Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-141 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 141 Thursday, 22 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: hello money...goodbye money TMBG: 2wo trumpets and mild depression.. TMBG: I need help. Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again TMBG: School's Out, and three songs... Re: TMBG: 2wo trumpets and missing the point Re: TMBG: 2wo trumpets and mild depression.. TMBG: A funny thing happened to me on the way to my mailbox... Re: TMBG: 2wo trumpets and mild depression.. TMBG: Flans speaking, and life, my three TMBG: Stressed out? Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again TMBG: DM & TMBG Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again TMBG: Hello TMBG: SURVEY PAGE UP!!! TMBG: Order Form Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again TMBG: Linnell accordian playing TMBG: non-Tmbg: Flat world Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again TMBG: HELLO!!! answer to your prob striaght from flansy's mouth.... TMBG: DM and Them TMBG: hello, hello TMBG: Hello Poverty Re: A.M.TMBG: "You'll Miss Me" played in Return of the Jedi: Re: TMBG: Linnell accordian playing TMBG: Re: They Might Have Giant Egos? Huh? Re: TMBG: stuff and stuff TMBG: Uhm... TMBG: Anyone have any stories to share??? Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again TMBG: liz Re: TMBG: non-Tmbg: Flat world Re: TMBG: non-Tmbg: Flat world Re: TMBG: stuff and stuff Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 01:49:53 -0500 Message-Id: <199705210649.BAA47880@audumla.students.wisc.edu> From: gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu (Geoffrey McNulty) Subject: TMBG: hello money...goodbye money yes, but has anyone had any luck getting their money back? geoff ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 04:34:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: 2wo trumpets and mild depression.. Message-ID: To the person who asked not to start the two trumpets thread: You and I may have seen this thread before, but there are a lot of people on the list who were most likely not around when this discussion occurred, so naturally, they would be curious about this phenomena (Everyone, all together now: Doot doot doot-doot phenomena..er. never mind), and wish to discuss it. This is a They Might Be Giants discussion list, and it's a perfectly valid topic, even if it's been done before. Just let it slide, man. Mild depression : went to listen to my They Xmasy 45 and both songs were scratched. It didn't survive the move like I thought it did. :( Exburant happiness: Got that person I made a mix tape for addicted to They. So far my record is 2 for 2. My sister and now Amanda. Hee. :) Cortney: Could Cortney Klumpp please email me if you see this message? Joel97: In response to your eariler email of today, look, see. I do send mail to the list. So there. :P I'm gunna go relurk now... Beth (who wished her fiancee had Linnell's hair..although he is an odd mix of Joel from MST3K, Rodney Anonoymus from the Dead Milkmen and a young Flans) -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33838D66.2664@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:03:50 -0700 From: Ewing Subject: TMBG: I need help. hello list. This is my first posting on anything ever so please don't lynch me. Let me introduce myself. I am TOm Ewing and I am 17 (on friday the 13th of june). I live in Perth, Western Australia. I have been festering in she shadows in this list for about a month now and I like it! (not the festering, the list!) Any how I wondered if anyone could help me with putting a Live TMBG recording into my computer and my webpage. The files I make are always about 45342452 Mb and this annoys me. The live performance is TMBG at "Live at the wireless" (JJJ radio, Australia). Its pretty cool. Also are there any TMBG fans in Perth, I am having trouble getting singles of TMBG and I need help! Tom PS. If TMBG are married(?) are They going to have kids? Interesting, If it was a boy what would they call it? (John anyone?) PPS. On that recording I have THey play the broom song in the middle of Spy, then there is an extra long random note bit. Its so funny... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 07:26:58 -0500 From: grasshopper Message-ID: <3382EA12.714B@merle.acns.nwu.edu> Organization: intergalactic skeptics, inc. Subject: Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again By the way, doesn't the line in that commercial "who's gonna wear my sandals stained with coca-cola?" sound like it's sung by the guy from Flaming Lips? (think, "she uses taaaaaaaaangerines, taaaaaaangerines...") umm, i would type out the whole commerical for those who have not heard it, but i haven't heard it myself in about a week or so...it is very much in the style of fingertips...little songlettes (no that's not a real word) but instead of lasting several minutes each, it's just one line sung, about 5-10 seconds each "always the real thing, always coca-cola" (sounds like Flans) "there's always stacks of empty coke cans piled up right outside my door" (one of the Johns) "who's gonna wear my sandals stained with coca-cola?" which is answered by a chorus: "we will, we will" oh well i guess i'll just have to tape it. grasshopper ------------------------------ From: cb@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 08:12:01 -0500 (CDT) Subject: TMBG: School's Out, and three songs... Message-ID: On Tue, 20 May 1997 tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) spewed: > actually, they did it at the shwo here in denver on january 2nd... they > ended up asking the security guards and sang that crappy song (i have > absolutely no idea who it's by but... ) it's like "school's out for the > summer" Unless there's another song out there with the same lyrics, that'd be School's Out, by Alice Cooper, and IMO it's anything BUT crappy. Three songs: I'm gonna buck the 'trend' and choose three non-TMBG: 1) Christianity is Stupid, by Negativland 2) Mongoloid, by Devo 3) Peaches en Regalia, by Frank Zappa cheers? cb http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~cb - mailto:cb@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu Telesys, UTX-NET Helpdesk consulting UT System: Office of Telecommunication Services /(0\ UT Austin: Computation Center Networking Services \1)/ Opinions expressed above might reflect someone's, but who knows? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33834B6D.624E@awod.com> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:22:21 -0700 From: "Frank H." Subject: Re: TMBG: 2wo trumpets and missing the point Beth Connell wrote: > > To the person who asked not to start the two trumpets thread: You and I > may have seen this thread before, but there are a lot of people on the > list who were most likely not around when this discussion occurred, so > naturally, they would be curious about this phenomena (Everyone, all > together now: Doot doot doot-doot phenomena..er. never mind), and wish > to > discuss it. This is a They Might Be Giants discussion list, and it's a > perfectly valid topic, even if it's been done before. Just let it > slide, man. The point is that there's no sense in wasting time arguing back and forth about something that has already been agreed upon. Why don't we just go ahead and start the "Where does Ana Ng Live?" thread again? That would be super, another 50 posts about Ana Ng living in China and Canada and ever other place that isn't where John L. himself has said that she is. Hey, you know what, I think the would is flat. Yes, that's right, flat. Sure they've already decided it's round, but I wasn't there for the original argument. So how bout it, flat-world-lovers unite! dalas ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 15:07:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705211907.PAA17765@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: 2wo trumpets and mild depression.. > Rodney Anonoymus from the Dead Milkmen > Speaking of DM, does anyone notice a kind of correlation between them? On Metaphysical Graffiti, the DM sing about gold lamae, and they have a song called Dollar Signs in Her eyes. Coincedence? Marty ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 15:24:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970521153033.26d7f526@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: A funny thing happened to me on the way to my mailbox... Hi there... The planets must have been in some special alignment, and they Gods must have smiled on me, for today as I opened my letterbox, I found a package from Hello contained within. After waiting for over a year for the rest of my 1997 order to arrive, most of it finally has! And I say most of it, becuase there are still CDs missing. In the package I recieved today there were two Mono Puff EPs (Hal Cragin Years, and Steve Calhoon Years) and a CD by You Were Spiralling. I'm still missing Linnell's Hall of Mayors and one other CD, which is ridiculous since those CDs were meant for Augst and September of 1996!! However, I did also recieve the ever elusive Mono Puff signed libretto, which is basically an 8 1/2 x 11 inch booklet listing the lyrics and a short blurb about each song on Unsupervised. It also has some drawings by Tony Millionaire. The package also contained a photocopied hand written letter of apology from Flans (signed Your Pal - Flansy), and an offer to purchase the remaining stock from Hello since they are going out of business. I think it's funny that they think people will still send them money after the way they've been treating their current subscribers. I realize that I've been luckier than some of you out there, but it has not been without months and months of torture from Hello! If you have a Hello Horror Story, please send it to me. I'm gonna setup a section on my webpage, Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour (http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy) and post everybody's Hello tragedies there. Maybe Hello will get the idea that we're all pissed, and aren't gonna take it anymore!! And for those of you who are still awaiting Hello products, I sincerely hope they arrive soon! If not, a letterbomb is always an option... Alex ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970521154543.00a5f610@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 15:45:43 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: 2wo trumpets and mild depression.. >Speaking of DM, does anyone notice a kind of correlation between them? On >Metaphysical Graffiti, the DM sing about gold lamae, and they have a song >called Dollar Signs in Her eyes. Coincedence? YES -ec ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 16:13:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970521161336_-862348969@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Flans speaking, and life, my three Hello 41- First of all, I'd like to say this to everybody out there in Giantland. Flans talks a LOT in interviews and at concerts. Much of what he sez is to fill air or be funny, or what he thinks is correct. Don't take everything he says as correct. Linnell either, he called Cub, The Cubs... Life- Though I doubt this highly, is there anyone willing to possibly sell their Brian Dewan Hello CDs? I left my CD book in my girlfriend's car,and it was broken into (yes, she has them too, and wouldn't set me up. 8^) and they took my CDs and player. Most of them are replaceable, but I'd rather not order most of Hello again for a few discs... 3 Live Songs I'd like to hear- Lie Still Little Bottle (If I got to do the stick) Distant Antenna (If I got to sing) Stump The Band- Hang on Sloopy (If I picked it) Adam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 16:11:06 -0400 (EDT) From: She Might Be Amy Subject: TMBG: Stressed out? Message-ID: Well, I just finished all my finals for the year and I am still kind of stressed out. I've decided to re-kindle an old list tradition, started by someone who was here before I was. Tracy's TMBG List Top Tens can be found somewhere on the web, but I've lost the link. Anyhow, here are the Top Ten Ways to Reduce Finals Stress. 10) Put all reason aside and exchange what you've got for a thing that's exotic and strange 9) Stand on your own head 8) Buy a big prosthetic forehead and wear it on your real head. 7) Write "No, They Might Be Giants are _not_ satanists" in every available margin 6) Figure out what Tambo and Urine Man would look like 5) Lunge out at everyone who doesn't have a birthday today 4) Have many glasses of work (and get paid in the brain) 3) Walk up to random people and ask, "Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?" 2) Fashion a sapphire bullet of pure love 1) Turn around, turn around - there's a thing there that can be found. Amy :) ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 16:19:36 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970521161857_237244399@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again Can someone please make an MP3 or a wav or RAM of the commercial because it's driving me crazy!!! AAGHGHA :) Sorry, I'm just really excited but can't hear it (darned radio stations that don't play commercials) Thank you for your valuable time, Joel "POed at Radio" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST! GO AND WIN ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705212018.AA15705@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: DM & TMBG Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 16:18:40 -0400 (EDT) > > > > Speaking of DM, does anyone notice a kind of correlation between them? On > Metaphysical Graffiti, the DM sing about gold lamae, and they have a song > called Dollar Signs in Her eyes. Coincedence? > > > Marty While both write some funny, crazy lyrics (especially if you look back to older TMBG) you can tell that DM is a bunch of crazy, wacky, silly punks definitely trying to be funny. I think TMBG is trying to be more witty, but in a somewhat strange way, and they are not intending their music to come off funny. I'm sure DM has some intent just to be funny. I do like DM, though, don't get me wrong! /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970521132743.006dcd7c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 13:28:15 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again At 07:26 AM 5/21/97 -0500, you wrote: >oh well i guess i'll just have to tape it. Y'know, everyone, it'd be awfully nice if someone would digitize this commercial and put it on the 'net for those of us who can't stand our local stations... *hint* *hint* I love you all. >The package also contained a photocopied hand >written letter of apology from Flans (signed Your Pal - Flansy), and an >offer to purchase the remaining stock from Hello since they are going out of >business. Company stock or merchandise stock? If the latter, does he mean individual cd's, and if so can I buy the House of Mayors and Mono Puff CDs? Anyone know? --nicole the wonder nerd *** "The words I'm saying now mean nothing more than 'meow' to an animal."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705212025.AA15714@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Hello Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 16:25:30 -0400 (EDT) While I think Hello went a little in over their head trying to sell CDs, and yes I realize people are working hard and for free to do this, they had to realize that people were sending in their hard earned money for a product they sometimes got over a year later. It was a fantastic idea and maybe they originally thought they could do it but just got bogged down (perhaps with Flans on tour so much, perhaps because of unpaid employees), so it probably was a good idea for Flans to stop it. I realize the employees working for the TMBG newsletter are in the same situation and can see why it takes so long for them to get things out, but at least that is a free newsletter. Folks who send in over $100 should get their stuff in a timely manner. How many can afford to just throw away $100 for a year? I think that there are some people who would consider still ordering Hello. Even after the horror stories, even I have considered it, only because of some of the great material coming out of it, as well as the rarity of these discs. I really liked the idea of Hello to just pump out a bunch of cheap discs from artists new and old to sell to fans. If I had the money I probably would have ordered a long time ago. A part of me says not to because I may never get them, but the music-lover side would still like them. Ahh well, I don't see huge sums of cash appearing in the near future so I will hold off that much longer... /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 15:31:02 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: SURVEY PAGE UP!!! Message-ID: Hey all-- I held off on this post for a while because I thought Leo would be getting back to me...he hasn't, so I'm posting this anyway... THE TMBG LIST SURVEY PAGE IS UP AND RUNNING!!!!! That's right...just point your browser to: http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/tmbgsurvey.html and you will be transported into the land that was my hell for many long months. I would appreciate your input on how the pages look...just e-mail me at wt3@cec.wustl.edu with your comments. Enjoy... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 16:40:27 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970521164002_336173333@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Order Form A while ago, I got the TMBG snail mail booklet.....the one with the order form for the shirts. My friends and I were looking at it and we decided to order some shirts. Can some one tell me how long it takes for the shirts to come. Thanks DonkeyPlop ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 13:58:49 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again Message-ID: On Wed, 21 May 1997, grasshopper wrote: > oh well i guess i'll just have to tape it. Please do! Does anyone have it on tape yet? Anyone? I keep calling the radio station to see if it's going to be on again so I could at least hear the whole thing. They usually don't know what I'm talking about. I've been leaving a tape recording the radio every morning when I've left for school just in case I might catch it. This is driving me nuts! > grasshopper -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:11:18 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970521171043_-1029362286@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Linnell accordian playing Well in response to the person who wrote..... >>>And just because Linnell can play keyboards/accordion/woodwinds doesn't >>>mean he's great at playing any of them. (Does he only use the keyboard, not >>>the buttons on the accordion? blasphemy!) Well most of us who know Linnell or at least know his personality know that he is quite shy and downplays his abilities. He has said on interviews that he plays "Rock Accordian" since he taught himself and only uses the keyboard half and leaves the buttons on the other side alone, next time you get a chance at a show watch him play, he definitely knows how to play them and uses them often but some songs don't require them. I'm sure he's just basically downplaying his talent. Todd ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33838EF7.749C@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:10:31 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: non-Tmbg: Flat world > you know what, I think the would is flat. Yes, that's right, flat. Sure > they've already decided it's round, but I wasn't there for the original > argument. So how bout it, flat-world-lovers unite! > dalas How can we be so sure that the world is round? I mean, you could supply the argument "It must be round, you can sail around the world" but perhaps you get instantly teleported to the other side when you reach the end. Supply some other arguement, Im sure that people out there will find some way to challenge that. My point is that everyone has a different take on things. Also there have been lots of add ons to the list since the original trumpet thread. It would be nice if you showed some tolerance to those who just joined. They may enjoy the trumpet thread. *Just because you dont, I guess we should all not talk about it.* [The *'s denote sarcasm] Anway, I can see where youre coming from too. But I happen to think the other side wins. Also, I did not mean to insult you in any way with this message. Just expressing my opinions. The man with nothing witty to say here- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:44:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970521174944.2337984e@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again At 13:28 5/21/97 -0700, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: >Company stock or merchandise stock? If the latter, does he mean individual >cd's, and if so can I buy the House of Mayors and Mono Puff CDs? Anyone know? I think they mean merchandise. They are offering years 1993-1996 for $43 each, or the monster pack (all four years) for $160. I would think they company stock would be worthless. Would you want to own part of a company that's run the way it is? I don't know if you could buy individual CDs, but in a letter I sent to the Hello club this morning, I told them that I should get a Live in New York and a State Songs CD for free, becuase of all the time and trouble I had to go through to get my order. It probably won't work, but it never hurts to try, right? Alex ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: HELLO!!! answer to your prob striaght from flansy's mouth.... Message-ID: <19970521.154756.12302.8.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:48:49 EDT * well ya'll, i'm back, and just a little bit upset. it seems that flansy and co. ripped me off!!! i sent in a check for $166 to get the super monster pack of hello, and nothing has come yet. i was told that it would be about two weeks after my check was recieved, and it was cashed almost a month ago!!! $166 is a lot of money, and i have other things to spend it on if i'm not getting my damn monster pack. anyone have any suggestions? the 1-800-hello-41 mailbox has been full (read: no messages may be left) for quite some time too. please say it ain't so!!! flansy wouldn't take my money and run, would he? * in a mono puff chat on july 11, 1996: Istanbul says: when will i get my hello cd? they cashed my check two months ago but i haven't gotten a thing, and they won't answer my mail, e-mail or messages on the machine FLANS REPLIES: "Hello is a very funky organization and you have to go with the general vibe. trust that we always feel bad about our lack of organization, and that complaints like yours hurt more than you'll ever know. We love each and every member, and we are always sorry." so i hope that helps! "sometimes people scare me. other times, people scare me. yet other times, people still scare me" love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:14:31 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: DM and Them Message-ID: On Wed, 21 May 1997, Marty Tomlinson wrote: > Speaking of DM, does anyone notice a kind of correlation between them? On > Metaphysical Graffiti, the DM sing about gold lamae, and they have a song > called Dollar Signs in Her eyes. Coincedence? > Maybe, but not entirely. According to a friend of mine, who was uh...a close associate of the band, DM had some of their videos done by Adam Bernstien (?) of Puppet Head and Don't Let's Start fame...and they wanted that same frenetic energy in their videos as well. So, despite this seemingly off answer, what I'm saying here is that it may be possible that DM took some influence from Them- They at least appreciated Their music. ________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <________ *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970521183904.00a564a8@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 18:39:04 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: hello, hello >FLANS REPLIES: "Hello is a very funky organization and you have to go >with the general vibe. trust that we always feel bad about our lack of >organization, and that complaints like yours hurt more than you'll ever >know. We love each and every member, and we are always sorry." So... "We're really really sorry we had to steal your money" I don't think it's like that, though.... Has anyone had really bad Hello horror stories, like you send your money, they cashed the check and NEVER send you stuff (liek after 2 years?) Also, while on this topic... could someone PLEASE PLEASE make me a tape of the two new Mono Puff discs and House Of Mayors. PLEASE. I've got some stuff to trade, or I could send a tape. -ec ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 18:51:53 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: Hello Poverty Message-Id: Well, I want to order the monster pack (not super, I have '96) because I don't need any money for the next 20 years. So anyway, I was wondering if anyone had an extra application or they could photocopy one and send or fax it too me, as I can't seem to find mine. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 07:15:58 PST Subject: Re: A.M.TMBG: "You'll Miss Me" played in Return of the Jedi: Message-ID: <19970521.161435.8750.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I always pictured those aliens playing Lady Is A Tramp. Josh Nielsen On 20 May 1997 16:24:45 GMT abescott@aol.com (AbeScott) writes: >In the souped up Jabba's palace scene, there is a bandleader >named "Jo Yowza" who probably was recorded the same way. I swear, >after >this strange, furry alien was done singing, I expected to see a >Linnel-esqe Alien singing >"You'll see my teeth in the stars above,Every tree a finger of my >glove, >And every time push comes to shove,You'll see my teeth in the stars >above". > >Abe Ng ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8nUsfY600WB=0zPnY0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 19:53:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell accordian playing Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-May-97 TMBG: Linnell accordian pla.. by PROFITEERS@aol.com > half and leaves the buttons on the other side alone, next time you get a > chance at a show watch him play, he definitely knows how to play them and > uses them often but some songs don't require them. I'm sure he's just > basically downplaying his talent. I have a radio interview on tape where he plays a *very* quick scale on the buttons - because the interviewer asked if he used them or knew what they were for. however, to make his reasoning seem a bit clearer, most accordions (at least all the ones I've ever played) have 5 sets of reeds on the left hand side. Generally, the individual bass notes use all 5 reeds, so a C is really 5 C's, etc. The chords use 3 sets. Unless you've had a lot of practice, the buttons will completely drown out the keyboard. In a performance where there are other instruments, the accordion would completely drown them out if he used the buttons. I saw them in October, 1994, and he used the buttons a bit during They'll Need a Crane and Mammal. I know that in the pre-band version of She's Actual Size he used them, too... and I can't get a decent approximation of the intro to Subliminal without using the buttons... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 16:21:24 PST Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Have Giant Egos? Huh? Message-ID: <19970521.172016.8854.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) The Beatles did this all the time (see Glass Onion). They don't mention other songs that much that I know of, just in that song. Do you guys thing some songs are sort of hooked together? For example, could Which Describes... be someone talking to Ana Ng about the guy in Peru (overseas there's this guy who descirbes how you're feeling all the time)? Just a thought. Josh Nielsen On 20 May 1997 20:06:07 GMT suzzie5808@aol.com (SUZZIE5808) writes: >What on earth does mentioning other songs of Theirs in a few songs >have to >do with They having a big ego? I wouldn't know whether They have big >egos >or not, but that just doesn't make any sense to me. > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338398C3.1F26@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:52:19 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff and stuff > 4. Ok, weird queston here. If you got yanked on stage and asked what three > songs you wanted tmbg to play for you (tmbg songs) what would you say. I know > I'd want They'll need a crane, and then I'd say Puppet head and end of the > tour, but I've heard them. Maybe I'd want Become a robot, Hell Hotel or Weep > day, but then I'd want how much cake, we got a wqorld that swings, > sensurround... I cant' think of a definate 3. Me? I'd ask for Meet James Ensor definitely. It's an awesome song and totally not played enough at concerts. Second, probably Destination Moon, for the same reason as Meet James Ensor... Third? I have no clue. They do Birdhouse really really well in concerts... but maybe I'd ask for Why Must I Be Sad or Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes... Or maybe I could whip out my trusty vio-vio-viola and accompany on Kiss Me, Son of God... Though it's probably written for violin... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33839E9B.27CF@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 18:17:15 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Uhm... Hey, whoever has a wav file of Flansy's "rock guitar expressionism botch-up", could they please please tell me where to get it? -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: Jenifredem@aol.com Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 21:46:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970521214242_-1800310466@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Anyone have any stories to share??? Heya there everyone! I'm a little new here, but I'm enjoying you all so much. I'm in Seattle and a colossal tmbg fan. ....Now the question I have is.... I've gotten to see them a couple of times and enjoyed every minute of it. I got to have a few brief conversations with both Johns and think they're great guys. (You don't want my theories on their personalities right now.) Anyway, I've always really been fascinated with finding out more about the personal side of our beloved guys. But there's nothing to be found. I know they're both married now. Has anyone met the wives? Or even seen them? I have a friend that happened to be at the right place at the right time and got to hang out with Them and some friends for a night. I've never been so lucky. This has been the long way around to the question: Does anyone have any good stories to share? Something having to do with meeting and/or getting to hang out with either one of the Johns? I know this may sound like a dumb fan-girl question, but humor me! If you don't want to clog up the list, feel free to send anything you want to me at Jenifredem@aol.com Thanks Bunches! -Jennifer ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 21:56:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970521215603_812425365@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: That Coke commercial again In a message dated 97-05-21 17:18:12 EDT, Yoel97@AOL.com writes: << Can someone please make an MP3 or a wav or RAM of the commercial because it's driving me crazy!!! >> Better yet, can someone also make a WAV of the commercial, since Jordan cant play MP3s or RAMs? ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705220159.AA15837@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: liz Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 21:59:54 -0400 (EDT) Could Liz Goldstein please e-mail me? Thankee. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 22:10:59 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: non-Tmbg: Flat world Message-ID: <19970522021126.AAA18565@default> > How can we be so sure that the world is round? I mean, you could supply > the argument "It must be round, you can sail around the world" but > perhaps you get instantly teleported to the other side when you reach > the end. Supply some other arguement, Im sure that people out there > will find some way to challenge that. > > My point is that everyone has a different take on things. > > Also there have been lots of add ons to the list since the original > trumpet thread. It would be nice if you showed some tolerance to those > who just joined. They may enjoy the trumpet thread. *Just because you > dont, I guess we should all not talk about it.* [The *'s denote sarcasm] > > Anway, I can see where youre coming from too. But I happen to think the > other side wins. Also, I did not mean to insult you in any way with > this message. Just expressing my opinions. > > The man with nothing witty to say here- > Kevin McGuire 1). Look at the shadow of the earth on the moon. It's round. 2) The sun only shines directly over the earth on one line of laditude a day. 3) We've seen it from space. 4) Read a book. I'm done now. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 20:17:26 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: non-Tmbg: Flat world Message-ID: <19970521.201744.11046.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) (Sarcastically) Yeah! Well, it's all a conspiracy! The government made up all those pictures. Everyone knows the sun revolves around the earth!! That's why it gets so hot on the equator. Because the sun is closest there!! Josh Nielsen "I don't understand how this guy makes money. How does he make money off this?"-Gloria On Wed, 21 May 1997 22:10:59 +0000 wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) writes: >1). Look at the shadow of the earth on the moon. It's round. >2) The sun only shines directly over the earth on one line of >laditude a day. >3) We've seen it from space. >4) Read a book. >I'm done now. > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff and stuff Date: Thu, 22 May 97 22:38:18 PDT | | 4. Ok, weird queston here. If you got yanked on stage and asked what three | songs you wanted tmbg to play for you (tmbg songs) what would you say. I know | I'd want They'll need a crane, and then I'd say Puppet head and end of the | tour, but I've heard them. Maybe I'd want Become a robot, Hell Hotel or Weep | day, but then I'd want how much cake, we got a wqorld that swings, | sensurround... I cant' think of a definate 3. | 1. Lie Still Little Bottle, with the stick 2. Stomp (eat it while I work) by Hagfish -- just cuz I love cover tunes, and Hagfish does a really rockin' version of Twisting, so the least the John's can do is reciprocate. 3. Dead -- just cuz I love the song ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-141 ******************************