Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 11 Sunday, 12 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: full bottle in front of me RE: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? TMBG: so let's get to the point TMBG: the pot of money is mine. TMBG: new sound TMBG: accordian? Hello! TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y 12" remixes TMBG: Uninformative Subject Matter that is long annoying and spelled incorrecly. TMBG: They Might Be Giants Re: TMBG: full bottle in front of me TMBG: The Statue Got Me High and Why Does The Sun Shine? Re: TMBG: accordian? Hello! RE: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? TMBG: I'm baa-ack! TMBG: Re: They Might Be Bones Re: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Bones Re: TMBG: accordian? Hello! Re: TMBG: accordian? Hello! Re: TMBG: full bottle in front of me Re: TMBG: Done someone wrong and I fear that it was me Re: TMBG: accordian? Hello! muted mtv; Re: TMBG: TMBG poll; orange juice voices Re: TMBG: full bottle in front of me non-TMBG: quiz bowls Re: TMBG: accordian? Hello! Re: TMBG: full bottle in front of me TMBG: java.remote.forward: Best whatever of 1996 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: full bottle in front of me Date: Wed, 08 Jan 97 13:30:00 P Message-Id: <32D76BFC@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> My friend Ken, and I were singing along to You rown worst enemy, and he accidently said Full frontal Labotomy instead of full bottle in front of me. I thought it was funny Brenden - nednerB reply to me 1st the the list ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: RE: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? Date: Thu, 09 Jan 97 10:56:00 P Message-Id: <32D77DAE@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> some one mentioned about racist friend being an earlier one. Actually, I think that RAcist Friend might be on the 1985 demo tape. And if you will remeber in the holiday newsletter from last year, they had a picture of a setlist from way back when, when they didn't even have an album out yet. And it had Racist Friend on it. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: so let's get to the point Date: Thu, 09 Jan 97 11:03:00 P Message-Id: <32D77DC3@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> So is there for sure, a date set for SUper fueled freak sickle??? I have heard many different dates, and I'm very confused. OH yeaa. chow brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ misuser of verbs I must be the smartest person in the world becuase I think squash sucks ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: the pot of money is mine. Date: Fri, 10 Jan 97 07:29:00 P Message-Id: <32D78EBC@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> Blackjack! I get the whole pot! what is it now? $12.38? brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: new sound Date: Fri, 10 Jan 97 13:14:00 P Message-Id: <32D79D7E@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> I was driving my friend home last night from diving, and I had FActory showroom on. He is a strong ANTI-TMBG, BUT he didn't realize that is what was playing. He was messing around with the bass and stuff and joking around about getting a good system in my truck when Pet NAme came on. THe pimp Bass line was playing and he said, Dude who is this. in a good "I like this" tone of voice. I said THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. And he was like NO WAY!!! Anyways, he had only heard some of flood. ie: whistlin gin the dark... etc. So anyways, their new sound is good. I like it alot!!! Plus it IS a bit more audio pleaseing to the genreal public . Anyways chow. Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ misuser of verbs I must be the smartest person in the world because I think squash sucks. Reply to me 1st the list 2nd BONUS .5 RUles!!! ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: accordian? Hello! Date: Fri, 10 Jan 97 13:14:00 P Message-Id: <32D79D87@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> Has any one noticed the lack of accordian on Factory Showroom? Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philbuster~ misuser of verbs reply to me 1st the list 2nd ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 15:02:18 +0100 (MET) From: Daniel Rodrigues Parreira Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y 12" remixes Message-ID: I just bought the S-E-X-X-Y 12" EP. It's got 5 remixes of the song and nothing else. Side A: Warren Rigg Microwave remix (same as CD5) Warren Rigg Instrumental (same but without words) Side B: Tee's Freeze Mix Tee's In House Dub Tee's Capella The "Capella" track is REALLY *BIZARRE*. It's got only the voice part of the song, no instruments. So sometimes there isn't *any* noise to be heard! Really weird... The cat.nr. is 0-63995 --Daniel Rodrigues Parreira (parreira@tmbg.org) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701111552.KAA07112@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 10:53:25 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: TMBG: Uninformative Subject Matter that is long annoying and spelled incorrecly. See? First of all, responding to the bands that opened for tmbg and have gone on to become bigger than them. 1. Wow, I didn't know the presidents opened for them, that's weird. 2. Another band to add The Cardigans 3. The exact same thing happens to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Second of all, what TMBG words do people have on their custom dictionsaries in word prosecors? I have: TMBG Flansburgh Linnell Cabbagetown Anyone else have anything else? Now my tree is gone, and only this remains. But I got a new quote! Rob Grabill X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ |||||||||| "Yo! Rumpsfield, what are you doing with the gun dude?" "Shut up and paint your goddam house!" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970111115058.006a2a28@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 11:51:01 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants Okay, this might have been disscussed before, but hey, I've been on the list a while and it hasn't come up... On the FAQ and here on the list everyone assumes that the name They Might Be Giants was just from the name of the movie, but couldn't the name, rather than taken from the movie, be taken from the same place the movie took it (like JKP references on NBC). From the FAQ: John Linnell explains: "It's the name of a movie made in the early seventies. We wanted a name that was outward-looking and paranoid." But couldn't he just be saying that? Like on the Elektra tmbg page: 2. Till My Head Falls Off Performed at the breakneck tempo of "classic new wave", this song is the harangue of an embattled old-timer who refuses to yield the floor. Chorus: "I'm not done, and I won't be till my head falls off." And... 5. Metal Detector Partly inspired by zealous guidebook to buried treasure in coastal Maine, the perspective of "Metal Detector" is that beach recreation is frivolous compared to the serious business of treasure hunting. Anyway, i have no idea what I'm trying to say. But They Might be Giants really is a fitting name, because they're not really super-popular, but they might be. Okay, nevermind. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 12:05:12 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: full bottle in front of me Message-ID: On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Rensink, Brenden BHS wrote: > My friend Ken, and I were singing along to You rown worst enemy, and he > accidently said > > Full frontal Labotomy > > instead of > full bottle in front of me. > > I thought it was funny uh huh...it's a song..."I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy." I heard it on Doctor Demento a long time ago. --Jack, happy as shit that Don and Mike are on WTAR. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg "When they look back and weigh everything he's done, they will realize: Nixon's the one Nixon's the one Nixon's the one"--J. C. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 12:10:02 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: The Statue Got Me High and Why Does The Sun Shine? Message-ID: I picked up The Statue Got Me High import and WDTSS at a local record store the other day (I was there to order Cub's "Box of Hair"). About the tape speed thing....on "I'm Def", the vocal track is really fucked up. Maybe this adds something to the whole thing....I dunno. I'll ask Myke who actually sang it. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg "When they look back and weigh everything he's done, they will realize: Nixon's the one Nixon's the one Nixon's the one"--J. C. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 12:10:04 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: accordian? Hello! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Jan-97 TMBG: accordian? Hello! by Rensink, Brenden BHS@bhs > Has any one noticed the lack of accordian on Factory Showroom? Lack? It's got more than John Henry - Metal Detector, James K. Polk, and I Can Hear You are three songs, as opposed to Subliminal and Meet James Ensor on John Henry. I think the freak flag part of HCISLAG might have some accordion in it, too. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970111124235.006e0074@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 12:42:37 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: RE: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? >think that RAcist Friend might be on the 1985 demo tape. It may be on A demo tape (e.g. the "Now That I Have Everything One") but it's not on the Hello released 1985 Demo Tape. =================================-----Jeff-Morrow-----====================== ============ jmorow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ============ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32D7C9BB.1CD1@baka.com> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 17:11:23 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: I'm baa-ack! Hello, hello. It's good to be back, it's good to be back. Anyways, I'm back from vacation, I have entirely too much homework to make up, and, as of today, I'm back on the list. Wonder if anyone noticed I left. Doubt it. Ah well. > > John Linnell explains: "It's the name of a movie made in the early > seventies. We wanted a name that was outward-looking and paranoid." > > But couldn't he just be saying that? The way the line is used in the movie, as a reference to Don Quixote, seems to be an awfully appropriate name. Don Quixote(or however you spell that) believed that windmills were giants. What the line is saying, at least in the movie, is to accept that the windmills might be, after all, giants, and that things may not be as they seem to most people. This seems to be an underlying philosphy of sorts behind TMBG music. "Look past the volleyball. Look past the squaking gull, ignore the mountain of discarded falderal"(a word I would never know without TMBG). Have a nice day. -- "You can all just kiss off in the air"-Violent Femmes Jonah, pig on the wing ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 17:25:29 -0500 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <32D81359.73A7@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Bones Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > > I had a Biology test today on locomotion (bones, muscles, etc...) I > So, I came up with this little trick to help me: > > Tendons Muscles Bones Great! > > The first letter of each word TMBG. This helped me on the test with several > questions that related to this. I came up with something like this to help me remember greek prefixes, using the band members. mono - Flans - duh di -Linnell- lots of his songs deal with death (some of my tricks are really, really dumb) tri -Brian- rhymes with "Bri" tetra-Graham- I have no idea, I just needed another band member penta-Eric - the gov't (pentagon) is out to get him for his crimes ;) hex- Tony - he's hexed, for some reason. Maybe 'cause Flans fired him dont' say I didn't warn you! It's dumb, but it also works! -Mismirilda ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 17:42:11 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970111174210_912017325@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Bones < I came up with something like this to help me remember greek prefixes, < using the band members. > Hey, that isn't dumb at all! I teach similar memory tricks to my students all the time. I tell them the closer it is related to something that matters to you, the more likely you will be to remember it. Viva le mnemonic devices! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 19:29:05 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: accordian? Hello! Message-ID: On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: ** > Has any one noticed the lack of accordian on Factory Showroom? ** Lack? It's got more than John Henry - Metal Detector, James K. Polk, ** and I Can Hear You are three songs, as opposed to Subliminal and Meet ** James Ensor on John Henry. ** I think the freak flag part of HCISLAG might have some accordion in it, too. Hmmmm. I don't think you were listening hard enough. Try Thermostat from JH. 3 accordion songs on each. Subliminal and Ensor have more accordion than ICHY (icky?) and Metal Detector. Freak flag part does not have accordion, unless _I_ wasn't listening hard enough. I'll check, but if I don't say anything more, there's no accordion. Semi-relatedly, I hear everyone bemoaning the 'loss' of the accordion, but not of the clarinet and sax. Doesn't anyone like those instruments? I love them, especially on JH, and on Turn Around. Incidentally, there sax makes a _tiny_ appearance on FS. I'm pretty sure it's just 2 notes, and they're really pretty tough to hear. Can anyone tell me where they are? RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970111194652.006a6b44@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 19:46:55 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: accordian? Hello! > Semi-relatedly, I hear everyone bemoaning the 'loss' of the accordion, >but not of the clarinet and sax. Doesn't anyone like those instruments? I love >them, especially on JH, and on Turn Around. Incidentally, there sax makes a >_tiny_ appearance on FS. I'm pretty sure it's just 2 notes, and they're really >pretty tough to hear. Can anyone tell me where they are? >RS > I like the trumpets, trombones, saxes, clarinets and all those other instruments a lot more than the accordian. The strings on FS are nice, but if they were gonna use strinmgs they should have used more of them. People were saying how the strings on XTCvsAA reminded them of Elenor Rigby... why?!? It's nothing like Elenor Rigby, the mixing on the strings isn't up loud enough (IMO) and I didn't even notice them until the second or third time I listened to that song. Elenor Rigby is all strings. Anyway, I wouldn't mind if they lost the accordian alltogether as long as they used some other instruments. I don't want them to become just another rock band. They need more horns (There's a tuba on ICHY, but that doesn't really count). They need more strings if they're gonna use them at all. Maybe they should (this would be really interesting) write a song and have it played by a symphony orchestra somewhere. Of course I'm not saying they should lose the accordian, for example, Istanbul sounds better with a violin and the accordian, it adds to the turkish theme (or something). -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701120350.WAA20093@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: full bottle in front of me Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 22:50:46 -0500 (EST) bluedawg write: > > Brenden wrote: > [...] > > Full frontal Labotomy > > > [...] > > uh huh...it's a song..."I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a > frontal labotomy." I heard it on Doctor Demento a long time ago. > Of course, it was already a very old and well-known joke when it was used in that song (tired and cliched, even, which was the point of its being the punchline of that long and arduous composition...) m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701120359.WAA20677@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Done someone wrong and I fear that it was me Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 22:59:24 -0500 (EST) Joshua Hall-Bachner writes: > > I was at "Big Lots" the other day, and sitting on the $1 tape shelf was > "Climax -- Precious and Few: The Hits." > What an amazingly apt title... was it a cassingle? m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701120402.XAA20912@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: accordian? Hello! Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 23:02:20 -0500 (EST) Brenden writes: > > Has any one noticed the lack of accordian on Factory Showroom? > Not a total lack - several songs have accordian, although it's not usually very prominent in the mix. m@t ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 23:13:54 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970111231353_1559816353@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: muted mtv; Re: TMBG: TMBG poll; orange juice voices >> > MTV on mute?????? >> > What's the point???? >> Listening to the radio. > >Radio? Surely you jest. Fill your CD player with Them, >instead. Or negativland. Anything that's not playing on MTV, >at least. Ah, but you don't have WBER. ;) The station that LOVES TMBG. >I'm new arround here and I'm wondering if someone can >enlighten me on the recent discussions of the list. Check the archives - www.tmbg.org. >Also, has anyone ever done a poll of favorite TMBG songs? Yes, many a time... >Heh heh. I impressed my Quiz Bowl coach yet *again* Hey, didn't anyone ever tell you quiz bowls are.... oh nevermind! (I couldn't let that one by! >well, if their voices were orange juice, Linnell would be >Tropicana with pulpy bits and Flans would be Hi-C. ROTFL! That is so... cool! :D I might not agree 100%,but I still like the analogy . Wait, I got it. Linnell is Tang. Yes. I luv that stuff. sarah, a wigged out *mama* with *red* on top (dyed my hair! ...) :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970111234039.006a5a84@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 23:40:42 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: full bottle in front of me >> > Full frontal Labotomy >Of course, it was already a very old and well-known joke when it >was used in that song (tired and cliched, even, which was the point >of its being the punchline of that long and arduous composition...) "A man of culture references..." -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 23:45:58 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: non-TMBG: quiz bowls Message-ID: > >Heh heh. I impressed my Quiz Bowl coach yet *again* > Hey, didn't anyone ever tell you quiz bowls are.... oh nevermind! (I couldn't > let that one by! Hmm... I just want to point out that quiz bowls are the funnest (yes, the funnest) form of high school competition ever. And I wasn't even that great at them. I only regret not doing enough of them. And maybe this isn't so non-TMBG: I bet that the Johns would do really well in a trivia competition. (But this is probably just my irrational "the Johns are awesome in every way" side of me speaking.) -Dan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32D87048.31DB@toothfairy.com> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 00:02:00 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That DO Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: Re: TMBG: accordian? Hello! > Has any one noticed the lack of accordian on Factory Showroom? I think its just that the accordians take a backseat on many songs, whereas accordians play more of a major role in older stuff. I think we should stop this thread with this post. Thank you for reading (if you did) If not, you are a scumsucking pig and deserve to die (Just kidding!) -- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire-----------------------------------------+ ^ ^ | | | | | | "The Johns created They Might | | | Be Giants to train the faithful. | | | One cannot go against the word of John." --->ME<- | | | | | | | | | | +----+-----That's not butter! ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 00:56:41 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970112005641_679518367@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: full bottle in front of me In a message dated 97-01-11 22:54:18 EST, coon@omni.cc.purdue.edu (Matthew Coon) writes: << > uh huh...it's a song..."I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a > frontal labotomy." I heard it on Doctor Demento a long time ago. > Of course, it was already a very old and well-known joke when it was used in that song (tired and cliched, even, which was the point of its being the punchline of that long and arduous composition...) >> I never would have caught these references. I love you, man!!!!! Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701120652.AAA06756@dns.top.net> From: "Tim Lloyd" Subject: TMBG: java.remote.forward: Best whatever of 1996 Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 00:49:10 -0600 Hey there, all. I don't think many of you are Omahans like myself, but it doesn't really matter. Send mail to JIMMINGE@aol.com telling him how great They are. Jim Minge is the writer for some weekly music column in the Omaha World-Herald, and he's taking votes for the best musicians of 1996. Please forgive any misinterpretations in the below letter to him. Tim Lloyd, omaha@tmbg.org (tlloyd@top.net) Flying Dragon Productions (fdp@juno.com) http://www.top.net/tlloyd "When they ask him, 'what other planet features this,' he replies, 'what other planet?!'" ---------- > From: Tim Lloyd > To: JIMMINGE@aol.com > Subject: Best whatever of 1996 > Date: Sunday, January 12, 1997 12:42 AM > > Well, I'd just like to cast 42,000 votes for They Might Be Giants as the > best artists of 1996. Despite reviews of their music being few and far > between -- and usually referring to them as "quirky" or "fun" or something > like that -- Brooklyn's self-proclaimed Twin Quasars of Rock have had an > excellent year. They released a new album, Factory Showroom, chock-full of > a wide range of music (most of which can be interpreted at least 12 > different ways) from an anthem to (as they put it) "getting it on," to love > songs that might not appear to be love songs, to tributes to the > Surrealists and James K. Polk, to warnings about clinging to commercialism > (one of which appeared on the Kids In The Hall: Brain Candy soundtrack), to > a song recorded on a wax cylinder at the Edison Laboratory in New Jersey. > They also embarked on a worldwide tour, starting off by opening for the > ever-dull, ever-repetetive, Hootie and the Blowfish. Their live show, > which performed sometime earlier this winter at the Civic opening for > Hootie, and which will hopefully return for a full set, was so full of > energy that Hootie etc. (for whom I did not stay to watch, but was forced > to listen to) seemed but an afterthought. They have opened their own web > site, www.tmbg.com, which is full of discography, assorted merchandise, and > a video clip of John Linnell (one of the Johns in this dynamic duo) arguing > with his broom. With seven albums under their might-be-giant belt, and a > 2-CD collection expected in February, Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love, > a.k.a. They Might Be Giants, are my pick for best musical whatchamacallit > of 1996. > > Tim Lloyd, omaha@tmbg.org (tlloyd@top.net) > http://www.top.net/tlloyd > "When they ask him, 'what other planet features this,' he replies, 'what > other planet?!'" > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-11 *****************************