Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-114 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 114 Friday, 25 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: About Kurt Hoffman ... NON-TMBG: Schedule+, Outlook TMBG: Indiana Univ of PA SHOW---HELP! (none) TMBG: A Joke for U!!! TMBG: A Joke for U!!! TMBG: about children TMBG: here's what I think Re: TMBG: Who are They? TMBG: MonoPuffMonoPuffYouWereSpiraling: Hello Says Goodbye TMBG: FS sessions TMBG: Indiana U Show NON-TMBG: Chasing Amy Re: TMBG: Who are They? TMBG: Concert at IUP Re: TMBG: about eating children TMBG: Re: Hello Says Goodbye TMBG: Be still, my internal parasite. Re: TMBG: Be still, my internal parasite. TMBG: Columbia Concert TMBG: Radio... TMBG: Meet at KENYON NON TMBG: Bridget Guildner TMBG: State Songs / Token ONLINE TMBG: Kenyon - if I get in Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <01BB1195.2E3F99E0@112L08> From: ESIDE <2saenzde@rigel.deusto.es> Subject: TMBG: About Kurt Hoffman ... Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 10:58:26 +0100 Hi y'all, The other day a friend of mine bought a Jon Spencer record and he told me to read the names of the people who played in it. One of them was Linnell, and my brain needed to find a way to explain it. Is Kurt Hoffman the nexus here ? Can somebody explain it ? Who cares ? Why should anybody ? Or are we all just a bunch of freaks ? Still can't take Weep Day and Become a Robot outta my mind, See you & Thanks Inigo [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (application/ms-tnef)] ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704241549.AA26447@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Schedule+, Outlook Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:49:44 -0400 (EDT) I'm sorry that this is completely TMBG unrelated but I was hoping that one of you in Internetland might know the answer to this. Firstly, I need to know if anyone has ever used Microsoft Schedule+ or Microsoft Outlook for Office 97? Secondly, if you have (in a networked environment) is there a server component to these scheduling/calendar programs as I'm trying to get it up over our server. Mainly, I'm trying to use Outlook but I assume Schedule+ is somewhat similar in this respect. Again, I know this is the wrong forum but I was hoping friendly TMBG-fan might know and be helpful. Thanks, /Matt -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704241646.MAA68212@r02n02.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:45:47 -0400 From: The Flying Pollock Subject: TMBG: Indiana Univ of PA SHOW---HELP! For some reason, I have been unable to locate the phone number of ANYTHING to do with this concert. IUP's web site does not even contain any pertinent phone numbers. Does anyone know how to obtain tickets for this show ahead of time?? IT IS TOMORROW NIGHT! Somebody please save me? casey ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970424101154.006fd854@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:21:33 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd >I just downloaded "Subway Token To Brooklyn" from DAS on-line. I've never >heard the hidden track on FS and I was wondering if this DAS song was the >same as the one on the hidden track on FS? Anyone? Yes and no. "Token Back To Brooklyn" started life as a DAS tune (usually called "Get Away"), with slightly different lyrics. I dunno if DAS online has the DAS version of TBTB or the FS version. But yes, they are more or less the same song. >and the ever lovable Children Singing Particle Man(in which I >swear at one part the children stop singing and you can hear the tape >with Linnell singing in the background) Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes Children Singing Particle Man. :) But the man's voice in the background doesn't sound like Linnell... I'd say it'd have to be the kids' music director. --nicole the wonder nerd *** Nicole Carlson nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704241754.KAA27770@f47.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: A Joke for U!!! Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:54:10 PDT Here's a drummer joke I modified for TMBG content. A man goes to a tropical island (No one saw him there?) for a vacation. As the boat nears the island, he notices the constant sound of drumming coming from the island. As he gets off the boat, he asks the first native he sees how long the drumming will go on. The native casts about nervously and says, "very bad when drumming stops". At the end of the day, the drumming is still going on and is starting to get on his nerves. So, ha asks another native when the drumming will stop. The native looks like he's been reminded of something unpleasant. "Very bad when drumming stops," he says and hurries off. After 2 days with little sleep our traveler is finally fed up. He grabs the nearest native, slams him up against the tree, and shouts, "What happens when the drumming stops?" "Eric Schemerhorn's guitar solo." Awaiting flames, Anastasia * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704241753.KAA09407@f37.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: A Joke for U!!! Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:53:50 PDT Here's a drummer joke I modified for TMBG content. A man goes to a tropical island (No one saw him there?) for a vacation. As the boat nears the island, he notices the constant sound of drumming coming from the island. As he gets off the boat, he asks the first native he sees how long the drumming will go on. The native casts about nervously and says, "very bad when drumming stops". At the end of the day, the drumming is still going on and is starting to get on his nerves. So, ha asks another native when the drumming will stop. The native looks like he's been reminded of something unpleasant. "Very bad when drumming stops," he says and hurries off. After 2 days with little sleep our traveler is finally fed up. He grabs the nearest native, slams him up against the tree, and shouts, "What happens when the drumming stops?" "Eric Schemerhorn's guitar solo." Awaiting flames, Anastasia * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: about children Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:24:19 EST Message-Id: <199704241924.4477400@cyberia.com> For the record, I would like to say that both me and my best bud love children singing particle man:) ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: here's what I think Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:33:11 EST Message-Id: <199704241933.4482800@cyberia.com> Ok... I bought the then CD and love it. This is partially because I never had Misc. T:((but Now I am happy I never bought it because I bought it in this cd) Also, as opposed to some other fans, I love the two intros(critic and kitten) The rock and they are always the first songs I play when I listen to either CD. The misc T stuff is cool, but some of the added stuff if pretty weird. Overall, I rate it one of TMBG's best though(other then John Henry of coarse that far surpasses anything) Of the CD's before this one.. I would have to rate them like this 1. John Henry 2. Lincoln 3. FS 4. Appollo 5. Self titled(pink) 6. Flood (I don't own Misc T) Give me everyone's opinions ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 15:25 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Who are They? someone posed the >question as to if They were just J&J or the whole band or what...well on >the liner notes for THEN, it says: TMBG John Flans and John Linnel. no >mention of the band, so i think there's the answer. We-ell, THEN is from back when TMBG *was* just John and John, so I don't think that's really applicable here. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:54:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: TMBG: MonoPuffMonoPuffYouWereSpiraling: Hello Says Goodbye Message-ID: Ben or Been here. I sadly got the last shipment I'll probably ever get from the Hello CD of the Month Club. Today I got in the mail *TWO* new Mono Puff recordings, including a recording by an awesome group called You Were Spiraling, which has a sound that reminds me of Ben Folds Five. Brian Dewan's on it, for all you Dewan fans. The Mono Puff stuff does not include "Felt Tip Pen," which I've wanted to hear but never have. It does have, though, "Imaginary Friend." That's a big surprise--I wonder if these two Mono Puff discs will serve as the new Mono Puff they were working on, called _Imaginary Friend_? So far, I really dig "Dedicated," a song that has a lot of crazy techo-type stuff that throws back to "I'm Def." Flans does an awesome little poem about the events that happened on October 17th in it. The other songs are a blur because I didn't scrutinize my listen; however, I did notice that they cover a song by that Scott guy in Young Fresh Fellows and the Minus Five. At least I think it's a cover song. The Sound of Mono Puff NOW: Mono Puff to my ears now sounds like a mixture of the first Mono Puff Hello release and the Rykodisc _Unsupervised_ release. It has the computery stuff, and it has the guitary stuff, mixed together. A good sound with a creative feel. I imagine it will grow on me with each listen. *************************************** Now, with the extinction of Hello, what will become of the Gordon Gano release? I thought they already had that recorded, and have been advertising that for a butt-long time. And also, what about that Back to School one? I definitely thought they had recorded that already. Included in my final Hello package was an order form for all four years. I also found a handwritten-but-photocopied letter from Flans saying that Hello's leaving the CD-of-the-month business. ALSO, I got the long-awaited autographed lyric book for _Unsupervised_. (And, of course, the three CD's.) Well, this has Been Ben or Been reporting. Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:42:25 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: FS sessions Message-Id: Sorry to sound stupid, but I've been gone for a while, and now people are talking about some factory showroom sessions tape. What exactly is this, and how can I get it? Liam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704242202.RAA24407@csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:03:27 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Indiana U Show Ok, the planets aligned themselves and I will finally be seeing They!!! Lucky me. I had planed this for like a week ago, but forgot, and now it's later than I wanted to post. I'd really like to meet some listees and such. It's too late to arrange a meeting or anything, but I can describe myself. I'm 5'6" or maybe a bit taller. I'm half indian and have black curly hair, about to my ears. Prolly be wearing a tss shirt of sorts, possible a black one. Really a funny lookin little person. Will respond to Dylan. Hehe, I'll also be with this tall dude with long hair. I'm sure he'll be wearing something odd. We are both 15, and my dad is givin us a ride, but we're leaving tomorrow at 8:00 AM, so any email that doesn't come prolly tonight won't be read till Sunday. Still I'd like to meet you so maybe if you're going you can find me or something. I'll be getting there about two hours early, and it starts at 9:00. You can call 412-463-8541 for some info. That's all for now, methinks. -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 17:08 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: NON-TMBG: Chasing Amy As some of you may or may not know, Kevin Smith's latest movie, "Chasing Amy," was released to select theaters last weekend. I'm desperate to see this movie, but I can't find a theater that's showing it. Does anyone know of one within, say, two hours from central Michigan that's showing it? I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me. Kirsten (we now return you to your regularly scheduled TMBG postings) -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <335FF85F.16ED@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:18:39 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Who are They? > someone posed the > >question as to if They were just J&J or the whole band or what...well on > >the liner notes for THEN, it says: TMBG John Flans and John Linnel. no > >mention of the band, so i think there's the answer. > > We-ell, THEN is from back when TMBG *was* just John and John, so I > don't think that's really applicable here. > Exactly what I was thinking. The useless poster- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ From: RACH8425@duq3.cc.duq.edu Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:26:50 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: Concert at IUP Message-ID: <861917210.244703.RACH8425@duq3.cc.duq.edu> I just thought that I would let you all know that i am going to my second TMBG show tomorrow night and I'm excited beyond all control. The only thing is, at the last concert I got bruises from being pushed around everywhere! Does this happen at all TMBG shows or what? It is a standing show and people get a little too excited in the conga line! To the boy who wanted to know about the tickets for the IUP show. My Dad got them from somebody who works there. They are selling them to the public now. They weren't in the beginning. I'm not sure what the number is but I Might be able to find out. Give me a few. Kelly ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704242102.QAA09353@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: about eating children Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:52:26 -0500 ---------- > From: The Christ Family > For the record, I would like to say that both me and my best bud love > children singing particle man:) Mike "Me Too" Leffel If I were a songwriter, hearing 'x' amount of children (or anybody for that matter) singing a song I wrote in tribute, would be the greatest feeling in the world, I think. I get sort of nostalgic-ized when I hear it, being as it was probably the first TMBG song I ever heard eons ago. I could easily see why they put it on THEN. "Children were forced to sing something I wrote!". What a feeling that must be! ^_^ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970424175447.00f70b00@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:54:47 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Re: Hello Says Goodbye What really bugs me: The fact that things from Hello can only be obtained by being part of the Club! What about us cheap bastards who don't want to pay for the ones we don't want?!? Also, what will become of the left-over discs? Will they just sell them (by year) until they're gone? And what about ME?? Say I wanted to order the 93 set, with State Songs, but when I get it (5 years later) there's no state songs! From what I've heard, I can't get reliable service from this! How can I be sure that if I order something I'll ACTUALLY GET IT!?!? that is all -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704242109.QAA09457@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Be still, my internal parasite. Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:59:26 -0500 As a purchaser of a bookletless THEN, I was wondering if there was anything special inside it, save the lyrics. Any new photos? Drawings? Pop-Outs? Should I go buy another copy just to get a booklet? Can I sue restless? How can I get Mainstream U.S.A. out of my head? Bye Bye. ^_^ Mike "The big big whoredom scares me" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:30:51 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Be still, my internal parasite. Message-ID: On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: > > As a purchaser of a bookletless THEN, I was wondering if there > was anything special inside it, save the lyrics. Any > new photos? Drawings? Pop-Outs? Should I go buy another > copy just to get a booklet? Can I sue restless? How can I > get Mainstream U.S.A. out of my head? Bye Bye. ^_^ > I think its worth it! There's fun stories by the Johns on their songs, and some early concert posters that are of much joy as well, and great anecdotes. Some of the stuff we all may already have known before, but its still great. See if you can fake someone out and sell them your bad copy of Then, and tell them that there is really no booklet with it. Then buy a new one with the money you have extorted them out of! Hee hee! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "It's Conan and Andy's Dole-a-Song...Not too clear, \\ and not too long..." -Mismirilda's spoof on the Dial-A-Song Intro TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: Tmbgneat@aol.com Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 19:02:31 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970424190230_-165873954@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Columbia Concert Is anyone going to the concert May 2nd in Columbia? Does anyone have any info about the concert....like who's opening? Does this couch look better here or over there? -a guy named tim wrote this..... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 19:11:25 -0600 (MDT) From: Joyce Frost Subject: TMBG: Radio... Message-Id: Is there a real audio radio station broadcasting over the net, that has good alternative playing including TMBG that anyone knows of??? I would appreciate any suggested web sites... Thanks, Joyce Joyce Frost the struggling poet who finds poetry in struggling... "The Dilbert Principle: The most ineffective workers are systematically moved to the place where they can do the least damage-- MANAGEMENT." -Scott Adams, "The Dilbert Principle" ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Meet at KENYON Message-ID: <19970424.215440.4494.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 21:54:48 EDT Alright eveybody, the Kenyon show is in 1 1/2 short days! I am so excited I can hardly think straight! This will be my third TMBG concert. Anybody who's going, I want to meet some of you. Somebody take charge and arrange a meeting spot for us. Preferably a Kenyon student. That would be ideal. We need to make this meeting spot very obvious that list members would recognize right away. Somebody else be creative, my brain is mush. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704250233.VAA14857@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: NON TMBG: Bridget Guildner Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:15:17 -0500 Quicker than you can say Fenchurch and Mostly Harmless, I've lost your address in another catalcysmic Mike Leffel Deleto-Me-Computo adventure. Mainly because I never got around to writing it down. Eh, what're you gonna do? See ya! and HELLO to all the listies. Mike "Willikers!" Leffel -He's built like a kangaroo, but he's a reptile. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970425054605.006fbd0c@mail.vt.edu> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 01:46:05 -0400 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: State Songs / Token ONLINE >Who was it a couple days ago who asked if there were any state songs on the >internet? Could you e-mail me if you have found any? I don't know the who, but the answer is yes. Maine is on the DAS On-Line site, laying around in the "sounds" directory. It's either: http://www.tmbg.com/dial/sounds/ -or- http://www.tmbg.com/dial/sound/ -or, there's always my site:- ftp://electra.foo.org/tmbg/ >I just downloaded "Subway Token To Brooklyn" from DAS on-line. I've never >heard the hidden track on FS and I was wondering if this DAS song was the >same as the one on the hidden track on FS? Anyone? Nope. Totally different. Well, okay, not totally, but anyway it's more like the old DAS version where they have a funky intro and say "The fare collector's drinking lighter fluid/He says he killed our parents" as opposed to "The bill collector's drinking lighter fluid/He says he'll tell our parents". (I might be a little off.) It's got a neat, bouncy little sound to it, where the FS version is a little more macabre. * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "He's an addict and that's a fact, but at least he's not smoking crack..." * -Dance Hall Crashers, "Java Junkie" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 02:00:50 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: Kenyon - if I get in Message-ID: Well I'll be at Kenyon as long as I get into the damn show, I am still not sure how this is going to work. I'll be coming down from Canada, so, if you see me, a white dude with dark hair, glasses and a black Hello bird T shirt, either come up to me and say hello, or run far far away, your choice. And for the record I've seen TMBG live seven times. Though this pales before the monolith that is Matt James. See ya. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the new webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* "Sugar is granulated happiness. It's a friend." --David Lynch ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-114 ******************************