Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 13 Tuesday, 14 January 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: "Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye...?" TMBG: Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads TMBG: I figured out one of the DASs I think TMBG: Joshua TMBG: Re: Is this weird? or am I sad! TMBG: Coincidence?...Yeah, probably. TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-12 TMBG: Wheel Of Time!!! TMBG: Zamboni Driver TMBG: Which John is which? TMBG: fan in cali. TMBG: Rochester 12/29 READ ME Re: TMBG: Re: Is this weird? or am I sad! TMBG: i'm back Re: TMBG: orange juice voices Re: TMBG: Which John is which? Re: TMBG: Which John is which? Re: TMBG: sexxy Leo and french films TMBG: Brave Combo Re: TMBG: Re: Is this weird? or am I sad! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-12 TMBG: Another fan!!!! Re: TMBG: Re: Is this weird? or am I sad! TMBG: tmbg Re: TMBG: orange juice voices TMBG: Bereft Re: TMBG: fan in cali. TMBG: TMBG Cover Compilation Tape Re: TMBG: here's the new article, also pissing me off.ME TOO!! Re: TMBG: Which John is which? Re: TMBG: Which John is which? Re: TMBG: Re: Is this weird? or am I sad! TMBG: Summer Breeze vs. Summer Wind Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 12:42:01 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: Re: TMBG: "Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye...?" Message-Id: Well, here is my latest theory on 'fingertips', perhaps it's not really a theory but possibly quite interesting anyway. Recently, I read one of Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels called Calliope. In it this writer was stuck for ideas and to cut a reasonable sized story short, he was given ideas in such abundance by the sandman that he couldn't cope with all the ideas in his dead because he couldn't write them down. In it we see his fingertips all bleeding and stuff because the only way he could get them down was to scratch them on walls and stuff using his fingertips. AND the link is that in the song there seem to be only small snippets of songs or ideas for songs all mashed together. I think Neil Gaiman must be a really clever writer to be able to throw away all of the really good ideas like that in a story and I think I might feel the same about tmbg coz, all of the lines in fingertips could make really good songs too. Wow, what a band! Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:11:01 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701131411.JAA23161@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads Hideho! For those of you who have never heard of the game of Nomic, it's a game, played on the Internet through e-mail lists, where the "moves" are made by changing or amending the rules. It's a lot of fun. Anyway, while browsing the site for one particular game of Nomic, I stumbled upon a page dictating the use of "Prosthetic Foreheads" in the game. The URL: http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/proshead.html The whole thing has several TMBG references, including "I Palindrome I" and a Rock to Wind A String Around. Enjoy! Josh If I were a carpenter, I'd hammer on my piglet... /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701131455.AA06380@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: I figured out one of the DASs I think Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:55:22 -0500 (EST) > I may either be way off on this one, or it has allready been mentioned and I > will be yelled at, or I could have just thought of it. > > I was dicing some green peppers and listening to Sinatra (they go hand in > hand, I'm not sure why) when the song "Summer Wind" came on. Now that I > think about it, I'll bet that "Summer Breeze" the DAS is a take off on this > kinda. I can't belive that I hadn't thought of it before, but it just came > to me. Flans is Sinatra guy, and they kind of parallel. > > Anyone care to tell me why not? Go for it! Can you restate this e-mail in English please? I didn't understand it. Thanks, Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701131514.AA06403@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Joshua Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:14:46 -0500 (EST) Can Joshua Hall-Bachner please email me? Thank you. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: TheMoog! Subject: TMBG: Re: Is this weird? or am I sad! Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:35:30 -0500 (EST) Hi all, It's probably nothing, but I was listening to my two favourite bands TMBG and Placebo (yeah, weird mix or what) and I noticed something odd. In a live performance I have on tape, Brian Molko (placebo's lead singer and transvestite, all told!) starts this weird chant thing in the bridge that builds up to the finale on the line "Raising my Freak flag higher and higher" or something very similar. Now, I didn't think that was too weird, just a bit of a conincidence until I got FS recently (I knew it was a TMBG line, but not where it was from). Yeah, I know I'm late getting it but I'm in the UK! Anyway, when I discovered it was in HCISLAG then I became fairly interested in it. After all a transvestite quoting a song called "How can I sing like a girl" is pretty noteworthy. Oh well, I've tried to justify it to myself, but looking back I can see that I'm just very sad. (FS is amazingly good though, isn't it!) The Moog ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:56:07 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Coincidence?...Yeah, probably. Message-Id: Isn't it amazing how, if there's something in pop culture, literary works, history, etc. that just happened to be referred to in TMBG songs, that a lot of people often think that TMBG thought of it first? These guys are a great band, granted, but not everything you hear or read that is even remotely related to something they may have said in a song means that "MY God! There's a connection!" I suppose I'm referring to (but by no means in particular; I see this a lot) a post on the last list about where the "people in the cave allegory" came from, and that the author of the book "Sophie's Choice" was a TMBG fan. Well, maybe that was a just a joke, but remember that They themselves admit that they take from pop culture profusely when they create their music and lyrics. It's not so much a coincidence that you hear someone make a James K. Polk reference on TV or that somebody mentions something about what the sun is made of, subliminal messages, etc. (Although I must say, the "Flansburgh/Linnell" name thing from "3rd Rock" was probably intentional.) TMBG: a glowing star of the pop culture universe, but not necessarily the center. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:56:41 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-12 Message-Id: Oops...I meant, "Sophie's World..." ...doh.... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 11:59:12 -0600 (CST) From: hotdog Subject: TMBG: Wheel Of Time!!! Message-id: Does anybody read the Wheel Of Time series...well if you do you'll like this page cause it has WoT stuff put to flood music...It's great but if you haven't read all the books you may want read the titles so it doesn't ruin it for you... http://www.cc.gatech.edu/ftp/people/viren/www/jordan/no-haunt/ TheyMight.html#Theme nate | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970113131603.006e9838@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 13:16:03 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: TMBG: Zamboni Driver Okay I'm bored and I'm sick of pointless posts by Mr Matthew Steven James so I'll post the parody of AKA Driver I wrote. I know its bad and the sylables are kinda screwy sometimes but give me a break. I wrote this song for my band "Jesus in a Sidecar" which currently consists of meself and all I can play is the Atmospheric Guitar so if ya think you can do better then we got a spot in the band for ya. Here it is, Zamboni Driver: "Zamboni Driver" It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away We can't skate like Wayne Gretzky We could walk but we'd fall on our arse It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away Drunks in section 60 Got a sieve for a goalie Hey Zamboni driver It's ice rink smoothin time Hey you stupid mascot Get outta my rink Get outta my way It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away Hey Zamboni driver It's ice rink smoothin time Hey you stupid mascot Get outta my rink Get outta my way Get outta my way Hey Zamboni driver It's hockey playin time Hey Zamboni driver Get outta my rink Get outta my way Get outta my way It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away It's just a full intermission away "And I'm not done, and I won't be 'til my head falls off. So it may not be a long way off." - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970113184930.006b8c20@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:49:30 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Which John is which? >I've heard the price $25 mentioned on Usenet...has this been verified? It's a double CD set; $25 sounds about right. But I don't have any official sources to back me up. >Even with this Linnell-Tropicana, Flans-Hi-C/Tang thing, I still can't tell >the difference. I can hear 2 different voices, but which one is which? Can >someone give me an example or something? Go to the unofficial site (www.tmbg.org) and get the "Who Sings What" file. Refer to it as you listen to the songs, and you'll be able to distinguish them before long. In the meantime, try this fun fun silly willy excercise: Listen to the chorus of TMHFO, a Linnell song. Notice the (ah, shoot, how can I describe it?) sorta fuzzy quality of his voice (most obvious when he sings a long note, like the "I'm" at the beginning of the choruses). Now listen to Flans in HCISLAG?. (Once again, it's easiest to see when he sings a long note) See the difference? To get you started, here are some other examples: Linnell: Ana Ng, Purple Toupee, They'll Need A Crane, Birdhouse Flans: I Can Hear You, Pet Name, Out of Jail, Cowtown, Road Movie to Berlin >Also, I think my parents are ready to >snap all of my TMBG cd's in half. Whenever they're around my room, they tell >me to "Turn that off. It's not pleasing. It has no beat." Obviously, they have >no taste in music. Mine are like that. Actually, their complaint is that TMBG has "no melody." *sigh* There's just no pleasing some people. (Although my mother likes, for some inexplicable reason, "The World's Address.") >I've seen a few bras go onstage, mostly at Linnell >> > oddly enough. Every time I see that it offends me because >> > I've never had a woman throw her bra at me and I'm at least >> > as attractive as Linnell. :-) > >I actually have a shrine to Leo and throw my bra at it daily. My >roomate is considering joining in.. s-e-x-x-y! I think you're sexxy, Leo! And you're damn cool, too! Three cheers for Leo! >Sorry if this is old hat, but has anyone else noticed that in the Tiny >Toons Istanbul video, when Plucky & Hampton are walking along (Hampton >on accordian, Plucky doing the "Walk Like An Egyptian" thing) they >were drawn like J&J? Plucky has the mop-like hair of Linnell, and >Hampton has the thick glasses with black rims. They sure gave Plucky/Linnell BIG HAIR, all right. It looked like he had a beehive. :) And they show Hampton/Flans playing an instrument he doesn't play. (I thought it was an accordion, but I haven't seen it in a while and someone said it was a violin.) Still, it was cool they did the videos at all... --nicole the wonder nerd is the poison you love. *** "We're the vice-principles of rock!" --John Flansburgh, about his band They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Scoopylee@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 14:45:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970113135205_1991958684@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: fan in cali. i'm very excited that my roommate bought a computor. this is my third day on aol. i have been reading tmbg list mail and find it quite interesting. all you fellow tmbg fans are quite amusing. there is only one problem- i cant seem to get any info on concert dates for future tmbg shows. does anyone know how i can find this info? i have checked most web pages that they seem to have- but there is nothing there. why is that? ---april------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701132020.PAA19133@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: Rochester 12/29 READ ME Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:22:51 -0500 Will the people with whom I was organizing a trade for the 12/29 Rochester show please email me? I've lost everybody's addresses. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:00:32 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Is this weird? or am I sad! Message-ID: About this "freak flag" stuff. The singer from Placebo may indeed be referring to HCISLAG but I had heard the phrase "raising my freak flag" before TMBG ever put it in a song. Well I didn't hear it before, but I saw a movie made during the 80's sometime and they said that phrase. I can't remember what movie it was cause I didn't see the whole thing and I missed the title at the beginning. Take it easy, Wubba * ------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| * ------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 16:10:52 -0500 (EST) From: "M.C.I." Subject: TMBG: i'm back Message-Id: hey all, i'm back from a long and completely unproductive break. i hope everyone had a good time for the holidaze. i did manage to see them in providence at lupos. anyone else there? because my ride was a moron, i did not get there till like 9:00. but hey it happens. well i'll catch you all later. "insanity is the purest form of humanity." -mci@tmbg.org- not just another pretty face ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32DAA51E.56E6@wwnet.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 16:11:58 -0500 From: dstange Subject: Re: TMBG: orange juice voices William Blacksher wrote: > Even with this Linnell-Tropicana, Flans-Hi-C/Tang thing, I still can't tell > the difference. I can hear 2 different voices, but which one is which? There's a which John sings what listing at www.tmbg.org. A few example off the top of my head- Linnell seems to sing the most- he does Birdhouse and Metal Detector, I believe. Flans in the smoother voice. He sings the male vox on The Guitar as well as Pet Name. (If these are wrong, someone correct me. I'm just imagining the songs playing in my head, not actually listening to them right now.) I hear Linnell singing harmony with himself much more often than Flansburgh. Anyone else notice this? Also, they don't sing in Unison very often do they? I think Linell is Sunny D original and Flansburgh is Sunny D California Style =) Dwayne ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:00:05 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Which John is which? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Jan-97 TMBG: Which John is which? by Nicole the W. Nerd@tmbg. > Flans: I Can Hear You, Pet Name, Out of Jail, Cowtown, Road Movie to Berlin Actually, most of Cowtown is sung by Linnell. (the verses are, anyway... Flans sings the lead on the refrains, though) ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701132141.QAA09225@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Which John is which? Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 16:41:34 -0500 (EST) > > Actually, most of Cowtown is sung by Linnell. (the verses are, > anyway... Flans sings the lead on the refrains, though) > Linnell doesn't sing *that* much of Cowtown: 1st verse: Flans solo (actually, it's the chorus) 2nd verse: Linnell solo chorus: both (Flans high, Linnell low) 3rd verse: Flans solo chorus: both again (but with Linnell high, Flans low on very last line *only*) m@t ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199701132214.RAA10560@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: sexxy Leo and french films Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:14:23 -0500 (EST) > I actually have a shrine to Leo and throw my bra at it daily. My > roomate is considering joining in.. s-e-x-x-y! *blush* Aw gee, now I know what Linnell must feel like. :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32DA6BFB.3E2B@ou.edu> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:08:11 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: Brave Combo Who was it that mentioned "Brave Combo"?? Are they any good? Whats the scoop? I noticed a flier here in Norman that they are playing on friday at The Deli, and I was just wondering if they would be any good or not. thanks! Heather. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32DAB8B3.23B2@oeonline.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:35:31 -0500 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Is this weird? or am I sad! That rascal Eric Webber wrote: > > About this "freak flag" stuff. The singer from Placebo may indeed be > referring to HCISLAG but I had heard the phrase "raising my freak flag" > before TMBG ever put it in a song. Well I didn't hear it before, but I saw > a movie made during the 80's sometime and they said that phrase. I can't > remember what movie it was cause I didn't see the whole thing and I missed > the title at the beginning. > Take it easy, > Wubba That's because it's a somewhat common saying. Say, aren't tmbg gay? Rodney. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:40:36 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970113170206_579121826@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-12 >>Ah, but you don't have WBER. ;) The station that LOVES TMBG. > >Where is this wondrous station located? I'd like to move >there... Rochester, NY.... Or if you have real audio, "anywhere on the planet": http://wber.monroe.edu. >when the song "Summer Wind" came on. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet cover that song I think (judging by the title) on their cd "Savvy Show Stoppers". It's a cover, so it might be Sinatra's. >I'll bet that "Summer Breeze" the DAS is Is that that 80's song "Summer breeze, makes me feel fine...." :P Now I'm reminded of those 80's compilation commercials which in turn, remind me of "Fingertips", which remind me of TMBG, therefore making this message sorta relavant (and really pointless). sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Jan 97 08:17:19 UT From: "William Blacksher" Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: Another fan!!!! I gave one of my friends a tape with the Famus Polka and Shoehorn With Teeth (I think that's the name but I don't know) because they have lots of accordion on them. Laurie and I are both devoted Weird Al fans. Anyways, she had been telling me about this poster she saw that had Al and his parents on it. When I told her what was on the tape, she just started to laugh. I asked her why, and she said that the poster had Al's Christmas list on it. Out of 25 things, she remembered 3, and I remember 2 of those. They are 1. a handkerchief from Uma Thurman 2. a shoehorn (the kind with teeth) That's really weird. If you listen to Linnell play the Famous Polka and Al play a polka, they sound almost alike. Also, why is it that whenever I buy a TMBG cd, I listen to it and say "This SUCKS!!! Why did I waste my $$$ on this?" Then, I listen to it awhile later and decide that I love it. The only one I didn't do this to was Flood. It took me 2 months to decide I liked A18. (Which sat around for 2 months and collected dust.) Can anyone tell me in what order everything was released? I'm including Misc.T. | | U, Laura (NOT William Blacksher, my dad) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 18:04:15 -0500 (EST) From: redheaded spriteness Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Is this weird? or am I sad! Message-ID: On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, John Drauss wrote: > That rascal Eric Webber wrote: > > > > About this "freak flag" stuff. The singer from Placebo may indeed be > > referring to HCISLAG but I had heard the phrase "raising my freak flag" > > before TMBG ever put it in a song. Well I didn't hear it before, but I saw > > a movie made during the 80's sometime and they said that phrase. I can't > > remember what movie it was cause I didn't see the whole thing and I missed > > the title at the beginning. > > Take it easy, > > Wubba > > > That's because it's a somewhat common saying. Say, aren't tmbg gay? > > Rodney. > No, aren't they both married? I mean, I guess that's no indicator, but still. Susan "The Statue Got Me High" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32DADAFB.14BF@cyberjunction.net> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:01:47 -0800 From: Balram Dhawan Subject: TMBG: tmbg tmbg are not gay( well not all of them anyway). And "raising my freak flag" was a common 80's saying:-) Aarti (I'm new here) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 18:08:35 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: orange juice voices Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Jan-97 Re: TMBG: orange juice voices by dstange@wwnet.com > A few example off the top of my head- Linnell seems to sing the most- he > does Birdhouse and Metal Detector, I believe. Flans in the smoother > voice. He sings the male vox on The Guitar as well as Pet Name. (If > these are wrong, someone correct me. I'm just imagining the songs > playing in my head, not actually listening to them right now.) For the benefit of those who still can't tell: Notable Linnell songs: Don't Let's Start, Angel, Ana, Purple, Birdhouse, Particle, Whistling, Palindrome, Statue, Dinner, Snail, Head Falls Off, Metal Notable Flans songs: Puppet Head, Lie Still, Ball & Chain, Racist Friend, Twisting, Guitar, Narrow, Sleeping, Ensor, Out of Jail, S-E-X-X-Y, Pet Name > I hear Linnell singing harmony with himself much more often than > Flansburgh. Anyone else notice this? Also, they don't sing in Unison > very often do they? Yes and yes. Linnell sings with himself on, as far as I can tell, Kiss Me, Son of God, Birdhouse (yes, the ending is all Linnell, but they have to change it in concert), Dead, Statue, Turn Around, Subliminal, Head Falls Off, The Bells are Ringing As far as I can tell, Flans hasn't done anything like that (possibly Cage & Aquarium) They sing in unison on a few songs, most notably Istanbul and Shoehorn with Teeth. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 19:07:40 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701140007.TAA22031@CLEMSON.EDU> From: David Karig Subject: TMBG: Bereft Hey, here's a cool band that's almost as weird as They Might Be Giants... Bereft! http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~ctyner/Bereft/ Be sure to check out the dance mix of Anal Warts...it's great. _________________________________ David Karig <> dkarig@clemson.edu ------------------------------ From: Scoopylee@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 19:43:06 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970113180818_1791505019@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: fan in cali. In a message dated 97-01-13 15:38:01 EST, you write: > >The concert dates are listed at the official website at > >Also, you should read the FAQ at before asking such >questions. > >Just trying to be helpful! > > thank you for the info, but i have already done those things that you suggested. for some reason i can not get to the exact page that has the tour dates. my computor replies with a mapping server error. no problem specified. so, again, if anyone can get any info on when tmbg will be here in cali ( southern) i would really appreciate it. thanks april ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32DB0305.631B@trib.infi.net> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 22:52:37 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: TMBG Cover Compilation Tape Well, I've been silent for a while guys! Lately some cool things have been going on with the Cover Compilation Tape. Lately I've joined forces with A.M. TMBG compiler Jeremy Moskowitz, and we've revised the website, and done some cool and interesteing things. All of those interested in submitting or obtaing a copy of the tape please visit the website, and look at your options for each. Voting for a title is still going on, They Might Be Covers still in the lead, but Christy Mcullogh's We Might Be Giants, Too is catching up also! So I encourage all of you crazy listies, (and the three of you normal ones) to check out the website for the tape, which I will take no profit from, of fans covering TMBG's music. The site's URL is http://members.tripod.com/~tmbg_compilation/ Have fun!! -- Matthew Ondrey "We've almost figured out how we get along, and given time we'll find it strange to be alone." - TMBG Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32DAC684.27B1@ou.edu> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 23:34:28 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re: TMBG: here's the new article, also pissing me off.ME TOO!! KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > Man o nam, this is the biggest prick I've ever seen...he "disses" Heather's > letter, and calls Them whores!!! >:[ > ~sarah > was one > email comment I read to Flansburgh. "TMBG fans aren't always moody, > angry-at-the-world loners. They are almost always intelligent, fun, and happy > people that just want to try and brighten someone's day." > This was signed by a woman at the University of Oklahoma who identified > herselfas editor of Splink! Neither Flansburgh nor I subscribe to Splink!, > but it appears to be some kind of specialized publication for moody, > angry-at-the-world loners. > What?!!?! I don't mind him insulting me.. but my baby, my love, Splink! ????? I will not put up with this. I am as of now subscribing Flans to Splink! for free. For Moody, angry-at-the-world loners my .... argh! I am very mad! okay. I'm am going to go and calm down now.. but it's awful!! Splink! means the world to me!! Heather.. who is thinking of changing her address to particle girl > Should we say Trojan whores? > *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 18:10:15 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Which John is which? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Jan-97 Re: TMBG: Which John is which? by Matthew Coon@omni.cc.pur > Linnell doesn't sing *that* much of Cowtown: > > 1st verse: Flans solo (actually, it's the chorus) > 2nd verse: Linnell solo > chorus: both (Flans high, Linnell low) > 3rd verse: Flans solo > chorus: both again (but with Linnell high, Flans low > on very last line *only*) True enough. It's another one of those songs that Linnell wrote but Flans sings a lot of... (actually, the first example I found - kind of the opposite of Subliminal - and yes, there is evidence from interviews to prove this, I just forget where they are on the web :) ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 00:04:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970113223406_614910548@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Which John is which? In a message dated 97-01-13 17:02:45 EST, coon@omni.cc.purdue.edu (Matthew Coon) writes: << > Actually, most of Cowtown is sung by Linnell. (the verses are, > anyway... Flans sings the lead on the refrains, though) > Linnell doesn't sing *that* much of Cowtown: 1st verse: Flans solo (actually, it's the chorus) 2nd verse: Linnell solo chorus: both (Flans high, Linnell low) 3rd verse: Flans solo chorus: both again (but with Linnell high, Flans low on very last line *only*) >> You're saying that when one of the John's sings, "I'm goin' down to Cowtown..." that it is not the same singer as on Ana Ng? Heck, I thought I was actually getting the hang of picking out who was who. Joseph ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 23:11:51 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Is this weird? or am I sad! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Jan-97 Re: TMBG: Re: Is this weird.. by redheaded spriteness@arc > No, aren't they both married? I mean, I guess that's no indicator, but > still. No. Flansburgh is married, and Linnell has a girlfriend who he mentioned in an interview... on www.live-wire.com, where there's a huge set of interviews as a complete retrospective.... they're up to Flood right now. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 01:19:47 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970113225854_1657334822@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Summer Breeze vs. Summer Wind Hello 41- <> Okay, it was late last night, and I was being pretty uncomprehendable about my Summer Breeze vs. Summer Wind arguement. Let me try it again. One of the unreleased TMBG Dial-A-Songs is called Summer Breeze. It's on The Low Fidelity Experience. It's a neat, soft song. Now I hadn't thought of it before, but Frank Sinatra does a song called Summer Wind. The reason I bring this up is because the two songs have some parallels. And Mr. Flansburgh is a big Sinatra fan, so it doesn't surprise me that he would make the refrence to Sinatra. Again, if anyone can prove me right or wrong, please tell me. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf His educational career began, interestingly enough, in agracultural school, where he majored in animal husbandry untill they caught him at it one day. -Tom Lehrer Adam's do it yourself .sig file (Updated sometimes) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-13 *****************************