Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 12 Monday, 13 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: RE: TMBG: TMBG's S~E~X~X~Y Debuts and Wakes TMBG: Trivia TMBG: That's a Lie! TMBG: Then Re: TMBG: Then TMBG: Re: the pot of money is mine. and Re: accordian? Hello! TMBG: State Songs TMBG: orange juice voices TMBG: Irving Plaza themes Re: TMBG: orange juice voices TMBG: Then release date TMBG: Their (pet) name TMBG: "Racist Friend" again TMBG: I'm back TMBG: sexxy Leo and french films TMBG: Presidents of the usa! TMBG: Tiny Toons J & J Look-alikes Re: TMBG: Presidents of the usa! TMBG: I figured out one of the DASs I think Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 12 Jan 97 03:52:36 UT From: "Kathy " Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: RE: MattM wrote: >Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: >> >> >We're discussing Plato's "Parable of the Cave" in my >Comparative Literatures >> >class. Guess which song I have running through my head. >> >> Heh heh. I impressed my Quiz Bowl coach yet *again* >>when I >> answered the question, "What philosopher wrote about >>people chained up in >> a cave?" I, of course, answered, "Plato." Then I explained >>that I knew >> because of a TMBG song. >sorry, I don't know this, which song is this? It's from "No One Knows My Plan" " When i left a shadow on my window shade/they called the the police and testified/but they're like the people chained up in the cave/in the allegory of the people in the cave by the Greek guy" that's from memory, don't harass me for any mistakes please The parable was also in a book i read called "Sophie's World"....somewhere in between "Through the Looking Glass" and a history of philosophy wait a minute, maybe the author was a tmbg fan! that's it! Ryan the Longwinded, who would sell his sole (speeling intended) for the knowledge of .sig files ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 07:06:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970112070607_1142469100@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG's S~E~X~X~Y Debuts and Wakes I am so excited!!! I have moved on to a new phase in my life that I have been behind on for a long time. Where I live, on Long Island, right outside of NYC, it is as far as I can say IMPOSSIBLE to find TMBG on the radio. It was either that or I kept missing it. I thought that I would never hear them because "NYC is too good for TMBG"--my "friends". Well, I usually wake up at 7:30 in the morning, but I have my alarm clock set for 6:30, which I practically always oversleep. But that strange intuition of mine told me to get up at 6:50, the exact moment on which I heard Z100, one of the big stations in NYC and the one my alarmclock was set to, say "Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, says that S~E~X~X~Y is fun and about getting it on. ---SONG---" As soon as I heard Flans, I jumped out of bed and ran for my cassette recorder across the room, shoved in a tape, and hit record just in the nik of time. After the song, Z100 said that it was the first time that they have played TMBG on that station. I call that luck. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970112092608.006a64ac@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 09:26:10 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Trivia >And maybe this isn't so non-TMBG: I bet that the Johns would do really >well in a trivia competition. (But this is probably just my irrational >"the Johns are awesome in every way" side of me speaking.) When They write songs does anyone know if they do reasearch for certain parts, or get out a thesaurus and look for the perfect word, or is that all just in their heads? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 10:11:31 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701121511.KAA03293@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: That's a Lie! >But couldn't he just be saying that? This is Chris Piuma's First Law of Artist Truthfulness: Everything your favorite artist says is absolute, pure, complete truth, unless you have an agenda which the statement would disagree with, in which case they are obviously *LYING* (because, they do that, y'know.) Josh After many glasses of work /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: TMBGGuy@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 11:17:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970112111737_614662450@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Then Does anyone know when "Then: the early years" is coming out? I heard it was suppose to come in January, but has been delayed. The other day I saw the coolest thing. I was at Super K-mart and in the music section there was this big screen TV and below it were all these buttons w/ a different band listed on each button. One of the buttons said TMBG-SEXXY and when I pressed it, the screen turned on, the song SEXXY played and it show the video, but the video was of their past videos (Istanbul, Birdhouse, Guitar, Puppethead, SnailShell, Staute, Crane) combined and edited so that they fit the SEXXY ryhum. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 12:59:13 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701121759.MAA20294@CLEMSON.EDU> From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Then At 11:17 AM 1/12/97 -0500, you wrote: >Does anyone know when "Then: the early years" is coming out? >I heard it was suppose to come in January, but has been delayed. Feb. 25, according to www.restless.com/giants.html I've heard the price $25 mentioned on Usenet...has this been verified? TTYL, -Adam /========================================\ Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 13:18:34 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970112131834_2055973486@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: the pot of money is mine. and Re: accordian? Hello! >Blackjack! > >I get the whole pot! > >what is it now? > >$12.38? > >brenden - nednerB WHAT? What on earth is this???? >Has any one noticed the lack of accordian on Factory >Showroom? Oy. Hey, brenden - nednerB; Can you please mesh your messages together next time? sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: TMBGGuy@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 15:18:03 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970112151802_1011343713@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: State Songs Does anyone know if you can get John Linnel's State songs or House of Mayor songs any other way besides Hello? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jan 97 06:51:31 UT From: "William Blacksher" Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: orange juice voices Even with this Linnell-Tropicana, Flans-Hi-C/Tang thing, I still can't tell the difference. I can hear 2 different voices, but which one is which? Can someone give me an example or something? Also, I think my parents are ready to snap all of my TMBG cd's in half. Whenever they're around my room, they tell me to "Turn that off. It's not pleasing. It has no beat." Obviously, they have no taste in music. -Lava "Oh, fork." -Jenniner ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 16:35:33 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza themes Message-ID: OK, I am on the digest so if somebody already said this...don't be angry :) Information on the TMBG shows at Irving Plaza is now available at www.irvingplaza.com...the themes are as follows: February 7 (The Factory Show= "S-E-X-X-Y" and more from their latest release Factory Showroom and all the old favorites) February 14 (Valentine's Day New Song Massacre- TMBG debut brand new songs featuring the Velcro Horns) February 21 (Then: The Earlier Years- A brief stroll down memory lane celebrating the release of their box set Then: The Earlier Years) *** There is no Feb. 28th show listed...This doesn't make things easier for me...I think my dad will drive me to one show. I was thinking Feb. 14th before, but now I think I want to go to Feb. 21st....siiiiiiiigh...I dunno.. What do you people think? Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 16:47:46 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: orange juice voices Message-ID: On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, William Blacksher wrote: > Also, I think my parents are ready to > snap all of my TMBG cd's in half. Whenever they're around my room, they tell > me to "Turn that off. It's not pleasing. It has no beat." Obviously, they have > no taste in music. > -Lava > They have taste... Bad taste! 8-] There's a record store near where I live that has upcoming releases on a sign in the window and they have TMBG on there for January! It's been up a while though so they probably just didn't chnge it Take it easy, Wubba * ------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| * ------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 17:13:35 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: Then release date Message-ID: I was just at Dr Disc today, and their chart said the 2-CD set would be out on January 21! Cool! Or maybe that's just wrong. -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970112232244.0068128c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 15:22:44 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Their (pet) name >Okay, this might have been disscussed before, but hey, I've been on the >list a while and it hasn't come up... On the FAQ and here on the list >everyone assumes that the name They Might Be Giants was just from the name >of the movie, but couldn't the name, rather than taken from the movie, be >taken from the same place the movie took it (like JKP references on NBC). I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here. Nowhere in Don Quixote is the phrase "They might be giants" used (at least, not in the translation I have). Don Quixote himself is convinced that the windmills are giants (and therefore has no use for a "might"), Sancho knows that the windmills aren't giants (and also doesn't need to use "might".) Whereas the movie has a scene where the two main characters discuss Don Quixote's actions, and the phrase comes out verbatim. (It's in the FAQ; I don't remember it very well.) I think it's much more likely that they took the movie's name than that they were paraphrasing Don Quixote. >Anyway, i have no idea what I'm trying to say. But They Might be Giants >really is a fitting name, because they're not really super-popular, but >they might be. One of my dad's favorite jokes whenever I mention TMBG is "Don't they know yet?" (My dad thinks he's a very funny guy.) >Hey, that isn't dumb at all! I teach similar memory tricks to my students >all the time. I tell them the closer it is related to something that matters >to you, the more likely you will be to remember it. Viva le mnemonic >devices! Yes! Anyone else memorize all 50 states and their capitals (thanks to Animaniacs) and the names of all the parts of the brain (thanks to Pinky and the Brain)? >>Radio? Surely you jest. Fill your CD player with Them, >>instead. Or negativland. Anything that's not playing on MTV, >>at least. >Ah, but you don't have WBER. ;) The station that LOVES TMBG. Where is this wondrous station located? I'd like to move there... Actually, I seriously considered going to college on the East Coast because of the close proximity to TMBG concerts. >>well, if their voices were orange juice, Linnell would be >>Tropicana with pulpy bits and Flans would be Hi-C. >ROTFL! That is so... cool! :D I might not agree 100%,but I still like the >analogy . Wait, I got it. Linnell is Tang. Yes. I luv that stuff. I dunno... I'd have to go with the Tropicana, myself. Flans has (to my ear) a clearer voice; Linnell's is more interesting. > Brooklyn's self-proclaimed Twin Quasars of Rock Do they really call themselves the Twin Quasars of Rock? I knew about the "Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love" epithet, but the Twin Quasars of Rock was a new one to me. It's cool! --nicole the wonder nerd is on WLSD. *** "We're the vice-principles of rock!" --John Flansburgh, about his band They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701122320.SAA16480@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 97 18:22:59 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: "Racist Friend" again ...while YRF is a topic of conversation... Does anyone know where I can get the 12" remix single? I have a cassette copy of the remix, and it ranks as one of my favorite remixes ever... Really effective. I think it was promo-only, but I am willing to shell out the buxXx for a good copy. Then soon Then soon Then, -tom Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu * ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 19:27:53 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: I'm back Message-Id: Hey all-- I have now returned from my wonderful hometown and am back at school. As a result, I have subscribed again to this marvelous list, and am soon to be back in the swing of things (so to speak) in the world of They Might Be Giants. Just letting y'all know. See ya. By the way, Tara (Lynne Weber), I still have not gotten the tape I owe you in th mail yet. Hopefully I will send it off this week. Sorry for the delay... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Oh baby, I'm not a mindreader..." ---Sebadoh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32D95A68.4F2C@ou.edu> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 21:40:56 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: sexxy Leo and french films I've seen a few bras go onstage, mostly at Linnell > > oddly enough. Every time I see that it offends me because > > I've never had a woman throw her bra at me and I'm at least > > as attractive as Linnell. :-) I actually have a shrine to Leo and throw my bra at it daily. My roomate is considering joining in.. s-e-x-x-y! > Everyone check out Children of the Lost City (I think I got that right), > very wild French flick. > Matt > I have seen it! It's City of Lost Children. very, very very strange. Heather who unsucessfully unsubscribed, so shes reading all 843 messages as we speak. ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 22:03:01 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970112220301_1924763377@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Presidents of the usa! Hey, you know that band Presidents Of The United States Of America? well on a repeat of 120 minutes, they were doing different songs, and before lump, they were thanking people, and they said "AND THANK YOU THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!" cool, eh? Jordan "so young, so strong, so ready for the war, each willing to go and die upon a foreign shore" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 23:48:23 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Message-ID: <32d431a4.76156799@news.rpn.fullfeed.com> Organization: FullFeed Communications, ATW Subject: TMBG: Tiny Toons J & J Look-alikes Sorry if this is old hat, but has anyone else noticed that in the Tiny Toons Istanbul video, when Plucky & Hampton are walking along (Hampton on accordian, Plucky doing the "Walk Like An Egyptian" thing) they were drawn like J&J? Plucky has the mop-like hair of Linnell, and Hampton has the thick glasses with black rims. "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 22:25:45 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: Presidents of the usa! Message-ID: > Hey, you know that band Presidents Of The United States Of America? well on a > repeat of 120 minutes, they were doing different songs, and before lump, they > were thanking people, and they said > "AND THANK YOU THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!" This reminds me: On Frente's newest album, they thank "tmbg". I thought that was really cool. -Dan ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 01:16:07 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970113011606_1343488998@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I figured out one of the DASs I think Hello 41- I may either be way off on this one, or it has allready been mentioned and I will be yelled at, or I could have just thought of it. I was dicing some green peppers and listening to Sinatra (they go hand in hand, I'm not sure why) when the song "Summer Wind" came on. Now that I think about it, I'll bet that "Summer Breeze" the DAS is a take off on this kinda. I can't belive that I hadn't thought of it before, but it just came to me. Flans is Sinatra guy, and they kind of parallel. Anyone care to tell me why not? Go for it! Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf Rome is like Florida. -Rinaldi Adam's do it yourself .sig file (Updated sometimes) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-12 *****************************