Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-144 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 144 Sunday, 25 May 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go TMBG: Birdhouse In Your Soul Re: TMBG: Birdhouse In Your Soul Re: TMBG: Birdhouse In Your Soul Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go TMBG: Supreme Rulers of the Universe. TMBG: Birdhouse Sheet Music Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go TMBG: Their MIDI's TMBG: In The News Re: TMBG: Birdhouse In Your Soul TMBG: Flansburgh TMBG: Flansborg TMBG: shyness TMBG: Dan hickey Re: TMBG: Their MIDI's TMBG: Complete FS Sessions FAQ TMBG: Complete Factory Showroom Sessions Re: TMBG: Their MIDI's TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-142 TMBG: Linnell's eyesight TMBG: vinyl over cds? Re: TMBG: vinyl over cds? TMBG: TMBG on SNL Re: TMBG: TMBG on SNL Re: TMBG: TMBG on SNL Re: TMBG: TMBG on SNL Re: TMBG: vinyl over cds? Re: TMBG: TMBG on SNL Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 02:40:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 24-May-97 Re: TMBG: linnell is watchi.. by Adam Tyner@awod.com > He's probably wearing contacts. I know several people who wear contacts in > public, but wear glasses while they're at home/relaxing/etc.... not likely. he's been seen wearing his glasses both before and after shows, and it's doubtful that he puts in contacts just for the show - if he wore contacts at all, he'd wear them all the time. not to mention why he'd want to be able to see the audience that clearly... note how he bends down really close to the stage to see the set list. ------------------------------ Date: 24 May 1997 07:51:32 GMT From: "Daniel Gribble" Message-ID: <01bc6817$54ceb260$384801cb@dawallac> Organization: Insert Company Name Here... Subject: TMBG: Birdhouse In Your Soul I'm Your Only Friend, I'm not Your Only Friend, But I'm a little glowing friend, But really I'm not actually your friend, But I am. Can someone give a rough interpretation about this contradictory passage? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970524041806.00750c34@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 04:18:08 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: Birdhouse In Your Soul At 07:51 AM 5/24/97 GMT, you wrote: >Can someone give a rough interpretation about this contradictory passage? I can try... >I'm Your Only Friend, At night, when one would use a nightlight, there's no one else, so at that time, the nightlite is a person's only friend. >I'm not Your Only Friend, Which is not to say that the person doesn't have other friends at other times. >But I'm a little glowing friend, It's a nightlight. Enough said. >But really I'm not actually your friend, Therefore, it's not human. Being inanimate it's not really a "friend" in the classical sense. >But I am. Still, it provides comfort when no one else can, making it a friend, though inanimate. Got it? Good. =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ Date: 24 May 1997 11:24:18 GMT From: "Daniel Gribble" Message-ID: <01bc6835$0ea85700$4e4901cb@dawallac> Organization: Insert Company Name Here... Subject: Re: TMBG: Birdhouse In Your Soul Jeff Morrow wrote in article <3.0.32.19970524041806.00750c34@popmail.voicenet.com>... > At 07:51 AM 5/24/97 GMT, you wrote: > >Can someone give a rough interpretation about this contradictory passage? > > I can try... > > >I'm Your Only Friend, > At night, when one would use a nightlight, there's no one else, so at that > time, the nightlite is a person's only friend. > > >I'm not Your Only Friend, > Which is not to say that the person doesn't have other friends at other times. > > >But I'm a little glowing friend, > It's a nightlight. Enough said. > > >But really I'm not actually your friend, > Therefore, it's not human. Being inanimate it's not really a "friend" in > the classical sense. > > >But I am. > Still, it provides comfort when no one else can, making it a friend, though > inanimate. > > Got it? Good. that was so meaningful man... ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 07:30:48 -0500 Message-ID: <19970524123047822.AAA321@ppp174.baraboo.com> >> He's probably wearing contacts. I know several people who wear contacts in >> public, but wear glasses while they're at home/relaxing/etc.... > >not likely. he's been seen wearing his glasses both before and after >shows, and it's doubtful that he puts in contacts just for the show - if >he wore contacts at all, he'd wear them all the time. not to mention >why he'd want to be able to see the audience that clearly... > >note how he bends down really close to the stage to see the set list. > Well some poeple just dont like contacts, or they start to get annoying ot something after being in a while, so he might. I really dont know, because i'd guess linnell wouldnt want to see the audience knowing how shy he is. But he might have to bend down just because at most concerts its really smoke filled and dark. Whatever, i dont know. -Wyatt Glodell ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3387B2F1.3015@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 20:33:05 -0700 From: Ewing Subject: TMBG: Supreme Rulers of the Universe. Greetings, I'd like to end this somewhat annoying thread by concluding that They Might Be Giants ALREADY control the world. We were all taken under the John's power during the kitten intro; "Listen to the sound of my voice" Well, there you go. Oh, and triangle man is the boss of the illumunati who is actually the Johns (both of them under a massive cloak). They just do this music thing in their spare time. Its obvious. And the Johns have controled the Earth for three hundred years and they are still alive because they are aliens. . / \ / T \ I'm glad I could clear this up. / M \ <-- Praise the / B \ symbol Tom (loyal servant of the supreme Giant) -->/ G \ """"""""""" ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Birdhouse Sheet Music Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 08:39:35 -0500 Message-ID: <19970524133934486.AAA311@ppp174.baraboo.com> I was just wondering if anyone that has the birdhouse sheet music that was released in england could scan it in? A lot of us would probably like it :) I'm working on getting some decent shet music off midis right now, and i wanna see the real one. Thanks, bye -Wyatt ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970524111835.009e72e8@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 11:18:35 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go I think the last time this thread was around we concluded that he doesn't like sticking things in his eye, therefore doesn't wear contacts, and doesent wear glasses at concerts because then he would be able to see everyone staring (starring? stare-ing...) at him. Or something like that. Notice he has his glasses in the IANYB video... -ec ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 12:22:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Their MIDI's Message-ID: Actually, more about MIDI's in general. I want to know if there's any way to look at a midi file and be told what notes are being played by the system, because that'd be a lot easier than trying to figure them out by ear, which i did for Exquisite Dead Guy. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 11:21:16 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: TMBG: In The News Message-Id: okay, so this is to everyone who ALREADY asked for a copy of the tmbg article...i just moved away from school, so please be patient as the u.s. mail isn't too speedy in forwarding to new addresses. i'm still on the case and will getcha the goods as soon as i get your 'velopes. if you mailed me that you wanted a copy but then didn't send a sase, could you please tell me so now, cause there's a wicked long list of other people who want one, and i'm here to appease all. thanks! you guys rock. wishing you lotsa 'blue things' today, jillian * * * * * I AM HERE TO LIVE OUTLOUD * * * * * jillian buser woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 12:57:40 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970524125740_1955751577@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Birdhouse In Your Soul In a message dated 97-05-24 04:24:58 EDT, dawallac@gil.com.au (Daniel Gribble) writes: >I'm Your Only Friend, Well, we know by now it's most probably a nightlite and at night this person doesn't have *friends* around him so he comforts him >I'm not Your Only Friend, But when the morning comes the nightlites gone (except at the poles :) ) and the friends come out >But I'm a little glowing friend, Just reinforcement to the nightlite theory >But really I'm not actually your friend, Don't count on me for friendship. You gotta get out and meet PEOPLE and be full of life. >But I am. But I'll be there for you (when the rain starts to pour =) ) Joel "Hiring Nightlites for Friends --555-0200 for an application" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE http://members.aol.com/yoel97/sun.wav <~~WDTSS? ORIGINAL (DAVE LETTERMAN) http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 13:15:58 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <3387224E.699D@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh SUZZIE5808@aol.com wrote: Flansburg I've decided to help Mr. Matt James in his struggle. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh For all you silly people out there it's Flansburgh WITH AN H ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970524140552.00a5a7c0@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 14:05:52 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Flansborg What does it matter how we spell his name? It's his own fault its so hard to remember! -ec ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705241841.AA17404@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: shyness Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 14:41:16 -0400 (EDT) I have a theory that Linnell might not be all that shy at all. A possibly reason why he wears no contacts or glasses on stage is that he does not want to be distracted from his work. Now you might think, after all of this time surely he can't be distracted anymore, but it's just the way he's always done it, it's hard to break old habits. Also, before & after concerts, he might feel like he is being harassed, which can be very common in the enterntainment biz. A feeling of being harassed and being shy are completely different. Some of the most outgoing, biggest stars get away from people just because they think they will be harassed, but it's not because they are shy. Flansburgh probably just has a little more tolerance to it, although he's been known to run away from some crowds, too (as he did at Irving Plaza 2/21, they both ran out different doors and used Graham as a decoy ;) Just a theory... /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Dan hickey Message-ID: <19970524.130654.11814.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 15:07:35 EDT >seriously, dont we all know that Dan Hickey has been writing >tmbg's songs since day 1 and therefor is the most likely to rule the worl? > why do you think he's always snarling like that and he NEVER speaks! he's >just like everyones bitter uncle... DAN TALKS!!!! after the KU show he talked with us for longer than anyone (well, him and graham talked for the longest) and in fact he didn't have that "i'm god and you suck" attitude that graham had... "life goes on... long after the thrill of living is gone" love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970524162131.0069c8b8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 16:26:57 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Their MIDI's I use a program called WinMusic that does that very thing...you can get it from http://www.midifarm.com/info/pcutilities.asp TTYL, -Adam At 12:22 PM 5/24/97 -0400, you wrote: >Actually, more about MIDI's in general. I want to know if there's any >way to look at a midi file and be told what notes are being played by the >system, because that'd be a lot easier than trying to figure them out by >ear, which i did for Exquisite Dead Guy. > >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- >Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG >tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Complete FS Sessions FAQ Message-ID: <19970524.121400.8015.3.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 17:10:08 EDT Okay, here's some of the answers to all the questions I've been getting about the Complete Factory Showroom Sessions tape I have: 1) Where did you get this? I have a third generation copy. The person who I got it from got it from someone who was involved in the project. I doubt this person would want to reveal him/herself, so let's leave it at that. 2) How is the quality? The quality is very good. Better than your average bootleg. (in my view anyway) 3) How can I get this tape? I answered this one in the first post, so please refer to that. "Who needs the Kwikie-Mart?" - Apu Nahasapeenapetilon http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Complete Factory Showroom Sessions Message-ID: <19970524.121359.8015.2.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 17:10:08 EDT Hello friends, I just got a copy of the complete Factory Showroom sessions! It's a great find, especially since it includes completed versions of several unreleased songs. This tape has all 22 songs that were recorded last year in the Factory Showroom recording sessions. I'd be happy to trade this tape for other stuff. I'm particularly looking for 1997 shows, especially good copies of the Irving Plaza shows from last month. Here is the complete track list: Metal Detector New York City Spiralling Shape XTC vs. Adam Ant Sensurround Token Back to Brooklyn On the Drag James K. Polk How Can I Sing Like a Girl? Your Own Worst Enemy Counterfeit Faker Til My Head Falls Off Pet Name Certain People I Could Name S-E-X-X-Y The Bells are Ringing Unforgotten Exquisite Dead Guy Reprehensible Older They Got Lost Rat Patrol An FAQ of the Complete Factory Showroom Sessions will follow in another message. Thanks for reading, Larry "Who needs the Kwikie-Mart?" - Apu Nahasapeenapetilon http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 17:37:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Their MIDI's Message-ID: Thanks Leo, Adam, and everyone else.... you need not respond anymore, I went and got cakewalk pro and am using it. Thanks again! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Sat, 24 May 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > I use a program called WinMusic that does that very thing...you can get it > from http://www.midifarm.com/info/pcutilities.asp > > TTYL, > > -Adam > > At 12:22 PM 5/24/97 -0400, you wrote: > >Actually, more about MIDI's in general. I want to know if there's any > >way to look at a midi file and be told what notes are being played by the > >system, because that'd be a lot easier than trying to figure them out by > >ear, which i did for Exquisite Dead Guy. > > > >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG > >tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org > >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > > /----=========================================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ > The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! > ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 > ------------------------------ From: TMBG8@aol.com Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 19:46:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970524194656_642472790@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-142 Hi~ first letter ever by me. In response to the perplexed Dalas' comment: > I don't believe this, I really don't. You've taken a complaint of mine > against useless threads and not only turned *that* into a useless thread, > but you've also taken a sarcastic remark within that thread and turned > *THAT* into a useless thread. Are you people some sort of super-humans > with the ability to create meaningless arguments out of thin air? i just cannot help but quote "and in such cases Men's natures wrangel with inferior things, Though great ones are their object. 'Tis even so. For let our finger ache, and it endues our other, healthful, members even to that sense of pain." Everything wrong is right again With TMBG alive their music's my friend Indeed I love They much more then the rest But what kind of fan would i be if i didn't love them best I work for tmbg, self inspired So tell my old boss that I've been fired Implore They I do indeed to come to New York State with speed And ironically i'd be so glad If They would play "Why must I be Sad?" And owe it to me They do Me-the loyalist TMBG Ghuru. For I love TMBG so much and all tmbg fans and such TMBG, the genius two live crew put on a stellar performance at Geneseo they jammed at Albany too Investment is wise in tmbg shows with music They are professional pros(e). So what if John's Greek isn't so parfait And so what if Make haste and don't waste any more time Reading my primitive attempts at forced rhyme Go and seek out the wonderful words ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight Message-ID: <19970524.210345.3598.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 21:01:10 EDT Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that Linnell is actually farsighted rather than nearsighted? I get the impression that he reads a lot and would therefore wear glasses only when he needed to see something close-up which would explain why he can read a set list at his feet. Also, they've hosted 120 minutes before and have obviously been reading prompters while doing so, and Linnell has never had much of a problem. Of course, I don't know Linnell personally, so I could be wrong..... Jen ------------------------------ Date: 25 May 1997 03:17:51 GMT From: "Daniel Gribble" Message-ID: <01bc68ba$43ec59e0$654801cb@dawallac> Organization: Insert Company Name Here... Subject: TMBG: vinyl over cds? Would i be right when i make the assumption that most people prefer records over cds? If so, is that because they are more collectable? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970524232619.009c3310@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 23:26:19 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: vinyl over cds? At 03:17 AM 5/25/97 GMT, Daniel Gribble wrote: >Would i be right when i make the assumption that most people prefer records >over cds? >If so, is that because they are more collectable? > Though some people may like them better, or collect them, I think the general popular opinion favors CDs. -ec ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3387EA91.22AF@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 00:30:25 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: TMBG on SNL I heard that TMBG are on SNL tonight. Cause beck cancelled at the last minute. Hope its true! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3387EC82.74BD@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 00:38:42 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on SNL Some dork was lying to me, and I am a gullible fool. Sorry guys ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 23:41:04 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on SNL Message-ID: No, Beck was on. On Sun, 25 May 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > I heard that TMBG are on SNL tonight. Cause beck cancelled at the last > minute. > > Hope its true! > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970525004526.0069838c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 00:45:28 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on SNL At 12:30 AM 5/25/97 -0700, you wrote: >I heard that TMBG are on SNL tonight. Cause beck cancelled at the last >minute. No, it's not. :< The season's over for SNL, so they're showing re-runs... -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 00:42:38 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970525004237_1290961365@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: vinyl over cds? << >Would i be right when i make the assumption that most people prefer records >over cds? >If so, is that because they are more collectable? > Though some people may like them better, or collect them, I think the general popular opinion favors CDs. >> While CDs sound better than vinyl and last longer, records are still very collectible, especially vinyl of a band you like. For one thing, the cover art is much more impressive on a large LP than a middle-sized cd. And sometimes you'll get a little something extra on an lp that you won't get on a cd. For example, the Pink Album on vinyl has pictures of the Johns on both sides of the album, and the words "Johnny, phone home." and the DAS number etched into the vinyl, which I think is pretty cool. Of course Lincoln and Flood were released on vinyl, and I heard that Misc. T was as well--can anyone confirm or deny this? And what about Apollo? I'm pretty sure that one wasn't. Kay, who'd take vinyl or cd over cassettes any day! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970525044225.0068717c@spectra.net> Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 00:42:25 -0400 From: ".,.-'*~*'-,.,..AmY" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on SNL Nope, Beck is on. >I heard that TMBG are on SNL tonight. Cause beck cancelled at the last >minute. Leggo My Ego, Amy ===================================== Just Pondering This Time Bomb In My Mind...>><< ===================================== AnaNgel@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 (TMBG) http://www.spectra.net/~seta (artwork) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-144 ******************************