Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-128 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 128 Friday, 9 May 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: FAQ / Hell / Instrumental / The Thingy / Older TMBG: NYC TMBG: Next single? TMBG: Gold Lame Re: TMBG: complaints.... freeks Re: TMBG: Re: Whoa!) Re: TMBG: solo project crossovers Re: TMBG: argh! Re: TMBG: BMG Typo! TMBG: birdhouse sheetmusic TMBG: End of the Tour/Elina Lowensohn TMBG: The pain..... Re: TMBG: Next single? TMBG: DAS TMBG: knowledge TMBG: Re Flans Horrorscope! TMBG: Just wondering Re: TMBG: BMG Typo! Re: A.M.TMBG: Stupid Question? TMBG: Countless Screaming Argonauts Re: TMBG: Album endings Re: TMBG: Birtday Flans Fans TMBG:DQ ad Re: TMBG: album endings TMBG: UK Tour Dates TMBG: guitar Re: TMBG: hotel guitar TMBG: Re: Whoa!) TMBG: SORRY!!! geez...i didn't want to start a thread... TMBG: Story TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-127 TMBG: another story Re: TMBG: album endings Re: TMBG: emotive responses TMBG: Stompbox Re: TMBG: emotive responses Re: TMBG: Worst songs (Re:Whoa!) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199705080042.TAA27048@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 19:44:03 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: FAQ / Hell / Instrumental / The Thingy / Older for the last (hopefully) time, the tracks on the kit kat thing are (and all live): James K. Polk How Can I Sing Like A Girl Your Own Worst Enemy Older New York City Ana Ng At 03:39 PM 5/7/97 -0400, you wrote: >If so (not), which one is the Real Studio Version, and what IS the other >one? And one more thing.... What tracks are on The KitKat Acoustic Thing ?? > >-ec > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "prick your finger it is done... Entertainment Writer | the moon has now eclipsed the sun... Madison Student Radio | the angel has spread his wings... gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | the time has come for bitter things..." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac| --Brian Warner * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705080045.AA06282@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: NYC Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 20:45:22 -0400 (EDT) Did Monopuff play NYC in concert (in Washington, DC)? I can't even remember? I had no idea that it was supposed to be a Monopuff song. Who else did it..the Eric-Brian group and the Dan-Graham group? My memory is so faulty. /Matt -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 20:35:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705080035.UAA11779@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: TMBG: Next single? Next Single?!!!!!!!Is it not obvious?!!!!!They'll release Till My Head Falls Off, everyone will like it, it will get lots and lots of radio air time, everyone will buy all their albums and become huge fans, and they will be appointed co-kings of the world!!!!!!!! Okay, so that was an exaggeration, but it would make the best single, if they are going to release another single off of FS. Marty ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 7 May 97 20:09 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: Gold Lame I was paging through a book on the history of rock n' roll, and I found a photo that cracked me up. The caption: "Phil Ochs in gold lame suit." He was wearing a shiny gold suit. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 21:07:24 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: complaints.... freeks Message-ID: I think telling people listing all the beginning and ending songs is just fine. I give a BOOTY MONGER. If it's not to the interests of the list entire then I'll stop the conversations about favorites and least favorites, but I think there are more people on this list who are more interested than irritated by it. I don't want to start an arguement, so until I have someone agree with me I'll keep my mouth shut about things other than the essentials. I really do love being on a list that's as busy as this one. It shows that Giant fans are a bunch of nice, talkative people. But others might see it differently...... Mark On Wed, 7 May 1997, I have no Name wrote: > hey all, > okay i just have one thing to say, which doesn;t mean you have to agree > with me or payy any attention to this but, i think that when we have > people posting about which albums they like the best and then which songs > they think 'suck' and which ones are totally rockin.... well, i think > that those posts are WORSE than the 'me too' posts. > see here's the thing: NO ONE GIVES A BOOTY MONGER about which album you > like or which songs you like best. i especially don't like it when you > all say that songs suck cuz well, i think that they all rock with the > exception of abou ttwo (which i just don't like, they definately DO NOT > suck). > > oh well, here's the FREEKY story of the day: > i walk into my chemistry class today (i 'accidentaly' missed it > yesterday) and this guy says "do you know who's birthday it was > yesterday?" i of course said flans' and he's like "i dunno, one of those > TMBG guys" i was just slightly frightened that he knew that and now he > refuses to tell me HOW he found out. oh well. steve... if you are on > the list i reeeeely don't think your mind games are funny >=) > > 'thirteen shiny new songs...' > love, JOrdaN > ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Whoa!) Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 22:10:08 EST Message-Id: <199705080210.7946400@cyberia.com> I like DMG and Stompbox. I think this is again just a song that is discriminated against. The cool thing about TMBG is that they like to try many different styles like in this song!! >Well, to each his own. I don't really like DMG either. Do you like >stompbox?? It is sort of the same thing as DMG (plain and loud). >Josh Nielsen >P.S. Thank you for replying > >On Tue, 6 May 1997 18:13:06 -0400 (EDT) Yoel97@aol.com writes: >>In a message dated 97-05-05 23:49:35 EDT, jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua >>D >>Nielsen) writes: >> >><< I disagree. Sapphire Bullets is their worst song. >> >> >>I happen to like SB(Sap. Bul.) It is calm and relaxing and I enjoy >>listening >>to it when I'm tired or stressed. However, I don't care much for Dig >>My >>Grave. I don't see any meaning to it and it's just plain....loud, and >>those >>who know me know that I don't like loud stuff (ie Chainsaw Kittens >>(2/21 IP >>Show) ) >> >>Joel >>Daily Screw-up on name of TMBG: They Would Like Gold --(school person) >> >> > ------------------------------ From: yoda@dnc.net (Brandon Rieke) Subject: Re: TMBG: solo project crossovers Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 16:50:34 -0700 Message-ID: <19970508235454105.AAA98@germany.dnc.net> Yeah, a lot of my friends hate John Henery but I love it ---------- > From: Wilson Dorward > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Nicole the Wonder Nerd > Subject: Re: TMBG: solo project crossovers > Date: Monday, May 05, 1997 4:53 PM > > > I, for one, affirm and maintain that Out Of Jail is a genuinely kick-ass > > song. Why it doesn't show up on more people's favorites list is a mystery > > to me. :) > I agree. It's got a good story to the lyrics if you look at those > things and I like the music also. > I think its another one of those anti-John Henry things. I don't see > what's so bad about Henry...... Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337268FE.7EF5@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 16:59:58 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: argh! > I went to the addict.com page featuring John Flansburgh on his birthday. > To my dismay they spelled Flansburgh wrong also! Forgot that 'h', why > does everyone forget that? They also said TMBG's music was "geek pop". > Oh well. Strangely, they said Factory Showroom had no single released, > there was no mention of SEXXY. Very odd. > /Matt Hmmm... obviuosly non-fans. At least they didn't use the Q word. -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33726A15.7626@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 17:04:37 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: BMG Typo! > They Might Be Giants: Factory Showroom > Sexxy, New York City, James K. Polk, > I Can Hear You, XTC vs. Atom Ant, > more. Elektra > D $4.99 C $3.49 > > Now, can you point out the errors? Sexxy isnt S-E-X-X-Y but more importantly > - ATOM ANT?! Maybe they were stuck on Particle Man. Whoa... my CD player just skipped on Cage and Aquarium... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 May 97 20:15:34 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: birdhouse sheetmusic Message-Id: <970508.201629.EDT.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> hi all! the birdhouse sheetmusic has all been mailed!!! i got all the copies from the copier today and mailed them out this am, so they should all be arriving very soon in a mailbox near you! :D may They be with you! :) peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705080111.AA06310@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: End of the Tour/Elina Lowensohn Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 21:11:39 -0400 (EDT) Hi all, I wanted to mention that I saw a movie on Showtime recently (I think it was a 1997 film) with Elina Lowensohn in it and I think she is in a Jewish family during WWII, possibly in Nazi Germany. I cannot remember the title of the film for the life of me but it looked pretty good. I think it might have been a Showtime original film too, but I'm not 100% sure about that. To the guy who made an .mp2 of End of the Tour for the We Might Be Giants, Too compilation, why can't I play this with my .mp3 player? I mean, isn't it downward compatible? Is there an .mp2 player I can download to play it? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. /Matt -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: The pain..... Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 20:29:02 -0500 Message-ID: <19970509012901392.AAA344@ppp174.baraboo.com> NO!!! I take Then: The Earlier Years disc 2 out of the CD player for 5 minutes and set it out not in the case, and then as i'm picking it up to put it back in, a casette lands on it putting a crack in tracks 17-23! I cant stand it! Some tracks dont play, then the cd ejects, others skip every half xsecond, creating some rather interesting effects - like the nonstop repeating in kiss me son of god "And and and and anananananananana the worldldldldldldldldldldl singgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgs kisme-e-e-e-e-e-e-e son-n-n-n-n-n of god-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d, and never ends. I am mad. Anyone wanna trade a cracked disk 2 for a real disk 2? i'll throw in shipping and 10 bucks. Boy this sucks. I'm in the process of slowly torturing the tape that landed on it right nowalthough it suffered the damage of a cracked case. -Wyatt. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 21:39:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: Next single? Message-ID: Hey/hay, Just in case I didn't report this when it happened six months ago, I heard TMHFO on our college station in December. It *is* Their next single, and don't any of you forget it! I'm sorry if I'm being snappy. I'm having possibly the worst day of my life, so you must forgive any faux pas's I make tonight. Thank you. Elitza On Wed, 7 May 1997, Marty Tomlinson wrote: > Next Single?!!!!!!!Is it not obvious?!!!!!They'll release Till My Head Falls > Off, everyone will like it, it will get lots and lots of radio air time, ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705090144.UAA13872@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 20:45:20 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: DAS does anyone know what the DAS is right now, i recognized it, but couldn't place it... geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "prick your finger it is done... Entertainment Writer | the moon has now eclipsed the sun... Madison Student Radio | the angel has spread his wings... gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | the time has come for bitter things..." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac| --Brian Warner * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 21:48:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705090148.VAA07577@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: TMBG: knowledge Hey all, To anybody who says that They don't help us in our search for knowledge, I have a small story: When I took the SAT on March 15, there were (no kidding) four math problems dealing with palindromes. I didn't think much of it till afterwards when I talked to several friends who didn't know what palindromes are. I thought how I knew that, and I came up with track 2 on Apollo 18!!!!! Thanks to the twin quasars of rock(and a little help from my teachers), I 1320d the SAT!!!! So if anybody says that They are "stupid", I have die hard evidence to the contrary. Marty ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 12:47:16 +0100 Message-Id: <97050812471537@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: Re Flans Horrorscope! fact Yes Flans is Taurian and Yes it would be cool- we know what you mean But since Linnell is a gemini Watch Out they are two faced y'know you just have to look at him to see that shifty look in his eye ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705081318.XAA05350@hurricane.netspace.net.au> From: "Robyn Bowman" Subject: TMBG: Just wondering Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 22:47:33 +1000 Does anyone know if John and John ever read this list? Just wondering. Robyn in Australia ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 23:31:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: BMG Typo! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-May-97 TMBG: BMG Typo! by Wyatt Glodell@baraboo.co > Now, can you point out the errors? Sexxy isnt S-E-X-X-Y but more importantly actually, they spelled it "Sexxxy," which is actually a lot funnier if you go with the XXY chromosome interpretation... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 16:12:24 PST Subject: Re: A.M.TMBG: Stupid Question? Message-ID: <19970508.164218.15870.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) John Henry was the black guy who beat the machine at driving railroad spikes. He died right after he won. I don't know if this is a tall tale or not. I think it is, because then it would be public domain, and could name the album that and not get sued. Josh Nielsen On Tue, 6 May 1997 21:37:32 GMT Ming writes: >Is this a stupid question? > >Who or what is John Henry? > >Thats it. Bye for now! > >Mingster > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705080344.WAA15386@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Countless Screaming Argonauts Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 23:34:07 -0500 You know, when they featured JASON on HERCULES: THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS some time ago, they could've slipped in Birdhouse just for fun at some point. Thank God they didn't! :) Visit The Zu at http://members.aol.com/zucorp/zupage.htm Because I know the cartoonist and he gave me a Birdhouse In Your Soul Reference today! ^_^ (Poor, Poor, Floodie!) Mike "The Don King Of Cartoons" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 22:00:55 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Album endings Message-ID: <19970507.221936.4486.5.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I have a stupid question. When you say "The pink CD", do you mean their first, self-titled, LP release in 1986(?)? Josh Nielsen On Wed, 07 May 1997 16:18:29 -0400 wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) writes: >And for those of you >> who don't think Flood id as great as the others, I strongly >disagree. >> While it is probably the wackiest of them all, I think it is >genious. I >> can't really describe why, but it is such a trip listening to it. >No way is Flood the "wackiest". The Pink CD and Apollo are "wackier" >by >far. Eric > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Birtday Flans Fans Message-ID: <19970507.215702.3766.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 21:54:52 EDT On Tue, 6 May 1997 22:29:05 -0500 "Mike Leffel" writes: > > >Someone said that it was John's B-day, and since I had >one on the 1st of May (yay. I'm 20. Kill me) I know that >John is a Taurus. If any of you people know, is Linnell >an aquarius? That would be cool, if you know what I'm >talking about. > Actually, Linnell is a Gemini (like me;-). His 38th birthday is coming up on June 12th. Does anyone know if They've ever played on either of Their birthdays? Also, what are some of you guys' favorite quotes of Them? Jen ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33713CDE.6454@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 21:39:27 -0500 From: Merendino Cortese Organization: This Robot Thing of Ours Subject: TMBG:DQ ad just a note, I just saw Dairy Queen's new ad for thier Kid's Pick-Nic meal, the toy is a 4 set of Tiny Toons cups with charaters on the top, one with Plucky Duck, and they had little clips for each charachter, anyway the little 1 or 2 second clip for Plucky was from the Particle man video on TT. justa little TMBG tidbit -- Merendino Cortese TheDon@pulp-fiction.com--www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ Merendino@thepentagon.com merendino@geocities.com mattm@mixcom.com 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week --- " If the shoe fits... " (Tastey Cement Services) --- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 20:57:31 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings Message-ID: I like Dig My Grave, but when I try to say which one is the worst I just have to cry. If I don't love it, I like it. It doesn't go down any further from there. How would the rest of you rank these songs? Mark On Wed, 7 May 1997, Marty Tomlinson wrote: > >and for first songs.... > >1. Subliminal > >2. Everything Right Is Wrong Again > >3. S-E-X-X-Y > >4. Ana Ng > >5. Theme From Flood > >6. Dig My Grave > > > >Well, that was fun. > >~Mark, > > > NO!NO!NO! You've got it all wrong!(just kidding) It's like this: > > 1. Ana Ng > 2. Subliminal > 3. Everything Right is Wrong Again > 4. Theme from Flood > 5. S-E-X-X-Y > 6. Dig My Grave (Their worst song?) > > Marty > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 13:17:43 +0100 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark Iles) Subject: TMBG: UK Tour Dates What's happened to the tour dates on their web page? They haven't been updated for ages. They must be coming to the UK soon... but when? I demand to know. Mark __________________________________________________________________________ Look, I've got an exciting new pretentious quote. And this time it's in French for double the ponciness: "Il n'y a rien de plus vrai que le souffle" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: +44 (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Ashley Wing, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 20:36:31 CST Subject: TMBG: guitar Message-ID: <48FCB0E5C@athena.valpo.edu> the guitar i was referring to was the square one. did i already reply to that? i forgot. oh, not to bring in a lot of non-tmbg stuff, but i was listening to another band that listies might dig--the kabalas. they're a hepcat foursome made of two accordionists, one who sings, a saxist who plays tenor and soprano, and a drummer. they do goofy stuff like "wal-mart polka," and bunzuvsteil polka," (say that one aloud if you don't get it) as well as "deli detective," and some traditional jewish klezmer. they're more of a novelty band than tmbg, but still a lot of fun. i could see the kabalas easily opening for tmbg. ta. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 21:54:26 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: hotel guitar Message-ID: <19970507.221936.4486.3.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Flansy was in Guitar Magazine ??? I've got to have it. How old is it?? Josh Nielsen "I can hear the guitar..." -TMBG On Wed, 7 May 1997 15:03:55 -0500 (EST) Queen Sneepy writes: >On Wed, 7 May 1997, Mr. Me wrote: > >> because i'm also a guitar buff...does anybody know what kind of >> guitar flans is playing in the hotel detective video? it's a >strange >> squareish body guitar. any other info on the ax would be helpful >too. >> >Is it the yellowish one or the red square one? If its the gold one, >then >its his custom-made Mojo guitar. That, right there, is the sum total >of >my guitar knowledge. Thank you and good night! > >(BTW, if you care, I got the knowledge from that nifty, and funny, >article that Flansy wrote for Guitar Magazine. I felt like such a >poser >reading that- I know nothing about guitars! But I do about Flansy. >Trade off? I don't think so.) > >________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu ><________ > > *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* > > And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: > http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html > > > TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC >= Fun! > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 22:07:41 PST Subject: TMBG: Re: Whoa!) Message-ID: <19970507.221936.4486.6.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I like Stombox too. It seems so out of place on the album. But I always thought he screamed OUT at the very end. I could be wrong. To clear up all misunderstanding, I love Stombox, and DMG is a good song, just not their best. Josh Nielsen "Free the demon, hear the ceaseless screaming..." -TMBG On Wed, 7 May 1997 17:35:03 -0500 elleng@massart.edu (ellen g.) writes: >Huh... Stompbox is one of my TMBG absolute favorite songs... because >it's >loud, because it's not like the rest of their stuff, because it's on >John >Henry, which I adore, because it's before another of my fav songs. >(End of >the Tour) I also enjoy yelling out "Kill, kill kill kill kill me now, >FREE >the demon with it's cealess screaming, and the stompbox tearing from >my >heart! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" at random moments. >Sorta like the big whistle in Nightgown of the Sullen Moon. >Dig my grave could go either way. I have a wierd relationship >(compared to >other TMBG albums) with Apollo 18 because I owned 2 years before >hearing >any other albums (Flood) and 4 years before getting all the others. I >was >obsessed with it, and can't categorize it with another TMBG albums. >-ellen > > "What is the function of the artist?" >"The function of the artist, is to provide what life does not." >-Tom Robbins, Another Roadside Attraction >************************************** >Visit Eclectic Ellen G's Website, presently being revamped! >http://www.tiac.net/users/gersh/ellen.htm > ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: SORRY!!! geez...i didn't want to start a thread... Message-ID: <19970507.212339.3310.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 23:24:06 EDT allright, i have recieved numerous messages about my last post and all i have to say is i'm sorry!!! i decided not to post on it again seeing as how i didn't want to start a thread but, this particular message got to me: Darling, what are we supposed to talk about then? This is a discussion list; we discuss things. I personally love hearing about why different ppl like songs for different reasons. Sometimes it gives me a whole new perspective on a song I'd never liked before. it's all good and fine when people explain _why_ they like the friggin songs and why they don't. and why they like certain cd's better than other ones. sure, it allows us to see some of these from a different perspective that we may never have been able to before. It's when the people will post things liek "i think flood is the best album" and that is the whole post or "i think flood is the worst album" it's at times liek this that i just have to say, "NO ONE GIVES A BOOTY MONGER!!!!" i feel that these add absolute;ly nothing ot the discussion except encourage other people to post "me too" messages but they don't think that they are me too messages cuz they changed it to "i think that the pink album is the best" comprendez-vous??? "They Might Be Giants love making music, but not just the imaginative new sound they make in their numerous live concerts, television or radio appearances. In tehse brand new recordings, They Might Be Giants bring you the color, the grandeur, and the warmth of the music of the past." love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 16:22:05 PST Subject: TMBG: Story Message-ID: <19970508.164218.15870.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) This is a cool thing that happened to me today. I was sitting in my first period auto class, when my teacher handed me back something. He said: "Is this yours?" he said. "Yes." I replied. "Okay, I just need your JOHN HENRY on it." It was really cool. I know he meant to say John Handcock, but it was exciting all the same. It would have been more so if the assignment was about thermostats. Just thought I'd share. Josh Nielsen "There's a thermostat that regulates the temperature that might not be reliable that should be disconnected" -Thermostat FFrom owner-tmbg-list Thu May 8 19:51:13 1997 Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id TAA28104 for owner-tmbg-list; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:51:11 -0400 Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:51:11 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-list Message-Id: <199705082351.TAA28104@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: owner-tmbg-list Subject: BOUNCE tmbg-list: Approval required >From tmbg-list-owner Thu May 8 19:51:04 1997 Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id TAA27878 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:43:22 -0400 Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 19:49:13 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <33726679.728B@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Food Lyrics My silly friend Vanessa(not a real TMBG fan but being quickly converted, she loves Ana Ng) thought Don't Let Start was called Donut Shop. I was wondering if anyone had any zany stories like that or could think of any cool food titles or lyrics. For example, "The best thing about New York City is herbal tea", says the Majestic Moose Bye, Vera "Now I'd walk through blizzards just to get us back together"-Cub"NYC" rom MAILER-DAEMON Thu May 8 19:51:14 1997 Return-Path: MAILER-DAEMON Received: from localhost (localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with internal id TAA28096; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:51:13 -0400 Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:51:13 -0400 From: Mail Delivery Subsystem Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1 Message-Id: <199705082351.TAA28096@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: tmbg-list-owner Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) The original message was received at Thu, 8 May 1997 19:43:22 -0400 from news@localhost ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'" (expanded from: tmbg-list@tmbg.org) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 554 "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'"... unknown mailer error 1 ----- Original message follows ----- Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id TAA27878 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:43:22 -0400 Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 19:49:13 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <33726679.728B@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Food Lyrics My silly friend Vanessa(not a real TMBG fan but being quickly converted, she loves Ana Ng) thought Don't Let Start was called Donut Shop. I was wondering if anyone had any zany stories like that or could think of any cool food titles or lyrics. For example, "The best thing about New York City is herbal tea", says the Majestic Moose Bye, Vera "Now I'd walk through blizzards just to get us back together"-Cub"NYC" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 18:15:29 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199705082315.SAA19751@ellis.uchicago.edu> From: May Anna Schaeffer Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-127 I keep hearing people refer to THE tiny toons episode that had a TMBG song on it. I seem to remember that there were two episodes that used two different songs. Which one are people referring to, the one which used Istanbul, or the one that used Particle Man? May "If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you." -----They Might Be Giants FFrom owner-tmbg-list Thu May 8 19:21:24 1997 Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id TAA27477 for owner-tmbg-list; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:23 -0400 Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:23 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-list Message-Id: <199705082321.TAA27477@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: owner-tmbg-list Subject: BOUNCE tmbg-list: Approval required >From tmbg-list-owner Thu May 8 19:21:16 1997 Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id TAA27272 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:15:47 -0400 Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 19:21:40 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <33726003.A79@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Their quotes For Jen my favorite quotes from Them are from the April 19 show in Baltimore where Flans asked everyone to give a hand for the air conditioning{It wasn't on) and at the same show he titled Christy, Moose, and myself as "relatives of Vanna White" for displaying the confetti canon for Linnell.Sigh Bye, Vera "You said it's snowing it's snowing God I hate this weather"-Cub"NYC" rom MAILER-DAEMON Thu May 8 19:21:24 1997 Return-Path: MAILER-DAEMON Received: from localhost (localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with internal id TAA27448; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:24 -0400 Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:24 -0400 From: Mail Delivery Subsystem Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1 Message-Id: <199705082321.TAA27448@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: tmbg-list-owner Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) The original message was received at Thu, 8 May 1997 19:15:47 -0400 from news@localhost ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'" (expanded from: tmbg-list@tmbg.org) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 554 "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'"... unknown mailer error 1 ----- Original message follows ----- Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id TAA27272 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:15:47 -0400 Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 19:21:40 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <33726003.A79@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Their quotes For Jen my favorite quotes from Them are from the April 19 show in Baltimore where Flans asked everyone to give a hand for the air conditioning{It wasn't on) and at the same show he titled Christy, Moose, and myself as "relatives of Vanna White" for displaying the confetti canon for Linnell.Sigh Bye, Vera "You said it's snowing it's snowing God I hate this weather"-Cub"NYC" ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: another story Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 22:28:15 EST Message-Id: <199705080228.7959000@cyberia.com> Ok... My Frau in German class has heard me talk about They Might Be Giants in my many skits(called, by the way, Ja Bitte). By the way, Eric, another person on this list and They Might Be Giants fan, is also in these skits and can vow for this story. Anywho, our frau tries to make fun of us. She talks about the band we like(which she has never heard by the way), and can never get their name right. She's called them There may be giants, they may be giants, there might be giants, anything your could think of really. Everytime she messes up, all I can do is laugh. It reminds me so much of the telephone call to DAS on Misc. T. It is SOOOOOO funny. Steve FFrom owner-tmbg-list Wed May 7 22:31:14 1997 Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id WAA04816 for owner-tmbg-list; Wed, 7 May 1997 22:31:13 -0400 Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 22:31:13 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-list Message-Id: <199705080231.WAA04816@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: owner-tmbg-list Subject: BOUNCE tmbg-list: Approval required >From tmbg-list-owner Wed May 7 22:31:04 1997 Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id WAA04738 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 7 May 1997 22:28:13 -0400 Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 22:34:04 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <33713B9C.7FD5@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: hi everyone Hello I'm new here. You may have already read about me in Christy's postings on the April 18 and 19th shows in Baltimore. I'm the "new kid" Vera. I'm also Moose's friend. I know this is a bit outdated (sorry I wasn't home) but if anyone has any questions about the events Christy described I'd be glad to answer them. Plus I have somewhat of an inside scoop on the OMLTs seeing as how I see Christy everyday. I know that she needs at least half the money in advance and the design on disk so it may be a while. The design is way awesome(guitar solo). Hope to hear from you all Bye, Vera "I called you last night on the telephone, I was glad to hear from you cause I was all alone"-Cub "New York City" rom MAILER-DAEMON Wed May 7 22:31:15 1997 Return-Path: MAILER-DAEMON Received: from localhost (localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with internal id WAA04807; Wed, 7 May 1997 22:31:15 -0400 Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 22:31:15 -0400 From: Mail Delivery Subsystem Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1 Message-Id: <199705080231.WAA04807@ussodyssey.ufp.org> To: tmbg-list-owner Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) The original message was received at Wed, 7 May 1997 22:28:13 -0400 from news@localhost ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'" (expanded from: tmbg-list@tmbg.org) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 554 "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'"... unknown mailer error 1 ----- Original message follows ----- Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id WAA04738 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 7 May 1997 22:28:13 -0400 Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 22:34:04 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <33713B9C.7FD5@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: hi everyone Hello I'm new here. You may have already read about me in Christy's postings on the April 18 and 19th shows in Baltimore. I'm the "new kid" Vera. I'm also Moose's friend. I know this is a bit outdated (sorry I wasn't home) but if anyone has any questions about the events Christy described I'd be glad to answer them. Plus I have somewhat of an inside scoop on the OMLTs seeing as how I see Christy everyday. I know that she needs at least half the money in advance and the design on disk so it may be a while. The design is way awesome(guitar solo). Hope to hear from you all Bye, Vera "I called you last night on the telephone, I was glad to hear from you cause I was all alone"-Cub "New York City" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 20:26:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705080026.UAA10821@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings >and for first songs.... >1. Subliminal >2. Everything Right Is Wrong Again >3. S-E-X-X-Y >4. Ana Ng >5. Theme From Flood >6. Dig My Grave > >Well, that was fun. >~Mark, > NO!NO!NO! You've got it all wrong!(just kidding) It's like this: 1. Ana Ng 2. Subliminal 3. Everything Right is Wrong Again 4. Theme from Flood 5. S-E-X-X-Y 6. Dig My Grave (Their worst song?) Marty ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705080039.TAA35334@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 19:40:34 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: emotive responses just so you know, "whirlpool" is a cover of the meat puppets song. At 03:45 PM 5/7/97 -0400, you wrote: >for NYC in a big way. i recently got the WDTSS single (oh, ok, EP) and i >really like "whirlpool," too; there's something very sad and wistful about * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "prick your finger it is done... Entertainment Writer | the moon has now eclipsed the sun... Madison Student Radio | the angel has spread his wings... gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | the time has come for bitter things..." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac| --Brian Warner * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705080035.AA06267@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Stompbox Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 20:35:03 -0400 (EDT) Almost wanted to say Stumpbox there... Back when John Henry came out They did indeed play Stompbox a couple of times. I remember at one concert (when my hair wasw a little longer) just jaming to this hardest-of-rock-songs TMBG has ever written. My hair was flying around, but I was dancing and slamming myself up and down so hard I thought my lungs would burst and my chest explode. Of course, it was standing room only so others were about jumping up and down and whatnot, it was totally invigorating and crazy. Just a massive energy leak there. I think it's a great song, better than Dig My Grave, even in that category (they seem to always play Dig My Grave these days). /Matt -- "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 7 May 97 20:04 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: emotive responses > >someone commented >about how "end of the tour" is one of the few songs that they react to >emotionally. i found that interesting b/c i didn't react to tmbg at all, >except on a "yeah, this is cool" level, until FS. Thanks Phil, for reminding me of some stuff. Yup, "How Can I Sing Like a Girl" also raises an emotional response in me, expecially when I listen to my Roch. bootleg and can hear everyone singing along. It creates a feeling of pride that the national anthem can't match. ;) Also, I was thinking about "I Should Be Allowed to Think" yesterday. This hasn't been one of my favorite songs in the past, because I found the music sort of repetitive. But I was reading the lyrics last night, writing them out for a pen pal of mine, and I came to realize that Linnell (it *is* Linny, right?) must've been pretty pissed when he wrote it. I mean, if you read the words, it's much more directly angry and emotional than the usual TMBG song. I mean, think about it: "I should be allowed to feel.." Wow... :) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 20:26:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705080026.UAA10815@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst songs (Re:Whoa!) >On Tue, 6 May 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > >> << I disagree. Sapphire Bullets is their worst song. >> >> >> I happen to like SB(Sap. Bul.) It is calm and relaxing and I enjoy listening >> >Guh...no one likes this song (well, you do, Joel.) Or so I feel. >Sapphire Bullets is a great song! So poigniant, so real...my favourite >line is "John, I've been bad and they're coming after me, done someone >wrong and I fear that it was me..." In fact, next to "Evil Twin," (The >Song in my book), it's my favourite. The end of Flood has some of the >best songs, in my opinion. I often feel with this album that people tend >to listen to the first half and then disregard the rest...or maybe not, >but "Sapphire Bullets", "Road Movie," "Hearing Aid" (seems no one likes >_that_ song either...) and "Letter Box," which is just so darned fun to >sing, tend to come out as people's least favourite songs. I'm not saying >the first half sucks or anything, but for me the album really gets going >with "Twisting" (I am _so_ glad they've started playing this in concert. >Or maybe they always have, I don't remember from my previous ones...) I agree (sort of). I think that the 2nd half of Flood is kinda forgotten. Three of my fav songs by Them are They Might be Giants, Hot Cha, and Women & Men. Flood is a very good album, despite all the abuse you people have been pouring on it. But then again, I don't care that much for JH, which seems to be everyone's fav album. Am I the only one on the list who thinks that They sounded better before they expanded to a full band? P.S. I know many of you like Ben Folds Five, and there is an interview with Ben Folds at my favorite site, The Onion. Read some of the articles, too. The address is: www.theonion.com Marty ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-128 ******************************