Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-139 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 139 Tuesday, 20 May 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: John vs. John RE: TMBG: I am not your broom TMBG: Interp for I Am Not Your Broom :-) TMBG: Live chat tonight! (Woo-hoo!) TMBG: I am not your broom Re: TMBG: I am not your broom TMBG: NEW SONG ON DAS!!!! (none) TMBG: j vs j TMBG: state songs Re: TMBG: NEW SONG ON DAS!!!! TMBG: FTP Sites Re: TMBG: James Ensor TMBG: contacting John and John Re: TMBG: John vs. John TMBG: Who Is Better? (like saying which eye is more important) TMBG: Matt Gronig TMBG: DNAI site also Mat Gronig TMBG: PIX!!! I NEED 'EM! Re: TMBG: Matt Gronig Re: TMBG: John vs. John TMBG: DAVE AND THE SUN!!! TMBG: State Songs TMBG: State Songs TMBG: They Might Be Confetti TMBG: Dammit. Sorry. TMBG: Dave and Sun (long) Re: TMBG: Live chat tonight! (Woo-hoo!) TMBG: Original Sun on Web (Re: Dave and Sun) Re: TMBG: John vs. John Re: TMBG: John vs. John Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970519000049.00686d50@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 00:01:28 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: John vs. John At 09:46 PM 5/18/97 -0400, you wrote: >Flans gets major points for playing, singing, writing, and talking the >most.(I think) Bout half and half, I think. Anyone want to count and tell us? But you're right--Flans does talk more. He's always been much more willing to be agressive on the band's behalf. > However Linnell more than makes up with it in the >accordian and hotness factor. Hey, Flans is quite a looker himself! I refer any nonbelievers to the picture of him in this month's Automobile magazine. And besides, I am of the opinion that their looks are not terribly important in their music, and I think they think so, too. By John, that sounded self-righteous. Sorry! :) >Moose says that is you look at >the lyric sheets Flans' songs are horizontal and Linnell's are verical. >Flans holds out and repeats a few lyrics where as Linnell uses a lot of >lyrics fast and together.(a general observation) Hmm... never thought of it that way. But you're right, except that i think you got it reversed-- don't you mean that *Linnell's* songs are horizontal, and Flans's are vertical? >However, only Flans can sing like a girl.;*0 Not really. You know that falsetto you hear on She Was A Hotel Detective? It ain't Flans... ;b >"i'd kill myself if i was somebody else, i'm feeling so beside myself" Ok, I'll bite. Where's that from? I was poking around in Tower today (btw, they appear to have changed their return policy! No longer are we allowed indefinitely to exchange unwanted items for wanted items--we're only allowed one preferential exchange! Anyone else thinks this bites? Tower's generous return policy was one of the main reasons I shopped there!) But getting back to the story. I was poking around in Tower today, and I flipped through one of those rock guides. It said that "John Henry" was the most popular TMBG album. This was... well, interesting. If it's true, it might explain Jamie Kitman's remark about the gold and platinum albums. Unfortunately, I don't think it's true--the reviewer also said that "Lincoln" was released in 1989, by Elektra; one of my number #1 (sic) rules is never to trust reviewers who don't know what they're talking about. Still, it's intriguing... anyone know for sure? And could someone please tape the Coke commercial and digitize it for those of use who can't stand commercial radio? Shanks! --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I'm crazy, but I get the job done." --Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: I am not your broom Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 08:32:40 -0700 >---------- >From: skibum@cyberia.com[SMTP:skibum@cyberia.com] >Sent: Sunday, May 18, 1997 5:46 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: I am not your broom > >Sure can! First of all, it is Linnel singing to the broom. He is wearing >thick black glasses. The broom seems to be sung by Flans(I think). True >Flans isn't fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 True >The broom is really funny tooo. It is jumping up and down(its a mad little >broom). True It was even jumping up and down at the Seattle show. Course, that's cause I was bouncing it up and down as if it were singing... *grin* Also, it (the broom) stood up ON ITS OWN, BY ITSELF, all during Brian Dewan's opening act. It liked Brian. (: >You have to see it, I love it! It agrees, although it says it wants out of my trunk...HEY! Get back into that trunk! I SWEAR I'll take you out finally when we get home! Heh. Sorry you had to see that. > Steve Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970519161430.00681500@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 09:14:30 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Interp for I Am Not Your Broom :-) Thought this was funny, My brother made an off-handed comment and said he thought of an interp for I Am Not Your Broom. It could be about a married couple: a domineering husband and his tired housewife. The husband orders her to clean house, and she says no, "I'm throwing off my chains of servitude!" Kinda neat. But it's probably really just a parody of "O Susanna" about a talking broom... ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970519165337.0067b1f0@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:53:37 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Live chat tonight! (Woo-hoo!) Okay, Tonight it is. I've gone ahead and re-wrote the instructions on how to get to the chat room below. If you're free tonight, we'd love to have you stop in and say "hey." Even if it's only for 1 hour. The more the merrier. ;------------------------------------------------------------------ WBS is an online chat organization with well over 100,000 users. There are roughly 200 permenant chat rooms, with various special chat topics throughout the week. It is free to join, and easy to use. Here's how to get there: 1) type in the address http://wbs.net in your web browser and press Enter - wait for the page to download completely 2) if you're not already a member, click on the "New Users" icon. This will lead you through the process of creating a handle, etc. 3) With handle and password in hand, then, click on the "Private Rooms" icon (the key) 4) In the "Go to existing room" blank, type TMBG, all caps! Then click on "Go." 5) Now you're in the chat room doorway. Type in your handle and password. Then click on "Chat now" 6) The chat screen takes a while to download. After it's done, you need to type in 10 or 15 in the "Refresh Rate" box and hit Enter. This will update the chat screen every 10/15 secs. 7) To write a message, enter it into the white rectangle at the bottom of the screen. Then press the "Send" button. 8) Push "help" for explainations of the boxes below the "chat box" if you wish. Now that you're a member, you can go to ANY room in WBS, anytime, anyday. It's a 24 hour service, so you can enjoy MUCH more than just the private TMBG room. :) The regular rooms are listed at the initial page, http://wbs.net. In fact, it may be better if you do try talking in other rooms 1st. This way you will not start off "blind." ;------------------------------------------------------------------ Just a reminder, the first ever weekly live TMBG chat is TONIGHT, starting at 7pm EST (or 4pm PST) and running 'til whenever. I'll be there just a little before 7pm EST, just so you don't feel awkward (sp?) being the first one in the room. :) My handle is UCstudent. Any further queeries, just e-mail me. Hopefully seeing you tonight, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705191723.AA13996@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: I am not your broom Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 13:23:58 -0400 (EDT) Speaking of I am Not your Broom (and yes it is sung by Linnell), during the Western MD show, Linnell sang the Maryland state song (or at least I can't imagine what else it'd be, it sounded like a new state song composition) in between Spy instead of I am not your Broom. Or at least that's how I remembered it... So yes there are new State songs out there apparently. Has anyone else heard any other ones besides the 5 known ones from the Hello Club at concerts? See ya /Matt -- "True happiness lies beyond your fries and happy burgers." ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705191727.AA14020@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: I am not your broom Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 13:27:26 -0400 (EDT) > >allright, > >can someone please clear up a little bit of my confused mind here... > > Sure can! First of all, it is Linnel singing to the broom. He is wearing > thick black glasses. The broom seems to be sung by Flans(I think). Actually, in the Quicktime video, the broom part is sung by Linnell. He sort of changes his voice a little. So Linnell is singing to the broom which is sung by himself. So he's bascally singing to himself vicariously through the broom. How's that for confusing?? /Matt -- "True happiness lies beyond your fries and happy burgers." ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: NEW SONG ON DAS!!!! Message-ID: <19970519.114431.4742.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 13:46:16 EDT grrrr.... i called up dial-a-song at about 11:35 (colorado/rocky mountain standard time--->i think two hours behind NY) anyways, there was a song on there that i have never heard before in my life!!! aaaack, somebody help me out here...what was it? is it gonna be a song they're releasing for "superfueled freaksicle" or "thing" or "insect hospital" or whateve it's gonna be??? unfortunately, right after i got through and heard that song my dad came in and was like "is that long distance? do you know how much our phone bill was last month??" heheheee, too bad for him i've called DAS about 50 times more this month than i did last month...>=) oh yeah, what i was getting at was that i can't call back for myself and figure it out so... HELP!!! "we've almoest figured out how we get along, and given time we'll find it strange to be alone" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970519150204.0068ace8@map.com> Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:02:04 -0400 From: Nancy and Russell Potter Does anybody have any of tmbg's home addresses, or ways to contact them, please tell me. Nancy Potter P.S. Look at this sideways :} ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970519150343.00a4dc48@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:03:43 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: j vs j I'm not gonna quote... I just think w/o flans, Linnell would be a hermit in a shack (cave) somewhere, living a lonely pathetic life and writing really really awesome music. -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970519150705.00a4c740@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:07:05 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: state songs >So yes there are new State songs out there apparently. Has anyone else >heard any other ones besides the 5 known ones from the Hello Club at >concerts? Didn't I hear somewhere (list) that he was going to make all 50? that would be something. yes, that would certainly be something. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970519151001.00a4f410@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:10:01 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: NEW SONG ON DAS!!!! At 01:46 PM 5/19/97 EDT, I have no Name wrote: >grrrr.... >i called up dial-a-song at about 11:35 (colorado/rocky mountain standard >time--->i think two hours behind NY) anyways, there was a song on there >that i have never heard before in my life!!! aaaack, somebody help me out >here...what was it? is it gonna be a song they're releasing for >"superfueled freaksicle" or "thing" or "insect hospital" or whateve it's >gonna be??? Well, maybe some lyrics, or what it sounds like would help! Oh yeah.... and about all these new songs and stuff... have they recorded (in studio) yet some of these *new* new songs (stuff for IH, not just DAS stuff) Oh, and when's "Imaginary Friend" coming out? -ec ------------------------------ From: GaritRN@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 16:00:15 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970519160003_-264047423@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: FTP Sites Hi, Can anyone recommend any FTP Site of TMBG songs? Any help would be appreciated. Larry http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - It's the cheesiest! ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 16:07:13 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: James Ensor Message-ID: <19970519200736.AAA27385@default> > That's nothing that can't be overcome by the mighty computer. > Josh Nielsen If your computer can bring back the dead, it must be quite a bit better than mine. I have trouble downloading faster than 1.2Kps Eric ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970519124734.006f259c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 13:04:20 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: contacting John and John >Does anybody have any of tmbg's home addresses, or ways to contact them, >please tell me. Try TMBG c/o Elektra, or use the Info Club address. >Didn't I hear somewhere (list) that he was going to make all 50? That would seriously kick, even though I shudder to imagine what the California song will be like. It'll prolly be about L.A. *sigh* Angelinos... --nicole the wonder nerd *** "The words I'm saying now mean nothing more than 'meow' to an animal."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 16:07:13 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: John vs. John Message-ID: <19970519200736.AAC27385@default> > >Flans gets major points for playing, singing, writing, and talking the > >most.(I think) > > Bout half and half, I think. Anyone want to count and tell us? > But you're right--Flans does talk more. He's always been much more willing > to be agressive on the band's behalf. > > > However Linnell more than makes up with it in the > >accordian and hotness factor. I must at least offer this one point. I think that Linnell is more talented (musically). NOT to say that Flans isn't talented, Linnell just plays more stuff. Flans plays the guitar and the big stick while Linnell plays keyboard, accordian, and countless other wind instruments. That's saying something for his talent. I just play one instrument, and as any musician knows that is hard enough. Eric ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705192003.PAA07413@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Who Is Better? (like saying which eye is more important) Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:54:37 -0500 I would laugh my rear off, if , after all you silly fools got done theorizing as to which John is more talented and special, it would be discovered that not only do they lip synch, they have someone else write their songs. I would seriously laugh until the day I died. Expecting Flames From People Who Don't Realize That I Am Joking... Mike "Who cares who's what?! IT'S TMBG!" Leffel An annoyingly bitter son of a bitch as of late. Forgive my trite comment. As always, I am a fan of TMBG, and I would do nothing to seriously pee off the fans. ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 17:48:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970519174731_-1398882721@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Matt Gronig Ok.. I know I didn't spell his name right.. but... I was was searching for a picture of something Dial-a-song related picture-wise and I saw this link in the list of search results...Akbar and Jeff's Web-o-Matic Music Page so I clicked it and now I think I know why we think we see so many TMBG references in the Simpsons! I do have some questions about this little essay... 1.) What is "stump the band"? B.)Instanbul...? Not really a question.. just a commentary on Matt's spelling... << Nothing if not the world's most original band, They Might Be Giants are fantastic, and quite funny, as well. John and John (Flansburgh and Linnell) are blessed with great senses of humor and put on fantastic live shows, even if they don't bother doing "Stump The Band" any longer. You already know their music: great songs like "Birdhouse in Your Soul," "Don't Let's Start," and "Instanbul (Not Constantinople)." The wicked cool TMBG page we're linked to (www.dnai.com) includes an online version of the band's dial-a-song line, which for years has provided callers with a randomly selected TMBG song for nothing more than the price of a phone call to Brooklyn. If you object to devoting all that bandwidth to a song, or if you're connected to the net via a 2400-baud modem you bought back in 1987, feel free to try the voice line yourself: 718-387-6962. It doesn't seem to be up at all times, though, so you might want to think about upgrading that modem. We'd say more here, but the site we've linked to is amazingly complete and impressive. Go check it out. >> That's all! /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ < Miscellaneous Tim > < AKA > < TMB(do)G > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > < 4. Whistle the first seven notes of "It's a Small World" incessantly. > < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > < -The Connells > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 17:56:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970519175550_612141175@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: DNAI site also Mat Gronig well, sorry about that site guys, I hope you didn't run out and try it! It has "gone away" sorry about that! The ACTUAL site URL was www.dnai.com/~obo/tmbg But it is sadly... well, gone away! ok... that's all Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 18:14:30 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970519181427_-2001077561@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: PIX!!! I NEED 'EM! I need a picture of the cover of T:TEY and a picture of something DAS related! I am doing a project on then with PowerPoint (don't know how many of you are familiar with that) and I am doing a short discography of their albums... so... if anyon can help please please do! Tim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970519182036.0068e6bc@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 18:20:40 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Matt Gronig At 05:48 PM 5/19/97 -0400, you wrote: > >1.) What is "stump the band"? A part of the show that they don't do anymore... Basically they'd get the audience to name a song (like "We Got The Beat" or "YMCA") and they'd try to play it. It's been replaced with Spin The Dial (where they flip through the radio dial and find songs), reportedly because everyone was asking for YMCA. :> TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8nUBhVC00WB=0pe1c0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 18:59:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: John vs. John Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-May-97 Re: TMBG: John vs. John by Wilson Dorward@blazenet. > just plays more stuff. Flans plays the guitar and the big stick > while Linnell plays keyboard, accordian, and countless other wind > instruments. That's saying something for his talent. I just play > one instrument, and as any musician knows that is hard enough. Flans also plays the harmonica and the trumpet, and is able to play two trumpets at once. I think he also plays the keyboard - on the Mono Puff single, there is no one credited with playing the keyboard on Tryptophane... of course, Flans isn't either... playing one instrument is hard enough, but once you get good enough at it that you can play pretty much anything you're handed (with practice, obviously), you (at least I do) feel the need to move on... I'm learning guitar now (already play piano and accordion)... hopefully I'll move on to wind instruments soon (if I can get them cheap) ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 18:59:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970519185951_-96256594@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: DAVE AND THE SUN!!! ATTENTION LIST MEMBERS ON AOL!!! As you know if you have visited the letterman area on AOL (Keyword:DAVE).. Dave reviews a record from way back when... previous records have been about Iced Tea and Insurance Men and French Smurfs singing Joueax Noel.. but this week Dave is reviewing SPACE SONGS!!!! You can down load a clip of the original Why Does The Sun Shine!! It even has a little tidbit about the Johns cover of the song... Sting sang it to (it says) on a late NBC show called Night Music... DOWNLOAD IT!!! P.S. I guess people who aren't on AOL have a right to have this to... so somebody put it on a web page or something.... (I dont have one..) TIM TIm Tim tim... ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 09:41:28 +1000 From: Kristi Connolly Subject: TMBG: State Songs Excuse my ignorance, folks... but what are the 5 state songs so far? (and is Maryland a sixth, or one of the five?) Thanks in advance! :) Kris ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705192356.AA14316@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: State Songs Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 19:56:37 -0400 (EDT) > but what are the 5 state songs so far? (and is > Maryland a sixth, or one of the five?) > Thanks in advance! :) > Kris > Hi Kris, I'd be glad to answer. The 5 State songs are: Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Maine, and Nevada. Maryland is not one of those 5 nor is it recorded to my knowledge. bye /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 20:13:01 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <3380EC8D.3ECC@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Confetti Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > Hee hee.. My buddy Rockford gave me some from the Calvin show, > since I couldn't go. I carry it with me in my wallet... > Wacky I keep the confetti in my wallet too along with ticket stubs a corner of the set list and one of Grahm's picks.(Ahhh):*) Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 20:28:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Dammit. Sorry. Message-ID: I hate to be a bother, but I want to know the address to the We Might Be Giants too page again... please? * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 20:41:40 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970519204123_-1466013033@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Dave and Sun (long) This is what the text says at KW: Dave on AOL in reference to the space songs thing: @@@@@@@@@@@@@ When I mentioned this week's record at the end of the last column, I set off a wave of excitement. Well, actually, it was two people who e-mailed me, but I'm afraid that counts as a wave of excitement. They wanted to tell me that the band "They Might Be Giants" covered this song a few years back. I didn't know that, but I do know that in the late 80's Sting lip-synched this song on the NBC show "Night Music." So I guess this record is famous, in an extremely obscure way. "Why Does The Sun Shine" is from the same series of records as our earlier selection "Where Is The Stratosphere," and once again it's catchy, loaded with scientific facts, and this time there's even a jaunty pirate flavor to it. Lou Singer wrote the music, Hy Zaret wrote the words, and Tom Glazer sang. Blackbeard the Pirate was an uncredited consultant. After listening to the clip, you may still be wondering, "So, why does the sun shine?" The song's explanation is quite technical, but I'll just tell you briefly: because it's, like, on fire or something. My hat is off to "They Might Be Giants" for covering this goofy song. I would caution, however, that in a few billion years, "They Might Be Red Giants." Ah, solar humor. . . NEXT WEEK: Think your lottery dollars go to help education or the environment? No, they sponsor records like New York's "Lottery Song: It's A Fun Game." If you'd like to correspond with Steve, you may e-mail him at PANTSSteve@aol.com @@@@@@@@@@ Joel "Still Urinating in Dem Flowers" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 17:54:30 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Live chat tonight! (Woo-hoo!) Message-ID: Hey, all the cool people are doin' the WBS chat thing right now. Where are YOU? If anyone's out there right now, come join us at "TMBG"!! :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 21:09:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970519210913_252086200@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Original Sun on Web (Re: Dave and Sun) I placed the original Why Does The Sun Shine on my website at: http://members.aol.com/yoel97/sun.wav {appropriate, huh?} The lyrics are: The sun is a mass of incadescent gas, A gigantic nuclear furnace. Where hydrogen is built into helium, At a tempurature of millions of degrees. Yo Ho! It's hot, the sun is not a place where we could live.. Notice the "Yo Ho!" part. :) Joel "Urination in the flower is fun" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97 <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST. GO AND WIN! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 22:51:37 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705200251.WAA01136@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: John vs. John >Flans is able to play two trumpets at once. I knew Flans was talented, but unless he's got another mouth or something, I don't think he could play two at once. What did you mean? Marty ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 23:26:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: John vs. John Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-May-97 Re: TMBG: John vs. John by Marty Tomlinson@awod.com > I knew Flans was talented, but unless he's got another mouth or something, I > don't think he could play two at once. What did you mean? apparently it's possible to hold two trumpets to one mouth and play them... granted, the note variety is limited to be identical on each one as far as lip position is concerned (unless he's really talented and can really contort his mouth...) he used them in Lie Still, Little Bottle, for the bridge, I think... not recently, though. a long time ago. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-139 ******************************