Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-112 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 112 Wednesday, 23 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Upcoming shows and stuff like that. TMBG: calvin show!!!!!!! TMBG: Ponderings... TMBG: Chicago shows non-TMBG: SNZ, Big Head Todd, Acronyms Re: TMBG: Chicago shows TMBG: non-tmbg:Attention Heather Tinkler TMBG: bye for now WAY non-TMBG: SPAM TMBG: Calvin show!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Chicago shows Re: WAY non-TMBG: SPAM TMBG: re; TMBG o tannenbaum.... acronyms....stuff TMBG: Charleston sucks! Re: WAY non-TMBG: SPAM Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! TMBG: Charleston sucks! Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! TMBG: Hi again Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 02:49:25 -0400 (EDT) From: She Might Be Amy Subject: TMBG: Upcoming shows and stuff like that. Message-ID: Wow! After the incredible experiences and shows that have happened recently, I can only hope against hope that the shows this weekend will be that cool. I'm rather wary, though, because outdoor/festival shows seem to be different than regular concert stops and I really want to hear I Am Not Your Broom, b/c I never did get the movie to play. Plus, the shows seem so long....and if I'm driving 2+ hours each day to see shows, I want them to be good. (Not that they wouldn't be no matter what) (y'all know what I mean.) So yes, I'll be at Kenyon. I don't know what I'll be wearing -- geesh, I don't even know what I'm wearing *tomorrow* let alone this weekend. I'll try to make myself known. It will be hard to be inconspicuous with 2 Canadians, a bunch of Ohioans, and maybe some Indianans in tow. If you want to see what I look like, email me. The first name in music is John. Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Apr 97 02:57:51 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: calvin show!!!!!!! Message-Id: <970422.025945.EDT.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> hi all!! i just got back from the calvin show!!! it was *amazing*!!! i can't even describe how great it was, but i'm sure i'll go on in future messages because now it's quite late and time for me to start my jrn paper (ack!). the ppl i met there were, in true They-fan form, great! and fun! and wonderful! and all that stuff. :D They were great and the concert was even better than the last time i saw them. more to come!! peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 22 Apr 1997 17:11:20 +1000 Message-ID: <000D26F6.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: Ponderings... Just gotta make a quick comment about how much I love it when your email address gets changed without your knowing it... *sigh* Sorry to waste your bandwidth by that... I just wanted to whine to someone Umm, TMBG is good (does that make this They related now?) Andrew ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704221152.HAA05045@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 07:52:33 EDT From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: TMBG: Chicago shows Court wrote: Is anyone going to the 30th show in Chicago? I'll be there. Speaking of the Chicago shows, is anyone else shocked that the Giants haven't sold out two nights at Metro? Isn't the capacity only around 300? Peace, Brett ***Now playing: Urge Overkill - _Saturation_ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9704221253.AA29014@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 07:37:00 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: non-TMBG: SNZ, Big Head Todd, Acronyms >A group called Big Head Todd and the Monsters. >They were pretty good, but I had never heard of them before. Big Head Todd is a decent rock band...around here they are a heck of a lot bigger than TmBg...I find it quite odd that they were the ones opening. >Who is SNZ? STOP USING THESE FUCKING ANNOYING ACRONYMS!!!!!!!!!! People had said multiple times that SNZ stands for Squirrel Nut Zippers. If you'd pay attention, there wouldn't be a problem. Also, I'm quite fond of Acronyms...I find them to be startlingly fun. :) Email is all about word and character tricks, and Acronyms are half the fun. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 08:44:29 -0500 (CDT) From: Dan McNevin Subject: Re: TMBG: Chicago shows Message-ID: > Is anyone going to the 30th show in Chicago? > > I'll be there. Speaking of the Chicago shows, is anyone else shocked that the > Giants haven't sold out two nights at Metro? Isn't the capacity only around > 300? i'll be at both nights, i think the capacity crowd is actually like 600-700, i've been to sold out show there and they pack em in... dan ___ dan mcnevin | danlin@underworld.net cold meat productions | danlin@pimpz.org www.underworld.net/~danlin | danlin@acquiesce.org i've got a world that swings... | danlin@the-beatles.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704221800.LAA26180@f19.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:Attention Heather Tinkler Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:00:00 PDT Heather, the email addy you gave me keeps bouncing my mail. Please email me. Stasi * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970422105829.0070c410@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:58:36 -0700 From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: bye for now Hi everyone I'm leaving the list for a couple days, due to some account problems. If you must e-mail me (why, I dunno), please us my cs account: carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu Back in a few days! --nicole the wonder nerd *** Nicole Carlson nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970422142949.00f63e28@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:29:49 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: WAY non-TMBG: SPAM There's this one girl at my school who always wears a spam shirt, which is really quite fitting, because she's *very* ugly, and SPAM just seems to work with that. An um, also.... did we ever do anything about that idea for a "They Might Be Giants" mailing list, you know, one where people could talk about "They Might be Giants"?? I think that would be cool.... -ec "I feel like a hypocrite talking to you" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <335D443C.6BFD@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:05:32 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: Calvin show!!!!!!! > They were great and the concert was even better than the last time i > saw them. > more to come!! Well, let me say something. I was there, it was the first concert of TMBG I had ever seen, actually the first concert of any kind at all that I had ever seen. I am SO glad that it was They Might Be Giants. There was this band that opened for Them, which wasnt that bad. They were called "The Gravel Pit" but, the sticker on the keyboard said "The Grael Pit" which is what we called it from then on. They werent too bad. I get the feeling that it was some kind of local band, cause there were lots of people that were like calling out the band members names and such. I was disapointed to find out that Cub wasnt opening, but The Grael Pit was ok. I was just so anxious waiting for TMBG, I kept wishing for them to leave. When I first caught a glimpse of the accordian- ahh. Well, anyways, the show just blew me away. There were neato lights during particle man, (i.e. triangle lights during "triangle man" parts) which I thought was snazzy. And the conga line... MAN! THat was one of the single most entertaining experiences I have ever experienced. And I know other people have posted about "THE STICK" but I had no idea what exactly it was. Now I know, and I feel more complete as a human being. I can die peacefully now. And I met the coolest people. Actually, I was supposed to meet more, but I turns out I actually already knew some of them. Oh well! And, from singing and screaming at the top of my lungs, my voice was a little hoarse. But, I didnt care at all! Not at all! One of the greatest days of my life, had to share with someone that would care more than the superficial "so how was the concert? Oh thats nice." You know? Still giddy and doing the one man conga down the hallway- Kevin ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:10:18 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970422161016_-132532055@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Chicago shows I will be going to the Chicago show on the 29th ------------------------------ Subject: Re: WAY non-TMBG: SPAM Message-ID: <19970422.164302.5094.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:42:35 EDT >An um, also.... did we ever do anything about that idea for a "They >Might >Be Giants" mailing list, you know, one where people could talk about >"They >Might be Giants"?? I think that would be cool.... > Honestly, you people should have just a little more patience for non-TMBG posts. As some people said before, when you discuss stuff like music, other things will naturally come up. Why don't you want people to have any freedom of what to talk about? I do admit, the Marylin Manson thing went a bit overboard, but other than that, we should welcome the occasional stray. It's not like this has completely turned into a No Doubt or SPAM list. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: re; TMBG o tannenbaum.... acronyms....stuff Message-ID: <19970422.151511.13998.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:16:23 EDT >Who is SNZ? STOP USING THESE FUCKING ANNOYING ACRONYMS!!!!!!!!!! squirrel nut zippers RANDOM QUESTION OF THE DAY: who is *amy* in the star on the cover of the _O Tannenbaum_ EP??? all the other people are members of the band.. grrrr..... "I Palindrome I, Mr. 5th of July" love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:45:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199704222145.RAA10572@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: TMBG: Charleston sucks! Sorry to bug you guys, but I just need to blow off some steam that I'll never get to see Them in concert. The nearest place They played was in Charlotte on a Wednesday night(unless They played earlier on the tour), and I can't drive three and a half hours on a school night to see Them. Also, I was wondering if there are any other rabid They Might be Giants fans in Charleston(S.C.). Oh, well, maybe instead of using that college fund on "book learnin'", I'll just tail Them around on an entire tour. If you're in the Charleston area, please drop me a line. Marty "Son of God" Tomlinson ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:51:48 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: WAY non-TMBG: SPAM Message-ID: We ARE talking about TMBG-related things. What's the problem? Mark On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > There's this one girl at my school who always wears a spam shirt, which is > really quite fitting, because she's *very* ugly, and SPAM just seems to > work with that. > > An um, also.... did we ever do anything about that idea for a "They Might > Be Giants" mailing list, you know, one where people could talk about "They > Might be Giants"?? I think that would be cool.... > > -ec "I feel like a hypocrite talking to you" > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:24:09 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! Message-Id: Hey, I hear you. I live in Iowa, the butt crack of the country, and no one wants to come here to give a concert, much less They. Let us mourn together....*sigh* Tarnished Silence 210 =========================================================== == In the darkness == == In the depths of despair == == Beyond the tears and the pain == == There remains one, insane... == == == == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == == == =========================================================== On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Marty Tomlinson wrote: > Sorry to bug you guys, but I just need to blow off some steam that I'll > never get to see Them in concert. The nearest place They played was in > Charlotte on a Wednesday night(unless They played earlier on the tour), and > I can't drive three and a half hours on a school night to see Them. Also, I > was wondering if there are any other rabid They Might be Giants fans in > Charleston(S.C.). Oh, well, maybe instead of using that college fund on > "book learnin'", I'll just tail Them around on an entire tour. If you're in > the Charleston area, please drop me a line. > > > Marty "Son of God" Tomlinson > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:04:38 -0400 (EDT) From: taileen Subject: Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! Message-ID: Don't give up hope. I live in Tallahassee which is I think the smallest city in FLA and They actually came here. I think if you live in a college town it helps. my prayers go out to you, taileen On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, **Tarnished Silence** wrote: > Hey, I hear you. I live in Iowa, the butt crack of the country, and no > one wants to come here to give a concert, much less They. Let us mourn > together....*sigh* > > Tarnished Silence > 210 > > > =========================================================== > == In the darkness == > == In the depths of despair == > == Beyond the tears and the pain == > == There remains one, insane... == > == == > == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == > == == > =========================================================== > > On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Marty Tomlinson wrote: > > > Sorry to bug you guys, but I just need to blow off some steam that I'll > > never get to see Them in concert. The nearest place They played was in > > Charlotte on a Wednesday night(unless They played earlier on the tour), and > > I can't drive three and a half hours on a school night to see Them. Also, I > > was wondering if there are any other rabid They Might be Giants fans in > > Charleston(S.C.). Oh, well, maybe instead of using that college fund on > > "book learnin'", I'll just tail Them around on an entire tour. If you're in > > the Charleston area, please drop me a line. > > > > > > Marty "Son of God" Tomlinson > > > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:16:46 -0100 From: slbrown@postoffice.utas.edu.au (Brownie) Subject: TMBG: Charleston sucks! > Sorry to bug you guys, but I just need to blow off some steam that I'll >never get to see Them in concert. Never say never. I spent around $400 on seeing them when They came to Australia, because I live in Tasmania and had to fly to Melbourne. That was about my entire life savings (slight exageration, but still a lot of money for a 19 y/o uni student). I'd say that the trip was worth every cent. Bugger it, run off to see Them on a school night. It'll enhance your happiness and attitude and therefore improve your study. Brownie ____________________________________________________________________________ Remember kids: Don't Iron your toungue!!!! Bad recipe (courtesy PLONK) 1. Get ten pounds of raw meat 2. Leave in sun for 5 days 3. Eat ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970422205919.006c10ec@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:59:19 -0500 From: king of the mountain Subject: Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! >> Sorry to bug you guys, but I just need to blow off some steam that I'll >>never get to see Them in concert. > >Never say never. I spent around $400 on seeing them when They came to >Australia, because I live in Tasmania and had to fly to Melbourne. That was >about my entire life savings (slight exageration, but still a lot of money >for a 19 y/o uni student). I'd say that the trip was worth every cent. > >Bugger it, run off to see Them on a school night. It'll enhance your >happiness and attitude and therefore improve your study. it's true... i drove about 10 hours on a school day to see Them in new orleans, then drove home immediately afterwards, didn't sleep for about 40 hours, missed 2 complete days of school, and it was certainly worth it... and as flansburgh said on the sonicnet chat... "There is no higher calling for a young mind than driving to a rock concert." this being in response to someone asking if it would be good to drive 3 hours to a concert on a school night... rabidchild (paul) ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199704230202.WAA27841@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 22 Apr 1997 21:01:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! PR>Hey, I hear you. I live in Iowa, the butt crack of the country, and no PR>one wants to come here to give a concert, much less They. Let us mourn PR>together....*sigh* Well I'm just on the other side of the river (and I mean that. I'm looking across it to Iowa aas I type this) here in Illinios. Northwestern Illinois (geographically speaking, not the college) is just as bad as most of Iowa. We got lucky to see TMBG while Hootie was closing for Them, but there seems to be a black hole between Chicago and, I dunno, Ohmaha (sorry, I can't spell or use an atlas to find out how to spell it). If John and John are listening, why not have a "Once In A Lifetime Tour" where you got to all the little cowtowns out in the middle of nowhere and play for us? That would be cool. Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! Message-ID: <19970422.232846.8734.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:28:57 EDT >Bugger it, run off to see Them on a school night. It'll enhance your >happiness and attitude and therefore improve your study. > My sentiments exactly. I drove two hours to see Them in Michigan last month from Cleveland. I didn't get home till about 1:45am. But then again my mom is very cool and I didn't have to go to school the next day. My ex who went with me had to go to school though! Did anyone else go to the concert at Eastern Michigan University? A band called Chainsaw Kittens opened. Not too terrible. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 22 Apr 97 22:20 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Charleston sucks! >>Bugger it, run off to see Them on a school night. It'll enhance your >>happiness and attitude and therefore improve your study. >and as flansburgh said on the sonicnet chat... > >"There is no higher calling for a young mind than driving to a rock >concert." this being in response to someone asking if it would be good to >drive 3 hours to a concert on a school night... I wish someone could've convinced my mom of this. I'm *still* peeved that *both* times TMBG came to MI, they came on a school night. How unfair is that? Kirsten the Whiner -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970422224933.006f9f18@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:49:52 -0700 From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Hi again Hi everyone, I'm back again after having had my account fumigated for termites. :) (Experts say you should do it every so often, y'know.) Hope I didn't miss anything... oh, wait, I'm on the digest. Well, anyway, I'm back. --nicole "Gee, I'm acting like Mike Leffel" the wonder nerd *** Nicole Carlson nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-112 ******************************