Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-136 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 136 Saturday, 17 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: just a random occurence TMBG: Hair! TMBG: the new tmbg tunes TMBG: another fun school story. TMBG: Insect Thing RE: TMBG: TBMG: song-on-the-brain RE: TMBG: Reprehensible clarinets, Mono Posters, and other stuffs Japanese (was TMBG: Spanish?) Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet TMBG: Coke TMBG: Yet Another Giants Dream TMBG: Re: the golden touch Re: TMBG: The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield... Re: TMBG: Reprehensible clarinets, Mono Posters, and other stuffs Re: TMBG: The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield... TMBG: Who says TMBG fans is smart? TMBG: 100,000 Re: Japanese (was TMBG: Spanish?) TMBG: Farewell message TMBG: exquistie dead guy Re: TMBG: Linnell's Hair Re: TMBG: Accordions (re:Spud Goodman) Re: TMBG: Accordions (re:Spud Goodman) TMBG: Number/Quality of songs on a CD TMBG: Poster TMBG: Hmm TMBG: Wow TMBG: ClarinetMusic TMBG: What TMBG: WBS chat update TMBG: Re: Linnell's hair, sort of Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell's hair, sort of TMBG: Video compilation Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet Re: TMBG: Clarinet Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970515234646.006b57b0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 23:48:09 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: just a random occurence Ahoy I was poking around in my school's bookstore today and came across a thick volume of music reviews by "Music Hound", evidently an offshoot of those "Video Hound" movie review volumes. So naturally I looked up TMBG. You'll all be delighted to know, I'm sure, that our boys got an overwhelmingly positive review (the reviewer did use the Q-word, but only to say that they'd trancended it.) Music Hound recommended A18 as a first buy, which I thought was unusual. Their "what to buy next" choice was Lincoln; they mentioned that it contains "the mind-bogglingly great 'Ana Ng'" :) Their "what to avoid" choice was John Henry, but they qualified that statment, stating that all albums were excellent. I was pleasantly surprised to find a review that a) didn't harp on Flood's popularity (indeed, barely mentioned Flood), and b) consciously rejected the TMBG=novelty band perception. Happy day, --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I'm crazy, but I get the job done." --Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970516001127.00697d40@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:11:43 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Hair! >i know I am whipping a dead horse, but I have one important question >about the article in Automobile Magazine. Is the person who wrote that >article also the Twin Quasar's manager? It sounded like it in the mag. Yup. That's Jamie Kitman, the Manager of Steel. He's managed them for years, almost since the beginning, I think. I didn't know he was a regular contributor to Automobile mag, though... ><< John Linnell's hair is long in come videos I see. I'm assuming these are > older b/c I just saw in concert and his hair was short, but how old are > these vids? What do you lads/gals like better, longer or shorter hair > (for JL)? >> > >Linnell's hair was longest in the Apollo 18 era videos ("The Guitar," "The >Statue Got Me High"), which would be from about 1991 or 92, I guess. I >personally like it best when it's _just_ long enough for that flip of his to >start to cover his eyes. But I like it any style--the guy's got a great head >of hair! I *wholeheartedly* agree! But his hair was pretty long in the They'll Need A Crane video; it made for some beautiful shots of him spastically flipping his hair around and brushing it out of his face (he also spent a significant part of that video twitching like a dying fish, but I won't mention that because I like the video soooo much...) To make a short story long, I prefer Linnell with long hair. And short hair on Flans, and the half-mustache he's sporting in the Automobile mag picture (last page) is extremely cute. :) Jeez, and people wonder why the Johns don't read this list. We've spent yesterday and today discussing Their shirts and hairdos. >It seems like the people who enjoy TMBG's music the most are those that >also have a love for learning. Now, I'm not saying that only people with >good grades like They, you can love learning and get bad grades (trust me) >This is just a theory of mine, what do y'all think? I have only this to say: When I was applying for college, I went up to Berkeley one day to interview for a Chancellor's Scholarship and to spend the day in UC Berkeley enjoying the collegiate atmosphere with a group of other people in my situation. Our group decided to hit Rasputin's Records, a small used-music shop in Berkeley. I found a copy of the Video Compilation! I was ecstatic! I bought it and rushed outside to join the others, and showed off my purchase. I was shocked to discover that their collective reaction was not "Who??" but "Hey, cool! I'm a big fan!" Yes. These people, whom I'd never met before, with whom my only link was that we were all being offered merit-based scholarships to UC Berkeley, were all TMBG fans. And that's all I have to say about that. :) --nicole the wonder nerd who recently discovered that her RA is a fan, and went to see Them during the John Henry tour, and (get this) got sweated on by Linnell! My respect for her has increased a thousandfold. *** "I'm crazy, but I get the job done." --Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 04:29:34 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705160829.EAA06924@smtp2.erols.com> From: SadlyBear Subject: TMBG: the new tmbg tunes hey cool. I'm listening to the radio right now for once and behind some mattress commmercial Guitar was the case playing..ome of their commercials are hipper than their play list. oh hey I realised something. I haven't been to a tmbg show in a long time, I noticed how no one's really said anything about the new songs They hav e been playing at shows. The silence speaks for itself..I guess no one's been that impressed with the new songs. hmmm. ack, well I dunno what I'm doing up this late. guess I'll go up to my room now which has become partly infested by ants. It seems like I killed one and then all these other ants popped up to avenge its death. Ellen Kao there's an ant crawling up your back, in the nighttime ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-== "You are the ghost town, and I am the heartland." ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-== ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 97 08:31:07 PDT From: evlbison Subject: TMBG: another fun school story. Message-Id: Hey kids, pointless post, but I figured I had been lurking for long enough. Anyways, I was flipping through my book for my classical mythology class when I cam across a painting of the Abduction if Helen. This painting caught my eye for three reasons. 1, There was a little kid painted in who had a chameleon on a leash, 2, There was a furry little puppy also in the painting. It was nose to nose with the chameleon. 3, It was signed "John Linnell". Now if this had been an everyday painting, I wouldn't have stopped to look at it. But the chameleon and puppy in an otherwise serious painting? Almost makes you wonder if Linnell ever WAS a painter. Later kids, Steve "Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank" ~They Might Be Giants - Everything thats right is wrong again~ "On the run from Johnny Law... Ain't no trip to Cleveland" ~Dignan - Bottle Rocket~ "He was thrown head over heels into the traffic coming on, but then all is fair in love" ~Ben Folds Five~ "Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun. ~Ash - Army of Darkenss~ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 10:03:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970516100345_114601158@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Insect Thing In a message dated 97-05-16 04:54:43 EDT, you write: This talk about tentative titles reminds me of one of my favorites--Alien Autopsy. But I can't remember whether that was the tentative title for Factory Showroom or yet another one for Thing/Hostpital. Well, I don't care what the heck it's called, I just can't wait for it to come out! It's really frustrating knowing that studio versions exist of the great songs that didn't make it onto FS because, as badly as I want 'em, I want to wait until they're officially released since I know I'll have to get the new cd! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: TBMG: song-on-the-brain Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 07:31:49 -0700 And I carry my guitar and amp around with me wherever I go for just that reason. The urge comes over me, I'll whip out my guitar and amp and break into a rousing rendition of Ana Ng or NYC, feeding the confused masses around me with a voice of reason and love, adding a bit of sanity to their day. Or something. (: Jesse >---------- >From: Jennifer L. Geese[SMTP:jlg@tardis.svsu.edu] >Sent: Thursday, May 15, 1997 6:58 PM >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: TBMG: song-on-the-brain > > >Someone (sorry, can't remember who) was asking about that dread >phenomenon, song-on-the-brain. I confess. For the last 3 days I have >had the chorus of Ana Ng running through my head at all sorts of odd >times. Just today I had to fight the urge to break into song while >ordering lunch as McDonald's. Scary, isn't it? > >Jen > >"Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of >each other's majestic presence..." - that's what I hear > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Reprehensible clarinets, Mono Posters, and other stuffs Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 07:43:51 -0700 >---------- >From: She Might Be Amy[SMTP:agreen@moo.onu.edu] >Sent: Thursday, May 15, 1997 10:48 PM >To: They Might have a mailing list >Subject: TMBG: Reprehensible clarinets, Mono Posters, and other stuffs > >> i was just wondering how rare is a mono puff poster? >> like does anyone out there have one? >I've only ever seen one, and I was shocked that it even existed. The guy >got it from someone at Rykodisc, so I have no clue how to get one :( Has anyone tried asking Rykodisc for one? I'm sure they'd be happy to give (or sell) you one. (: >I've been noticing something lately -- all this talk of AP exams and SAT >scores and other stuff like that has led me to formulate a theory! >(ominous chord) >It seems like the people who enjoy TMBG's music the most are those that >also have a love for learning. Now, I'm not saying that only people with >good grades like They, you can love learning and get bad grades (trust me) >This is just a theory of mine, what do y'all think? I'd actually have to agree with you there. From personal experience, and from what I've seen, most people who like Them are highly likely to continue learning and exploring all through life. I think it's both the variety in Their music and the upbeat/weird lyric combination which attracts this type of people to it. Just a thought. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970516110516.0029c378@email.uc.edu> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 11:05:17 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: Japanese (was TMBG: Spanish?) At 09:16 PM 5/15/97 -0400, you wrote: >> (PS- anyone else taking high school spanish? do you watch "Destinos"?) >I don't take Spanish but I know that they watch Destinos at my school. >I take japanese.(much better we get to watch sumo videos) > Bye, > Vera OK, you take Japanese, so you might know what I'm talking about here. But, I'll take a reply from anyone that has noticed this. The last two They concerts I've been to, I've noticed that John F. has worn a t-shirt which has the katakana character, 'SU' on it. It is a black t-shirt with the 'SU' in red. I was kinda wondering if anyone had caught a close glimpse of this shirt, and maybe knows what it says beyond the large 'SU'. for those non-japanese readers, i have included an ascii representation of the character below. ------ / the line going diagonally / to the left is normally curved /\ / \ / \ Heather Garver University of Cincinnati garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 09:05:00 -0700 ok . about this whole clarinet thing. my friend is THE best clarinet player i've heard. he could easily go pro. he was one of the top clarinet players at All-Northwest. ( the best musicians for about 7 states). but anyways. one day, i played for him that clarinet solo on Dr. Spocks Back Up BAnd. you know. that one cover they did of a song by the Edgar Winter's group. so then he figured it out, and we made a measly attemp to perform it. he also figured out the clarinet thing from particle man, and a couple other songs. it rulz! brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 09:54:42 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: Coke Message-ID: I heard this Coke ad on the radio this morning that sounded just like TMBG. I really only paid attention to half of it-- There were these little Fingertips-like bits of song, and about half way through the commercial (where it was talking about there always being coke cans stacked up outside the door or something) I thought, "whoa, that sounds like Flans." I kept listening, and the rest of it sounded like 'em, too. It was pretty creepy. Has anyone else heard this? Was it just my imagination? PLEASE tell me that wasn't actually Them singing "Always Coca-Cola." I'm sure it wasn't them, but it was a pretty good imitation... -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337C956D.4A@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 12:12:13 -0500 From: "Bill J. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Yet Another Giants Dream Dear Giant Friends, Well, it finally happened. I had a Giants dream. Apparently They were scheduled to play in my basement. It was two hours before the show and people were already arriving. I was rushing around my house to find chairs for people. Then I realized that neither the Giants nor their equipment had arrived. I was worried, so I went outside, and up the road, their headlights blazing, were the white and blue Ford vans, with one John at the helm of each. It was a truly heroic moment. Unfortunately, it was so exciting that I woke up and was disappointed that I never actually got to hear Them play. Giants people are good people, Dreaming of a calm, rational world, Peace in John and John, Billy from St. Louis ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 14:11:15 -0400 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <337CA343.5C2F@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: the golden touch Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > Hi 'vryone > I just finished reading the TMBG article in Automobile... way cool. :) > > But I'm confuzle-- Jamie Kitman states that they have "one gold record--and > one almost platinum." Flood went gold in '95, I know, but I haven't heard > of any other TMBG album going gold, much less approaching platinum. Anyone > know? Is Flood the one almost platinum, with another album gone gold? And > if so, which one was it? > > --nicole the wonder nerd > *** > "I resemble only half of the things I say I don't. The other half resemble > me." > --James Thurber > Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn > nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org I think Flood is the "almost platinum" album, with Lincoln being the gold one. I remember reading an article around the time Ana Ng was popular that Lincoln had almost gone gold, so by now, it probably is. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 14:46:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705161846.OAA15549@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield... >Well, I don't think John Henry was imposing at all! I think all of the >records should be that long. They should have just included everything on >Factory Showroom. > > -Evan R. Kleve > Yeah, I don't know....FS is great and all, but a They Might be Giants CD with only 13 songs(Okay, Token, 13.5)????? I'm still not used to the idea of that. Marty ------------------------------ Message-ID: <337CABF6.188@erols.com> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 14:48:22 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: Re: TMBG: Reprehensible clarinets, Mono Posters, and other stuffs > > >I've been noticing something lately -- all this talk of AP exams and SAT > >scores and other stuff like that has led me to formulate a theory! > >(ominous chord) > >It seems like the people who enjoy TMBG's music the most are those that > >also have a love for learning. Now, I'm not saying that only people with > >good grades like They, you can love learning and get bad grades (trust me) > >This is just a theory of mine, what do y'all think? > > I'd actually have to agree with you there. From personal experience, > and from > what I've seen, most people who like Them are highly likely to continue > learning > and exploring all through life. I think it's both the variety in Their > music and the > upbeat/weird lyric combination which attracts this type of people to it. I have had this theory for years. It takes intelligence to appreciate Them, and They're pretty dang intelligent, too. Tracy ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 16 May 97 15:40 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield... >Yeah, I don't know....FS is great and all, but a They Might be Giants CD >with only 13 songs(Okay, Token, 13.5)????? I'm still not used to the idea >of that. Has anyone else found that TMBG has spoiled them into expecting more songs on a cd? I'm just remembering getting Sting's new album and thinking, "What? Only ten songs?" :P Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970516163341.009e6428@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 16:33:41 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Who says TMBG fans is smart? well, true... TMBG fans aren't generally going to be the ones shouting YOOOOOUUUUUU ROCCCCCCKKKKK!!!! at concerts/while listening to CDs/in the shower... because Their lyrics aren't as simple as "Row/row/row your boat" or "slapped ma bitch". You have to be somewhat intelligent to understand their lyrics. And stuff. Wow, that was really really pointless. Um... TMBG ROCK! -ec ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199705162054.QAA19706@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: 100,000 Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 16:54:16 -0400 (EDT) I'd like to say thanks for everyone's interest in the web site. Sometime this morning we had the 100,000 access to the home page. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970516135217.006bd608@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 13:58:33 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: Japanese (was TMBG: Spanish?) At 11:05 AM 5/16/97 -0400, you wrote: >The last two They >concerts I've been to, I've noticed that John F. has worn a t-shirt which >has the katakana character, 'SU' on it. JL can sort of read/write Japanese, I think. I remember reading an article that said he could. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I'm crazy, but I get the job done." --Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 16:12:10 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: TMBG: Farewell message Message-ID: Farewell not because I'm leaving the list, but because I'm going to die. Something's going down in south Texas. There has been a constant number of planes flying low overhead in the last hour, an in this area we VERY rarely have even one plane fly over us. I figure that some Communists have come to take us over, and I'll probably die as they attack. Goodbye, cruel world. Mark ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: exquistie dead guy Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 14:11:00 -0700 i have the bass line for EDG, but i lost the chords for the little interlude. i can't get them off the .org page because it won't load for some reason, so could anybody help me with what the chords are? please brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 17:48:26 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970516174824_269928544@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Hair Listies and Linnellies-- On the Video Bootleg Vol. 2 there's an appearance of J&J on the Tonight Show singing They'll need a crane. My sister loves to comment about how much Linnell looks like a girl. His hair is as long as his face and a little longer. Also Flansburgh's appearance has drastically changed throughout the years. The different styles of glasses, also length of hair (used to be slightly longer), and personality I think. Who knows how'll They'll look in fifty years? Oh, yeah, that's that T-Shirt! They're planning ahead! Joel "Urinating in the Flowers" Gedalius ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 18:03:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970516180309_-795982099@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordions (re:Spud Goodman) In a message dated 97-05-12 21:51:48 EDT, mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: << Speaking of accordions I was looking thru the classified sectioin and I actually saw 2 accordion sales/repair type places! I had no idea they were so popular! >> My Aunt was an accordion teacher and she left me her accordions in her will. Joel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 19:05:00 -0400 (EDT) From: taileen Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordions (re:Spud Goodman) Message-ID: On Fri, 16 May 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 97-05-12 21:51:48 EDT, mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew > James) writes: > > << Speaking of accordions I was looking thru the classified sectioin and I > actually saw 2 accordion sales/repair type places! I had no idea they > were so popular! >> > My Aunt was an accordion teacher and she left me her accordions in her will. > Joel > NOt that anyone cares but just to add to the conversation.... My sister plays the accordian. We both went to a music school (ASM) in Ft Lauderdale that taught, for many years, only accordian. Later they started teaching keyboard, guitar, and drums... I think there are more closet accordian players than the players are probably willing to admit. My sis never says she plays it, only claims the keyboard. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 19:17:18 -0400 Message-Id: <199705162317.TAA12909@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Number/Quality of songs on a CD > Has anyone else found that TMBG has spoiled them into expecting >more songs on a cd? I'm just remembering getting Sting's new album and >thinking, "What? Only ten songs?" :P I've certainly been spoiled into expecting more quality songs on a CD. I love every song on a TMBG CD. Many of my friends are surprised that when I buy an album, and I like 5 or 6 songs on it, I'm disappointed. TMBG has spoiled me. Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 16:39:25 PST Subject: TMBG: Poster Message-ID: <19970516.163930.9286.3.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I have been hearing a lot about posters for our beloved embassadors. Here is my opinion. The best poster for Them would have to be a painting by James Ensor. Anyone agree? Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 20:00:14 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <337CF50E.76E3@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Hmm > OK, you take Japanese, so you might know what I'm talking about here. But, > I'll take a reply from anyone that has noticed this. The last two They > concerts I've been to, I've noticed that John F. has worn a t-shirt which > has the katakana character, 'SU' on it. It is a black t-shirt with the > 'SU' in red. I was kinda wondering if anyone had caught a close glimpse of > this shirt, and maybe knows what it says beyond the large 'SU'. for those > non-japanese readers, i have included an ascii representation of the > character below. > > ------ > / the line going diagonally > / to the left is normally curved > /\ > / \ > / \ > > Heather Garver > University of Cincinnati > garverhl@email.uc.edu > http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver Wacky wacky stuff. That's so cool. My respect for Flans has grown.(If that's possible.) I hope someone figures out what it says. Mayde it has something to do with some Japanimation video or a comic book. Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 20:02:44 -0400 From: Player Message-ID: <337CF5A4.6D2D@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Wow Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > JL can sort of read/write Japanese, I think. I remember reading an article Wow that's crazy sexxy cool! I'm extatic! I must find where you read this if you have any idea please tell me :+) Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 20:19:43 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <337CF99F.68BA@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: ClarinetMusic one day, i played for him that clarinet solo on > Dr. Spocks Back Up BAnd. you know. that one cover they did of a song > by the Edgar Winter's group. so then he figured it out, and we made a > measly attemp to perform it. he also figured out the clarinet thing > from particle man, and a couple other songs. it rulz! > > brenden - nednerb Hey would you please post the music for them Please oh please oh please oh Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 20:46:03 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <337CFFCB.2A04@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: What Kelly Smith wrote: > Flans is obviously the one with the most personality, while Linnell has > all the chicks. What blasphemy!!!!!!!! Linnell is a stud loaded with personality. It's just not as flamboyant as Flan's. They collectively kick the Sh*t. They are my Ying and Yang, my chaos and order, my Beethoveen and Weild Al, my sugar and cream, my emotion and logic, my peanut butter and jelly, my stripes and plaid, my smooth and crunchy...and oh boy, my car just got fixed! Hi, Mooseful@aol.com here, I contributed bits and pieces of that last bit and Eeyore's car is all better now so we're going to go party. We've got Flood in the tape deck. Yum. Vera > and Moose ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970517004534.0067a850@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 20:45:34 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: WBS chat update Okay, I just recieved word that the person who started the petition for the TMBG room at WBS has learned about my efforts. [They e-mailed me.] And although they can't make it, they are telling all their friends, so we are expecting quite a crowd this Monday night, we hope. ;) To all of you who are planning on going to the first ever weekly live TMBG chat (phew!): I will be there and I look forward to meeting you all, in real time. My handle is UCstudent, so say "hi." Once again, the starting time is 7pm EST - that's 4pm for you Californians and 10pm Tuesday for you Perth, Australia people (hi Hannah! :)) Need to know how to join all of us? Just e-mail me. I'd be gald to respond. Later, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 20:46:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970516204612_-1767151488@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell's hair, sort of xLinnell's hair was longest in the Apollo 18 era videos ("The Guitar," "The xStatue Got Me High"), which would be from about 1991 or 92, I guess. I xpersonally like it best when it's _just_ long enough for that flip of his to xstart to cover his eyes. But I like it any style--the guy's got a great head xof hair! I'm very fond of Flans's new wave buzz cut, too. x xKay, hoping a friend (and list lurker) will soon send her a copy of a picture xof Linnell when he was in the Mundanes and his hair was...bleached. Yes, you xread that right, heh heh Good god, you'd think that this was the John Linnell discussion list from the look of the last digest. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you! :) And I think I have to agree with the "just in the eyes" look. The long hair was OK for a change, but I think it made his face look too long. The shorter cut enhances those "god-like cheekbones" (yes, you *did* say that out loud, Moose!) Yikes... Do you know how scared Mr. Linnell would be if he knew people discussed this stuff? The poor man is neurotic enough already. Oh well. Anyway, I am pretty cheesed off, because I have been desperately searching for that damn Mundanes album for ages, and *now* I find out I've been missing a valuable Linnell cultural item, to boot. (Bleach... no, that's so... so *wrong*!) All the CD stores around here blow, because they either will not special-order CDs or they claim to and then the CDs never show up. This is also why I can't find any friggin' cub albums, but that is another story. Sigh... so I think what I'm getting at here is, how do I get my hands on this Mundanes album? A dubbed tape would be OK, but really I'd like to have the real thing. So what do I have to do? Sacrifice old vinyl at midnight and chant the names of the snotty Tower clerks? Demand the album at gunpoint? Talk to the manager? Someone help me out here. Um, I feel bad continuing this pointless dissection of the Johns' personal appearances, but I just have to know-- how is it that the Johns, who are self-admittedly living in a cultural vaccuum, manage to have such stylish threads? Well, Linnell, anyway. He always shows up in those trendy striped shirts and courduroys and All Stars-- and Flans, while he wears more traditional clothes, wears Converses, too. These are not part of your average 37-year-old's wardrobe. At least not the 37-year-olds with which I am acquainted, which I admit is not many, but doesn't this strike anyone else as weird? The Johns still dress like teenagers. And Linnell could still pass for ten, fifteen years younger than he is. It's pretty disconcerting. This paragraph has no point, but I certainly feel better now. Ranting is fun! --Christy, *not* Chrisyu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970516210221.00a3de28@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 21:02:21 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell's hair, sort of >Um, I feel bad continuing this pointless dissection of the Johns' personal >appearances, but I just have to know-- how is it that the Johns, who are >self-admittedly living in a cultural vaccuum, manage to have such stylish >threads? Well, Linnell, anyway. He always shows up in those trendy striped >shirts and courduroys and All Stars-- and Flans, while he wears more >traditional clothes, wears Converses, too. These are not part of your average >37-year-old's wardrobe. At least not the 37-year-olds with which I am >acquainted, which I admit is not many, but doesn't this strike anyone else as >weird? The Johns still dress like teenagers. And Linnell could still pass for >ten, fifteen years younger than he is. It's pretty disconcerting. This >paragraph has no point, but I certainly feel better now. Ranting is fun! well, maybe they're so far behind on the cultural loop, that they are still living back in the time when courderouys and converse were cool *before* courderouys and converse were cool... something to think about. -ec, the philosopher ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 22:30:38 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970516223037_-1432718688@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Video compilation Just a quick question---can anyone tell me where on the internet I can order the video compilation? The Info Club says it is sold out. Thanks! ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 00:14:35 +0000 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet Message-ID: <19970517041458.AAC13815@default> > Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:26:46 -0400 > From: Laurie Selmer > Organization: Selmer Household > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Clarinet > Reply-to: Laurie Selmer > Wilson Dorward wrote: > > > > > > you're on the right track to instrumental perfection, but you took a > > > > wrong turn. The violin doesn't have spit valves and you don't really > > > > have to polish it, and it sounds much better than a clarinet. Some > > > > > > Now wait a minute... The violin doesn't sound good unless the player > > > is very skilled. I have only heard one or two good sounding high school > > > orchestras, and when you consider that most of the people in these would > > > have been playing for at least 5 years, this makes a considerable > > > statement. > > Well, I must be one of those great high school orchestra players. > > (slight exageration...) You have a point. It is hard to learn, but it > > does sound great if played by a compatent musician. Eric > > Well, it *is* harder to learn to play a stringed instrument. . . That's > why they're better. > Tracy That's definatly true. Also, most of the people who play for more than 5 years don't suck because the bad ones have dropped out. ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 00:14:35 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Clarinet Message-ID: <19970517041458.AAD13815@default> > To: wwdorward@blazenet.net > Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org, homebase@idt.net > Subject: Re: TMBG: Clarinet > From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) > Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:50:49 EDT > > >you're on the right track to instrumental perfection, but you took a > >wrong turn. The violin doesn't have spit valves and you don't really > >have to polish it, and it sounds much better than a clarinet. Some > >soy > >that violinists are jerks, but that just isn't true. They are being > >modest, considering they play the greatest of the non-electric > >instruments. All of the string instruments are wonderful - just look > >at > >Flans's guitar and all of the string stuff in FS. Well, enough with > >that... Eric > >(oh, by the way, I'm a violinist if you couldn't tell....) > > > > Yes, I, too, am a violinist, and I have to agree with Eric, although no > instrument is more important. I also play trumpet and I know how cocky we > brass players can be. :) BTH I'm thinking of maybe trying to arrange > Snail Shell for marching band. Think it would work? > > -Evan "my quote won't work" Kleve Thanks. Are all brass players cocky? ANyway, good luck with your TMBG arrangements. I tried to at least write some songs down, but got bored. Eric ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-136 ******************************