Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-130 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 130 Sunday, 11 May 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Oregon Re: TMBG: John Henry TMBG: fan letter TMBG: TMBG dancin' Re: TMBG: Songs left off of Factory Showroom TMBG: They Got Lost Re: TMBG: TMBG and test answers TMBG: Left-overs / Single / Maybe Re: TMBG: Left-overs / Single / Maybe Re: TMBG: Johnus Henrius Re: TMBG: Next single? Re: TMBG: Story TMBG: EP Re: TMBG: Johnus Henrius Re: TMBG: argh! Re: TMBG: parties/singles Re: TMBG: They Got Lost Re: TMBG: EP Re: TMBG: argh! Re: TMBG: violent femmes Semi-TMBG: Details on Phil Ochs Box Set! =) TMBG: Tour Dates TMBG: album titles TMBG: WBS chat times thus far Re: TMBG: violent femmes Re: TMBG: album titles Re: TMBG: album endings Re: TMBG: album endings Re: TMBG: album endings Re: TMBG: parties/singles Re: TMBG: album endings TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: they might be midgets Re: TMBG: album endings Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Re: TMBG: album endings TMBG: Token Back To Brooklyn TMBG: Hagfish and Twistin' Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 01:59:07 -0400 From: Derek Keevil Message-ID: <33740EAB.6A32@haverford.edu> Organization: The Hat Sharpening Shop Subject: Re: TMBG: Oregon I've found this distrubing as well, being born in raised in Oregon, but JKP is not HALF as disturbing as Linnells state songs. Not only are the lyrics "Oregon is bad" he blatantly pronounces it horribly wrong. To set the record straight it's pernounced ORE-a-gen and not ore-a-GONE. "Oregon" rhymes with "again" )as long as you don't pull that horrible songwriter stunt and rhyme "again" with "rain"). I mean, it's a very logical pronunciation for goodness sake. You dan't hear people walking around saying "I'm going to boss-TON, MA" as if their Bost was no longer off. HOWEVER! Not only did those guys at NPR fix up some of the facts in James K. Polk, they also fixed up the pronunciation so that the Johns sound educated. Get recording of that, Michelle, and They will have redeemed themselves to you. (I think there's a WAV at the Factory Homepage). - Derek -- __ __ Derek Keevil /\_\ THE / /\ The World Famous / /_/ __ __ / / / Hat Sharpener / \ \/\_\ /\ \ /_/ \ SharpHat@tmbg.org / /\ \/ / / / \ \ \_\/\ \ ___ _ _ ___ ___ \/_/\ / / / /\ \ \ \ \ \ | __|| |_| || || _ | / / / / ____ \ \ \ \ \ |__ || _ || | || _| \/_/ /_/_/ \_\_\ \_\/ |___||_| |_||___||_| http://www.students.haverford.edu/dkeevil ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 02:02:49 -0400 From: Derek Keevil Message-ID: <33740F89.246B@haverford.edu> Organization: The Hat Sharpening Shop Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > Isn't it strange that on the cover of JH, the girl is holding a pick axe > (or whatever it is), not a hammer. Hmmm. It's a rock hammer, used by geologists, miners, and anyone who works with rocks. Seems logical to me. You know, John Henry the guy who dug the tunnel. Also it makes a much more scary looking contrast to the cute kids, along with that skull. -- __ __ Derek Keevil /\_\ THE / /\ The World Famous / /_/ __ __ / / / Hat Sharpener / \ \/\_\ /\ \ /_/ \ SharpHat@tmbg.org / /\ \/ / / / \ \ \_\/\ \ ___ _ _ ___ ___ \/_/\ / / / /\ \ \ \ \ \ | __|| |_| || || _ | / / / / ____ \ \ \ \ \ |__ || _ || | || _| \/_/ /_/_/ \_\_\ \_\/ |___||_| |_||___||_| http://www.students.haverford.edu/dkeevil ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970510002900.006c4ec4@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 00:29:05 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: fan letter Ok everyone, this is kind of embarrassing but: Suppose that I had a fan letter I wanted to send to TMBG. (I'm embarrassed because I've always thought of fan letters as the gushing, insipid communications of lovestruck teenagers to whoever happens to be the teen idol that day... but I digress.) Where would I send this theoretical fan letter? To the Williamsburgh station address? To Them, c/o Elektra? Where? Anyone know? E-mail me personally, please. :) --nicole the wonder nerd who is thinking waaaay too much about this, especially since the odds are prolly mighty slim that They will even read it. *** "The cruelest lies are often told without a word. The kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." --Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970510005331.006c43d8@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 00:53:42 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: TMBG dancin' >> Flansy was in Guitar Magazine ??? I've got to have it. How old is it?? >Well, it was recent, and I simply cannot tell you what month, however. There's also the article I was referring to. It would have been the November or December issue from 1994. (or maybe even the Jan. '95 issue) >Now my question is this: what TMBG >works well at parties? I don't want people to be sitting around going >"Huh, what the hell is this?" I want people to start dancing and >carrying on before they realized that I've pulled a fast one on them >and played some TMBG. I know from experience that Spiralling Shape >does not work well. But what will? In the past I've had good luck playing TMHFO, SenSurround, New York City, Rhythm Section Want Ad, WDTSS? (fast version only, and be aware that it's more of a risk to play than the preceeding four) and once I even got away with The Famous Polka. (I even got the DJ to yell "EVERYBODY POLKA!!!" It was a priceless moment. But I digress.) In general, look for songs that have a strong, fast beat. Birdhouse In Your Soul and Ana Ng don't work well; their grooves are too fast for slow dancing and too slow for fast dancing. If you've got a techno crowd on hand, try the Warren Rigg SEXXY remix or the Istanbul Brownsville remix (if for no other reason than to watch the spoken part at the beginning confuse the heck out of everyone.) If they're more metal-oriented, Stomp Box or Dig My Grave oughtta work. Don't worry--you'll have them schnookered into TMBG fandom in no time. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "The cruelest lies are often told without a word. The kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." --Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 08:41:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs left off of Factory Showroom Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-May-97 TMBG: Songs left off of Fac.. by Adam Tyner@awod.com > I've heard copies of *some* of the songs cut from FS, but I haven't heard 9 > of 'em. Which other songs were recorded and not used? Aside from: > > Rat Patrol, They Got Lost, Reprehensible, Older, On The Drag, Counterfeit > Faker, and Certain People I Could Name? Sensurround and Unforgotten, which became B-sides for S-E-X-X-Y. When they originally recorded all the songs, they did not have in mind what would go on the album and what would back the single. I'm guessing that Sensurround got left off the album because it sounds way too much like Till My Head Falls Off, and Unforgotten got left off because it's truly a second rate song... The Edison recordings aren't being counted here - otherwise, he would have said they put 14 songs on the album... (Token Back to Brooklyn was among the 13 he mentioned - I Can Hear You was not) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33746D3A.853@BlazeNet.net> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 08:42:34 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: TMBG: They Got Lost does anyone know when TMBG played "they got lost" first? Just wondering... Eric ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970509213623.3317dce6@mail.one.net> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 21:36:23 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and test answers > Well, on Wednesday I took the Engilsh Language AP and on of the > questions dealt with how someone described their "fractured personality" > so I quoted Them using "every jumbled pile of person." They songs do > help for tests! Am I the only one who jumped out of my seat as I read the "Fractured Personality" essay that mentioned a snake eating its opposite side? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970510103255.00fbf2c8@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 10:32:55 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Left-overs / Single / Maybe So, he said they recorded 22: On FS (13): Token BTB, SEXXY, TMHFO, HCISLAG?, EDG, Metal Detector, NYC, Enemy, XTCvAA, Shape, Polk, Pet Name, Bells NOt on FS (10): Rat Patrol, They Got Lost, Reprehensible, Older, On The Drag, Counterfeit Faker, Certain People I Could Name?, SenSurround, Unforgotten, We've Got A World That Swings If you don't count TBTB (Which "doesn't exist") then you get 22. I assume that WGAWTS was recorded during the Factory Sessions. Correct me if I'm wrong. As for Thing; so far they've got half an album.... And a question, too... how long have they played Maybe I Know in concert? (Or, when was the first time?) thanks. -ec (wow, HORDE will truly rock. Tengo que ir....) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 10:52:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Left-overs / Single / Maybe Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-May-97 TMBG: Left-overs / Single /.. by Evan Chakroff@ee.net > If you don't count TBTB (Which "doesn't exist") then you get 22. I assume > that WGAWTS was recorded during the Factory Sessions. Correct me if I'm the problem is Token Back To Brooklyn *does* exist. As far as Factory Showroom recording sessions go, though, I Can Hear You does *not* exist (there is no studio version of this song) the 22 songs recorded at the FS sessions were (with abbreviated names): Token, SEXXY, Head Falls Off, Sing Like, Dead Guy, Metal, NYC, Worst Enemy, XTC, Spiraling, Polk, Pet Name, Bells, Rat, Lost, Older, Counterfeit, Reprehensible, Unforgotten, Sensurround, Certain, and On the Drag. We've Got a World that Swings was not recorded at those sessions, nor was I Can Hear You. > And a question, too... how long have they played Maybe I Know in concert? > (Or, when was the first time?) since before they might have been giants... according to the Johns, it's one of the first songs they ever performed... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705101504.KAA07172@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 10:06:04 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Johnus Henrius john HANCOCK is what refers to your signature. he was the first person to sign the declaration of independence...for some reason people always mix up john henry and john hancock. geoff At 12:51 PM 5/10/97 +1000, you wrote: > I always thought John Henry referred to your signature. Like, people >say, "whack you;re John Henry right here and we'll be right", meaning sign >on the dotted line, basically. Oh well, I guess we interpret things the >way WE want to. > >Ad. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "prick your finger it is done... Entertainment Writer | the moon has now eclipsed the sun... Madison Student Radio | the angel has spread his wings... gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | the time has come for bitter things..." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac| --Brian Warner * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705101511.KAA98350@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 10:12:43 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Next single? my mistake, i didn't notice my error until i got this back again...rev 105 IS a commercial station, Radio K is a college station. without that, my point is hoplessly lost. geoff At 09:09 PM 5/8/97 -0500, I wrote: >a single, especially on a college station. rev105 in minneapolis (not a >commercial station(, before it went off the air a short time ago, was >constantly playing the giants version of nyc, and that's not a single. the >minneapolis college station always used to play whirlpool (from wdtss) in 94 >and 95. it may be their next single, but there has been no documentation of >this yet. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "prick your finger it is done... Entertainment Writer | the moon has now eclipsed the sun... Madison Student Radio | the angel has spread his wings... gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | the time has come for bitter things..." www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac| --Brian Warner * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705101701.KAA23506@f9.hotmail.com> From: "shannon schipper" Subject: Re: TMBG: Story Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 10:01:30 PDT josh neilson wrote: >Good news. I may have made a few fans of TMBG. I drive a girl who lives >the in same town I do to our school, so naturally I subject her to TMBG. > She said she really liked NYC because of the part "the best thing about >New York City is you and me". She says it is sweet. I also have a >friend who really likes Flood and FS, but doesn't like JH. i'm also quite proud of myself for turning a friend onto TMBG. i'm forever talking about Them and wearing my *signed* shirt, so she went out and bought FS, which she loves. even if it's only one person, it's a start! shannon **********please don't eat the animals!********** * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 10:47:10 PST Subject: TMBG: EP Message-ID: <19970510.104710.3966.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Does anyone else think it is cool that They would do a cover of a Meatpuppets song? Josh NIElsEn ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 14:23:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705101823.OAA02001@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: Johnus Henrius > I always thought John Henry referred to your signature. Like, people >say, "whack you;re John Henry right here and we'll be right", meaning sign >on the dotted line, basically. Oh well, I guess we interpret things the >way WE want to. > >Ad. > >&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& >& Ironside & >& "...the 17th best band in the world" & >& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ & >&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& > I think John Hancock refers to your sig. I've never heard John Henry used that way before ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 14:28:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705101828.OAA02304@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: argh! >>> does everyone forget that? They also said TMBG's music was "geek pop". >>> Oh well. Strangely, they said Factory Showroom had no single released, > >>Hmmm... obviuosly non-fans. At least they didn't use the Q word. > >Hey, I'm a fan (don't lets start this "True Fan" thing again), but I >consider Them "geek pop". I like "geek pop", you must admit, they are >"geekier" than most rock bands. That's why some of us like em more! (IE >geek pop = witty lyrics, different instrumentation.) So what if the >mainstream culture labels them "geek pop"! > >-ec >(Anyone seen the Hanson video? What the hell?!? are they for real? Who let >those kids in the studio! get outta here! damned kids....) > Yeah. I like a lot of "nerd" or "geek" bands. Them, Weezer, the Mister T Experience...all "geeky" bands, I guess. Then again, I'm a nerd. The story with Hanson is that there are six people in the band. The three kids in the video(they are all boys. I was completely shocked when I heard that. They look so effeminate!) can't really play instruments, but apparently they look nice. The other three, who are apparently old and ugly since they aren't allowed in the video, actually play the music and write the terrible, terrible music. Of course, I heard all this from a friend so it might not be reliable. Marilyn Manson did play Paul Phipher on "The Wonder Years," though. Marty ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 14:33:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705101833.OAA02612@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: parties/singles >Hola all, > >Two things. First, my roommates and I are keeping with tradition >and having a end of year party. Since I will be in charge of music, >I plan on playing lots o' TMBG. Now my question is this: what TMBG >works well at parties? I don't want people to be sitting around going >"Huh, what the hell is this?" I want people to start dancing and >carrying on before they realized that I've pulled a fast one on them >and played some TMBG. I know from experience that Spiralling Shape >does not work well. But what will? > Aaron, For dance songs, play the Dust Brother's remix of Snail Shell, Josh Fried's remix of the World's Address, and Minimum Wage. A friend of mine and I had to write this play for school that the rest of the class would perform, and during a dance scene we played Minimum Wage. Marty ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705101802.NAA05377@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Got Lost Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 13:52:19 -0500 > > does anyone know when TMBG played "they got lost" first? > Just wondering... Eric After a soul searching journey in which they found themselves. Mike "MMMMMMMMMMMMM" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 15:44:29 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: EP Message-ID: Yes, I think it is cool, even though No Joke! wasn't very good to me. On Sat, 10 May 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > Does anyone else think it is cool that They would do a cover of a > Meatpuppets song? > Josh NIElsEn > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 16:51:29 -0500 (EST) From: apatte2@UMBC2.UMBC.EDU Subject: Re: TMBG: argh! Message-id: > be reliable. Marilyn Manson did play Paul Phipher on "The Wonder Years," > though. > > > Marty > > Ok. Normally, I wouldn't interject except that the apparent "truth" of this matter once caused me great grief. "You get Rolling Stone, go 'head...read it yourself", my friend had said after much pleading, begging, and sobbing on my part for her to stop lying and tell the truth. "It's the truth," she said, "My boyfriend was crying over it earlier" At which point I ran to my parents bathroom to get the offending issue of Rolling Stone which, for some reason my dad likes to steal and hide in his bathroom. So I read the whole freakin article only to find that the line that says this assures the readers it is ONLY A RUMOR. So I'd just like to correct that little bit of information for anyone who was as frightenend by this as I was.And I mean Paul on the WonderYears? Please! Um, P.S.- John Flansburg*H* Autumn "shameless attempt at TMBG content" Patterson ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705102228.PAA05556@f41.hotmail.com> From: "shannon schipper" Subject: Re: TMBG: violent femmes Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 15:28:40 PDT >On Fri, May 9, May Anna Schaeffer writes: >> >>I've noticed that a lot of the people on this mailing list seem to >>have >>the same tastes in music. I was wondering if anyone out there, in >>addition to being a hardcore They Might Be Giants fan like myself, is >>also >>a hardcore Violent Femmes fan also like myself? although i'm not a "hardcore" VF fan (in the sense that i don't own all of their cd's and such), i do love their music and have one of their cd's. shannon ~~~~~~~~~~please don't eat the animals!~~~~~~~~~~ * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 18:37:32 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: Semi-TMBG: Details on Phil Ochs Box Set! =) Message-id: <01IIPQ1O7KBMA5U651@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGers! I found out the the details on the Phil Ochs Box Set, in case any of you were interested! =) On Augusut 5, Rhino Records offers up Fantasies and Farewells: The Phil Ochs Collection, the first comprehensive box on the protest troubadour. For those of yoo who are not familiar with Phil Och's works, I highly suggest you give him a try! Even though he's been dead for 20 years, there remains strong interest in Ochs' works. He's even got his own email list (majordomo@cs.pdx.edu, subscribe no-more-songs) and web site (http://www.cs.edu/~trent/ochs). Here's a neat story that I love: Perhaps the last time that Phil played at the Main Point (the late but legendary coffee house in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania), he had recently returned from his trip to Algeria. There, he'd been jumped and strangled. His vocal cords never fully recovered to let him hit those high notes that were important to many of his compositions. That night, at the Main Point, he was having a particularly bad time of it. The absolute despair in his face when he had to give up on a song was painfully aparent. However, also aparent was the look on his face when the audience suggested that they would sing with him, and *for* him where he couldn't. Ochs was genuinely touched that people would know his songs by heart, and be willing to carry him through a concert. Imagine how he'd feel seeing people keep his memory alive 20 years after his death! =) sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705102246.AA08226@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Tour Dates Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 18:46:56 -0400 (EDT) Hello., > It appears that the TMBG's so called world tour has ended. I have just > looked at the tour info to discover the rather depressing news that there > are no new tour dates. Full Stop. There are no dates on there at all. It Wow, I didn't think I'd ever see anyone on this list use Full Stop in their messages, wacky Brits ;) > seems the world tour has ended without involving Europe. How depressing, I > was looking forward to getting a chance to see them live, dissapointment > there for anyone who was waiting for them to come to their home town. > > Look on the bright side though, could mean that they've taken time off so > they can record a new album. I have a theory: Flansburgh's birthday just passed and Linnell's is coming up in 1 month. Also, Linnell just got married. On top of that there was mention that They would tour in Europe later in the Spring (which goes until near the end of June if memory serves) so it seems that they might be taking a slight break until they hit the circuit again in June or maybe July. Chances are they just have to update the dates, and generally international dates are harder to peg down than US dates so they might have to hold off for a short while to get all of that information sorted and then up on the page. So give it a few more weeks, or a month and we might just see a whole new set of dates! At least I hope so. Then there's the 2nd theory that I have. With the new Monopuff Hello stuff and mention of a new Monopuff album being released in stores sometime this year (is this true? I'm not 100% sure_) there could be one of those Monopuff tours they did last summer. In which case, they'd start up again in August (if this mirrors last year that is). /Matt -- "True happiness lies beyond your fries and happy burgers." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 20:38:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Dan Lee Subject: TMBG: album titles Message-ID: TMBG content follows a bit later: > john HANCOCK is what refers to your signature. he was the first person to > sign the declaration of independence...for some reason people always mix up > john henry and john hancock. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that John Hancock was not the first to sign the Declaration of Independence. It's just that his signature was the largest (supposedly so that King George "could read it without his glasses" but that may be another one of those silly historical myths). All this talk about John Henry makes me think of an old idea I had: I think that the FAQ should have short blurbs on what the album titles mean. While I haven't visited the FAQ in a long time, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't already have this. They Might Be Giants- I think the FAQ already mentions that this is also referred to as the untitled album, the self-titled album, the Pink Album, Truth or Sandwiches, and the Big Blue Dog Album. (Although I think that the latter two should never be used.) Lincoln- They both went to Lincoln Sudbury High School. Miscellaneous T- This is the heading under which TMBG is sometimes filed. And the songs are pretty miscellaneous. (I think this is already on the FAQ.) Flood- I dunno. Does anyone know why they names this album Flood? (assuming that the album pictures were chosen after the name was chosen) Apollo 18- the mission after the last real Apollo mission. John Henry- This thread has already discussed this enough. Factory Showroom- I dunno. So who out there does the FAQ anyway? Is this an okay idea? -Dan P.S. Am I the only one who thinks that people mentioning their SAT/AP scores is a bit pretentious and out of place? I suppose that casual mentioning of tests is okay, but do we really need to hear scores? (Send responses and/or flames to me and not the list.) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970511004713.00678cf0@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 20:47:13 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: WBS chat times thus far Well, The responses so far have not been overwelming for times when people can chat. Below is a list of the times when people said they could be there. Mon - Fri 3pm to 7pm Sat - Sun noon to 8pm If you have other times you can make it, please send me some e-mail so I can update the times sheet. ***But remember, these are only the times when people THINK they can be on, so just check the room anytime you're free.*** And if you need instructions on how to get to the TMBG chat room, just drop me a line. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: violent femmes Date: Sun, 11 May 97 18:08:49 PDT Much as I love the Johns, I love the Femmes even more. I think the two groups could probably come up with some really cool collaborations. "It was either take over the world or learn French, so I took over the world, and next weekend I can learn French." Whatever... ---------- | | I've noticed that a lot of the people on this mailing list seem to have | the same tastes in music. I was wondering if anyone out there, in | addition to being a hardcore They Might Be Giants fan like myself, is also | a hardcore Violent Femmes fan also like myself? | ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970510211230.00fb8978@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 21:12:30 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: album titles >Factory Showroom- I dunno. > it could be taken to mean that "Here is our MTV-Ready, shrink-wrapped, SuperPop Album, but DON'T LOOK IN THE BACK ROOM! That's where we keep all our old 'quirky' stuff! (and if you listen, you can hear the 'quirk' seeping in from the depths of the Factory)" Or it could just be a random title. (What was one of the tentative titles for FS, Monkey-Something? I forget...) -ec | center.base.org (ALT LOC) ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 22:01:51 EST Message-Id: <199705110201.5071200@cyberia.com> >so where does "subway token to brooklyn" fit in? it's technically the >first song on factory, though it's not listed as such (it's the secret >track you have to rewind on cd players to get). > I don't think it counts because it is a secret tract(shhhhh, noone is supposed to know about it:)) If it was a track , though, I would have to rank it below every song but the theme from flood >my only complaint with dig my grave is it should have been longer and >louder, like stomp box. AGRREED, though they both rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Steve > >[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] >"A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A >woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG > [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] >Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! >Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: >Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni >Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 21:22:52 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings Message-ID: So sorry, but I can't let that by without a comment. Subway is groovy, melodic, and beaty. They even sound like monks! How can you beat that? And Theme From Flood is an engenious way to start off an album. I don't know why some people hate it. I'm sorry if I'm just contributing an "I diagree" post, but it's always nagged at me that so many people hate Theme From Flood. Subway is a hidden treasure. -Mark On Sat, 10 May 1997, The Christ Family wrote: > > > >so where does "subway token to brooklyn" fit in? it's technically the > >first song on factory, though it's not listed as such (it's the secret > >track you have to rewind on cd players to get). > > > I don't think it counts because it is a secret tract(shhhhh, noone is > supposed to know about it:)) If it was a track , though, I would have to > rank it below every song but the theme from flood > > >my only complaint with dig my grave is it should have been longer and > >louder, like stomp box. > AGRREED, though they both rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 > > Steve > > > > >[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] > >"A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A > >woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG > > [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] > >Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! > >Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: > >Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni > >Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 > > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970510224408.00fb93a0@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 22:44:08 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings At 09:22 PM 5/10/97 -0500, you wrote: >So sorry, but I can't let that by without a comment. Subway is groovy, >melodic, and beaty. They even sound like monks! How can you beat that? >And Theme From Flood is an engenious way to start off an album. I don't >know why some people hate it. I'm sorry if I'm just contributing an "I >diagree" post, but it's always nagged at me that so many people hate >Theme From Flood. Subway is a hidden treasure. >-Mark Monks? Well, they do actually.... I think it's mainly the reverb effects. Makes it sound like those monk CDs... But also, Re: titles, calling the song in question "Subway" is kindof dumb... "Subway" doesn't even appear in the song's lyrics, and it's an adjective. Please refer to songs by the full title, or the NOUN in the title, or at least a UNDERSTANDABLE (damn brain... that thing where you take the first letters... why can't I think of it? starts with an A...). No offense, it just bugs me. well, back I go to arranging my CDs by color of the case. :) ) -ec ------------------------------ From: Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 21:56:08 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: parties/singles Message-ID: <1F35533C45@athena.valpo.edu> i just came out of a daze from two finals that i have been studying for since i can past remember. so i had like 80 messages from tmbg in my mailbox and decided to just roll my replies into one message. here goes. for parites, try the phone conversation. j/k. actually a few things would work. most of flood, since that's their most familiar album, and just about anything uptempo like till my head falls off and ana ng and hotel detective. just try and avoid going from like "toddler highway" to "hypnotist of ladies" and then to "i can hear you." you might scare some people. re: next singles, i dj at a college station, and most college djs pick the majority of their lineup themselves. i have played countless non-single music, so just remember that it doesn't necessarily mean it's their next single. come to think of it, they did play it last at the grand rapids show. speaking of which, does anybody who was at the show remember the first conga song? i know the second was the guitar, but can't remember the first. re:skipping disc, are you sure it's skipping? the end of ana ng on the album is much longer than the video version, i.e. they do more chorus repeats. if you're not sure, just watch the timer. if it continues to move normally, you're fine. if not and the disc came skip-ready, i'm sure you could write a letter and get a new one for free. what would i recommend to someone interested in luscious jackson, u2, etc? try the joshua fried remix of the world's address. what's the istanbul brownsville remix and where can i get it? and what about the dust brothers remix of snail shell? remember, token back to brooklyn IS on factory, provided you have a cd version. it's the one you rewind from the beginning of sexxy to get to. although i don't particularly care for this song, the one available on DAS online is a bit better. lastly, i just got a tmbg fan club thing in the mail today. it's dated as christmas 96. odd. do you know if this is the most recent issue? it's interesting and also has a lyric sheet for FS, so i'm not complaining. however, i totally forgot how i got ahold of this. i don't remember signing up online or sending a letter. maybe the johns have a they might be fans satellite tracking system in place. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970510231210.0068e2a4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 23:12:15 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings At 10:44 PM 5/10/97 -0400, you wrote: > >But also, Re: titles, calling the song in question "Subway" is kindof >dumb... "Subway" doesn't even appear in the song's lyrics, and it's an >adjective. Please refer to songs by the full title, or the NOUN in the TMBG.COM called the Dial-a-song version 'Subway Token Back To Brooklyn', and I guess that's where the abbreviated version comes from. >well, back I go to arranging my CDs by color of the case. :) ) I have a tendency to arrange the bands alphabetically and their CDs chronologically. :> TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 11 May 1997 13:39:04 +1000 Message-ID: <000DBCD3.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff OK, so I guess I'm a cheapskate. I haven't heard any Mono Puff though. So... if ther's anyone out here on this wide wonderful world of Theyness who would like a copy of a live recording of They made during a sound check for their show in Melbourne for a radio station out here (JJJ) I'd be more than willing to tape it as well as some random Australian stuff in exchange for a tape of any Mono Puff. Just hoping :) Andrew Callaghan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970511034937.00ea80b4@pworld.net.ph> Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 11:49:37 +0800 From: Reggie Vinluan Subject: TMBG: they might be midgets TMBG sighting: In the new MAD magazine June 1997 "special family" issue... in a portion called "Having Baby Boomers for Parents Means..." There's a drawing of a kid holding a record with the title "They Might Be Midgets" she's making a face, while her mother swoons. under the drawing it says: "Having baby boomers for parents means taking up rap, or accepting the fact that they might like the same music you do!" Don't you guys think TMBG as the choice of a baby boomer parent is pretty weird considering They's youthful, eclectic style. I don't know what to make of this... just thought you Giantheads should know... Reggie ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 23:12:45 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings Message-ID: I'm really laughing to myself here. No offense, but you must be strange to be around. Are you on something (seriously) or do you not know what an adjective is? Subway is a noun, and the more prominent noun in the title. Calling it Brooklyn would make me think of Spider. Subway is about as good as you can get. And besides, who ever complains that a word in the title of a song is not used the song, and that therefore people shouldn't call it by that word? My younger brother has joined me in laughing at you. Sorry. I should've made this a private message. Anyway, no offense, but I'll continue to call it Subway. -Mark On Sat, 10 May 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > At 09:22 PM 5/10/97 -0500, you wrote: > >So sorry, but I can't let that by without a comment. Subway is groovy, > >melodic, and beaty. They even sound like monks! How can you beat that? > >And Theme From Flood is an engenious way to start off an album. I don't > >know why some people hate it. I'm sorry if I'm just contributing an "I > >diagree" post, but it's always nagged at me that so many people hate > >Theme From Flood. Subway is a hidden treasure. > >-Mark > > Monks? Well, they do actually.... I think it's mainly the reverb effects. > Makes it sound like those monk CDs... > > But also, Re: titles, calling the song in question "Subway" is kindof > dumb... "Subway" doesn't even appear in the song's lyrics, and it's an > adjective. Please refer to songs by the full title, or the NOUN in the > title, or at least a UNDERSTANDABLE (damn brain... that thing where you > take the first letters... why can't I think of it? starts with an A...). No > offense, it just bugs me. > > well, back I go to arranging my CDs by color of the case. :) ) > -ec > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 23:17:01 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Message-ID: Do you mean to tell me that if I make you a recording of Unsupervised (and throw in a bunch of other music if you so wish) you'll give me all of that? (Also, I could give you a postcard type thing that I got in the mil from the TMBG info. club that has the Unsupervised album cover picture on the front and rants & stuff on the back. It makes a good decoration, but I have nothing to put it on.) -Mark On 11 May 1997 Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au wrote: > > OK, so I guess I'm a cheapskate. I haven't heard any Mono Puff though. So... > if ther's anyone out here on this wide wonderful world of Theyness who would > like a copy of a live recording of They made during a sound check for their > show in Melbourne for a radio station out here (JJJ) I'd be more than > willing to tape it as well as some random Australian stuff in exchange for a > tape of any Mono Puff. Just hoping :) > > Andrew Callaghan > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705110446.XAA27723@dfw-ix7.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 21:44:24 -0700 Well I hate to disagree with you but if you ever diagram sentences you will find that in the phrase "Subway Token Back to Brooklyn" Subway is an adjective, describing the word Token... what kind of token is it? it's a subway token.. you cannot have two nouns as the subject of a sentence unless there is an and but or or and since one of the nouns has to describe the other the subject can't be subway... in most cases it is a noun but this is an adjective (now remember your schoolhouse rock now...) ---------- | From: The Gottschalks | To: Evan Chakroff | Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org | Subject: Re: TMBG: album endings | Date: Saturday, May 10, 1997 9:12 PM | | I'm really laughing to myself here. No offense, but you must be strange | to be around. Are you on something (seriously) or do you not know what an | adjective is? Subway is a noun, and the more prominent noun in the title. | Calling it Brooklyn would make me think of Spider. Subway is about as | good as you can get. And besides, who ever complains that a word in the | title of a song is not used the song, and that therefore people shouldn't | call it by that word? My younger brother has joined me in laughing at you. | Sorry. I should've made this a private message. Anyway, no offense, but | I'll continue to call it Subway. | -Mark | | On Sat, 10 May 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: | | > At 09:22 PM 5/10/97 -0500, you wrote: | > >So sorry, but I can't let that by without a comment. Subway is groovy, | > >melodic, and beaty. They even sound like monks! How can you beat that? | > >And Theme From Flood is an engenious way to start off an album. I don't | > >know why some people hate it. I'm sorry if I'm just contributing an "I | > >diagree" post, but it's always nagged at me that so many people hate | > >Theme From Flood. Subway is a hidden treasure. | > >-Mark | > | > Monks? Well, they do actually.... I think it's mainly the reverb effects. | > Makes it sound like those monk CDs... | > | > But also, Re: titles, calling the song in question "Subway" is kindof | > dumb... "Subway" doesn't even appear in the song's lyrics, and it's an | > adjective. Please refer to songs by the full title, or the NOUN in the | > title, or at least a UNDERSTANDABLE (damn brain... that thing where you | > take the first letters... why can't I think of it? starts with an A...). No | > offense, it just bugs me. | > | > well, back I go to arranging my CDs by color of the case. :) ) | > -ec | > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970511010938.00fbc8c8@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 01:09:38 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Token Back To Brooklyn The Gottschalks wrote: >I'm really laughing to myself here. No offense, but you must be strange >to be around. Are you on something (seriously) or do you not know what an >adjective is? Subway is a noun, and the more prominent noun in the title. >Calling it Brooklyn would make me think of Spider. Subway is about as >good as you can get. And besides, who ever complains that a word in the >title of a song is not used the song, and that therefore people shouldn't >call it by that word? My younger brother has joined me in laughing at you. >Sorry. I should've made this a private message. Anyway, no offense, but >I'll continue to call it Subway. >-Mark To be correct, you could call it "Token" since in this case "Subway" is modifying "TOken". Besides, the song has only truly been called "Subway Token To Brooklyn" since that was posted on DAS at tmbg.com. The title "Token Back To Brooklyn" is better, it's in the lyrics. I don't mind if you laugh at me, because I'm laughing at you too. -ec PS. If you do continue to call it "Subway" expect to get confused responses from newbies, as well as other people who either haven't heard the song, or have never heard it referred to as "Subway Token to Brooklyn" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970511012459.0068f030@awod.com> Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 01:45:21 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Hagfish and Twistin' Here's a copy of Hagfish playing Twistin' live! http://www.hagfish.com/hag/sounds/hs4.ra Enjoy, and ttyl, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-130 ******************************