Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-125 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 125 Tuesday, 6 May 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: whoa TMBG: TMBG TMBG: Kansas Show TMBG: DAS TMBG: Album endings Re: TMBG: My amazing KU experience (long) TMBG: Graham Maby Is A GOD!!(My KU Experience) Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? Re: TMBG: whoa Re: TMBG: Album endings Re: TMBG: fingertips? Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? TMBG: solo project crossovers Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? TMBG: stick TMBG: meow, i am a kat TMBG: Hello Hello Re: TMBG: Album endings Re: TMBG: Album endings Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? TMBG: a birthday wish TMBG: clarinet cowtown TMBG: Sad TMBG: ends Re: TMBG: whoa Re: TMBG: solo project crossovers Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? TMBG: demo tape Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 22:10:45 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: whoa Message-ID: Total disagreement from me. And about a good singe, TMHFA would be the best bet. It took me by surprise that Why Does The Sun Shine was a single. I think They must have only done it for fun, character, and to release those other songs. There's no way it could have gone anywhere commercially. Well, gotta go. And by the way, I don't want to be first place in the next frequent-poster poll. It's just plain embarassing! Mark On Sun, 4 May 1997, The Christ Family wrote: > I go to the wall with you people(I mean, you are TMBG fans) but your own > worst enemy has to by the twin quazars worst song!!!!!!!! > > Steve > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336D61E6.7B90@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 21:28:22 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: TMBG Okay, last message of the day, I promise (well, maybe not, but I'll try to make it my last)... Are there any more TMBG-naming coincidences I should be aware of? I've seen They Might Be Giants (the movie), and I'm fighting to check Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon out from the library... what else am I missing? I'm also struggling with my mother to let me watch Ed And His Dead Mother. Also, who thinks They should bring back that really coooool bass gee-tarr from Flood and Lincoln? You know, the one that's really audible in Your Racist Friend and Hey Mr. DJ... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 23:51:53 -0500 (CDT) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: TMBG: Kansas Show Message-Id: On Sun, 4 May 1997, Heather Tinkler wrote: I know there have already been a few posts about this show, and here's another one. This was my second show, and it was well worth the trip. It almost wasn't though, because of some jerkoff who thought his shoe belonged on stage and threw it, barely missing Flans. The highlight of the show was THE SICK! You see, i had constructed a small sign saying "STICK", made with reflective letters purchased at a truck stop. Both Flans and Linnell gave me weird looks. > You got a set list? We tried, but they were all "spoken for" Me: Hey, can I have a set list? Bouncer Guy: Um, I don't think they use them. > I met some Iowa > guys but I don't remember names... David? and a lot of guys whose > names started with a J? That must have been me and my posse. All in all, It was a great show. And a managed to get a decent boot of most of it. Staci, Heather, Jillian, I enjoyed meeting you. Jamal "There is no higher calling for a young mind than driving to a rock and roll concert" John Flansburg ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: DAS Message-ID: <19970505.061339.11902.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 08:14:48 EDT Joel said: 2) Is Maine still the song on DAS? I don't feel like calling (trying to at least) if that's still there. NO!!! i got through last week and it was maine and then when i got through oh i'd say about two days ago it was children singing particle man and then i got through one more time later on that day and i got something else (too bad i can't remmeber what it was) hmmm.... it was one of mono puff's though.... i remember that much!!!!! we normally sing in a vocal frequency range well above the audible range of your puny little earth ears but i tell you something... you oughta bring your dogs and cats out here cuz they would love this show... love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705051300.JAA27738@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 5 May 97 09:03:55 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Album endings What a subjective thought... "End of The Tour" is one of those rare TMBG songs that actually evokes an emotional response from me... I >LOVE< most of the catalog, mind you, (probably every song except "Hot Cha") but "Tour" does that flippy stomach thing to me every time I hear it. After the wonderful listening experience that is John Henry, "Tour" makes me want to start the whole thing again. Now that I think about it, the two other artists I enjoy most (Todd Rundgren/King Crimson & Robert Fripp) are the same way; well-written, but that 1-in-10 song that makes you ache a little inside lingers... (running to CD rack for JH...) So I guess what I'm saying is that "Tour" is my favorite album-ender. Verbose, huh? tompoohheadbucket. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705051712.KAA26204@f8.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: My amazing KU experience (long) Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 10:12:36 PDT >You got a set list? We tried, but they were all "spoken for" Blah. Ick. >> i think those are all my thoughts on the show. i met Jamal (nice to meet >> you!) but didn't hook up with anyone else...despite my yelling "list" into >> the croud that at times was trying to hurt me! Me too! I wandered around looking for you all...oh well. >Sorry about the crowd! We must have just missed you!! We were in the >front on Linnell's side behind and next to this crazy stoned looking >girl who flapped her arms like a chicken. I'm hoping that wasn't >anyone here. (We were myself- shoulder length blond hair and bangs >wearing blue overalls, long sleeved black shirt and a black cardigan >tied..my boyfriend who joined me in the front after the conga line.. >tired looking boy with short brown hair and a Garbage Tour '96 shirt, >and Anastasia.. coffee cup shirt and black hat..) With Marvin the Martian...the crazed one yelling "List!?" every minute I met up with J the Mystreious, the Denominator, and some blond girl whose name I don't remember. (Sorry. Who were you again?) > At the beginning of the encore the only people >hindering our perfect view left and we got very front seats!!! Wow! I took 2 rolls of film. When these pics come out, I'll try to post them to my homepage. Linnell came out beforehand during Gravel pit and took pictures of the audience!:) Coolness!1! > >After the concert Anastasia went to look for the bus Actually, for band members >while Richard and >I went to get a sticker for Mop (my car). Afterwards we hung on the >hill for a few minutes to wait for Staci.. > Anyways, we met up with Anastasia and she spotted Graham talking >to the shirt guy, so we waited and asked for an autograph.. Which was hard for me to do, because I'm shy. But this was my first TMBG show ever and I wanted to thank somebody... > This is one of the times I interject and tell everyone how nice >and underappreciated Graham is. We all love the Johns, but they >aren't the whole band anymore. I must agree with Heather. He talked to us like we were...well...people. > Graham signed our papers and we asked him to come to Texas or >Oklahoma. He asked where we came from and we said Okla. City, which >(with stops and getting lost) turned out to be a little over 6 hour >drive that day. He said that that was longer than they took, and >where were we staying? We said we were going to try and crash >somewhere in Lawrence and leave tomorrow. >AMAZING PART!!!!! > Graham then said..You know, we are leaving on the bus around 1am, >but we have rooms at the Hampton that I don't think we're doing >anything else with.. I decided I will write my own post. I want to thank Heather for the ride down. I had such a good time and I could not have done so without her. Anastasia * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705051828.LAA03786@f8.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Graham Maby Is A GOD!!(My KU Experience) Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 11:28:27 PDT As you all know by now, I went up to lawrence, KS to see my personal gods play. You were told the story by Heather, so allow me to simply fill in. (Heather, BTW, drove me up there and I will always be grateful.) The trip was long. We left late because they (heather and her BF Richard) couldn't find my house. ( I suck at giving directions.) I'll cut most of the actual trip from this, except to say I never get to talk about TMBG like I did with HEather. After getting lost (again) we found Lawrence and KU. I changed clothes and we headed for the show at about 4:15. We found a place to sit. I got up to take canned goods to an appropriate dropping place, then looked for listers (To no avail- I only found Jamal.) I decided at 5 to see if I could make my way into the pit. I did, during a mosh session that landed me in the 2nd row. (YAY!) I understood the irony immediately of what was stenciled on Graham's equip. cases: G.MABY. During Gravel Pit's set, Linnell sat on the right side of the stage and took pictures. Heather had slinked her way into the crowd and stood behind me during the show. I'll try not to repeat Heather, so I'm leaving a lot out. Linnell was smiley. Flans wore a jacket over a long sleeved plaid shirt. (The jacket came off minutes later.) Linnell was dressed like a skater-baggy cords, long sleeved stiped shirt, and Chucks. Dan wore a sweater over a turtleneck (what's with these New Yorkers? Layers? In the Kansas springtime? ).I was so impressed with Dan. I think i have a new crush. 8) About 15 min. into the show, some dip threw a shoe on stage. It landed by Flans. Flans said "Tell you what, whoever threw the shoe. You want the show to end? Throw the other one." Silence. "I'm not kidding...I don't appreciate stuff like...beer cans being thrown at me. I don't care about my music that much to put up with that...so, do that again and the show is over. Now, for our unknown friend..."They launched int Birdhouse. They brought out the Stick!!! Puppet Heads!!! Conga line (Flans said we prolly broke a record...yay!)!!! I conga'd until I was sick and wandered back to my spot. The glockenspiel! Dan was cute the whole time during Shoehorn. Then again, Dan is cute anytime.;) The show was a religious experience. Oh, BTW, Flans was saying "TMBG do not condone the use of drugs...the government is our friend." I yelled "Yeah, right." He said, "Whatever." And looked at me funny. Weehah! Now, you know the story of our Graham experience. Said hi, shook hand, yadda yadda, got autographs. So cool, because Graham knew how to spell my name!! (ANASTASIA! Thanks for coming so far! Love fron Graham Maby [TMBG]) He offered us his hotel room..yadda yadda...you know how that went. The outcome doesn't matter. Graham is still A god. I will remember that for the rest of my life. Thus concludes the abridged version of the story of the best day of my life until i get married. Anastasia This message brought to you by Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's my real name so stop asking already!!!!) ###################################################### "Don't call me at work again, oh no, the boss still hates me; I'm just tired, and I don't love you anymore; and there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go-I mean nice people-baby wait; I didn't mean to say 'nightmare'..."-TMBG, 'They'll Need A Crane' TMBG Info Club ID# 50982 TMBG Show at KU 5/3/97 (my first show...yippee!) **************************************************** Get Stomped!!! at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 15:01:54 -0500 From: elleng@massart.edu (ellen g.) Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? >> > >Let's see what I think are weak songs: XTC vs. Adam Ant, SEXXY, >> > >Absolutely Bill's Mood, Window... but there's nothing they've done >>that I >> > >*hate* and would always skip. >> > > >Oddly enough, I almost always skip the first song on any given CD.... Oddly enough, my *LEAST* favorite CD is Flood. I'm not exactly sure what it is... though I adore Birdhouse in Your Soul, Dead, We Want a Rock, and a few others, I just can't get myself to love (I like them ok, I can't hate a tmbg song) say, Hot Cha, Someone Keeps Moving my Chair, and Hearing Aid. Funny, I always thought it was their weakest album... WELL, then. I'm not a floodie. :) >really unhappy about the decreased mail volume but appreciating the >concentrated They in each message :T Ditto. -ellen "What is the function of the artist?" "The function of the artist, is to provide what life does not." -Tom Robbins, Another Roadside Attraction ************************************** Visit Eclectic Ellen G's Website, presently being revamped! http://www.tiac.net/users/gersh/ellen.htm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705051950.OAA91560@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 14:51:58 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: whoa okay folks, lets's get this straight. "why does the sun shine" is an ep, not a single. there IS a difference between an ep and a single. although "whirlpool" did get pretty heavy rotation back home when wdtss came out. geoff (is being forced to listen to pantera by his dipshit roommate who has no respect for others whatsoever. who wants to help me gang up on him?) mc 10:10 PM 5/4/97 -0500, you wrote: >It took me by surprise that Why Does The Sun Shine was a >single. I think They must have only done it for fun, character, and to >release those other songs. There's no way it could have gone anywhere >commercially. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 5 May 97 15:59 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Album endings > What a subjective thought... "End of The Tour" is one of those rare TMBG >songs that actually evokes an emotional response from me... I >LOVE< most of the >catalog, mind you, (probably every song except "Hot Cha") but "Tour" does that >flippy stomach thing to me every time I hear it. Same here. TMBG songs don't do that to me much, but when they do.. wow. I remember the first time I listened to John Henry, and it finally got to End of the Tour, and I just clung to every word of it. Something about it.. It's truly a masterpiece. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 16:58:43 -0400 (EDT) From: taileen Subject: Re: TMBG: fingertips? Message-ID: It's an orlando station 104.1 Real Radio The talk shows are pretty good but not worth that... :( taileen On Sun, 4 May 1997, Wilson Dorward wrote: > taileen wrote: > > > > I heard fingertips on the radio today and I was really excited for a > > second... > > until I realized they had said, "and we promise you'll never have to > > listen to this to get this > band like that>" > that's horrible. What station was it? > ------------------------------ From: Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 15:41:39 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? Message-ID: <4E6C0761A51@athena.valpo.edu> yes, flood is my least favorite tmbg cd also. i don't know if it's their weakest album (i thought that john henry wasn't as musically decisive as factory--tmbg just didn't seem to know where they were taking the album, but i like henry more than flood), but i dislike it for two reasons: first off, it's the one with all the silly sing-alongies that everybody who isn't a tmbg fan knows. when people find out i dig the twin quasars, they always, always say "can i borrow flood?" i just try and stay away from music everybody knows. second reason, and this is a little stronger, i don't think it's all that congruous with the rest of their albums. it's the only album where virtually every song uses the accordion (i think dead is an exception). even john henry fits in well with tmbg's musical growth, but flood, i don't know where to put it. if they had skipped it and went directly to apollo 18 instead, their musical progression would be much more linear. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970505130541.006b88a4@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 13:21:55 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: solo project crossovers >I wonder, though, if Monopuff stuff makes it to DAS, does that >mean that maybe Flans wrote some of these songs, intending them for TMBG, >but they got sidelined and made it to Monopuff instead? Likely. Remember that "Maine", too, was a TMBG song before it was a solo Linnell song. My theory is that if, say, Flans writes a song and is really really enthusiastic about it, but perhaps it doesn't quite fit into an album or maybe Linnell is iffy about it, it'll wind up as a Mono Puff song. And vicey-versey with Linnell. >I don't think they should >quote it in their travel brochure, you think? "Maine! It'll crush your >evil heart!" Hee hee... What are you talking about?! That's a *terrific* travel motto! I'd visit Maine, if they were cool enough to make that their motto. :) I also think that they should make "She's An Angel" the theme song of "Touched By An Angel." *I*'d watch the stupid show, if they did... >The only one I think would be good as a single would be TMHFO. I think >they chose S-E-X-X-Y because of the potential commercial appeal of a >song with SEX in it. Yeah, I know... *sigh* Last time I ordered from the Info Club, they shipped it in a spare box they had lying around... turned out to be a box that had formerly held copies of SEXXY... the people at my school's package pick-up desk, greatly amused, informed me that I had a box containing "25 sexy cd's" waiting for me... I turned red... >Weak songs: Unrelated Thing, You'll Miss Me, I should be allowed to think, >SEXXY, Dirt Bike *sigh* Why doesn't anyone like Unrelated Thing? I like it, I really, honestly, truly do! It's so sad and understated and... I dunno, Hemingway-esque. >I think the following songs to be some of their best unrecognized works: >Your own worst Enemy, Where your Eyes don't go, Window?, The Bells are >ringing, Spiraling Shape. I, for one, affirm and maintain that Out Of Jail is a genuinely kick-ass song. Why it doesn't show up on more people's favorites list is a mystery to me. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "The healing doesn't stop the feeling."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 18:42:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705052242.SAA01912@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? >yes, flood is my least favorite tmbg cd also. i don't know if it's their >weakest album (i thought that john henry wasn't as musically decisive as >factory--tmbg just didn't seem to know where they were taking the album, >but i like henry more than flood), but i dislike it for two reasons: first >off, it's the one with all the silly sing-alongies that everybody who isn't >a tmbg fan knows. when people find out i dig the twin quasars, they >always, always say "can i borrow flood?" i just try and stay away from >music everybody knows. second reason, and this is a little stronger, i >don't think it's all that congruous with the rest of their albums. it's >the only album where virtually every song uses the accordion (i think dead >is an exception). even john henry fits in well with tmbg's musical growth, >but flood, i don't know where to put it. if they had skipped it and went >directly to apollo 18 instead, their musical progression would be much more >linear. > >jeremy, I see your point. Flood doesn't really fit in well with the other stuff they did. But it also introduced me, and many other fans, to Them. I never would have got into Them if I hadn't heard "Particle Man" on Doctor Demento one time, and liked it enough to go get their tape. So while it isn't their best musically, if it is commercially successful enough to pull some people from the mainstream into fandom, then more power to Them. Marty ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 17:19:36 -0500 Message-Id: <199705052219.RAA32440@knights.farmington.k12.mo.us> From: msummers@knights.farmington.k12.mo.us (Mary Summers) Subject: TMBG: stick I always here everyone talking about the stick. What's with the freakin' stick??????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Molly ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 17:48:57 -0500 From: ageerl@artic.edu (amy beth geerling) Subject: TMBG: meow, i am a kat does anyone know where i can find the lyrics to everything on the s-e-x-x-y single? thanks! ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Hello Hello Message-ID: <19970505.184302.4830.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 18:42:52 EDT A while back somebody posted saying that Flansburgh is not the voice(s) on the Mono Puff song Hello Hello. I think somebody said it might have been Joshua Fried. I seiously doubt this. Does anybody know, because I'm sure it's Flans. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 18:42:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705052242.SAA01902@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: Album endings > > What a subjective thought... "End of The Tour" is one of those rare TMBG >songs that actually evokes an emotional response from me > (running to CD rack for JH...) So I guess what I'm saying is that "Tour" >is my favorite album-ender. Verbose, huh? > > tompoohheadbucket. Yeah, "Tour" is probably my fav ending. I got bored because I've got bronchitis today, so I decided to rank my fav endings: 1. The End of the Tour-John Henry---Sad story evokes a strong emotional response. 2. Rhythm Section Want Ad-They Might be Giants---Possibly Their best song? 3. The Bells Are Ringing-Factory Showroom---Fantastic song about brainwashing. 4. Son of God-Lincoln---I don't know why I'm writing summaries, because you've all probably heard all these hundreds of times, too. 5. Road Movie to Berlin-Flood 6. Space Suit-Apollo 18 That was a lot harder than I thought, because those are six of my favorite TMBG songs. Marty ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336E6FB4.3FC4@BlazeNet.net> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 19:39:32 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: Album endings > > What a subjective thought... "End of The Tour" is one of those rare TMBG > >songs that actually evokes an emotional response from me... I >LOVE< most of the > >catalog, mind you, (probably every song except "Hot Cha") but "Tour" does that > >flippy stomach thing to me every time I hear it. > > Same here. TMBG songs don't do that to me much, but when they > do.. wow. I remember the first time I listened to John Henry, and it > finally got to End of the Tour, and I just clung to every word of it. > Something about it.. It's truly a masterpiece. > > Kirsten > -- > "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, > with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ > Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie I don't really get an emotional response, but the words do have meaning. The first time I heard it, I realized I had heard it before. The guitar line in the second verse was the theme music to "Cartoon Planet" on Cartoon Network. I was proud. Unfortunatly, it isn't the theme music any more. Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336E7200.B93@BlazeNet.net> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 19:49:20 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? > i don't know if it's their > weakest album (i thought that john henry wasn't as musically decisive as > factory--tmbg just didn't seem to know where they were taking the album, > but i like henry more than flood), I personally like John Henry the best. I only skip two songs on that CD (Unrelated Thing & Extra Savoir Faire (sp.)) 1:10 is the best ratio of songs I skip on any CD and End of the Tour is one of my favorites. I think their style for this CD is the best of all of the CDs. However, I do agree that Flood is my least favorite CD of the Giants. The skip ratio on Flood is about 1:5 or something like that. Of course, it's still TMBG, so I don't hate it... Eric ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 20:56:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970505205542_1521538300@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: a birthday wish May 6th: ***HAPPY 37TH BIRTHDAY, JOHN CONANT FLANSBURGH!!!*** :) --Christy ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 20:59:59 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970505205957_1953692457@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: clarinet cowtown Can anyone either tell me the notes or tell me where to find the clarinet part to the intro of Cowtown? please? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 17:11:52 PST Subject: TMBG: Sad Message-ID: <19970505.172448.4822.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I am severely depressed. I try to ask questions, but I get made fun of. So I try to talk, but no one responds to me. Do you not like me any more??? Josh Nielsen "Don't blame me if the guy's a nut..." -Gloria ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970505202124.00f92898@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 20:21:24 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: ends Personally, I think Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes is a great way to end an album (side). Then again, how do I know? I only have s/t on CD! -ec | center.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 16:56:05 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: whoa Message-ID: <19970505.170822.3982.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I disagree. Sapphire Bullets is their worst song. On Sun, 04 May 1997 21:03:20 EST skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) writes: >I go to the wall with you people(I mean, you are TMBG fans) but your >own >worst enemy has to by the twin quazars worst song!!!!!!!! > > Steve > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336E72E1.59FD@BlazeNet.net> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 19:53:05 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: solo project crossovers > I, for one, affirm and maintain that Out Of Jail is a genuinely kick-ass > song. Why it doesn't show up on more people's favorites list is a mystery > to me. :) I agree. It's got a good story to the lyrics if you look at those things and I like the music also. I think its another one of those anti-John Henry things. I don't see what's so bad about Henry...... Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336E7441.5498@BlazeNet.net> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 19:58:57 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? > I see your point. Flood doesn't really fit in well with the other stuff > they did. But it also introduced me, and many other fans, to Them. I never > would have got into Them if I hadn't heard "Particle Man" on Doctor Demento > one time, and liked it enough to go get their tape. So while it isn't their > best musically, if it is commercially successful enough to pull some people > from the mainstream into fandom, then more power to Them. > > Marty This is true. I met the Giants on Tiny Toon Adventures. It was funny. Many people who have heard of any TMBG song heard it on Tiny Toons. WHat a marketing device. The only bad thing is that the cartoons made fun of TMBG. AT least they didn't use the Q word. Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336E5268.7E48@baka.com> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 21:34:32 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: demo tape Well, now that I've finally got a chance to listen to the 85 and 84 demo tapes in their entirety(thanks Matt James!), I was shocked by how much better some of the original versions are than the versions that actually made it onto the albums. First of all, You'll Miss Me. Though I'm one of the like three people on the planet who likes the you'll miss me on Lincoln, this one is much better. I think the spoken word makes it easy to understand the very cool lyrics(in the other version, I thought they were saying "you'll always rip my big old body" for a long time) and it's just cooler. Please pause for a moment, I have to get something out... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? WHY HAVEN'T THEY RELEASED HELL HOTEL YET!!!... sorry about that. But anyway, had that song been on the first album, it would have been right up there with such classics as 32 footsteps, she's an angel, puppet head, and rhythm section want ad. And the version of They Might Be Giants is better musicall to, though I think the lyrics changes are probably for the better, if only because my admittedly twisted mind has problems not thinking hard about the line "they might be something else down below". I must admit that "They might be chewing on a pair of feet never fails to crack me up. And I think the, though heavily released(on the statue single and then) version of Which Describes How You're Feeling All The Time is a bit better. That is all. -- "And if you wanna change the world shut your mouth and start this minute" -Cracker Jonah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-125 ******************************