Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-121 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 121 Friday, 2 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: new TMBG: CHAT SEMITMBG: KITH Re: SEMITMBG: KITH Re: TMBG: Questions TMBG: drinks Re: TMBG: chart TMBG: The Stick! Re: TMBG: drinks Re: TMBG: The STICK Re: TMBG: drinks TMBG: A nod from El Centro TMBG: The Stick! Re: TMBG: Questions NON-TMBG: List Rules / Drinks TMBG: Schtuff!!! TMBG: Song list format on Web Site TMBG: Hello the Band Lyrics Re: TMBG: Questions TMBG: misc. q's TMBG: birdhouse sheetmusic Re: TMBG: Questions Re: TMBG: KU SHOW -- SPEAK NOW!!! TMBG: Chicago Shows Re: TMBG: new Re: TMBG: Questions TMBG: Correction TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-120 Re: TMBG: The STICK TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-120 NON TMBG: BNL CONCERT TMBG: factory showroom poster TMBG: Beverage Re: TMBG: A nod from El Centro TMBG: Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: Hello the Band Lyrics TMBG: I can put my finger on it, the allure of... Re: TMBG: Re: Non-Tmbg:Posting Rules of Thumb Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 TMBG: Internet Movie Database Search TMBG: ahhh Re: TMBG: Questions Re: TMBG: Questions Re: TMBG: Questions and answers (Hey...good album title...) TMBG: Multiple Postings TMBG: posting Re: TMBG: drinks TMBG: hello there Re: TMBG: drinks Re: TMBG: You all Re: TMBG: The STICK TMBG: Proximity to the Power TMBG: let's make him feel cool TMBG: Blah Re: TMBG: drinks TMBG: New COmmercial, Skewed TMBG reference.. Re: TMBG: Blah TMBG: Hello all Re: TMBG: I can put my finger on it, the allure of... Re: TMBG: the email dilemma solved TMBG: Simpsons Re: TMBG: Blah Re: TMBG: I can put my finger on it, the allure of... TMBG: Tour Dates TMBG: TMBG- Kiddies & Partical Man TMBG: Stick story, Chicago Radio Re: TMBG: Blah TMBG: Spank me mama, I'm begging for more Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 03:15:01 -0400 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199705010715.DAA10955@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: "Jeremy L. Skrenes" Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 02:27:30 CST Subject: TMBG: new Message-ID: <4798887449B@athena.valpo.edu> hi, i'm new to the list and just seeing how this posting thing works out. actually i'm on the digest to keep my mailbox as neat as possible. i saw them for the first time at calvin college in grand rapids last monday, and they gave a stellar performance, opening with their "critics intro," firing the they might be giants cannon, and doing a single conga line through the entire auditorium ("safety first, conga second, speed somewhere in third" said flansburg). oh, and the singer of their opening band played a huge huge church organ located in the auditorium to assist tmbg in the ending of "spy" as well as a few other tunes. i have one question, and i'll end just to keep this short: i just got a video, "they might be giants, the videos 1986-89" containing ana ng, hotel detective, don't let it start, put your hand inside the puppet head, and they'll need a crane, all in reverse chronological order. i think there is one more video on the tape, but i can't remember now. i was just wondering how rare this tape is, as the store clerk said it was somewhat of a coincidence that i found it. ta. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33686B93.362D@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 06:08:19 -0400 From: Phillip Kent Subject: TMBG: CHAT ok. i made the room so if you are going to it please use the steps from my last note. this room will last all day, so please try to go and make it a success. i will re-make the room tomorrow. have a nice chat. PS sorry it took so long, i had to work and i have a big project i'm suppose to be doing. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 07:48:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: SEMITMBG: KITH Message-ID: Well, I love the soundtrack for Brain Candy too, but differ on a point... I don't exactly think Cibo Matto can be classified as a "girl band that rants." True, they are a girl band, but some of the songs on Viva! La Woman (The Food Album :)) are slow and beautiful. Sugar Water is one of my favorite songs off that CD, and the video for it is the best video I've ever seen, to this point. Birthday Cake -is- quite awesome as well. And Know Your Chicken is... well, listen to it. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 10:07:33 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: Re: SEMITMBG: KITH Message-Id: >GO>Well, in response to the sensurround/power rangers thing, I'd like to >encour >GO>people looking to expand their horizons not to hesitate in buying the Brain >GO>Candy Soundtrack, especially if you've seen the movie. I bought the >soundtra >GO>the day it came out, and I was quite glad I did so. Even Though I listened >t >GO>SS first, I then listened to the rest of the soundtrack, and found it to be >GO>quite good. It was even better later when I had seen the movie, so I could >GO>recognize those songs. I'd say that everything is good on it, but for me >the >GO>highlight is CIBO MATTO, an incredible female band that sorta "rants" > >I agee with you on every point except for the highlight of the sdtk. MY >favorite perfomance is the track from the towel-clad Pual Belini . >"Long Dark Twenties" is a great song. THe whole soundtrack is great too >though. It introduced me to Guided by Voices, Stereolab, Cibo Matto, >and who can forget, Death Lurks :) I got it before Factory Showroom >came out, so Spiralling Shape ws new to me and was the main reason for >me to purcase the CD, but I found that the rest of the CD was (almost) >just as good as SS. > >Chris >UtopiaOne@qconline.com Now throwing this thread into not being related to TMBG at all, I want to highly recomend the KITH show to litteraly ANYONE on this list. I saw the movie befor ethe show, as I don't get the show up here, but I could nevcer really appreciate the movie until I saw the show (wait) if you haven't seen the movie yet... RENT IT! If you haven't seen the show, contact someone who can get you a tape or watch it on comedy central. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 10:20:59 -0500 From: elleng@massart.edu (ellen g.) Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions >>> > "Black coffee's not enough for me. I need a better friend..." >>> -Flansburgh (I know :) >> >>"More coffee for me, boss, because I'm not as messed up as I want to >>be." >> -Hearing Aid >> >"So sneak out this glass of bourbon and we'll go..." > -Road Movie To Berlin "Please Pass the Milk, Please" -Fingertips "What is the function of the artist?" "The function of the artist, is to provide what life does not." -Tom Robbins, Another Roadside Attraction ************************************** Visit Eclectic Ellen G's Website, presently being revamped! http://www.tiac.net/users/gersh/ellen.htm ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705011647.AA07497@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: drinks Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 12:47:29 -0400 (EDT) > >>> > "Black coffee's not enough for me. I need a better friend..." > >>> -Flansburgh (I know :) > >> > >>"More coffee for me, boss, because I'm not as messed up as I want to > >>be." > >> -Hearing Aid > >> > >"So sneak out this glass of bourbon and we'll go..." > > -Road Movie To Berlin > > "Please Pass the Milk, Please" > -Fingertips "We'll race to the bottom of the glass..." -Narrow your Eyes (Ok, an empty glass once holding a liquid!) -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705011654.JAA13103@f16.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: chart Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 09:54:00 PDT >where did this come from to begin with? Did I just delete the message? Why >am I #44? Why? Why? WHY!? Yeah, what is this chart stuff? I'm so intrigued. Anastasia is #1 always. * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970501095858.006a6ff8@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 10:00:33 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: The Stick! >I would like to get SEXXY, but I always >have this deep inner feeling that it is pointless since I already have >Factory Showroom. Aiiee! Run to the music store and get the SEXXY 5-sing songle RIGHT NOW, my beloved kumquat. You are denying yourself two *terrific* TMBG songs--Sensurround and We've Got A World That Swings--that are not on FS. Run! Run! Go! Now! >Anyone know where I can get a shirt? Subscribe to the Info Club! You'll get a kewl newsletter and a catalog for TMBG stuff, including bumper stickers, postcards, coffee mugs, and a wide selection of shirts. >We should get every TMBG fan in the US and get >together in Kansas or something (Washington's good for me :) and get the >biggest conga >line ever going around. FLESH FEST '97!!! *tee hee* anyone else remember Flesh Fest '96? >And what the hell is this stick, anyway? I'm feeling REALLY stupid right >about now. The Stick is just that--a big stick. Flans occasionally uses it as percussion on Lie Still, Little Bottle. I've never seen it :(, but my sources indicate that it's a large stick, almost walking-stick sized, and it has a microphone on the end. Apparently a performance of LS,LB with The Stick is quite impressive, and They come up with never-ending intros for it. ("This is the stick... cut fresh from the woods..." "Sound check for the stick! *whap*") --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Simultaneous events don't happen--we are isolated temporally."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 13:12:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: drinks Message-ID: Full bottle in front of me, time to roll up my sleeves and get to work, and after many glasses of work, I get paid - in the brain. YOWE Still the taste of wine... (WGAWTS) Urine Man - Weep Day * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Thu, 1 May 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > >>> > "Black coffee's not enough for me. I need a better friend..." > > >>> -Flansburgh (I know :) > > >> > > >>"More coffee for me, boss, because I'm not as messed up as I want to > > >>be." > > >> -Hearing Aid > > >> > > >"So sneak out this glass of bourbon and we'll go..." > > > -Road Movie To Berlin > > > > "Please Pass the Milk, Please" > > -Fingertips > "We'll race to the bottom of the glass..." > -Narrow your Eyes > (Ok, an empty glass once holding a liquid!) > > -- > "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way > Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) > ------------------------------------------------------------------- > Matt James > polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu > Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America > "Cracking toast, Gromit!" > New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: The STICK Date: Fri, 02 May 97 10:22:19 PDT | And what the hell is this stick, anyway? I'm feeling REALLY stupid right | about now. | Thanks to all who have informed me about the stick. Although I finally felt appeased I had seen all the TMBG songs I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to see them do live when they did Number 3 in Seattle last time through, and NOW I've got to wait for them to come around again, in hopes that they will sing Lie Still, Little Bottle, so I can see the stick for myself. Whatever... Michelle ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 14:10:45 -0500 From: elleng@massart.edu (ellen g.) Subject: Re: TMBG: drinks >> > >>> > "Black coffee's not enough for me. I need a better friend..." >> > >>> -Flansburgh (I know :) >> > >> >> > >>"More coffee for me, boss, because I'm not as messed up as I want to >> > >>be." >> > >> -Hearing Aid >> > >> >> > >"So sneak out this glass of bourbon and we'll go..." >> > > -Road Movie To Berlin >> > >> > "Please Pass the Milk, Please" >> > -Fingertips >> "We'll race to the bottom of the glass..." >> -Narrow your Eyes >> (Ok, an empty glass once holding a liquid!) > >Full bottle in front of me, time to roll up my sleeves and get to work, >and after many glasses of work, I get paid - in the brain. YOWE > >Still the taste of wine... (WGAWTS) > >Urine Man - Weep Day <(what???)> "I don't know whether I'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar..." -Dinner Bell I'm sorry, but I could probably go forever on this thread. :) "What is the function of the artist?" "The function of the artist, is to provide what life does not." -Tom Robbins, Another Roadside Attraction ************************************** Visit Eclectic Ellen G's Website, presently being revamped! http://www.tiac.net/users/gersh/ellen.htm ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 13:18:33 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: A nod from El Centro Message-ID: This morning as I was watching SportsCenter, John Buccigross introducted the San Fran. Giants as, "They might be giants? They are giants!" Hee hee, it was so cool. 'Course, doesn't have to be about our favourite band, but let me live in my little fantasy, ok? His name is John, too. Coincidence? Yes, actually. Just thought I'd drop a line, trying to worm my way into that little top ten list o' posters...Hee hee... ________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <________ *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705011834.AA07626@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: The Stick! Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 14:34:37 -0400 (EDT) > >We should get every TMBG fan in the US and get > >together in Kansas or something (Washington's good for me :) and get the > >biggest conga > >line ever going around. The Million Fan March on Washington, DC! > >And what the hell is this stick, anyway? I'm feeling REALLY stupid right > >about now. > > The Stick is just that--a big stick. Flans occasionally uses it as > percussion on Lie Still, Little Bottle. I've never seen it :(, but my > sources indicate that it's a large stick, almost walking-stick sized, and > it has a microphone on the end. Apparently a performance of LS,LB with The > Stick is quite impressive, and They come up with never-ending intros for > it. ("This is the stick... cut fresh from the woods..." "Sound check for > the stick! *whap*") Actually, this stick is much bigger than walking-stick sized. It is about 2 feet taller than Flansburgh! A large cord is wrapped around it and at the end of the cord is the micophone and it is *very* loud when Flans slams it. I heard somewhere, though, that this is the second Stick, the first was lost. /Matt -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970501145051.00f7fdd0@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 14:50:51 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions >>> > "Black coffee's not enough for me. I need a better friend..." >>> -Flansburgh (I know :) >>"More coffee for me, boss, because I'm not as messed up as I want to >>be." >> -Hearing Aid >"So sneak out this glass of bourbon and we'll go..." > -Road Movie To Berlin my, my! Aren't we good at typing lyrics? Please stop it. -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970501150519.00e25918@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 15:05:19 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: NON-TMBG: List Rules / Drinks I was thinking, why should I have to wade through a dozen messages about lyrics about drinks? Well, I found two reasons: One: EVERYONE on the List IMMENSELY ENJOYS reading one-liners with 10-line quoted messages. Two: there's no moderation. I am not going to post my own "Rules for The List", but I encourage Leo to do so. If there was a set of ground rules for the list (even if only a repeat of the standard "nettiquet") then maybe there wouldn't be this many useless posts. A couple lists I'm on will KICK and BAN you if you quote excessively, post a chain letter (or any other "This is not a chain letter, please help this sick child by forwarding this message, with all the headders included to eveyone who gave you their email address, not knowing that you would send them this" letter) I am not suggesting moderation, that would be too much work for the Moderator. Besides, I LOVE the regular-style (individual messages) list. Moderation would mean digest-only (essentially), but I could live with that. So that's my opinion. Feel free to reply, just don't quote the whole thing. -ec | center.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705011856.LAA26948@f4.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Schtuff!!! Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 11:56:41 PDT Good day listies!! Since I'm not included on the chart, i'm gonna post. I haven't actually written anything in a while (well, the KU stuff...but that's limited and not real entertaining.) This "drinks" thing better not become a thread. I've been on the list since January and I have found that threads get old. (I was on the newsgroup in 1995 too.) My homepage is way improved!Go to http://www.geocities.com/SoHo.Lofts/1993 to see for yourself. Stomp box (the zine formerly known as MouseWorld) May have to change its name if They Might Be Giants Music says nay to the usage of their name. I don't care to meet They on the wrong end of a lawsuit. So all subscribers, I apologize for the delay. KUers- is nobody besides me, Heather, her bf, Jillian, and Jamal going to the KU show on Sat? Guys, let me know. I'm trying to plan a #$%^*&# party and I need some *^&#! input. So get the *&^@ on it, willya? TMBG dream!!!- Yes, another one after months of normalcy. I dreamed that I was doing an in-depth interview of Flans and he moved into our house for a month. He sat around, watched HBO, and ate all our junk food. He also fixed my car. He wore plaid shirts and jeans every day. My brother kept pestering him for a jam session (my bro HATES TMBG). Flans kept getting pissed at him and told him to get lost, we were doing an interview. My mom was even better- she kept asking him why he wasn't home with his wife. Finally, Linnell, robyn (blond, blue eyed, tall and curvaceous) and Karen (short, curly black hair; blue eyes, my height and thin-ethereally pretty) came to collect him. Linnell lectured him on his lack of manners. It was a strange dream. That's all for now. See y'all later. Anastasia This message brought to you by Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's my real name so stop asking already!!!!) ###################################################### "Don't call me at work again, oh no, the boss still hates me; I'm just tired, and I don't love you anymore; and there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go-I mean nice people-baby wait; I didn't mean to say 'nightmare'..."-TMBG, 'They'll Need A Crane' TMBG Info Club ID# 50982 TMBG Show at KU 5/3/97 (my first show...yippee!) **************************************************** Get Stomped!!! at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199705011932.PAA13113@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Song list format on Web Site Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 15:32:23 -0400 (EDT) A lot of people have e-mailed me saying the new song list format makes the page too large and that it takes too long to load. We realize this and we are working to fix that problem. I am currently working on a really cool system to overcome the problems of our distributed index before as well as allow us to list more albums and songs. I don't know how quickly I'll be able to make the new format work, but soon I think we'll have a system that will make everyone happy. Thanks for waiting. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 15:32:33 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970501153230_776551001@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Hello the Band Lyrics Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know where I can find lyrics to the great (if small) collection of Hello the Band songs ("Town to Town," "Since You Joined the Corporation," etc.)? And does anyone know for sure who sings "Hello, Hello"? I know some folks think it's Flans, but I'm willing to bet it's Josh Fried. Thanks! Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705011937.OAA25386@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 14:30:32 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions you know what? this is a tmbg forum. if people wanna do this, let them. if you don't like it, ignore it. at least it has tmbg content. >my, my! Aren't we good at typing lyrics? Please stop it. -ec > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: "Jeremy L. Skrenes" Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 14:55:59 CST Subject: TMBG: misc. q's Message-ID: <486025E4519@athena.valpo.edu> i should have posted these in my last post, but it was 2am and my brain didn't want to work. it still doesn't now, but i'm making it. question one, about the list, how big is it/how many members are on it? question 2--mono puff. anybody out there like them? i think it's interesting to observe what flansburg creates without linnell's influences. also there's a ska song on "unsupervised" which is cool, and there is a tune produced by joshua fried, of the world's address remix fame. but i'm curious if anybody has the 4 song cd of non album tracks and if it's worth the $10 at circuit city where i found it. i hope i'm not hogging the stage or anything since i haven't gotten a feel yet as to how many posts is an average number. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 01 May 97 15:56:58 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: birdhouse sheetmusic Message-Id: <970501.155854.EDT.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> hi all! sorry, sorry, sorry, that it has taken me so long to get hte birdhouse sheetmusic copies out!!! i do have all your requests and the copies are all made except one page which got screwed up at the copiers--i just have to go make that page over again and they'll all be sent out. i am done with exams now, so it should be very easy for me to do it tomorrow. again, i'm really sorry it took so long and i appreciate your patience! :) peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 16:22:23 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705012022.QAA17728@hubcap.clemson.edu> From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions At 02:30 PM 5/1/97 -0500, you wrote: >you know what? this is a tmbg forum. if people wanna do this, let them. if >you don't like it, ignore it. at least it has tmbg content. Personally, I agree with Evan...if I wanted to look at lyrics, I'd go to tmbg.org or look at my CD liner notes... TTYL, -Adam /========================================\ Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 15:34:38 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: TMBG: KU SHOW -- SPEAK NOW!!! Message-Id: > KUers- is nobody besides me, Heather, her bf, Jillian, and Jamal going to the KU > show on Sat? Guys, let me know. I'm trying to plan a #$%^*&# party and I need > some *^&#! input. So get the *&^@ on it, willya? okay kids...when this show was announced i got like 16,000 messages asking for directions, hotels, etc. and now the number is down to FIVE? sheesh. allz i'm sayin' is that if you need directions, ASK NOW, not tomorrow at 6pm. cause chances are you won't catch me and you'll be lost. and you don't want to be that, huh? so let me or anastasia know NOW. i dare you. jillian :) ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* my name is jillian i study the earth i need a job woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 16:46:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970501164655_-400120027@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Chicago Shows Hello all, Todd here. Well it was a hectic couple days, saw the Giants at both shows an the instore, I was going to post the set lists but Dan already did so I'll just comment on the shows. Well it was nice having the horns it seemed to bring the John's interest up, in fact they seemed to really be having fun, they played for a long ass time both nights, thank god I brought enough tapes ;) I was at the instore and was allowed to videotape, I know my batteries ran out during Particle the last song but got the new song Insect Hospital and The Joker so that should be neat, but I haven't even had time yet to check it out. The crowd was much better the second night, no real moshing. The horn playeds (Dan Levine & John O'Connor) really seemed to have a blast playing, they were even at the instore! and they sang on I am not your Broom at the instore and at the show the first night. Anyhow, the best part was seeing all the old songs, plus hearing Where Your Eyes Don't Go, Rhythm Section Want Ad, & She's an Angel all in 1 night!! They did mix the setlist up nicely too and those like Dan & myself who went to all 3 shows really got a **** load of songs!! T. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 15:58:01 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: new Message-ID: My brother's friend has that tape. I don't know where he got it, but it's the only copy of it that I've ever seen. Mark On Thu, 1 May 1997, Jeremy L. Skrenes wrote: > hi, i'm new to the list and just seeing how this posting thing works > out. actually i'm on the digest to keep my mailbox as neat as > possible. i saw them for the first time at calvin college in grand > rapids last monday, and they gave a stellar performance, opening with > their "critics intro," firing the they might be giants cannon, and > doing a single conga line through the entire auditorium ("safety > first, conga second, speed somewhere in third" said flansburg). oh, > and the singer of their opening band played a huge huge church organ > located in the auditorium to assist tmbg in the ending of "spy" as > well as a few other tunes. i have one question, and i'll end just to > keep this short: i just got a video, "they might be giants, the > videos 1986-89" containing ana ng, hotel detective, don't let it > start, put your hand inside the puppet head, and they'll need a > crane, all in reverse chronological order. i think there is one more > video on the tape, but i can't remember now. i was just wondering > how rare this tape is, as the store clerk said it was somewhat of a > coincidence that i found it. ta. > > jeremy > [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] > "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A > woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG > [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] > Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! > Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: > Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni > Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 16:00:16 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions Message-ID: On Thu, 1 May 1997, ellen g. wrote: > > >>> > "Black coffee's not enough for me. I need a better friend..." > >>> -Flansburgh (I know :) > >> > >>"More coffee for me, boss, because I'm not as messed up as I want to > >>be." > >> -Hearing Aid > >> > >"So sneak out this glass of bourbon and we'll go..." > > -Road Movie To Berlin > > "Please Pass the Milk, Please" > -Fingertips > I think we should stop this little thread. Besies, I thought it was about coffee. -Mark > "What is the function of the artist?" > "The function of the artist, is to provide what life does not." > -Tom Robbins, Another Roadside Attraction > ************************************** > Visit Eclectic Ellen G's Website, presently being revamped! > http://www.tiac.net/users/gersh/ellen.htm > > > ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:18:16 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970501171811_-31017642@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Correction Before I get mail bombed- I want to correct myself, that's Jim O'Connor not John just a slip of the John - sorry :) T. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 16:24:43 -0500 (CDT) From: May Anna Schaeffer Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-120 Message-ID: What is this stick that everyone keeps referring to? I've only been to one concert of theirs and I feel completely lost. Please help... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 14:39:01 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: The STICK Message-ID: On Fri, 2 May 1997, Michelle wrote: (I don't know what part of Seattle *you're* in, but here it's still Thursday :) > | And what the hell is this stick, anyway? I'm feeling REALLY stupid right > | about now. > | > Thanks to all who have informed me about the stick. Although I finally > felt appeased I had seen all the TMBG songs I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted > to see them do live when they did Number 3 in Seattle last time through, > and NOW I've got to wait for them to come around again, in hopes that they > will sing Lie Still, Little Bottle, so I can see the stick for myself. Cool! Next time They're here, let's start up a chant or something and see if they'll bring out the stick. Our theme for the concert could be "sticks" instead of "fish." It may or may not work out better that way. -Lani "We want the Stick! We want the Stick!" O:) lanio@u.washington.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 16:40:45 -0500 (CDT) From: May Anna Schaeffer Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-120 Message-ID: I am so very bitter that I did not 1-get to go to the concert in chicago last night, 2-get to go to Tower to see them last night, and 3- XRT was having some sort of special on them yesterday afternoon and I was not home to hear it. If anyone has a tape of these things could you please let me know, I could make it worth your while. ON ANOTHER TOPIC: Has this ever happened to anyone? You're sitting in the library (or wherever) listening to your walkman, and someone you kind of know comes up to you and asks what you are listening to. This is how the conversation goes: Friend: What ya listening to? You: They Might Be Giants Friend: They might be who? You: They Might Be Giants Friend: Well, which is it, are they Giants or aren't they? AAAAGGGGGGHHHHH, this annoys me so much!!!!! I can't stand when people try to make jokes like this. Has this happened to anyone else? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 18:18:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Elizabeth McGinley Subject: NON TMBG: BNL CONCERT Message-ID: someone posted a request for a ride to a BNL show *IF YOU ARE THIS PERSON* e-mail me ger@frontier.wilpaterson.edu I Might BE able to help liz ------------------------------ From: Tmbgneat@aol.com Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 18:15:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970501181419_1953603995@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: factory showroom poster I have an extra factory showroom poster....if any one who hasnt gotten one yet and would like to trade for a good bootleg or other tmbg related stuffffff...then email me... and have a burgerific day!.. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970501224133.0069a934@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 15:41:33 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Beverage >>> > "Black coffee's not enough for me. I need a better friend..." >>> -Flansburgh (I know :) >> >>"More coffee for me, boss, because I'm not as messed up as I want to >>be." >> -Hearing Aid >> >"So sneak out this glass of bourbon and we'll go..." > -Road Movie To Berlin "I put a rock in the coffee in your coffee mug." -I've Got A Match ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 18:54:10 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: Re: TMBG: A nod from El Centro Message-Id: >This morning as I was watching SportsCenter, John Buccigross introducted the >San Fran. Giants as, "They might be giants? They are giants!" Hee hee, it >was so cool. 'Course, doesn't have to be about our favourite band, but let me >live in my little fantasy, ok? His name is John, too. Coincidence? Yes, >actually. wheeeeeeeehelll, He was most likely reffering to our beloved boys. On my recent tour of ESPN studios, I noticed that someone's desk had the picture of them that was in the globe taped over it. I didn't recognize the name, but I remeber it as being John. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 15:49:35 PST Subject: TMBG: Apollo 18 Message-ID: <19970501.160236.7111.0.blenderhed@juno.com> From: blenderhed@juno.com (Phil C Mettler) You know what I love about the Apollo 18 album? I can be sitting anywhere listening to my 200 disk changer, and right between a Led Zepplin song and a CCR song, one of those quirky 10 second Fingertips tracks will pop up, and I'll just bust a gut laughing. Anyway, Does anyone know if They are planning a road trip to California in the near future? Phil Mettler If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now.... -The Lady Who's Sure ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello the Band Lyrics Message-ID: <19970501.191531.6462.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 19:15:17 EDT > And does >anyone >know for sure who sings "Hello, Hello"? I know some folks think it's >Flans, >but I'm willing to bet it's Josh Fried. > It never even crossed my mind that it wouldn't be Flans. Well, one of the intervals has to be him. I thought he overdubbed his voice so that he could sing melody and harmony, much the way Linnell did in Exquisite Dead Guy. Now I'm very interested to know. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 19:16:29 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705012316.TAA24838@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: I can put my finger on it, the allure of... >TMBG: Re: Non-Tmbg:Posting Rules of Thumb Actually, based on the content of your message, I think this would probably be "META-TMBG." Since it's about things which are about TMBG, and all. And when I went to the Rochester concert in December, John Linnell didn't look at me at all. Phooey. (And They said They'd be back in April, and They probably cancelled because of the Gak incident...) >SEND ME ALL YOUR STORIES ABOUT THE STICK. Um, back in December they didn't have a Stick. Or confetti cannons. Or Puppet heads. Or Human Sacrifice. Or a two-man pink album retro set. Or a full concert (since they left six songs early). Double phooey. >2. What is John's obsession with copy shops (see Sleeping in the Flowers >and a song on Lincoln)? This has been gone over many, many times, and still no authoritative answer. Some believe that the two songs (the other is Snowball in Hell) are referring to the same thing/person -- suggesting that the line in question (which is not printed in the lyrics) says "My fantasy is in a Xerox shop." While others suggest that the line says "my panacea's in a Xerox shop" (which I prefer, since it seems a more Linnell-esque line, to me). Actually, that one could still be talking about the clerk in SitF too. >My new girlfriend likes country a lot. I want to introduce her to TMBG Well, there's always Counterfeit Faker. "Cawl awt thee undertaaaaaker, cawl awt thuh poleeeeece..." >Oh that was *you* that we saw getting in trouble....yeah, my friend was >afraid that we would get his camera taken too, so we went to the back and >just zoomed in. Got some great video! Amy, you *can* get me a copy of the audio portion of "Human Sacrifice," can't you? :) Josh I can't ignore it, although I try... /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 19:24:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970501192435_1389886480@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Non-Tmbg:Posting Rules of Thumb In a message dated 97-04-30 22:08:58 EDT, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu (Lawrence P Solomon) writes: << but trying to restrict people based on standards *you* set is a Bad Idea (tm). if anyone is going to set down rules for the list, let it be the admin. >> I didn't say that they are rules for everyone, nor restrictions. If you read over my post, you would have seen that I said they were rules that *I* follow for myself. I was simply stating what I use as a guideline and that if anyone else wanted to use them, I'd be glad to share. I was sharing my opinions, not forcing them on others. joel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705012322.SAA12676@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 19:13:56 -0500 > You know what I love about the Apollo 18 album? I can be sitting > anywhere listening to my 200 disk changer, and right between a Led > Zepplin song and a CCR song, one of those quirky 10 second Fingertips > tracks will pop up, and I'll just bust a gut laughing. .......Quirky????????????????????? Did you just call them........ QUIRKY?!?!?!?!!?!??!?! Hmmm. Mike "You know what we do to people who say the Q word!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705020024.TAA08708@dfw-ix10.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: TMBG: Internet Movie Database Search Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:22:27 -0700 For the curious I did a search on the internet movie database for soundracks with They Might Be Giants listed: Here are the soundtracks containing They Might Be Giants 1.They Might Be Giants is mentioned for movie Kicking and Screaming (1995), soundtrack line(s) Performed by They Might Be Giants (Don't Let's Start) * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 2.They Might Be Giants is mentioned for movie Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy (1996), soundtrack line(s) by They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 3.They Might Be Giants is mentioned for movie Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995), soundtrack line(s) Produced by Neil Dorfsman and They Might Be Giants Performed by They Might Be Giants (Sensurround) * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 4.They Might Be Giants is mentioned for movie Tapeheads (1988), soundtrack line(s) They Might Be Giants (Put Your Hands Inside The Puppet Head) Funny how "Ed and His Dead Mother" didn't come up, eh? ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: ahhh Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 20:24:18 EST Message-Id: <199705020024.3695400@cyberia.com> too many messages.... I just can't do it cap'n..... Soo...I was wondering... why don't they play any of the songs from John Henry at the concerts(or not many at least) I really like The End of the Tour and many of the other songs... but they never play them(also.. a self called nowhere) Oh, well.... they are all good anyway ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:23:14 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions Message-ID: <19970501.173041.3574.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Hey! It's just for fun. It's not like this will go on forever. How many references to drinks can there be??? Just be patient and ride it out. josh On Thu, 1 May 1997 16:22:23 -0400 (EDT) Adam Tyner writes: >At 02:30 PM 5/1/97 -0500, you wrote: >>you know what? this is a tmbg forum. if people wanna do this, let >them. if >>you don't like it, ignore it. at least it has tmbg content. > >Personally, I agree with Evan...if I wanted to look at lyrics, I'd go >to >tmbg.org or look at my CD liner notes... > >TTYL, > >-Adam >/========================================\ >Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com >http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ >Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:21:30 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions Message-ID: <19970501.173041.3574.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) YEAH!!!!!! Josh Nielsen On Thu, 01 May 1997 14:30:32 -0500 Geoffrey McNulty writes: >you know what? this is a tmbg forum. if people wanna do this, let >them. if >you don't like it, ignore it. at least it has tmbg content. > > >>my, my! Aren't we good at typing lyrics? Please stop it. -ec >> >------------------------------------------------------------------------ >Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when >Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows >gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." >www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos >------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 16:53:26 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions and answers (Hey...good album title...) Message-ID: <19970501.173041.3574.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Thanks! I found the song The World's Address(Joshua Re-fried Mix) when I finally looked for it. It was late and I was tired. Josh Nielsen On Thu, 01 May 1997 10:00:03 PDT "Anastasia Hunt" writes: > >>1. Where does Ana Ng live (I know it is in the southern hemisphere)? >In an Asian country. (Viet Nam?) The song was inspired by Linnell's >leafing thru >NYNEX and seeing page after page of "ng"'s. He was intrigued and wrote >a song >about it. The rest is history. >>2. What is John's obsession with copy shops (see Sleeping in the >Flowers >>and a song on Lincoln)? >You mean "Snowball in Hell"? I don't know. Flans said it just keeps >coming up. >>3. What is the name of The World's Address on Miscellaneous T? >"The World's Address (Joshua Fried remix)" >>Thanks. >>Josh Nielsen >>"Black coffee's not enough for me. I need a better friend..." >> -Linnell (I think) >Actually, Flansburgh. (But they sounded so similar in 1988.) >Anastasia ------------------------------ From: hlan1@student.monash.edu.au Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 10:37:00 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Multiple Postings Message-id: <1AC78210F03@mfs01.cc.monash.edu.au> Organization: Monash University As a lurker who gets the digest, I would like to say a liitle something about people posting lots of times in one day. I don't mind it. Actually, (and heres a little hypocrisy from one who never posts) it is those of you who post often who build up in my mind into people with personality. I'm more likely to be interested in reading your posts because there is a sense of background - like in novels, charater development is important! I *don't* like it when people unnessiarily quote someone else in entirity though. I can only get into the computor labs here at uni for 1 hour most days and every unnessiary 'Re:' makes it that much more likely that I won't have time to read the interesting stuff further down (it does exist, doesn't it?) 'Bye! Hannah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336937C7.6879@ou.edu> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 18:39:35 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: posting Hey All- I've already posted my stance on subjects, but I'm on this other list that has a system where you can control what subjects you receive mail on. Maybe this would work on this list? just a thought, Heather ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:25:39 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: drinks Message-ID: <19970501.173041.3574.3.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) On Thu, 1 May 1997 13:12:17 -0400 (EDT) Tom Hare writes: > "Black coffee's not enough for me. I need a better friend..." > -Flansburgh (I know :) >"More coffee for me, boss, because I'm not as messed up as I want to be." > -Hearing Aid > >"So sneak out this glass of bourbon and we'll go..." > -Road Movie To Berlin > > "Please Pass the Milk, Please" > -Fingertips > > "We'll race to the bottom of the glass..." > -Narrow your Eyes > (Ok, an empty glass once holding a liquid!) > >"...and after many glasses of work, I get paid..." > -Your Own Worst Enemie >"I don't know whether I'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar..." > -Dinner Bell >"I put a rock in the coffee in your coffee mug." > -I've Got A Match "Would you mind if we balanced this glass of milk where you're visitor friend accidently was killed?" -Hearing Aid "Hey Nyquil driver, it's Nyquil driving time." -AKA Driver ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: hello there Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 20:43:59 EST Message-Id: <199705020043.3708900@cyberia.com> To the fighting members of this list: Stop it... remember we are all equalls in the eye's of John and John.... We are all Giant's fans! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970501205209.0073da84@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 20:52:14 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: drinks >"Would you mind if we balanced this glass of milk where you're visitor >friend accidently was killed?" > -Hearing Aid Isn't this from "Someone Keeps Moving My Chair"? =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:30:21 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: You all Message-ID: <19970501.173041.3574.4.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Yes. I know what you were talking about when you said snail-mail. But in www.tmbg.com says e-mail: Be sure you keep up to date with everything Giant! A nifty old-fashioned version of the info club (on paper!) is available FREE via snail mail. Sign up yourself or a friend by either E-MAILING, calling 914-359-0867, or writing Dept. PPFNP, Box 110535, Williamsburgh Station, Brooklyn, NY 11211-0003. Please include your full name, street address and zip code. That is what I was talking about. Josh Nielsen On Thu, 01 May 1997 02:28:50 EDT tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) writes: > >On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 21:11:35 PST jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D >Nielsen) writes: >>I think that is what I am going to have to do. At the official site, > >>it says you can e-mail them, but it never gives an address (but then >>again, you know my searching skills. I overlooked The World's A >Dress >>on Miscellanwous T). Do you happen to know the e-mail address? >>Josh Nielsen >>jnielsen69@juno.com >> > >No no no, not e-mail. I mean actually mail something via the US postal >service. This is what the term snail-mail refers to. Anyway, just >write to this address to be on Their snail-mailing list: > >INFO CLUB, c/o TMB Productions, PO Box 110535, Williamsburgh Station, >Brooklyn, NY 11211-0003 > >or you can call (914) 359-0867 > >Hope this helps! > >-Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) >!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the >part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3367EB81.4243@erols.com> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 21:01:53 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: Re: TMBG: The STICK Ok, I'm a dumbhead. Well, maybe not, but I'm a newbie and haven't seen They in a few years. What's The Stick? I have gleaned that it is a very important entity. Please forgive my ignorance. Tracy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705020039.TAA14127@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Proximity to the Power Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 20:29:23 -0500 So, who on this list is 'closest' to the Johns, as in general correspondance? Would it be you, Leo? Anybody? I have a question, and perhaps it would be answered by listies too, as this theme has no doubt been crossed over before.. I'm in the stages of a TMBG-related comic book (this would be unassociated with the movement I see that was tried amongst listies in the past, before my subscribing) and I have some copyright issues I'd like to ponder about. Well, I don't really know how to phrase any more questions without giving away the whole thing (this is what I'm working on, what with my other NonTmbg work, that is holding up the webpage o' mine..) so did anyone ever decide what legality there is in a comic book endeavor such as this? I'm taking elements of some songs, and writing them into a story. I could say that I made it then, couldn't I? Could I sell it? Or does it automatically become property of TMBG (something I don't really mind) since I use phrases and such from the songs? This is why I _never_ mess with stuff other than what is entirely my own, indisputable creativity. I suppose I'll have to look through my government papers to find the exact answers to my wonders. During the whole card fiasco (when i heard of the comic book idea) I looked at my cards and thought "How lame".. and then I put together a totally unique story and threw in TMBG elements, and though "How lame, but cool!" I want to make it to (a)Show my power, (B) Make something nifty out of the songs of TMBG, and (c) impress the listies and perhaps the Johns. Who knows. Perhaps I'll just give up. I really hate using other peoples stuff. It's like when aaaal the kids whanted me to draw for them in school. "Draw me something!" "what?" I'd ask, knowing I could not escape. "I dunno" they'd reply. Then they'd ask for Garfield, or something alongthat line, and it would burn me up. Eventually I stopped drawing for others. And with this THEY business, when I do somehting (cards, etc.) I feel like one of those nimrods in junior high who wrote METALLICA all over their notebooks and on their pants and OZZY on their knuckles and I ask myself "Have I lowered to THAT?" Because, although I am a TMBG fan, that's all I am. I don't want to be some talentless hack who reproduces blatant image after image that he/she gleaned from the lyric books, like "Oh, that says Cowtown! I will make them in a town full of cows! hee hee!". No. I'd like to think that there is just a TEENSE more creativity in my 18 year cartoonist noggin. And I DO NOT have the Johns in the comic book. I ABHOR drawing people. That's why the cards look so hideous on my page! ^_^ Mike "Although it's more creative than Andy Warhol" Leffel I'd quote all the lyrics to all the john songs just to be funny, but I'm sure someone would scream 'BASTARD!' and make my life a living hell. ^_^ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33694564.100A@ou.edu> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 19:37:40 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: let's make him feel cool Besides the quirky word, I don't understand why people have to include silly details that make them look more upscale and neat. 200! You are cool! Much better than the rest of us.. you should meet this guy in my art class who begins HIS stories by saying," I think it was the fourth time we were coming back from Hawaii...." You know, the guy nobody likes. Heather I can be sitting > > anywhere listening to my 200 disk changer, and right between a Led > > Zepplin song and a CCR song, one of those quirky 10 second Fingertips ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 18:31:50 PST Subject: TMBG: Blah Message-ID: <19970501.183552.9606.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) What the hey is the last 30 seconds of Hide Away Folk Family??? I tried playing it backwards, but nothing makes sense. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 18:40:01 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: drinks Message-ID: <19970501.184309.9606.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Yes, you are right. My fingers were going faster than my brain. I'm sorry *weep*. Josh Nielsen On Thu, 01 May 1997 20:52:14 -0400 Jeff Morrow writes: >>"Would you mind if we balanced this glass of milk where you're >visitor >>friend accidently was killed?" >> -Hearing Aid > >Isn't this from "Someone Keeps Moving My Chair"? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705020121.UAA15069@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: New COmmercial, Skewed TMBG reference.. Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 21:13:26 -0500 There's a new car commercial and you can hear JESSICA playing in the background. I know it's most likely the Allman Bros. that they're enamoring, and not the TMBG, but it still sounds cool. :) Mike "..And there's a basset hound" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 21:21:53 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Blah Message-ID: I think this was already mentioned. They were just making noise to make us wonder.... On Thu, 1 May 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > What the hey is the last 30 seconds of Hide Away Folk Family??? > I tried playing it backwards, but nothing makes sense. > Josh Nielsen > ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 22:34:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970501223356_1456337877@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Hello all Could someone please E-mail me The Giants current tour sechudle? I don't have acess to the internet and it would be very helpful for me. Thanks ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: I can put my finger on it, the allure of... Message-ID: <19970501.225154.4750.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 22:51:10 EDT >This has been gone over many, many times, and still no authoritative >answer. >Some believe that the two songs (the other is Snowball in Hell) are >referring to the same thing/person -- suggesting that the line in >question >(which is not printed in the lyrics) says "My fantasy is in a Xerox >shop." >While others suggest that the line says "my panacea's in a Xerox shop" >(which I prefer, since it seems a more Linnell-esque line, to me). > Actually, both Sleeping In The Flowers and Snowball In Hell are sung by Flansburgh. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705020317.WAA44484@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 22:10:56 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: the email dilemma solved okay everybody, i figured out the email thing. what i did was email whoever is in charge of the site (it's on the credits page), and asked them to put me on the mailing list. they will put you on the snail mail list, and you will get the newsletter, which is exactly the same as www.tmbg.com, so don't really worry about it. oh, and to the rest of you who (like me) are wondering when the next newsletter is coming out, keep an eye on the web page. the next time it gets (dramatically) updated, we'll get a new newsletter in the mail. i want to make another lyric biock, by gum! by the way, on a non tmbg note, i would like to recommend a new band to ya'll. they are a minneapolis (my home town) band called FLIPP. sorta like sex pistols/rolling stones/kiss kind of thing. if you get a chance, plunk down five dollars and see them in concert. they have more energy that anyone i've ever seen in concert. oh, and i know the guys in the band too, and they're really nice. geoff (is listening to nothing because he just turned off the tv after watching part 3 of the shining miniseries on abc) mcnulty At 05:30 PM 5/1/97 PST, you wrote: >Yes. I know what you were talking about when you said snail-mail. But >in www.tmbg.com says e-mail: >Be sure you keep up to date with > everything Giant! A nifty > old-fashioned version of the info > club (on paper!) is available > FREE via snail mail. Sign up > yourself or a friend by either > E-MAILING, calling 914-359-0867, > or writing Dept. PPFNP, Box > 110535, Williamsburgh Station, > Brooklyn, NY 11211-0003. Please > include your full name, street > address and zip code. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 23:37:59 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970501233757_1254964242@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Simpsons There was another cool tmbg ref in Simpsons. Well...it wasnt intentional, but it was still cool. Springfield Elementary held an assembly featuring people who do tricks with Yo Yos. The music in the background was "This is the dawning of the age of aquarius!" Ive never heard the real song before,and it was pretty coo. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 23:52:03 -0500 From: elleng@massart.edu (ellen g.) Subject: Re: TMBG: Blah >> What the hey is the last 30 seconds of Hide Away Folk Family??? >> I tried playing it backwards, but nothing makes sense. >> Josh Nielsen >> >I think this was already mentioned. They were just making noise to make >us wonder.... Actually, I thought it was *really* neat when they took the effort to sing the backwards-esque portion of Hide Away in concert. It made me admire Them even more! Exactly when did The Stick start appearing? I was at their last Boston show (What was it? I mean when? oh yeah, late March) and there was no Stick. :( I feel as if I missed out on some precious moment... -ellen "What is the function of the artist?" "The function of the artist, is to provide what life does not." -Tom Robbins, Another Roadside Attraction ************************************** Visit Eclectic Ellen G's Website, presently being revamped! http://www.tiac.net/users/gersh/ellen.htm ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 23:52:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705020352.XAA16624@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: TMBG: I can put my finger on it, the allure of... At 10:51 PM 5/1/97 EDT, Evan R Kleve wrote: >Actually, both Sleeping In The Flowers and Snowball In Hell are sung by >Flansburgh. Heh, that's the funniest thing I've seen all day. :) And quite true, too. My goof. /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33696864.568F@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 21:07:00 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Tour Dates Uhh... ANYONE here can just go to www.tmbg.org and find the tour dates there... So you can all stop asking for them now... *GASP* I have to go see if They're coming to WA anytime soon!!! -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199705020414.AAA29114@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 1 May 1997 23:14:18 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG- Kiddies & Partical Man I was just listening to "Kids singing Partical Man", and in the background, I swear I heard a couple of the kids fighting ("OWWW!" "stop"). If this is the case, I might just have to listen to it a couple more times to get the whole fight. I normally skip this song at all costs, but a kiddie fight, that's quality entertainment. Reminds me of a family reunion.... Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 00:19:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970502001910_1006869741@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Stick story, Chicago Radio Hello 41- The first part of business is a story about the stick. I admit, I am not telling this first hand, and the person who told me would probably whine at me for telling it, but she's not on the list, so I'll try. Stick- When the stick came out of retirement for the Irving Plaza shows, everything seemed to be going well. But Flans tried it during soundcheck, and it broke! Uh-oh! So what happens? No stick? Broken stick? Of course not. Flans calls a guy that does merchandising for TMBG, and told him what happened, and said to run around upstate New York finding a replacement stick. I can just imagine him running around a forrest looking for a replacement stick, it makes me laugh. But a new stick was found and the show went on! Chicago Radio- I know from my people, that TMBG did an interview on Q-101 on Tuesday I think, and one on WXRT on Wednesday. For the LOVE OF GOD someone tell me they recorded them. 8^) I have more than enough stuff to trade for them. Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 00:31:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Blah Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-May-97 Re: TMBG: Blah by ellen g.@massart.edu > Actually, I thought it was *really* neat when they took the effort to sing > the backwards-esque portion of Hide Away in concert. It made me admire the point is it isn't actually backwards - it's them singing forwards pretending it's reversed, so they can duplicate it almost identically in concert... what's really neat is hearing Linnell sing Subliminal backwards in concert... he did it kind of interestingly at the 9:30 club in December.... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705020359.WAA17858@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Spank me mama, I'm begging for more Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 23:51:06 -0500 Have They ever opened a concert with END OF THE TOUR? Will they? :) Mike "Not beginning a thread, just pondering" Leffel ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-121 ******************************