome as far as they knew. I'm just waiting for confirmation. RS ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:28:32 -0400 (EDT) From: MIKE Subject: Re: TMBG: Q.. Message-ID: on the istanbul single:) shoehorn mike On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Don Glasgow wrote: > Where is this Istanbul remix you speak of? > > -Don > ------------------------------ From: "Jerry Pinner" Organization: Rowan University Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 13:10:15 EST Subject: TMBG: Uhm, could ya' help me? Message-ID: <32FF677556@elan.rowan.edu> On 15 Apr 97 at 2:04, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > I fear the fad trendyness of ska. I blame the pop takeover of No Clout. > Me too. This is all I'm going to say on the matter. I need help. I'm trying to find out the name of the band who opened for Them in Trenton last Tuesday. They were from New Brunswick, and had a keyboardist, guitarist, and electric violin player. They have a Hello club release, and their name had the word "Spiral" or "Spiraling" in it somewhere. If you could please e-mail me as so not to waste any thread space for the poor digest-ers (lie myself!) I'd appricate it! Thanks! -Jerry "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." -Unknown ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970415175002.006a8918@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:50:02 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: The Remixes Hey all, I'm just curious: what's the general opinion on the remixes? Personally, at this point, I'm not a fan of remixes (TMBG or otherwise); they usually have little to do with the artistry of the original, and are mostly useless. I can see it as a way for an artist (the mixer) to put a spin on the original work, but most of the time the remixes, with so much sampling and looping, show little in terms of creativity to me. That said (and now the remix-knowledgeable will please write to me to put me and my always objective mind (really! my opinions are often temporary and ever-changing) in place), here are the TMBG-remixes, off the top of my head: 1. The World's Address Remix (Joshua Fried) 2. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Brownsville Mix (don't remember the artist) 3. Larger Than Life (Miss Linda and Sensi) 4. The Guitar Outer Planet Mix (or something like that; don't remember artist) 5. Snail Dust (The Dust Brothers) 6. S-E-X-X-Y Warren Rigg Microwave Mix (Warren Rigg) I may have left one off. In any case, I didn't count the Don't Let's Start and the (She Was A) Hotel Detective remixes from Misc.T, and I didn't count alternate versions of songs (e.g. Kiss Me Son Of God, Spy, James K. Polk). In general, the really goofy ones for TMBG are the most fun. World's Address is cute for a while, but then it gets old. Istanbul has some catchy samples and keeps the idea of the song, but makes it danceable. Larger Than Life is the most ironic, making it a lot of fun. The Guitar remix just annoys me, but the moon landing quotes are a nice touch. I like Snail Dust, though no one else seems to. S-E-X-X-Y I don't like, generally because I don't think it takes that much imagination to techno something up; but they couldn't have picked a better TMBG song to techno. In the end, the remixes are interesting b-side stuff, but I think they should be left off future b-side compilations. In Misc.T, I always want to skip the World's Address; it's too long and becomes annoying. Well, I'm curious to know how TMBG remixes are received here so I'll leave it at that. ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970415104935.006e936c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:49:46 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: movie/moxy fruvous/OAT >...I came across this really poor movie on FOX's Midnight >Drive-In Theatre. It was the very end of the movie, and as >the credits came on, the song "Everything Right Is Wrong Again" >started up. Except that they tried to make it longer by repeating >certain parts of the song. But it was creditted properly in the >credits (which were rolling past as it played). Anyone know >what the movie was??? (I don't have a TV guide or anything) *nicole draws on her vast store of tmbg-related material (it's not so much that I'm obsessed than that I have a damn near perfect memory)* The movie was called _Ed And His Dead Mother_. >Hey, yesterday I bought the second Moxy Fruvous CD, having only heard the >last ten seconds of "King of Spain", from the first album. (Hey, we all >gotta take chances, right?) Anyway... I like it, but I cannot define >it... can someone tell me what kind of music this is? (and don't tell me >ROLK/POP like the record stores do...) I won't tell you it's ROLK, my friend, because I've never heard of ROLK music. Unless you mean ROLK= ROck + foLK, in which case that's a pretty good description of the Fab FruFour. But seriously. :) Moxy Fruvous is about as difficult to classify as TMBG, and for roughly the same reasons. I've seen record stores classify them under Rock/Pop, Alternative, Folk, and even (I am not making this up) Classical. Did you get _wood_ or _You Will Go To The Moon_? >Ben Folds Five....wednesday.....BFF.......wednesday....ahhhhhhhh. Lucky. I was going to see them when they came through Berkeley, but then I found out that they weren't headlining, they were opening for the Counting Crows, and the tix had sold out ages before. --nicole the wonder nerd who is also miffed because the Anonymous 4 concert she wanted to go to sold out... which was surprising because she didn't think there were that many early music fans in the Sacramento area... I swear, if it wasn't for disappointments... *** "The words I'm saying now mean nothing more than 'meow' to an animal."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704151817.AA16478@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: The Remixes Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:16:59 -0400 (EDT) > 1. The World's Address Remix (Joshua Fried) > 2. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Brownsville Mix (don't remember the artist) > 3. Larger Than Life (Miss Linda and Sensi) > 4. The Guitar Outer Planet Mix (or something like that; don't remember artist) > 5. Snail Dust (The Dust Brothers) > 6. S-E-X-X-Y Warren Rigg Microwave Mix (Warren Rigg) Actually, Larger than life is a Remake, not a Remix, a totally redone song basically. Then you have the Even Further Out There Guitar Remix (or whatever exactly it's called), and the Williamsburgh Mix of Guitar. I can't think of any others. /Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 15 Apr 97 15:26 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: rochester 12/29 >No offense, but... Does it really matter? Yeesh, I was just wondering if there was something funny that happened that everyone could see.. I wasn't there, remember? I don't know what was going on. I just thought that if something funny/cool happened, I'd like to know about it. Kirsten "I was just *asking*, for gosh sakes!" Brodbeck -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:27:30 -0400 (EDT) From: MIKE Subject: TMBG: James K. Polk remix Message-ID: Hey guys! I just had an idea, since we're on the subject of remixes-- They should come out with one of JKP: The James K. Polka!! (you may throw insults my way if someone has already thought of this or you think no one should have) i think its a great idea! :) shoehorn (mike) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704152001.NAA03661@f29.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Stomp Box- A TMBG zine Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 13:01:00 PDT Hello TMBg listies! Mouse here. Big, exciting news for all MouseWorld subscribers (all 3 of you.) Lotsa changes have been made in 2 months and I thought you should know. As of the next issue, MW will be henceforth known as Stomp Box. And I'm making the format a little more reader-friendly. So, if you'd like to try it, send a business-sized SASE to: STOMP BOX c/o Stasi Hunt 2521 N.W. 50th St. Oklahoma City, OK 73112-8016 Sincerely, Anastasia Hunt, Editor, STOMP BOX This message brought to you by Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's my real name so stop asking already!!!!) ###################################################### "Don't call me at work again, oh no, the boss still hates me; I'm just tired, and I don't love you anymore; and there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare like to go-I mean nice people-baby wait; I didn't mean to say 'nightmare'..."-TMBG, 'They'll Need A Crane' TMBG Info Club ID# 50982 Stomp Box!!speak my thoughts at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:09:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: RE: They Might Be Giants at Kenyon (fwd) Message-ID: I got this message after I sent email to the Kenyon admissions office. I'm not sure what to think of the mixed messages we're getting here, and the woman even spelled my name wrong! How hard is it to spell Amy?? [Begin Forwarded Message] May-- Thank you for your message on the Kenyon guest book. I just wanted you to know that the band, They Might Be Giants, is coming to Kenyon to give a concert for the Kenyon students only. There are no tickets available to non-Kenyon people. Jennifer Johns Public Affairs [End Forwarded Message] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704152143.QAA21974@csrlink.net> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:44:47 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Indiana University Show, Past Shows First off, I'm almost 99% ceertain that I'm going to the IUP show on 4/25 with a friend of mine. Now, I'd really like to meet some other listers that are going. It's like $14 for a ticket, so if you live anywhere near western PA I urge you to go and experience meeting ME! Heh, sorry. Also, I was wondering how much They stuff it has been possible to purchase at concerts recently. I mean, t-shirts, hats, er, pencils, music, posters, whatever. And about how much moolah this stuff? Thanks muchly, I'm sure there's something else, but it can wait. Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador Of Love" Flipse -Dylan aka-"Stan" Flipper" "Moron" Flipse-dflipse@csrlink.net- -http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: James K. Polk remix Message-ID: <19970415.161439.19750.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:14:01 EDT >I just had an idea, since we're on the subject of remixes-- >They should come out with one of JKP: > >The James K. Polka!! > (GAG), bad pun! -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:19:16 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970415170931_-1769980207@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: FL review, Then review Hello 41- First will come my review of the Florida shows. A lot has been said, but not everything. 4/11/Miami- This was a big bummer. I finished my statistics test and drove to the airport and flew to Ft. Lauderdale to meet Kaylum and Bennobil to go to the Miami show. We get there, and find out it was cancelled by Them. This pissed me off. I took one of their "The show in cancelled" signs, and left. We went to a place on the bay, had dinner at a bad Mexican place and went back to Kay's. We watched a video bootleg, which I left there (doh!) and went to bed. Kay slept, her aunt slept, Ben slept, and I listened to Ben snore. 8^) We then were woken up really early by Kay saying we had to take off, so Ben and I loaded up his pick-up and left for St. Pete at about 7 AM. We went through the bad part of town, which was deserted (good thing) and got to the highway, all in the pouring rain. We saw a bunch of really ugly birds, lots of Everglades and a panther the size of an elephant, I swear. 4/12/St. Pete- Ben and I got there at about 1 in the afternoon. We pretty much hung out around the show. We saw Dan and Grahm several times walking around. We then went near the entrance of Jannus Landing and waited and observed. Once, I walked by TMBG's bus to go to Ben's truck, and Linnell was in there. He was writing something, and he saw me, and quickly rushed over to the heavily tinted window and stared at me. I thought this was really weird, but fighting back all urges I didn't stare back. Let him write a song about me, I'll be happy! We saw Gravel Pit meet Flans for the first time, and heard Flans talk to them for about a half hour. Before the gates opened to Jannus, we noticed a lot of bums about. This was odd. But it ended up that Jannus employed them as janitors and stuff like that. I think that's a great idea. We were also approched by some crazy guys, and bag ladies. It was fun. Soundcheck was fun. They played some Hendrix song I forgot... I made a list, but Ben has it, and hasn't transcribed it yet. It might come. The show was finally opening. I was in the front of the line, and earned it. Six hours is a long wait. Gravel Pit didn't come on for an hour and foury five minutes. Now, one of the people I met at TMBG show last year introduced me to their music briefly. I didn't think too much about it at the time. They played, and were pretty good. I liked them better than many of the TMBG opening acts of the past. If you can make out the lyrics, it's cool. It took awhile, and TMBG finally came on. The highlights included the band being pretty hoppy and happy. Flans did a strange version of "Stayin' Alive" during the Spy Improv, that was pretty cool. Meet James Ensor at 2/3 speed is a lot spookier than the original, and I dug it. All the set-lists were given to girls (no big surprise) I think I'll write something about stage hand sexisim if I get bored. 4/13/Talahassee- After some much needed sleep, I left for Talahassee. I got there four or five horus later. I think that North Florida's radio stations only play music from '75-'85. I heard a lot of dusty rock and bad pop. It was interesting. I also heard on the NPR that today was the 30th Anniversary of the Expo '67. Wowie. I didn't hear it on here, but oh well. I picked up Mike and his girlfriend, and went to The Moon. We got there in the middle of sound check. They were playing Jessica, by the Allman Bros., and later broke into Ramblin' Man. Memo to myself: bring a tape to record sound check in the future. After this, I went out to the dumpster in back, searching for cardboard to make an Expo '67 Anniversary sign. I found a pizza box, and did so. Walking back, I saw Gravel Pit's van. I looked in, and the lead singer was in it practicing fingering on his guitar that he doesn't play in the show. We talked for awhile, and he put me on guest list. What a guy! I then decided I was hungry and went to Little Ceaser's with Mike to order a pizza to the show. We did, and it got there. I had several slices, and gave the rest to a cop. I told him he had better be nice to kids. 8^) I drank most of the Sprite, tried to sell the rest at $2 a shot, then dropped the price to free. I got in, and got a good seat. We waited for Gravel Pit to come on. The sound in The Moon was better than in Jannus. I could make out Gravel Pit's lyrics better, and was happy. I think they would be a really great band if they would get maybe a new guitarist and drummer. I liked the lead singer, he played keyboards and maracas as well as sung, and though the bass player looked permanantly stoned, he was good. I also liked the set up of The Moon, which I learned is usually used for country music. There were lots of lights and a large floor. TMBG's set was good. The Spy Improv was yet again cool. Linnell made a lot of moaning noises, which was funny. Grahm also screwed up the Spy Improv which was funny. I really really wanted them to play Jessica, but they didn't. They also didn't play Purple Toupee, though I gave someone the sign to hold up in front. It was still a fun show. I also got another Flans guitar pick, though all the set lists went to girls. My tape of Jannus came out sounding better than the Moon show. Each has too much bass and sound, but at least I figured out the problem. So this weekend in MD might be better. Then review- Like the last review of the IP show by the same guy, this one is cool too. Pretty accurate. They Might Be Giants were one of the late 1980s success stories. With a drum machine, synthesizers, accordion, guitar and seemingly endless imagination, TMBG captured the hearts of thousands, and helped spawn a new genre of quirky alternative rock. Now, more than ten years later, we see the issuance of _Then: The Earlier Years_. A compilation of the first three They Might Be Giants albums (_They Might Be Giants_, _Lincoln_, and _Miscellaneous T_, in itself a B-side/remix compilation) plus 19 previously unreleased tracks, _Then_ serves as an ideal main course for They Might Be Giants completists as well as fans of their later, major label (Elektra) works. Purists might complain of the "repackage, repurchase" policy which is employed here; after all, with the exception of the "single version" of two tracks ("Don't Let's Start", "Hotel Detective"), much of the good tracks have already been issued on disc. According to a January issue of ICE, TMBG have slightly tinkered with many of the songs on _Then_, to make them sound clearer to the listener. In fact, the group compared it to the upgrading of certain Frank Zappa albums - not a distortion of the songs, but cleaning them up. And with the inclusion of the original EP covers, as well as extensive liner notes from the Johns, the duo take great care to "complete" the original process. The 19 "new" tracks are an assortment of outtakes, genuinely interesting demos, and some trash. "Kitten Intro" is based on a car commercial, nearly two minutes of what could have been an introduction for the band at a concert - and "Critic Intro" is a 90 second tape which *was* used as an early introduction to the band. "Greek #3" is simply a (bad) Greek version of "Number Three", while "Doris Cunningham" is a 12 second soundbite which sounds like the twitching nose from "Bewitched". The bouncy "Now That I Have Everything", from a 1985 demo, stands out as the best of the new tracks - not only by its quality, but from the fact that it lasts more than 30 seconds. Although uncredited as such, some of the tracks were clearly inspiration for future They Might Be Giants songs. The slow "Fake Out In Buenos Aires" might have evolved into a Sleepy Paco version of "Rabid Child". "Weep Day" also has a South American feel to it while utilizing a bassline similar to "The World's Address", and "Become A Robot" seemingly opens with the introduction from "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die". Alternate versions of bona-fide They Might Be Giants hits help complete this collection. In addition to variants of "Kiss Me, Son Of God" and "The World's Address" (both of which appeared on _Miscellaneous T_), there are original or demo versions of "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die", "Don't Let's Start" and "Which Describes How You're Feeling". "Children Singing Particle Man", while cute in concept (a grade-school class singing "Particle Man", recorded by their schoolteacher), doesn't have the novelty appeal which one might expect - and since "Particle Man" doesn't appear until the post-Bar/None / Restless period (on _Flood_), it seems quite out of place on _Then_. For those who haven't purchased all 3 of the first TMBG discs, this compilation offers an opportunity to pick them up, along with a sample of earlier They Might Be Giants works, for less than the cost of two of those discs. Some things truly are better the second time around. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf We were driving out of town, and my radio's broken, been thinking about taking up smokin', but we're both broke and I refuse to smoke generics. 'Cause in my book, smoking a sub-par brand would be sort of like listening to a sub-par band. And I value my ears about as much as I value my larynx. -John Huss Moderate Combo Currently in the CD Changer- They Might Be Giants-Then: The Earlier Years 2, Those Darn Accordians-Squeeze This!, Weird Al Yankovic-Self-Titled, Coctails-Early Hi-Ball Years, Henry Rollins-Human Butt 2 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8nIz6dK00iWW4DFG1_@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:22:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: James K. Polk remix Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Apr-97 TMBG: James K. Polk remix by MIKE@garnet.acns.fsu.edu > I just had an idea, since we're on the subject of remixes-- > They should come out with one of JKP: > > The James K. Polka!! > > (you may throw insults my way if someone has already thought of this or > you think no one should have) It is a good idea! And now that other people have suggested it, I think I might just sequence and record it... :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970415171852.00920d40@waldo.ivcc.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:18:58 -0500 From: Court Schuett Subject: TMBG: Cub and TMBG This may be a stupid question, but I am tentatively going to see They on the 20th and the 30th and I wanted to know who was opening for Them. Hopefully it will be Cub. On that note, does anyone have a Cub bootleg from this tour, or did everyone just record TMBG? If you do, I'd love a copy. Thanks. :) -Court /* Court Schuett, a totally modern boy. schuett@waldo.ivcc.edu ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I didn't expect to find a salesman drinking coffee this late in the morning. How long you been here, Joe? Oh, I don't know, I guess thirty, forty-five minutes maybe. Why do you ask? You must be making a lot of sales, piling up good income. Oh... uh... I'm doing all right. I could do better, but... Ohahaha I get it Paul. Back on that old "Time is Money" kick, right? Not back on it, Joe, still on it. -They Might Be Giants *****************************************************************************/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <335420AF.56DB@swbell.net> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:43:27 -0700 From: Ska-Master Flash Organization: Church of God the Utterly Indifferent Subject: TMBG: non-they: BFF Gottschalks sez: >I'm just curious, where are Ben Folds playing on Wednesday? Houston, Texas, at the Urban Art Bar. Wanna know how i know? I'LL BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pumped, josh ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: RE; TMBG Stuff, guest lists Message-ID: <19970415.170111.16030.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 19:02:00 EDT whoa... i read that 'purdue concert' post and i read it as if it said "open to prude students only" anyways, it's time for THE RANDOM QUESTION OF THE DAY: how exactly do you get on a guest list??? "why's everybody always picking on me?"--- jimmy pop ali love, JOrdaN upcoming concerts: --Silverchair, Local H, Handsome 4/16 --U2 5/1 --TMBG: Lawrence, KS!!! woohoo 5/3 (it;s just a full days drive away) --sneaker pimps 5/8 --better than ezra, boo radleys' 5/13 --james, third eye blind 5/14 --beck, cardigans 5/22 --bush, veruca salt 5/27 --no doubt, weezer, Suicide Machines 6/6 --dave matthews band 6/1-2 --blues traveler 6/4 --311 6/9 ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 20:54:58 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970415204335_-32626149@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Non-tmbg: ANNE HEIDEMANN (sp?) PLEASE EMAIL ME ANNE HEIDEMANN (sp?) PLEASE EMAIL ME (self-explanitory subj.) Joel Yoel97@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <335423B6.CB2@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:56:22 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: TMBG "Ben Folds Five....wednesday.....BFF.......wednesday....ahhhhhhhh." All I have to say to THAT is: They Might Be Giants (the movie)....Thursday....Encore (the channel)....7 AM.....ahhhhhhhh. -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Subject: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt Message-ID: <19970415.211002.4550.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:09:32 EDT Hey fellow listers! I was just wondering what all of you wonderful people think about Weezer. I'm going to the No Doubt concert in June (yes, I love No Doubt and I'm proud of it! Is that such a sin?) and Weezer is opening for them. I've heard the song about Buddy Holly and the one about desroying my sweater and I think their pretty cool. Do you people recommend buying their CDs? -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:29:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Coyote Subject: TMBG: TMBG Bootleg 2.5 Message-ID: I am pleased to announce that I have the TMBG Bootleg 2.5 available for anyone who wants a copy. This video, created by the esteemed Larry Santiago, contains footage from 4 different concerts : 1) 11/22/96 - Los Angeles, CA Aron's Records 2) 5/95 - Seattle, WA The Wherehouse 3) 5/6/90 - New Paltz, NY High School Gym 4) 10/14/96 - Washington DC Taste of DC How would I get one of these videos you may ask? Would I have to sell my soul? No! Would I have to give you my college-age sister? Welll.... hmm. How about my first-born? Close, but no... Theres two ways you can get a copy of this thing: 1) Trade, send me a list of your bootlegs, and we'll make a deal or 2) Send me a check for $8.50 for a high grade tape, or $6.50 for a cheap type tape to the address below. I'll post the setlist for the tape on my webpage very soon.. I'll let everyone know when it's up (probably late tonight or tommorrow). -Adam MAiling Address: Adam Merrifield Box 708 WPI 100 Institute Rd. Worcester, MA 01609 email:kai@wpi.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970415213339.00764924@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:33:43 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt > Hey fellow listers! I was just wondering what all of you >wonderful people think about Weezer. I'm going to the No Doubt concert in >June (yes, I love No Doubt and I'm proud of it! Is that such a sin?) and >Weezer is opening for them. I've heard the song about Buddy Holly and the >one about desroying my sweater and I think their pretty cool. Do you >people recommend buying their CDs? I've heard that Pinkerton is pretty bland, but I have the self titled album (The Blue Album?) and I think it's very cool. "In the Garage" and "My Name is Jonas" are definitely worthwhile, as well as "Buddy Holly" and "The Sweater Song." Buy it. You'll like it. =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:36:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Kelly Anne Mazzonne Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt Message-ID: I too will be going to see No Doubt in June, and I am excited that Weezer is opening for them. I like Weezer. It is a pretty good CD. My $.02 (and my opinion) Kelly (the she without the extra "e") (: On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: > Hey fellow listers! I was just wondering what all of you > wonderful people think about Weezer. I'm going to the No Doubt concert in > June (yes, I love No Doubt and I'm proud of it! Is that such a sin?) and > Weezer is opening for them. I've heard the song about Buddy Holly and the > one about desroying my sweater and I think their pretty cool. Do you > people recommend buying their CDs? > > -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the > part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. > _______________________________________________________________________________ "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." -- Albert Einstein Kelly Mazzonne kmazzonn@umich.edu 1.313.764.4984 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kmazzonn/ _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:41:31 -0400 (EDT) From: MIKE Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt Message-ID: what the hell?? weezer is a really cool band--they shouldnt be opening for anybody,(well, okay, maybe some bands, but...) much less a group such as No doubt! that's just flabbergasting! shoehorn (mike) ps..i have no clue why i just used the word flabbergasting... > Hey fellow listers! I was just wondering what all of you > wonderful people think about Weezer. I'm going to the No Doubt concert in > June (yes, I love No Doubt and I'm proud of it! Is that such a sin?) and > Weezer is opening for them. I've heard the song about Buddy Holly and the > one about desroying my sweater and I think their pretty cool. Do you > people recommend buying their CDs? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704160151.UAA13056@hp-165.cae.wisc.edu> Subject: TMBG: my brother/Random Replies(tm) Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 20:51:28 CDT From: Aaron Kohlbeck Hello all, Not much happening to me Giant-wise, except for the fact that I may have a convert in the family. I gave my mom the extra FS cd I had (long story) and she gave it to my youngest brother. This past weekend when I went home he spontaneously started singing Exquiste Dead Guy. He also told me that he was in his car and one of his friends asked him to play "that song about New York City" because it was cool. I left him my copies of Apollo 18 and JH (with explicit instructions to take care of them), so we may have a convert soon. As for my other brother, he is another story. Quote:"Why do you want to listen to TMBG? You'll turn into a dork like Aaron!" Sometimes strangling that brother seems very attractive. Random Replies(tm) From: Matthew Coon >Well, word has finally come down from on high about this show. They >are scheduled to play on Sunday, April 27 at 4:15PM at Slayter Center, >an outdoor theater. The bad news is that the show "is open to >Purdue students only." The good news is that, since there are no >tickets required (as far as I know); the show is basically on a big, >easily accessible hill; and Grand Prix is basically pandemonium >anyway, there is no conceivable way of enforcing this even if one >wanted to try. So, while I can't promise that anyone will get >to see the show, you may find it a worthwhile risk. I suppose that this will be a worthwhile risk. It's only about five hours from Madison to Purdue (as far as I know). Anything going on before or some sort of meeting place for listies set up? From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) >whoa... i read that 'purdue concert' post and i read it as if it said >"open to prude students only" Ummmmm.....that would be way too weird. "No, I do not do that on the first date!" From: J Chen > I'm just curious: what's the general opinion on the remixes? Personally, I like remixes for the most part. In fact, there are some remixes I like better than the originals. The Devil WDT Newport is one, and I originally liked The World's Address remix better. About the only one I am not crazy about is the Snail Shell remix, which is kind of funny because I like alot of the other work the Dust Brothers have done. Odd. As to remixes in general, I would have to say that current remixes have come along way since back in the day, when only rap songs were remixed. Back then (mid-80's) a remix was usually the song with every other line taken out and perhaps a new beat added. Now we have entire melodies, tempos and the like changed. I think remixes give a different perspective on a song, something that we might never have heard before. It gives us a break from some tired old song with something new. Needless to say, I haven't met a remix I didn't like (even the Warren Rigg Mix of S-E-X-X-Y). But, this is all MHO. Aaron, a b-boy makin' with the freak freak -- Aaron Kohlbeck http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck "This is not coffee." - Rocko ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704160212.VAA38840@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:06:55 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt no no no. pinkerton is one of the best albums of 1996. well, i'm off to finish my flipp review. geoff At 09:33 PM 4/15/97 -0400, you wrote: >> Hey fellow listers! I was just wondering what all of you >>wonderful people think about Weezer. I'm going to the No Doubt concert in >>June (yes, I love No Doubt and I'm proud of it! Is that such a sin?) and >>Weezer is opening for them. I've heard the song about Buddy Holly and the >>one about desroying my sweater and I think their pretty cool. Do you >>people recommend buying their CDs? > >I've heard that Pinkerton is pretty bland, but I have the self titled album >(The Blue Album?) and I think it's very cool. "In the Garage" and "My Name >is Jonas" are definitely worthwhile, as well as "Buddy Holly" and "The >Sweater Song." Buy it. You'll like it. > > >=============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== >======== > jmorrow@voicenet.com >They Might Be Bootlegs @ >http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html >============================================================================ >======== > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704160217.VAA40624@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:11:47 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: nonTMBG: No Doubt i want to know why everyone is ripping no doubt to pieces. just because they've become popular? because they're mainstream now? they have every right to become successful. after all, they have been playing for ten or so years now. is it because they've been overplayed? big deal. they have the talent to warrant the overplaying (although i hate to hear anything overplayed). you all would get just as sick of tmbg if they all of a sudden had a hit with every single that they released, so leave no doubt alone. geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:24:04 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt Message-ID: Aha! You only know about the first album. I'm a big Weezer fan, and let me tell you, their second album, Pinkerton, is excellent. I'd say both albums are of equal value, so get either one or both of them. -Mark On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: > Hey fellow listers! I was just wondering what all of you > wonderful people think about Weezer. I'm going to the No Doubt concert in > June (yes, I love No Doubt and I'm proud of it! Is that such a sin?) and > Weezer is opening for them. I've heard the song about Buddy Holly and the > one about desroying my sweater and I think their pretty cool. Do you > people recommend buying their CDs? > > -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the > part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. > ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704160235.AA16826@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Weezer Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 22:35:16 -0400 (EDT) The best song Weezer has ever done is called Jamie and appears on DGC Rarities Vol. 1 (I think that's it). Some songs on there are good, some are crap, but if you see it used it might be worth it to pick up. Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: 15 Apr 97 22:42:27 EDT From: "NOREEN A. SPECHT" <76232.1433@CompuServe.COM> Subject: TMBG: Hey Mr. Dj = Ska? Message-ID: <970416024227_76232.1433_GHM114-1@CompuServe.COM> I have heard very little ska music, but I think the guitar riff at the end of Hey Mr. DJ did sound kind of ska-ish. But then again I'm pretty stupid w/ music sometimes and a few of my freinds would beat me for posting anything like this *8-) Specht ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 22:58:48 EST From: "Mr. Vanity Klaw" Message-ID: <009B2D79.0AA30420.72@kenyon.edu> Subject: TMBG: Here it is... info on the infamous Kenyon show Ok, here's the information on the TMBG show at Kenyon College on Saturday, April 26. This is the order of the show... 2:00-3:30 Valis (campus band/groove rock) 4:00-5:30 some jazz/blues band 6:00-7:30 Regatta69 (ska) 8:00-9:00 TMBG's opening band (TBA) 9:30-11:00 Them. Alcohol is not permitted at the concert site, and if security catches you, you will be asked to leave. This concert IS open to the general public. DIRECTIONS From Cleveland: Get on I-71 South. Exit at the State Route 13 exit and head east to Mt. Vernon. Once in Mt. Vernon, follow SR13 to the SR229 junction and head east. (There will be signs saying "Kenyon College") Follow 229 for about seven miles until you see the Kenyon sign on the left. Go up the hill, and make a right at the third street on the right. Park in any space you can find (ask the students... we're mighty friendly here) From Columbus: Get on I-71 North. Exit at State Route 36 and head east. Turn left at the junction of 36 andSR 3 (aat a traffic light... you will still be on SR 36), and drive until you enter Mt. Vernon and merge with SR 229. See directions above on how to get to Kenyon from there. Like I said in an earlier email, this concert is FREE. I hope to see some of you there... And my apologies for everyone who has emailed me over the past few days whom I never replied to. Hope this answers all of your questions. Tim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704160300.WAA42730@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:55:22 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Weezer and if you're lucky you can get a new copy for $7 anyway g At 10:35 PM 4/15/97 -0400, you wrote: >The best song Weezer has ever done is called Jamie and appears on DGC >Rarities Vol. 1 (I think that's it). Some songs on there are good, some >are crap, but if you see it used it might be worth it to pick up. >Matt >-- >upcoming concerts: >TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 >TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 >"No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way >Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) >------------------------------------------------------------------- >Matt James >polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu >Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America >"Cracking toast, Gromit!" >New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 22:06:00 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: nonTMBG: No Doubt Message-Id: On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Geoffrey McNulty wrote: > overplayed). you all would get just as sick of tmbg if they all of a sudden > had a hit with every single that they released, so leave no doubt alone. > i'm right there with ya, geoff! i've been a no doubt*er since the beginning...and though their style has changed a bit, they are still worth every second of attention they are getting. i think gwen said it best: "we may be here today and gone tomorrow, so we're just enjoying the ride." let them! ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* my name is jillian i study the earth i need a job woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Giants at Kenyon (fwd) Message-ID: <19970415.233120.4550.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 23:31:21 EDT Well, I'm going to trust Tim on this one. He's a Kenyon student so he should know what he's talking about. But if I drive for two hours and I'm not allowed in, I'll blow up the whole campus (after getting John and John to safety of course)! -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. On Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:09:36 -0400 (EDT) Amy Greenlese writes: >I got this message after I sent email to the Kenyon admissions office. >I'm not sure what to think of the mixed messages we're getting here, >and >the woman even spelled my name wrong! How hard is it to spell Amy?? > >[Begin Forwarded Message] >May-- > >Thank you for your message on the Kenyon guest book. I just wanted >you to know >that the band, They Might Be Giants, is coming to Kenyon to give a >concert for >the Kenyon students only. There are no tickets available to >non-Kenyon people. > >Jennifer Johns >Public Affairs >[End Forwarded Message] > > ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199704160430.XAA25298@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: my brother/Random Replies(tm) Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 23:30:43 -0500 (EST) Aaron Kohlbeck writes (re: Purdue show): > I suppose that this will be a worthwhile risk. It's only about > five hours from Madison to Purdue (as far as I know). Anything > going on before or some sort of meeting place for listies set up? > I really don't know. Who is planning on coming? Let's have a show of hands... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 01:05:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Kenyon/Purdue stuff Message-ID: > > I suppose that this will be a worthwhile risk. It's only about > > five hours from Madison to Purdue (as far as I know). Anything > > going on before or some sort of meeting place for listies set up? > > I really don't know. Who is planning on coming? Let's have > a show of hands... Ok, well, there's me, and Mike Rose, and Alex "Mr. Klaw" Gershon, and Phil Bickel, and several of my friends that aren't on this list. That makes about 8-10 of us all together so far, and I want to meet people, darn it! So yes, let's get together and meet and all try to sneak past security together. As for Kenyon, let's see a show of hands for *that* show. C'mon people, we're all friends here! Let us bad together in our Giantness, and it'll be fun. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Actual Newspaper Headline: Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 01:23:51 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: who is coming? Message-ID: Since some of you have been asking who is going... I am planning to attend the Kenyon and Purdue shows if this will be possible. I certainly hope that I, a wayward Canadian who will have travelled far, will not be turned back at the gates. It would be quite nice to fill the first weekend of my well-deserved vacation with free outdoor TMBG concerts. Of course, these things to tend to end up being too good to be true, and, to quote Sam Lowry, I don't deserve that kind of luck. Some of you may be wondering why I would want to choose to vacation in Ohio, PA, and Indiana. Well, I'm that kind of guy. I also plan to attend the John S. Hall show in Indianapolis on May 3. I'd be crazy not to go, despite the fact that Indianapolis has been described to me by a reliable source as a really weird and unsettling place. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the new webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* "Sugar is granulated happiness. It's a friend." --David Lynch ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-105 ******************************