Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-106 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 106 Thursday, 17 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Remixes/bluh TMBG: They in Orlando Fringe, and non-tmbg request TMBG: Dreams... TMBG: STOP THE WEEZER INSANITY TMBG: Kenyon show TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless Re: TMBG: The Remixes TMBG: Kenyon Re: TMBG: STOP THE WEEZER INSANITY Re: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt Re: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question TMBG: THEN review TMBG: Flansburgh Interview Re: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question RE: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless RE: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless TMBG: AHH!!! West Maryland College Show Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt TMBG: Kenyon / Weezer / No Doubt RE: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Kenyon/Purdue stuff Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters RE: TMBG: Hey Mr. Dj = Ska? Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters TMBG: Kenyon / Istanbul, Particle Man TMBG: Jumping Genres, Batman! Re: TMBG: Remixes/bluh TMBG: Confusion! Purdue show... Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters TMBG: Who's They Might be Giants? TMBG: I'VE GOT IT!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Who's They Might be Giants? Re: TMBG:Tmbg.com ordering questions TMBG:New(I think)Weep Day interp Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters TMBG: INJUSTICE TMBG: MORE TMBG Boston pics!! TMBG: Re: MORE TMBG Boston pics!! Re: TMBG: James K. Polk remix Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Jumping Genres, Batman! Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters TMBG: Mainstream Re: TMBG: James K. Polk remix Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Mainstream Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters TMBG: Older Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt TMBG: AUSTRAILIAN instore video for trade! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 03:15:02 -0400 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199704160715.DAA19183@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704160817.EAA20767@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 97 04:20:48 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Remixes/bluh HEY! I >think< the account is fixed. And a big hellooo to everyone I've (sorta) ignored over the past month+... Sorry. If y'all wanna re-e me about those IP shows, feel free. The best TMBG remix is the promo-only "Racist Friend." No question. I only have a copy on tape, and have been trying to track down the vinyl for yeeeears... I really like "Snail Dust" as well. I guess I have no choice being such a manic Paul's Boutique fan. goodaBEback,chip! Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu * ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:26:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970416042616_-932473188@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: They in Orlando Fringe, and non-tmbg request Hello 41- Well, I am volunteering at the Fringe Fest in Orlando right now, and it is pretty cool. I got to see a bunch of shows for free today, and loved them all as if they were my own. In a way they were my favorite plays. How it related is this. I saw one called "Menace of Venice," where the theme song was No One Knows My Plan. It was very cool. I don't think I was the only one that knew the words, which was also cool. Then walking down the street, I heard a bunch of people singing Istanbul. More TMBG in shows I missed? Then, I saw one called "Actor" where part of their music was They Might Be Giants from Flood. Also cool. Non-TMBG- I don't know if I speak for anybody else, but I'm getting really sick of the totally non-TMBG topics on this list. I have talked to a few people that said they were leaving the list due to the volume of crap that goes on, and it gets tedious to go through. So I'll ask the people (me included, I'll try to stop) to keep it to personal email. Thank you. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:32:03 -0500 (EST) From: apatte2@UMBC2.UMBC.EDU Subject: TMBG: Dreams... Message-id: Ok, so I know this thread is long gone BUT my TMBG dream happened this morning so what can I say. Actually it doesn't have that much to do with Them but here goes: Yesterday they were doing all that promotional crap at school so I signed up for a credit card and got a free CD. Well, I dreamt that I opened the CD and inside were three CD's, each of them shaped like a barnyard animal. The first was a chicken and I put that in but it didn't really fit in the player and the first track was just some chicken clucking noises so I took that out and put in the second CD b/c I was looking for which one had the track by Luscious Jackson that was advertised on the back. It was a sheep but then I decided I would listen to the last one first which was shaped like a duck. So I put the duck in, expecting to hear some quacking noises first but instead I heard "My Evil Twin". Really weird considering I don't really see this as a song that might pop up inmy dreams... But what's rilly creepy is that In the dream, I remembered an element of real life. I remembered a couple years back when my boyfriend at the time asked me on the phone Who was Nostradamus? He was a prophet, I told him, Why? Because he is mentioned in a TMBG song, that's all. FIN PS- I just realized that the sentence "...my boyfriend at the time..." sounds rilly dumb considering I've only had 2. One guy in HS who disappeared over the summer. And my current boyfriend now (who is a wonderfully amazing guy I might like to add) (c; My ex-boyfriend was actually kind of a nice guy ...in fact if any of you know someone named Steve Nicklas or if you happen to be him I would appreciate it if you email me. Thanks - Management ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: STOP THE WEEZER INSANITY Message-ID: <19970416.070433.11414.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 09:05:56 EDT I AM NOW OFFICIALLY STOPPING THE FRIGGIN WEEZER/NO DOUBT THREAD NOW!!!! "JOhN Linnell: We Just released a new album with all of our older stuff. Some people say this is our best work. [LOUD applause]. This makes us feel very bad." love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:21:46 EST From: "Mr. Vanity Klaw" Message-ID: <009B2DD8.73891060.88@kenyon.edu> Subject: TMBG: Kenyon show Hmmm... I wouldn't be too scared by that email from the woman in Kenyon admissions. Summer Send-Off is the big annual show, and yes, while it's intended for Kenyon students, students bring friends every year. And it's in the middle of a big, wide open lawn. So the only way you're going to get caught is if you bring alcohol, or you do something crazy and draw attention to yourself. I'd say no worries there. Heck, if all else fails, tell 'em you're a guest of Tim Moyle. (Note: to be used in emergencies only...) Tim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970416144530.006754a4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:45:30 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question Back in late December/early January (something like that...it was over Winter break), I ordered the video collection from TMBG.COM. I'm not sure if they've sold out or something, but I haven't gotten the tape or any other kind of response. Do any of you have suggestions for what I should do? Thanks, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704161446.JAA39212@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 09:40:35 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless i am really suprised that no one has talked about this yet. everyone complains that "particle man" sung by schoolchildren shouldn't be on then because it's from the elektra years. well, so is "which describes how you're feeling," although the version on then is the demo. "which describes how you're feeling" is on apollo 18! so stop your lollygagging. geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: The Remixes Date: 16 Apr 1997 08:11:42 GMT Message-ID: <5j21ju$3pk$1@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article <2.2.32.19970415175002.006a8918@pop.ben2.ucla.edu>, J Chen writes: > 1. The World's Address Remix (Joshua Fried) > 2. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Brownsville Mix (don't remember the artist) > 3. Larger Than Life (Miss Linda and Sensi) > 4. The Guitar Outer Planet Mix (or something like that; don't remember artist) > 5. Snail Dust (The Dust Brothers) > 6. S-E-X-X-Y Warren Rigg Microwave Mix (Warren Rigg) S-E-X-X-Y Warren Rigg Instrumental S-E-X-X-Y Tee's Freeze Mix S-E-X-X-Y Tee's In House Dub S-E-X-X-Y Tee's Cappella (all from the S-E-X-X-Y 12"). Daniel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970416111453.005928a0@email.uc.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:14:56 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: TMBG: Kenyon Well, I'm going to the show, and if anyone wants to meet before or something, let me know. I'm heading up from good old Cincinnati to see this one, so, assuming that my car makes it there, I'll see y'all there. Heather Garver University of Cincinnati garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970416104206.0069df98@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:42:06 -0500 From: counterfeit fake Subject: Re: TMBG: STOP THE WEEZER INSANITY >I AM NOW OFFICIALLY STOPPING THE FRIGGIN WEEZER/NO DOUBT THREAD NOW!!!! i'd just like to add to this that weezer is a really good band, and everybody should check them out if you haven't allready... both albums are really GREAT, and they're really good live too... rabidchild ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 02:16:55 +1000 (EST) Message-Id: <199704161616.CAA18913@corinna.its.utas.edu.au> From: slbrown@postoffice.utas.edu.au (Brownie) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question >Back in late December/early January (something like that...it was over >Winter break), I ordered the video collection from TMBG.COM. I'm not sure >if they've sold out or something, but I haven't gotten the tape or any other >kind of response. Do any of you have suggestions for what I should do? > >Thanks, > >-Adam If you've paid any money I'd write to them, snail mail, or ring to find out what's going on. If you Haven't paid any money, try ordering again, but this could be a bit risky Question: What TMBG midi file should I put on my web page- no anti-bgsound messages please, I'm out to niggle those with delicate sensibilities (you should see all the animated gifs- sickenning) Brownie --------------------------- tear here ----------------------------------------- Bad Recipe (courtesy Plonk): 1: Get five pounds of raw meat 2: Leave in sun for five days 3: Eat ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970416162352.0072575c@pworld.net.ph> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:23:52 +0800 From: Reggie Vinluan Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt At 09:33 PM 4/15/97 -0400, you wrote: >> Hey fellow listers! I was just wondering what all of you >>wonderful people think about Weezer. I'm going to the No Doubt concert in >>June (yes, I love No Doubt and I'm proud of it! Is that such a sin?) and I thought Weezer was about to split up? Reggie Hootie should open for No Doubt, not Weezer! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:49:43 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199704161649.MAA30245@hubcap.clemson.edu> From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question At 02:16 AM 4/17/97 +1000, you wrote: > >If you've paid any money I'd write to them, snail mail, or ring to find out >what's going on. If you Haven't paid any money, try ordering again, but this >could be a bit risky I sent a check, and as of last month, it hasn't gone through... I'm guess I can assume it was either lost in the mail or they're being extremely unprofessional... The least they could do is write me and say that they're sold out... >Question: What TMBG midi file should I put on my web page- no anti-bgsound >messages please, I'm out to niggle those with delicate sensibilities (you >should see all the animated gifs- sickenning) Maybe you could set up some Javascript and have it load a different midi every time. :> TTYL, -Adam /========================================\ Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:37:21 -0400 Message-Id: <199704161737.NAA05726@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu (The Denominator) Subject: TMBG: THEN review I didn't know if anyone was interested in our press reviews, but this is the one i wrote for the newspaper here at the University of Tulsa. Remember, its primarily for a NON-TMBG audience, but we are working on becomding the most TMBG-a-fied paper in the world. This week's interview with Flans will mark the third TMBG story of the school year. (FS review, THEN review, interview) By Kristen Maxwell Diversions Writer "No, They Might Be Giants are not Satanists. They are not posing as an easy-listening Nazi rock band, trying to lure intellectuals into believing what they already know to be true." I could not think of a better introduction for the band than the words spoken by member John Flansburgh on their brand-new compilation, Then: The Earlier Years. Who can better summarize the illustrious career of the "twin quasars of rock," better known as They Might Be Giants, than the two Johns themselves? They are one of the few bands who can claim to have been around for over ten years and still not have become mainstream. Then chronicles the band's humble beginnings in Brooklyn, through the release of their first three albums. The whopping two-disc set encompasses all of They Might Be Giants (often referred to as "the pink album"), Lincoln, and their b-side collection Miscellaneous T. Adding the 19 previously unreleased bonus tracks, Then offers a grand total of 72 songs and over three hours of Giantism. The first disc starts from the start, with the band's self-titled first album in its entirety. This is the album that spawned their career, and features several fan-favorites like "Don't Let's Start" and "She's An Angel." Their style was much simpler and less showy on the first album, and fans of their more recent material (post John Henry) would doubt them to be the same band at all. However, this is where it all began, and They Might Be Giants is the root of all things Giant. Disc one also features the b-sides from the Don't Let's Start EP and the (She Was a) Hotel Detective EP. These include "The Famous Polka" and the untitled track featuring the confused lady asking "Who's There May Be Giants?", which were previously compiled on Miscellaneous T. The treasures of the album are the bonus tracks. Disc one features the best of these unreleased songs, including the uppy "Now That I Have Everything," the original version of "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die," and a demo version of "Don't Let's Start" that would be better than the final version if it were a tad longer. "Greek #3," a translated version of the song "Number Three" from the pink album, is the shining gem of disc one, and an instant favorite. The history lesson in Giantism picks up on disc two with their second album, Lincoln. Their sophomore effort includes the classic "Ana Ng," a rocking ditty about two long-distance lovers who have yet to even meet. The confused history of the 50's and 60's "Purple Toupee," the love-gone-bad tale of "They'll Need a Crane" and the tribute to decadence "Kiss Me, Son of God" are all included here. After Lincoln, there are more songs from Miscellaneous T, this time from the They'll Need A Crane EP and the Purple Toupee EP. "It's Not My Birthday," "Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" and the tecnho-fied Joshua Fried remix of "The World's Address" grace this section of the album, along with the Giants' tribute to selling-out for media recognition, "Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal." The last of the bonus tracks finish out the second disc. "Kitten Intro" is a uniquely Giant segment used at their concerts to introduce their act. "Become a Robot", "Weep Day" and the demo version of "Which Describes How You're Feeling" (Giants factoid: the backwards bit in this song says, "They Might Be Giants wanted to include a verse about the suffering people in the world, but we couldn't figure out where to put it into this song.") are wonderful additions to the album. A class of elementary school children cap off the album singing their rendition of the ever popular "Particle Man," which is the best (and only) cover of a Giants song that I have ever heard. As if the sheer volume of the music was not enough to make any Giants fan to salivate uncontrollably and spend next year's tuition on the album, there are extensive liner notes included with the set. The booklet-sized insert has an introduction by the two Johns, full of anecdote about the making of each album and a history of the band's progression through the years. The liner also includes all of the original art from the featured albums and EP's, the lyrics to all the songs, and some additional photos of the elusive musicians. My overall impression of the album is easy to see: it is RAD. I use that word sparingly, but Then deserves the sacred 80's praise. It is an essential part of any fan's collection, especially those who have shied away from shelling out for all of their old works. Then is more than three albums for the price of two, and the bonus tracks are enough to tempt even the most miserly fans. If you already have all of their albums, you might not be in such a rush to grab this one, but it is a must-have nonetheless. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:40:23 -0400 Message-Id: <199704161740.NAA05886@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu (The Denominator) Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh Interview Howdies, I *FINALLY* got my interview with Flans yesterday! (I've only been trying since Thanksgiving...) It went pretty well, except for the fact that i was (and still am) really sick and sounded like a complete dweeb on the phone, not to mention that I sounded half asleep. I hope he didn't think i was disinterested... Anyway, i will have to have the ~20 minute interview transcribed by saturday, so it should be here soon. I didn't get to cover NEAR as much as i wanted to, and didn't even get to the intersting, specific questions. I guess I will have to really push for the in-person interview at the Kansas show :) see ya Kris ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:24:48 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question > >Back in late December/early January (something like that...it was over > >Winter break), I ordered the video collection from TMBG.COM. I'm not sure > >if they've sold out or something, but I haven't gotten the tape or any other > >kind of response. Do any of you have suggestions for what I should do? > > wait... based on careful research it is apparent that i takes a virtual enternity to get anything you order from the newsletter or tmbg.com... clearly there is only one person (at most) processing these orders, apparently this person also makes each item that you order by hand himself, of course after making two or three items i think he gets tired and therefore claims that anything else you ordered is out of stock... after constructing the items you ordered he then takes a one man raft trip around the world in order to relax, upon returning six months later he sends out your order and gets started on the next order... it's just a theory... Trippy ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:23:37 -0700 >---------- >From: Geoffrey McNulty[SMTP:gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 1997 7:40 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless > >i am really suprised that no one has talked about this yet. everyone >complains that "particle man" sung by schoolchildren shouldn't be on then >because it's from the elektra years. well, so is "which describes how you're >feeling," although the version on then is the demo. "which describes how >you're feeling" is on apollo 18! so stop your lollygagging. > >geoff You know, it's kinda funny... No one ever mentions this, but Miscellaneous T was released a year AFTER Flood. Just thought I'd bring that up... (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704161853.NAA58626@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:47:35 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: RE: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless true, but it consisted of material that was entirely from the eps, and was all recorded before flood. > >You know, it's kinda funny... No one ever mentions this, >but Miscellaneous T was released a year AFTER Flood. >Just thought I'd bring that up... (: > >Jesse > > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark Man In Trouble" Subject: TMBG: AHH!!! West Maryland College Show Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:03:09 -0400 Message-Id: <199704161857.5143500@rma.edu> I called Pro-Tix they have no idea what I am talking about. "They Must be Giants...hmm..." Where did everyone get their tickets? On the west maryland college page it has a list of places that sell tickets and one of them is: WESTMINSTER 625 Baltimore Blvd. (410) 8400613 What place is that!?!?!?!? Is it called Westminster?!!? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970416150041.006b401c@pop.erols.com> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:00:41 -0400 From: Claudia Maria Poblete Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970416190041.0069b39c@pop.erols.com> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:00:41 -0400 From: Claudia Maria Poblete Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970416152932.00faac50@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:29:32 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Kenyon / Weezer / No Doubt Well, if someone's organizing a get-together for Kenyon, tell me, and I'll try to get there. (Althouh, I probably won't be there until 7-ish, because I've got stuff to do earlier that day. I'll probably be with a bunch of other people.) Weezer: Great band, both albums are excellent, but don't talk aout them on this list! Also, someone complained about them opening for No Doubt; well... It's the same as when They opened for Hootie. -ec ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704161938.AA17486@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: RE: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:38:44 -0400 (EDT) > >---------- > >From: Geoffrey McNulty[SMTP:gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu] > >Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 1997 7:40 AM > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless > > > >i am really suprised that no one has talked about this yet. everyone > >complains that "particle man" sung by schoolchildren shouldn't be on then > >because it's from the elektra years. well, so is "which describes how you're > >feeling," although the version on then is the demo. "which describes how > >you're feeling" is on apollo 18! so stop your lollygagging. > > > >geoff > > You know, it's kinda funny... No one ever mentions this, > but Miscellaneous T was released a year AFTER Flood. > Just thought I'd bring that up... (: > > Jesse This is true, 1991 compared to 1990. I think Misc. T was sort of the first incarnation of T:TEY, almost like T:TEY was modeled after Misc. T. Misc. T is actually slightly truer to its idea, not only because Restless/Barnone did it, but they didn't have any Elektra tracks on it. The only anomaly I can think of on T:TEY is the Schoolchildren singing Particle Man. It goes against the whole idea, it is not a song created in the Early years, but was intended for Flood (although it could have been made a while before Flood came out), an Elektra album. Not only that but there is no demo (that I know of anyway) that makes it similar to Which Describes How You're Feeling. This song was created a long time before Apollo 18 ever came out. Now you could say, Which Describes How You're Feeling was intended for Apollo 18 which is true, but unlike Particle Man, the Schoolchildren Singing was not created in the 80s. So it appears to not fit in with T:TEY. The only way I can see it fit with the other Bonus Tracks is that it is a strange cover of the song and thus wouldn't really fit on a new album (although it could be a B-side methinks). But that still does not make it an Early Years song. So there we go... /Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:00:11 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970416155840_152037601@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Most of us have probably experienced something similar to this: In school the other day (im a junior in h.s.) I was playing chess with my friend, and this guy who had noticed the TMBG factory logo patch on my bookbag comes up to me and says "What's M-T-G-B"? When I told him he groaned and said "Oh yeah, They Might Be Good, if they could play anything. They friggin' suck!" So I said the first thing that come to my mind, which was something along the lines of a weak-hearted "um, no...". (If this kid had been smaller than me I would've thought up some clever insult for him, but he outweighs me by like 50 pounds...) He then proceeded to tell me how they had no musical talent, and to make his point even clearer, informed me of their suckiness again. I briefly considered putting up an argument about how Of Course They Have Musical Talent You Ignorant Schmuck, or even Why Don't You Go Soak Your Ugly Fat Head, but I just couldn't think of anything good to say. Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do the rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking them? Does anyone have interesting stories about defending the band known as They? Do you think me writing this message was a stupid idea? -Geoff "I feel like George Costanza, in that one where he thinks of something to say later, when he's driving home" Sondergard ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Kenyon/Purdue stuff Message-ID: <19970416.161010.6350.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:10:17 EDT >As for Kenyon, let's see a show of hands for *that* show. C'mon >people, >we're all friends here! Let us bad together in our Giantness, and >it'll >be fun. > >Amy :) >cowtown@tmbg.org >Actual Newspaper Headline: Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over > Yes, I and a bunch of my friends are going to the Kenyon show. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself! I would love to meet some of my fellow listers. For those of you interested, I will be wearing black jeans and a SPAM shirt. That is my official concertwear. I wore it to two TMBG concerts and a Rugburns concert. Let's get a meeting place organized so we will know who each other are! Also, when are most of you planning to be there? I would like to get there at the beginning and stay for the whole thing. That would be so cool. I have a bunch of friends who are driving there but they all want to leave later, so that sux. We're coming from the Cleveland area. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Message-ID: <19970416.161548.6350.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:15:33 EDT >Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do >the >rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just >can't >stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for >liking >them? Does anyone have interesting stories about defending the band >known as >They? Do you think me writing this message was a stupid idea? > Well, the main problem with peope that don't know Them very well is that they judge Them totally on Istanbul and Particle Man. For some reason these are the most known songs, at least in my area. These people won't look past anything with any deeper meaning and there's really nothing we can do. I get extremely angry when people talk about Them not being musically talented. I get a bit overly defensive. I can't help it. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <335500D0.C30@baka.com> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:39:44 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters > Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do the > rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't > stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking > them? Does anyone have interesting stories about defending the band known as > They? Do you think me writing this message was a stupid idea? Ignore them. He's probably a product of the same lemming-mentality society that inspired No Fear shirts, the plastering of corporate logos on one's body, and "hey look at me! I'm a rebel just like everyone else" bands like Metallica and Rage Against the Machine. If they make fun of you because of a band you like instead of who you are, do you really want to be their friend anyway? Sorry if that sounded corny, but I'm pissed at people like that. Very pissed. I just had to get that out of my system. But if they're friends who like you just fine, but hate TMBG, then I too whish I knew what to do. My friends all think I'm nuts for liking TMBG(of course, some think I'm nuts anyway, but we won't go there), and I can't make any progress on converting them. I'm wide open to suggestions. -- "You can all just kiss off in the air behind my back I can see them stair They'll hurt me bad, but I don't mind they'll hurt me bad, they do it all the time"-Violent Femmes Jonah, who, after the B-52's incedent is anticipating flames for his insulting of RATM and Metallica. Please direct them to personal mail, not the list. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33556257.5F75@journalx.com> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:35:51 -0700 From: Shane Ham Organization: Journal X Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters > I was wondering, how do the > rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't > stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking > them? Just tell whoever says that that he/she doesn't get it. People HATE that. Or, alternatively, just roll your eyes and say, "Of course YOU wouldn't like Them." --Shane "Screed" Ham screed@journalx.com http://www.journalx.com "Content for the malcontent generation . . ." ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Hey Mr. Dj = Ska? Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:07:33 -0700 >---------- >From: NOREEN A. SPECHT[SMTP:76232.1433@CompuServe.COM] >Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 1997 7:42 PM >To: tmbg >Subject: TMBG: Hey Mr. Dj = Ska? > >I have heard very little ska music, but I think the guitar riff at the end of >Hey Mr. DJ did sound kind of ska-ish. > >But then again I'm pretty stupid w/ music sometimes and a few of my freinds >would beat me for posting anything like this *8-) > >Specht Okay folks, I'd just like to say something here.... So don't even think about flaming me. (: TMBG is ska. TMBG is blues. TMBG is rock. TMBG is pop. TMBG is jazz. TMBG is polka. TMBG is alot of stuff, often times within the same song. The extreme variety in their music is a big part of what makes them what they are. I'd venture to say that's a big part of why most of us like them, and don't really get that tired of them all that often. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: MSG970416154239#13@acme.computer-services.com From: "Buster T. Bunny" Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:42:35 -0500 ---- From: Kamesennin@aol.com >Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do the >rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't >stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking >them? Its easy, just prop your head up in your hand on the table and stare at them with a slightly amused amile. What you DONT say yet they know you are thinking will drive these musically challended morons completely bonkers! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:48:21 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: > these are the most known songs, at least in my area. These people won't > look past anything with any deeper meaning and there's really nothing we > can do. I get extremely angry when people talk about Them not being > musically talented. I get a bit overly defensive. I can't help it. I get super mad when anyone criticizes Them in the slightest. I get WAY overly defensive. I think we should think of some standard response that doesn't really mean anything but might confuse those people. Like, if I borrow a quote (or a close approximation of one) from Groucho Marx, it could go: Rude Person: "Hey, There Must Be Giants? They suck! They have no talent!" They Fan: "But still, we must remember that art is art. On the other hand, water is water, isn't it? And east is east, and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does." Rude Person: "You're weird, man. I'm not talking to you ever again." They Fan: "OK." Well, that probably wouldn't work. I just try not to get mad enough to cause anyone any physical harm. So far, so good. :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ "Mashing. It means making out. You know, like really hard." -Alec Wilmart --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970416165944.00f7a970@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:59:44 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Kenyon / Istanbul, Particle Man Hey, anyone think I'll have trouble going to the Kenyon College Campus Concert? (The reason: I'm a sophomore in high school, and the concert is supposedly kenyon-students-only.) I think that the reasons Particle Man and Istanbul are the most widely known They songs are.... Simple lyrics. Istanbul: no deep meaning, it's a cover, and the lyrics need no interpretation. Particle Man: lyrics may have deep meaning, but it's TOO deep, and people don't bother trying to interpret (Tiny Toons video with the wrestlers doesn't help encourage people to think up their own interps, either.) Also, Odd Instrumentation. People say "This is DIFFERENT" Even on They Might Be Giants and Lincoln, the accordion is not as noticable as on Flood, especially these two songs. (also, violin on Istanbul) Nowadays, though, They have a more traditional lineup, (bass, guitar, drummer, keyboard) as opposed to the Earlier setup (guitar, accordian, drum machine), and they tend not to stand out AS MUCH. well, that's it, i guess -ec Artists on desk: TMBG, Weezer, Moxy Fruvous, BF5 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970416170657.00f802f8@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 17:06:57 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Jumping Genres, Batman! McClusky, Jesse wrote: >Okay folks, I'd just like to say something here.... >So don't even think about flaming me. (: I didn't think about it, I just DID it :) > >TMBG is ska. TMBG is blues. TMBG is rock. >TMBG is pop. TMBG is jazz. TMBG is polka. > Now I'd like to say something. They don't have THAT much variety in their songs. Of course, they have songs in the style of each of those genres, but go to a concert, and MOST of what you'll hear is ROCK. I think that maybe once-in-a-while they'll say "hey, lets try making a country song", cause they probly get bored rocking all the time. well, whatever. -ec >TMBG is alot of stuff, often times within the same >song. The extreme variety in their music is a big >part of what makes them what they are. I'd venture >to say that's a big part of why most of us like them, >and don't really get that tired of them all that often. > >Jesse > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:12:37 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Remixes/bluh Message-ID: Are you refering to the Beastie Boys album? If so, that's hard to believe. Sanil Dust is boring to me. Paul's Botique romps! SHAKE YOUR RUMPAH! -Mark On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Pooh Head Bucket? wrote: > HEY! > > I >think< the account is fixed. And a big hellooo to everyone I've > (sorta) ignored over the past month+... Sorry. > If y'all wanna re-e me about those IP shows, feel free. > > The best TMBG remix is the promo-only "Racist Friend." No question. I only have > a copy on tape, and have been trying to track down the vinyl for yeeeears... I > really like "Snail Dust" as well. I guess I have no choice being such a manic > Paul's Boutique fan. > goodaBEback,chip! > > Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu > > ------------------------------------------ > "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:27:54 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Confusion! Purdue show... Message-ID: Ok, Mat Coon posted about the Purdue show, saying it was going to happen. Well, before I had checked my mail, I looked up the number for the guy who runs the whole Grand Prix thing, and called today. Well, I didn't get him, but I got some other lacky who told me that the whole thing might not be happening at all. I figgered he meant the Grand Prix, and he said that the concert isn't involved in the festivities for the race. I mean, I kinda hate to drive all that way to find out its not really playing, but if it is, I do really want to go. Should I call again? Is the concert going to happen regardless of the race? If one is not a Purdue student is it likely that we'll get in? Why is the sky blue? Do you know the Muffin Man? Anyhoo, if it definitely is going on, then I will definitly be there, with a friend in tow. Although, I suppose I might as well go for it despite the uncertainty, 'cause it sure is better to avoid the Little Five craziness... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I'm a cipher! A cipher wrapped in an enigma, covered in \\ secret sauce!" -Jimmy James, "Newsradio" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:36:48 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Message-ID: Well, here's my philosophy: A machine gun can always be figured into an answer. Seriously, I don't know what I'd say. I don't run into those problems. I guess people I don't know don't give me problems because I have a naturally serious and troubled look on my face. People have to meet me before they know I'm harmless. Anyway, don't feel bad. I often turn into George Costanza myself -Mark On Wed, 16 Apr 1997 Kamesennin@aol.com wrote: > Most of us have probably experienced something similar to this: > > In school the other day (im a junior in h.s.) I was playing chess with my > friend, and this guy who had noticed the TMBG factory logo patch on my > bookbag comes up to me and says "What's M-T-G-B"? When I told him he groaned > and said "Oh yeah, They Might Be Good, if they could play anything. They > friggin' suck!" So I said the first thing that come to my mind, which was > something along the lines of a weak-hearted "um, no...". (If this kid had > been smaller than me I would've thought up some clever insult for him, but he > outweighs me by like 50 pounds...) He then proceeded to tell me how they had > no musical talent, and to make his point even clearer, informed me of their > suckiness again. I briefly considered putting up an argument about how Of > Course They Have Musical Talent You Ignorant Schmuck, or even Why Don't You > Go Soak Your Ugly Fat Head, but I just couldn't think of anything good to > say. > > Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do the > rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't > stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking > them? Does anyone have interesting stories about defending the band known as > They? Do you think me writing this message was a stupid idea? > > -Geoff "I feel like George Costanza, in that one where he thinks of something > to say later, when he's driving home" Sondergard > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:42:15 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Message-ID: I really don't think it would make a difference to the common sap to hear the more intellectual side of TMBG. They Might Be Giants are not the music of the common people, especially those in high school. They're not mainstream, so why bother with them? I think that trying to convert the average person is like trying to make a dog talk, so I just look down on them and focus on converting intelligent people. -Mark ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:49:12 +0100 (BST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970416205022.2367bac2@popmail.dircon.co.uk> From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: Who's They Might be Giants? I was thinking the other night (yes, I know, a rare event..... I surprise even myself sometimes)..... So - I was thinking and I thought "Who ARE They Might Be Giants?" So - what's the answer? Are TMBG just John & John who happen to have an ever-changing backing band? Or are TMBG John & John including the band? I'm inclined (like the angle?) to opt for the latter of the above. I mean, I woulnd't mind in the slightest if someone other than the Johns stepped up to the mike to sing lead! What about everyone else? Later Joe -- "No-one is completely worthless - They can always serve as a bad example" - Chumbawamba ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:48:11 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: TMBG: I'VE GOT IT!!!!!! Message-ID: Well, this little idea of mine never fails. I do, however, have to assume that you are sitting next a friend. Here it is: After the person delivers the insult, give them a quick smirk, and then turn and whisper to your friend "Act like I'm saying something really funny about him." That's what you do, Buster! -Mark On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Buster T. Bunny wrote: > > ---- > From: Kamesennin@aol.com > >Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do the > >rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't > >stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for > liking > >them? > > Its easy, just prop your head up in your hand on the table and stare at > them with a slightly amused amile. What you DONT say yet they know you are > thinking will drive these musically challended morons completely bonkers! > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:09:08 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Who's They Might be Giants? Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Joe Keith wrote: > So - what's the answer? Are TMBG just John & John who happen to have an > ever-changing backing band? Or are TMBG John & John including the band? Do they usually introduce themselves as John & John OF They Might Be Giants, or John and John "and we ARE They Might Be Giants," or the like? That might give us a clue as to how they look at it. Or not. > I'm inclined (like the angle?) to opt for the latter of the above. I mean, I > woulnd't mind in the slightest if someone other than the Johns stepped up to > the mike to sing lead! Woah! Let's not get crazy here! :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ "I'm the man. You know when people say, 'you're the man?' I'm the guy they're talking about." -Alec Wilmart --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704161907.PAA21511@bingnet2.cc.binghamton.edu> From: "Richard Chung" Subject: Re: TMBG:Tmbg.com ordering questions Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:07:17 -0300 I ordered some stuff a real long time ago (last august) got only some of the things that I ordered in October and was given the option of recieving a refund for the remaining amount, sent that back in late October and just recieved a check for the rest two weeks ago. Now that's service! I must say that I must get my hands on one of those rubber stamps of the snowman though.... rich ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33555482.5BD3@pulp-fiction.com> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 17:36:51 -0500 From: Ask Kimber Organization: This Robot Thing of Ours Subject: TMBG:New(I think)Weep Day interp okay, if this has already been mentioned I need only one reminder, and you can all assume someone else did it already, but here goes, I think Weep Day is about Split Personality disorders, here's my evidence: 1)the name, two people contained in one, Mr. Tambourine Man, is actually two diffrent personalities, Mr. Tambo and Urine Man 2)Lyrics A)I Never Went to the tropical Island, though everyone said they saw me there: now this personality obviously wasn't "present" during the persons visit to the tropics, but others saw the body meaning others saw him there. B)Simultanoues Events Don't Happen: The 2 Identites can't show at the same time C)A Part is never called a whole thing, though it bothers it to know it's so: The split personalities refuse to admit that they aren't the only personality that exists, they wan't to be the only one D)Every man is made of 2 opinions, every women has a second half: this should be self explanetory, to this person, everyone has this problem. E)I didn't write the words you hear me singing, I didn't sing the line before this one:This is the part of the song when the singer starts changing identities quickly,First of all, the song is clearly written by this person, evident by the fact he keeps referring to himself as I. Second, It's obviously the same PERSON singing so this must mean he has once again switched personalities and it is saying it just "arrived" F)Met the consolute...now a hermit...pitching for the OK R...striking out the batter she became:speaking of another split-personality sufferer, who's personalities are also delusions of grandeur, bieng a worldly consolute, the wise hermit, pitching for a baseball team, and alsobatting for one. coarse that's just my opinion. -- Merendino Cortese TheDon@pulp-fiction.com--www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ Merendino@thepentagon.com merendino@geocities.com mattm@mixcom.com 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week --- " If the shoe fits... " (Tastey Cement Services) --- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:05:06 -0400 (EDT) From: She Might Be Amy Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Message-ID: > Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do the > rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't > stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking > them? Most everyone I know well knows that I like Them. It's a given. When people say things to me like "They might be giants -- but they might not" or "They Might Be Giants are weird" or "Wow, they suck" I just say: Well, you may think that, but I love them and you're missing out on a great band. I usually don't care what they have to say after that, I've made my point, and if someone wants to dis-associate themselves from me because of the music I listen to, then I'd rather not hang around them anyhow. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org The red brick wall was the color of a brick-red Crayola crayon. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3355587F.1A4D@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:53:51 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: INJUSTICE They has suffered the highest level of injustice. I PERSONALLY witnesses this blasphemous event! I requested Ana Ng, the song closest to "rock" on Then. It was going perfectly, and I was even gonna start the little dance, but when right when The Voice Was Repeating... it faded out. I walked over to the DJ, who proceeded to give a little ditty going somethig like this: "Hey, 'sup?" "Uhhh... we had a request there, and sorry 'bout that, uhhh... we have somme ..." "And some ..." "And here's some !" I've substituted for the name of some rap group that I can't really remember right now. I am going to personally request that these DJs do NOT return for any of these dances... -Vlad ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:31:39 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <3355615B.30FF@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: MORE TMBG Boston pics!! I got back on the scanner and scanned some more pics, including some of Flans (YAY)... Same URL: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633/cowtown.html enjoy! later-hosen Whim ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:34:14 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <335561F6.2BAF@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: MORE TMBG Boston pics!! but of course geocities is being bitchy...so you may not be able to see them right away....I hat geocities...but it's free websapce, what can I say? later-hosen Whim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970416212848.0070b84c@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:28:48 -0400 From: Perry lee Subject: Re: TMBG: James K. Polk remix At 05:22 PM 04/15/97 -0400, you wrote: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Apr-97 TMBG: James K. Polk remix >by MIKE@garnet.acns.fsu.edu >> I just had an idea, since we're on the subject of remixes-- >> They should come out with one of JKP: >> >> The James K. Polka!! >> >> (you may throw insults my way if someone has already thought of this or >> you think no one should have) > >It is a good idea! And now that other people have suggested it, I think >I might just sequence and record it... :) > Good god, don't call it the bloody James K. Polka. That's terrible, just terrible. zink |Whee...|Simultaneous events don't happen...|Whee...| |Wooo...|...We are isolated temporally. |Wooo...| ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33557FF7.5994@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:42:15 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters She Might Be Amy wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > > Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do the > > rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't > > stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking > > them? > Most everyone I know well knows that I like Them. It's a given. When > people say things to me like "They might be giants -- but they might not" > or "They Might Be Giants are weird" or "Wow, they suck" I just say: > Well, you may think that, but I love them and you're missing out on a > great band. > I usually don't care what they have to say after that, I've made my point, > and if someone wants to dis-associate themselves from me because of the > music I listen to, then I'd rather not hang around them anyhow. > Amy :) > cowtown@tmbg.org > The red brick wall was the color of a brick-red Crayola crayon. yeah... I get some lame remarks all the time... like the time I wore my Tour 2040 shirt to school the day after the Nov. 17 Seattle FS Tour Show... my principal came up and goes, "Hmm... The Mighty Bee Giants? Who are they?" I just kinda looked the other direction and said "Uhh... They. They MIGHT Be Giants." Otherwise, I just kinda look at them like, "You don't know who THEY is??" like they're missing out on some huge trend thing and they're really "out of it" (even though it's really me) -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970416214819.00709df8@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:48:19 -0400 From: Perry lee Subject: Re: TMBG: Jumping Genres, Batman! At 05:06 PM 04/16/97 -0400, you wrote: You're all missing the one point. TMBG is far from rock. It's a little something called New Wave. If you'd like to get even more specific it's New Wind. It's a musical genre with no boundaries, and the only wispy limits are that they don't stick to a damn thing. They are everything and anything and nothing at the same time. Each song is a seperate entity unto itself. zink |Whee...|Simultaneous events don't happen...|Whee...| |Wooo...|...We are isolated temporally. |Wooo...| ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33558247.631F@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:52:07 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Kamesennin@aol.com wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > Most of us have probably experienced something similar to this: > > In school the other day (im a junior in h.s.) I was playing chess with my > friend, and this guy who had noticed the TMBG factory logo patch on my > bookbag comes up to me and says "What's M-T-G-B"? When I told him he groaned > and said "Oh yeah, They Might Be Good, if they could play anything. They > friggin' suck!" So I said the first thing that come to my mind, which was > something along the lines of a weak-hearted "um, no...". (If this kid had > been smaller than me I would've thought up some clever insult for him, but he > outweighs me by like 50 pounds...) He then proceeded to tell me how they had > no musical talent, and to make his point even clearer, informed me of their > suckiness again. I briefly considered putting up an argument about how Of > Course They Have Musical Talent You Ignorant Schmuck, or even Why Don't You > Go Soak Your Ugly Fat Head, but I just couldn't think of anything good to > say. > > Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do the > rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't > stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking > them? Does anyone have interesting stories about defending the band known as > They? Do you think me writing this message was a stupid idea? > > -Geoff "I feel like George Costanza, in that one where he thinks of something > to say later, when he's driving home" Sondergard One thing I A L W A Y S do, and I repeat, ALWAYS do, is make sure they even know who in the hell they're talking about. One of my fave replies is "Don't Knock It 'Till You've Tried It." This poor idiot fool probably has only seen the Tiny Toons episode, if he's EVER heard Them anyway, and is only getting on Their case to get on yours (and mine, and Sneepy's, and Gottschalks, and Mousie's, and Buster's, and a few thousand other ppl's). Keep in mind that almost NOBODY is bonded to their band in such a way that We are to Them. -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3355829D.449B@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:53:33 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters 'Lani' N Olson wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: > > > these are the most known songs, at least in my area. These people won't > > look past anything with any deeper meaning and there's really nothing we > > can do. I get extremely angry when people talk about Them not being > > musically talented. I get a bit overly defensive. I can't help it. > > I get super mad when anyone criticizes Them in the slightest. I get WAY > overly defensive. I think we should think of some standard response that > doesn't really mean anything but might confuse those people. Like, if I > borrow a quote (or a close approximation of one) from Groucho Marx, it > could go: > > Rude Person: "Hey, There Must Be Giants? They suck! They have no > talent!" > > They Fan: "But still, we must remember that art is art. On the other > hand, water is water, isn't it? And east is east, and west is west, and > if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much > more like prunes than rhubarb does." > > Rude Person: "You're weird, man. I'm not talking to you ever again." > > They Fan: "OK." > > Well, that probably wouldn't work. I just try not to get mad enough to > cause anyone any physical harm. So far, so good. :) > > -Lani O:) > lanio@u.washington.edu > _______________________________________________________________ > "Mashing. It means making out. You know, like really hard." > -Alec Wilmart > --------------------------------------------------------------- Yaaay! Encore! I love that quote... Of course, you can become a nut with a shoutgun (bang bang bang)... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:59:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199704170159.VAA24385@quasar.voicenet.com> From: Jon Adler Subject: TMBG: Mainstream Y'know, I was just thinking about mainstream music... I realized that I have no idea what it is, because it doesn't exist... Mainstream music, as I believe, is music that mainstream society enjoys... Now, I don't know how many people agree with me, but people's tastes change every weeks or so... With the exception of a few outstanding, seemingly timeless musicians (Sinatra, Billy Joel, The Kinks)(Ignore that last example), mainstream bands change on a yearly basis... Who listens to New Kids on the Block anymore? Ska died... and then it came back... People just change their minds... You may wonder... How could this possibly be relevent to TMBG? Well, I have a problem with people who complain that TMBG have tried to become more mainstream [Not a problem, I just don't agree, really]. I think their style has changed, no doubt, since Pink, but you have to consider the fact that 12 years together will doubtlessly cause some development and evolution. Perhaps they have evolved toward a more accepted style by today's standards, (ANYTHING is more accepted than Fake Out in Buenos Aires, even though i like it) but tastes might change in the next year to bring them closer or farther away from the generally accepted style... If anyone cares to explain mainstream today, I'd be glad to listen, I just hope you're ready to explain it tomorrow, and ready to give me a different answer. Just my 1/20 of a cent... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:33:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: James K. Polk remix Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Apr-97 Re: TMBG: James K. Polk remix by Perry lee@planet.net > Good god, don't call it the bloody James K. Polka. That's terrible, just > terrible. I'm not. I'm calling it "The Famous James K. Polka." And it's coming out kind of interestingly, too. :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3355B12A.29DB@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:12:10 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters > The Mighty Bee Giants This got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if They made some kind of song up about all the misread or otherwise messed up names people have came up with? I personally think that "The Mighty Bee Giants" is one of the most image filled one I have heard so far. Just a silly thought- Kevin P.S. Maybe someone could come up with a web page of them, at least. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Whatever..." Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Date: Thu, 17 Apr 97 20:04:25 PDT 2 options: 1) Just realize that you are morally and intellectually superior to the other person, and they could never begin to comprehend something as wonderful as Them, and leave them in their naivete. 2) Come back with some quote from They Might Be Giants that will leave them wondering what the hell you're talking about. Some thoughts: "I want to thank you for putting me back in my snailshell" "He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth, people should get beat up for stating their beliefs" "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher." "Don't let's start" "I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm your little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend, but I am." "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" "Everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around" "I'm having a wonderful time but I'd rather be whistling in the dark" "We can't be silent because they might be giants and what are we going to do unless they are." OK, so I like it when people I don't like don't know what the heck I'm talking about. :) whatever... Michelle "This is an insight into my life this is a strange flight I'm taking my true will carries me along" -- depeche mode ---------- | | Most of us have probably experienced something similar to this: | | In school the other day (im a junior in h.s.) I was playing chess with my | friend, and this guy who had noticed the TMBG factory logo patch on my | bookbag comes up to me and says "What's M-T-G-B"? When I told him he groaned | and said "Oh yeah, They Might Be Good, if they could play anything. They | friggin' suck!" So I said the first thing that come to my mind, which was | something along the lines of a weak-hearted "um, no...". (If this kid had | been smaller than me I would've thought up some clever insult for him, but he | outweighs me by like 50 pounds...) He then proceeded to tell me how they had | no musical talent, and to make his point even clearer, informed me of their | suckiness again. I briefly considered putting up an argument about how Of | Course They Have Musical Talent You Ignorant Schmuck, or even Why Don't You | Go Soak Your Ugly Fat Head, but I just couldn't think of anything good to | say. | | Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do the | rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't | stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking | them? Does anyone have interesting stories about defending the band known as | They? Do you think me writing this message was a stupid idea? | | -Geoff "I feel like George Costanza, in that one where he thinks of something | to say later, when he's driving home" Sondergard | ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3355915C.6F50@pulp-fiction.com> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:56:28 -0500 From: Merendino Cortese Organization: This Robot Thing of Ours Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters anyone ever heard them called the Mighty Mighty Giants? you could tell this guy was NOT listening -- Merendino Cortese TheDon@pulp-fiction.com--www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ Merendino@thepentagon.com merendino@geocities.com mattm@mixcom.com 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week --- " If the shoe fits... " (Tastey Cement Services) --- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:01:06 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Mainstream Message-ID: Mainstream, like you put it, is the music of the general society, which usually does change weekly. In my opinion, mainstream music (like Bush, Manson, Type-o-Negative) is no good, just catchy to some. Sometimes it sounds tolerable to me, and once in a while it really shocks me that something quite good actually becomes trendy (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness). This is quite a personal opinion, and I'm sorry if I offended any MM, Type-o, or Bush fans out there. They Might Be Giants are much more than likeable rock with a few exceptions. They're engenious. Like it was said before, each song is entirely different from all the others. Even if you've heard all of Their songs, you won't be able to predict what Their future songs will sound like... at all. In regards to the idea that the Giants are conforming to a more "acceptable" style of music, well, I don't think so! In a 1994 interview, Danny Elfman commented his band's (Oingo Boingo) metamorphosis through the years. He said that in order to be successful a band must change with every album. Their dramatic change with their last album lost them many fans, but it was absolutely necessary. Real musicians don't repeat themselves. And that is what our Giants have done. They've undergone change simply because Their ideas are not limited. If Factory Showroom's content is more "acceptable" than that of Their previous records, it's just happened that way. I do not believe in the slightest bit that the Johns are worrying about being more popular. I'm off my soap box. -Mark "Somewhere they're meeting on a pinhead calling you an angel, calling you the nicest things." When I was little, my dad would tell me the most interesting stories about the Dark Ages and the Inquisition. One thing he told me that I got a kick out of is that church leaders in the Dark Ages would literally sit and argue over how many angels could fit on the tip of a pin. Pretty cool, eh? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:02:58 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Message-ID: The first time I took a look at a TMBG album (which was Apollo18), I only glanced at it. When I handed it back to the girl who was borrowing it, I said "The Mighty Bee Giants?!" Little did I know! -Mark On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > > The Mighty Bee Giants > > This got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if They made some kind of > song up about all the misread or otherwise messed up names people have > came up with? I personally think that "The Mighty Bee Giants" is one of > the most image filled one I have heard so far. > > Just a silly thought- > Kevin > > P.S. Maybe someone could come up with a web page of them, at least. > ------------------------------ From: RACH8425@duq3.cc.duq.edu Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:02:08 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: Older Message-ID: <861246128.126977.RACH8425@duq3.cc.duq.edu> This may sound very stupid but......I have every They LP and I have no clue where the song Older came from on the set list from the other night. Can somebody help? Kelly ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:30:48 +1000 (EST) Message-Id: <199704170330.NAA20530@corinna.its.utas.edu.au> From: slbrown@postoffice.utas.edu.au (Brownie) Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters >Most of us have probably experienced something similar to this: > >In school the other day (im a junior in h.s.) I was playing chess with my >friend, and this guy who had noticed the TMBG factory logo patch on my >bookbag comes up to me and says "What's M-T-G-B"? When I told him he groaned >and said "Oh yeah, They Might Be Good, if they could play anything. They >friggin' suck!" So I said the first thing that come to my mind, which was >something along the lines of a weak-hearted "um, no...". (If this kid had >been smaller than me I would've thought up some clever insult for him, but he >outweighs me by like 50 pounds...) He then proceeded to tell me how they had >no musical talent, and to make his point even clearer, informed me of their >suckiness again. I briefly considered putting up an argument about how Of >Course They Have Musical Talent You Ignorant Schmuck, or even Why Don't You >Go Soak Your Ugly Fat Head, but I just couldn't think of anything good to >say. > >Anyway, getting to the point of this message, I was wondering, how do the >rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't >stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking >them? Does anyone have interesting stories about defending the band known as >They? Do you think me writing this message was a stupid idea? > >-Geoff "I feel like George Costanza, in that one where he thinks of something >to say later, when he's driving home" Sondergard > > --------------------------- tear here ----------------------------------------- Bad Recipe (courtesy Plonk): 1: Get five pounds of raw meat 2: Leave in sun for five days 3: Eat ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:39:18 +1000 (EST) Message-Id: <199704170339.NAA22316@corinna.its.utas.edu.au> From: slbrown@postoffice.utas.edu.au (Brownie) Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Sorry about the earleir repeat of the original "Defend yourself" message. Slip of the wrist. I was wondering, how do the >rest of you Giant-fans out there deal with guys like this who just can't >stand to keep their opinons of TMBG to themselves, and scorn you for liking >them? About a week ago I was talking about a TMBG concert and someone piped up with "Who are They Might Be Giants? What do they play?" The girl next to me, confirmed tmbg hater (pity, she's really nice and I was really interested up until I found that out) said: "They write silly songs with silly lyrics" To which my reply was: "Yep, that's them." After all, that's how most people are intoduced to the band, and there was no point espousing the subtleties of the music to one person who was never going to listen and another who would have nno idea what I was talking about. Let the detractors think we're suckers for silly music, and everybody can avoid an argument and get back to their coffees Brownie --------------------------- tear here ----------------------------------------- Bad Recipe (courtesy Plonk): 1: Get five pounds of raw meat 2: Leave in sun for five days 3: Eat ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:35:38 -0400 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <3355A89A.1A37@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Weezer, No Doubt Reggie Vinluan wrote: > > At 09:33 PM 4/15/97 -0400, you wrote: > >> Hey fellow listers! I was just wondering what all of you > >>wonderful people think about Weezer. I'm going to the No Doubt concert in > >>June (yes, I love No Doubt and I'm proud of it! Is that such a sin?) and > > I thought Weezer was about to split up? > There's been a billion "Weezer's splitting up!" rumors, and none of them are true, as far as I know. They have fights, but they work them out... they're working on a third CD, last I heard. Oh, yeah. Pinkerton is excellent, though it's not as instantly likeable as the Blue Album... it's darker and meaner, but I think I might like it more than the first one. I guess the Blue Album is pop, and Pinkerton is alternative. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: AUSTRAILIAN instore video for trade! Message-ID: <19970416.203446.2343.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 01:26:57 EDT Hello there, It's me, the guy who did Video Bootleg 2.5. I've got a nice little video to trade with ya'll. It's an Australian instore video! It's TMBG in Perth, Australia at 78 Records on March 28, 1997. Features the slow version of Meet James Ensor, Counterfeit Faker, Spy, and lots of Australian people watching Them! (This is a whole different continent from most of us) The video is available in both Australian and American/Canadian format, so it's very ready to trade. So E-mail me now if you're interested. Larry http://members.aol.com/garit1997 "Who needs the Kwikie-Mart?" - Apu Nahasapeenapetilon http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-106 ******************************