Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-122 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 122 Saturday, 3 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: HURRAH! TMBG: CHAT ROOM HELPFUL HINT Re: TMBG: Blah Re: TMBG: I can put my finger on it, the allure of... Re: TMBG: Blah (actually re: The Stick) TMBG: In the News TMBG: Mono Puff's Single TMBG: Mono Puff's Single Re: TMBG: I can put my finger on it, the allure of... TMBG: The first appearance of The Stick???? TMBG: stick Re: TMBG: Mono Puff's Single TMBG: Nicole's random shirt experiences Re: TMBG: The first appearance of The Stick???? TMBG: non-tmbg (ap lit) Re: TMBG: TMBG- Kiddies & Partical Man Re: TMBG: A nod from El Centro Re: TMBG: Nicole's random shirt experiences TMBG: Friends, Romans, Giants... TMBG: KU show hype Re: TMBG: drinks Re: TMBG: Questions and answers (Hey...good album title...) Re: TMBG: let's make him feel cool Re: TMBG: hello there Re: TMBG: Blah RE: TMBG: The Stick! RE: TMBG: hello there TMBG: TMBG SUX Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX TMBG: Don't be a mettalic tool Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX TMBG: Security 'muscle' Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX TMBG: THE STICK!!! singles, shirts TMBG: and never hold your fire TMBG: Patriots Of Theyness, Warriors of Glee, T-M, T-M, TMBG! Hooray! Re: TMBG: and never hold your fire Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX TMBG: ***holes Re: TMBG: non-tmbg (ap lit) RE: TMBG: and never hold your fire Re: TMBG: and never hold your fire Re: TMBG: Enter Sandman TMBG: tmbg sux? Re: TMBG: tmbg sux? Re: TMBG: Security 'muscle' Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 13:44:01 +0100 Message-Id: <97050213440179@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: HURRAH! IT'S 3.PM THE DAY AFTER THE GENERAL ELECTION. I'M PISSED The evil Tory bastards are out after *18*m years. Fuckin' A Yvonne ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970502130822.00666e1c@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 09:08:22 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: CHAT ROOM HELPFUL HINT Hey all, Just dropping a little helpful hint for all those taking advantage of the WBS chat room. In case you missed Phil's (my **actual** brother) previous message, WBS is located at . It is free to join and there are a million different rooms, so it's worth it. I don't recall how exactly to get to the room, but my bro's e-mail is . Drop him a line if you want instructions. Anywho, to the hint - when the chat screen finishes loading, scroll down until you reach a box called "Refresh Rate." Type in either 10 or 15, and hit enter. This causes the screen to update itself every 10 or 15 seconds, respectively. If you DON'T do this, I believe the default is 60. So unless you want to miss a lot of chat, please heed this advice. :) On a personal note, I'll be in the room tomorrow (assuming my brother creates it again) probably around 11 am or maybe 2 pm, EST. My handle is UCstudent, so if you're there, feel free to just drop a "Hello." ;) See ya round, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) PS- If any of the above is a repeat, forgive me - I am a digester. ;) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705021330.AA00413@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Blah Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 09:30:28 -0400 (EDT) > Exactly when did The Stick start appearing? I was at their last Boston > show (What was it? I mean when? oh yeah, late March) and there was no > Stick. :( I feel as if I missed out on some precious moment... The Stick made it's first re-appearance (well, there's a good chance it was the first appearance for this particular Stick) On February 21 at Irving Plaza in their hometown of NYC! It was a great show, and I remember seeing a video for "We're Through Being Cool" by Devo and thinking that it was just a plain wacky video. But anyway.. /Matt -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 09:35:31 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: I can put my finger on it, the allure of... Message-ID: On Thu, 1 May 1997, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > Um, back in December they didn't have a Stick. Or confetti cannons. Or > Puppet heads. Or Human Sacrifice. Or a two-man pink album retro set. Or a > full concert (since they left six songs early). Double phooey. Actually, on the TMBG Video Bootleg, vol. 2 there is a performance of Lie Still, Little Bottle with Linnell on bari and Flans with the Stick, and the performance was fairly old (I'm thinking '90-ish). Oh wait, are you just saying that they didn't have it at a particular show? Oh, OK. Carry on, then. :) --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705021524.LAA01999@qbert.rs.itd.umich.edu> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 11:24:47 -0400 From: susan Subject: Re: TMBG: Blah (actually re: The Stick) Actually, the Stick appeared in all of its thumping glory at the Feb. 19th show in Ypsilanti, Michigan. I don't remember hearing about it (or the confetti canon, for that matter) before that show. susan At 09:30 AM 5/2/97 -0400, Matthew James wrote: >The Stick made it's first re-appearance (well, there's a good chance it >was the first appearance for this particular Stick) On February 21 at >Irving Plaza in their hometown of NYC! * ------------------------------------- the nicest of the damned mozzer@umich.edu the.statue@tmbg.org http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mozzer * ------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 12:18:06 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: TMBG: In the News Message-Id: so i picked up a copy of the University Daily Kansan today and headed to lunch. halfway through my oh*so*yummy cafeteria grilled cheese sandwich, i turned to the back page and nearly choked with amazement to see a FULL PAGE-FULL COLOR spread about the Johns and the show here tomorrow!!! it's an interview by one of the staff here, and it's awesome. the spread has the pic from the factory showroom poster big as life as well as some basic info about the show...anyhow, my point here is 1) the UDK is AWESOME and 2) i picked up about 15 copies, so if you want one, all you gotta do is send me a SASE and it's all yours. please e-mail me soon, though, so i can get it sorted out, cause i'm doing the graduating/moving/rest of my life thing in a couple of weeks, so i'd hate for it to get lost in the chaos. counting the hours... jillian ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* my name is jillian i study the earth i need a job woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970502175101.006792a0@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 10:51:01 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff's Single Wrote Jeremy L. Skrenes about Mono Puff: >but i'm curious if anybody has the 4 song cd of non >album tracks and if it's worth the $10 at circuit city where i found >it. Actually, if you don't think it's worth it, could you buy one for me? :-) I can't find that single anywhere! I just got Unsupervised about two weeks ago, and it grows on me continually. To me, it's actually not too TMBG-like, but it does have the Flans touch. Hmm... wish there was a better way I could put that, but I guess you all know what I mean by the "Flans touch." (For comparison, see State Songs for the "Linnell touch.") ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705021754.AA00995@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff's Single Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 13:54:38 -0400 (EDT) > >but i'm curious if anybody has the 4 song cd of non > >album tracks and if it's worth the $10 at circuit city where i found > >it. $10 seems a bit steep for the Devil Went Down to Newport single (or any domestic, not-out-of-print CD single). I think it's normally $5.99 or $6.99 (as with most Cd singles). It's not like it's rare or anything.. /Matt -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 14:22:56 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: Re: TMBG: I can put my finger on it, the allure of... Message-Id: >On Thu, 1 May 1997, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >> Um, back in December they didn't have a Stick. Or confetti cannons. Or >> Puppet heads. Or Human Sacrifice. Or a two-man pink album retro set. Or a >> full concert (since they left six songs early). Double phooey. > and then later, Tara Weber added >Actually, on the TMBG Video Bootleg, vol. 2 there is a performance of Lie >Still, Little Bottle with Linnell on bari and Flans with the Stick, and >the performance was fairly old (I'm thinking '90-ish). > >Oh wait, are you just saying that they didn't have it at a particular >show? Oh, OK. Carry on, then. :) Yeah, well, that's been my experience for the most part. They would have had the puppet heads then, but I think that was right after (aieee) the originals got stolen. I'm mad. I've seen 5 FS concerts and not one then concert. And the one then concert I was meant to go to got cancelled. Bleh. Well at least I found that Linnell only play chords on puppet head, or else, I would learn the value of John sacrifice. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705022123.QAA11466@csrlink.net> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 16:25:17 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: The first appearance of The Stick???? I have a bootleg of a 6/27/87 show in Atlanta (Thanks to Ellen Kao!) in which The Stick is used during Lie Still Little Bottle. People seem to be talking about it being a fairly recent thing but this is about as old as it gets. They mention that it's from Lincoln, (?) Mass. Thought I'd mention it. -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970502172657.00f93088@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 17:26:57 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: stick I'm disappointed.... there was no schtick at the concert I went to... -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970502173307.00f97e00@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 17:33:07 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff's Single At 10:51 AM 5/2/97 -0700, J Chen wrote: >Hmm... wish there was a better way I could put that, but I guess you all >know what I mean by the "Flans touch." (For comparison, see State Songs for >the "Linnell touch.") You mean that ancient martial arts technique? the one where you put two fingers right there.... yeah... that spot on your neck, and then push a little.... yeah that's it, isn't it? -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970502134606.006a6adc@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 13:46:18 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Nicole's random shirt experiences >You: They Might Be Giants >Friend: Well, which is it, are they Giants or aren't they? This is my dad's favorite joke. He thinks it's a real zinger. That, and "Well, don't they know yet?" >You know what I love about the Apollo 18 album? I can be sitting >anywhere listening to my 200 disk changer, and right between a Led >Zepplin song and a CCR song, one of those quirky 10 second Fingertips >tracks will pop up, and I'll just bust a gut laughing. I do that in my parents' 5 CD changer. I'll get out five musically diverse CDs and put them all on shuffle. Nothing beats hearing a Fingertip between 13th-century polyphony and "Guys and Dolls". :) >What the hey is the last 30 seconds of Hide Away Folk Family??? >I tried playing it backwards, but nothing makes sense. >Anyway, >Does anyone know if They are planning a road trip to California in the >near future? Oi. Sorry to break this to you, big guy, but you just missed them. I feel your pain. Hopefully they'll be back before the next tour... I remember all too well that they didn't set foot in CA between the JH tour and the FS tour... two long years... >What the hey is the last 30 seconds of Hide Away Folk Family??? >I tried playing it backwards, but nothing makes sense. It's J&J's fake backwards singing (twas recorded forwards). The only songs that have genuine secret messages (i.e. not just part of the song reversed, like Subliminal) are I'll Sink Manhattan, Which Describes How You're Feeling All The Time (demo version), and Pencil Rain. >I did a search on the internet movie database for soundracks with They >Might Be Giants listed: Didn't someone report that they'd seen a movie where at one point the characters are standing in a room or a hall and "Snail Shell" is playing in the room next door? Or am I making this up? Today I walked into my CS class and saw a guy with a shirt that had *shock of recognition* the A18 whale-and-squid on it! Cool, thought I! So I said, "Hey, you're a TMBG fan!" "Excuse me?" "Your shirt--it has the Apollo 18 logo on it." "Oh, They Might Be Giants. [at this point, it dawned on me that he hadn't recognized 'TMBG' as an acronym for They Might Be Giants, so he was probably not a True Fan] Yeah, I never went to their concert." Now, the odd thing is that I'd never seen any shirt like that before. It was white and had the whale-and-squid on the front. I couldn't read the back clearly, owing to the fact that he had his backpack on, but it said "They Might Be Giants" and something else. Now where did he get such a shirt? I don't recall the Info Club offering it... But yesterday, while walking through the halls wearing my The Man shirt, I noticed a guy with a John Henry shirt. We mutually grinned at each other as we passed, in compliment of our excellent musical taste. --nicole the wonder nerd who is sending out psychic signals to the Johns, saying "Come to Sacramento! Come to Sacramento! You will make a Wonder Nerd extremely happy!" *** "Circumstances eat themselves. The present tense has been." --Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Jeremy L. Skrenes" Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 17:44:17 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: The first appearance of The Stick???? Message-ID: <4A0D0DF5FF3@athena.valpo.edu> when i saw them in grand rapids, they had the stick happening. after "lie still," the stick left, "broken down for kindling," said flans, "awwww" said us. then we started yelling "stick, stick, stick," in rhythmic fashion, but to no avail. though i believe in the live version of "spider," flansburg did turn the stick upside down and put his mouth over the bottom mic and say something, though it was pretty distorted. that or it was during lie still. i wish i would have taken notes. in other news, i just got the "devil went down" ep from mono puff. the sticker on the cd was wrong, cause i also bought a somehwat lame punk compilation cd for $2.99 (i didn't expect much for that price, but i got a few good songs), and the total was just over $10. fortunately my disdain towards large corporate stores kicked in before my honesty did, and i didn't protest being undercharged. it's a pretty good cd, with a beck-ish remix of "devil" and a cool mono puff sticker that you can put on something. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336A6FBC.6CAD@erols.com> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 18:50:36 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg (ap lit) Anybody out there studying for the AP Lit exam that's gonna be on Monday? Wanna talk Literature? I figure there's some smart people in the tmbg fan base; maybe you're looking forward to the exam as much as I am. Tracy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336A7F3F.2F21@erols.com> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 19:56:47 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG- Kiddies & Partical Man > > I was just listening to "Kids singing Partical Man", and in the > background, I swear I heard a couple of the kids fighting ("OWWW!" > "stop"). I love that. It's awesome. Makes me laugh every time. Tracy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 19:04:18 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: A nod from El Centro Message-ID: On Thu, 1 May 1997, Big.Bad.Robbie.G. wrote: > wheeeeeeeehelll, He was most likely reffering to our beloved boys. On my recent > tour of ESPN studios, I noticed that someone's desk had the picture of them > that was in the globe taped over it. I didn't recognize the name, but I remeber > it as being John. > That is so cool! And I thought it just a fluke. That'll teach me to think. So, we have ESPN, and NBC (or so we think)- well, kids, on 498 other channels to conquer, and we'll have a TMBG media empire! Let's go! ________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <________ *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 19:17:10 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Nicole's random shirt experiences Message-ID: On Fri, 2 May 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > Didn't someone report that they'd seen a movie where at one point the > characters are standing in a room or a hall and "Snail Shell" is playing in > the room next door? Or am I making this up? > I've heard that this was "The Real World." > Now, the odd thing is that I'd never seen any shirt like that before. It > was white and had the whale-and-squid on the front. I couldn't read the > back clearly, owing to the fact that he had his backpack on, but it said I've seen one of these, but it was Flood. I wanted to post something about it but forgot so I'm glad you brought it up! Are these like, album promotional shirts, or something? I figure the others that we all know and love are offered mainly as concert fair and maybe those album shirts are offered by Elektra (as opposed to TMBProductions) as a promo thing...Whaddya think sirs? This true? ________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <________ *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705030032.UAA28546@relief.idirect.com> From: "Andrew J. Chapman" Organization: the Nostradamus Glee Club Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 20:25:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Friends, Romans, Giants... Just thought I'd let you all know of my new email adress ajc@idirect.com Of course, a good portion of you probably don't care at all, but I'm sure one or two do. Here's to that one or two :) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder|Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who rob or plunder|Heckler Extraordinaire Underdog. Underdog!|ajc@idirect.com webhome.idirect.com/~ajc/index.htm ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 19:46:41 -0500 (CDT) From: Uncle Walter Subject: TMBG: KU show hype Message-Id: Hey fellow listers, here's a couple of articles that ran in today's KU paper about the KU concert tomorrow. The first is just a general article about Day on the Hill, and the second is an interview with Linnell. They are both pretty good and I hope they get you all pumped up for tomorrow. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nerdy rockers, Twister to highlight Day on Hill By Dave Morantz Kansan staff writer It wont be Woodstock, and thank God it wont be a Lollapalooza. But tomorrow, the Hill will be alive with the sound of music. Day on the Hill, the Universitys annual play day before finals, will kick off a little before noon tomorrow on the West Campanile Hill. The event, sponsored by Student Union Activities, will feature They Might Be Giants, a duo of nerdy rockers sure to put smiles on peoples faces. The concert is free. I bet theres going to be a bunch of bouncing people there, said Michelle Dennard, live music coordinator for SUA. Its just kind of quirky music. At about 11:30 a.m. tomorrow, DJ Ray Valasquez will warm up the crowd with his brand of mixed music. Chebella!, winners of the KJHK Farmers Ball, a contest for local bands, will go on stage around noon. The Gravel Pit will go on next, followed by Norman 360, the Glitter Kicks and Arthur Dodge and the Horse Feathers. They Might Be Giants will play last. The event should end around 6 p.m. SUA will spend $15,000 on the event with another $5,000 from donated sources. Dennard said she expects between 6,000 to 8,000 people to attend the event. Concert goers can enter a giant Twister competition in the parking lot at the top of the hill. And the Center for Community Outreach will hold a canned and dry food drive with proceeds to be donated to the Penn House, a charity organization. In years past, rain storms have turned the hill into a giant mud pit and kept all but die-hard fans away from the event. The rain also turned the events previous location of Campanile Hill into a quagmire and made the graduation procession a nightmare. So two years ago, SUA moved the event one hill to the west. But festival goers can still expect some mud. KU Weather Services said rain from today and tonight will soften the ground. They predict a 30 percent chance for rain tomorrow morning but clear skies and a high in the low 60s tomorrow afternoon. Dennard said the event would only be canceled in a case of severe weather. Day on the Hill was started in 1989 after Sue Buckley, SUA adviser, and students decided to revive an annual music festival from the mid 80s called Day on the Green Hill. In 1989, SUA only had a budget of $3,000. With Pearl Jams performance in 1992, the event began drawing fans from across the region. But with the notoriety came restrictions. Dennard said SUA could not exceed the $20,000 budget because of space restrictions and worries that the campus would turn into a giant freak show. Sgt. Chris Keary of the KU police said in previous years, the event had caused relatively few problems. Keary cautioned people attending the event to not bring alcohol. Its a pretty zany thing to play in front of an outdoor crowd, said Travis Millard, vocalist and guitarist for Chebella!. Were not nervous yet, but anxious. Before we go on it will probably set in. * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Kansan chats it up with John Linnell of They Might Be Giants Interview with Jeff Ruby Ten questions for John Linnell, 37, They Might Be Giants: 1. Not many people know what you look like. Do you like being anonymous, and how does that affect your music? I think the whole idea of us not being on the record covers is because we really didn't want for us to be some personalities. We really want to focus attention on what were doing. You go to an airport and you see books where the authors picture is on the cover. Thats a real warning sign that somethings f---ed up. There are a lot of other bands I like seeing the way they look, like The Ramones. Theres something interesting about the way they look. But I don't find myself interesting-looking. John and I kind of prefer to be anonymous. 2. On your song How Can I Sing Like a Girl?, theres a line that says, I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher. Do you guys consider yourselves freaks? Its more like a universal thing. Like everybody feels like an outsider, especially when you're younger. Everyone who has ever been to high school feels like a weirdo. So its kind of a point of pride to say I don't have to be like you. And theres a tendency to think that the artist is always talking about himself. Its so natural when you hear someone singing to think that they're telling you about their life. We don't write about our own lives. They're not that interesting. 3. Do you guys ever get treated like rock stars? How does that make you feel? We get to that point where the time were supposedly being treated most like rock stars is when I feel the most uncomfortable. I'm really not into the whole VIP lounge. I'm not really into being friends with music industry hotshots. There is this thing in the music industry where you're supposed to be friends with everybody to the point of almost being intimate with everybody even people you've just met. Like you meet the program director of a radio station and you give him a hug. Thats sort of an exaggeration, but it can be kind of like that sometimes. 4. Do you see other bands getting into that lifestyle? I was just reading this article in the New Yorker about this kid whos in this band Radish, and he's like 14, and it describes him getting sucked into this scene. You know, he goes to Tom Pettys house, and I forget who all was there I don't know, Bob Dylan maybe but they're all kind of behaving like they're old friends with this kid. It kind of creeped me out. The kids band is supposed to be the next big thing. They were on Conan last week, but it just seems like, how long can that last? 5. Whats the strangest misinterpretation of your lyrics that has gotten back to you? I kind of dig the fact that there are these lit majors out there who have actually done a lot more reading than me and John. Somebody said one of our other songs (The Statue Got Me High) was exactly like the opera Don Giovanni. I never quite got the whole story, but it sounded like they had something. I started telling people that the song was in fact based on Don Giovanni, but that I had never heard it. Thats my official line. 6. Do you have a vision as a band? I always feel like wed probably be better off if we had goals. But we never really plan things out. Part of it is that John and I don't get into deep discussions about the future of the band. We've gotten a lot of mileage out of not deciding that were entering our next phase or whatever. We kind of backed into the whole thing with the rock band. For us it was so unusual to have a band, it was such a big change, it was a radical change. 7. Whats the weirdest thing you've seen people doing at your shows? Like all these huge conga lines and stuff that your audiences do. Actually, we instigated the conga line. We've been doing that for awhile. But one time we were doing some festival where a guy actually shot out of the crowd like a cannon and came right toward me. He must have been full of adrenaline he just propelled himself straight toward me. And then, a security guy just appeared like an anti-ballistic missile and intercepted him just before he came to me. It was really like an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. 8. Why the fascination with James Polk? My friend Matt and I just randomly selected a president, not knowing anything about it. It turned out he was really important. He did these very dramatic things, like he presided over the last big expansion of the country. And he was kind of a low-key guy. Theres not too many monuments to him, he's not on money, but I think he was more important than Andrew Jackson. I'd say he's about even with Teddy Roosevelt. 9.Do you ever get sick of They Might be Giants being called quirky pop? The short answer is yes. It doesn't really tell you anything about what were doing. I don't really think of us as quirky, because I'm so immersed in what were doing that to me its really normal. Were not trying to do something odd, were trying to do something good. I don't really know exactly how I want to be characterized. Its enough for people to like what were doing. 10. Which do you enjoy parodying more? Yourselves, or rock and roll? I'm not going to say we never engage in parody, but I think its one of those things, like being quirky, that we don't want people to perceive as our attitude. We are in the rock world. We cant really point at it, because were inside it. So were not really out to parody stuff. We tend to be pretty light-hearted about the importance of what were doing. You shouldn't get too pretentious. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336A94F6.469F@BlazeNet.net> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 21:29:27 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: drinks > > >"Would you mind if we balanced this glass of milk where you're visitor > >friend accidently was killed?" > > -Hearing Aid > > Isn't this from "Someone Keeps Moving My Chair"? > you're right, it isn't Hearing Aid ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336A95F5.4AA2@BlazeNet.net> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 21:33:41 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions and answers (Hey...good album title...) > >>1. Where does Ana Ng live (I know it is in the southern hemisphere)? > >In an Asian country. (Viet Nam?) The song was inspired by Linnell's > >leafing thru > >NYNEX and seeing page after page of "ng"'s. He was intrigued and wrote > >a song > >about it. The rest is history. This is kinda off topic, but I met this guy whose last name was Ng. I was amazed and politely asked him which asian country his parents came from. He told me China. Maybe it's both Chinese and Vietnamese, I don't know..... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336A9796.50F1@BlazeNet.net> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 21:40:38 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: let's make him feel cool > Besides the quirky word, I don't understand why people have to include > silly details that make them look more upscale and neat. > 200! You are cool! > Much better than the rest of us.. you should meet this guy in my art > class who begins HIS stories by saying," I think it was the fourth > time we were coming back from Hawaii...." You know, the guy nobody > likes. > > Heather > Calm Down, Who Really Cares??? It's just a small inconsequantial detail... Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336A9863.2276@BlazeNet.net> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 21:44:03 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: hello there The Christ Family wrote: > > To the fighting members of this list: Stop it... remember we are all > equalls in the eye's of John and John.... We are all Giant's fans! My friend here is right...who cares?? Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336A99FD.54D4@BlazeNet.net> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 21:50:53 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: Blah > what's really neat is hearing Linnell sing Subliminal backwards in > concert... he did it kind of interestingly at the 9:30 club in > December.... when I heard The Giants for the first time, They just ended the song at the backwords part. What a ripoff!! Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: The Stick! Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 15:29:16 -0700 >---------- >From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu[SMTP:mjames@greed.loyola.edu] >Sent: Thursday, May 01, 1997 11:34 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: The Stick! > >Actually, this stick is much bigger than walking-stick sized. It is >about 2 feet taller than Flansburgh! A large cord is wrapped around it >and at the end of the cord is the micophone and it is *very* loud when >Flans slams it. I heard somewhere, though, that this is the second >Stick, the first was lost. Um, was it lost when they "lost" all their other equipment from their van? Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: hello there Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 15:57:29 -0700 >---------- >From: skibum@cyberia.com[SMTP:skibum@cyberia.com] >Sent: Thursday, May 01, 1997 6:43 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: hello there > >To the fighting members of this list: Stop it... remember we are all >equalls in the eye's of John and John.... We are all Giant's fans! Yes, well some are MORE equal than others! (: Specifically, those who've paid Them more money via purchasing more of Their stuff. *grin* Jesse, who has every album and all but 2 of the singles. (: ------------------------------ From: FPumpkins@aol.com Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 22:05:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970502220513_-1098798957@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG SUX I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch with reality and listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) Thank you ANTI-TMBG! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 19:12:23 -0700 (PDT) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX Message-ID: On Fri, 2 May 1997 FPumpkins@aol.com wrote: > I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch with reality and > listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) Shoo, lil' boy! Shoo, I say! | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336AC8B1.615F@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 22:10:09 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX You are absoluteley right! I never realized the error of my ways until you pointed them out. Im gonna go destroy all of my TMBG CD's RIGHT NOW and go buy everything Tool and Metallica have ever recorded. Thank you sir for your kind notice! The ever greateful- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 22:22:01 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: Don't be a mettalic tool Message-Id: While thisis slightly hypocritical, please, don't respond to this! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970502222947.00f8e920@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 22:29:47 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX >I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch with reality and >listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) > >Thank you >ANTI-TMBG! OK, I'm personally ending this thread before it even starts. Don't reply to this. thanks. -ec (P.S. Who else thinks TMBG could put a cool-ass spin on a cover of "Enter Sandman"?) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705030239.WAA08518@relief.idirect.com> From: "Andrew J. Chapman" Organization: the Nostradamus Glee Club Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 22:32:27 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX > From: FPumpkins@aol.com > Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 22:05:14 -0400 (EDT) > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: TMBG SUX > Reply-to: FPumpkins@aol.com > I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch with > reality and listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) > Thank you > ANTI-TMBG! Another thrilling example of what happens when you give 10 hours of free internet to the mindless masses. But, with your help, we can stop the insanity, by sending these people back to their Segas and Nintendos, back where they belong, back where they needn't be faced with the complication of a keyboard, with all those confusing buttons. Can't we all just get along? -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder|Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who rob or plunder|Heckler Extraordinaire Underdog. Underdog!|ajc@idirect.com webhome.idirect.com/~ajc/index.htm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705030149.UAA13907@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Security 'muscle' Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 21:06:48 -0500 Hey there concert goers! Since I can't go to the KU concert, and I live in the neighboring state, which is about as bad as the time that they were IN my state and I couldn't go, could somebody answer my querie??? The security guys... do they wear anything special, like rent-a-cop outfitties, or a shirt with SECURITY or BOUNCER or GET AWAY FROM THAT THERE SETLIST, FREAK silk screened on? Or do they just look like big, mean guys in (stereotyping here) gym clothes? Thanks! ^_^ Mike "I forgot my postie number" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 21:41:48 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX Message-ID: Is this bull **** for real? If so, I've never seen this before. Mark On Fri, 2 May 1997 FPumpkins@aol.com wrote: > I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch with reality and > listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) > > Thank you > ANTI-TMBG! > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 22:00:07 -0500 From: Eric Busse Message-ID: <336AAA37.226D@athenet.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: THE STICK!!! singles, shirts I went to both Chicago shows. The stick was used at each but according to Flans, it charges to much so can only be used for one song each night. Anyone know what kind of distortion they use on that mic? On a different note, how can I get hold of State Songs and some of the older singles (I Palindrome I, The Guitar, Don't Lets Start,etc...) All the stores I go to have tons of Why Does the Sun Shine and Istanbul, but nothing else. Any info on new songs on any of the singles would also be greatly appreciated. I guess I don't really have anything to say about shirts. Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336AA771.BA1@ou.edu> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 20:48:17 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: and never hold your fire Okay guys, two words... MAIL BOMB. FPumpkins@aol.com wrote: > > I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch with reality and > listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) > > Thank you <--------------Don't you love how he's so polite! > ANTI-TMBG! Taking Aim, Heather ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705030227.VAA14605@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Patriots Of Theyness, Warriors of Glee, T-M, T-M, TMBG! Hooray! Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 22:18:45 -0500 > > Is this bull **** for real? If so, I've never seen this before. > Mark > No, they're real bands. Not real music though, but they are definitely real bands. Mike "THIS IS NOT A THREAD ADDITION" Leffel ON MY CD PLAYER: "ETC. -- the Also Years" ---------------- | > On Fri, 2 May 1997 FPumpkins@aol.com wrote: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ > > > I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch with reality and > > listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) > > > > Thank you > > ANTI-TMBG! > > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: and never hold your fire Message-ID: <19970502.232615.4774.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 23:26:16 EDT On Fri, 02 May 1997 20:48:17 -0600 Heather Tinkler writes: >Okay guys, two words... MAIL BOMB. > >FPumpkins@aol.com wrote: >> >> I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch with >reality and >> listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) >> Yes, I agree! Everyone capable, mail-bomb this asshole! He is FPumpkins@aol.com -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 23:48:34 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970502234833_-666590918@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX Kevin, Do you smoke crack??????? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336AE051.5EBF@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 23:50:57 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX No, just use entirely too much sarcasm. I just think its silly that someone thinks that sending one e-mail saying a band sucks will change someones mind. The Sarcam filled- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 00:10:12 -0400 From: NAD1@uno.cc.geneseo.edu Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG SUX Message-id: <1.5.4.32.19970503041012.0067e420@uno.cc.geneseo.edu> At 10:05 PM 5-2-1997 -0400, you wrote: Hello, MR/MS/Hermaphrodite what ever the hell you are. Have you ever thought that maybe some of us do listen to other music like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins etc. TMBG is real music. People who can't keep their opinions like yourself, and people who have no disire to listen to more than one genre of music should be eliminated from the gene pool. So next time I suggest if you don't like the group then don't bother to write to the TMBG list. We have better things to do than read your fucking shit-mail. We don't write to you telling you your music sucks. So next time I suggest you keep the ideas that come from that sesspool that you call a brain to yourself. When you get the idea of writing to the list again, I suggest you take that idea and shove it up your anal sphincter. TMBG RULES >I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch with reality and >listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) > >Thank you >ANTI-TMBG! > => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => This message was brought to you by Brian Mellem, wishing you A VERY THEY DAY! Visit his web site at http://onesun.cc.geneseo.edu/~bem99/ It isn't much yet. A Geocities page is coming soon too. They Might Be Giants+Star Wars+RPG'S+Hockey+Braveheart+Matthew Sweet=100% Fun ;) :) =) :p =P ;p => ;> :> ;) :) =) :p =P ;p => ;> :> ;) :) =) :p =P ;p => ;> :> ;) :) =) "'Cause everyone's your friend in New York City And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see But the best thing about New York City is you and me =)" -New York City as sung by TMBG <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 00:14:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705030414.AAA19883@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: TMBG: ***holes People, I know I'm not supposed to add to the thread, but I just wanted to say something. Don't you think it is just a tad bit ironic that someone who goes into mailing lists of bands they don't like, with people they don't like, just to possibly make other people mad and who obviously doesn't have anything better to do (i.e. girlfriend, friends, hobby, job) than waste our time is telling US to get a life?!!!! Sorry, but I just wanted to say that. P.S. I'm relatively new to the list, and I was wondering if Elektra ever had any plans to release an albums of all their post-Lincoln B-sides. If not, maybe we could start a petition or letter writing thing or something. Just a thought. Marty ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 00:25:57 -0400 (EDT) From: mcduffie@scsn.net (James McDuffie) Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg (ap lit) Message-ID: On Fri, 2 May 1997, Laurie Selmer wrote: > Anybody out there studying for the AP Lit exam that's gonna be on > Monday? Wanna talk Literature? I figure there's some smart people in > the tmbg fan base; maybe you're looking forward to the exam as much as > I am. > Tracy I am taking the exam monday! And I dont know when to study sense I have to go to the prom tomorrow! Maybe an all Sunday study. +*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+ James McDuffie (mcduffie@scsn.net) - http://www.scsn.net/users/mcduffie/ "Windows is, at best, a priggish, over refined interface modeled after the sissified Macintosh operating system interface." - John C. Dvorak f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgmmng +*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 3 May 97 00:25:27 PDT From: evlbison Subject: RE: TMBG: and never hold your fire Message-Id: Done and done, mail bombed his ass. (even though John and John would not condone such an act, being the ambassadors of love as they are.) Steve Okay guys, two words... MAIL BOMB. FPumpkins@aol.com wrote: > > I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch with reality and > listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) > > Thank you <--------------Don't you love how he's so polite! > ANTI-TMBG! Taking Aim, Heather "Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank" ~They Might Be Giants - Everything thats right is wrong again~ "On the run from Johnny Law... Ain't no trip to Cleveland" ~Dignan - Bottle Rocket~ "He was thrown head over heels into the traffic coming on, but then all is fair in love" ~Ben Folds Five~ "Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun. ~Ash - Army of Darkenss~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336AC0F2.5807@BlazeNet.net> Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 00:37:06 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: and never hold your fire evlbison wrote: > > Done and done, mail bombed his ass. (even though John and > John would not condone such an act, being the ambassadors of > love as they are.) > > Steve > > Okay guys, two words... MAIL BOMB. > > FPumpkins@aol.com wrote: > > > > I hate TMBG. They bite. You people should get i ntouch > with reality and > > listen to some REAL music (TOOL, METALLICA, ETC) > > > > Thank you <--------------Don't you love how he's so > polite! > > ANTI-TMBG! > > Taking Aim, > > Heather > > "Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank" > ~They Might Be Giants - Everything thats right is wrong > again~ > > "On the run from Johnny Law... Ain't no trip to Cleveland" > ~Dignan - Bottle Rocket~ > > "He was thrown head over heels into the traffic coming on, > but then all is fair in love" > ~Ben Folds Five~ > > "Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun. > ~Ash - Army of Darkenss~ Thank You. We're all proud. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 23:51:34 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Enter Sandman Message-ID: > (P.S. Who else thinks TMBG could put a cool-ass spin on a cover of "Enter > Sandman"?) Actually, that would be pretty cool. But the Mighty Mighty Bosstones beat the Ambassadors of Love to the punch. On the single for "Where'd You Go?", (which I owned long before the movie Clueless, BTW), they do a cover of "Enter Sandman", along with one for "Sweet Emotion." I hate Metallica and Aerosmith, but the covers are cool. Sorry for the random thought...at least I'm not responding to that stupid TMBG sux thing. It's pointless, folks (although the mail bomb is a nice touch). See ya. Oh, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones have also done covers of Minor Threat, Bob Marley, and other bands as well. Okay, I'm leaving now. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Our only weapon is a song..." --MMB ------------------------------ From: Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 0:39:07 CST Subject: TMBG: tmbg sux? Message-ID: <4A7A7187556@athena.valpo.edu> in defense of mr. metallica, i have to say that his astounding essay on the quality of the twin quasars of rock has elevated my sense of musical appreciation to a whole new level and i have torn off my "world tour 2040" tee and flushed all my tmbg discs down the toilet, replacing them with the far superior sounds of marylin manson. i'm sorry, that was wrong to say. even dripping with sarcasm, i find it did commit some minor sin against tmbg. oh well. i redeemed myself by sending two scathing messages to him. is he even a listie, or is he just trying to piss us off? what i really wanna know is, if people have had trouble accessing the unofficial tmbg page (www.tmbg.org). my mac crashes almost every time the page loads up. of course it occasionally crashes when i try and download a song from tmbg.com, and sometimes it shuts down for the hell of it. but i was curious if it had something to do with the page or is it my computer. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 22:48:06 -0700 (PDT) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg sux? Message-ID: > i'm sorry, that was wrong to say. even dripping with sarcasm, i find it > did commit some minor sin against tmbg. oh well. i redeemed myself by > sending two scathing messages to him. is he even a listie, or is he just > trying to piss us off? what i really wanna know is, if people have had > trouble accessing the unofficial tmbg page (www.tmbg.org). my mac crashes > almost every time the page loads up. of course it occasionally crashes > when i try and download a song from tmbg.com, and sometimes it shuts down > for the hell of it. but i was curious if it had something to do with the > page or is it my computer. It's probably Netscape. It's a very naughty program on the Macintosh. If you update to System 7.6.1, those awful system locks and crashes will be a thing of the past. It just closes the program during a crash-- keeps the system up. :) Very nice. | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 00:53:02 -0500 (CDT) From: Uncle Walter Subject: Re: TMBG: Security 'muscle' Message-Id: Actually, the security people are simply the people on the Student Union Activities committee and we wear silk screen shirts with Day on the Hill on it. On Fri, 2 May 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: > > > Hey there concert goers! Since I can't go to the > KU concert, and I live in the neighboring state, which is > about as bad as the time that they were IN my state > and I couldn't go, could somebody answer my querie??? > > The security guys... do they wear anything special, like > rent-a-cop outfitties, or a shirt with SECURITY or BOUNCER > or GET AWAY FROM THAT THERE SETLIST, FREAK > silk screened on? Or do they just look like big, mean guys > in (stereotyping here) gym clothes? > > Thanks! ^_^ > > Mike "I forgot my postie number" Leffel > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-122 ******************************