Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-124 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 124 Monday, 5 May 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: covers TMBG: May 2nd show in Columbia MO complete with a neat stick story!! Re: TMBG: Re: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) TMBG: Columbia show tape TMBG: Columbia show TMBG: Singles And Airplay (Was: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) Re: TMBG: Questions TMBG: fingertips? Re: TMBG: covers Re: TMBG: Re: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) Re: TMBG: fingertips? TMBG: fingertips (&DAS) TMBG: tmbg: story Re: TMBG: covers TMBG: New sounds! Re: TMBG: fingertips (&DAS) Re: TMBG: fingertips? TMBG: Toddler Hiway "cover" on WWW (none) Re: TMBG: Re: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) Re: TMBG: New Mono Puff Hello Discs... TMBG: New Dial-A-Song Online stuff- Cool! TMBG: Weird things TMBG: RE: my long trip and the KU SHOW!!!! =) TMBG: My amazing KU experience (long) Re: TMBG: New Mono Puff Hello Discs... Re: TMBG: Re: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) TMBG: sigh... yet another OMLT TMBG: whoa Re: TMBG: whoa TMBG: KU SHOW!!! ---> if you went, read this NOW! TMBG: set lists TMBG: certain people Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970504003358.00697ec0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 00:34:29 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: covers At 08:30 PM 5/3/97 EDT, you wrote: >For some reason, everytime I heard Should i Stay or Should I Go Now by the >Clash, I could easily picture in my head TMBGs playing that on accordian. If you're interested in hearing a polka version of that, "Weird Al" has it in one of his polka medleys...IIRC, it's the one from "Weird Al" in 3-D? TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Tmbgneat@aol.com Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 01:37:15 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970504013714_146926212@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: May 2nd show in Columbia MO complete with a neat stick story!! well...for anyone who wants to know about the show may 2nd read on....sorry for the late reply for i was in a car accident and it was hard to type with bandaids on your fingers...as hard as i tried i could not get a set list but i do know the songs they played! Critic intro NY Polk...cannon Particle Twistin Spy...stayin alive...broom Guitar.....they made it really long....twas neato! Replacements Pet Name istanbul Shoe horn Spider dig my grave turn around lie still little bottle.....stick! SEXXY Spiraling Sun Where eyes older No one knows my plan James ensor Snail shell Actual Size Got Lost --------------------- Angel.....drum machine XTC Exquisit.....puppets! ------------------------ Birdhouse till head.....john tore off his guitar strings these arent in the right order.....but it still was a really neat show....I got there an hour before the doors opened and waited......when i finally got there it was easy to get near the front and after a while i manages to get right on the rail on the left stage right were flansburg was....gravel pit open...they wernt too bad..but not all that great....they They came out...YAY!.....the croud was kinda good where i was but behind me people were croud surfing....gah....even during the begining of spiralling shape....soon the stick came out!....and when the song was over (i have the worst memory and dont remember what exactly what he said) but he brought the stick right over the audience and it came down right infront of me!....flans said "speak into the stick sir!".....in total shock...like a buffoon all i could say was....HI!.....then flans...."oooh im sorry its off".....then during about the middle of the show flans brought out a big fan and pointed it almost directly at me!....then comes along the security person and sits right infront of it....poop head....while flans was singing pet name i seen him keep on looking at that security person....i had a strange feeling what was going to happen....and it did....right in the middle of the song "can you get up your blocking the fan".....aaw yeah...you go john!...wheee!..... I cant remember any other neat things besides the whole show was great! i cant wait till their next tour! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 00:12:26 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) Message-ID: On Sat, 3 May 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > On 2 May 1997 04:17:32 GMT pancake@mail.utexas.edu (The Fierce Pancake) > writes: > >In article <5jue60$spk$1@infoserver.bgsu.edu>, joshw@bgnet.bgsu.edu > >says... > >>It's sad to see all the anti-Unrelated Thing talk. :( It's one of my > >>fave songs from John Henry. But then again, noone else here seems to > >like > >>Your Own Worst Enemy either and it's in my top 5 of all songs.. > >everything > >>is about preference. > > > >Wow, people don't like Enemy? By far that is my favorite song off > >Factory > >Showroom. I don't think there's much consensus amongst TMBG fans > >except they > >all like Ana Ng a whole lot. > > > >Let's see what I think are weak songs: XTC vs. Adam Ant, SEXXY, > >Absolutely > >Bill's Mood, Window... but there's nothing they've done that I *hate* > >and > >would always skip. > > > >SEXXY was a poor choice of a single, although I hear it was a big hit > >in some > >European country. Go figure. > > The song I can't stand is Sapphire Bullets. It is the only They song I > skip. I thought SEXXY was pretty good. > Josh Nielsen SEXXY is marvelous. I only skip You'll Miss Me, She Was A Hotel Detective (blasphemy! (notice, no parenthesis)), and maybe Santa's Beard. Sapphire Bullets is awesome, and so is Window! Well, there's my two cents. Sorry for quoting the whole message. Mark ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 01:23:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970504012350_810506377@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Columbia show tape I went to Columbia, MO last night and it was great. I recorded it if anyone is interested in trading. Just e-mail me a list of what you've got and we can trade. ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 01:54:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970504015441_810501860@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Columbia show Here's the setlist: [Critic Intro] NYC /SPY POLK GARAGE INTRO PARTICLE SHOE ACTUAL PET SPIDER latin/NO ONE /TWIST /GTR MILITARY INTRO ISTANBUL LIE TURN ARND WHERE TIL SEXXY --------------------------------- SUN ANGEL /DIG XTC ENSOR(MORE /EXQ DUBASTIC!) BIRD SPIRAL ---------------------------------- SNAIL LOST (WAVE) /REPLACE OLDER Before they came out for They Got Lost the audience could only here the guitar being played and some weird noise and then They came out and it was Linnell holding some kind of fazer toy against Flansburgh's guitar, he also tryed to use the toy for the instrumental bridge but I think it broke. Flansburgh mixed up two verses in XTC vs. Adam Ant. So the song ended with Flansburgh singing "She can't make up her mind" and Linnell was kind of laughing and came in singing along in a robotic voice. Then Flans sang Bow Wow Wow realizing that he screwed up. They messed up Spider too. Flans yelled for the moshing portion of the audience to cool it in the middle of the slow version of James Ensor. They had the stick,confetti canon, Linnell said "We have an eplosive device that will kill all of you" and puppetheads too. The show was overall very interesting. ------------------------------ From: LeviAdams@aol.com Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 03:06:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970504030645_-198503689@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Singles And Airplay (Was: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) i agree about s-e-x-x-y... that song just doesn't sound like a "radio track"... at least till my head falls off would've had a bit more of a chance of getting airplay.... (tmbg getting airplay.. isn't that a stretch.. i feel lucky that i actually heard sleeping in flowers on the radio.. *twice*.. once was during a weekly program the radio station did, playing all new music, including stuff that normally wouldn't be likely to get played, and then i heard it again the next day...) p.s. i'm sad to see xtc vs. adam ant on there.. i've been absolutely *in love* with that song lately.. maybe it's just because i dig string sections so much.. ------------------------------ From: "Jeremy L. Skrenes" Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 02:16:02 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions Message-ID: <4C15911503A@athena.valpo.edu> huh, i never really liked the world's address that much, maybe cause i heard the joshua fried remix first and liked that more. i just dig those parodying vocal fills like "someone in the club tonight has stolen my ideas," and "feel free to wave your hands at any moment," and how the "paging mr. saxophone" fill never comes where you expect it to. compared to the warren rigg mix of sexxy, i don't care for that one as much. rigg forgot he was remixing an old song and left out a lot of the melodic bassline of the song. whereas fried left pretty much the entire tune of "world's address" well intact. i think he left out one verse which is dissappointing, but overall it was a good remix job. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 FFrom owner-tmbg-list Sun May 4 05:11:08 1997 Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id FAA21775 for owner-tmbg-list; Sun, 4 May 1997 05:11:07 -0400 Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 05:11:07 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-list Message-Id: <199705040911.FAA21775@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: owner-tmbg-list Subject: BOUNCE tmbg-list: Approval required >From tmbg-list-owner Sun May 4 05:11:01 1997 Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id FAA21661 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Sun, 4 May 1997 05:02:30 -0400 Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: 4 May 1997 09:02:29 GMT From: "George Gorely" Message-ID: <01bc5869$bd9b1940$ae1a93cf@alpha> Organization: GYORGY Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) Weak songs: Unrelated Thing, You'll Miss Me, I should be allowed to think, SEXXY, Dirt Bike I think the following songs to be some of their best unrecognized works: Your own worst Enemy, Where your Eyes don't go, Window?, The Bells are ringing, Spiraling Shape. Now my dream. I had this dream where TMBG was playing this concert in my town, and my freind and I were going to see it. But when we got there, we discovered that They were sick and wouldn't be playing tonight. We then, for some reason, decided to dress up as them and play so as not to disappoint all of the fans. We're both musicians, my freind and I, so I guess that's where I got that I, being a keyboard player, would play Linnel, and my freind, the guitar player would be Flansburgh. We got up there, and were going to start with Your Own Worst Enemy, but we weren't quite sure on the chords. We kept trying to figure them out and explain to each other, but the croud was getting restless. Pretty soon they figured out that it wasn't TMBG on the stage, and started booing us. Then a security guard came and dragged us off stage and into the back and told us to leave. But we didn't. We started running back and forth so the gurad would have to chase us. We made sure to run fast and maintain distance from each other so that the guard couldn't catch us. Then my alarm sounded and I had to go to school, at which that very day I heard The Famous Polka played on the school radio. Coincidence? Probably, considering that I had just gone to a TMBG concert the night before and fell asleep that night listening to Them. Now, had it been Your Own Worst Enemy played on the radio, that might have meant something... rom MAILER-DAEMON Sun May 4 05:11:09 1997 Return-Path: MAILER-DAEMON Received: from localhost (localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with internal id FAA21767; Sun, 4 May 1997 05:11:08 -0400 Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 05:11:08 -0400 From: Mail Delivery Subsystem Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1 Message-Id: <199705040911.FAA21767@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: tmbg-list-owner Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) The original message was received at Sun, 4 May 1997 05:02:30 -0400 from news@localhost ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'" (expanded from: tmbg-list@tmbg.org) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 554 "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'"... unknown mailer error 1 ----- Original message follows ----- Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id FAA21661 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Sun, 4 May 1997 05:02:30 -0400 Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: 4 May 1997 09:02:29 GMT From: "George Gorely" Message-ID: <01bc5869$bd9b1940$ae1a93cf@alpha> Organization: GYORGY Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) Weak songs: Unrelated Thing, You'll Miss Me, I should be allowed to think, SEXXY, Dirt Bike I think the following songs to be some of their best unrecognized works: Your own worst Enemy, Where your Eyes don't go, Window?, The Bells are ringing, Spiraling Shape. Now my dream. I had this dream where TMBG was playing this concert in my town, and my freind and I were going to see it. But when we got there, we discovered that They were sick and wouldn't be playing tonight. We then, for some reason, decided to dress up as them and play so as not to disappoint all of the fans. We're both musicians, my freind and I, so I guess that's where I got that I, being a keyboard player, would play Linnel, and my freind, the guitar player would be Flansburgh. We got up there, and were going to start with Your Own Worst Enemy, but we weren't quite sure on the chords. We kept trying to figure them out and explain to each other, but the croud was getting restless. Pretty soon they figured out that it wasn't TMBG on the stage, and started booing us. Then a security guard came and dragged us off stage and into the back and told us to leave. But we didn't. We started running back and forth so the gurad would have to chase us. We made sure to run fast and maintain distance from each other so that the guard couldn't catch us. Then my alarm sounded and I had to go to school, at which that very day I heard The Famous Polka played on the school radio. Coincidence? Probably, considering that I had just gone to a TMBG concert the night before and fell asleep that night listening to Them. Now, had it been Your Own Worst Enemy played on the radio, that might have meant something... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 03:22:29 -0400 (EDT) From: taileen Subject: TMBG: fingertips? Message-ID: I heard fingertips on the radio today and I was really excited for a second... until I realized they had said, "and we promise you'll never have to listen to this to get this " Needless to say that radio station is no longer on my sister's memory button #5 in her car. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 09:19:56 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: TMBG: covers Message-Id: On Sun, 4 May 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > At 08:30 PM 5/3/97 EDT, you wrote: > >For some reason, everytime I heard Should i Stay or Should I Go Now by the > >Clash, I could easily picture in my head TMBGs playing that on accordian. > on a similar note, at an in-store a couple of years ago, They played "(I Wanna Be) Sedated" at it rocked. They were all smiley (especially Brian D) and seemed to like the song a lot. ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* my name is jillian i study the earth i need a job woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 10:49:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) Message-ID: > > > > > >Let's see what I think are weak songs: XTC vs. Adam Ant, SEXXY, > > >Absolutely > > >Bill's Mood, Window... but there's nothing they've done that I *hate* > > >and > > >would always skip. > > > Oddly enough, I almost always skip the first song on any given CD. SEXXY, Dig My Grave, Theme from Flood, and even many non-They discs. I nearly always skip the extended X-Files theme on that soundtrack, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness on that cd, and many others that I can't think of at the moment. The only ones I don't skip are my Bob Dylan and 10,000 Maniacs CDs, and occasionally Beatles Live at the BBC. And, of course the Thin Lizzy song that happens to be the first on the tape my friend Colin made for me. (Hi Nick, if you're on the list again...) -Elitza really unhappy about the decreased mail volume but appreciating the concentrated They in each message :T ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336CB436.647E@BlazeNet.net> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 12:07:18 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: fingertips? taileen wrote: > > I heard fingertips on the radio today and I was really excited for a > second... > until I realized they had said, "and we promise you'll never have to > listen to this to get this band like that>" that's horrible. What station was it? ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 12:32:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970504123238_-366269816@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: fingertips (&DAS) taileen wrote: > > I heard fingertips on the radio today and I was really excited for a > second... > until I realized they had said, "and we promise you'll never have to > listen to this to get this band like that For me, I'd rather hear Fingertips, even if in a neg. conotation (sp?), than not hear it at all. I am deprived of TMBG-Radio. In my opinion, hearing it is better than not, no matter the situation. 2) Is Maine still the song on DAS? I don't feel like calling (trying to at least) if that's still there. Joel ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: tmbg: story Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 13:00:29 EST Message-Id: <199705041700.5382200@cyberia.com> Ok.. here's a pretty funny (and short story) I was listening to the kitten intro one day when my non tmbg fan friend came down. It was the first time he heard the kitten intro, and he said to me "what, do these guys worship satan." Immediatly after that John Flansburg starts saying, "No, No! They Might Be Giants are not Satanist." It was so funny andthe timing was perfect. Its as if John and John were listening to our conversation!!!!! Steve ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705041703.MAA33220@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 11:56:41 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: covers but sedated is by the ramones, not the clash! oh, and i have heard them do both sedated and stay or go. thank god for the stumpbox!!! geoff (is really tired and is listening to paula cole right now) mc At 09:19 AM 5/4/97 -0500, you wrote: >On Sun, 4 May 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > >> At 08:30 PM 5/3/97 EDT, you wrote: >> >For some reason, everytime I heard Should i Stay or Should I Go Now by the >> >Clash, I could easily picture in my head TMBGs playing that on accordian. >> >on a similar note, at an in-store a couple of years ago, They played "(I >Wanna Be) Sedated" at it rocked. They were all smiley (especially Brian D) >and seemed to like the song a lot. > >^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* > my name is jillian i study the earth > i need a job > woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu > http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb >^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970504134454.00722e90@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 13:45:47 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: TMBG: New sounds! Hey all, Just wanted wanted to point out that the dial/sound directory on tmbg.com has some new sounds in there. I don't know exactly what they are yet (still downloading them) but check it out. =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 14:18:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: fingertips (&DAS) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 4-May-97 TMBG: fingertips (&DAS) by Yoel97@aol.com > 2) Is Maine still the song on DAS? I don't feel like calling (trying to at > least) if that's still there. No, I heard Rat Patrol the other day... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 14:51:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Dan Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: fingertips? Message-ID: > until I realized they had said, "and we promise you'll never have to > listen to this to get this band like that>" Yes, I think I posted about the same commercial a few months back. It was some station in mid-Florida. I believe the Fingertip was "I hear the wind blow." While that commercial certainly reflects poorly on the radio station, a friend of mine theorized that the DJ who created that commercial may have been a fan, knowing that this would be the only way to get a Fingertip on a mainstream radio station. It's probably not true, but it's nice to think of it that way :) -Dan p.s. moderation is good ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705042159.RAA04548@sumter.awod.com> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 17:58:29 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Toddler Hiway "cover" on WWW From: ctyner@awod.com (Adam Tyner) Organization: http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ I got bored today and threw together a copy of Toddler Hiway... I made a web page for my version of the song at: http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~ctyner/Bereft/TH/ (note the case) I'm really interested in hearing what all of you think...heck, if a lot of you like it, I'll submit it for the TMBG tribute album. :-> TTYL, -Adam -- /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 17:02:34 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705042102.RAA29090@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) All, One last post, and I'll stop bothering you. I'm new to the list, and I don't know if anyone has interpreted it this way before (I'm sure they have), but am I the only one that thinks "The Bells are Ringing" is about religious brainwashing? Any thoughts? Marty ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 16:49:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705042049.QAA28046@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) >> >>SEXXY was a poor choice of a single, although I hear it was a big hit >>in some >>European country. Go figure. Yeah, why didn't they do Spiraling Shape, Until my Head Falls off, or Enemy? Marty ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 16:48:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970504164853_1685850586@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: New Mono Puff Hello Discs... >anyone out there have an interp on the song >"unsupervised, i hit my head?" after countless listenings, i think >it may be about a little kid who is left unsupervised by his parents, >is playing superhero with his friends, gets distracted by his friend >joe, hits his head, and loses his imaginary superpowers. maybe a >chronological continuation of "sensurround?" The bit about SenSurround I don't think is terribly likely as SenSurround was written by Linnell...the bit about imaginary friends, well, that would be a brilliant coincidence if the next Mono Puff album is indeed to be called "Imaginary Friend". and finally, before they played it on All Things Considered last July, Flans said that it was about how much worse a person he became when he stopped drinking coffee, which I thought was pretty cool. moose I swear to God, Guitar Was the Case sounds uncannily like part of the Polovetzian Dances, by Borodin... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 15:01:17 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: New Dial-A-Song Online stuff- Cool! Message-ID: I don't know how much you kids keep up on the newsgroup, but recently someone posted that the DAS Online stuff has been updated, and yea, verily, it hath. Lemme just say how much more I adore this band when they do nice stuff for us. First of all, I don't think a lot of what's put in the main directory makes it to the actual DAS Online page for a while, so I went to the directory and heard Triptophane for the very first time. I love this song, the piano is insane! I also got to hear again an old favourite, Rat Patrol. Also added recently are some Monopuff stuff, mostly, "Don't Bother the Spaceman," and some others that I didn't load and can't remember. I wonder, though, if Monopuff stuff makes it to DAS, does that mean that maybe Flans wrote some of these songs, intending them for TMBG, but they got sidelined and made it to Monopuff instead? I also like to see what they call the DAS songs. For instance, a song called "wreck.wav" is on there, and it turned out to be "Don't Make Me Kill You Again," that other half of Ondine. That's what we call it, I wonder what they call it. Also something called swing.wav, I'm assuming that its "Swing is a Word (6 feet down)". A new song, breeze.wav, is super cool as well- I didn't really understand it, but I hope it makes it onto Thing because it is way super fly. I also downloaded Maine for fun. I have seen the Maine liscense plate, "Vacationland" they call themselves. Hee hee, everytime I see that plate, all I can think of, naturally, is "Relaxing on its hands and knees, relaxing on its face, reclining in the beartrap of its tender warm embrace!" And then the rest of the song. I don't think they should quote it in their travel brochure, you think? "Maine! It'll crush your evil heart!" Hee hee... ________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <________ *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 17:46:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: Weird things Message-ID: Hey all-- I was at the campus radio station last night (did a show from 11:00 to 12:30 in the morning) and I was just glancing around the stacks looking for stuff to play. I realized that our radio station doesn't have any TMBG at all! I even looked for Mono Puff, and we didn't even have that! I mean, our radio station (KWUR, from the campus of Washington Univ. in St. Louis) does come across as an "alternative" radio station (that is, that we play what you won't hear on the commercial radio stations...it's a rule, actually), but even then, the radio stations in St. Louis don't exactly play TMBG all the time. In fact, we have the new Ben Folds Five in our new release bin, and even though it's played on KPNT, we are allowed to play it. What's up with this? Why do I have to take my own CDs in there to broadcast TMBG to the masses? Oh well, weird story... I'll go away now. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I'm sure back home they think I've lost my mind." --Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: RE: my long trip and the KU SHOW!!!! =) Message-ID: <19970504.165542.9222.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 18:56:39 EDT hey all..... i just got back home from the KU show... and feel that i will share my experiences and add on to jillians.... first off.... i left DENVER early friday morning and got to LAwrence, KS somewhere in the vicinity of 7-8 hours later, going, on average abotu 90mph (yes, i do love radar detectors...) anyways, saturday morning i chilled around the campus and must say that it's pretty nice! we got there around 11 or so and watched all the other bands and i have to say the chebella and the glitter kicks or whatever they are, suck. here is the REVISED SET LIST 9as i still have it written on my arm... CRITIC INTRO NYC POLK *with the canon* /SEXXY ACTUAL PARTICLE SLEEP LIE *complete with the Stick!!!* BIRD /SUN OLDER SPY (WITH PART OF SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER'S "STAYIN ALIVE" in there) as well as linnell successfully throwing the whole band off (if you've ever seen this live you know what i'm talking about...) ---> broom PET ISTANBUL latin NO ONE /GTR SHOE (DAN DIDN"T EVEN MESS UP!!! WOOHOO!!!!) SPIDER /SNAIL TIL DIG -------- COUNTER *crossed out and EXQ written in* TWIST >okay, so picture a huge hill (i'd say boardering on a mountain, but i'm in >kansas, so i won't go that far) and a beautifully sunny day. the hill was >packed (turnout was estimated at 8,000) and at one point, ALL DOING THE >CONGA!!! flans said, everyone except for all of us in the front (I WAS FRONT ROW DEAD CENTER!!!! =) I TOO, GOT ABOUT 20 PICTURES!!!) flans said something along the lines of how this was definately the biggest audience they had ever had!! keep reading... >i took 24 pictures, and since it was outside in the afternoon, i'm >expecting them to be winners. i'll letcha'll know how they come out. NOW FOR AFTER THE SHOW WHEN I GOT TO TALK TO THEM!!!! we went and waited outside of 'the gravel pits' tour bus where J&J were when alogn comes graham... i asked him to give one of the johns the sterling silver ring i made that says "THEY" on it along with a letter.... anyways, then graham comes back out of the bus with dan and they signed my THEY hat (not the TMBG one which everyone and their mother had) and dan signed the PORTION OF A DRUM STICK i begged the security guard to grab for me because it fell right in front of me but on the other side fo the barricade.... anywasy, we waited a little bit longer until a lot of people had left and there wer just about 8 of us left over by the bus and FLANS came out and I GOT IN A PICTURE WITH HIM!!!! (definately the highlight of the concert for me) then out came linnell and get this: LINNELL WEARS GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i also got the program signed by flans, dan, and graham. oh yeah... when flans said that they just got their stuff stolen and that we all needed to buy shirts to help them pay for it i yelled out "You say that at every concert" and Linnell looked at me, smiled and then laughed!!! =) aaah, life is good. i met a few people after the show unfortunately i couldn't really tlak cuz i lost my voice from yelling sooo much but it was kewl... all you that went PLEASE e-mail me!!! =) we normally sing in a vocal frequency range well above the audible range of your puny little earth ears but i tell you something... you oughta bring your dogs and cats out here cuz they would love this show... love, JOrdaN (TMBgirl) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336D1EB4.354@ou.edu> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 17:41:40 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: My amazing KU experience (long) ILOVEMARTHASTEWART wrote: > > wooooweee. it's 7:13pm and i'm home from one of the most grueling yet > fantastically Giant concerts i've been to. first, the set list (that > i obtained only after giving the bouncer my number...ouch!) You got a set list? We tried, but they were all "spoken for" > i think those are all my thoughts on the show. i met Jamal (nice to meet > you!) but didn't hook up with anyone else...despite my yelling "list" into > the croud that at times was trying to hurt me! Sorry about the crowd! We must have just missed you!! We were in the front on Linnell's side behind and next to this crazy stoned looking girl who flapped her arms like a chicken. I'm hoping that wasn't anyone here. (We were myself- shoulder length blond hair and bangs wearing blue overalls, long sleeved black shirt and a black cardigan tied..my boyfriend who joined me in the front after the conga line.. tired looking boy with short brown hair and a Garbage Tour '96 shirt, and Anastasia.. coffee cup shirt and black hat..) I met some Iowa guys but I don't remember names... David? and a lot of guys whose names started with a J? At the beginning of the encore the only people hindering our perfect view left and we got very front seats!!! Wow! But little did I know that wouldn't be the coolest thing to happen to me that day... (foreshadowing?) The show WAS absolutely Phenomenal, but I'm going to tell you the story of what happened to us AFTER the concert...... After the concert Anastasia went to look for the bus while Richard and I went to get a sticker for Mop (my car). Afterwards we hung on the hill for a few minutes to wait for Staci.. This guy that had to pick up trash asked me what time it was.. it was 6:40.. he looked distressed so I asked him if he had to be somewhere and he said yes... I asked him if he wanted help and he looked really surprised and said,"What? No! Go frolic!" Noone has ever told me to frolic before, so I picked up some trash for him. Anyways, we met up with Anastasia and she spotted Graham talking to the shirt guy, so we waited and asked for an autograph.. This is one of the times I interject and tell everyone how nice and underappreciated Graham is. We all love the Johns, but they aren't the whole band anymore. Graham signed our papers and we asked him to come to Texas or Oklahoma. He asked where we came from and we said Okla. City, which (with stops and getting lost) turned out to be a little over 6 hour drive that day. He said that that was longer than they took, and where were we staying? We said we were going to try and crash somewhere in Lawrence and leave tomorrow. AMAZING PART!!!!! Graham then said..You know, we are leaving on the bus around 1am, but we have rooms at the Hampton that I don't think we're doing anything else with.. would you guys like to have them? (We say that would be great.. (duh) ) He gives us his room number and tells us to call around 11, or meet him in the parking lot at 1. We leave shocked. Graham Maby just offered us his hotel room! So the problem now is what are we going to do until 1? We try to find a room, only all in Lawrence is gone! By this time, poor Richard (not even a fan major fan.. but he has and likes JH) is totally exausted and so we make a bed by folding my seats down. This doesn't work, so we eat dinner. (gross) and head to Ottawa to find a room for Richard to sleep. We leave him there and go back to Lawrence... blah blah blah.. wait, call.. call.. call...Show up at 1am.. I am soooooo tired. We finally go to the entrance and wait. Graham comes and says "Hey guys! I am really sorry, but the manager gave our rooms to Gravel Pit! This doesn't mess up your plans, does it? I really hope not.. (more profuse apologies) then he looks at me and says," Oh, and poor Heather, she looks sooo tired!!" So we went and banged on Richard's door in Ottawa and then left and came home.. I'll let Staci fill in any gaps I missed, but all in all it was amazing. fun and happiness to all, Heather www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/8982 ------------------------------ From: Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 18:55:34 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: New Mono Puff Hello Discs... Message-ID: <4D1FC95621C@athena.valpo.edu> i hadn't heard any input on mono puff interps, so i could be wrong. that and if john himself explained it, i suppose he's right. it makes sense though, never thought of "my friend joe" as a cup of coffee. re: sexxy single, i think it's a good song for a single, though not entirely representative of tmbg and therefore maybe not a good single for them. someone said flood is the best album? idunno, it is my least fav album, just cause everybody sings along to it. and all the songs that were recently listed as ones people skip, are all my favorites. go figure. on another note, who is dr. kildare? jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 FFrom owner-tmbg-list Sun May 4 20:18:54 1997 Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id UAA15454 for owner-tmbg-list; Sun, 4 May 1997 20:18:52 -0400 Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 20:18:52 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-list Message-Id: <199705050018.UAA15454@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: owner-tmbg-list Subject: BOUNCE tmbg-list: Approval required >From tmbg-list-owner Sun May 4 20:18:41 1997 Received: from m10.boston.juno.com (m10.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.195]) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with ESMTP id UAA15436 for ; Sun, 4 May 1997 20:18:40 -0400 Received: (from jnielsen69@juno.com) by m10.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id UqU12657; Sun, 04 May 1997 20:18:22 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 17:16:15 PST Subject: Re: Message-ID: <19970504.171752.4862.7.jnielsen69@juno.com> References: <199705042102.RAA29090@sumter.awod.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.00 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-1,3-12 From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I hope not. Josh Nielsen On Sun, 4 May 1997 17:02:34 -0400 (EDT) mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) writes: >All, > One last post, and I'll stop bothering you. I'm new to the list, >and I >don't know if anyone has interpreted it this way before (I'm sure they >have), but am I the only one that thinks "The Bells are Ringing" is >about >religious brainwashing? Any thoughts? >Marty rom owner-tmbg-list Sun May 4 20:18:55 1997 Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id UAA15456 for owner-tmbg-list; Sun, 4 May 1997 20:18:54 -0400 Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 20:18:54 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-list Message-Id: <199705050018.UAA15456@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: owner-tmbg-list Subject: BOUNCE tmbg-list: Approval required >From tmbg-list-owner Sun May 4 20:18:43 1997 Received: from m10.boston.juno.com (m10.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.195]) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with ESMTP id UAA15438 for ; Sun, 4 May 1997 20:18:42 -0400 Received: (from jnielsen69@juno.com) by m10.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id UqS12657; Sun, 04 May 1997 20:18:22 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 17:10:05 PST Subject: Re: Dial-A-Song Updated! Message-ID: <19970504.171752.4862.5.jnielsen69@juno.com> References: <336a5d67.2059687@news.one.net> <336cd6bf.4751580@news.ucdavis.edu> X-Mailer: Juno 1.00 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 2-4,6-11 From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I'm not sure about the others, but I would think "wreck" would be the part on Fingertips where they sing "come on and wreck my car". I could be wrong. Josh Nielsen On Sun, 04 May 1997 18:36:33 GMT No_Spam_ana.ng@tmbg.org (Nicole the Wonder Nerd) writes: >I'm confuzled--what in the world are "brother" "breeze" and "wreck" >abbreviations for? I pride myself on extensive knowledge of TMBG >songs, yet I cannot identify these. > >--nicole the wonder nerd ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 20:37:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flood=BEST TMBG CD!!!) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 4-May-97 Re: TMBG: Re: Flood=BEST TM.. by Marty Tomlinson@awod.com > Yeah, why didn't they do Spiraling Shape, Until my Head Falls off, or Enemy? The only one I think would be good as a single would be TMHFO. I think they chose S-E-X-X-Y because of the potential commercial appeal of a song with SEX in it. Your Own Worst Enemy, while a very good song, would make a lousy single. It's one of TMBG's darker songs, and the pace is a bit too slow to make a good commercial single. Same for Spiraling Shape. Till My Head Falls Off would make a good single - I think generally any song where you say "This would make a good concert/album opener" would make a decent single. I think James K. Polk would have been a good single, but would have done terribly commercially. (about the same as Why Does the Sun Shine?) ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 20:51:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970504205146_674522467@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: sigh... yet another OMLT Here's a short reminder: if your address has changed (or will be changing soon) since the OMLT order you sent me, please send me your new address. Thanks to those who have already done so. Please do not ask when or where to send your checks because I don't know yet. But please have faith. This project has had to sit on the back burner for a while, as I am dealing with SATs, SAT IIs, APs, and all sorts of end-of-school projects right now. But you *will* get your OMLT. --Christy ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: whoa Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 21:03:20 EST Message-Id: <199705050103.5596300@cyberia.com> I go to the wall with you people(I mean, you are TMBG fans) but your own worst enemy has to by the twin quazars worst song!!!!!!!! Steve ------------------------------ From: Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1904 9:47:01 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: whoa Message-ID: <4D490660020@athena.valpo.edu> >I go to the wall with you people(I mean, you are TMBG fans) but your own >worst enemy has to by the twin quazars worst song!!!!!!!! > > Steve > i kinda like yowe. (your own worst enemy). i mean, it doesn't have commercial appeal, but the stanza about drinking is pretty accurate. it starts with "full bottle in front of me," and is pretty in synch with the music. but as it continues, it gets less in synch with the rhythm, where finally "i get paid....in the brain," is disorientingly unaligned with the rhythm. it's a pretty good representation of the lack of coherence when drunk. agreed, it's not their best song, but it does have its strong points. of course, each person here must have their own favorite and least favorite songs, and by some unwritten law, none of them can be the same. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: KU SHOW!!! ---> if you went, read this NOW! Message-ID: <19970504.204023.10502.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 22:41:27 EDT i talked to someone on the list after teh show that said they dubbed the show... grrr.... you never actually said who you were... pleeeeease e-mail me ASAP!!! TMBgirl@juno.com OR if you are that dude from texas. i need to talk to your friend (i think he was your friend.... you were talking to him, i dunno...) OR if you are one of the guys that i gave the phone # that hte guy with Them gave me... pleeeeease i'm desperate here!!! All these listies, so few names.... we normally sing in a vocal frequency range well above the audible range of your puny little earth ears but i tell you something... you oughta bring your dogs and cats out here cuz they would love this show... JOrdaN ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: set lists Message-ID: <19970504.225011.4830.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 22:49:47 EDT Hey everyone, I need the set lists for the following shows: 1. December 4 1996 at the Agora in Cleveland. 2. February 19 1997 at Eastern Michigan University. If any of you has these and would e-mail them to me privately I would be very happy. Thanx! -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970504230443.00f92d60@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 23:04:43 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: certain people have been in my head recently.... I can't stop humming that tune and I've never really heard the song, just a garbled DAS RA version and another garbled bootleg version..... -ec ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-124 ******************************