Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-126 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 126 Wednesday, 7 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Religious Brainwashing TMBG: Birthdays?? TMBG: album endings Re: TMBG: solo project crossovers TMBG: Song ratings? TMBG: TMBG news Re: TMBG: Album endings TMBG: Worst songs (Re:Whoa!) Re: TMBG: Religious Brainwashing Re: TMBG: demo tape TMBG: jolly green giant(-esses??) TMBG: MAD tmbg ref TMBG: CHAT TMBG: You'll Miss Me TMBG: my page Re: TMBG: clarinet cowtown TMBG: you say it's your birthday... Re: TMBG: a birthday wish Re: TMBG: clarinet cowtown TMBG: Mono Puff lyrics Re: TMBG: tmbg: story TMBG: fandom test! TMBG: the stick TMBG: Happy Birthday Mr. Flansburgh! Re: TMBG: whoa TMBG: Mono Puff Interps TMBG: Flood logo, Bar None origins TMBG: Musical Progression Re: TMBG: Hello Hello Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? TMBG: The next single (?) & Australian John Henry TMBG: The Stick Re: TMBG: Album endings Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: hlan1@student.monash.edu.au Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 11:10:42 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Re: Religious Brainwashing Message-id: <20D078A4AEB@mfs01.cc.monash.edu.au> Organization: Monash University > >All, > > One last post, and I'll stop bothering you. I'm new to the > > list, > > and I > > don't know if anyone has interpreted it this way before (I'm sure > > they have), but am I the only one that thinks "The Bells are Ringing" > > is about religious brainwashing? Any thoughts? Marty > I hope not. > Josh Nielsen I certainly see it as such. However, I don't see it as a negative comment about religion per se but rather as refering to certain types of religious organisations and heiracies. The religion it talks of is one that is about the forms rather than the beliefs - what was wrong was that they were disorganised instead of something to do with morality and the like - and one that is enshrine in institutions in a way that facilitates compulsion - the girl with ear plugs who was forcibly 'converted'. Josh probably hopes that the song is not about religious brain washing because he is in sympathy with religion. As a practising and active Christian, I share such sympathies. What must be recognised, and what TMBG are pointing out, is that religion is a powerful force that can be misused and abused. Where there is choice and freedom of religious practise in a way that encourages personal exploration of faith, the song need not apply. Unfortunately, this is all to often not the case. (Guess who hit upon one of my pet topics!) Hannah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 22:03:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Birthdays?? Message-ID: hey/hay, I have heard it said that if two people share a birthday, they have many things in common, from myopia (October 9, John Lennon, Cervantes, and me) to logical/emotional thinking patterns, and that the date you are born even affects your looks in some way- even though the only resemblance I can find between myself and John Lennon is a large nose. So here is my question: Does anyone on the list share a birthday with Linnell or Flansburgh? If so, do you find any commonalities between yourself and a Giant? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The thing's hollow- it goes on forever- and- oh my God! It's full of stars!" - 2001: A Space Odyssey ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: album endings Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 21:38:33 EST Message-Id: <199705060138.6370500@cyberia.com> 1. End of the Tour(by far) 2. Rhythm section want ad 3. son of god 4. space suit 5. bells 6. road movin' to berlin On a totally different note: Is it bad to want to be on the top ten list? You guys are all wrong. Your own worst enemy really does suck(It makes me feel bad) I agree.. Flood has no depth on it compared to the other CD's. However, It does serve as a good tool to get people listening to TMBG though. We should get a pic of Flans using the Stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would rock. Steve FFrom owner-tmbg-list Mon May 5 21:43:46 1997 Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id VAA10530 for owner-tmbg-list; Mon, 5 May 1997 21:43:45 -0400 Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 21:43:45 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-list Message-Id: <199705060143.VAA10530@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: owner-tmbg-list Subject: BOUNCE tmbg-list: Approval required >From tmbg-list-owner Mon May 5 21:43:39 1997 Received: from wolfenet.com (news1.wolfe.net [204.157.98.9]) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with ESMTP id VAA10520 for ; Mon, 5 May 1997 21:43:38 -0400 Received: from PC_mms.wolfenet.com (sea-ts3-p34.wolfenet.com [204.157.98.216]) by wolfenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id SAA23295; Mon, 5 May 1997 18:44:35 -0700 (PDT) Message-ID: In-Reply-To: <199705052242.SAA01902@sumter.awod.com> References: Conversation <199705052242.SAA01902@sumter.awod.com> with last message <199705052242.SAA01902@sumter.awod.com> Priority: Normal X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Priority: 3 To: "Marty Tomlinson" , "Pooh Head Bucket?" Cc: "TMBG" MIME-Version: 1.0 From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: Album endings Date: Tue, 06 May 97 18:13:41 PDT Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"; X-MAPIextension=".TXT" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit | > | > What a subjective thought... "End of The Tour" is one of those rare TMBG | >songs that actually evokes an emotional response from me | > (running to CD rack for JH...) So I guess what I'm saying is that "Tour" | >is my favorite album-ender. Verbose, huh? When they were touring with John Henry Portland ,OR was the last stop on the tour and "End of the Tour" was the last song at the show. Talk about cool endings!!! Whatever... Michelle rom MAILER-DAEMON Mon May 5 21:43:46 1997 Return-Path: MAILER-DAEMON Received: from localhost (localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with internal id VAB10521; Mon, 5 May 1997 21:43:46 -0400 Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 21:43:46 -0400 From: Mail Delivery Subsystem Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1 Message-Id: <199705060143.VAB10521@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: tmbg-list-owner Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) The original message was received at Mon, 5 May 1997 21:43:38 -0400 from news1.wolfe.net [204.157.98.9] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'" (expanded from: ) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- Can't send article to the server: 441 435 Duplicate (Article not posted.) 554 "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'"... unknown mailer error 1 ----- Original message follows ----- Return-Path: mms@wolfenet.com Received: from wolfenet.com (news1.wolfe.net [204.157.98.9]) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with ESMTP id VAA10520 for ; Mon, 5 May 1997 21:43:38 -0400 Received: from PC_mms.wolfenet.com (sea-ts3-p34.wolfenet.com [204.157.98.216]) by wolfenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id SAA23295; Mon, 5 May 1997 18:44:35 -0700 (PDT) Message-ID: In-Reply-To: <199705052242.SAA01902@sumter.awod.com> References: Conversation <199705052242.SAA01902@sumter.awod.com> with last message <199705052242.SAA01902@sumter.awod.com> Priority: Normal X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Priority: 3 To: "Marty Tomlinson" , "Pooh Head Bucket?" Cc: "TMBG" MIME-Version: 1.0 From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: Album endings Date: Tue, 06 May 97 18:13:41 PDT Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"; X-MAPIextension=".TXT" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit | > | > What a subjective thought... "End of The Tour" is one of those rare TMBG | >songs that actually evokes an emotional response from me | > (running to CD rack for JH...) So I guess what I'm saying is that "Tour" | >is my favorite album-ender. Verbose, huh? When they were touring with John Henry Portland ,OR was the last stop on the tour and "End of the Tour" was the last song at the show. Talk about cool endings!!! Whatever... Michelle ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 5 May 97 22:20 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: solo project crossovers >Weak songs: Unrelated Thing, You'll Miss Me, I should be allowed to think, >SEXXY, Dirt Bike Y'know, I think Dirt Bike is a fabulous song. I love the horns, and Flans voice is just loverly. The way he sings it, with such controlled emotion, you get the feeling he's going to burst out any second. Unrelated Thing is growing on me - I've always liked the lyrics, and now I'm starting to really like the music, too. I almost picked that one to perform as poetry for forensics class - I ended up doing Ana Ng, She's An Angel, They'll Need a Crane, and Kiss Me Son of God. I got an A. :) My teacher really liked Kiss Me. >I, for one, affirm and maintain that Out Of Jail is a genuinely kick-ass >song. Yay Nicole! You're right, it's a kickass song. :) To me it's always had an almost 80s pop feel, like it belongs in the soundtrack to a Molly Ringwold movie, only it rocks out a little more than your average Molly Ringwold movie soundtrack. I always get this picture of Flans et al really getting down in true rock band style. It seems to find its way to many of my TMBG mix tapes. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: "Cyborg J. Kucera" Message-Id: <199705060239.VAA05173@peter.atw.earthreach.com> Subject: TMBG: Song ratings? Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 21:39:52 -0500 (CDT) 'ello, there... I'm in the habit of making mixtapes for people, usually with really odd music I find at our campus radio station, but I've also been known to make people straight-TMBG tapes [1], most often [2] for friends or just anyone in general who hasn't been enlightened with TMBG yet... I was just thinking about how odd my musical tastes were, and this became apparent when I noticed that virtually every song that people have mentioned to be their "least favorite" is one of my all-time best songs ever recorded. [3] It was roughly five minutes ago when I came to the realization that my TMBG mix tapes probably represented what, in our own little inbred [4] culture of ours, is the minority. I don't want people who haven't been enlightened by TMBG to be turned off of the One True Path to Happiness simply because I've got really odd tastes and I gave them a bunch of songs that practically nobody else likes. :) So... I thought to myself, "Dear God! Whatever shall I do! I'll be banished to spend the rest of time eternally sitting naked in a vat of molten squirt cheese!" Now, one thing I _don't_ want happening is everyone on the list jumping in with "This one's my favorite," [5] BECAUSE....... Didn't someone, a long time ago, have a page already set up that was tallying up people's opinions as to what TMBG songs were the best? Some kind of really huge voting page or something? If someone has the URL, could you mail it to me [6]? Thanks. (Yes, you're right. You just sifted through a full page of bad semantics and wordplay just so you could find out that I just wanted the URL to someone's homepage. Ha! So there. I'm irrevocably stuck in your subconsious forever. I think I hear the squirt cheese calling...) Later, Anakin [1] Well, with Mono Puff. It's close enough for me. [2] Read: in every instance. [3] Did that make sense? [7] [4] Not to be mistaken with an insult; far from it. :) [5] Poor Leo would go insane sifting through all that stuff [8] [6] Good ol' private email would be fine, unless you're sure the rest of the list cares at all... [7] No. [8] Cool! I have a reason to bring up the moderation thing... "I say, 'Right On!'" It's cool. I'm fundamentally against moderation, but the list really needed it bad, and it's been a long time coming. Hats off, Leo! Hope you don't go bonkers! :) [9] Obligatory self-referencing footnote. [9] Cyborg "Pez" Kucera - http://www.earthreach.com/~pez - pez@earthreach.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705061651.AA05021@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG news Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 12:51:03 -0400 (EDT) > > hate message to some mailing list, they'll whine about it for days. Ha, > > ha!" You pick the hapless, innocent TMBG list as a candidate. > > > > Folks, my opionion here is let people whine about it. It gives us > something to talk about. Every once in a while, I think you all have to > agree, this list doesnt have any TMBG news or anything really TMBG > related to talk about. So why not lets complain about it? What better > do we have to talk about? > While I don't mind all that much what goes on the list, I must say that there is often something to talk about concerning TMBG almost every day. Between touring non-stop and folks going to concerts and interviews and magazine articles and pictures popping up about TMBG it's virtually impossible to *not* have something to say about TMBG from someone. I've been on other mailing lists and there have been there lag times and there have been there high-volume times but on average I see more info about TMBG than any other one I've been on. Sure there is the occassional thread that goes wild that is more on the fringe or is not related to TMBG at all, but most of the time something is happening with the Johns. It sure helps that they tour nonstop! Now I'm just curious as to when they are going to put up dates on tmbg.com now that the last concert in Iowa has passed this Sunday. Will they show European dates? Will they have some interesting NYC dates lined up? And what other cities will see TMBG in the near future, or will there be a little break to get the album together/Flans work on Monopuff/Linnell on side projects? HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN FLANSBURGH! -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 18:06:49 -0500 From: elleng@massart.edu (ellen g.) Subject: Re: TMBG: Album endings >> Same here. TMBG songs don't do that to me much, but when they >> do.. wow. I remember the first time I listened to John Henry, and it >> finally got to End of the Tour, and I just clung to every word of it. >> Something about it.. It's truly a masterpiece. >I don't really get an emotional response, but the words do have meaning. >The first time I heard it, I realized I had heard it before. The guitar >line in the second verse was the theme music to "Cartoon Planet" on >Cartoon Network. I was proud. Unfortunatly, it isn't the theme music >any more. Eric Exquise me, but didn't TMBG write the intro to Cartoon Planet? (Or is it space ghost:coast to coast? I still can't figure it out.) It WAS Space Ghost:Coast to Coast. Actually, not that stunning of a TMBG piece, if you ask me. Has the theme music to Cartoon Planet changed? sad. -ellen "What is the function of the artist?" "The function of the artist, is to provide what life does not." -Tom Robbins, Another Roadside Attraction ************************************** Visit Eclectic Ellen G's Website, presently being revamped! http://www.tiac.net/users/gersh/ellen.htm ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 18:13:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970506180920_1221930132@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Worst songs (Re:Whoa!) In a message dated 97-05-05 23:49:35 EDT, jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) writes: << I disagree. Sapphire Bullets is their worst song. >> I happen to like SB(Sap. Bul.) It is calm and relaxing and I enjoy listening to it when I'm tired or stressed. However, I don't care much for Dig My Grave. I don't see any meaning to it and it's just plain....loud, and those who know me know that I don't like loud stuff (ie Chainsaw Kittens (2/21 IP Show) ) Joel Daily Screw-up on name of TMBG: They Would Like Gold --(school person) ------------------------------ From: hlan1@student.monash.edu.au Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 11:36:23 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Religious Brainwashing Message-id: <2257441465E@mfs01.cc.monash.edu.au> Organization: Monash University > I am severely depressed. I try to ask questions, but I get made fun > of. So I try to talk, but no one responds to me. Do you not like me > any more??? Josh Nielsen Hey, I tried to reply to your reply to Marty (that counts, doesn't it?) But somehow it didn't make it through to todays digest. If it was just delayed, then I'm sorry, but here it is again in case: * -------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >All, > > One last post, and I'll stop bothering you. I'm new to the > > list, > > and I > > don't know if anyone has interpreted it this way before (I'm sure > > they have), but am I the only one that thinks "The Bells are Ringing" > > is about religious brainwashing? Any thoughts? Marty > I hope not. > Josh Nielsen I certainly see it as such. However, I don't see it as a negative comment about religion per se but rather as refering to certain types of religious organisations and heiracies. The religion it talks of is one that is about the forms rather than the beliefs - what was wrong was that they were disorganised instead of something to do with morality and the like - and one that is enshrine in institutions in a way that facilitates compulsion - the girl with ear plugs who was forcibly 'converted'. Josh probably hopes that the song is not about religious brain washing because he is in sympathy with religion. As a practising and active Christian, I share such sympathies. What must be recognised, and what TMBG are pointing out, is that religion is a powerful force that can be misused and abused. Where there is choice and freedom of religious practise in a way that encourages personal exploration of faith, the song need not apply. Unfortunately, this is all to often not the case. (Guess who hit upon one of my pet topics!) Hannah * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970506175336.00f97e70@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 17:53:36 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: demo tape what songs are on the *1984* demo tape. -ec ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 02:51:28 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: From: ageerl@artic.edu (amy beth geerling) Subject: TMBG: jolly green giant(-esses??) one question i have: Something new I noticed on both original Giant's ring fingers: wedding bands. Does anyone have the dirt on who "they" hooked up with? Maybe we can start some rumors. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 10:16:47 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: MAD tmbg ref Message-Id: I was reading the new Mad Magazine special about families, and in one of the cartoons, there is a picture of a girl holding a CD called: "They Might Be Midgets". creepy Liam Singer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336E945E.41DB@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 22:15:58 -0400 From: Phillip Kent Subject: TMBG: CHAT sorry for all the problems with the chat room. i got caught up in other stuff. this is why i'm handing responsibility over to my brother Kelley. any questions ask Kelley. again, sorry. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 21:57:44 -0500 (CDT) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: TMBG: You'll Miss Me Message-Id: I have never heard the demo version of this song, and I keep hearing people say how much better it is than the Lincoln version. Is there anyone out there who could make a waw or mp3 of this song? thanks, Jamal "We want you... to want the sun!" --John Flansburg ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 09:58:33 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: my page Message-ID: Howdy Folks! Check out my page! Vote for your favorite TMBG song! Listen to live songs... new songs every week! Check out my authentic autographs! Trade bootlegs! ...and much more! http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336E98DD.7BD2@erols.com> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 22:35:09 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: Re: TMBG: clarinet cowtown Phurr@aol.com wrote: > > Can anyone either tell me the notes or tell me where to find the clarinet > part to the intro of Cowtown? please? What about any violin parts? Anyone have any? Tracy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970506120529.00756bbc@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 12:05:29 -0500 From: king of the mountain Subject: TMBG: you say it's your birthday... in addicted to noise's music news of the world today they have a short thing about TMBG and Flans since it's his birthday today... if you want to check it out the address for it is http://www.addict.com/html/hifi/MNOTW/ paul ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705061704.KAA16695@f42.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: a birthday wish Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 10:04:18 PDT >May 6th: > >***HAPPY 37TH BIRTHDAY, JOHN CONANT FLANSBURGH!!!*** :) Happy birthday to you Happy Birthday to you You're my personal god.. Happy Birthday to you >--Christy And Stasi I did give a card to Graham to give to Flans...I forgot to ask Graham when his birthday is so I can send him a card too. * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970504162609.2b57507e@mail.one.net> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 16:26:09 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: clarinet cowtown Okay, try these notes: D F# D G D F# A G D F# A G (and repeat) The pattern is: 8th note, 16th, 16th, 8th, 16th, 16th (repeat), hence the spacing above. The A notes are below the treble clef, so make sure you go down, not up on those. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff lyrics Message-ID: <19970505.212623.4830.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 21:26:25 EDT Just one more thing, don't get impatient with me:) Where can I find Mono Puff lyrics? The only lyrics in the CD booklet are Distant Antenna. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. P.S. Everyone go see Austen Powers International Man Of Mystery. It's the funniest movie I've ever seen (besides Monty Python of course)! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336EAD08.3F28@tgi.net> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 21:01:12 -0700 From: Nathan Turner I Organization: the Asylum Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg: story Just this morning, I was picking this girl up to drive her to school. She has this really annoying dog running around her yard, and when I was backing out of her driveway, I hit her dog with my truck. It just sort of yelped and ran away. This wouldn't be funny, but at that exact moment, "Youth Culture killed my dog" was playing on my deck. Weird. -- "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." --A. Whitney Brown ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970505230600.006a6774@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 23:09:25 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: fandom test! Hi 'vryone In my vast amounts of spare time, I've cooked together this TMBG fandom test, based on the one that Lawrence P. Solomon put on the ng a couple weeks back. Drop by and let me know what you think! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/tmbg.html --nicole the wonder nerd *** "What makes a person so poisonous righteous that they'd think less of anyone who just disagreed?"--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: the stick Message-ID: <19970506.131105.12342.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 15:12:25 EDT molly said: I always here everyone talking about the stick. What's with the freakin' stick??????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 hmm.... how to put this.... IT'S A GIANT STICK! they use it in lie still and it's used as somewhat of a percussion instrument by tapping ( taping? i dunno which one it is... i mean the one that's NOT an adhesive.) it on teh floor right next to a mic. we normally sing in a vocal frequency range well above the audible range of your puny little earth ears but i tell you something... you oughta bring your dogs and cats out here cuz they would love this show... ---Man or Astroman love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970505232151.006a8ea0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 23:21:59 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday Mr. Flansburgh! It's May 6! (Well, almost, and I'm going to bed soon.) *trumpet fanfare* HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MR. JOHN FLANSBURGH! HE'S 37!!! I think I speak for everyone when I say "you're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older, and now you're even older, and now you're even older..." Cheers! Beers! Many happy returns, Mr. Flansburgh! --nicole the wonder nerd *** "What makes a person so poisonous righteous that they'd think less of anyone who just disagreed?"--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 23:02:24 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: whoa Message-ID: Sapphire Bullets is a wonderful song! Does anyone agree?! I think my favorite album would be John Henry, closely followed by the pink album. My least favorite is a tough one because I'm in love with all of them. Maybe Flood, maybe Lincoln or Apollo 18. I really can't say. Their worst song would have to probably be You'll Miss Me. Markk On Mon, 5 May 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > I disagree. Sapphire Bullets is their worst song. > On Sun, 04 May 1997 21:03:20 EST skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) > writes: > >I go to the wall with you people(I mean, you are TMBG fans) but your > >own > >worst enemy has to by the twin quazars worst song!!!!!!!! > > > > Steve > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970506160043.0069b11c@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 09:00:43 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff Interps I don't know how many of you all know about this, so this is addressed to the ones who don't know and would be interested. Flans has an explanation page for the Mono Puff Unsupervised songs at http://www.rykodisc.com/3/features/monopuff/pr.html It's very similar to the Fac Showroom explanation page. This one even has comical drawings of each song. And, of course, during yet another Flood-bashing wave (it's getting worse than John Henry-bashing), let me be one of the apparently few to stick up for Flood. Yes, Flood is loved and considered awesome by some people here, and it makes my stomach hurt to see it kicked around all the time. :-( ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 02:42:27 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970506024226_-1266399102@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Flood logo, Bar None origins Hello 41- The first part of this could be very common knowledge to everybody else, but it shocked me... Flood Logo- I was looking through a program for a TV & Film convention the other day. One of the ads was for the Local 417 or something of TV and film people, something like the FMTIE. Now their logo was the exact same design as the Flood one. It had the F M T I E (or whatever) where the FLOOD were and the 417 in the middle. I was wondering if this was a common union thing, or what? Bar None origins- Today I was driving home on the highway, and noticed something very odd... I was next to a semi, and on the side of it said "Barr Nunn" I thought this was very odd and looked at the tire flaps, and they also said "Barr Nunn and somewhere I forgot Iowa." I know that Bar None is a phrase, but does anyone know if Barr Nunn is a rip off of the record company or if the guy that started Bar None is from Iowa (kinda doubt it...). Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf I'm not crabby, I'm pensive. -Little Man Tate Currently in the CD Changer- They Might Be Giants-Then:1, Dead Milkmen-Beelzebubba, Soul Coughing-Irisistable Bliss, Swingers-Soundtrack, Brian Dewan-Hello '94 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970506161503.0068f2e8@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 09:15:03 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Musical Progression And one more thing: as far as musical progression goes, it is silly to say that Flood doesn't fit in. Lincoln was a step up from the scrappy low-tech sounds of the first album, and used a lot of new instruments; and Apollo 18 has been admitted by Flansburgh to be "over-synthed"; i.e., more electronic and less live than any of their other albums. Flood is in the middle, and certainly represents a peaking in the Giants experimentation with all sorts of musical instruments: violins, horns, pianos, big bass drums, and even whips. Flood flows with all sorts of sounds and, to me, is the best at presenting a large variety of sound without making the pieces appear disparate (i.e., separated). It's a very legitimate showcase for what kind of music TMBG were capable of. ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ From: "Jeremy L. Skrenes" Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 22:29:06 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Hello Message-ID: <4ED92957879@athena.valpo.edu> joshua fried is listed as the producer of the song in album credits, but is not credited for vox. hello hello sounds a lot like flans, i don't see any reason why it isn't. good point on flood. it was my first tmbg album (i ordered it from columbia house, they sent me a scratched one that wouldn't play dead, and i complained and got a new cd, so i gave the scratched one away, hopefully creating another tmbg fan). i think i liked it best until i actually started buying other tmbg albums. i don't know about john henry. it's not my least favorite, but next to flood, it's my least listened to. though i do regularly listen to "sleeping in the flowers," and "noone knows my plan," because robert quine plays guitar solos in them, who also plays with another favorite musician of mine, matthew sweet. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970506001013.0074c1f4@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 00:10:16 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=BEST TMBG CD??? >I see your point. Flood doesn't really fit in well with the other stuff >they did. But it also introduced me, and many other fans, to Them. I never >would have got into Them if I hadn't heard "Particle Man" on Doctor Demento >one time, and liked it enough to go get their tape. So while it isn't their >best musically, if it is commercially successful enough to pull some people >from the mainstream into fandom, then more power to Them. Absolutely. My collection was made up entirely of bad, overplayed pop. Hell, I was a Green Day fan at one point. My friend (also on the list) brought over Flood and told me I HAD to hear it. Of course I had already known of Istanbul and Particle Man, but that only led me to Birdhouse, which I fell in love with. From there I moved on to buy every TMBG CD and several EPs, and partly due to TMBG list recommendations, Ben Folds Five, Barenaked Ladies, Squirrel Nut Zippers, and Mighty Mighty Bosstones. And hey, one Tiny Toons episode was the gateway. So, yeah, I started out with Tiny Toons and Flood, but I doubt, at this point, anyone would think I wasn't a true fan. Hooray for Flood! =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ Message-ID: <336ED449.44AB@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 23:48:41 -0700 From: shm Subject: TMBG: The next single (?) & Australian John Henry hey list, uh, wait, is there a reason that no one thinks a good single for factory showroom would be New York City? Ok, I mean besides that fact that it's a cover? Is it not cool to release a cover of a song as a single? To me it's the obvious choice, it's a really cool song!!! (yes I own the cub version, actually I own about 4 copies of cubs version across 4 of cubs CDs and the mint records sampler disc) Of course, I might be biased 'coz pop/punk is my favorite 'genre' of music (yep, just picked up Shonen Knife: Brand New Knife and Mr. T Experience: Love is Dead) and mint/lookout records is my favorite label... (this is all of course AFTER TMBG... lets get this straight right now, when I say ANYTHING is my favorite ANYTHING, I mean AFTER TMBG of course)... Oh! That reminds me! I was at tower tonight (thats where i got the CDs, duh) and I saw a copy of the Australian Import of John Henry... if any of you don't know the signifigance of this, it's like this: 1) it costs $34 2) it comes packed with a 6 track CD labeled "live in New York". As the label suggests, all the tracks are live and were recorded in New York (yes its an abbridged version of the sony music studios recording) the tracks are: 1) Don't Let's Start 2) Ana Ng 3) Particle Man 4) Statue Got Me High 5) Birdhouse in Your Soul 6) Twisting Now, I myself already have this nifty little package, sooo, if any of you listies want it, still wrapped, email me with some possible trades... lates, jdm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970506103115.006ada6c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 10:31:33 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: The Stick >I always here everyone talking about the stick. What's with the freakin' >stick??????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Calm down, my friend. You'll use up your quota of punctuation marks, and then what will you do? The Stick is a large stick (whoa, truth in advertising) with a microphone on the end. Flans sometimes uses as percussion on Lie Still, Little Bottle. Recently it's been showing up in most of their shows. Anyone else think this should be in the FAQ? >does anyone know where i can find the lyrics to everything on the s-e-x-x-y >single? >thanks! Try http://www.tmbg.org. They have an extensive collection of song lyrics, interps, chords, what have you. >I am severely depressed. I try to ask questions, but I get made fun of. >So I try to talk, but no one responds to me. Do you not like me any >more??? We're a friendly group. Share your thoughts--we won't bite. :) Well, I won't, anyway. :> On a side note-- if you're new here, please READ THE FAQ! It will answer many of your questions and it's a fascinating read. After you've been on this list a while, you, too, will be tired of posts asking questions that have been answered zillions of times. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "What makes a person so poisonous righteous that they'd think less of anyone who just disagreed?"--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Album endings Message-ID: <19970505.212623.4830.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 21:26:25 EDT >Yeah, "Tour" is probably my fav ending. I got bored because I've got >bronchitis today, so I decided to rank my fav endings: > >1. The End of the Tour-John Henry---Sad story evokes a strong >emotional >response. >2. Rhythm Section Want Ad-They Might be Giants---Possibly Their best >song? >3. The Bells Are Ringing-Factory Showroom---Fantastic song about >brainwashing. >4. Son of God-Lincoln---I don't know why I'm writing summaries, >because >you've all probably heard all these hundreds of times, too. >5. Road Movie to Berlin-Flood >6. Space Suit-Apollo 18 My favorite album ending is by far Road Movie To Berlin from Flood, and then The Bells Are Ringing from Factory Showroom. And for those of you who don't think Flood id as great as the others, I strongly disagree. While it is probably the wackiest of them all, I think it is genious. I can't really describe why, but it is such a trip listening to it. Although I do admit that Floodies are annoying. But I appreciate it of course for the whole album, not just the sing-alongers. Also, End Of The Tour isn't the only one that sparks emotion in me. In fact, almost everything by Them does for me. You know the feeling, goosebumps, shivers, occasionally even tears.. maybe it's just me. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-126 ******************************