Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-135 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 135 Friday, 16 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: The song currently bouncing around in my head.. Re: TMBG: In my head.... TMBG: Oh yeah, baby. TMBG: misc t Re: TMBG: misc t TMBG: 1000000? I don' tink so Re: TMBG: In my head.... TMBG: sorry. CORT please read Re: TMBG: In my head.... Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Platinum? TMBG: *1992 tonite show tmbg appearence*/ Linnel's tightie-whities Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet Re: TMBG: In my head.... TMBG: They Got Lost Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet Re: TMBG: In my head.... TMBG: The Business of the Giants Re: TMBG: In my head.... TMBG: The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield... Re: TMBG: Clarinet TMBG: geez Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet Re: TMBG: 1000000? I don' tink so Re: TMBG: 'Giants party faves Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet TMBG: Insect Thing Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet (or not) NON-TMBG: Leaving for Summer! Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet (or not) TMBG: tour Re: TMBG: Insect Thing Re: TMBG: Automobile mag question Re: TMBG: 'Giants party faves TMBG: Re: Johns clothing TMBG: John Henry Confusion Re: TMBG: Insect Thing TMBG: To Moose TMBG: Spanish? TMBG: Linnell's Hair TMBG: Linnell TMBG: TBMG: song-on-the-brain TMBG: PolkTrivia TMBG: Linnell Re: TMBG: Linnell Re: TMBG: Linnell's Hair Re: TMBG: The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield... Re: TMBG: Clarinet Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet (or not) TMBG: PolkTrivia TMBG: Van Re: TMBG: Linnell's Hair Re: TMBG: Linnell's Hair Re: TMBG: Linnell's Hair TMBG: Reprehensible clarinets, Mono Posters, and other stuffs Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 03:13:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: The song currently bouncing around in my head.. Message-ID: I've got "Older" stuck in my head. Well, the only part of it I remember, having only heard the song once. It's like I'm playing vinyl, and it keeps skipping at this one fair-sized chunk. As opposed to a little section, where I'd just keep having the word "older" repeated over and over and over.. I seem to get songs I don't have any copies of in any way, shape or form stuck in my head. The one before this was WDTSS, but I snatched up the last copy at Borders, and I'm feeling MUCH BETTER now.. Merf. I think I had dream with Linnell the other night, but I don't remember it. I've just got the one bit from my dream with the hand-sized giant mutant bees stuck in my head. I think I'm on repeat. I think I'm on repeat. I think I'm on..*CLICK* Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 02:25:27 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: TMBG: In my head.... Message-Id: > >Have any of the rest of you had one particular section on on particular song > >stuck in you brain? > so while taking my final in Ecological Consequences of the City class (i know, i know, you're all jealous...:) i had Weep Day spinning round and around in my brain, prohibiting me from forming any sort of intelligent argument for an essay. oh well, who needs grades when you have the Giants? jillian * * * * * I AM HERE TO LIVE OUTLOUD * * * * * jillian buser woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 09:42:42 -0700 (PDT) From: FRoG Subject: TMBG: Oh yeah, baby. Message-ID: I keep getting Rhythm Section Want Ad stuck in my head. And it's just driving me nuts. Especially the part in the middle that breaks out into some crazy polka-like style. "And here's the reason why..." -Ryan Andres (No others need apply) ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 18:56:49 +0100 Message-Id: <97051518564902@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: misc t In response to whoever and if you want me to quote, tough, you should have been paying attention. 1 Yes, listen to the various music appart from TMBG only if you include the Dickies and the Dead kennedys in your cd stack or if you are as old as me you might still have vinyl! This way you will appreciate dig my grave for the fantastic little song it is. p.s Maybe if John Henry *had* used a pick axe instead of a hammer he would have lasted longer - have you ever tried to DIG with a hammer? Yvonne " where did his eye go? I don't know" Sanders ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705151803.NAA08568@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: misc t Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 13:54:41 -0500 > p.s Maybe if John Henry *had* used a pick axe instead of a hammer he would > have lasted longer - have you ever tried to DIG with a hammer? To everyone who doesn't read.. I fully believe that John Henry was in a race against a machine that DROVE STAKES into RAILROAD LINES to keep them secured to THE GROUND. You see, before teleportation matrix availability, the Humans on Earth got around by using steam powered transportation. Trains. Not Subterranean Hole Borers. Mike "Wondering what all you Hancocky-Henries were doing during your learning times at school" Leffel "Hey everybody! Let's start the show!...HSSSSSS!" ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: 1000000? I don' tink so Message-ID: <19970515.101459.4495.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:09:43 EDT I seriously doubt that TMBG has sold 1,000,000 copies of Factory Showroom to date. This would mean that it has sold over about 125,000 copies every month since its release in October. Billboard charts certainly do not indicate this. Even the somewhat promoted Flood took 5 years to reach 800,000 copies. And they were on Tiny Toons. FS doesn't even have a stinkin' video to back it up. The figure is probably more around 200,000. Larry "Who needs the Kwikie-Mart?" - Apu Nahasapeenapetilon http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 15 May 97 15:11 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: In my head.... >so while taking my final in Ecological Consequences of the City class (i >know, i know, you're all jealous...:) i had Weep Day spinning round and >around in my brain, prohibiting me from forming any sort of intelligent >argument for an essay. Heh heh... My freshman year I was competing in the Impromptu category in forensics, and I'll never forget the time I sat there trying to form a pro or con veiwpoint to the editorial while "I've Got a Match" paraded through my head. I didn't do very well... Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970515152551.00a3c5d0@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:25:51 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: sorry. CORT please read hello. sorry to post to the list, but does anyone know if Cortney is A) still on the list, B) away from school for the summer, C) has a different email address for the summer. and if you're reading this, CORT, please email me. -ec ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:26:29 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705151926.PAA21274@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: In my head.... >>Have any of the rest of you had one particular section on on particular song >>stuck in you brain? > > Yes! The part of Your Own Worst Enemy that goes "and the soong >theeeey plaaay is that guy with the messed up faaace..." > >Kirsten Yeah, sometimes when I'm mowing the lawn, I'll start singing that and not even notice that I'm singing until I get done. Weird. Marty ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B682B.1E9D@BlazeNet.net> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:46:51 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Platinum? > Is FS that popular with "normal" mainstream folks? Or is it just so many > "true fans" (don't start that again) buying the album? I guess that there are more fans than when the other albums are being released or more people are hearing about it from fans. It certainly can't be from air play... Either way, that's good for TMBG. Eric ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 14:51:23 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: From: ageerl@artic.edu (amy beth geerling) Subject: TMBG: *1992 tonite show tmbg appearence*/ Linnel's tightie-whities If anyone has this on tape, get it out and watch this funny detail that you may have missed: watch for the guest after them....she comes over from behind the curtains, and j&j get up to move down the couch......flans extends his hand to shake hers while she turns to jay and inadvertantly disses flansie......they move down the line and sit down....jay greets this new guest and begins the interview...meanwhile, the johns realize that they left their talk show supply of water in front of the new guest.......you first see linnel point to the water ....pause...then you see both hands going for the water......linnel gets it first, while flansburgh's hand is still going for the mug....linnel pulls the mug out of view and all you can see is flansie mimicking the action of grabbing a mug and pulling it out of view.... it's really really funny....so check it out i know that this was random, so forgive me.... one more thing I discovered while reviewing my tmbg video archives: you can see linnels' tightie-whities in the ana ng video have fun looking for em!! ciao for now -amy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B6985.51A3@BlazeNet.net> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:52:37 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet > > you're on the right track to instrumental perfection, but you took a > > wrong turn. The violin doesn't have spit valves and you don't really > > have to polish it, and it sounds much better than a clarinet. Some > > Now wait a minute... The violin doesn't sound good unless the player > is very skilled. I have only heard one or two good sounding high school > orchestras, and when you consider that most of the people in these would > have been playing for at least 5 years, this makes a considerable > statement. Well, I must be one of those great high school orchestra players. (slight exageration...) You have a point. It is hard to learn, but it does sound great if played by a compatent musician. Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B6B0C.4EB8@BlazeNet.net> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:59:08 -0400 From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Subject: Re: TMBG: In my head.... > Heh heh... My freshman year I was competing in the Impromptu > category in forensics, and I'll never forget the time I sat there trying > to form a pro or con veiwpoint to the editorial while "I've Got a Match" > paraded through my head. I didn't do very well... > > Kirsten I'd imagine not... I've had TMBG songs in my head during Debate rounds and It is my goal to put a quote in my arguements when just this kind of thing happens. Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B6F63.4061@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:17:34 -0500 From: "Bill J. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: They Got Lost Giants Friends, "They Got Lost" is about the Giants getting lost around St. Louis, MO according to John and John's story about it before they played it about a year ago here. I don't have any idea, however, when the first time thay played it was. Secondly, in reference to John and John's clothing, When I saw the Giants in St. Louis in January, Flans commented that he got his new (and snappy pseudo-plaid) shirt for Christmas. Then Linnell in his usual black T-shirt said in true Linnell-humor, "I got this shirt for Christmas too. Am I being facetious? You don't know." I like Linnell's dark deadpan humor. Peace in John and John, Billy from St. Louis P.S. "Theme From Flood" was a cute little joke, a generic parody of some fictitious cheezy 40's radio program intro, that's all, nothing more, nothing less... no Beethoven symphony... no "Ana Ng," no "Don't Let's Start," and it was never meant to be So let's leave the poor little song alone. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B7186.B36@erols.com> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:26:46 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet Wilson Dorward wrote: > > > > you're on the right track to instrumental perfection, but you took a > > > wrong turn. The violin doesn't have spit valves and you don't really > > > have to polish it, and it sounds much better than a clarinet. Some > > > > Now wait a minute... The violin doesn't sound good unless the player > > is very skilled. I have only heard one or two good sounding high school > > orchestras, and when you consider that most of the people in these would > > have been playing for at least 5 years, this makes a considerable > > statement. > Well, I must be one of those great high school orchestra players. > (slight exageration...) You have a point. It is hard to learn, but it > does sound great if played by a compatent musician. Eric Well, it *is* harder to learn to play a stringed instrument. . . That's why they're better. Tracy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B9DC5.445E@journalx.com> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:35:33 -0700 From: Shane Ham Organization: Journal X Subject: Re: TMBG: In my head.... Wilson Dorward wrote: > > I'd imagine not... I've had TMBG songs in my head during Debate rounds > and It is my goal to put a quote in my arguements when just this kind of > thing happens. Eric "I'm not done, and I won't be 'till my head falls off . . ." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B73CD.65A1@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:36:43 -0500 From: "Bill J. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: The Business of the Giants Dear Giant Friends, I almost sent something to the list last week about how many copies Giants albums have sold, but my email wasn't working. Now everyone is discussing it, and that is cool. There is no way without the support of a video that FS could have sold anywhere near 1,000,000 copies. Which brings us back to the oxymoron that S-E-X-X-Y had to be popular to have a video and had to have a video to be popular. The promotion department at Elektra probably hoped that S-E-X-X-Y's catchiness and perhaps it's retro-disco-esqe qualities would send it to the top of the charts, which of course, it didn't. Til My Head Falls Off, which is everyone's chioce here, would make a good single, too. It is catchy, has all the normal Giants characteristics, and has a hard edge, which might appeal to the retro-punk movement. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if Elektra just let FS "die," as such, since it probably hasn't been a huge money-maker, so far. I don't know if the choice of the single is up to John and John, Elektra, or both. It is interesting that when R.E.M. released "New Adventures In Hi-Fi," they released "E-Bow the Letter" as the first single. Warner Bros. didn't like this at all, being a totally non-radio friendly song. R.E.M. has the contractual power to release whatever they want, however. Yet Warner Bros. was right (from a commercial viewpoint), "New Adventures" was the first REM album in ten years not to go platinum. Personally, they could sell only two records a year, as long as I had one of them! Peace in John and John, Billy from St. Louis ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199705152043.QAA10945@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 15 May 1997 15:44:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: In my head.... KB>>so while taking my final in Ecological Consequences of the City class (i KB>>know, i know, you're all jealous...:) i had Weep Day spinning round and KB>>around in my brain, prohibiting me from forming any sort of intelligent KB>>argument for an essay. KB> Heh heh... My freshman year I was competing in the Impromptu KB>category in forensics, and I'll never forget the time I sat there trying KB>to form a pro or con veiwpoint to the editorial while "I've Got a Match" KB>paraded through my head. I didn't do very well... KB>Kirsten Ahhhh! A fellow speech person, and a limited prep-er at that. Sophomore year, I used "Letterbox" in a extemp speech about the Unabomber. It was pretty cool... Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com PS-> I've never understood why speech is called "Forensics". I've always thought that forensics had something to do dead people (exquisit or not). ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:50:16 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705152050.QAA23717@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield... I can't tell from the song. Is the plural of "samurai" "samurai" or "samurais"? >I also want to know why They left some great songs off FS. The "official" explanation: with all the mini-tour songs and "SenSurround," FS would have had 22 songs. They thought that John Henry was a bit... imposing, so they wanted to shorten the album up a bit. But in attempting to do so, they discovered that there were really two groups of songs: the ones that made it on to the album, and the remaining mini-tour songs (SenSurround was in the first group, Unforgotten the second.) and that each group worked better together than split up. Rather than divide the mini-tour songs up, they decided to save them as a block for an EP or later album (that is, "Insect Hospital.") >And why do I like the "big-band" Reprehensible better than the >"jazz" Reprehensible? I have no clue. The "big band" version pales in comparison to the Madison, WI version, IMHO. Flan's voice grates on it, and it's just a bit *too* cheery. >does anyone know when TMBG played "they got lost" first? I believe the first playing of this song was at the E-Town show. It's next appearance was at one of the Mercury Lounge shows in May. >Did anyone think about factory showroom? I remember someone saying to >me that Factory Showroom sold 1,000,000 records I doubt this *very* much. Flood had *much* bigger "hit songs" than Factory Showroom could *dream* of having. TMBG have shrunk and shrunk some more, sales wise, since Flood and unless they have an ultra-killer single *and* support from Elektra (neither of which is likely in the least) I doubt they'll ever even see Flood-level sales again. I mean, hell, even R.E.M. just made platinum with NAiHF, and that was out a month earlier than FS. >What I'm now confused about is why Mr. Kitman said that They have *one* gold >album and *another* approaching platinum. I would expect he meant that Flood was approaching platinum, and screwed up. Josh Count the arms, the legs, the heads, and then divide by five. /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:01:08 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Clarinet Message-ID: > And why do > > clarinet solos rock so much? > Because they're played by a clarinet. A Clarinet has no spit valves or > clunky parts to polish and even if you're bad at playing it it doesn't > sound too bad. Plus it was a cat in Peter and the Wolf. Actually, let's think about this. I have one word for you....squeaking. And a few more...incredibly high, eardrum-bursting notes. 'nuff said. Bill Tatalovich ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B792E.57C@erols.com> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:03:56 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: TMBG: geez I just remembered that a few years ago I went out on a limb and wrote a little They Might Be Giants poem to a boy who went to my school and wore the same Giants shirt that I used to wear. He became very afraid of me and avoided me for the rest of the year, and the following year until he graduated. It was very embarrassing. But hey, I thought it would be cool to make a friend who liked tmbg. Too bad he didn't understand. Sorry, BJ! Any other tmbg-related horror stories? (thread- kill it if you like) Tracy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:09:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet Message-ID: > > Well, I must be one of those great high school orchestra players. > > (slight exageration...) You have a point. It is hard to learn, but it > > does sound great if played by a compatent musician. Eric > > Well, it *is* harder to learn to play a stringed instrument. . . That's > why they're better. > Tracy > Think about how difficult it is to teach your own vocal cords to stretch and resonate properly and well, with style, dynamics, and all the rest, not being able to blame how it sounds on anything but yourself unless you had a ***really*** bad teacher, without damaging them (and it's very easy to do that, especially if you are a contralto or true bass). I consider voice the hardest thing I've ever done music-wise, out of cornet, violin, and voice. Elitza ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:14:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970515171220_335568719@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: 1000000? I don' tink so Why dont you try being a little more positive And quit bad mouthing TMBG!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 23:31:20 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: 'Giants party faves Message-ID: <19970515.171717.10590.0.Ohlert@juno.com> From: ohlert@juno.com (Peter Ohlert) On Wed, 14 May 97 09:39:37 EDT "Pooh Head Bucket?" writes: >hey, > >It's not actually a disco version of the song from the pink album, but >a brand >new song with the same title. It's on the "Back to Skull" EP, which >came out >just before "John Henry." It has some amazing stuff on it. It's still >very >available. Check it out. > >-tom. Very available??? I've looked hard, and cant seem to find it, any help on that would be welcomed. (Also still looking for the Guitar single) Thanx, Peter ohlert@juno.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B7E3D.4644@erols.com> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:21:01 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet Elitza Nicolaou wrote: > > > > Well, I must be one of those great high school orchestra players. > > > (slight exageration...) You have a point. It is hard to learn, but it > > > does sound great if played by a compatent musician. Eric > > > > Well, it *is* harder to learn to play a stringed instrument. . . That's > > why they're better. > > Tracy > > > Think about how difficult it is to teach your own vocal cords to stretch > and resonate properly and well, with style, dynamics, and all the rest, > not being able to blame how it sounds on anything but yourself unless you > had a ***really*** bad teacher, without damaging them (and it's very easy > to do that, especially if you are a contralto or true bass). I consider > voice the hardest thing I've ever done music-wise, out of cornet, violin, > and voice. > > Elitza Okay, you win, but out of instruments that are not part of one's body, strings are the hardest. Or maybe you don't win -- since other instruments are not part of one's body, mightn't it be harder to use them. I'm not trying to start an argument, only a conversation. Tracy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970515172456.00a376d0@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:24:56 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Insect Thing Which tentative title is more acurate: "Insect Hospital" or "Thing" Did either come from The Mouth Of John?? Re: Joshua Hall-Bachner's dismal foreshadowing of a joyless future: NOOO! That's not what was supposed to happen! The world shouldn't end that way! The prophets were wrong! That's not how it was meant to be! NOOOO! And samurai is plural and singular, I think. -ec ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B8388.1E93@erols.com> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:43:36 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet (or not) Elitza Nicolaou wrote: > > > > > Okay, you win, but out of instruments that are not part of one's body, > > strings are the hardest. Or maybe you don't win -- since other > > instruments are not part of one's body, mightn't it be harder to use > > them. I'm not trying to start an argument, only a conversation. > > Tracy > > > I think that it's more difficult to teach your own body to do something to > itself than to teach it to do something to something else. (Did that make > sense?) For instance, anyone can jiggle a jumpin-jack toy, but not > everyone can do those same moves themselves. Or you can play notes on a > keyboard, but many can't sing those same notes. > > Elitza Yeah, but for argument's sake, people learn from early childhood how to manipulate their own facilities; whereas with other instruments that are not within their body, they have to learn later (when learning is slower) and without the advantage of having the instrument connected to them. You can't feel an instrument; you don't have nerves that extend into it (I hope not). And you don't always have it with you. But hey, I think that any musical talent is commendable. *I* couldn't be a singer, and I'm no maestro at the violin, either. But I love music, and tmbg, who graciously use both voice and strings to placate us (and, what the hey, we'll include band instruments in that, too). Tracy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:09:41 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: NON-TMBG: Leaving for Summer! Message-Id: Greetings, all! I'm going to be leaving the list for the summer, but I hope you all have a wonderful time and a great summer! Listen to They and be happy! In case you care: My web page: http://paul.luther.edu/~prallena My email: tsilence@usa.net Laters, and thanks for the discussions! Tarnished Silence 210 =========================================================== == Beyond the your wildest dreams, there is only one... == == == == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == == == =========================================================== ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337B85F9.6EB2@erols.com> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:54:01 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet (or not) > Thing is, for most people there is very little to no pain and almost no > risk of damaging yourself with a wind or string instrument, whereas if you > sing for an instant too long you cause yourself pain and damaged vocal > cords. Our director is forever harping at me to get speech lessons to > raise my speaking voice two steps because it's so low pitched and > straining the vocal cords so much. > > Thank god for ent's... who can diagnose > nodules early enough that they can be removed... > > Elitza Hmmmm. . . I've had a few run-ins with ent's myself. . . But that has nothing to do with this. This is very strange -- I'm getting your messages responding to my post before I get my post. Well, can we agree that strings are harder than band instruments? Tracy ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: tour Message-ID: <19970515.161512.9582.14.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 18:16:06 EDT i think there is seriously something wrong with me. i went to the official sites 'tour info' page and when it said none currently listed or whatever i was sad!! =( *sigh* anyways, i've now hiked my phone bill up about a bazillion dollars cuz i've gotten through to DAS about 10 or so times in the past week (be jealous) and well, let's just remember that calling from denver to NY isn't cheap! =) what the spork does automobile magazine look like? They Might Be Giants love making music, but not just the imaginative new sound they make in their numerous live concerts, television or radio appearances. In these brand new recordings, They Might Be Giants bring you the color, the grandeur, and the warmth of the music of the past love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970515182439.0069cd0c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 18:27:23 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Thing At 05:24 PM 5/15/97 -0400, you wrote: >Which tentative title is more acurate: "Insect Hospital" or "Thing" > >Did either come from The Mouth Of John?? I believe both did. Thing was mentioned in a chat not too long after the release of FS, IIRC, and Insect Hospital has only been mentioned in the past month or so... I'd say IH is more accurate just because it's more recent. >And samurai is plural and singular, I think. Yup, that's right. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 18:29:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970515182541_-1767277267@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Automobile mag question Is it the May or June issue? I got the May issue and I don't see the article although I see an article by Kitman. Is he a regular writer for Automobile Mag? joel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970515153622.006c7164@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:36:28 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: 'Giants party faves At 11:31 PM 5/14/97 PST, you wrote: >> It's on the "Back to Skull" EP, which >>came out >>just before "John Henry." It has some amazing stuff on it. It's still >>very >>available. Check it out. >Very available??? I've looked hard, and cant seem to find it, any help on >that would be welcomed. (Also still looking for the Guitar single) Hum. Dunno what to tell you, big guy. I guess it depends on the whim of whoever's doing the purchasing at your favorite music store. My local Tower doesn't carry Back To Skull, but the one in my hometown does, as does my hometown's used-music store. It's still available through the Info Club and prolly CD Now, too. As for the Guitar single, good luck. It's out of print and no longer sold through the Info Club. Try haunting used-music stores; it might eventually turn up. Everyone go out and look at the Automobile magazine article! Such cute pictures of the Johns! (I refer specifically to the shot of Linnell on the top of the first page and the shot of Flans on the last page.) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I resemble only half of the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 18:58:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970515185600_155136286@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Johns clothing > Am i the only one that noticed that linnell is almost always wearing > striped shirts?? half the time they're blue too. Gods, yes. By coincidence, my favorite color is blue, and I like stripes. Particularly on Linnell. They have a way of making him look intellectual and vaguely beat-poet-like. and those godlike cheekbones...uhm, did I say that out loud?...never mind...=) and while we're on the subject, have people gotten a load of the Johns' apparent affinity for Converse shoes, the coolest on the planet? moose glazed with coniferous green, glazed with excitement and dread, exhausted from oversleep, awake but still in bed... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 07:19:52 PST Subject: TMBG: John Henry Confusion Message-ID: <19970515.163824.10382.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) When you qoute the dictionary, please quote all of it. You left out an important part. The origin. In Webster's Collegiate Dictionary it says: John Hancock: n [from the prominence of his signature on the Declaration of Independence] : an autograph signature John Henry: n [from the name John Henry, from confusion with John Hancock] : an autograph signature Well. I'm done ranting. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 20:11:19 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705160011.UAA20620@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Thing >Which tentative title is more acurate: "Insect Hospital" or "Thing" > I've heard all sorts of things about this? Does anyone have any idea when it might be released? I assume they will have quite a few of the unreleased FS sessions on it(if they don't get put on an EP). Marty ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 21:04:22 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <337BB295.785B@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: To Moose and while we're on the subject, have people > gotten a load of the Johns' apparent affinity for Converse shoes, the coolest > on the planet? of DC; black One-Stars on Flans on multiple occasions...the list goes on.> > > moose Yeah Chucks are awesome! Bye, Vera P.S. I'm not just responding to this so you feel loved Moose I swear:+P ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 21:16:12 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <337BB55C.3122@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Spanish? > (PS- anyone else taking high school spanish? do you watch "Destinos"?) I don't take Spanish but I know that they watch Destinos at my school. I take japanese.(much better we get to watch sumo videos) Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 21:23:33 -0400 (EDT) From: taileen Subject: TMBG: Linnell's Hair Message-ID: Okay, here's a silly question, but I'm still a relatively new fan: John Linnell's hair is long in come videos I see. I'm assuming these are older b/c I just saw in concert and his hair was short, but how old are these vids? What do you lads/gals like better, longer or shorter hair (for JL)? I know this is a stupid question but I'm bored and just sitting here wondering.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337BBA72.697D@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 18:37:54 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Linnell It's so uncanny, but I know a guy who looks E X A C T L Y like Linnell. Coincidence or conspiracy? -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 21:58:58 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jennifer L. Geese" Subject: TMBG: TBMG: song-on-the-brain Message-Id: Someone (sorry, can't remember who) was asking about that dread phenomenon, song-on-the-brain. I confess. For the last 3 days I have had the chorus of Ana Ng running through my head at all sorts of odd times. Just today I had to fight the urge to break into song while ordering lunch as McDonald's. Scary, isn't it? Jen "Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence..." - that's what I hear ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:25:29 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <337BC599.365D@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: PolkTrivia I happened to glance above my computer and see the United States Presidents poster of mine. The Ancestrial Home of james K. Polk is in Columbia, TN Has anyone been there? Tell me about it Bye, Vera Too lazy to end posts with quotes:+P ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:27:15 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <337BC603.4DC9@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Linnell vlad_drakul wrote: > > It's so uncanny, but I know a guy who looks E X A C T L Y like Linnell. Coincidence or > conspiracy? > -- Is he married? Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 21:40:19 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Message-ID: My cousin looks exactly like Flans. They should stand next to each other! Mark On Thu, 15 May 1997, vlad_drakul wrote: > It's so uncanny, but I know a guy who looks E X A C T L Y like Linnell. Coincidence or > conspiracy? > -- > Vladimir Drakul > ******************************************************************* > *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * > * -Milton * > * * > *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * > * -John Stange * > * * > *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * > * -George Hartnell * > * * > *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * > * -TMBG * > * * > *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * > * -John Flansburgh * > * * > *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * > * -Carl Sagan * > ******************************************************************* > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Hair Message-ID: <19970515.225054.4462.5.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:50:50 EDT On Thu, 15 May 1997 21:23:33 -0400 (EDT) taileen writes: >Okay, here's a silly question, but I'm still a relatively new fan: > >John Linnell's hair is long in come videos I see. I'm assuming these >are >older b/c I just saw in concert and his hair was short, but how old >are >these vids? What do you lads/gals like better, longer or shorter hair >(for JL)? > Did anyone see the article about Them in the Friday Magazine of the Plain Dealer before the 12/4/96 concert in Cleveland at the Agora? Linnell had long hair in that picture, but I've never seen him personally with long hair. At the three concerts I've been to he had short hair. I have absolutely no life talking about this... -Evan R. Kleve ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield... Message-ID: <19970515.225054.4462.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:50:50 EDT Well, I don't think John Henry was imposing at all! I think all of the records should be that long. They should have just included everything on Factory Showroom. -Evan R. Kleve >>I also want to know why They left some great songs off FS. > >The "official" explanation: with all the mini-tour songs and >"SenSurround," >FS would have had 22 songs. They thought that John Henry was a bit... >imposing, so they wanted to shorten the album up a bit. But in >attempting to >do so, they discovered that there were really two groups of songs: the >ones >that made it on to the album, and the remaining mini-tour songs >(SenSurround >was in the first group, Unforgotten the second.) and that each group >worked >better together than split up. Rather than divide the mini-tour songs >up, >they decided to save them as a block for an EP or later album (that >is, >"Insect Hospital.") > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Clarinet Message-ID: <19970515.225054.4462.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:50:49 EDT >you're on the right track to instrumental perfection, but you took a >wrong turn. The violin doesn't have spit valves and you don't really >have to polish it, and it sounds much better than a clarinet. Some >soy >that violinists are jerks, but that just isn't true. They are being >modest, considering they play the greatest of the non-electric >instruments. All of the string instruments are wonderful - just look >at >Flans's guitar and all of the string stuff in FS. Well, enough with >that... Eric >(oh, by the way, I'm a violinist if you couldn't tell....) > Yes, I, too, am a violinist, and I have to agree with Eric, although no instrument is more important. I also play trumpet and I know how cocky we brass players can be. :) BTH I'm thinking of maybe trying to arrange Snail Shell for marching band. Think it would work? -Evan "my quote won't work" Kleve ------------------------------ Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet (or not) Message-ID: <19970515.225054.4462.3.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:50:50 EDT >Hmmmm. . . I've had a few run-ins with ent's myself. . . But that >has >nothing to do with this. This is very strange -- I'm getting your >messages responding to my post before I get my post. Well, can we >agree >that strings are harder than band instruments? >Tracy > Well, I play violin AND trumpet, and I say they both have their hard points. It goes without saying that a violin is no fun to listen to unless the player is pretty talented and/or advanced. Style is everything. Also, many people who aren't the most talented play brain shatteringly out of tune, which makes me want to tear out my hair, rip off all of my clothing, run out of the room screaming, and bang my head continually against the wall until it goes away. The trumpet has it's hard points too. A proper warmup is a must if you don't want your lips to feel like warm cheese the next day. Also, in order to stay in shape, which is also a must, you can't miss days of practice. Every instument is very important and non-easy to say the least. And for all of you violin haters out there, try to imagine an orchestra without them. Try to imagine some TMBG songs without them for that matter! I hope this clears things up. Thanx for reading my expert opinion ! :) -Evan R. Kleve ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199705160306.XAA19846@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 15 May 1997 22:06:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: PolkTrivia HO>I happened to glance above my computer and see the United States HO>Presidents poster of mine. The Ancestrial Home of james K. Polk is in HO>Columbia, TN Has anyone been there? Tell me about it HO> Bye, HO> Vera HO>Too lazy to end posts with quotes:+P I've become a little bit of a J.K Polk history buff as a result of our Giant friends. Just to set the record sraight (not that it has been bent by anyone), thePolk Shrine and Ancestral Home in Columbia, TN was the boyhood home of JKP. It's on some land that was owned by his father. Polk Place was the official residence of the former President. He had willed the estate to the state of Tennesee, but for some reason, it was demolished when he died. "...after four short years he sought no second term" -TMBG (that was probably the right thing for him to do given the fact that he died three months later) Next lesson: Who's buried in Grant's tomb? - presented in GiantVision by TV's Webster Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com PS->Sorry ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 20:49:49 PST Subject: TMBG: Van Message-ID: <19970515.204952.14238.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) i know I am whipping a dead horse, but I have one important question about the article in Automobile Magazine. Is the person who wrote that article also the Twin Quasar's manager? It sounded like it in the mag. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:14:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970516001427_335609185@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Hair << John Linnell's hair is long in come videos I see. I'm assuming these are older b/c I just saw in concert and his hair was short, but how old are these vids? What do you lads/gals like better, longer or shorter hair (for JL)? >> Linnell's hair was longest in the Apollo 18 era videos ("The Guitar," "The Statue Got Me High"), which would be from about 1991 or 92, I guess. I personally like it best when it's _just_ long enough for that flip of his to start to cover his eyes. But I like it any style--the guy's got a great head of hair! I'm very fond of Flans's new wave buzz cut, too. Kay, hoping a friend (and list lurker) will soon send her a copy of a picture of Linnell when he was in the Mundanes and his hair was...bleached. Yes, you read that right, heh heh ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:41:10 -0400 (EDT) From: taileen Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Hair Message-ID: I don't believe the bleached thing. Are you willing to scan that baby? I also like the Flans' hair. It really seems to fit his personality. taileen On Fri, 16 May 1997 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > I'm very fond of Flans's new wave buzz cut, too. > > Kay, hoping a friend (and list lurker) will soon send her a copy of a picture > of Linnell when he was in the Mundanes and his hair was...bleached. Yes, you > read that right, heh heh > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970516004418.0069af30@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:44:36 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Hair At 12:41 AM 5/16/97 -0400, you wrote: >I don't believe the bleached thing. Are you willing to scan that baby? As unbelievable as it sounds, it's true...on the cover of the Mundanes disc. I hope someone scans it too! :> TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 01:48:03 -0400 (EDT) From: She Might Be Amy Subject: TMBG: Reprehensible clarinets, Mono Posters, and other stuffs Message-ID: >> And why do clarinet solos rock so much? > Because they're played by a clarinet. A Clarinet has no spit > valves or clunky parts to polish and even if you're bad at playing it it > doesn't sound too bad. Whoa, stop the wagon here! If you're bad at playing the clarinet, trust me -- you sound _bad_. This is coming from someone who teaches 9- and 10-year-olds how to play the instrument. And, have you ever heard a high school marching band's clarinet section? Egads, I know mine was awful. > i was just wondering how rare is a mono puff poster? > like does anyone out there have one? I've only ever seen one, and I was shocked that it even existed. The guy got it from someone at Rykodisc, so I have no clue how to get one :( I've been noticing something lately -- all this talk of AP exams and SAT scores and other stuff like that has led me to formulate a theory! (ominous chord) It seems like the people who enjoy TMBG's music the most are those that also have a love for learning. Now, I'm not saying that only people with good grades like They, you can love learning and get bad grades (trust me) This is just a theory of mine, what do y'all think? One last thing: Did anyone record the made-for-tv version of _The_Shining_ that was on ABC about 2 weeks ago? If anyone did, I'd love to get a copy of it. Amy :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-135 ******************************