Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-107 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 107 Friday, 18 April 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Who's They Might be Giants? Re: TMBG: Older RE: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question TMBG: Other Singers, Rock, TmBg's New Music Tendancies nonTMBG: Magnetic Fields, the Bottle Rockets RE: TMBG: JUMPING GENRES TMBG: Bar-None Video Compilation Re: TMBG: Kenyon stuff RE: TMBG: I'VE GOT IT!!!!!! RE: TMBG: Kids Particle Man (none) Re: TMBG: Remixes/bluh Re: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless RE: TMBG: Kids Particle Man TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-106 Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters TMBG: a little review TMBG: Re: a little review TMBG: show of hands TMBG: Thread mania TMBG: Insulting TMBG TMBG: stuff (long?) TMBG: New stuff, Brian Dewan, and other stuff. Re: TMBG: Thread mania Re: TMBG: kids with that there particle guy Re: TMBG: Other Singers, Rock, TmBg's New Music Tendancies Re: TMBG: New stuff, Brian Dewan, and other stuff. Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: Other Singers, Rock, TmBg's New Music Tendancies Re: TMBG: Other Singers, Rock, TmBg's New Music Tendancies TMBG: Yet More Purdue Evidence TMBG: hammer down/'64 world's fair TMBG: OMLT holdup-- please read if you want one TMBG: speaking of TMBG haters TMBG: OMLT holdup-- please read if you want one Re: TMBG: Re: a little review TMBG: TMBG haters Re: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 01:17:52 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Who's They Might be Giants? Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Joe Keith wrote: > So - what's the answer? Are TMBG just John & John who happen to have an > ever-changing backing band? Or are TMBG John & John including the band? > Hmmm...I always think of the Johns as being TMBG just because they were for so long before they added a couple of other people and called it a "full band." Then they played, "There's a new band member every hour" just like Dial-A-Song (Ditch-a-Member? Naw...)...so to me the "full band" represents an inconstant other to the constant of the Johns, who will for me always be TMBG. But someone said that if the Johns thought of themselves as _of_ TMBG (which I think they do), as opposed to _as_ TMBG, which would imply that they thought of themselves as a collective (which they are, even with just the two of 'em) which could either be more or less depending on their needs...I guess it is more important as to how they think of themselves, and not so much how we think of them. _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "It's Conan and Andy's Dole-a-Song...Not too clear, \\ and not too long..." -Mismirilda's spoof on the Dial-A-Song Intro TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 01:27:41 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Older Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Apr 1997 RACH8425@duq3.cc.duq.edu wrote: > This may sound very stupid but......I have every They LP and I have no > clue where the song Older came from on the set list from the other > night. Can somebody help? > Kelly > Not stupid 't all! Older is one of those nifty unreleased tracks that They have in abundance...it was supposed to be on Factory Showroom (yes?) but was cut in favour of shortness, and will probably appear on the forthcoming "Thing." Ta da! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "It's Conan and Andy's Dole-a-Song...Not too clear, \\ and not too long..." -Mismirilda's spoof on the Dial-A-Song Intro TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33560DAF.7C05@nh.ultranet.com> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 06:49:21 -0500 From: "Brian A. Miller" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question I'm in a similar situation. Back in January I sent a check to the Hello CD of the Month Club. The check since showed up cashed in one of bank statements, but I never received my CDs. At one point I received the following message: HelloClub@aol.com wrote: > > Dear Brian > > Sorry that we have gotten so far behind. We sent out several orders > in the past week or so to catch up. Please let us know if you don't > receive anything soon. In the meantime, I will print out yur address > and give it to our shipper to see if It had been mailed. > > Again, sorry for the delay. > -----Operator Bob But still, no CDs have shown up at my door. Since mail-order is the only source I know of for these Hello Music CDs, I'd hate to just give up (maybe try and put a "stop payment" on the check even though it seems like it might be too late for that...). Sigh.... --Brian ----- "I used to be a narrator for bad mimes" - Steven Wright Brian A. Miller brianm@nh.ultranet.com http://www.nh.ultranet.com/~brianm/ brianm@ctron.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9704171313.AA08599@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 07:57:38 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Other Singers, Rock, TmBg's New Music Tendancies >> I'm inclined (like the angle?) to opt for the latter of the above. I mean, I >> woulnd't mind in the slightest if someone other than the Johns stepped up to >> the mike to sing lead! >Woah! Let's not get crazy here! :) A high school friend and I always thought TmBg would be interested if They added a female member, that perhaps sang some vocals...what do ya think? Granted, several songs do have little pieces of female vocals, but really nothing substantial. >You're all missing the one point. TMBG is far from rock. It's a little >something called New Wave. If you'd like to get even more specific it's New >Wind. It's a musical genre with no boundaries, and the only wispy >limits are that they don't stick to a damn thing. They are everything and >anything and nothing at the same time. Each song is a seperate entity unto >itself. Most of Their material, however, can very easily be placed in the general rock genre. The most obvious are found on JH and FS, like Till My Head, NYC, XTC vs AA, Sleeping, Snail Shell, No One Knows my Plan, etc... These are all very definitely rock, and rock is what They do most often. >Real musicians don't repeat >themselves. And that is what our Giants have done. They've undergone >change simply because Their ideas are not limited. If Factory Showroom's >content is more "acceptable" than that of Their previous records, it's >just happened that way. I do not believe in the slightest bit that the >Johns are worrying about being more popular. Personally, I think They want a big hit. I also think that number of ppl that don't take Them seriously is so considerable that They may never have a big hit (beyond Ana Ng's college popularity and Birdhouse's big break in '90 in England), just because They're They Might Be Giants and have the history that They have. Then there's the argument that says that the new stuff is just TmBg changing stylistically. People who defend this argument usually go on to say something like: 'What, would you prefer if They went on releasing TmBg's and Lincolns the rest of Their careers?' These ppl don't understand that one of the main reasons Lincoln and TmBg are such amazing albums is not merely because of the particular music contained within, but because they are so stylistically daring and original. The new ones (FS and JH in particular) have lost some of this daring quality, and are a 'safer' bet on Their part rather than really cutting-edge musical creations. When people like me say that we wish that They'd make records more like Their early ones, we aren't saying that They should break out Lincoln and copy it, repeating the same ideas and musical patterns over and over again (like bush, silverchair, offspring do), but rather that They need to go back and make records as groundbreaking and new as the first couple. Change isn't good when you're changing from a dynamic, creative, genious band and into a more standard, run-of-the-mill band that releases albums not up to Their early standards. Thanks for listening, and no, I don't think TmBg has run into a wall creatively, I still think They are an extremely good band, just not as good as They used to be in many respects. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9704171321.AA08857@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:05:04 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: nonTMBG: Magnetic Fields, the Bottle Rockets I remember that way back when when the Magnetic Fields opened for TmBg a whole lot of ppl thought they were terrible...and if they were, it must have been just a really bad performance, cause I finally picked up one of their records (Holiday) and it is amazing! I can't believe TmBg fans didn't like this stuff! Really odd and interesting lyrics, almost cute electronic backgrounds and music, and a really cool voice. I highly recommend this album, though I really don't have that great of a feel for Magnetic Fields' music as a whole, so I couldn't say which album y'all should go out and buy. Stephin Merritt, who is the main creative genious behind the Magnetic Fields also put out a disc for the Hello cd of the month club playing as The Gothic Archies. This is what got me into his music, and it is also an amazing disc. And on a less-tmbg related note (the previous only being related cause the Fields opened for Them), the Bottle Rockets are releasing a new album this June, and I feel it is my responsibility to all of you to recommend this absolutely marvellous band. I love them to no end, and chances are their next album will be a major breakthrough into mainstream alternative rock. They had a mini-hit called Radar Gun about a year back from their album 'The Brooklyn Side,' an amazing album everyone should own. Telling people about the Bottle Rockets is my personal crusade, and now I've told you, so check 'em out! :) Good morning! Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704171431.KAA11832@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:28:18 EDT From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: RE: TMBG: JUMPING GENRES zink wrote: >>You're all missing the one point. TMBG is far from rock. It's a little >>something called New Wave. If you'd like to get even more specific it's New >>Wind. It's a musical genre with no boundaries, and the only wispy >>limits are that they don't stick to a damn thing. They are everything and >>anything and nothing at the same time. Each song is a seperate entity unto itself. I know we've gone back and forth and round and round about how TMBG is categorized, but they are definitely not new wave, and new wave wasn't a "boundless" musical genre. New wave was just as rigidly-defined as any other genre, and like alternative and today's other genres, just as many bands were mislabeled as New Wave in an effort to easily pigeonhole them. The Johns only started playing music together as New Wave was fizzling out, if my sense of history is at all accurate. I'll admit never hearing the term New Wind. Is this a category developed just for TMBG? One of the biggest problems TMBG faces in breaking through to the masses is the fact that it doesn't adhere to any one genre. The band wants to explore anything that is different or new to them. Top 40 stations and the general public don't like that--if it's not "rock" or "pop" or "alternative" or "jazz," it makes them uncomfortable. It's the same reason that nearly every disc review you read contains a reference to some other band or song: "X sounds like Y." It's natural to need some footing when jumping into something new. If you've only heard one song, you like to know how the rest of the disc stacks up; if you're not familiar with a band or musical genre, a comparison between bands might be informative for you. Unfortunately, for a band like TMBG, genres only limit and disrespect the band. TMBG has so much to offer, but end up being labeled as a humor or novelty act because they "seem" funny (aka they're not "humor" but what the hell do we call them?) Peace, Brett now playing: U2, _Pop_ ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Thu, 17 Apr 97 08:40:49 MDT Message-Id: <9704171440.AA01874@hops> Subject: TMBG: Bar-None Video Compilation I also ordered the video compilation from TMB Productions last December. Just last week they sent the check back, saying it was out of stock. And they enclosed a couple of TMBG stickers as consolation. Since it's no longer available, I'm planning on including the videos on the TMBG Video Bootleg Vol. 3. Who has the videos? I need the following items: Hotel Detective Ana Ng They'll Need A Crane (I have the other videos, but I would be glad to get better copies of them.) I'll trade one of my videos for a good copy of the Videos collection. I've never seen them except in brief clips. :( ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:08:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Kenyon stuff Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: ** TMBG concerts and a Rugburns concert. Let's get a meeting place organized ** so we will know who each other are! Oh Tiiiiiimmmm, where is a good place to meet? ** Also, when are most of you planning to be there? I would like to get there ** at the beginning and stay for the whole thing. That would be so cool. I ** have a bunch of friends who are driving there but they all want to leave ** later, so that sux. We're coming from the Cleveland area. I'm planning to get there early-ish, and I'm coming from Cleveland. Do you want a ride? If so, where do you actually live. RS ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: I'VE GOT IT!!!!!! Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:15:11 -0700 >---------- >From: The Gottschalks[SMTP:gotts@tenet.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 1997 2:48 PM >To: Buster T. Bunny >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: I'VE GOT IT!!!!!! > >Well, this little idea of mine never fails. I do, however, have to assume >that you are sitting next a friend. Here it is: After the person delivers >the insult, give them a quick smirk, and then turn and whisper to your >friend "Act like I'm saying something really funny about him." That's >what you do, Buster! >-Mark One problem.... That first requires a friend, and then requires this friend to be on-hand... Jesse, not to be mistaken for a serious post. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:23:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: RE: TMBG: Kids Particle Man Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Matthew James wrote: ** The only anomaly I can think of on T:TEY is the Schoolchildren singing ** Particle Man. It goes against the whole idea, it is not a song created ** in the Early years, but was intended for Flood (although it could have ** been made a while before Flood came out), an Elektra album. A) How do you know it was 'intended for Flood?' Maybe it was a DAS song that some teacher heard and wanted his kids to sing. Maybe it was from the early years, in which case it DOES NOT go against the whole idea, as if you really know what the 'whole idea' TMBG had in mind when making the album was. In that case, it would be the same as Which Describes How You're Feeling ** Which Describes How You're Feeling. This song was created a long ** time before Apollo 18 ever came out. Now you could say, Which Describes ** How You're Feeling was intended for Apollo 18 which is true, but unlike B) How do you know that they intended to put it on A18? When they wrote the song, did they say "You know, some time in the future, we'll make an album, around 1992, and we'll put this song on it! It'll be perfect!" I really fail to see what you're talking about. Also, when are they going to release Schoolchildren otherwise? What other place would be good to put it? I think this was the perfect place, because it doesn't stick out much at all, except for you guys complaining about how it taints the record with Elektra or something like that. Putting it as a B-side would just ruin the quality of that B-side, rather than serving as an OK addition to a disk full of insane-sounding material. RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:31:17 -0400 From: rplass@schicktech.com Message-Id: <199704171531.LAA13468@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From rplass@schicktech.com Apr 17 11:31:39 1997 Received: by schicktech.com via SMTP; 17 Apr 1997 11:31:39 EST for tmbg-list@tmbg.org To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: What to say Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 17 Apr 1997 11:29:53 EST Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. X-Mailer: SpinMail/32 (tm) 2.091 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Comment: Sent Using Spinmail THE UUCP/SMTP/POP3 <-> MS-Mail/Exchange Gateway. http://www.spinmail.com Hello exquisite living people, Long time no post, been busy with Lauren (my gal) moving in with me and trying to get settled in with my new job. So hello again to my old friends and hello to you new elp's. Note my new e-mail address. WHAT TO SAY TO TMBG HATERS: Look, TMBG is the greatest band ever. There are some other great bands out there, but come on, they're not TMBG. We all know this. There are those out there who have not discovered this fact, and well, we have to deal with them. How do I deal with them? Well, first off, I DON'T go around saying unproductive things like: "You don't know who They Might Be Giants are?" "Well, I do, I have all their albums, go to all their shows, wear hats, and since I'm a big fan, squirmy snarfocupi biddle up my squidpot and try to refangulate my astroscapulectomy!! Chess Piece Face!! 87 Advil!! Hoooo!!" "See? I say stuff that is witty and weird and those are good things and that's what TMBG is all about! So, by the way, why do you think fans of TMBG are strange and why do I spend so much time convincing people like yourself that I am not normal and simultaneously take great pride in the fact that I am not normal but actually suffer a strange kind of social detachment that has far reaching effects in my real life because of this feeling that I am straddling an intersection of two fences dividing my mind into four quadrants separating my desires to be normal, my desires not to be normal, the shame and humiliation of having to interact in the real world with normal people and the pride of being not normal in the warm and glowing illuminated manner as exemplified through the song and inevitable culture that has arisen surrounding the band otherwise known as They Might Be Giants?" Okay, get my point? I enjoy spreading "the word" that TMBG is a great band, and people won't listen to a putative evangelist who speaks like that. So, make intelligent conversations with people, but avoid word games and mind tricks and trying to convince people that you're weird and that is good, b/c that will just perpetuate the disparaging myth that TMBG fans in fact are just silly and lame. We should all be proud to be TMBG fans b/c TMBG makes excellent quality music with intellectual and powerful lyrics over a wide range of musical genres. TMBG music sells itself because it is great. I take this optimistic, positive approach to TMBG Haters and have successfully converted many people around me by just being excited and upbeat about Them. Yes! Go TMBG! John and John Rule! Bob Plass * ------------------------------------------------------- "Say Hi to all the TMBG computer people or whatever they call themselves" - - - Lauren, my gal. ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: Remixes/bluh Date: 17 Apr 1997 09:59:55 GMT Message-ID: <5j4sar$171$2@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article <199704160817.EAA20767@ussodyssey.ufp.org>, "Pooh Head Bucket?" writes: > The best TMBG remix is the promo-only "Racist Friend." No question. It was also a b-side on the commercially available UK 12" of Birdhouse. Daniel ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg: elektra vs. restless Date: 17 Apr 1997 10:03:44 GMT Message-ID: <5j4si0$171$3@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article , "McClusky, Jesse" writes: > You know, it's kinda funny... No one ever mentions this, > but Miscellaneous T was released a year AFTER Flood. > Just thought I'd bring that up... (:> While this is true, it is also not true. Misc.T is almost the same as "Don't Let's Start", a European-only compilation that was released in 1989, so BEFORE flood. It has all the same tracks, except that "Hello Radio" is missing. Jut thought I'd correct you. (:> Daniel ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704171551.AA18364@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: RE: TMBG: Kids Particle Man Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:51:49 -0400 (EDT) > ** The only anomaly I can think of on T:TEY is the Schoolchildren singing > ** Particle Man. It goes against the whole idea, it is not a song created > ** in the Early years, but was intended for Flood (although it could have > ** been made a while before Flood came out), an Elektra album. > > A) How do you know it was 'intended for Flood?' Maybe it was a DAS > song that some teacher heard and wanted his kids to sing. Maybe it was from > the early years, in which case it DOES NOT go against the whole idea, as if > you really know what the 'whole idea' TMBG had in mind when making the album > was. In that case, it would be the same as Which Describes How You're Feeling > > ** Which Describes How You're Feeling. This song was created a long > ** time before Apollo 18 ever came out. Now you could say, Which Describes > ** How You're Feeling was intended for Apollo 18 which is true, but unlike > > B) How do you know that they intended to put it on A18? When they > wrote the song, did they say "You know, some time in the future, we'll make > an album, around 1992, and we'll put this song on it! It'll be perfect!" I > really fail to see what you're talking about. Also, when are they going to > release Schoolchildren otherwise? What other place would be good to put it? I > think this was the perfect place, because it doesn't stick out much at all, > except for you guys complaining about how it taints the record with Elektra > or something like that. Putting it as a B-side would just ruin the quality of > that B-side, rather than serving as an OK addition to a disk full of > insane-sounding material. 1) I agree with you on the notion that T:TEY is the best place to put Schoolchildren Singing Particle Man. I said this in my post. 2) When I say that a song is intended for an album, I mean that it was put on that album, so when they went about compiling the songs for each album, they saw Apollo 18 as the best place to put Which Describes How You're Feeling. This version is the early demo version and I see why they put it on T:TEY. 3) Now I had been under the impression that Schoolchildren Singing Particle Man had not been made that long ago (maybe in 1996) and thus I thought it strange that they might try to call this an Early Years song. If I'm incorrect about this and it was indeed made in the 1980s please correct me. My point is, Particle Man was not on an Early Years album (Lincoln, self-titled, or Misc T) nor was Schoolchildren Singing Particle Man made in the early years so in no way is it connected to the Early Years. More important than whether the actual song was created in the 80s or not is the fact that this new version wasn't created in the Early Years. Again, if I am wrong about this and the Schoolchildren Singing was done in the 80s please correct me. /Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 07:55:40 -0800 (AKDT) From: ".stuff" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-106 Message-ID: First off, I have to admit, that I'm new to all of this... but I am, as I'm sure most of you are too, a die-hard TMBG fan. My friends and I (way up here in Alaska) are constantly trying to analyze the meaning of TMBG songs. I often wonder if they are worded that way just because it rhymed or because there is another "larger than life" meaning behind all of their songs. It can be interpreted any way. I am interested in how everbody feels about that. I love TMBG because there is nobody else like them, they are truly original. Also because their songs are wonderful, I love their diversity! :) My favorites are "Rhythm Section Want-Ad," "I Pallindrome I," and "Ana Ng," just to name a few. Thanks for listening! BreeAnn ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ @-'-,--- ~ ~ No matter where you go ... ~ ~ There you are. ~ ~ ---,-'@ ~ ~ ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704171653.QAA11452@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:57:05 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Hey everybody! I had a fab easter, I got sent Then, CDNow haaven't charged me, and it was my birthday!! So now I'm back, reading your mail and seeing this incident. > In school the other day (im a junior in h.s.) I was playing chess > with my friend, and this guy who had noticed the TMBG factory logo > patch on my bookbag comes up to me and says "What's M-T-G-B"? When I > told him he groaned and said "Oh yeah, They Might Be Good, if they > could play anything. They friggin' suck!" So I said the first thing > that come to my mind, which was something along the lines of a > weak-hearted "um, no...". (If this kid had been smaller than me I > would've thought up some clever insult for him, but he outweighs me > by like 50 pounds...) He then proceeded to tell me how they had no > musical talent, and to make his point even clearer, informed me of > their suckiness again. I get that. Mostly from close friends who get pissed with me playing it when they are around, or just irritants who are into Boyzone or 3T or something. I just look at them and go, sorry I guess they're just for people who can think. or generally tell them to go fuck of and listen to what ever they want to and leave me alone. Usually I tell people they are great and they play it and die in riducule, usually in the shape of my CD playing being turned off. Don't worry about. They will all be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. BTW My ex-girlfriend hats TMBG in all shaapes and forms. She doesn't even find the Kitten intro amusing or anything. She thought I am not your broom was intensly sad. She split up from me the day I got Then in the post. I just needed dto tell people about that. Regards, Jon ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:01:06 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: a little review Message-ID: In case anyone's interested, here's a review of THEN I found in the Daily at the University of Washington. Make of it what you will. (example: print it out and make a little paper hat out of it.) "They Might Be Giants has re-released four EP's, two LP's, nine previously unreleased tracks and a partridge in a pear tree on a two-disc CD set. Ninety percent of the tracks are great, but only someone who doesn't already own Lincoln or They Might Be Giants or an insane fan would buy the album. "Aside from marketing concerns, the release Then: The Earlier Years is wonderful. It features all the same old sci-fi, bizarre psychology and primitive techno TMBG has become famous for. Strangely enough, the best cuts come from the EP B-sides. The rockin' "Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal" and "We're the Replacements" are refreshing breaks from the sometimes hypnotically boring drum machine and accordion songs featured on classics like "Don't Let's Start." "The best thing about TMBG has always been the band's weirdly insightful lyrics. The irony of "Kiss Me, Son of God" is too much to let pass on by without a second glance and a chuckle. "I built a little empire out of some crazy garbage/Called the blood of the exploited working class/ ...Now you're the only one left/ Who can tell me if it's true/ That you love me, and I love me." "Play it again, Giants." -Brendon Kiley Hooray for insane fans! I can't quite tell how much he actually likes Then. Hypnotically boring? Yeah, I got your refreshing break right here, buddy. :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ "I'm the man. You know when people say, 'you're the man?' I'm the guy they're talking about." -Alec Wilmart --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:13:26 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: Re: a little review Message-ID: ACK! Wait! I forgot the most important part of that review: The title! Under the heading "They Might Be Giants, it was called: "They Might Be Giant Frogs Leaping Out of The Sea And Grabbing Your Hair Until You Can't Sleep Because Of The Pain And Yowling You're Doing CD Review" -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ "I'm the man. You know when people say, 'you're the man?' I'm the guy they're talking about." -Alec Wilmart --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704171849.AA18544@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: show of hands Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:49:38 -0400 (EDT) Do we have a show of hands of folks going to either the Western MD College show or the Bohager's show in Baltimore, or anyone going to both? /Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:53:19 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <3356719F.21C2@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Thread mania Okay... It's the early years of the schoolchildrens' lives...therefore it can be put on a 'Early Years' album... Now shush already...can't they break the rules a few times? I get generally pissed off when someone makes fun of the Giants..and I start making fun of their music... I'm not saying that this is the best way to deal with it, and I know two wrongs don't make a right...but most of today's music is so bad anyway, it's fun to make fun of it, and if it's at a tmbg-hater's expense, so be it What Birdhouse is this? with a remix on it? I have a Birdhouse/Hot Cha tape...calling itself the Birdhouse single and was not aware that were other versions, please enlighten me As far as the other remixes go, I don't like listening to the Istanbul remix...the World's Address remix is tolerable...Devil went down to Newport is such a cool song to begin with, they couldn't go too wrong with the remix...and the rest I just don't listen to enough to have an opinion on... Genres: no comment. later-hosen Whim [ currently listening to:Caribou.Pixies ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:25:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Insulting TMBG Message-ID: Well, I remember what I did to my cousin. I thought he would like TMBG. I put John Henry into his CD player and just started it up. He said "What the fuck is this shit? Get it out of my CD player. Turn it off NOW!" So I thought that was a loss. Then I said to him, quoting the newsletter "Well, you know, if you're not ready for a challenging and different song, you're just not going to like them, so maybe I just won't even bother." That really got him. He agreed to listen to some of their stuff, and now he loves them (I gave him a 110 min tape with various songs on it). This probably only works with intelligent people. But, then, if the people aren't intelligent, I would just tell them that I like TMBG and really don't care much about what they think, since they probably don't have anything to base their opinion on anyway, and ask them if they have any knowledge of what makes musical skills, and why they don't think TMBG have any. Or, in a worse mood, I might tell them A) The band you listen to (WARNING: the following part of this sentence contains offensive material. Do not read it if you are under the age of 18, get motion sick, have a heart condition, are Catholic, and/or get offended easily.) chews rotten, wart-covered monkey penis and isn't worth wasting the plastic that CDs are printed on, and B) Maybe if you pulled your head a little farther out of your ass you would be able to see how stupid you are. * * Note: I would suggest not using these two unless you are sure you'll be intact afterwards. Otherwise, have fun. :) RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970417154725.00e2f7d8@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:47:25 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: stuff (long?) well.... particle man: I say, they put it on Then for whatever reason. Probably just to get it released, and this was the thing they were releasing at the moment (personally, I think it would be better on an ep, rather than the closing song on their Big Big CD), but it doesn't matter, they can do whatever they want. I think bands should not _try_ to do what their fans (or the general public) like. They should be saying, "here's something we made, if you like it, fine, if not, fine; but it doesn't matter 'cause we had fun making it" (note: there was something like this said by Ben Folds (of ~ Five) in an interview I read... And I think this is really the way it should be. This is one of the reasons BF5 is probably my favorite band, they don't care what _we_ think. TMBG does, I think; why else would they make S~E~X~X~Y and Snail Shell as singles? (As opposed to better songs, though maybe not as 'mainstream' such as Metal Detector or Sleeping in the Flowers) Speaking of that, I think Metal Detector would be a much better song for a single than SEXXY: It's different. People would hear it and think "That's different" ........ but they'd also fall into the same thinking as 'floodies' (note: I don't care if you just like flood. If you like it 'cause it's 'funny' then good for you.) ...... Metal Detector could be perceived as funny, a song about a metal detector. Oh well. Also, people who don't like TMBG: why does it bother you? People like what they like. They (the people) saying They (the band) suck isn't any worse than you people complaining about Marilyn Manson. Then reviews: most o these reviews seem way too positive. (conspiracy! conspiracy!) Anyhow, most of the tracks on Then: are good, but a lot of them aren't great, and are worth skipping. I was reading the bio info on CDNow, (or AMG) and it calls them (or maybe it was an interview...) the success story of the late 80s? If they are so successful (DLS, Ana Ng) then why does everyone in my age group (h. s. age) only know them by Flood? (which puts them at a disadvantage, because of preconceived notions, unlike Ben Folds Five, where you'll say "Ben Folds Five" they'll say "Who?" rather than "Oh yeah.... Particle Man, great song" >>>but most of today's music is so bad anyway, it's fun to make fun of it<<< if you can't find enough good music to satisfy your ears, you obviously aren't looking hard enough. cheers -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970417150425.2727c47c@uwec.edu> From: Kris Lange Subject: TMBG: New stuff, Brian Dewan, and other stuff. Date: Thu, 17 Apr 97 15:05:43 -0500 Hi kids. I have been on the list now for over a week and said nothing so I thought it was about time. I really like all the comebacks to all the people ripping on TMBG. I love Them and get that shit a lot too. I was wondering what everybody thinks of Brian Dewan. I think he is great but my friends won't let me play him around them since they think he is the worst musician that ever walked the earth. I thought he was great when he opened for TMBG and so did all my friends. But that was high school and now I get to college and all my friends hate him. Tell me what you all think. I am kind of afraid to ask this question since you guys might rip on me so please be nice cuz I am new here. Well here goes: I was on the net looking up some TMBG stuff, as usual, and I stumbled upon a page that had some rumored releases. It said there maybe was going to be a new b-side album coming out with some stuff form the later years. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called or where I found it. I just tried looking for it in the unofficial TMBG page's links but gave up in frustration. Can someone please fill me in to what that all is. If it is true I sure hope that Older and Counterfeit Faker are on it cuz I want them so bad that it hurts. Does anyone know were I could get the Istanbul single cuz I have heard that it is out of print. I think the only released song, legally that is, I don't have is Stormy Pinkness and what ever else that I am forgetting that is on the Istanbul single. I thought everyone might want to know that I am getting a band together that will go by the name Tabloid Footprints. No we are not going to be a TMBG rip-off band but we might cover "It's Not My Birthday" since it is my favorite. If you have heard the old Ned's Atomic Dustbin stuff you might have a little bit of an idea what we might sound like but I am going for lots of styles. I play bass and sing a little and the rest of the band will consist of a lead singer/keyboardist, guitarist, drummer, and another bassist. So far I have every member except for the second bassist. So if you are in northwestern Wisconsin (Eau Claire) next school year I'm sure we'll be playing some shows. I stop talking now since I'm sure you are getting sick of me. But please answer my questions if you can so I know what is going on. Later Kids! * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Kris Lange langekr@uwec.edu "I'm one piece short of legoland" -Ned's Atomic Dustbin "When this grey world crumbles like a cake I'll be hangin from the hope that I'll never see that recipe again" -They MIGHT BE Giants * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704172022.PAA67400@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:17:22 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Thread mania the "devil went down to newport" remix that you mention is not a remix. it is simply another version. a remixed song and a redone song are not the same thing. if this was true, that new version of the violent femmes' "blister in the sun" with the horns (on the grosse pointe blank soundtrack) would be a remix. woo-hah. geoffy finally listening to "pop" by U2 currently. At 02:53 PM 4/17/97 -0400, you wrote: >As far as the other remixes go, I don't like listening to the Istanbul >remix...the World's Address remix is tolerable...Devil went down to >Newport is such a cool song to begin with, they couldn't go too wrong >with the remix...and the rest I just don't listen to enough to have an >opinion on... >later-hosen >Whim >[ currently listening to:Caribou.Pixies ] >http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704172028.PAA39534@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:23:19 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: kids with that there particle guy did no one read the liner notes? it seems pretty clear that tmbg released "schoolchildren singing..." because they wanted to know who had made the recording. they had lost all record of who had sent it, as it was floating around *forever*. besides, it's the very last song on the set, and not a big deal to skip over (although i never do). they probably wanted to make it avaliable on something that lots of people would buy, not just as an ep b-side that few would hear. geoff At 03:47 PM 4/17/97 -0400, you wrote: >particle man: >I say, they put it on Then for whatever reason. Probably just to get it >released, and this was the thing they were releasing at the moment >(personally, I think it would be better on an ep, rather than the closing >song on their Big Big CD), but it doesn't matter, they can do whatever they * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 16:11:03 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Other Singers, Rock, TmBg's New Music Tendancies Message-ID: I personally haven't noticed anyone become a TMBG fan as a result of the more "acceptable" styles of JH and FS. I think They are just as creative and daring as They used to be, just not in the same way. I think the last two albums have taken a step into more complex instrumentation. Their earlier albums and Their most recent albums, as I see it, are equally matched in quality and creativity, but non-comparable. This is usually said about different bands, but I think They've been so successful in changing through the years that They ARE like a different band now. By the way, those were excellent examples of sorry bands. Retal, Mark ------------------------------ Message-ID: <335693BC.5C12@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:18:52 -0700 From: Jordan David Maynard Subject: Re: TMBG: New stuff, Brian Dewan, and other stuff. Kris Lange wrote: > ....I love Them and get that shit a lot too. > I was wondering what everybody thinks of Brian Dewan. I think Brian Dewan is great! I just ordered his "tells the story" LP and hopefully I will be getting it in the mail *any day now* (#$%*#@ U.S. post) I also wish I had had the forethought to sign up to Hello earlier so I could also have his earlier EPs (maybe Hello will release an EP collection: Misc. B?) Anyways, what I _really_ want is a copy of a few songs he played opening for They in Palo Alto on 3/13, that as far as i can tell aren't availible on any of his recordings, namely: 'big rock candy mountain' and 'ted kennedy jig' and one about worshiping false idols (sorry i didnt catch the name of the song, but it blew my mind `;) > But that was high school and now > I get to college and all my friends hate him. I solve this problem by not having any friends. `;) JDM ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3356BA8B.1A6D@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:04:27 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Merendino Cortese wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > anyone ever heard them called the Mighty Mighty Giants? > you could tell this guy was NOT listening > > -- > Merendino Cortese > TheDon@pulp-fiction.com--www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ > Merendino@thepentagon.com > merendino@geocities.com > mattm@mixcom.com > 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week > --- " If the shoe fits... " (Tastey Cement Services) --- The Mighty Mighty Giants? Do they open for They Might Be Bosstones? -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3356BC66.650@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:12:22 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Other Singers, Rock, TmBg's New Music Tendancies > >> I'm inclined (like the angle?) to opt for the latter of the above. I mean, I > >> woulnd't mind in the slightest if someone other than the Johns stepped up to > >> the mike to sing lead! > > >Woah! Let's not get crazy here! :) > > A high school friend and I always thought TmBg would be interested if They > added a female member, that perhaps sang some vocals...what do ya think? > Granted, several songs do have little pieces of female vocals, but really > nothing substantial. Maybe They can add Karen... ...no, then she would get lynched by all the female John admirers at concerts... ;) -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:27:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Other Singers, Rock, TmBg's New Music Tendancies Message-ID: Id be leading this mob!!! At least at all New England shows..... KAtie On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, vlad_drakul wrote: > > >> I'm inclined (like the angle?) to opt for the latter of the above. I mean, I > > >> woulnd't mind in the slightest if someone other than the Johns stepped up to > > >> the mike to sing lead! > > > > >Woah! Let's not get crazy here! :) > > > > A high school friend and I always thought TmBg would be interested if They > > added a female member, that perhaps sang some vocals...what do ya think? > > Granted, several songs do have little pieces of female vocals, but really > > nothing substantial. > > > Maybe They can add Karen... > > ...no, then she would get lynched by all the female John admirers at concerts... ;) > -- > Vladimir Drakul > ******************************************************************* > *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * > * -Milton * > * * > *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * > * -John Stange * > * * > *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * > * -George Hartnell * > * * > *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * > * -TMBG * > * * > *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * > * -John Flansburgh * > * * > *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * > * -Carl Sagan * > ******************************************************************* > ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199704180033.TAA25505@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: TMBG: Yet More Purdue Evidence Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:33:57 -0500 (EST) Today's copy of the campus newspaper had a picture of the Johns with a caption saying that TMBG will play a free concert on Slayter Hill on April 27. So, it's sounding more and more like the show will actually happen and like it should be pretty accessible, regardless of one's academic affiliations. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 20:05:29 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: hammer down/'64 world's fair Message-ID: About the whole dealing-with-tmbg-haters thing...you know, it's funny--over the past year, I seem to have met an awful lot of TMBG fans. It's really weird, because I could have sworn that there were maybe six people in the state of Nebraska who owned *any* Giants album besides Flood. Just yesterday, my wipe-off marker board on my door said "hammer down, rabbit ears" on it (I can't remember why I wrote that on there, but I did), and somebody actually knocked on my door to tell me that he understood it! Then, maybe an hour later, I heard someone else walking by who apparently read my board and started singing Rabid Child as she went on down the hall! Bizarre. :) Oh, and by the way, I found a web page that's all about the '64 World's Fair! I have a link to it now on my tmbg page (it's kinda low-content at the moment...my page, I mean, not the world's fair one) if you wanna see it. --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:08:07 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970417220623_-435027385@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT holdup-- please read if you want one OK, I just thought you all might like a little update. I visited the shirt place yesterday, where I learned that the joker I talked to on the phone actually had *not* taken down the information I gave him. He also gave me wrong informatin about what format design to bring. So I had to re-order there at the desk with a very nice lady who actually seemed competant, and I could not get them to start work on the shirts because of two things the jerk did not tell me: 1) The design has to be on disk, or else you have to bring it as a ridiculously complicated set of papers with each having a seperate color, etc etc... so basically, I will have to bring the design in on disk. That wouldn't be so bad-- I could bring it in next week and have them start work then, except that 2) They require a 50% deposit before they will begin work. Needless to say, I am very pissed off about not learning all this before, but I have learned my lesson and I will not conduct business with these people via phone any more. I will actually go there in person so we can work everything out. Anyhow, some good came of the visit... I was able to pick out the correct colors for the design, first of all. We're going with (as if you care) yellow, jade green, and bright blue. They look good together and they're all light enough to see black lettering on top of them. So, ah, that's that. There is another point that I learned which will probably not make any of you happy, but it does affect you, so listen up. Due to several factors, the price of your OMLT may be going up. It isn't much... hardly more than a dime, but I feel the need to explain why anyway. First of all, remember that $20 setup fee per ink color? Well, the dumb Phone Guy told me $80 total (4 colors-- duh). However, it turns out that the front of the shirt needs to be done seperately, even though it is only black ink. So the total setup fee will now be $100. That's part of it. Also, I should have realized this even though they didn't mention it-- there is tax. I feel stupid for forgetting this. So you'll be footing the bill for that, also, because I haven't got $53.80 just lying around to pay the VA state government. Anyway, there may be a very slight fluctuation in shirt orders, but if my current numbers are correct, your final OMLT price, per shirt, not counting the extra buck and a quarter for XXL, should be (drumroll).... $9.16 per shirt! That is *still* a bargain in my opinion. And remember, this is all going to the company-- in the grand tradition of Russ Josephson, I am not charging for my services, because I am such a magnanimous person (and modest, too). I ask only one favor as payment: please don't bug me about the time this is taking. Remember I am a high school junior, and I have hellish amounts of homework to contend with as well as this. I apologize for all the setbacks, but you *WILL* get your OMLT as soon as possible. Now, as for payment... (who to make the check out to, where to send it, etc) Well, there are several possibilities of what will happen. However, this mail is already too long, and I need to go get some more confirmations before I can even be sure of the final price. *Plus* there is shipping, which I plan to check on this weekend, when I will actually have time to do it. So just hold on few days, and I'll get back to you with the *really final* OMLT price. Yaaaay! --Christy ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704180211.AA18883@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: speaking of TMBG haters Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:11:23 -0400 (EDT) The only person I can think of that has ever said that they didn't like TMBG was a gal in Manhattan, NYC. Pretty wacky eh? /Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704180215.AA18894@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: OMLT holdup-- please read if you want one Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:15:44 -0400 (EDT) > because I haven't got $53.80 just lying around to pay the VA state > government. > Go to Delaware and get it done, whoo! no tax whoo hooo!! I hope you know I'm kidding ;) /Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 17 Apr 97 22:59 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: a little review >ACK! Wait! I forgot the most important part of that review: The title! >Under the heading "They Might Be Giants, it was called: > >"They Might Be Giant Frogs Leaping Out of The Sea And Grabbing Your Hair >Until You Can't Sleep Because Of The Pain And Yowling You're Doing CD >Review" Okay, with a title like that I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he was a fan. :) Don't ask me what I meant by that, 'cause I'm not really sure myself... Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBG haters Message-ID: <19970417.233247.5118.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:32:59 EDT Hello all you happy people! Anyway, I think the only surefire, foolproof way to definately turn someone into a fan is to drag their sorry ass to a concert! One of my friends said that They are awful, but when she came to a concert, she loved Them ever since. Also, she thinks Linnell is "dreamy." (gag me with a pitchfork) -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:57:41 -0600 (CST) From: "Francesca Parker" Message-Id: <46663.flparker@midway.uchicago.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.COM Ordering question In message Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:49:43 -0400 (EDT), Adam Tyner writes: > I sent a check, and as of last month, it hasn't gone through... I'm > guess I can assume it was either lost in the mail or they're being > extremely unprofessional... The least they could do is write me and say > that they're sold out... I seem to recall that, out of courtesy, they don't charge credit cards until they are actually filling the order - i.e. you don't have to pay interest on goods you won't receive for a few months. although I admit it's more annoying to have an un-cashed check floating around out there, it may be the same theory: they won't drain your account until they actual fill your order. and, since, as several people have said, they are notoriously slow, you could call if you're wondering, but you shouldn't give up hope. franny. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Date: Fri, 18 Apr 97 22:26:03 PDT | > anyone ever heard them called the Mighty Mighty Giants? | > you could tell this guy was NOT listening | | The Mighty Mighty Giants? | Do they open for They Might Be Bosstones? Nope, it's The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and They Might Be Giants TOGETHER on Stage (still not a ska band, though :) ... now THERE'S an interesting thought. Michelle "This is an insight into my life this is a strange flight I'm taking my true will carries me along" -- depeche mode ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-107 ******************************