Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-116 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 116 Sunday, 27 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-115 TMBG: IUP Show--->Review and Set List TMBG: Robbie Grabill's Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey TMBG: Concert Dates TMBG: The Stick! TMBG: ACOUSTIC TMBG TMBG: Kenyon!!!! :) TMBG: kenyon TMBG: They in Cal TMBG: Need Assistant, Free CD TMBG: Need Assistant, Free CD, Take 2 TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Re: TMBG: For every one with dollar signs in his eyes RE: TMBG: 4/24/97 St. Joe's U show! TMBG: Shows TMBG: music on web, State Songs TMBG: Back To Skull/The Guitar Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199704260827.SAA07587@hurricane.netspace.net.au> From: "Robyn Bowman" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-115 Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 18:26:30 +1000 Hi everyone, We're new to the list. Reading it, I could be forgiven for thinking everyone on the Internet lives in the United States (admittedly, you did invent it) and was born not long after I got my first They Might Be Giants record. Ah well, I'm trying to bridge the genration gap here, not to mention several very large oceans. Forgive me. Age (as well as lack of age) are no impediment to music. I'll bet John and John are as old as us anyway. I have little to say except that we saw They Might Be Giants in Sydney (Australia, where we live) not too ago. They were excellent and we had a great night. Yes, the puppets are a hoot. My favourite song was Metal Detector. We hadn't got our own copy of factory Showroom at the time and didn't know all the songs, but we still had a great time (in spite of the fact that we had driven about 300 miles home from holidays that afternoon with our two children. (I told you there was a gap) and were really tired). We saw TMBG twice a few years ago after Flood was released. I don't think I can say which gig we enjoyed more. (Being old with children, just the novelty of a kid-free outing is exciting). TMBG don't get much air-play here. The commercial stations think their too weird and the independent stations think they are too poppy. You can't win. Only one or two DJs on the best "youth" station play them. We hope for more and listening to a great pop album like Factory Showroom I can't understand why they aren't more popular. Here is a question. What can you in the US tell me about Fine Young Fellows. I know they exist, but they are unknow here. What is the relevance of the reference to them in Twisting. Also, are there any Aussies lurking out there. Better go. Robyn and Mal in Australia. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704260838.IAA24828@f01n05.cac.psu.edu> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 04:40:14 -0400 From: The Flying Pollock Subject: TMBG: IUP Show--->Review and Set List They Might Be Giants at Indiana University of Pennsylvania: You fellows going to Kenyon are in for a show. TMBG played a great deal of songs that I had never heard in concert, and never really expected to hear in concert. In the other shows I have either been to or read about, it seems that TMBG always plays certain songs at every concert, but this was a large exception. Perhaps this is a repercussion of THEN: being released, but I liked it greatly. However, it seemed the rest of the crowd did not appreciate the song choice as much as I did. It seemed that a decent portion of them came for the opening band; a bunch of boys named The Gravel Pit, who, despite some severe overabundance of guitar, weren't too shabby for an opening band---at least the 13 year olds beside me seemed to like them. When TMBG came out, there was very little dancing/moshing which rather disappointed me...not that I can really complain too much since I was front and center. Perhaps Flans noticed this when he commented at the start of "Human Sacrifice" that TMBG's two specialties were 1. Human Sacrifice, and 2. Spreading disappointment world-wide. As you can see by the SET LIST, it was APOLLO18 all the way, which Flans referred to as the "Apollo 13 soundtrack". Another point was that every song was a Flans song. On the albums, I would say there's about a 70/30 Linnell-Flans ratio...but Flans took the inverse of that ratio tonight. Maybe that was why he was wearing the "Mr. Horsepower" shirt... What was with the wimpy campus security guards? If anyone had gone crowdsurfing, they may well have ended up at Mr. Graham Maby's feet. ------SET LIST------ -=-=-=-=-=-=- {Critic Intro} NYC PARTICLE MAN SHE'S ACTUAL SIZE JAMES K POLK (confetti cannon) SPIDER BIRDHOUSE LIE STILL LITTLE BOTTLE (Flans landed the stick on his toes once by accident) WHERE YOUR EYES DON'T GO S-E-X-X-Y MEET JAMES ENSORE (suicidally slow version) METAL DETECTOR I'VE LEARNED THE VALUE OF HUMAN SACRIFICE (in key of A) HOW CAN I SING LIKE A GIRL? COUNTERFEIT FAKER/ HI, WE'RE THE REPLACEMENTS (Something that sorted out the fans from the Floodies) OLDER/ SPY--> (I AM NOT YOUR BROOM)(part of HUMAN SAC) -->SPY-ENDING/ SHOEHORN WITH TEETH PET NAME (when this was announced, a collective GROAN was raised by the crowd...Why does TMBG play this song?) latin/NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN/ (I have no idea what "latin" is, maybe a strange 30 second Flans song?...uncertain) THE GUITAR ISTANBUL TURN AROUND TWISTING DIG MY GRAVE ---------------------- XTC Vs. ADAM ANT/ EXQUISITE DEAD GUY (the Johns did not sing--it was a recording-- but the puppet heads on a stick made up for it...) TIL MY HEAD FALLS OFF ======================== The crowd was dead. How can someone NOT get excited about TMBG live? Even PET NAME sounded good! I guess TMBG is on an APOLLO kick for the while. I get on one of those every now and then. I just read a Philly review, and it seems that this set list is staying a constant. I guess you guys in Ohio know what to expect. It's a really good show, and it's a really unusual show. If someone who had never heard TMBG before (outside of PARTICLE MAN of COURSE) they would think that Flans is the lead singer. Very odd... Of course, odd is good. I also met Dylan from the list (a kind beneficiary of the IUP phone number) and {Dylan}---> I would be happy to make a copy of the GENUINE set list for your buddy if you send your mailing address to me (at Jaluit22@aol.com). Poor Dylan lost his ticket before the show, and then was busted making a bootleg of the concert. If anyone got away with such that horrendous crime, I'd be pleased to have one. Until Syracuse, New York (whenever that date may be...) casey (who is basking in a glow of TMBG-deafness right now...) =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- The Flying Pollock-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Casey Grunnet * --------------------------------------------- Penn State University=========== ============================ ==TMBG----XFiles---Rocky Horror== ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 10:45:41 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: Robbie Grabill's Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey Message-Id: It seems that I am back. Having read all of the calvin posts and none of the st. joes posts, I have only half of an idea what you peop[le have or haven't heard. So I'll just start talking. We (me and mon pere) checked into the Holiday in Grand Rapids MIchigan on Monday, and seeing as the venue was only about half a mile away, we decided to stake out the place. We still had no idea who the "special guest" was going to be, but it was assumed that it was gravel pit (be respectful. not grael pit it was more like th gr\|l it) So we checked out the auditorium and were greeted by the wonderful wonderfulness of seats. bleh. So, all non interestingness aside, pretend we stayed there for four hours, no we didn't, qand it's now 7. yes it is. Okay, so it's seven o clock, and we are about 11th and 12th. (Note, if you are one of the people mentioned in this and feel offended, good. I'm only going to compliment good acts and nitpick (sorry adam) at the bad ones) The first extreme nusisance if nothing else was directly in front of me. We wasn't that bad, but if there is someone on this list named Jordan (I know there are many), has albino blonde hair, and was having a war by tearing pieces of his shoes and throwing them at "Mike" (Mike I like. He kicked Jordan. Many times) HI! I don't like you! I wanted to kick you in the head! People I did like, the girl who turned around and told him to shut up. More people I don't like, the scary biker people who cut. More people, the preppy 30 year old with the girlfriend with glasses. This guy was unbelievable. He was trying to impress his girlfriend by cutting to the front. Quote: "YEah, these punks won't mess with me" More to come from him later. Doors open, I got in the sixth row, as there were four other lines. Favorite pre-show activity.... Looking at the signed skull someone had. Very cool. When Gravel Pit Came on, I thought they were good, but I honestly couldn't tell you. The sound people sucked. For both parts. Somewhere in the midst of the tape of the ska band doing beatles covers, I started feeling sick. Right then TMBG came on. I won't bother with a list of songs because it's exactly the same as the rest of the lists being posted. There was a pretty succesful conga line, but I was so sick all I could do was sort of gently conga in place. Enter 30 year old preppy. He and his girlfriend obviously think this is funny. I look over at him and do one of these :< :( :| :) :> ;) :P Well, without the tounge and with more anger at the begining and end. My tries to get some memorabillia were not answered, as the roadies were college students, only giving stuff to college girls. As I'm only going to put in conten, I'lkl warp O I E I EIE I EI EIE IE EI EEI It's now wednesday. We begin driving to new concord ohio (I'm better now) and are listening to 107.9, the end. This is the best radio station in the world! Even befroe they played them. But here's what happened with them. Announcer: Hello? Woman: Hello! Rob's Mind: Hi. Woman: Could you do me a favor? Rob's Mind: Could you play some They Might Be Giants? Woman: Could you play some... Rob's Mind: They Might Be Giants Woman: They Might Be Giants? For some reason, I knew this was going to happen. They played birdhouse and ana ng. We drove untill m y dad called and found out that the concert was cancelled. (I'll save my anger. I'll need it later ion the post. Moving to thursday) We came to St. Joes a little bit early, and we found out that gravel pit, a band caled Pat Cody or something, Violent Femmes and TMBG were all playing. And that because we weren't students, we had to sit. Emphasis on had to. We got there, and it was empty. Literally, Gravel Pit played for 20 minutes, maybe 20 people were there. Pat Cody came, maybe 20 more people. Then they all came pouring in, and I decided to buy Gravel Pit's CD. It ias realllllly good. And if you ever see it, buy it! Violent Femmes were okay, but they need to work on the middle of their set. During the set I saw Jed and Lucky from gravel pit down on the floor, and decided to take a chance. We tried to quicklly tried to waltz onto the floor, and get an autograph. My dad got In, but the ,old security guard grabbed my wrist, and I was so pissed I yanked away and probably came close to breaking his arm. Then all these guard people ran over and started telling me all sorts of wacky crap, and even that I shouldn't be here. (?) When my dad came out I briskfully thanked them and walked back upstairs. He had gottewn the autograph on the CD, so all was good. TMBG were exactly like last time, except the moved older and we're the replacement to the end, and took out where your eyes don't go and Meet James Ensor. My dad managed to sneak back into the floor and get set list from the sound and light guys. We also met Jed again back behind the buiolding after the show, and got one of the cool staff shirts that the conceret organizers where wearing. It has VCiolent femmes and TMBG on it. We decided to stop waiting for TMBG after about 30 minutes, but it was 1:30 anyway. Skipping I went to ESPN. One of the guys had the globe article on TMBG hanging up. I'm sure there's stuff I forgot, but I'll do it when it comes to me. ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ | . \ ___ | |_ ___ _ _ _| |_ | | / _> _ _ ___ | |_ <_>| || | | || | | // . \| . \/ ._>| '_> | | | |_ _ | <_/\| '_><_> || . \| || || | | || | |_\_\\___/|___/\___.|_| |_| |___|<_> `____/|_| <___||___/|_||_||_| |_||_| "Call the undertaker, call the police." -"Counterfeit Faker" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 09:16:46 PST Subject: TMBG: Concert Dates Message-ID: <19970426.092004.12134.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Hey! I live in Portland, Oregon. Does anyone know when TMBG is supposed to be coming here? I really want to go. I wanted to go to their concert when they came here after releasing John Henry, but I learned about it two days before (no I'm not a floodie). Tickets were sold out. I have to go this time. Thank you very much. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 10:39:17 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: The Stick! Message-ID: Josh, buddy, we missed you bunches. Glad to have you back among us! C'mon, folks, this is from the mouth of Coiled, who also says that liking How Can I Sing LIke A Girl? is a tell-tale sign of homosexuality. I strongly doubt that a man as reserved as Mr. Linnell would do anything like this. Maybe The Stick doesn't travel well... they didn't have it at any of their West Coast shows this tour. :( --nicole the wonder nerd who just got the Video Bootleg Vol.2 and is extremely happy! I'm lookin' to trade for the Elektra-era videos... e-mail me back if you're interested... I've got some cool stuff... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704261817.NAA38524@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 13:11:26 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: ACOUSTIC TMBG hey ya'll, i'm surprised by just how few responses i got about the kit-kat acoustic break (yes, sponsored by the candy bar) tmbg interview i mentioned. again, the set list from the 1/2 hour interview is: james k. polk how can i sing like a girl? your own worst enemy older new york city ana ng remember, these are all acoustic performances, and are unavailable anywhere else. also on the promo cd of the show is a show with the cheese and duncan sheik, which i haven't listened to yet. oh, and in an advanced response to all of the emails that i will inevitably get about this radio show, you may be able to get your own copy...here's the info from the cd itself: Produced by Rob Stevens Executive Producer: College SoundTrack (a division of Track Marketing) 530 Fifth Avenue, NY NY 10036 Phone: (212) 921-2100 Associate Producer: Jamie Levit So if you want a copy of this promo cd, i suggest that you call or write to the phone number/address above and pretend that you're with a radio station that is interested in the program for your station. If anyone tries this, email me to let me know. I want to know if it works. Love, Geoff (Slightly hung over at the moment and listening to JUNTA by Phish) * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970426143217.0029f0f8@email.uc.edu> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 14:32:18 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: TMBG: Kenyon!!!! :) Well, in about an hour and a half I'll be leaving for the Kenyon show. YIIPPEE! I should get there around 6, assuming that my car doesn't give me any trouble. I will try to send a set list, comments, raves, etc... in the morning. (it's a long drive back, and I'll probably just want to sleep. Went to Barnes & Nobles yesterday, and asked about the EP's I had ordered(WDTSS, and Back to Skull) and found out that Back to Skull is on it's way, and WDTSS is not in stock with their distributor, so... But, anyways, the clerk, was like, 'so you like TMBG?' I said yeah, and I was going to see them in concert. He asked if Dial-a-Song was still up! It was cool, a clerk in a music store, who actually knows something about TMBG other than 'They sing Particle Man, right?' We talked for 15 minutes while my friend was 'browsing'. Sorry for rambling, just had to say something. ##################################### Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver "Everyone wants to see that grooovy thing..." ##################################### ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970426161348.00f6d460@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 16:13:48 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: kenyon Since I can't go, I want to see a full report in the morning! Make sure you include EVERY possible little detail, and write it in a natural flowing writing style, so that it makes it seem as if I am actually there. It will be graded out of 100 points... I will post the complete break-down of that 100 later... ps- All I really want is a good review and a setlist posted, so that I can imaging what COULD HAVE BEEN.... -ec ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 13:05:29 PST Subject: TMBG: They in Cal Message-ID: <19970426.131754.8247.0.blenderhed@juno.com> From: blenderhed@juno.com (Phil C Mettler) Does anyone know if They are coming to California anytime soon? I am willing to drive anywhere in the state to see them, and perhaps to Nevada or Oregon. Any help is appreciated. Phil Mettler Get rid of...SPIDER! ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199704262159.RAA02096@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Need Assistant, Free CD Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 17:59:29 -0400 (EDT) I need a menial data entry person to help me do some new cool stuff on the web site. Basically I need someone to retype the discography in a specific format. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199704262212.SAA02125@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Need Assistant, Free CD, Take 2 Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 18:12:43 -0400 (EDT) Whoops, little mailer mistake. :-) Back to what I was saying. I need an assistant for a menial data entry task. Basically it involves retyping the discography in a particular format, and then typing in track lists for all of the releases I don't already have a track list entered. Trust me, this is a very boring thing to do, I just did the first few entries to test things out. I expect this task will take 10-12 hours total. While I can't offer much I'm prepared to give the wonderful person who does this for me a free CD (your choice of any of the CD's that cdnow.com offers) and of course a mention on the web site. I'd like to have this done soon. If you think you could do this in the next week to week and a half and would like to help out please let me know. Thanks. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33627EF9.2C29@geocities.com> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 15:17:29 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Ways to defend oneself against TMBG-haters Two reasons for this post... one, to start up this cool thread once again, and second, because it's actually relevant to the topic of TMBG. (Whooaaaaaa!) One of my fave ways to get rid of a TMBG-hater is to recite a few lines from The Kitten Intro. You wouldn't believe how scared ppl get if you begin to ramble about big blue cigars... Moron: They Might Be Giants? They suck! You: Really... you've heard them before, right? Moron: Of course! They played that "Hey Let's Go" song. You: Come on, put away your big blue cigars, and make way for They Might Be Giants! Moron: What?! You: There's a new car on the horizon... Moron: Huh!? You: It's coming very slowly. It makes a noise. Moron: Go away! You: It's got KITTENS painted all over it... with a new kind of FUR. CLEANER, but with a unique smelllll. (the accents are essential... it really freaks ppl out) Moron: Aaah!! You're scaring me! You From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: TMBG: For every one with dollar signs in his eyes Anastasia Hunt wrote: ..... >Trouser-worm Worm?? WORM??? Hey - we're talking snake here. This be anaconda country =;] Joe "Size is not important - it's what you do with it" Keith -- "No-one is completely worthless - They can always serve as a bad example" - Chumbawamba ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 00:15:23 +0100 (BST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970425145122.20b77214@popmail.dircon.co.uk> From: Joe Keith Subject: RE: TMBG: 4/24/97 St. Joe's U show! McClusky, Jesse wrote: >>Lie Still, Little Bottle (with the stick!) > >WE OF THE SEATTLE COMMUNITY DEMAND A SHOW WITH THE STICK!!! WE THE PEOPLE OF EUROPE DEMAND A SHOW - STICK OR NO STICK!!! Joe -- "No-one is completely worthless - They can always serve as a bad example" - Chumbawamba ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 17:22:18 PST Subject: TMBG: Shows Message-ID: <19970426.172259.3678.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) THE PEOPLE OF PORTLAND OREGON DEMAND A SNAKE. (More specifically a snake head. Preferably eating the head on the opposite side.) ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 00:31:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970427003132_285060774@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: music on web, State Songs Does anyone know how to put midi music on a web page so that it will play when someone goes to that web site? Also for all those who wanted to know if there were any State Songs on the web its at http://blamo.simplenet.com/tmbg/soundindex.html. But they are all mp3 formatted. TmbgManiac ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 21:41:38 +0000 From: Lance Bustrum Message-ID: <33627653.79C7@earthlink.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Back To Skull/The Guitar Hello All: I have extra copies of the Back To Skull EP and The Guitar EP that are **still sealed** (can you believe that?!?) and ready to find a new home. If anyone is interested, please e-mail me! =) Lance ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-116 ******************************