Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-113 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 113 Thursday, 24 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: O Tannenbaum Non-TMBG: but so approprate TMBG: aarrrgggh! Re: Non-TMBG: but so approprate TMBG: CALVIN SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TMBG: We've Got A World That Swings TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-112 TMBG: My concert experience TMBG: TMBG chat info TMBG: Who done it TMBG: Whats John doing in the corner? TMBG: concerts on school nights TMBG: Joshua Nite ATTN:! TMBG: giants fans TMBG: DAS On-line..... TMBG: New user again RE: TMBG: concerts on school nights RE: TMBG: DAS On-line..... Re: Non-TMBG: but so approprate Re: TMBG: Who are They? TMBG: Purdue/J&J or the Band? TMBG: Charleston sucks! Re: TMBG: DAS On-line..... TMBG: then and stuff TMBG: Monopuff Re: TMBG: Who are They? Re: TMBG: Who are They? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 02:11:48 -0400 (EDT) From: She Might Be Amy Subject: TMBG: O Tannenbaum Message-ID: > RANDOM QUESTION OF THE DAY: > who is *amy* in the star on the cover of the _O Tannenbaum_ EP??? Well, it must be me! :) Amy :) The first name in music is John. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199704231315.JAA07549@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Non-TMBG: but so approprate Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:15:57 -0400 (EDT) This is definately not TMBG related. It is however quite funny, and quite sad as it seems to be true on here. *sigh* Q: How many internet mail list subscribers does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1,331: 1 to change the light bulb and to post to the mail list that the light bulb has been changed 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently. 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs. 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs. 53 to flame the spell checkers 156 to write to the list administrator complaining about the light bulb discussion and its inappropriateness to this mail list. 41 to correct spelling in the spelling/grammar flames. 109 to post that this list is not about light bulbs and to please take this email exchange to alt.lite.bulb 203 to demand that cross posting to alt.grammar, alt.spelling and alt.punctuation about changing light bulbs be stopped. 111 to defend the posting to this list saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts **are** relevant to this mail list. 306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty. 27 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs 14 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly, and to post corrected URLs. 3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this list which makes light bulbs relevant to this list. 33 to concatenate all posts to date, then quote them including all headers and footers, and then add "Me Too." 12 to post to the list that they are unsubscribing because they cannot handle the light bulb controversey. 19 to quote the "Me Too's" to say, "Me Three." 4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ. 1 to propose new alt.change.lite.bulb newsgroup. 47 to say this is just what alt.physics.cold_fusion was meant for, leave it here. 143 votes for alt.lite.bulb. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970423092645.005a1270@email.uc.edu> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:26:47 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: TMBG: aarrrgggh! Well, as it turns out, today, while thumbing through my closet, I realized that my TMBG Drunk Birds shirt was nowhere to be found. Then I realized what must've happened, and I was right. I went home last weekend, and of course took my laundry with me, and when my mom did laundry, she put MY shirt in with my sister's clothes! You would think that my mother would realize that it was mine, since my sister and I have different T-shirt sizes. I'm highly ticked right now. So, at Kenyon, I will be forced to wear my Pittsburgh Penguins jersey, with none other than Mario Lemieux's number on it. But, I will probably be easier to find if anyone wants to. Later... ##################################### Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver "Everyone wants to see that grooovy thing..." ##################################### ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:57:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Ellen Kao Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: but so approprate Message-ID: On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Leo Bicknell wrote: > > This is definately not TMBG related. It is however > quite funny, and quite sad as it seems to be true on here. > > *sigh* > > Q: How many internet mail list subscribers does it take > to change a light bulb? > That's odd, and rather ironic too; I could have sworn someone else just posted that thing on the list a few days ago. To that list we should add 1 list administrator to repost nonrelated fwds =) Ellen Kao ==-====-===-=-=-====-=======--==-======-=-=-==--=== Love spoke of my past as a valuable test And smiled and said she who loves last loves best. -I Love, I Love (Traveling II), Dar Williams ==-===-====-=-=-=-===-===-=-====-====-=--=====-=-== ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:56:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Philip Christman Subject: TMBG: CALVIN SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Message-ID: hi all. i was there too, and all i've got to say is, it was SO COOL. the best concert of my life. highlights included cannon-fire during JKP, conga-lining my way out of the auditorium, seeing EDG performed with PUPPETS (!), and the final song of the night--TMHFO. they were so cool and so much better than anybody else that's going to play calvin college (cultural desert, no one listens to anything but dave matthews and jars of clay) this year. oh, one more thing--hey anne and kevin and jason. thanks for comin' down. like i told anne, it made a good thing better. always remember to wave those freak flags. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ brothers, sisters, we don't need this fascist groove thang... --heaven 17 ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Jeff Eberlin" Subject: TMBG: We've Got A World That Swings Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 08:09:00 -0700 Has anyone else considered the possibility that "We've got a world that swings" was a choice for the B side of S-E-X-X-Y because of Linnell's marriage? (By the way, who's he married to?) I was listening to it on the way to work this morning and that thought occurred to me... Jeff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ We'll meet at the end of the tour.... - TMBG <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> Jeff Eberlin - Jeff@TeleMagic.com (Want Haiku of the day? TeleMagic, Inc - R&D - Programming Let me know!) "The End Of The Tour" - http://www.data-tech.com/~virtual * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 08:38:16 -0700 From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Message-Id: <9704230838.ZM3697@mando.engr.sgi.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-112 Evan Chakroff wrote: > >An um, also.... did we ever do anything about that idea for a "They Might >Be Giants" mailing list, you know, one where people could talk about "They >Might be Giants"?? I think that would be cool.... I'm with you! That's a great idea! A list where we could talk about They Might Be Giants, their records, music, concerts, and other such stuff! One where we wouldn't have to wade through 500-year floods of conjecture, chain letters, and lists of unrelated things. Where we could find out FACTS about TMBG, new records, concert dates, and the like. What an idea! And if we could enforce some simple mailing list etiquette, we might even have a better list than ever! (I really hate it when someone includes an entire message in their reply.) However, tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) writes: > >Honestly, you people should have just a little more patience for non-TMBG >posts. As some people said before, when you discuss stuff like music, >other things will naturally come up. Why don't you want people to have >any freedom of what to talk about? I do admit, the Marylin Manson thing >went a bit overboard, but other than that, we should welcome the >occasional stray. It's not like this has completely turned into a No >Doubt or SPAM list. I don't mind the occasional stray. After all, how does one find out about other cool music than by word of mouth (or in this case, word of finger)? But we do get a little carried away on THIS list (the ACRONYM list). So. Exercise some self control. Educate yourself on e-mail etiquette (http://reality.sgi.com/relph/etiquette.html). Think before you post. Flame people OFF the list. Stick to the matter at hand! Enjoy. -- John P.S. Remember, the They Might Be Giants discography can still be found at http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:54:52 -0500 (CDT) From: May Anna Schaeffer Subject: TMBG: My concert experience Message-ID: The first concert I ever went to was last year when TmBg came to The university of Chicago for a 'summer' festival. I never wanted to go to another concert again for fear that I would ruin the most awesome experience I ever had. I did, however, go back on this promise, and yes I did ruin my concert going experience. I went to see Oasis in New York. I don't recommend such a thing, especially when it is the end of summer and all the Brits who came over to work at summer camps are traveling around and figure going to an Oasis concert would be a great thing to do. This concert was definitely nowhere near as cool as the TmBg concert here at school. I was very disappointed to say the least. I have heard a rumor however that TmBg will be coming again to play for Summer Breeze here at school. Hopefully it's true, if it is perhaps I'll go see them to renew that wonderful experience. Have a They day!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <335E61C1.5A57@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 15:23:45 -0400 From: Phillip Kent Subject: TMBG: TMBG chat info i know it has been a long time since my last message (i was working) i'm sorry. i bring some more info about the chat room. after i sut it up, these are the steps that you will need to take to get to the room. 1) go to http://wbs.net 2a) click on the private rooms icon (the room will not be made into a perm. room unless the turnout on the opening day is big) 2b) type TMBG in the "goto existing room" space 3) click on visiting icon (or go ahead and create an original handle) 4) this should take you to the chat room. now that you know how to get to room, let me tell you when the grand opening is. to tell you the truth i have no clue when i will be making the room. please write to the list and let me get an idea of what the best time to do this is. if the turnout is big, it will be made into a perm. room and you wouldn't have to follow all of the above steps. oh, if you decide to make an original handle, you only have to do that once. thanks a lot for all the support and please make this a big success. Narleyman ------------------------------ From: TmbGiants7@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:12:00 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970423161128_-2103854797@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Who done it Who was it a couple days ago who asked if there were any state songs on the internet? Could you e-mail me if you have found any? address: TmbGiants7@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <335E98F3.1268@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:19:15 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: Whats John doing in the corner? The oddest thing happened to me today. As some of you (all two) may remember from my post about it, I went to the TMBG show at Calvin College on Monday, (it was cool, but I already explained that in my other post.) Anyway, some guy today came up to me in school and asked: Him: "Did you go to the concert?" Me: "Yeah. It kicked ass! It was so cool!" Him: "Did he ejaculate on stage?" Me: "what?" Him: "did he" [obscene jesture here] "ejaculate on stage?" Me: "What? I went to see they might be giants" Him: "What?" Me: "they might be giants." Him. "oh." [walks away] I guess Marilyn Manson was playing nearby on that day too. I HOPE! I mean, I hope there arent some occaisonal occurances of John doing that on stage that he was expecting or something. One of the wierdest things that ever did happen to me. The wierdness robbed- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970423141806.006f9ffc@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 14:18:13 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: concerts on school nights >>Bugger it, run off to see Them on a school night. It'll enhance your >>happiness and attitude and therefore improve your study. > >it's true... i drove about 10 hours on a school day to see Them in new >orleans, then drove home immediately afterwards, didn't sleep for about 40 >hours, missed 2 complete days of school, and it was certainly worth it... Concerts on school nights work fine, with a bit of extra planning. Both of the TMBG concerts I've been to this year were on school nights, and both required about 4-5 hours of car travel (through familiar territory, fortunately for me). I got back to my dorm about 1 or 2 AM both times, which is NOT terribly late (heck, my beloved roommate regularly stays up til 3!). A TMBG concert will only take 1 evening out of your life, which is NOT much, and it's absolutely worth it! It's worth it a million times over! Those of you with parental restraints--make a big show of doing extra homework and extra studying for the few days before the concert, to ease their consciences. --nicole the travelin' wonder nerd *** Nicole Carlson nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:46:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Coyote Subject: TMBG: Joshua Nite ATTN:! Message-ID: Joshua Nite, if you're out there, you sent me a message regarding the video bootleg 2.5.. I tried to email you details, but your email doesnt' work.. If you still want a copy, email me back! -Adam ~-~\ /~-~ ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ "That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else Way down inside me I can hear it coming back" kai@wpi.edu http://www.wpi.edu/~kai ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: giants fans Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:56:06 EST Message-Id: <199704232156.3788200@cyberia.com> Hey, I just got on this mailing list and I am pretty pumped about it. I have been a fan of tmbg for the past 5 years or so. I am only 16. Since everyone was talking about concerts I thought I would tell you about my upcoming concert experience. Tommorrow I will go to St Joes in Philadelphia to see the two Johns in action. I am pretty pumped being that I have only seen them once before. I also wanted to see if this worked.. Who knows... Steve ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 23:43:46 +0100 (BST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970423142305.2bdf74ee@popmail.dircon.co.uk> From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: DAS On-line..... I just downloaded "Subway Token To Brooklyn" from DAS on-line. I've never heard the hidden track on FS and I was wondering if this DAS song was the same as the one on the hidden track on FS? Anyone? Luv Joe xox -- "No-one is completely worthless - They can always serve as a bad example" - Chumbawamba ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: New user again Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 18:48:16 EST Message-Id: <199704232248.3831100@cyberia.com> Hello Giants fans. I would just like to say that I was glad that my message got to the list. Also I would like to tell everyone to keep up the good work. I love hearing from giants fans. Steve I love people, their the ones I can't stand! ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: concerts on school nights Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 15:57:41 -0700 >---------- >From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd[SMTP:ana.ng@tmbg.org] >Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 1997 2:18 PM >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: concerts on school nights > >Those of you with parental restraints--make a big show of doing extra >homework and extra studying for the few days before the concert, to ease >their consciences. Don't forget the extra sleep. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: DAS On-line..... Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:16:34 -0700 >---------- >From: Joe Keith[SMTP:joekeith@dircon.co.uk] >Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 1997 3:43 PM >To: Titans All >Subject: TMBG: DAS On-line..... > >I just downloaded "Subway Token To Brooklyn" from DAS on-line. I've never >heard the hidden track on FS and I was wondering if this DAS song was the >same as the one on the hidden track on FS? Anyone? ALMOST.... The hidden track on the CD only has 2 changes, as far as I can tell: 1) The "Get away..." at the beginning isn't there, the intro's slightly different musically. 2) He says, "and says he killed our parents" on the DAS, but "and says he'll tell our parents" on the CD. >Luv > >Joe xox Jesse ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:21:15 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970423192022_-434426695@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: but so approprate In a message dated 97-04-23 10:22:05 EDT, ekao2@gl.umbc.edu (Ellen Kao) writes: << That's odd, and rather ironic too; I could have sworn someone else just posted that thing on the list a few days ago. To that list we should add 1 list administrator to repost nonrelated fwds =) Ellen Kao >> And not to add more to this, but one more (well, two now) to comment on reposting of nonrelated fwds. Sorry to waste bandwidth. joel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:49:28 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: TMBG: Who are They? Message-Id: sorry if this already got figured out, and if it did, sorry for not paying attention and looking like a re-nob, but here goes: someone posed the question as to if They were just J&J or the whole band or what...well on the liner notes for THEN, it says: TMBG John Flans and John Linnel. no mention of the band, so i think there's the answer. and again, if this is just a re-statement of the obvious, just imagine me waving like i have no idea what's going on, and backing out of the room, embarrassed...:) ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* my name is jillian i study the earth i need a job woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704240157.UAA11221@hp-13.cae.wisc.edu> Subject: TMBG: Purdue/J&J or the Band? Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 20:57:51 CDT From: Aaron Kohlbeck Hola, As it turns out, I may not be going to the Purdue show. A friend is coming into town to celebrate his birthday (all the way from New Mexico no less!) and the day in question is Sunday. But on the off chance that I do go, I have a few questions for those in the know: 1) What is the deal? I know it is supposed to be this big melee on some hill, but what time approx. will They be on? 2) How the hell do I get to Purdue? I know its in Indiana, but other than that, I have not a clue as to where it is. I would be coming from Madison, WI. 3) Any pre-show things going on? A meeting place for listies? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? And: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART said: >sorry if this already got figured out, and if it did, sorry for not paying >attention and looking like a re-nob, but here goes: someone posed the >question as to if They were just J&J or the whole band or what...well on >the liner notes for THEN, it says: TMBG John Flans and John Linnel. no >mention of the band, so i think there's the answer. But, the thing with that is Then is from when TMBG was just John and John. There was no band when the all of the songs that are on Then were recorded, which I would assume is the reason there is no mention of the band. I suppose this means that we all should go to our JH and FS cds and see if it says anything in the liner notes. Too bad both of mine are with my younger brother right now, or I could go check. Also, what is a re-nob? Aaron, who hopes he is not a re-nob -- Aaron Kohlbeck http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck "What's the use of having ends if you lose all your friends?" -House of Pain ------------------------------ From: hlan1@student.monash.edu.au Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:32:05 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Charleston sucks! Message-id: Organization: Monash University > > Sorry to bug you guys, but I just need to blow off some steam > > that I'll > >never get to see Them in concert. > > Never say never. I spent around $400 on seeing them when They came to > Australia, because I live in Tasmania and had to fly to Melbourne. > That was about my entire life savings (slight exageration, but still a > lot of money for a 19 y/o uni student). I'd say that the trip was > worth every cent. > > Bugger it, run off to see Them on a school night. It'll enhance your > happiness and attitude and therefore improve your study. Spare a though for my dear friend Richard - after convincing his mother (tricky this) and pulling in birthday presents and favour of all sorts, we got to the door of that self same Melbourne concert for a once in life time (well, a very long time) opertunity to see TMBG live (my first ever concert - of that type - Handel's Messiah, MSO, etc aren't really the same thing) and he wasn't allowed into the Palace, where They were playing, because he is 17. We felt so guilty going in with out him but really, what could we do? He then turned up at my place at 2ish as we were getting home wanting to here all about it - the poor guy had been waiting around, playing pool and knowing that we were in there with TMBG. He was very good about not making us feel guilty. Then we got up early the next morning to watch them on Recovery and my VCR chose that moment to brake down. Grmmn. Hannah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 03:39:00 +0100 (BST) From: D Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS On-line..... Message-ID: Egad a base tone... On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Joe Keith wrote: > I just downloaded "Subway Token To Brooklyn" from DAS on-line. I've never > heard the hidden track on FS and I was wondering if this DAS song was the > same as the one on the hidden track on FS? Anyone? Not quite, it's better (in my opinion anyway) and has slighty different lyrics (said he killed our parents/says he'll tell our parents) _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson "No man can have a higher moral duty than to Derwent College stand for parliament against David Mellor" University of York Dominic Lawson Heslington York FLUMCAKE ON-LINE: Makes the fakeness realistic YO1 5DD http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...denotes a bad age _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 27 Aug 1956 22:29:19 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: then and stuff Well, it's happened. After almost a month of resistance, I finally knuckled under and bought Then, well aware that I was paying double-CD price for less than half an hour's worth of new material plus a bunch of stuff I already own. What can I say? But the new songs do rule. I think they can be fitted into three categories: Scary little songs/nonsongs(not to be confused with nonsuch): Critic intro, '85 radio special thank you, Kitten Intro, Doris Cunningham, Swing is a Word. songs which we've heard before, in a different form: Greek #3, Hope That I Get Old Before I Die, Don't Let's Start, Which Describes How You're Feeling, and the ever lovable Children Singing Particle Man(in which I swear at one part the children stop singing and you can hear the tape with Linnell singing in the background) Full-blown, kick-ass new songs: The rest of the new stuff, though I'm Def, Counterfeit Fake, and Mainstream USA barely make it out of the little strange songs category(that's not to say I don't like them: I'm Def and Counterfeit Fake rule, Mainstream USA, uhh, no comment). Personal Faves: Weep Day, Counterfeit Fake, Now That I Have Everything, Become a Robot. Though I'm not sorry I bought it, my rational left brain lobe is still trying to convince my irrational, TMBG-loving right brain that it was a worthwhile purchase. And I seriously love both the intros. And Doris Cunningham has a place on almost any long mix, just as a tension breaker. And Now For Something Completely Different Dept. I have a spare Statue single and TMBG factory showroom promotional flat(I'd guess about 12" x 12" in size. I'm willing to trade for almost anything cool. Mail me with what you're willing to trade for these things. -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton In CD player: Cracker, Kerosene Hat(love that album) Jonah ------------------------------ From: mjames@cs3100.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704240342.AA06276@cs3100.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Monopuff Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 23:42:27 -0400 (EDT) As I watched the Orioles game tonight I flipped around to Showtime and saw a movie called _In the Presence of Mine Enemies_. The cool thing was, Elina Lowensohn was in this movie, the same woman who did the voice part in Distant Antenna on Unsupervised. I think it was a made for Showtime movie made this year. It was about the Jews and Nazis in 1943 during the war. I only saw the very end, though. /Matt -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@cs3100.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704240346.AA06286@cs3100.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Who are They? Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 23:46:55 -0400 (EDT) > sorry if this already got figured out, and if it did, sorry for not paying > attention and looking like a re-nob, but here goes: someone posed the > question as to if They were just J&J or the whole band or what...well on > the liner notes for THEN, it says: TMBG John Flans and John Linnel. no > mention of the band, so i think there's the answer. > > and again, if this is just a re-statement of the obvious, just imagine me > waving like i have no idea what's going on, and backing out of the room, > embarrassed...:) The problem with this is, back then all it was was John & John and the tape machine. As of 1992 or whenever it was that they started getting live drummers, bass players, horn players, etc, the question is posed. I would guess that TMBG has evolved to more than just John & John even though the core of the band are the 2 songwriters, Flans and Linnell. It really does made for a new evolution of TMBG, especially John Henry and on. Just like their recent concerts, TMBG of '89 (John, John, tape machine), TMBG of '97 (John, John, Graham, Dan, sometimes horns, sax). /Matt -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 21:38:58 -0700 (PDT) From: Michelle Subject: Re: TMBG: Who are They? Message-ID: On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > sorry if this already got figured out, and if it did, sorry for not paying > > attention and looking like a re-nob, but here goes: someone posed the > > question as to if They were just J&J or the whole band or what...well on > > the liner notes for THEN, it says: TMBG John Flans and John Linnel. no > > mention of the band, so i think there's the answer. > > > > and again, if this is just a re-statement of the obvious, just imagine me > > waving like i have no idea what's going on, and backing out of the room, > > embarrassed...:) > The problem with this is, back then all it was was John & John and the > tape machine. As of 1992 or whenever it was that they started getting > live drummers, bass players, horn players, etc, the question is posed. > I would guess that TMBG has evolved to more than just John & John even > though the core of the band are the 2 songwriters, Flans and Linnell. > It really does made for a new evolution of TMBG, especially John Henry > and on. Just like their recent concerts, TMBG of '89 (John, John, tape > machine), TMBG of '97 (John, John, Graham, Dan, sometimes horns, sax). > /Matt > So I check out the liner notes on John Henry: They Might Be Giants are John Flansburgh guitars, vocals & John Linnell, keyboards, horns, vocals and have been joined by blah blah blah.... even with John and John listed above everyone else, with a space between the two lines. Whatever... Michelle ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-113 ******************************