Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-117 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 117 Monday, 28 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: My Kenyon experience Re: TMBG: The Stick! TMBG: Kenyon Re: TMBG: My Kenyon experience TMBG: "latin" TMBG: My mistake TMBG: I Have Learnt The Value of Human Sacrifice Re: TMBG: ACOUSTIC TMBG] Re: TMBG: The Stick! TMBG: yet another "we the ppl" Re: TMBG: The Stick! Re: TMBG: yet another "we the ppl" Re: TMBG: yet another "we the ppl" TMBG: Birdhouse in Your Soul lyrics? Re: TMBG: The Stick! Re: TMBG: yet another "we the ppl" TMBG: Indiana University of PA review, slightly tardy Re: TMBG: The Stick! Re: TMBG: yet another "we the ppl" TMBG: Bootleg List TMBG: DORIS CUNNINGHAM!!! TMBG: PLEASE HELP ME!!! Re: TMBG: DORIS CUNNINGHAM!!! TMBG: Re: Doris Cunningham Re: TMBG: The Stick! TMBG: Cowtown TMBG: IUP show Re: TMBG: IUP show/Recorders... TMBG: They for $4 Re: TMBG: IUP show/Recorders... Re: TMBG: They for $4 Re: TMBG: They for $4 Re: TMBG: They for $4 sort of TMBG: Mtv Re: TMBG: IUP show/Recorders... Re: TMBG: IUP show/Recorders... TMBG: What LP??? Re: TMBG: IUP show/Recorders... Re: TMBG: They for $4 Re: TMBG: What LP??? TMBG: John-Equality TMBG: Fuaaahht Re: TMBG: John-Equality TMBG: Bad T:TEY booklets Re: TMBG: Fuaaahht Re: TMBG: John-Equality Re: TMBG: Fuaaahht Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 02:24:11 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: My Kenyon experience Message-ID: Well here I am, your friendly Canadian on location in Ada, Ohio, just back from Gambier and the lovely grounds of Kenyon College where I saw an excellent free live outdoor performance by TMBG. Security, by the time I got there, was nonexistent and it was more than easy not only to gain access to the grounds and to secure a good spot in front of the stage but also to smuggle in recording devices of every kind. I arrived there with our friend Amy and her friend Woody and everyone's friend Alex and it wasn't until the end of the show until I ran into Ryan Staib, but he's a good guy so I'm glad I did. By the way if you saw a guy with short dark hair, black jeans, the Hello bird T shirt and a leather jacket then you saw me. My Purdue attire tomorrow will be similar but I'll have a TMBG shirt on instead. Anyway I got an excellent spot very close to the stage and for around half of the show it seemed that no one was planning to mosh or crowd surf and this was excellent. However once the conga line for No One Knows My Plan was formed, all hell broke loose and I was forced very far back and separated from my friends. I managed to make my way closer to the stage again a couple of songs later, and generally my vantage point was excellent. However that's when the crowd surfing and cup/frisbee tossing began. The players consisted of John and John as well as Dan (drums) and Graham (bass), and it all fairly rocked. I got a set list from the sound/lighting guys and here's what they played: Istanbul NYC James K. Polk Sleeping In The Flowers She's Actual Size Spider We're The Replacements Counterfeit Faker "Here's a song we wrote just for you..." SEXXY Snail Shell Spy/I Am Not Your Broom Twisting No One Knows My Plan (written as "Latin NO 1.") The Guitar Shoehorn With Teeth Pet Name Particle Man Til My Head Falls Off Dig My Grave "no one drive home with anyone drunk...and no one drive home with anyone _drunk_..." ---------- Older XTC Vs Adam Ant Exquisite Dead Guy (Both Flans and Linnell moved the heads around into odd poses over the audience and around the drummer - these heads are far more frightening than the old ones, by the way). Birdhouse In Your Soul The songs FAKER, GUITAR and XTC on the set list have a TM after them for some reason, and after Birdhouse there is written "LOST ANYONE?" I assume this means they left the option open to perform They Got Lost, but who is to say. Anyway the energy level of the band was excellent, and I sincerely can find no complaint about seeing TMBG for free at a good outside venue in nice weather. I also met a nice kid named Ben from Pittsburgh, if you know him, say hello for me. This was my eighth TMBG concert and my sixth in the United States, and for the most part I've found everyone I've met to be friendly. There were a couple of drunk people who tried to communicate with me in various ways but to no avail, and no unfortunate incidents occurred as a result of this. Later on, when I have more time, I'll fill you in on the finer details of my adventures as a Canadian travelling through the United States. What I've found, at least for me, is that it doesn't take much for weird things to happen, and, I'm sure there's more to come. I'll write about Indiana tomorrow, as I plan to attend that TMBG show, and until then, goodnight. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the new webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* "Sugar is granulated happiness. It's a friend." --David Lynch ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: The Stick! Message-ID: <19970427.023149.8878.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 02:31:17 EDT > C'mon, folks, this is from the mouth of >Coiled, who also says that liking How Can I Sing LIke A Girl? is a >tell-tale sign of homosexuality. I strongly doubt that a man as >reserved >as Mr. Linnell would do anything like this. > Flansburgh sings that song, not Linnell. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Kenyon Message-ID: <19970427.023149.8878.3.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 02:31:17 EDT Oh wow, what a show! I just wish They played longer. Oh well. Anyway, I had the most interesting day. I'm not used to that area, I live near Cleveland. This was complete Hicktown! While the first band was on we got bored and just drove in one direction for like 45 minutes. It was so hilarious to us to see how much nothing there was. Just nnoooottthhhiiiinnnnggg. Seven billion miles of nothing. We ended up eating at a place called "Dairy World." Anyway, the band Rigatta 69 was awesome. Before the Gravel Pit we went to KFC for dinner. I was pissed off because we were slightly late getting back and They had just finished Their first song when we got back (Istanbole). The talking heads were awesome. My favorite parts of the concert were Snail Shell, She's Actual Size and most of all Dig My Grave. I wish so much that they did Where Your Eyes Don't Go. I wanted Them to do that so much, it's my favorite song. I will someday. Next time They're near me. Well, words cannot even bigin to describe how awesome it was so I won't try. I just wish it could be longer. I'd start to be a little satisfied after four hours. They COULD do it. Going to see THEM is a religious experience for me. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: My Kenyon experience Message-ID: <19970427.024045.8878.4.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 02:40:35 EDT >. However once the conga line for No >One >Knows My Plan was formed, all hell broke loose and I was forced very >far >back and separated from my friends. I managed to make my way closer >to >the stage again a couple of songs later, and generally my vantage >point >was excellent. Wow, the Conga line was my golden oppurtunity to get closer. I just slipped right through and got front row for the rest of the show. Extremely cool. I'm always lucky this way. At the EMU show, my tickets were for the middle of the balcony, but I went down to the front row, leaning on the stage. Life is good. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: "latin" Message-ID: <19970427.055141.9526.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 07:52:50 EDT >latin/NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN/ (I have no idea what "latin" is, > maybe a strange 30 >second Flans > song?...uncertain) it;s called "long strong latin" it's pretty kewlio. i can't think right now cuz i haven;t gotten any sleep in the past 36 hours (grrrr.... i hate being sick). so i'll try to post later. we normally sing in a vocal frequency range well above the audible range of your puny little earth ears but i tell you something... you oughta bring your dogs and cats out here cuz they would love this show... ----Man or Astroman? love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704271219.WAA10144@hurricane.netspace.net.au> From: "Robyn Bowman" Subject: TMBG: My mistake Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:09:59 +1000 Here is a question. What can you in the US tell me about Fine Young > Fellows. I know they exist, but they are unknow here. What is the relevance > of the reference to them in Twisting. Silly me. You all knew I meant Young Fresh Fellows. I don't know what I was thinking. Robyn in Australia. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 12:02:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199704271602.MAA24247@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: I Have Learnt The Value of Human Sacrifice BTW, thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I missed you too. :) >They Might Be Giants at Indiana University of Pennsylvania: >I'VE LEARNED THE VALUE OF HUMAN SACRIFICE (in key of A) YES!!!! The RUMORS are TRUE! This song does, in actuality, exist! And if TMBG are playing it now, that means it'll probably be on "Thing"! Ah, yes. *DID* *ANYONE* *TAPE* *THIS*? "I Have Learnt The Value of Human Sacrifice" cultists around the world (well, okay, just Matt Keeley and myself) would be incredibly grateful. Hell, anyone who has a recording of this song: I desperately need it. :) E-mail me if you've got a boot of it, please. Thanks! >WE THE PEOPLE OF EUROPE DEMAND A SHOW - STICK OR NO STICK!!! WE THE PEOPLE OF ROCHESTER NEW YORK DEMAND A SHOW WITHOUT GAK! Josh I Have Learnt The Value Of Reading tmbg-list... /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704271612.LAA19094@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 11:06:09 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: ACOUSTIC TMBG] FYI: the tmbg.cheese/duncansheik show is show #1 of the 10. geoff >(My college radio station got copies of 6 of the 10 Kit Kat Acoustic >Breaks, but the TMBG CD wasn't one of them...!) * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704271610.LAA36356@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 11:04:26 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: The Stick! maybe on the album, but linnell sings it live...(or maybe it's the other way 'round?) At 02:31 AM 4/27/97 EDT, you wrote: > >> C'mon, folks, this is from the mouth of >>Coiled, who also says that liking How Can I Sing LIke A Girl? is a >>tell-tale sign of homosexuality. I strongly doubt that a man as >>reserved >>as Mr. Linnell would do anything like this. >> > >Flansburgh sings that song, not Linnell. > >-Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) >!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the >part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 12:26:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: yet another "we the ppl" Message-ID: hey/hay, WE THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN DEMAND MORE THAN ONE SHOW PER TOUR, PREFERABLY WITHOUT HOOTIE! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The thing's hollow- it goes on forever- and- oh my God! It's full of stars!" - 2001: A Space Odyssey ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970427123352.00f6bc08@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 12:33:52 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: The Stick! >>> C'mon, folks, this is from the mouth of >>>Coiled, who also says that liking How Can I Sing LIke A Girl? is a >>>tell-tale sign of homosexuality. I strongly doubt that a man as >>>reserved >>>as Mr. Linnell would do anything like this. >> >>Flansburgh sings that song, not Linnell. You're confusing two topics... one: " C'mon, folks, this is from the mouth of Coiled" "I strongly doubt that a man as reserved as Mr. Linnell would do anything like this." two: "Coiled (...) says that liking How Can I Sing LIke A Girl? is a tell-tale sign of homosexuality." mystery solved. -ec, who is very sorry he missed kenyon, dammit. (stupid schedule conflicts/lack of driving experience/unwillingness of others...) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 11:44:36 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: yet another "we the ppl" Message-ID: WE THE PEOPLE OF TEXAS DEMAND ONE FREAKIN' SHOW! On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Elitza Nicolaou wrote: > hey/hay, > > WE THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN DEMAND MORE THAN ONE SHOW > PER TOUR, PREFERABLY WITHOUT HOOTIE! > > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > "The Spork Princess" > ana-ng@poetic.com > http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > "The thing's hollow- it goes on forever- and- oh my God! It's full of stars!" > - 2001: A Space Odyssey > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970427131422.00f6f958@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 13:14:22 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: yet another "we the ppl" WE THE PERSON OF EVAN CHAKROFF DEMAND WE STOP THIS FRIGGIN' NO-PURPOSE THREAD!!! seriously, this is getting to the point of so many Usenet "Meeee Too!!" posts... -ec > WE THE PEOPLE OF TEXAS DEMAND ONE FREAKIN' SHOW! > >> WE THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN DEMAND MORE THAN ONE SHOW >> PER TOUR, PREFERABLY WITHOUT HOOTIE! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4nMtpiW00iV7E2fEkX@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 14:39:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Birdhouse in Your Soul lyrics? Does anyone have the lyrics for the original version of Birdhouse in Your Soul? (i.e. the one that appears on the Power of Dial-a-Song) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: The Stick! Message-ID: <19970427.155436.4454.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 15:54:00 EDT Flansburgh has ALWAYS sung How Can I Sing Like A Girl, on the album and live. Linnell sings harmony vocals on that song. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3363D0F9.2842@swbell.net> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 15:19:37 -0700 From: Gabriel Garcia Marquez Organization: Jesus for Jews Subject: Re: TMBG: yet another "we the ppl" Gottschalks sez: > WE THE PEOPLE OF TEXAS DEMAND ONE FREAKIN' SHOW! No shit! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704272224.RAA16006@csrlink.net> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 17:25:21 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Indiana University of PA review, slightly tardy ******First, if ANYONE bootlegged it, PLEASE EMAIL ME! PLEASE!!!****** Well, after what can only be described as a long and wonderful weekend, I am finally home to tell all about the IUP show on Friday night. I spent all day working, in fact we were pouring tons and tons of concrets, and I was tired and sore for my first They show, but it was still great. We got there about 2 hours early, and we (My friend Jesse and I) both already had tickets. Unfortunetly, at some point, I lost mine! That sucked. Around this time Bridget came up to me and asked me if I was Dylan, so I met her and Casey. I also had a tape recorder, and started getting ticked when we found out that they made everyone go through a metal detector. Is this common? (While standing in line for the metal detector, there was a dude going around handing out "Viva Don Knotts" cards. Twas very silly indeed. And then afterwards in the Uni Mart there were still people yelling "Viva Don Knotts") But, by mumbling something about it being a walkman, we got through, and I got a ticket right then. We got inside, and there was still space available, which made up happy. It turned out great, cause Linnell was RIGHT in front of us for most of the show. Anyway, The Gravel Pit came on, and that was ok. My friend and I liked the guitar player, he was right in front of us as well and a cool person, as he handed Jesse the setlist. And then, after a long wait, at 10:06 They were on stage. It was soo great, I loved that they opened with NYC. But several songs into it, this lame flunkie security guard that was there said "You're gonna have to give me your tape recorder." We wouldn't have gotten caugh if we only had a crappier spot! But I loved where we were, mostly cause Linnell kept looking at us and smiling, made me so happy. We were no more than ten feet from him most of the time! Ok, Casey already posted the setlist, and that's good cause if I did it would be out of my really erratic memory. What else? I really NEED a boot of this show, I'll be willing to do almost anything for it. Well, not that bad, but I'd really like one. And that's it, I'm all done bothering you all now. Dylan "Craving that boot and cursing that guard" Flipse -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704272131.QAA81572@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 16:25:12 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: The Stick! You know what, you are so right. I was mixing up HCISLAG with Hotel Detective, which was the inspiration for How can I sing...So what i was thinking was that Flans sang hotel detective on back to skull (sped up, of course), and linnell sings it live. hooray for my silly self. geoff > > >C'mon everyone, doesn't everyone agree with me that Flans sings How Can I >Sing Like A Girl? I know it's him. Geoff, you are wrong. Linnell sings >backup on that song. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 27 Apr 97 17:43 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: yet another "we the ppl" > WE THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN DEMAND MORE THAN ONE SHOW > PER TOUR, PREFERABLY WITHOUT HOOTIE! AND NOT ON A WEEKNIGHT, EITHER! ;) Okay, how many of you knew that I couldn't be far behind with that comment? Sorry, I really should be done whining now... Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 18:31:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970427183139_-1534367079@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Bootleg List Here is a list of bootlegs that I have. If interested in trading, E-mail me. Also, I can transfer Videos into audio if you would like. Mr Bungle: Berkeley, CA 1-13-91 Toronto, Canada 1992 (Video) San Francisco, CA 12-18-95 (Video) Fishbone: St. Louis 11-5-86 (Video) Citta, Kawasaki Japan February 1992 (Video) San Francisco, CA@Warfield Theatre 1-16-92 (Video) Foo Fighters: San Francisco, CA@Free Tibet Benefit 6-15-96 (Video) The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Lawrence KS 10-30-94 (Video) Coney Island High, NYC 5-17-96 (Video) Radiohead: London@The Astoria 5-27-94 (Video) Rage Against The Machine: San Francisco, CA@Free Tibet Benefit 6-15-96 (Video) Philadelphia, PA 8-16-96 (Video) Fairfax, VA 8-21-96 (Video) They Might Be Giants: 1985 Demo Tape (Audio) Dr. Spocks Backup Band (Audio) Inadvertant (Audio) New Paltz 5-5-90 (Video) Live In New York 10-14-94 (Audio) Wherehouse Records, Seattle 5-95 (Video) House of Blues 9-19-96 (Audio) Aran's Records Instore 11-22-96 (Video) Let It Be Instore 11-29-96 (Video) Tower Records 1996 (Audio) Stump Box (Audio) Weezer: Various Tape (Audio) American Holiday (Audio) Rock Candy (Audio) "Geezer" New Britan, CT 12-4-94 (Audio) Milan, Italy@The Factory 2-18-95 (Video) Buffalo 7-30-95 (Audio) Germany@Bizarre Fest 8-17-96 (Video) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3363A07A.5207@baka.com> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 18:52:42 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: DORIS CUNNINGHAM!!! OK. Now can someone PLEASE tell me what the *&%^% Doris Cunningham is? Where does it come from? What does it want? Any advice would be appreciated. On a tangent, that's almost as fun to shout as MERV GRIFFIN!! though it's longer. Nevermind. -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton Jonah, who apologises, but this has been bugging him ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:03:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970427190334_-1802291366@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: PLEASE HELP ME!!! Hello all. I've been away from the list for awhile so I don't know what's going on. Are the Giants going on another US tour soon?? If so, does someone have the dates?? Somebody please help me find an answer to my question. Thanks David ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3363DC5D.173D@erols.com> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:08:13 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: Re: TMBG: DORIS CUNNINGHAM!!! Is she the lady from Bewitched? Is that what you were asking? I'm new to the subscription. I just got Then: The Earlier Years yesterday. (strange sentence) Tracy Jonah wrote: > > OK. Now can someone PLEASE tell me what the *&%^% Doris Cunningham is? > Where does it come from? What does it want? Any advice would be > appreciated. On a tangent, that's almost as fun to shout as MERV > GRIFFIN!! though it's longer. Nevermind. > > -- > "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our > wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton > > Jonah, who apologises, but this has been bugging him ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:10:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: Doris Cunningham Message-Id: The Doris Cunningham bit is a clip from a fake interview from the March 1987 Frank O'Toole Show on WFMU tape that's been floating around the 'net for a while... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 16:13:03 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Re: TMBG: The Stick! Message-ID: On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: > > > C'mon, folks, this is from the mouth of > >Coiled, who also says that liking How Can I Sing LIke A Girl? is a > >tell-tale sign of homosexuality. I strongly doubt that a man as > >reserved > >as Mr. Linnell would do anything like this. > > > > Flansburgh sings that song, not Linnell. That's not what I meant. My first sentence establishes my doubt about Coiled's trustworthiness. My second states that I don't think Linnell ever peed off stage. The "anything" in my second sentence refers to peeing on stage, not singing HCISLAG?. --nicole the wonder nerd ------------------------------ From: PLurie1982@aol.com Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:35:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970427193514_-898454834@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Cowtown Could someone foward me the lyrics to this cool song? And if they know anything about the meaning, i want that too. Paul Ng ------------------------------ From: RACH8425@duq3.cc.duq.edu Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:46:33 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: IUP show Message-ID: <862184793.893061.RACH8425@duq3.cc.duq.edu> Hi everyone! Sorry this is late. I just got back to school. The concert was AWESOME! I saw Them in december and They weren't very energetic. I found Them to be very energetic at this concert. Especially Linnell....He was alot more animated at his concert than the last. I'm not going to repost the setlist and my review of the songs is the same as everyone elses. But i'm really pissed because I tried to tape the show and the same security guard that took Dylan's recorder took mine too! IF ANYONE GOT A BOOTLEG OF THE SHOW, PLEASE E-MAIL ME! Dylan, I must have been standing right by you the whole time, because i was directly in front of Linnell. Sorry we didn't get to meet! All in all, it was the best day of my life. Except for that stupid security guard! Kelly ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3363FB3D.5DF5@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 18:19:57 -0700 From: Jordan David Maynard Subject: Re: TMBG: IUP show/Recorders... RACH8425@duq3.cc.duq.edu wrote: > But i'm really pissed because I tried to tape > the show and the same security guard that took Dylan's recorder took mine > too! Umm, this may be beside the point, but did you (and you dylan) get the recorder back at the end of the show? The only reason I really ask is that I plan to start taking my brand new MiniDisc recorder (which i had to get imported from japan) to shows and if any secrurity guard even *thought* about taking it i'd... well, i'd prolly get arrested for assualt (i love my minidisc recorder and it was not cheap!) Can they legally take stuff like that and keep it? My guess is that they can 'coz you're not supposed to have it there in the first place.... hhrmm. Any thoughts? jdm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9704280127.AA13318@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:10:14 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: They for $4 A friend of mine just went to a wallmart (in new hampshire, I think) and picked up the self-titled album in a cheap bin for $4!!! What is the world coming to... Nathan Todd a.k.a. tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.uvm.edu/~ntodd/index.htm~~~> "I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone's right to one minute of my life....No matter who makes the claim, how large their number or how great their need." ~Ayn Rand, "The Fountainhead" ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199704280137.VAA26893@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 27 Apr 1997 20:38:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: IUP show/Recorders... MA>Umm, this may be beside the point, but did you (and you dylan) get the MA>recorder back at the end of the show? The only reason I really ask is MA>that I plan to start taking my brand new MiniDisc recorder (which i had MA>to get imported from japan) to shows and if any secrurity guard even MA>*thought* about taking it i'd... well, i'd prolly get arrested for MA>assualt (i love my minidisc recorder and it was not cheap!) Can they MA>legally take stuff like that and keep it? My guess is that they can 'coz MA>you're not supposed to have it there in the first place.... hhrmm. Any MA>thoughts? MA>jdm My guess would be that they can not (legaly) take your recorder. They can, however make you leave and take the recording that you made. If you wanted to be a hassle, you could even make them take you to court to get it from you (after all possesion is 9 points of the law). I'm no law student, but I think that's how it would work. Any lawyers out there? Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 27 Apr 97 21:38 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: They for $4 > >A friend of mine just went to a wallmart (in new hampshire, I think) and >picked up the self-titled album in a cheap bin for $4!!! Wow, a They album at Wal-Mart that isn't FS? I'd *never* seen any TMBG at a Wal-Mart around here until just recently. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 21:05:55 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: They for $4 Message-ID: Nathan, my friend, the world is indeed sad. I have found and purchased two XTC albums in the cheap bin. My brother even found a Fugazi cd in the cheap bin. Makes you want to hang yourself, doesn't it? -Mark On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Nathan Todd wrote: > A friend of mine just went to a wallmart (in new hampshire, I think) and > picked up the self-titled album in a cheap bin for $4!!! > > What is the world coming to... > > Nathan Todd a.k.a. tenman > *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.uvm.edu/~ntodd/index.htm~~~> > > "I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone's right to one minute > of my life....No matter who makes the claim, how large their number or > how great their need." > ~Ayn Rand, "The Fountainhead" > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9704280211.AA15566@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:54:41 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: Re: TMBG: They for $4 >Nathan, my friend, the world is indeed sad. I have found and purchased >two XTC albums in the cheap bin. My brother even found a Fugazi cd in the >cheap bin. Makes you want to hang yourself, doesn't it? -Mark I think this calls for a moment of silence. *Pause* And now for 10 hours of tmbg straight on through the night! YA-H00!!!! And then another moment of silence and then some sleep and stuff... It certainly is nice for him to grab a copy of the album, because he's kind of a fan-in-the-making...so things are okay, it just seems to be a bit of an insult to tmbg to almost give away the first album...oh well :) Nathan Todd a.k.a. tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.uvm.edu/~ntodd/index.htm~~~> "I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone's right to one minute of my life....No matter who makes the claim, how large their number or how great their need." ~Ayn Rand, "The Fountainhead" ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:18:42 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970427221759_-333382446@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: sort of TMBG: Mtv I am officially pissed at Mtv. Before like, an hour of music videos, the title of that hour was "Popular Videos People Prefer". Just reading that makes me wonder why i was even watching Mtv in the first place >:( also, i went to the new message boards on Mtv online to see if they had They Might Be Giants...guess what....NOPE!!!!! Jordan, who is sick of the "Notorious B.I.G.", "Hanson", and just MTV all together ('cept Daria :) PS--If anyone wants to flame me or whatever on my opinions of disliking the above mentioned bands, dont send the flame to the list. Send it to Jordan1c@idontgiveacrap.com thank you and have a lovely day!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704280335.WAA26838@csrlink.net> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:36:28 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: IUP show/Recorders... >> But i'm really pissed because I tried to tape >> the show and the same security guard that took Dylan's recorder took mine >> too! > >Umm, this may be beside the point, but did you (and you dylan) get the >recorder back at the end of the show? The only reason I really ask is >that I plan to start taking my brand new MiniDisc recorder (which i had >to get imported from japan) to shows and if any secrurity guard even >*thought* about taking it i'd... well, i'd prolly get arrested for >assualt (i love my minidisc recorder and it was not cheap!) Can they >legally take stuff like that and keep it? I know they can kick you out. I was worried about them taking it, cause my cruddy walkman type recorder is my bratty little sister's. I'm really not sure they can take the equiptment, search and seizure, that may be. I nearly got mine back, with the tape and with the five or so songs I got on it, cause the guys there couldn't figure out how to open it. But eventually they did. Also, are people regularly metal detected when going to these shows? The first I've heard of it was when we were about to enter. Some other cool things I forgot the first time- My friend and I were on the other side from the Confetti Canon, but we managed to scoop up a bit after the show and we have coined it "They Might Be Confetti." Also, for some odd reason, I kept calling it the Grafetti Canon. My mind is defective or something. Also, as a cap to the evening- we got back to where we were staying and stayed up till after 2:00 watching a tape of The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy. That's my idea of fun, ok? -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33640D5A.391A@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:37:14 -0700 From: Jordan David Maynard Subject: Re: TMBG: IUP show/Recorders... utopiaone@qconline.com wrote: > My guess would be that they can not (legaly) take your recorder. They > can, however make you leave and take the recording that you made. If > you wanted to be a hassle, you could even make them take you to court to > get it from you (after all possesion is 9 points of the law). I'm no > law student, but I think that's how it would work. Any lawyers out > there? hhrmm, after thinking about it for a while I think the best possible solution for my concerns, and anyone else who tapes with a mic not embedded in the recorder, would be this: since my mic (shure bg4.0 condenser) is attached to my Mini-Disc recorder by a wire, I can just carry a dummy cheapo tape recorder and if some security type person says "hand it over" i can just act all bummed and pretend that the dummy recorder was connected to the mic and give him that. hehe.. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:01:59 PST Subject: TMBG: What LP??? Message-ID: <19970427.200200.9174.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) What LP(or EP) is The Sunsong on??? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:10:24 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: IUP show/Recorders... Message-ID: <19970427.201035.9174.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) On Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:36:28 -0400 Dylan Flipse writes: >>> But i'm really pissed because I tried to tape >>> the show and the same security guard that took Dylan's recorder >took mine >>> too! >> >>Umm, this may be beside the point, but did you (and you dylan) get >the >>recorder back at the end of the show? The only reason I really ask is >>that I plan to start taking my brand new MiniDisc recorder (which i >had >>to get imported from japan) to shows and if any secrurity guard even >>*thought* about taking it i'd... well, i'd prolly get arrested for >>assualt (i love my minidisc recorder and it was not cheap!) Can they >>legally take stuff like that and keep it? Actually, they can because they tell you not to bring it, and it is also illegal to tape copyrighted material. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704280313.WAA27376@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:07:15 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: They for $4 my guess is that the pink album, lincoln, and misc T will be showing up in the cheap bins everywhere, since you can get all three on then for a better price than buying all three seperately. they'll probably stop printing those first three soon (if not already) and just keep making then. wouldn't that make more economic sense? geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704280316.WAA21774@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:09:48 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: What LP??? it's on "why does the sun shine (the sun is a mass of incandescent gas)" EP and also on one of those carmen sandiego pbs soundtracks. geoff At 08:01 PM 4/27/97 PST, you wrote: >What LP(or EP) is The Sunsong on??? > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336441AA.4466@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 23:20:26 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: John-Equality I was recently thinking- There (at least there used to be) are a great number of you girls (maybe guys too) out there who thought Linnell was cute/sexy whatever. Which got me to thinking- does anyone think that Flansy's "all that?" (I know theyre both married now, but disregard that) Just trying to keep the "John-equality-meter" in the middle- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3364197B.565A@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:28:59 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Fuaaahht Don't you just love the way Linnell (or is it Flans? I think it's Flans) sings the word "fat" in Purple Toupee? "...till they stepped on my hair (sounds like head), and they told me I was fuahht!" It's just really cool sounding. Oh yeah, everyone has to go to this site and flame this guy at least once. http://members.gnn.com/kefkaman/newhome.htm -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 23:08:47 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: John-Equality Message-ID: I have a cousin who look almost identical to Flans, so I don't have a real opinion about him. -Mark On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > I was recently thinking- There (at least there used to be) are a great > number of you girls (maybe guys too) out there who thought Linnell was > cute/sexy whatever. > > Which got me to thinking- does anyone think that Flansy's "all that?" > > (I know theyre both married now, but disregard that) > > Just trying to keep the "John-equality-meter" in the middle- > Kevin McGuire > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970425120635.00709140@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 21:09:51 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Bad T:TEY booklets > As a purchaser of a bookletless THEN, I was wondering if there > was anything special inside it, save the lyrics. Any > new photos? Drawings? Pop-Outs? Should I go buy another > copy just to get a booklet? Can I sue restless? How can I > get Mainstream U.S.A. out of my head? Bye Bye. ^_^ Ppl, if you got a defective copy of THEN, you're entitled to a complete copy! Take the sucker back to the music store where you got it! Write to Restless! Judging from the number of people who've written about getting no booklets or bad booklets, the problem is not an isolated incident, and Restless is probably aware of it. The purchase price of T:TEY included a booklet. If Restless doesn't cheerfully give you a full copy of the booklet and apologize, they are not being a responsible company. Good luck! --nicole the wonder nerd *** Nicole Carlson nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 23:11:39 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Fuaaahht Message-ID: Maybe he is saying "head." I've seen before where they indesputedly wrote the wrong word or phrase in the lyrics sheet. Oh well, just a suspicion. Mark On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, vlad_drakul wrote: > Don't you just love the way Linnell (or is it Flans? I think it's Flans) sings the word > "fat" in Purple Toupee? > > "...till they stepped on my hair (sounds like head), and they told me I was fuahht!" > > It's just really cool sounding. > > Oh yeah, everyone has to go to this site and flame this guy at least once. > > http://members.gnn.com/kefkaman/newhome.htm > -- > Vladimir Drakul > ******************************************************************* > *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * > * -Milton * > * * > *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * > * -John Stange * > * * > *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * > * -George Hartnell * > * * > *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * > * -TMBG * > * * > *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * > * -John Flansburgh * > * * > *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * > * -Carl Sagan * > ******************************************************************* > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: John-Equality Date: Mon, 28 Apr 97 22:08:12 PDT ---------- | I was recently thinking- There (at least there used to be) are a great | number of you girls (maybe guys too) out there who thought Linnell was | cute/sexy whatever. | | Which got me to thinking- does anyone think that Flansy's "all that?" | AND THEN SOME!!!!!!!!! :P~~~~~~~~~~ Linnell's got nothing to Flansy.... just watch the man on stage, OH YEAH!!!!! Michelle ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Fuaaahht Message-ID: <19970428.012846.4502.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 01:28:17 EDT On Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:28:59 -0700 vlad_drakul writes: >Don't you just love the way Linnell (or is it Flans? I think it's >Flans) sings the word >"fat" in Purple Toupee? > Actually it is Linnell. And I thinka a really funny part of that song is "Chinese people were fighting in the park. We tried to help them fight, noone appretiated that." That always makes me laugh. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-117 ******************************