Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-133 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 133 Wednesday, 14 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Johns clothing TMBG: John Henry/Hancock TMBG: Used Bin Oddity TMBG: Johns clothing TMBG: you'll miss me Re: TMBG: Johns clothing TMBG: QUOTE! TMBG: DAS TMBG: Oregon Re: TMBG: album titles (Flood origin?) Re: TMBG: DAS TMBG: music TMBG: That domain name does not exist. Re: TMBG: They Got Lost Re: TMBG: Re: Amy Rigby Re: TMBG: music Re: TMBG: Re: Amy Rigby Re: TMBG: They Got Lost Re: TMBG: They Got Lost Re: TMBG: music TMBG: Miscellaneous List TMBG: Don't make me kill myself again. TMBG: All I can say is, WOW!! TMBG: Le Miz TMBG: (no subject) TMBG: too many messages TMBG: Arrrrgh! Digest deluge Re: TMBG: They Got Lost TMBG: JLK & Automobile Magazine TMBG: DAS Re: TMBG: Oregon Re: TMBG: John Henry/Hancock TMBG: Arrrrgh! Digest deluge Re: TMBG: 'Giants party faves TMBG: Mister vanity Hancock Re: TMBG: 'Giants party faves TMBG: Re: s/t Re: TMBG: They Got Lost Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Johns clothing Message-ID: <19970513.064942.9182.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 08:51:03 EDT Am i the only one that noticed that linnell is almost always wearing striped shirts?? half the time they're blue too. and then flans is constantly wearing that red plaid shirt. hmmm...that's my two cents of space on the digest for today. "They Might Be Giants love making music, but not just the imaginative new sound they make in their numerous live concerts, television or radio appearances. In these brand new recordings, They Might Be Giants bring you the color, the grandeur, and the warmth of the music of the past" love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9705131300.AA22934@comet.msd.measurex.com> Subject: TMBG: John Henry/Hancock Date: Tue, 13 May 97 9:00:34 EDT From: John Pletikapich There has been a great deal of misinformation posted about the meaning of John Hancock versus John Henry. I don't know why folks can't bother to look something up before they blast it out to the four corners of the world. From Webster's New World Dictionary of American Language: John Hancock [Colloq.] one's signature: so called because John Hancock's signature on the Declaration of Independence is bold and legible John Henry 1.) legendary, usually black, hero of an American ballad, who died while pitting his strength with a sledge hammer against that of a steam drill 2.) [Colloq.] one's signature -- john ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3378681D.AF9@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 06:10:16 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Used Bin Oddity Have you ever been in a music store and headed toward the "T" section of ROCK/POP even though you know you have everything? I find myself doing this often. A few days ago I was doing this at a local new/used shop and I saw a CD with a green cover with TMBG's name on it (and it wasn't FLOOD). In the glorious half second before I realized what it actually was, posibilities were about to flash through my head. It was a Factory Showroom "Advanced Promotional Copy" I usually don't buy something just because it has different packaging but in TMBG's case, I often do. The front and back cover are designed differently but are conceptually similar to the general release. No photography, just simple wallpaper and arrow graphics. The back shows the song titles on what appears to be product labels. The disc itself is different too with a mostly dark blue design. Otherwise it's the same. (Oh yeah except for the fact that instead of "Token" as the hidden track its got "They Got Lost"...I guess they decided to change it at the last minute before the actual release.) - B O N G O ___________________________________________ (P.S. That last part about "Got Lost" was a joke) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705131437.AA10228@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Johns clothing Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 10:37:04 -0400 (EDT) > Am i the only one that noticed that linnell is almost always wearing > striped shirts?? half the time they're blue too. and then flans is > constantly wearing that red plaid shirt. hmmm...that's my two cents of > space on the digest for today. > Actually most of the time I see Linnell he wears a plain t-shirt, such as a plain green shirt maybe with a pocket on the front. I saw him wear the Parthenon shirt, once as well. And of course, there was the Christmas gift shirt that he was given and he thought he was the only one wearing his Christmas gift. p.s. I was listening to 103.1 Annapolis and I heard the faint radio signal (I was somewhat outside of the signal area so it was fphasing in and out) and 25 O'Clock was playing. It turned out to be the XTC version and not the cover done by TMBG. It was still really cool to hear it! /Matt -- "True happiness lies beyond your fries and happy burgers." ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 09:41:55 CST Subject: TMBG: you'll miss me Message-ID: <5B01703D46@athena.valpo.edu> cause i'm going home. i'll miss the tmbg discussion, and you'll miss me, with effigies, lighting up your house like xmas trees while teardrops fall below your knees, you'll miss me with effigies. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love...A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." TMBG [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 212 Alumni Airwaves: 95.1 WVUR, Sundays 12-2am Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 11:55:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: Re: TMBG: Johns clothing Message-ID: Interesting note about Linnell's clothes and the show in Columbia, MO. That day, I was wearing a white t-shirt and brown corderoys. I ran into two friends that day wearing the exact same outfit. That night, Linnell was wearing a white t-shirt and brown corderoys. Weird. Lara Schmidt _________________ poet, writer, musician, webslave! _________________ www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~maneater www.missouri.edu/~moreview www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~c619888 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 13:52:51 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: TMBG: QUOTE! Message-Id: I just got out of a lecture for one of my classes, and the professor said, "Bancroft wasn't the only one whistling in the dark..." -Edward Tebbenhoff I thought it was really cool, because when he said it you could hear a whole bunch of people in the room muttering, "Whistling, whistling, whistling in the dark..." Coolios. :) Tarnished Silence 210 =========================================================== == Beyond the your wildest dreams, there is only one... == == == == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == == == =========================================================== ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705131845.AA10398@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: DAS Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 14:45:20 -0400 (EDT) Yahh, I got to incorporate TMBG or more specifically DAS into my work today. We use DUNS #s (Dun & Bradstreet #s) and I got to make one up for testing purposes and what did I pick, but 7183876962 whoo! /Matt -- "True happiness lies beyond your fries and happy burgers." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3378E626.6B0C@awod.com> Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 15:07:34 -0700 From: "Frank H." Subject: TMBG: Oregon I find the Oregon mispronounciation hilarious because there is this girl in my classes at school from Oregon and we constantly mispronounce it to annoy her. We claim that Oregon is a communist state and that it should be nuked off the planet. Imagine my joy (and her dismay) when my hello cds came and I heard that lovely tune :) ONWARD JOHN! DESTROY OREGON! Yo pal, Brother JohnBejezus ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 16:53:07 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970513165049_611523616@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: album titles (Flood origin?) In a message dated 97-05-12 23:32:23 EDT, dalee@husc.harvard.edu (Dan Lee) writes: << Flood- I dunno. Does anyone know why they names this album Flood? (assuming that the album pictures were chosen after the name was chosen) >> I saw on the Video Bootleg 2 an interview woth J&J on Request Video. This was about the time that Flood came out. They didn't give much of a reason when asked about the meaning, except "Flood is just a natural disaster" Interpret how you wish Also John Relph heads the FAQ as far as I know. Joel "Urinating In The Flowers" Gedalius ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 16:55:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970513165419_-1298684508@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS In a message dated 97-05-13 01:38:28 EDT, gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu (Geoffrey McNulty) writes: << does anyone know what the DAS is right now, i recognized it, but couldn't place it...>> The DAS is constantly changing. My Mom yelled at me because I called three times withing like ten minutes and I got Rat Patrol and two others (maybe Oregon) and something else (I forget) joel ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: music Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 14:01:00 -0700 i've noticed that the music on the .org page is only guitar chords. i know it's alot to ask, but it would be mass cool if people could start posting any other parts they have figured out. you know, piano, sax etc. of course this will never happen, but it would be cool if we could even some how get into the actual sheet music format. oh well. just a little thing i've been wanting. brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199705132110.RAA14895@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 13 May 1997 16:10:54 EDT Subject: TMBG: That domain name does not exist. CA>Work-related TMBG experience, almost like all the college and high school CA>guys who can use They songs as references for their schoolwork :) i'm on the yearbook staff at school. Today, I had the oppertunity to put the line "Where's my cat's pajamas?" at the end of some body copy. Our editor OKed it, so it's gonna stay. I'll try to stick they DAS number in there somewhere. Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3378DC07.7062@BlazeNet.net> Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:24:23 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: They Got Lost Tmbgneat@aol.com wrote: > > << does anyone know when TMBG played "they got lost" first? > Just wondering... Eric > >> > > if some one replies different to this please tell me... > my friend says that they got lost in st. louis....he says that right here > where i live is where they made that song....but I know he lies alot so if > you know the true answer to this please tellll me.....blabble... But when??? Does anyone know? How about telling me when you first saw it in concert? Please? Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3378DDA4.58CE@BlazeNet.net> Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:31:16 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Amy Rigby Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > > Who would be Cozette? Or Gavrosh?? > Josh Nielsen > > On 12 May 1997 15:01:46 GMT joshw@bgnet.bgsu.edu (Josh Woodward) writes: > > >Y'know, am I alone in thinking that there NEEDS to be a Les Miz > >production > >starring Flans as Valjean and Linnell as Javert? ;) I dunno, I just couldn't see John and John singing non-Giants serious stuff like there is in that show. It would be funny to see Flans as Valjean and watch him sing "Bring Him Home" like a girl... Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:33:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: music Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-May-97 TMBG: music by Rensink, Brenden BHS@bha > i've noticed that the music on the .org page is only guitar chords. i > know it's alot to ask, but it would be mass cool if people could start > posting any other parts they have figured out. you know, piano, sax > etc. of course this will never happen, but it would be cool if we could > even some how get into the actual sheet music format. oh well. just a > little thing i've been wanting. well, if it makes it any easier, most of the time, the accordion and piano chords follow the guitar chords - inversions are often hard to detect, and improvisation on simple chords isn't usually that difficult. The keyboard parts tend to be very simple - often either playing the chords as arpeggios or inverted chord/bass (i.e. each beat is split in half, where the first half is the chord and the second half is just the lower note of the chord). In some cases, like the verses of Dinner Bell, they are played with a normal bass/chord pattern. Sometimes, like in Meet James Ensor, the accordion will play a variation on the melody in the verses... The most interesting keyboard part, but one of the absolute easiest to play is the accordion in Subliminal. Twisting is right up there, too - just repeat the intro for most of the song... The problem with archiving these is that most of the more complex parts require sheet music notation to write out - you can't use tablature for a complex piano part... Another word of advice - just play the stuff, and go with whatever sounds right... that's usually what I do, unless I know for sure... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:43:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Amy Rigby Message-ID: > > Who would be Cozette? Or Gavrosh?? > > Josh Nielsen > > > > >Y'know, am I alone in thinking that there NEEDS to be a Les Miz > > >production > > >starring Flans as Valjean and Linnell as Javert? ;) > I dunno, I just couldn't see John and John singing non-Giants serious > stuff like there is in that show. It would be funny to see Flans as > Valjean and watch him sing "Bring Him Home" like a girl... Eric > Maybe Flans would be better as Messr. Chauvignat (Master of the House).. Now wouldn't *that* be inetersting! Or perhaps Linnell as Marius- I can see tha much better, although his voice doesn't really suit the role. Actually, neither John has what could be considered a theater voice; both have very poppy voices. I dunno. eMo ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:46:05 -0400 (EDT) From: "(*)" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Got Lost Message-ID: well..um...this was pretty recent...but the first show that I remember hearing "They Got Lost" was at the Iron Horse,in Northampton, Ma. i think at the end of august, or the beginning of december 1996...buti doubt that this was the first performance. love olivia ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705132145.AA10565@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: They Got Lost Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:45:09 -0400 (EDT) > > << does anyone know when TMBG played "they got lost" first? > > Just wondering... Eric > > >> > > > > if some one replies different to this please tell me... > > my friend says that they got lost in st. louis....he says that right here > > where i live is where they made that song....but I know he lies alot so if > > you know the true answer to this please tellll me.....blabble... > But when??? Does anyone know? How about telling me when you first saw > it in concert? Please? Eric The first time I saw it as in E-town, PA in April of '96. /Matt -- "True happiness lies beyond your fries and happy burgers." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:50:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: music Message-ID: > > well, if it makes it any easier, most of the time, the accordion and > piano chords follow the guitar chords - inversions are often hard to > detect, and improvisation on simple chords isn't usually that difficult. > In fact, most of the time instrumental improvs make the song sound better, less rehearsed. If you ever get a vocal copy of a popular song (for instance, "YMCA" or "Stayin' Alive") and you read through it you have to be exceedingly careful of what you sing, because if you're singing what's on the CD or radio, 99 times out of 100 it won't be what's written. Most of the time the vocalist/instrumentalist will ad lib at least part of the music. > Another word of advice - just play the stuff, and go with whatever > sounds right... that's usually what I do, unless I know for sure... > YEAH! I'm trying to find a guitar/piano copy of "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd (sorry, Mike... I had to say it!) because I already know the vocals so well I don't need the vocal score to sing it. It's a lot more difficult to pick out a piano part than a vocal, though, and usually more difficult to play than to sing something off the CD. I really only need the music for my accompanist and guitarist. Elitza PS. Yes, I was planning on singing Pink Floyd, but since solo auditions for the spring concert are Friday and I don't have the music yet, I'm going with a Springsteen number. ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 18:37:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970513183639_1008147440@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Miscellaneous List Well, this message was spit back at me during the Great List Drought of '97 last week, so here it is again in all its out-dated glory: xFlood Logo- I was looking through a program for a TV & Film convention the xother day. One of the ads was for the Local 417 or something of TV and film xpeople, something like the FMTIE. Now their logo was the exact same design xas the Flood one. It had the F M T I E (or whatever) where the FLOOD were xand the 417 in the middle. I was wondering if this was a common union thing, xor what? I dunno, but I've seen the very same logo at the ends of the credits of many, many movies... it's way down there with the Motion Picture Assoc. of America logo and the "All events depicted are ficticious blah blah blah" notices. xa moment, I have to get something out... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? WHY HAVEN'T xTHEY RELEASED HELL HOTEL YET!!!... sorry about that. But anyway, had that xsong been on the first album, it would have been right up there with such xclassics as 32 footsteps, she's an angel, puppet head, and rhythm section xwant ad. Yes, yes, oh god YES! Hell Hotel: the best song They never released... I don't think they've ever played it in concert, either. Such a travesty of justice. I wonder how successful a "Free Hell Hotel" campaign would be. "Dear Friend: We have reached a critical point in our campaign. Thanks to YOUR DONATIONS, we have been able to boost the status of Hell Hotel from a neglected demo song which is never played to a neglected but beloved demo song which is never played. But we still have far to go to truly *Free Hell Hotel*. Remember, the ultimate success of this project depends on YOU! Check one of the boxes below to indicate the amount..." Hmmm. May (christy@tmbg.org) and tell me your new summer address for OMLT shipping. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 18:48:00 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: Don't make me kill myself again. Message-Id: Ok, um well. I think I did a bad thing. I was bored outta my skull with only a pay phone to entertain me, and so I started calling DAS collect via AT&T. Well, I overdid it a little bit, and I think that it might not be possible to do that trick anymore. My sincerest apologies. And... if anyone can prove me wrong, and say that it does work 1-800-call-att, please tell me. ------------------------------ From: Jenifredem@aol.com Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 18:58:26 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970513185706_875418595@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: All I can say is, WOW!! You guys really are great. Man, I really feel the love in the air. Everybody is so nice. Thanks sooo much for all the encouragement. Guess I'll stick around for a while....Now, enough of my little drama. Back to your regularly scheduled TMBG discussions...... Thanks so much, again. -Jennifer ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 19:43:37 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <3378FCA9.57A6@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Le Miz > > >Y'know, am I alone in thinking that there NEEDS to be a Les Miz > >production > >starring Flans as Valjean and Linnell as Javert? ;) Is it just me or does anyone else think Linnell should be Valjean and vice versa. As for Cozette and Gavrosh, They should pick kids from the schoolchildren singing particle man Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 19:46:34 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <3378FD5A.6FD3@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: (no subject) It would be funny to see Flans as > > Valjean and watch him sing "Bring Him Home" like a girl... Eric > > > Maybe Flans would be better as Messr. Chauvignat (Master of the House).. > Now wouldn't *that* be inetersting! > Yeah sorry for quoting and not saying much.:+) Bye, Vera ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: too many messages Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 22:05:29 EST Message-Id: <199705140205.4233100@cyberia.com> has anyone noticed that their have been more and more messages lately. Today was my friends birthday(eric) We sang him the Your older then you've ever been song!!!!!! My computer is screwed up! I am beeing successful in making more people fans of teh twin quasers. Wish me luck everyone! I can't think of anything else, bye! Steve ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 21:55:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970513215202_-1700632724@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Arrrrgh! Digest deluge After surviving the TMBG List Drought, I now find myself overwhelmed in the great Digest Deluge. I don't feel like checking through all the ones I haven't read yet, so here's some topics which may or may not have already been addressed: For all those who asked, John Linnell's b-day is June 12, making him... um... Gemini. Not aquarius (although *I* am!) Re: death as recurring theme: John Flansburgh: "Death is sort of our personal writing crutch. If you run out of ideas, get out the revolver." Guitar World magazine: it is the MARCH issue which has the article written by Flans. It is not really interesting to someone like me who knows nothing about guitars other than that they go "twang". It talks mostly about technical tips, like how not to get shocked by the mic. However, there is a lovely picture of John holding his custom guitar in that "I am a cool-guy rock star" pose. I know somebody already asked, (go ahead, beat me for repeating a question) but where would I send this lovely belated birthday card for Mr. Flansburgh? Can I send it via the Williamsburgh address, or what? --Christy ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: Re: TMBG: They Got Lost Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 22:19:14 EST Message-Id: <199705140219.4242500@cyberia.com> >> > << does anyone know when TMBG played "they got lost" first? >> > Just wondering... Eric >> > >> >> > >> > if some one replies different to this please tell me... >> > my friend says that they got lost in st. louis....he says that right here >> > where i live is where they made that song....but I know he lies alot so if >> > you know the true answer to this please tellll me.....blabble... >> But when??? Does anyone know? How about telling me when you first saw >> it in concert? Please? Eric >The first time I saw it as in E-town, PA in April of '96. >/Matt > AWESOME, that was the first TMBG concert I ever went too!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, that brings back memories!!!!!!! >-- > "True happiness lies beyond your fries and happy burgers." > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705140212.WAA16131@mail.visi.net> From: "Bluedawg" Subject: TMBG: JLK & Automobile Magazine Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 21:34:13 -0400 This isn't the first time that Jamie Lincoln Kitman has contributed an article to Automobile Magazine. I posted a couple of months ago about his Father's Presidential Campaign sponsorship by Land Rover. Kitman, himself, drives a 1995 Range Rover. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg Jeep Driver, Poker Time! telnet://the-next-girl.cs.uchicago.edu:7000 ObWittySig: "My cat's breath smells like cat food."--Ralph Wiggum ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 21:56:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970513215512_-1197626059@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: DAS Since no one has mentioned it, ill say--- Das plays a new song every time you call. I call for like hours staright. Is pretty cool. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 18:48:29 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Oregon Message-ID: <19970513.185659.8582.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Expect domestic turmoil !!!!!!!! Josh Nielsen (Oregonian) On Tue, 13 May 1997 15:07:34 -0700 "Frank H." writes: ONWARD JOHN! DESTROY OREGON! >Yo pal, >Brother JohnBejezus > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 23:33:01 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <3379326D.518E5681@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry/Hancock I can't believe Webster's has decided that people mix up the John Henry/Hancock thing so much that they should just make it correct! That's sick! talk about a bastardization of the English language...even if it is only colloquialisms! things to look for in the next edition: 'ect.' will mean the same as 'etc.' 'nucular' will be an accepted spelling for 'nuclear' Graham will play a 'bass' OR 'base' guitar (sorry, I guess non-bassists don't get that nearly as much as the rest of you) sorry for ranting to the list...in thinking about it, I probably shouldn't even send this... Maybe if I mention this: I heard a rumor about a live show during the time Frank Black opened for Them where they sort of traded songs...Frank played some Giants and They played some Frank... Is this Rumor? Is it truth? Is it recorded? later-hosen Whim [currently listening to: My refridgerator hum ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 21:55:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970513215202_-1700632724@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Arrrrgh! Digest deluge After surviving the TMBG List Drought, I now find myself overwhelmed in the great Digest Deluge. I don't feel like checking through all the ones I haven't read yet, so here's some topics which may or may not have already been addressed: For all those who asked, John Linnell's b-day is June 12, making him... um... Gemini. Not aquarius (although *I* am!) Re: death as recurring theme: John Flansburgh: "Death is sort of our personal writing crutch. If you run out of ideas, get out the revolver." Guitar World magazine: it is the MARCH issue which has the article written by Flans. It is not really interesting to someone like me who knows nothing about guitars other than that they go "twang". It talks mostly about technical tips, like how not to get shocked by the mic. However, there is a lovely picture of John holding his custom guitar in that "I am a cool-guy rock star" pose. I know somebody already asked, (go ahead, beat me for repeating a question) but where would I send this lovely belated birthday card for Mr. Flansburgh? Can I send it via the Williamsburgh address, or what? --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:52:56 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: 'Giants party faves Message-ID: <19970513.180215.4062.0.Ohlert@juno.com> From: ohlert@juno.com (Peter Ohlert) On Mon, 12 May 97 21:07:08 EDT "Pooh Head Bucket?" writes: > > "She Was A Hotel Detective" (disco version) umm..I've never heard of a Disco ver. of Hotel Detective, Where can one find this track??? -Peter ohlert@juno.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705140322.WAA22555@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Mister vanity Hancock Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 23:14:23 -0500 hehheehehehehehe! ^_^ Are the people who confuse John Henry with Hohn Hancock the same people who confuse Mr. Klaw with Dr. Claw??? Mike "Next time, Flansburgh... NEXT TIME! MUHUAHAHAHA!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970513212705.006d30b0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 21:27:36 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: 'Giants party faves At 05:52 PM 5/13/97 PST, you wrote: >> "She Was A Hotel Detective" (disco version) >umm..I've never heard of a Disco ver. of Hotel Detective, Where can one >find this track??? It's the "new" Hotel Detective (i.e. the one on Back to Skull, not the one on Pink). It's very much a disco song. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I resemble only half of the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 18:44:42 PST Subject: TMBG: Re: s/t Message-ID: <19970513.185659.8582.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) On the other hand, when I was in Rome I saw a copy of In Utero with "special import tracks". It had one more song on it than the US version. Josh Nielsen On 12 May 1997 02:07:50 GMT ctyner@awod.com (Adam Tyner) writes: >In article <5l5ov3$7rm$1@infoserver.bgsu.edu>, joshw@bgnet.bgsu.edu >A few months ago I checked with a place in Italy that had s/t, and it >has the >exact same tracklist as the American version. :/ > >TTYL, > >-Adam > >-- >/----=========================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ >The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! >ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 > > ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 01:25:22 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970514012521_438015465@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: They Got Lost << >> > << does anyone know when TMBG played "they got lost" first? >> > Just wondering... Eric >> > >> >> > >> > if some one replies different to this please tell me... >> > my friend says that they got lost in st. louis....he says that right here >> > where i live is where they made that song....but I know he lies alot so if >> > you know the true answer to this please tellll me.....blabble... >> But when??? Does anyone know? How about telling me when you first saw >> it in concert? Please? Eric >The first time I saw it as in E-town, PA in April of '96. >/Matt > As far as I know, "They Got Lost" was first performed during the Thursday night series of shows at the Mercury Lounge in March of 96, one of which I had the great privilege of attending. These shows also featured the debut of "Older," "On the Drag," "Reprehensible," "SEXXY," and many others, most of which, oddly enough, didn't make it onto Factory Showroom. Kay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-133 ******************************