Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-129 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 129 Saturday, 10 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Tour Dates TMBG: Tribute album and Toddler Hiway Re: TMBG: album endings [Fwd: Re: TMBG: complaints.... freeks] Re: TMBG: Next single? Re: TMBG: Birtday Flans Fans Re: TMBG: another story TMBG: OKAY, OKAY TMBG: violent femmes TMBG: Skipping disk TMBG: John Henry TMBG: Thank you John & John TMBG: Oregon TMBG: Songs left off of Factory Showroom TMBG: morbid? TMBG: HHGTTG TMBG: Phil Ochs news! =) TMBG: TMBG and test answers Re: TMBG: emotive responses TMBG: Story TMBG: Recommendations TMBG: mag Re: TMBG: album endings TMBG: DAS currently Re: TMBG: NYC Re: TMBG: Birtday Flans Fans Re: TMBG: TMBG and test answers TMBG: Countless Screaming Argonauts Re: TMBG: album endings Re: TMBG: Oregon Re: A.M.TMBG: Stupid Question? TMBG: knowledge Re: TMBG: violent femmes TMBG: Johnus Henrius Re: TMBG: argh! TMBG: Next single Re: TMBG: hotel guitar TMBG: Purdue pictures: they're up! Re: TMBG: Wiggle Disk? Re: TMBG: knowledge TMBG: buh-bye for now Re: TMBG: Just wondering TMBG: parties/singles Re: TMBG: Next single? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-127 TMBG: CDs killed before their time... film at 11 Re: TMBG: Tour Dates Re: TMBG: Wiggle Disk? Re: TMBG: Purdue pictures: they're up! Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-127 Non-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers and HORDE!!! Re: TMBG: Songs left off of Factory Showroom TMBG: mod. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 19:33:06 +0100 (BST) From: Rounds boost lager Subject: TMBG: Tour Dates Message-ID: Don't let's start... It appears that the TMBG's so called world tour has ended. I have just looked at the tour info to discover the rather depressing news that there are no new tour dates. Full Stop. There are no dates on there at all. It seems the world tour has ended without involving Europe. How depressing, I was looking forward to getting a chance to see them live, dissapointment there for anyone who was waiting for them to come to their home town. Look on the bright side though, could mean that they've taken time off so they can record a new album. _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The Labour Party are currently in power. Derwent College May the Lord have mercy upon our souls. University of York Heslington NEW FLUMCAKE: Election Special On-Line now York http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake YO1 5DD ...This is the worst part _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705091925.PAA27054@sumter.awod.com> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 15:18:36 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Tribute album and Toddler Hiway From: ctyner@awod.com (Adam Tyner) Organization: http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ I updated my Toddler Hiway page at http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~ctyner/Bereft/TH/ I added an accordion track to my cover of TH for the tribute album, and I also added links to all of the tribute album songs that I know of that have clips on the WWW... Enjoy, and tell me what you think! -Adam Tyner -- /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 9 May 97 15:38 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings >3. Everything Right is Wrong Again Okay, I feel like an evil person, but I have to say I just don't like "everything" all that much. For some reason it grates on me. Actually, if I put the cd on shuffle and it's not the first song I hear, I like it. But when I'm going to listen to the album straight through, I prefer to skip it and hear "Puppet Head" first. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33738015.22A5@BlazeNet.net> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 15:50:45 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: [Fwd: Re: TMBG: complaints.... freeks] [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33738022.1254@BlazeNet.net> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 15:50:58 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: Next single? Marty Tomlinson wrote: > > Next Single?!!!!!!!Is it not obvious?!!!!!They'll release Till My Head Falls > Off, everyone will like it, it will get lots and lots of radio air time, > everyone will buy all their albums and become huge fans, and they will be > appointed co-kings of the world!!!!!!!! > > Okay, so that was an exaggeration, but it would make the best single, if > they are going to release another single off of FS. > > Marty Don't I wish..... I think it makes sense to release Till My Head Falls Off, seeing as how They played it on Viva Variety and saved it for last at the concert I went to (wow, that's brilliant marketing...) I'm not sure that they will release anything so soon since They just released Then. Well, maybe, I can't read the minds of TMBG or Elektra. Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337380E7.2ADD@BlazeNet.net> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 15:54:15 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: Birtday Flans Fans > Also, what are some of you guys' favorite quotes of > Them? My favorites are the bridge thing in Ana Ng and the pros/prose-poetry thing in Rhythm Section Want Ad. Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3373825B.4E32@BlazeNet.net> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 16:00:27 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: another story The Christ Family wrote: > > Ok... My Frau in German class has heard me talk about They Might Be Giants > in my many skits(called, by the way, Ja Bitte). By the way, Eric, another > person on this list and They Might Be Giants fan, is also in these skits and > can vow for this story. > Anywho, our frau tries to make fun of us. She talks about the band > we like(which she has never heard by the way), and can never get their name > right. She's called them There may be giants, they may be giants, there > might be giants, anything your could think of really. > Everytime she messes up, all I can do is laugh. It reminds me so > much of the telephone call to DAS on Misc. T. It is SOOOOOO funny. > > Steve It's true. The funny thing is that the other people try to make fun of our musical preferances and end up calling TMBG There May Be Giants too. They may be trying to make fun of us, but are making fool of themselves to us. Eric ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 16:03:22 -0500 (CDT) From: May Anna Schaeffer Subject: TMBG: OKAY, OKAY Message-ID: I have had more than enough messages telling me that I was wrong about the the Tiny Toons thing. I get the message, both songs were played during the same episode. Please, you all can stop bombarding my mailbox now, I know I was wrong. May "If you hear only one song this year there's something terribly wrong with you." --They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 16:18:53 -0500 (CDT) From: May Anna Schaeffer Subject: TMBG: violent femmes Message-ID: I've noticed that a lot of the people on this mailing list seem to have the same tastes in music. I was wondering if anyone out there, in addition to being a hardcore They Might Be Giants fan like myself, is also a hardcore Violent Femmes fan also like myself? Just a question, May "If you hear only one song this year there's something terribly wrong with you." --They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 17:20:38 -0500 (CDT) From: May Anna Schaeffer Subject: TMBG: Skipping disk Message-ID: Okay, here's the thing. Last Monday I purchased the two cd disk set. When I was listening to the second one this afternoon I was extremely pissed off to hear that it started skipping at the end of Ana Ng. Does anyone know what I can do about this, this is no fault of my own. May "If you hear only one song this year there's something terribly wrong with you." --They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 16:21:56 PST Subject: TMBG: John Henry Message-ID: <19970509.162232.8574.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Isn't it strange that on the cover of JH, the girl is holding a pick axe (or whatever it is), not a hammer. Hmmm. Anyway, what I wanted to say is I just got my very own copy of WDTSS. I'm very excited, but I think I like the JH version of Spy a little better. This version has the advantage of being a little more... unrefined. Does anyone else notice themes (i.e. coffee, copy shops, drinks, spirals, and such) in songs? Josh Nielsen "Without the sun... there'd be no you or me." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 20:31:05 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jennifer L. Geese" Subject: TMBG: Thank you John & John Message-Id: In a strange episode of coincidence, TMBG made my life, if not better, a little bit happier the other day. This is how it happened: I found a new website upon which one can play Jeopardy. I'm merrily playing along, answering questions right and left (and wrong) when all of a sudden, in the US History category the question: He was the first 'Dark Horse' came up. Not having a real solid idea, I answered the one that seemed most likely, James K. Polk. And it was correct, of course. I owe a great debt to TMBG, it seems. And now back to our regularly scheduled program. Jen "Life's like a jigsaw, you get the straight bits but there's something missing in the middle." XTC ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 20:45:33 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jennifer L. Geese" Subject: TMBG: Oregon Message-Id: > Today I decided (again) what my least favorite TMBG song is... James K. > Polk. Simply because they mispronounce the word Oregon. AND if they > pronounced it correctly, it would sound better in the meter of the song, > IMHO. Of course, I always forget about this until listening to JKP, and > then CRINGE when they get to that line. > michelle I just have to ask: what way do you pronounce Oregon? Here in Michigan, the way they pronounce it is the same thing we say. I had to stop and listen again, because I didn't think I had noticed it before. Jen "Life's like a firework, you're only lit once and you must stand and recreate correctly." - XTC ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970509204714.0068bbd0@awod.com> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 20:47:17 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Songs left off of Factory Showroom >From http://www.2launch.com/giants.html: "Well, that's a good question," says Flansburgh. "This record is pretty edited--we recorded 22 songs and put 13 on it. Some of the songs we left off are truly second-rate songs, but a lot of them are actually first-rate songs. In a lot of cases, whenever we make those kind of choices (to leave off a song), it's usually because it's most like some other song. I think 'Spiraling Shape' seemed like a more successful recording, and there are more songs like 'SenSurround' on the record." I've heard copies of *some* of the songs cut from FS, but I haven't heard 9 of 'em. Which other songs were recorded and not used? Aside from: Rat Patrol, They Got Lost, Reprehensible, Older, On The Drag, Counterfeit Faker, and Certain People I Could Name? Is Flans counting the unreleased songs from the Edison Studios sessions maybe? (shrug) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 23:23:30 -0400 From: antoneta.argiloff@utoronto.ca (Antoneta Argiloff) Subject: TMBG: morbid? Hey: Has any one else noticed the references to killing and death in Their songs? What's the deal with this? Is this intentional, or unconsciously done? I mean there's at least *one* reference per album: PINK: Youth culture killed my dog...his suicide can be justified.-yc killedmydog LINCOLN: Morticians wait with a shovel and a fork, as detectives trace my hands with chalk. -you'll miss me Misc T: Have no fear. You will be killed right away. -for science FLOOD: Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want -dead APOLLO 18: A man I had recently killed... -turn around JOHN HENRY: Kill, Kill, Kill, Kill me now -stomp box FACTORY SHOWROOM: Exquisite dead guy... -Edg I wonder if this trend will continue on the new album... X X -antoneta O ___ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 22:50:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: HHGTTG Message-ID: Hey/hay, I was just visiting one of the Hitchhiker's Guide sites when I happened across this occurence of the Ultimate Answer: *The song 'Minimum Wage' by They Might Be Giants is 42 seconds long. Now, for those of you who haven't read the trilogy/qurtet/quintet (whichever you choose to call it- there are actually 5 books, but it's still called a trilogy), go read it now. You heard me, NOW! Don't just sit there staring at your screen! Run over to your local B. Dalton where the _Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide_ (all five books, plus an extra short story) is on sale this very instant! Go NOW!!! GO NOW AND LEAVE MEEEEeeeeee.... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The thing's hollow- it goes on forever- and- oh my God! It's full of stars!" - 2001: A Space Odyssey ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 21:59:36 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: Phil Ochs news! =) Message-id: <01IIN4Q86PCY9USK6I@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGers! I just read a little snip (I think it was in Entertainment magazine) that said that a Phil Ochs box set is coming out sometime this summer! Pretty neat, I thought some of you might find that interesting - it's semi-TMBG related! =) sun and smiles cortney http://acedmic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3373A2CA.D6F@mail.netnitco.net> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 15:18:50 -0700 From: The Cowans Subject: TMBG: TMBG and test answers Well, on Wednesday I took the Engilsh Language AP and on of the questions dealt with how someone described their "fractured personality" so I quoted Them using "every jumbled pile of person." They songs do help for tests! Blink ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705091648.AA07557@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: emotive responses Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 12:48:01 -0400 (EDT) > >someone commented > >about how "end of the tour" is one of the few songs that they react to > >emotionally. i found that interesting b/c i didn't react to tmbg at all, > >except on a "yeah, this is cool" level, until FS. Wow..leading us on like that and then letting us hang. Why, sir, did FS strike your fancy in such a way? /Matt -- "True happiness lies beyond your fries and happy burgers." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 21:27:38 PST Subject: TMBG: Story Message-ID: <19970509.212958.10174.4.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Good news. I may have made a few fans of TMBG. I drive a girl who lives the in same town I do to our school, so naturally I subject her to TMBG. She said she really liked NYC because of the part "the best thing about New York City is you and me". She says it is sweet. I also have a friend who really likes Flood and FS, but doesn't like JH. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 21:29:13 PST Subject: TMBG: Recommendations Message-ID: <19970509.212958.10174.5.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) What songs would you guys suggest to someone who like things like Erasure, The Cure, Prodigy, U2, and Lushious Jackson? Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: mag Message-ID: <19970509.005054.8822.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 00:50:41 EDT Hey, did anyone else see the article about Them in Automobile Magazine? Sounds strange, doesn't it? It's about Their van, but has a lot of cool stuff about Them too. Check it out! -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 20:14:55 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings Message-ID: <19970508.201512.15726.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I prefer it more like this: 1. Sumbliminal 2. S-E-X-X-Y 3. Ana Ng 4. Dig My Grave 5. Everything Right Is Wrong Again 6. Theme from Flood Sorry. Josh Nielsen On Wed, 7 May 1997 20:26:50 -0400 (EDT) mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) writes: >1. Ana Ng >2. Subliminal >3. Everything Right is Wrong Again >4. Theme from Flood >5. S-E-X-X-Y >6. Dig My Grave (Their worst song?) > >Marty > ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: DAS currently Message-ID: <19970509.194702.3294.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 21:48:09 EDT yeah, i got nixon's the one in the afternoon yesterday and then something else late at night i really don't rmemeber these things... i think that now that they aren't on tour anymore they are changing hte song every hour or so and there really isn;t any way you can tell unless someone got through near the same time you did. we normally sing in a vocal frequency range well above the audible range of your puny little earth ears but i tell you something... you oughta bring your dogs and cats out here cuz they would love this show... love, JOrdaN >does anyone know what the DAS is right now, i recognized it, but couldn't >place it... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8nQcvXW00iVC8GaF5P@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 22:41:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: NYC Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-May-97 TMBG: NYC by Matthew James@greed.loyo > Did Monopuff play NYC in concert (in Washington, DC)? I can't even > remember? I had no idea that it was supposed to be a Monopuff song. > Who else did it..the Eric-Brian group and the Dan-Graham group? Yeah, they ended the show with it... (a really toned down version, too...) I've seen it performed by cub, Mono Puff, and TMBG (as long as John & John are both there, it's the same group). These are the only three groups that perform it - the one that wrote it is kind of an important one, too... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 22:47:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Birtday Flans Fans Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-May-97 Re: TMBG: Birtday Flans Fans by Jenifer W Stewart@juno.c > Actually, Linnell is a Gemini (like me;-). His 38th birthday is coming > up on June 12th. Does anyone know if They've ever played on either of > Their birthdays? Also, what are some of you guys' favorite quotes of > Them? They played a concert on May 6, 1990, and I think they played Happy Birthday to Flans at it... (it's on video somewhere, actually...) I saw them on June 7, 1996, which was about as close to Linnell's birthday I can remember them playing... we shouted many times for "It's Not My Birthday," to no avail... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 21:42:36 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and test answers Message-ID: <19970509.214623.4230.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) They Do!! On the AP US History test I took today, I mentioned something about Jimmy Polk. I even quoted They. Josh Nielsen On Fri, 09 May 1997 15:18:50 -0700 The Cowans writes: >Well, on Wednesday I took the Engilsh Language AP and on of the >questions dealt with how someone described their "fractured >personality" >so I quoted Them using "every jumbled pile of person." They songs do >help for tests! > >Blink > ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705091700.AA07599@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Countless Screaming Argonauts Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 13:00:32 -0400 (EDT) > You know, when they featured JASON on HERCULES: > THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS some time ago, they > could've slipped in Birdhouse just for fun at some point. > > Thank God they didn't! :) Hey, I actually saw this episode. That would have been funny with Birdhouse but I think Stompbox woulda been more fitting. "Kill kill kill me now!" Between the bad guys trying to kill him and the fellow argonauts possibly trying to kill him it mighta worked. Hmm maybe if they combined Stompbox and Birdhouse in your Soul....... *dream sequence...dodododododo* I'm your only *STOMP*friend, I'm not your only *STOMP*friend, but I'm a little glowing freed demons... hmmm that really stinks *dodododo END DREAM SEQUENCE* /Matt -- "True happiness lies beyond your fries and happy burgers." ------------------------------ From: Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 23:13:29 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings Message-ID: <1F28615225@athena.valpo.edu> so where does "subway token to brooklyn" fit in? it's technically the first song on factory, though it's not listed as such (it's the secret track you have to rewind on cd players to get). my only complaint with dig my grave is it should have been longer and louder, like stomp box. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 21:40:14 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Oregon Message-ID: <19970509.214016.10174.7.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Like Oragun. Josh Nielsen Newberg, OR P.S. Is anyone besides me from Oregon? On Fri, 9 May 1997 20:45:33 -0400 (EDT) "Jennifer L. Geese" writes: >I just have to ask: what way do you pronounce Oregon? Here in >Michigan, >the way they pronounce it is the same thing we say. I had to stop and > >listen again, because I didn't think I had noticed it before. > >Jen > >"Life's like a firework, you're only lit once and you must stand and >recreate correctly." - XTC > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 21:35:08 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: A.M.TMBG: Stupid Question? Message-ID: It's funny cause he died of a heart attack. HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! That's for overexerting yourself, STUPID!!!!! Actually, I do not feel this way. I feel sorry for him :( On Thu, 8 May 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > John Henry was the black guy who beat the machine at driving railroad > spikes. He died right after he won. I don't know if this is a tall tale > or not. I think it is, because then it would be public domain, and could > name the album that and not get sued. > Josh Nielsen > > On Tue, 6 May 1997 21:37:32 GMT Ming writes: > >Is this a stupid question? > > > >Who or what is John Henry? > > > >Thats it. Bye for now! > > > >Mingster > > > ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199705090332.XAA04427@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 8 May 1997 22:32:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: knowledge MM>Hey all, MM> To anybody who says that They don't help us in our search for MM>knowledge, I have a small story: MM>When I took the SAT on March 15, there were (no kidding) four math problems MM>dealing with palindromes. I didn't think much of it till afterwards when I MM>talked to several friends who didn't know what palindromes are. I thought MM>how I knew that, and I came up with track 2 on Apollo 18!!!!! Thanks to the MM>twin quasars of rock(and a little help from my teachers), I 1320d the MM>SAT!!!! So if anybody says that They are "stupid", I have die hard evidence MM>to the contrary. MM>Marty You're not alone in recieving help from Them on the SAT. I, too, knew of palindromes simply from that wonderful little song. James K. Polk has come in handy a time or two as well. Come to think of it, so has mammal. (Not to brag or anyhting, but I got a 1480 on the SAT, 740 math, 740 verbal). Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 21:34:36 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: violent femmes Message-ID: <19970509.214016.10174.6.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Don't feel bad. Although I have never heard VF, I like things like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Bush (some), and the Wallflowers. Josh Nielsen On Fri, 9 May 1997 16:18:53 -0500 (CDT) May Anna Schaeffer writes: > >I've noticed that a lot of the people on this mailing list seem to >have >the same tastes in music. I was wondering if anyone out there, in >addition to being a hardcore They Might Be Giants fan like myself, is >also >a hardcore Violent Femmes fan also like myself? > >Just a question, >May > >"If you hear only one song this year there's something terribly wrong >with you." --They Might Be Giants > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970510121745.006bbcdc@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 12:51:44 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Johnus Henrius >John Henry was the black guy who beat the machine at driving railroad >spikes. He died right after he won. I don't know if this is a tall tale >or not. I think it is, because then it would be public domain, and could >name the album that and not get sued. I always thought John Henry referred to your signature. Like, people say, "whack you;re John Henry right here and we'll be right", meaning sign on the dotted line, basically. Oh well, I guess we interpret things the way WE want to. Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & & http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ & &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970508215700.00f9bf80@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 21:57:00 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: argh! >> does everyone forget that? They also said TMBG's music was "geek pop". >> Oh well. Strangely, they said Factory Showroom had no single released, >Hmmm... obviuosly non-fans. At least they didn't use the Q word. Hey, I'm a fan (don't lets start this "True Fan" thing again), but I consider Them "geek pop". I like "geek pop", you must admit, they are "geekier" than most rock bands. That's why some of us like em more! (IE geek pop = witty lyrics, different instrumentation.) So what if the mainstream culture labels them "geek pop"! -ec (Anyone seen the Hanson video? What the hell?!? are they for real? Who let those kids in the studio! get outta here! damned kids....) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970509112112.00297278@email.uc.edu> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 11:21:13 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: TMBG: Next single [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 23:36:36 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: hotel guitar Message-ID: On Wed, 7 May 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > Flansy was in Guitar Magazine ??? I've got to have it. How old is it?? > Josh Nielsen > "I can hear the guitar..." -TMBG > Well, it was recent, and I simply cannot tell you what month, however. It was a great article, somethig about roadies, and it was mainly about touring. Also a nod to not leaving one's equipment unprotected, if I remember correctly. I think it may have been the January or February issue. I'm not sure, though. ________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <________ *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 00:49:53 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Purdue pictures: they're up! Message-ID: Well, after some labour, I have placed those pictures I took of the Purdue concert at: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/tmbg.html I would have put them up in table format, but I don't know how and aol's webbrowser was being recalcitrant. Oh, how I yearn for Netscape! Foul aol! Curses that I had to leave Netscape behind at school! I love ethernet! Ok, sorry, my rant is over. I'm just feeling the pain, oh yes, and it hurts. Anyhoo, the pics are ok, but there's an explanation at the top of the page. If anything is misspelled, remember, I don't care. ________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <________ *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 23:29:26 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Wiggle Disk? Message-ID: On Wed, 7 May 1997, Matthew James wrote: > What, pray tell, is the TMBG Wiggle Disk? > Thanks, > /Matt > It was, I believe, the medium of Their first single. A wiggle disk is this record like thing, but instead of being on stiff vinyl, it is instead on this floppy plastic stuff, usually square (well, the grooves go in a circle, of course)... Slightly off topic, does anyone know of/have the R.E.M. song that was released on a wiggle disk (see, keeping mildly on topic!) in Sassy Magazine about four million years ago? I just have to say that I love "The Dark Globe" so much...that is like the best song ever. ________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <________ *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 21:19:11 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: knowledge Message-ID: They helped me in astronomy when we were talking about the Sun. I was already acquainted with all the info. given in WDTSH?, and it was a good thing I knew it. Also, I've looked up some of the strange words They used in some of Their songs, and it has increased (Well, I don't actually SAY them.) my vocabulary. Just reinforcing a point. Mark On Thu, 8 May 1997, Marty Tomlinson wrote: > Hey all, > To anybody who says that They don't help us in our search for > knowledge, I have a small story: > > When I took the SAT on March 15, there were (no kidding) four math problems > dealing with palindromes. I didn't think much of it till afterwards when I > talked to several friends who didn't know what palindromes are. I thought > how I knew that, and I came up with track 2 on Apollo 18!!!!! Thanks to the > twin quasars of rock(and a little help from my teachers), I 1320d the > SAT!!!! So if anybody says that They are "stupid", I have die hard evidence > to the contrary. > > > Marty > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 03:22:29 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: buh-bye for now Message-ID: Just wanted to say bye to y'all before I pack up the 'puter and go home for the summer. Normally I'd have email access and it'd be no prob, but my school decided this year that they'd eliminate the modem pool, meaning that one has to actually pay money to a commercial service provider to access their "free" school account now (unless you're on campus, which I thankfully will not be after tomorrow). And, well, I'm a poor college student and can't bring myself to cough up the bucks. But anyway... In case anybody really cares, you can still e-mail me at ondine@tmbg.org or that ugly, unwieldy number address down there...I probably won't be checking my e-mail very much at all, but I might get a chance once in a while if I happen to be on campus. And I'll see you all again in August. Take care, everybody! --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 21:20:38 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Just wondering Message-ID: <1D4D6E196E@athena.valpo.edu> to quote the FAQ: Q:do They read the list/digest? A:no, if they were on it, they'd leave. most artist discussion lists i have been on do not house the artist under a penn name. and most of the artists in reference would be very nervous to find this much concentrated discussion happening with their music. til my head falls off...i figured it was their next single. they performed it live on Viva Variety, comedy central's new show with some members of the state from mtv. i have it taped. it's ok, but the tape is pretty lo fi. i don't have the equipment to dub though, i could go through the trouble for a trade of vids, but not until finals are over. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705090130.UAA02734@hp-131.cae.wisc.edu> Subject: TMBG: parties/singles Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 20:30:21 CDT From: Aaron Kohlbeck Hola all, Two things. First, my roommates and I are keeping with tradition and having a end of year party. Since I will be in charge of music, I plan on playing lots o' TMBG. Now my question is this: what TMBG works well at parties? I don't want people to be sitting around going "Huh, what the hell is this?" I want people to start dancing and carrying on before they realized that I've pulled a fast one on them and played some TMBG. I know from experience that Spiralling Shape does not work well. But what will? And, on the topic of TMBG singles, the next time someone posts that the used store down the road has like three copies of "The Guitar" I am going to scream. Really loud. Extrememly loud. So, if you know of a used place that has a copy of "The Guitar" and would be willing to pick it up for me, I would appreciate it tremendously. Or, if someone knows where I can get a copy myself, that would be as cool. Thanks for listening to my rants. Aaron, still does not have a place to live next year In the cd player: Monopuff "Unsupervised", The Kentucky Headhunters "Electric Barnyard", Beastie Boys "Ill Communication" -- Aaron Kohlbeck http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck "Hey man don't you know me better than that?" - Poe ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705090208.VAA88178@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 21:09:15 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Next single? just because something is played on a radio station does not mean that it is a single, especially on a college station. rev105 in minneapolis (not a commercial station(, before it went off the air a short time ago, was constantly playing the giants version of nyc, and that's not a single. the minneapolis college station always used to play whirlpool (from wdtss) in 94 and 95. it may be their next single, but there has been no documentation of this yet. geoff At 09:39 PM 5/8/97 -0400, you wrote: >Hey/hay, > Just in case I didn't report this when it happened six months ago, >I heard TMHFO on our college station in December. It *is* Their next >single, and don't any of you forget it! > >I'm sorry if I'm being snappy. I'm having possibly the worst day of my >life, so you must forgive any faux pas's I make tonight. Thank you. > >Elitza > >On Wed, 7 May 1997, Marty Tomlinson wrote: > >> Next Single?!!!!!!!Is it not obvious?!!!!!They'll release Till My Head Falls >> Off, everyone will like it, it will get lots and lots of radio air time, > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "prick your finger it is done... Entertainment Writer | the moon has now eclipsed the sun... Madison Student Radio | the angel has spread his wings... gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | the time has come for bitter things..." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac| --Brian Warner * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 20:15:08 PST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-127 Message-ID: <19970508.201512.15726.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Actually, I remember it quite clearly. Both song were on the same episode, and they were together. The thing that ticked me off was Buster said "Here's another one from They Might Be Giants. Who are these guys?" I was very mad. Oh well. Josh Nielsen P.S. Sorry about all the stuff at the end of my story. I had no idea it was there. On Thu, 8 May 1997 18:15:29 -0500 (CDT) May Anna Schaeffer writes: >I keep hearing people refer to THE tiny toons episode that had a TMBG >song >on it. I seem to remember that there were two episodes that used two >different songs. Which one are people referring to, the one which >used >Istanbul, or the one that used Particle Man? > >May > >"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong > >with you." > > > > -----They Might Be Giants > > >FFrom owner-tmbg-list Thu May 8 19:21:24 1997 >Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list >Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id >TAA27477 for owner-tmbg-list; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:23 -0400 >Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:23 -0400 >From: owner-tmbg-list >Message-Id: <199705082321.TAA27477@ussodyssey.ufp.org> >To: owner-tmbg-list >Subject: BOUNCE tmbg-list: Approval required > >>From tmbg-list-owner Thu May 8 19:21:16 1997 >Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id >TAA27272 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:15:47 -0400 >Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews > for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 19:21:40 -0400 >From: Player >Message-ID: <33726003.A79@haven.ios.com> >Organization: United Federation of Planets >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Their quotes > >For Jen my favorite quotes from Them are from the April 19 show in >Baltimore where Flans asked everyone to give a hand for the air >conditioning{It wasn't on) and at the same show he titled Christy, >Moose, and myself as "relatives of Vanna White" for displaying the >confetti canon for Linnell.Sigh > Bye, > Vera >"You said it's snowing it's snowing God I hate this weather"-Cub"NYC" > >rom MAILER-DAEMON Thu May 8 19:21:24 1997 >Return-Path: MAILER-DAEMON >Received: from localhost (localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org >(8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with internal id TAA27448; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:24 >-0400 >Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:24 -0400 >From: Mail Delivery Subsystem >Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1 >Message-Id: <199705082321.TAA27448@ussodyssey.ufp.org> >To: tmbg-list-owner >Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) > >The original message was received at Thu, 8 May 1997 19:15:47 -0400 >from news@localhost > > ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- >"|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o >'.t.m.b.g. .gateway'" > (expanded from: tmbg-list@tmbg.org) > > ----- Transcript of session follows ----- >554 "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o >'.t.m.b.g. .gateway'"... unknown mailer error 1 > > ----- Original message follows ----- > >Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id >TAA27272 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:15:47 -0400 >Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews > for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 19:21:40 -0400 >From: Player >Message-ID: <33726003.A79@haven.ios.com> >Organization: United Federation of Planets >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Their quotes > >For Jen my favorite quotes from Them are from the April 19 show in >Baltimore where Flans asked everyone to give a hand for the air >conditioning{It wasn't on) and at the same show he titled Christy, >Moose, and myself as "relatives of Vanna White" for displaying the >confetti canon for Linnell.Sigh > Bye, > Vera >"You said it's snowing it's snowing God I hate this weather"-Cub"NYC" > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970509023206.006b0d8c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 02:32:15 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: CDs killed before their time... film at 11 > NO!!! I take Then: The Earlier Years disc 2 out of the CD player for >5 minutes and set it out not in the case, and then as i'm picking it up to >put it back in, a casette lands on it putting a crack in tracks 17-23! I >cant stand it! Oy. Wyatt, I truly, honestly feel your pain. Remember what happened to my copy of Factory Showroom? The EXACT SAME THING. Ok, people, the tally of TMBG cds killed in senseless tragedies has risen to 2. The moral of Wyatt's story and mine is this: never never never never leave a cd that you care about lying around. Not even for a moment. When you take it out of the cd player, put it safely back into its case IMMEDIATELY. Think about how much it would suck if your beloved copy of _Factory Showroom_ or _Then:The Earlier Years_ (or, John forbid, a copy of an out-of-print single) was irrevocably damaged. >Thanks to the >twin quasars of rock(and a little help from my teachers), I 1320d the >SAT!!!! I snuck a TMBG quote into my AP English test last year, and got a 5. :) And on a physics quiz two weeks ago, my knowledge about the sun (specifically, the distance from the earth to the sun) was a tremendous help. And a friend of mine (fellow TMBG fan) was asked to identify and discuss James K. Polk on one of his history tests. He wrote the lyrics to James K. Polk and got full credit--and a note from the teacher scribbled in the margin: "Why is this in rhymed meter?" >Does anyone know if John and John ever read this list? Just wondering. Almost certainly not. I doubt they have the time or the inclination--they're not much into worship-seeking. Still, it's an interesting thought... I can just picture it: "Hey John! Get a load of the interp they came up with for !" "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Man, do these people need lives or what?" *nicole stops, thinks, and applies Pascal's Wager to the situation* John and John, if you're on here--I think you guys are the most amazing rock band in the history of the world. Please come back to Sacramento. >actually, they spelled it "Sexxxy," which is actually a lot funnier if >you go with the XXY chromosome interpretation... X, because it's extra, baby, X, because it's... um.. a two-for-one special, baby... >You know, when they featured JASON on HERCULES: >THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS some time ago, they >could've slipped in Birdhouse just for fun at some point. > >Thank God they didn't! :) What do you MEAN, thank God they didn't? I would have *loved* to see a TMBG ref in a Disney movie. That would have RULED. I would have gone to see it TWICE. >My silly friend Vanessa(not a real TMBG fan but being quickly converted, >she loves Ana Ng) thought Don't Let Start was called Donut Shop. I was >wondering if anyone had any zany stories like that or could think of any >cool food titles or lyrics. For example, "The best thing about New York >City is herbal tea", says the Majestic Moose "And lately she's been humming cheese songs..." "Orange sandwich bit my dog..." I will not even mention my friend Danielle, who insisted that the chorus to They'll Need A Crane was actually "Velveeta Train" until I showed her the lyric book. :) >I keep hearing people refer to THE tiny toons episode that had a TMBG song >on it. I seem to remember that there were two episodes that used two >different songs. Same episode--the MTV parody one. The two TMBG videos are on at the very beginning. >Yup, "How Can I Sing >Like a Girl" also raises an emotional response in me I have an extremely weird emotional reaction to HCISLAG?. I find it oddly comforting and soothing, for reasons I can't understand nor clearly express. >But then again, I don't care that much for JH, which seems >to be everyone's fav album. Not by a long shot. JH comes in and out of fashion on the list and ng. A spate of JH-bashing posts are usually followed by a bunch of JH-defending posts, after which the topic usually dies until the next "JH sux!" post appears. There really is no "everyone's fav album", although Lincoln comes closest. --nicole the wonder nerd "Wasn't that great? Let's hear another song by They Might Be Giants!" *pause* "Who ARE these guys?" --Buster Bunny *** "The cruelest lies are often told without a word. The kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." --Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 00:16:22 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Tour Dates Message-ID: Yes, that "World Tour" claim pissed me off. Long before they listed the tour dates on the website, they said that when it came pretty much everyone would be in or around one of Their stops. Do California and Texas not count? It's not fair!!!!! Anyway, I got Unsupervised in the mail Wednesday, and I think it's outstanding. I'd say they're as good as TMBG. This is a recurring theme. I seem to like the side projects of members from bands I like just as much as the band. (Faith No More and Mr. Bungle). Just thought I'd share that..... Mark On Fri, 9 May 1997, Rounds boost lager wrote: > Don't let's start... > > It appears that the TMBG's so called world tour has ended. I have just > looked at the tour info to discover the rather depressing news that there > are no new tour dates. Full Stop. There are no dates on there at all. It > seems the world tour has ended without involving Europe. How depressing, I > was looking forward to getting a chance to see them live, dissapointment > there for anyone who was waiting for them to come to their home town. > > Look on the bright side though, could mean that they've taken time off so > they can record a new album. > _______________________________________________________________________________ > > Douglas Robertson The Labour Party are currently in power. > Derwent College May the Lord have mercy upon our souls. > University of York > Heslington NEW FLUMCAKE: Election Special On-Line now > York http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake > YO1 5DD > ...This is the worst part > _______________________________________________________________________________ > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970510011442.006912a0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 01:14:50 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Wiggle Disk? At 11:29 PM 5/8/97 -0500, you wrote: > >It was, I believe, the medium of Their first single. A wiggle disk is >this record like thing, but instead of being on stiff vinyl, it is >instead on this floppy plastic stuff, usually square (well, the grooves >go in a circle, of course)... IIRC, Everything Right Is Wrong Again and You'll Miss Me are the songs on the wiggle disk (demo versions, of course...). TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705100431.XAA17193@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Purdue pictures: they're up! Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 00:22:41 -0500 > > Well, after some labour, I have placed those pictures I took of the > Purdue concert at: > http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/tmbg.html Well, I can't really make out THEY in those pictures, but I think I see the second gunman..... ^_^ Mike "In frame 332, we can see John Flansburgh standing in the grassy knoll.." Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705090300.WAA98074@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 22:01:31 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-127 they were both on the same episode. there were two music video episodes however, one with tmbg and one without. does anyone else get a kick out of the john characitures that they used on the tiny toons episode? i think that it was in istanbul, with plucky and hampton made to look like the johns. At 06:15 PM 5/8/97 -0500, you wrote: >I keep hearing people refer to THE tiny toons episode that had a TMBG song >on it. I seem to remember that there were two episodes that used two >different songs. Which one are people referring to, the one which used >Istanbul, or the one that used Particle Man? > >May > >"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong >with you." > > -----They Might Be Giants > >FFrom owner-tmbg-list Thu May 8 19:21:24 1997 >Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list >Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id TAA27477 for owner-tmbg-list; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:23 -0400 >Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:23 -0400 >From: owner-tmbg-list >Message-Id: <199705082321.TAA27477@ussodyssey.ufp.org> >To: owner-tmbg-list >Subject: BOUNCE tmbg-list: Approval required > >>From tmbg-list-owner Thu May 8 19:21:16 1997 >Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id TAA27272 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:15:47 -0400 >Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews > for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 19:21:40 -0400 >From: Player >Message-ID: <33726003.A79@haven.ios.com> >Organization: United Federation of Planets >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Their quotes > >For Jen my favorite quotes from Them are from the April 19 show in >Baltimore where Flans asked everyone to give a hand for the air >conditioning{It wasn't on) and at the same show he titled Christy, >Moose, and myself as "relatives of Vanna White" for displaying the >confetti canon for Linnell.Sigh > Bye, > Vera >"You said it's snowing it's snowing God I hate this weather"-Cub"NYC" > >rom MAILER-DAEMON Thu May 8 19:21:24 1997 >Return-Path: MAILER-DAEMON >Received: from localhost (localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with internal id TAA27448; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:24 -0400 >Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:21:24 -0400 >From: Mail Delivery Subsystem >Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1 >Message-Id: <199705082321.TAA27448@ussodyssey.ufp.org> >To: tmbg-list-owner >Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) > >The original message was received at Thu, 8 May 1997 19:15:47 -0400 >from news@localhost > > ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- >"|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'" > (expanded from: tmbg-list@tmbg.org) > > ----- Transcript of session follows ----- >554 "|/home/majordom/wrapper mail2news -n tmbg.list -d fromlist -o '.t.m.b.g. .gateway'"... unknown mailer error 1 > > ----- Original message follows ----- > >Return-Path: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Received: (news@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id TAA27272 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 May 1997 19:15:47 -0400 >Received: from GATEWAY by ussodyssey.ufp.org with netnews > for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 19:21:40 -0400 >From: Player >Message-ID: <33726003.A79@haven.ios.com> >Organization: United Federation of Planets >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Their quotes > >For Jen my favorite quotes from Them are from the April 19 show in >Baltimore where Flans asked everyone to give a hand for the air >conditioning{It wasn't on) and at the same show he titled Christy, >Moose, and myself as "relatives of Vanna White" for displaying the >confetti canon for Linnell.Sigh > Bye, > Vera >"You said it's snowing it's snowing God I hate this weather"-Cub"NYC" > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "prick your finger it is done... Entertainment Writer | the moon has now eclipsed the sun... Madison Student Radio | the angel has spread his wings... gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | the time has come for bitter things..." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac| --Brian Warner * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 01:22:21 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: Non-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers and HORDE!!! Message-id: <01IIOQ6D6VME9USQYI@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGers!!! I wanted to share the exciting news with you! I know that alot of you are Soul Coughing and Ben Folds Five fans, and we were all delighted when we found out that they would be playing HORDE this summer! Well, today another exciting addition was made to the HORDE lineup: The Squirrel Nut Zippers!!!!! I'm sorry about the non-tmbg content, but I know that alot of you (as well as myself!) are SNZippers fans and I thought that you might like to hear the happy news! Have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs left off of Factory Showroom Message-ID: <19970510.012305.4518.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 01:23:03 EDT On Fri, 09 May 1997 20:47:17 -0400 Adam Tyner writes: >>From http://www.2launch.com/giants.html: > >"Well, that's a good question," says Flansburgh. "This record is >pretty >edited--we recorded 22 songs and put 13 on it. Some of the songs we >left >off are truly second-rate songs, but a lot of them are actually >first-rate >songs. In a lot of cases, whenever we make those kind of choices (to >leave >off a song), it's usually because it's most like some other song. I >think >'Spiraling Shape' seemed like a more successful recording, and there >are >more songs like 'SenSurround' on the record." > I think it is incredible that "Older" was left off of the album. It is such a great song. Do you think it kind of resembles some of the songs on Factory Showroom already? -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: mod. Message-ID: <19970510.013526.4518.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 01:35:22 EDT Is the list no longer on... MODERATION (jarring chord)? I kind of figured it wasn't because when I replied to a message I had just gotten, I got twelve more right away. Please let it be true... -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-129 ******************************