Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-115 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 115 Saturday, 26 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: 4/24/97 St. Joe's U show! TMBG: Ben or Been at Keenyon Too!!! TMBG: For every one with dollar signs in his eyes TMBG: RE BEN OR BEEN... TMBG: tnbg in-store Re: TMBG: Re: Hello Says Goodbye Re: TMBG: Be still, my internal parasite. RE: TMBG: 4/24/97 St. Joe's U show! TMBG: gone for the summer Re: TMBG: For every one with dollar signs in his eyes TMBG: Bye Bye for now... TMBG: Meeting place at Kenyon TMBG: Tonight is the night .... Re: TMBG: Meet at KENYON TMBG: DAS! TMBG: Kenyon Re: TMBG: DAS! Re: TMBG: For every one with dollar signs in his eyes Re: TMBG: tnbg in-store Re: TMBG: 4/24/97 St. Joe's U show! Re: TMBG: For every one with dollar signs in his eyes TMBG: But it's not. TMBG: calvin show! TMBG: hello all TMBG: Praise(?) 4 TMBG TMBG: 4/24 Philadelphia Show TMBG: TMBG @ IUP, Indiana PA TMBG: Another review of Them Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 03:42:25 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: 4/24/97 St. Joe's U show! Message-ID: Well, i just got back from the show in philly at Saint Joeseph University... a good show, although the acoustics werent that great and there were no horns again (other then johnl's sax)... Violent Femmes opened for TMBG, even though the ticket said it was the other way around, as did the college. Heres the setlist: New York City Particle Man She's Actual Size James K. Polk (confetti cannon blows up!) Spider Birdhouse in Your Soul (this is the first show ive been to where they SEXXY didnt play The Guitar after Spider) Lie Still, Little Bottle (with the stick!) Metal Detector How Can I Sing Like a Girl Counterfiet Faker Spy Stayin' Alive (during improv portion of Spy) I Am Not Your Broom (during improv portion of Spy) Shoehorn With Teeth Pet Name No One Knows My Plan (congo line!) The Guitar Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Turn Around Twistin Dig My Grave XTC vs. Adam Ant Exsquisite Dead Guy (the puppet heads!) Till My Head Falls Off Older Hi, We're the Replacements ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:35:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: TMBG: Ben or Been at Keenyon Too!!! Message-ID: Ben or Been here. Not to sound snobbish or anything, I'm not really all that interested in arranging a meeting place at Kenyon for us Digesters. I dunno, maybe it's because I want to enjoy the music with the friends I'm taking. Whatever. I think I'll wear my William Allen "Head" White shirt. Or maybe my Hello bird shirt (which is too small). If I see any of you, I'll try to say "Hello." Good-bye, though, for now, See ya at the concert! Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:55:34 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199704251255.IAA08309@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: For every one with dollar signs in his eyes I return triumphant! Everyone, you can thank/blame Sarah "linnelgirl" for dragging me back, as the case may be. :) >Q: How many internet mail list subscribers does it take > to change a light bulb? Oddly enough, this exact same post has managed to propagate itself to every newsgroup and mailing list I read within the matter of a week. Hmmmm. >Him: "Did he ejaculate on stage?" >I mean, I hope there arent some occaisonal occurances of John doing that >on stage that he was expecting or something. Well, if you believe our old friend Coiled from the newsgroup (is he still there?) John Linnell has urinated into the crowd on at least one occasion. >I just downloaded "Subway Token To Brooklyn" from DAS on-line. I've never >heard the hidden track on FS and I was wondering if this DAS song was the >same as the one on the hidden track on FS? Anyone? Same song, with the exception that the lyrics on the FS version say "he'll tell our parents" rather than "he killed our parents." IMHO, the DAS version is far superior -- instead of that weird drumming, there's that cool keyboard sound. >We felt so guilty going in with out him but really, what could we do? Something else? My final thoughts: Certain People I Could Name is an excellent song. "Count the legs, the arms, the heads, and then divide by five." The band better put this song on _Thing._ Really. For those who haven't heard it, it's a JL song with a great keyboard part and lyrics from the point of view of some guy who watches TV shows with horrible, dastardly people on them, and compares them to people he knows. Oh: I've just discovered what a damn brilliant piece of work RSWA is. The lyrics are excellent: that truly inspired pun in "There's a place for those who love their poetry/just across from the sign that says 'pros only,'" the "Olive Oyl" line (I somehow doubt TMBG actually got *that* from their record execs, but you never know...), "Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank/laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank," and the chorus, which sums up the problem a band trying to "break through" faces so perfectly. Wow. Josh You guys must be into the Eurythmics. /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:57:21 +0100 Message-Id: <97042513572158@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: RE BEN OR BEEN... > NOT TO SOUN SNOBISH OR ANYTHING. oh listees not good enough for you eh? >WEARING .. HELLO BIRD SHIRT( WHICH IS TOO SMALL) who ate all the pies? yvonne "culture slut" sanders ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:41:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Dan McNevin Subject: TMBG: tnbg in-store Message-ID: for those of you who don't get the chicago shows list (www.tezcat.com/~shows) you might have missed that tmbg are doing an instore at tower in schaumburg at 5:30 on 4/30, only a few short hours before the show, the time might be wrong, butt this is th information i have.. later dan ___ dan mcnevin | danlin@underworld.net cold meat productions | danlin@pimpz.org www.underworld.net/~danlin | danlin@acquiesce.org i've got a world that swings... | danlin@the-beatles.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704251421.JAA122588@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 09:15:23 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Hello Says Goodbye from what i understand, ordering hello is different from ordering from the tmbg ordering thing. when i talked to the reps from hello, (in an inquiry on the $166 super package of all four years and the t-shirt) they said that i would get it in about two weeks from the date that they got the order. oh, you can order by year. go to www.tmbg.com to find out more. there is no real club to join. think of it as a cd magazine like cmj rather than a cd club like bmg or columbia house. geoff At 05:54 PM 4/24/97 -0400, you wrote: > > >What really bugs me: > >The fact that things from Hello can only be obtained by being part of the >Club! What about us cheap bastards who don't want to pay for the ones we >don't want?!? > >Also, what will become of the left-over discs? Will they just sell them (by >year) until they're gone? And what about ME?? Say I wanted to order the 93 >set, with State Songs, but when I get it (5 years later) there's no state >songs! From what I've heard, I can't get reliable service from this! How >can I be sure that if I order something I'll ACTUALLY GET IT!?!? > >that is all >-ec > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704251423.JAA30168@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 09:17:04 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Be still, my internal parasite. take it back to the store with the receipt and exchange it for another copy. they will have no problem with an even exchange. it has plenty of photos, all of the restless covers (albums, eps...) and some keeno liner notes written by the johns. geoff At 04:59 PM 4/24/97 -0500, you wrote: > >As a purchaser of a bookletless THEN, I was wondering if there >was anything special inside it, save the lyrics. Any >new photos? Drawings? Pop-Outs? Should I go buy another >copy just to get a booklet? Can I sue restless? How can I >get Mainstream U.S.A. out of my head? Bye Bye. ^_^ > > >Mike "The big big whoredom scares me" Leffel > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: 4/24/97 St. Joe's U show! Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 07:46:56 -0700 >---------- >From: The Demonic Kangaroo[SMTP:tdk@cybercomm.net] >Sent: Friday, April 25, 1997 12:42 AM >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: 4/24/97 St. Joe's U show! > >Lie Still, Little Bottle (with the stick!) WE OF THE SEATTLE COMMUNITY DEMAND A SHOW WITH THE STICK!!! That being said, I'll slip back into obscurity now. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:04:49 -0400 (EDT) From: MIKE Subject: TMBG: gone for the summer Message-ID: hey guys, im unsubscribing for the summer, 'cause i wont have comp access and i dont want 42 thousand messages sitting in my box when i get back...so adios for now, its been fun SHOEHORN with TEETH (mike) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704251706.KAA19842@f7.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: For every one with dollar signs in his eyes Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 10:06:33 PDT >I return triumphant! Everyone, you can thank/blame Sarah "linnelgirl" for >dragging me back, as the case may be. :) Always good to have one of our own back in the fold...hee hee..*drool and laugh manaically* >>Him: "Did he ejaculate on stage?" >>I mean, I hope there arent some occaisonal occurances of John doing that >>on stage that he was expecting or something. > >Well, if you believe our old friend Coiled from the newsgroup (is he still >there?) John Linnell has urinated into the crowd on at least one occasion. Has not!!! Ewww. I hope you're kidding. If not, Mr. Linnell has gone WAY down in my estimation. (What next, Johnny, body piercing? Vinyl pants? Trouser-worm tricks?) >Same song, with the exception that the lyrics on the FS version say "he'll >tell our parents" rather than "he killed our parents." IMHO, the DAS version >is far superior -- instead of that weird drumming, there's that cool >keyboard sound. I dunno. I like "He killed" as opposed to "He'll tell", but the drumming is so cool. (Then again, anything Brian Doherty does is cool.) I just don't know, Gloria, i just don' know. >>We felt so guilty going in with out him but really, what could we do? > >Something else? Going out with whom? (I'm so nosey.) >Oh: I've just discovered what a damn brilliant piece of work RSWA is. Me too. I love that song. >"Olive Oyl" line (I somehow doubt TMBG actually got *that* from their record >execs, but you never know...), I don't doubt it a bit. John Linnell sings weird sometimes. (Before you Linnellites flame me, I say now that I'm not slagging Linnell. I love Linnell. I just can look at him objectively.) >"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank/laugh >hard, it's a long way to the bank," One of my fave snippets to sing aloud at work. My coworkers look at me and wonder. >Josh Anastasia * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704251924.MAA22636@f45.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Bye Bye for now... Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 12:24:40 PDT Listies- A wild, wooly weekend awaits me. (ha.) See you guys Monday. I'm still taking roll call for the KU show, which is in one week, I'm so psyched!!!!! Love, Anastasia This message brought to you by Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's my real name so stop asking already!!!!) ###################################################### "Don't call me at work again, oh no, the boss still hates me; I'm just tired, and I don't love you anymore; and there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go-I mean nice people-baby wait; I didn't mean to say 'nightmare'..."-TMBG, 'They'll Need A Crane' TMBG Info Club ID# 50982 TMBG Show at KU 5/3/97 (my first show...yippee!) **************************************************** Have a Cookie! at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 15:55:26 EST From: "Please don't sic smoke dog on me." Message-ID: <009B3519.8E12C140.78@kenyon.edu> Subject: TMBG: Meeting place at Kenyon Ok, I have some news about the Kenyon show. Security is forbidding backpacks(?) since they might be used to stash alcohol. So, to avoid a hassle, don't bring any oversized bag. A good place to meet may be at the north steps of Ascension hall. Finding it is easy... when you get to the field where the stage is set up, Ascension will be directly behind you when you face the stage. I'll try to check by every so often to welcome people from the list. The show starts at 2:00pm, and TMBG starts at 9pm. If it rains, the rain site is Gund Commons. To find it, as you go up the hill to enter Kenyon, turn left at the fourth street on the left and drive down one block and make a right. Gund Commons is the ski-lodge looking thing on the immediate left. I'll see you there... Tim Moyle ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:20:12 -0500 (EST) From: "MOP N' GLO" Subject: TMBG: Tonight is the night .... Message-id: <01II4N65O42Q936B8Z@grove.iup.edu> Organization: Indiana University of Pennsylvania I'm cheking out TMBG @ tonight's concert. This will be the first time I've seen them LIVE. I'm very excited. Does anyone have any special advice to give me before I attend. ( 9:00 pm , baby ! ). Thanks. ''' (O O) +---oOO-----(_)-----------+ | Jason Blair | Homepage : | (412) 357 - GORT | | mknd@oak.grove.iup.edu | http://www.iup.edu/~mknd/ +-------------------oOO---+ || || oooO Oooo =============== ===================== =========================== ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970425114408.005adc50@email.uc.edu> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 11:44:09 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Meet at KENYON Well, another thing about the show I was wondering is where exactly on campus is the show. I don't want to be wandering around Kenyon forever trying to follow the noise. Also, what time is everyone getting there? I'm planning on leaving Cincy around 4, which gets me to Kenyon at sometime around 6, I think. Maybe, there's a restaurant or something that everyone can meet at and have dinner. Just a thought... >Alright eveybody, the Kenyon show is in 1 1/2 short days! I am so excited >I can hardly think straight! This will be my third TMBG concert. Anybody >who's going, I want to meet some of you. Somebody take charge and arrange >a meeting spot for us. Preferably a Kenyon student. That would be ideal. >We need to make this meeting spot very obvious that list members would >recognize right away. Somebody else be creative, my brain is mush. > >-Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) >!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the >part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. > > ##################################### Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver "Everyone wants to see that grooovy thing..." ##################################### ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:43:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970425164322_-2036011080@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: DAS! Okay, so sue me. I've never called DAS. My parents won't let me call long distance. :P but I was at my dad's work yesterday. >:) Hee hee.. 10:30 AM. Is... jeez! Okay, yes, we all know Maine is the current song on there, and stuff, but... 10:30 am!!!! What's with you guys, eh? I get through? This doesn't sound right. YES I have Maine on tape and YES I still called DAS... :) It's the thrill of calling the Johns' phone machine in itself. Plus a song. :) sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970425164616.00f6e598@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:46:16 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Kenyon well I certainly hope you all enjoy yourselves. I'm not bitter. I really wish I could go, but you all have a good time. Really. I'm not bitter. Bring me back something nice. I'm not bitter. I really wanted to go, but I have to deliver mulch (I love fund-raisers), and I have to work on my Year-Long English project, which I started last week, which is due next monday. But I'm not bitter. Go. Have a good time. I'm not bitter. Evan "why don't they come somewhere in ohio where I can get to easily and not interfere with my schedule, or my academic pursuits, and why can't they just come to columbus again, and have me pay for a ticket? and why do they have like two concerts on college campuses (campi?) and they run off to australia or japan or whereverthehell they're headed next? and why do they have to stop touring for a while before their new album comes out, huh? I mean, I want the new album to come out, but I also wanna see them in concert again, and here I'm rambling, but it's better than doing my english project, which i've been working on for the past 4 hours. thank you and goodnite." Chakroff wow long post. I hate people who do that. -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970425171400.006acda8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 17:14:06 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS! I like it when I call Dial-A-Song and I have no idea what the song I'm hearing is. :P Actually, I've only gotten through to Dial-A-Song once (many months ago) and got 'The Feel-Good Sublet'...I had no idea what it was, so I sifted through the tmbg.org lyrics section until I found something with the word 'refrigerator' and 'sublet'...the only words I could really make out. :P Oh well...ttyl! -Adam At 04:43 PM 4/25/97 -0400, you wrote: >Okay, so sue me. I've never called DAS. My parents won't let me call long >distance. :P but I was at my dad's work yesterday. >:) Hee hee.. > >10:30 AM. Is... jeez! Okay, yes, we all know Maine is the current song on >there, and stuff, but... 10:30 am!!!! What's with you guys, eh? I get >through? This doesn't sound right. >YES I have Maine on tape and YES I still called DAS... :) >It's the thrill of calling the Johns' phone machine in itself. Plus a song. >:) > >sarah > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970425174105.0071bd50@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 17:41:24 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: For every one with dollar signs in his eyes >Oh: I've just discovered what a damn brilliant piece of work RSWA is. The >lyrics are excellent: that truly inspired pun in "There's a place for those >who love their poetry/just across from the sign that says 'pros only,'" the Has anyone considered the double meaning here. Sure the booklet also says "pros only," I think there may also be a reference to "prose only." Prose being the opposite of poetry, I think it would make the line all the more ironic, and much wittier. =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: tnbg in-store Message-ID: <19970425.133050.8135.1.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:23:41 EDT Someone please videotape the Chicago instore. Please!!!! Larry "Who needs the Kwikie-Mart?" - Apu Nahasapeenapetilon http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: 4/24/97 St. Joe's U show! Date: Sat, 26 Apr 97 18:05:59 PDT | >Lie Still, Little Bottle (with the stick!) | | | WE OF THE SEATTLE COMMUNITY DEMAND A SHOW WITH THE STICK!!! | | That being said, I'll slip back into obscurity now. (: | | Jesse | Jesse, of course, has no right to speak as a representative voice of the Seattle Community. I, for one, have no idea what the stick is, so would never DEMAND a show with the stick... mighty presumptuous if you ask me. :) Michelle P.S. Any generous Bostonians willing to do a little non TMBG research for me.... a friend won us a a weekend trip to Boston May 30-June 1, which includes tickets to some concert on saturday, May 31... she knows Jon Bon Jovi will be playing, but not any of the other bands... if you could send me (and only me, because I'M SURE no one else on the list cares) some info. on who's playing at this show I would be most appreciative. Not that it really matters -- Free Trip to Boston! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 21:04:37 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199704260104.VAA12706@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: TMBG: For every one with dollar signs in his eyes At 10:06 AM 4/25/97 PDT, Anastasia Hunt wrote: >Always good to have one of our own back in the fold...hee hee..*drool and laugh >manaically* Does this mean that people here remember me and *don't* despise me? >Has not!!! Ewww. I hope you're kidding. If not, Mr. Linnell has gone WAY down in >my estimation. This comes from the mouth of Coiled, who, among other things, made it his business to throw homosexual slurs and insults at pretty much every established newsgroup member. I doubt very much that he was doing anything other than talking out his ass. /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3361774C.24A@swbell.net> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 20:32:28 -0700 From: Gabriel Garcia Marquez Organization: Jesus for Jews Subject: TMBG: But it's not. Everytime they play that tired new U2 song "Staring at the Sun", I hear the first few notes and think it's Dig My Grave. They sound identical at the intro. And it's all down hill from there. musing, josh ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Apr 97 22:24:42 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: calvin show! Message-Id: <970425.222523.EDT.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> hi all! did *anyone* bootleg the calvin college show last monday in GR, MI? i'd really love to have it--please, please let me know!!! take care! peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33617EDD.D8E@BlazeNet.net> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 00:04:45 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: TMBG: hello all I just went to see a concert by none other then the twin quasars of rock, They Might Be Giants. It was even much better then the concert that I went to last years by the two johns. There was a part about the concert that sucked. We had to wait through 2 hours of violent femmes to see tmbg. In the end, though, it was all worth it. TMBG are the greatest in the world At the end I was very happy, except I noticed that the Giants played virtually nothing from John Henry(by far the best CD ever). Why was that??? I wish they would have played end of the tour or subliminal!!! They started with the critic intro!!!!! I was so pumped about that!! My life is now vindicated for the next 5 years or soooo. I love John and John more then life itself Steve ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Praise(?) 4 TMBG Message-ID: <19970426.000825.5078.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 00:07:42 EDT Hey all, my friend Adam forwarded this review to me . Enjoy. 21 1/5 looong hours till TMBG performs at Kenyon... -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. --------- Begin forwarded message ---------- From: evankleve@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) To: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com Subject: Praise(?) 4 TMBG Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 23:47:38 EDT Message-ID: <19970425.234821.5150.0.evankleve@juno.com> --------- Begin forwarded message ---------- From: Paul and Adam Noble To: evankleve@juno.com Subject: Praise(?) 4 TMBG Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 21:56:45 -0400 Message-ID: <2.2.16.19970425215823.3cf756a4@pop.cybergate.net> They Might Be Giants: Factory Showroom Elektra Alternative Rating: 73 "Pet Name" (319K WAV) RealAudio: 28.8 or 14.4 | About RealAudio "XTC vs. Adam Ant" (324K WAV) RealAudio: 28.8 or 14.4 | About RealAudio For the New York City duo of John Flansburgh and John Linnell, known as They Might Be Giants, eclecticism has become something of an obsession. When it's compelling, their material evokes a kind of worthwhile whimsy. When it's not, the band crosses the line into hyper-calculated self-indulgence. Factory Showroom, the group's sixth album, stays for the most part on the compelling side, with more traditional arrangements and minimal bizarre excursions. "Exquisite Dead Guy," with its unexpected cello and chanted "ba ba-dahs," and the ironic, rosy-eyed paean to love, "New York City," both highlight the duo's dizzying sense of what makes a cool pop song. "Pet Name" even manages a kind of tender, white-soul danceability. Over the course of a few years, the Giants have expanded their own musical boundaries to the point where truly anything goes. If that means power chords abutting classical violins ("XTC vs. Adam Ant"), so be it. There's even a song ("I Can Hear You") recorded without electricity at the Edison Laboratory on a wax cylinder recorder circa 1898. Now that's low-fi. Of course, not every experiment works, but even a casual listener can appreciate T.M.B.G.'s zany and adventurous spirit, and the unexpectedly catchy results it often yields. --Bob Gulla --------- End forwarded message ---------- --------- End forwarded message ---------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704260455.AAA16089@mail3.voicenet.com> From: "Ben Greenberg" Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 00:49:19 +0000 Subject: TMBG: 4/24 Philadelphia Show Sorry for being late and if there was already a review, sorry I accidentally erased a bunch my digests. This may be long; you are forwarned. I got to St. Joes, got metal detected (heh) and got me the World Tour 2040 Tee and a sticker. The show was a double billing type thing (Violent Femmes & Them). The first opening act was The Gravel Pit. My god were they bad. Really bad. Then the next opening act, Phil Codie or something like that. They were better, but still not great. A small intermision and the Violent Femmes came on. Their act was terribly boring, mainly due to the fact that most of their songs sucked (sorry VF fans). Then They came on. I was soooo happy. Here's the setlist: Critic Intro (woo!) New York City Particle Man She's Actual Size James K. Polk Spider Birdhouse in Your Soul S-E-X-X-Y Lie Still, Little Bottle (The Stick!) Metal Detector How Can I Sing Like a Girl ("This is for all you foxy, foxy guys out there") Counterfeit Faker (yes, fakeR. It ruled) Spy->Stayin' Alive->I am not your broom Shoehorn With Teeth Pet Name No One Knows My Plan (Conga line, of course) The Guitar Instanbul Turn Around **ENCORE 1** XTC vs. Adam Ant Equisite Dead Guy (Puppets) Till My Head Falls Off **ENCORE 2** Older (YESSSSS!) We're The Replacements HIGHLIGHTS James K. Polk: Confetti Cannon, as usual. "Every night the confetti cannon is filled with something not nessesarily confetti." It was big confetti this night. Spider: This was...interesting. I didn't expect to hear it, and I honestly don't know if it is in their current live repetiour. Weird. Lie Still, Little Bottle: I don't know if "The Stick" is new or not. I've never heard it talked about before. It looks like a big rain stick and when hit against the floor makes a cool deep sound thats hard to describe. I friend told me the Grateful Dead had something similar; I wouldn't know. Counterfeit Faker: Linnell said this was the part of the concert dedicated to country western. Then they did spy...? Spy->Stayin' Alive->I Am Not Your Broom This was cool (and Flans CAN sing like a girl!). After Broom they went back into Spy and went back and forth with the audience shouting spy and cords and stuff. Neat. Shoehorn With Teeth: Linnell said, "And now more stuff from They Might Be Giants. More Stuff, Less Bancock. Thats our motto." I don't know what 'bancock' is. someone please fill me in. Then the glockenspeil was brought out. At the end They made a big deal of Dan Hickey. They did this a few times during the show. I think They just like saying his name :-). No One Knows My Plan: Good Conga line on this one. And only one. Instanbul: This was good because the guard finally let us get to the floor. We pushed our way to front and were 10 feet away from Them. It was a great show. Both Johns seemed very happy. Flans ripped out his strings at the end of Replacements and Linnell replaced 'decrepit' for 'forgetful' in TMHF once again. I guess he likes the change. Thanks for listening. -Ben "More stuff, less bancock" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 00:53:49 -0500 (EST) From: "MOP N' GLO" Subject: TMBG: TMBG @ IUP, Indiana PA Message-id: <01II551VNE6Q936B8Z@grove.iup.edu> Organization: Indiana University of Pennsylvania I just got back from TMBG concert here @ IUP. 4/25/97 I was really impressed. It was my first show and I'm sure it won't be my last. I hear they are ending their tour w/in a few weeks. That's too bad. I waited to meet them after the concert... They just said "HI" and walked right by us. there were only approximately 10 fans waiting for 1/2 hour to chat briefly w/ them. They just walked by. I was sad. They did walk away nicely, though. And I did get one of Jon's picks .. I very much enjoyed their puppet show & STICK on stage ! I couldn't stop laughing. ''' (O O) +---oOO-----(_)-----------+ | Jason Blair | Homepage : | (412) 357 - GORT | | mknd@oak.grove.iup.edu | http://www.iup.edu/~mknd/ +-------------------oOO---+ || || oooO Oooo =============== ===================== =========================== ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 19:57:27 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970425195723_-998453654@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Another review of Them Hello 41- I found yet another review of TMBG. This one is by the Chicago Reader. A paper that's known for giving everybody a bad review. I recall a BNL review, calling it music for pre-schoolers, and the reviewer really did think more of the intellect of the concert going audience of Chicago. Wow. Here it is. They Might Be Giants 4/29 & 30, Metro; 4/30, Tower On Clark They've outlived their shtick, true, but they've also learned some new tricks: the new album Factory Showroom grabbed me with "S-e-x-x-y," a geek-boy goof on Diamonds and Pearls-era Prince, complete with way-out-of-control fuzz-guitar solo and sticky string-section coda. The rest of the album is more like what they've always dished out, and while it gets really old in large doses, they can still write aggressively quirky gems as good as "Don't Let's Start" or "Particle Man." So maybe they are as clever as they think they are--at least some of the time. Adam ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-115 ******************************