Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-145 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 145 Monday, 26 May 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: vinyl over cds? Re: TMBG: vinyl over cds? Non-TMBG: vinyl over cds? Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight /Puppet Head MP3 TMBG: Who writes what or what? TMBG: Did you miss TMBG on Larry Sanders? Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? TMBG: Rain, Constellations, gods and other stories. Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? Re: TMBG: Rain, Constellations, gods and other stories. Re: TMBG: vinyl over cds? Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight TMBG: Linnell's eyesight Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? Re: TMBG: Rain, Constellations, gods and other stories. Re: TMBG: Rain, Constellations, gods and other stories. Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight /Puppet Head MP3 Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight /Puppet Head MP3 Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? TMBG: Weird Al - the final word Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? TMBG: Linnell's glasses TMBG: Is this strange? TMBG: SKULL HEAD!!!!!!!!!! TMBG: Coke commercial, I Palindrome I ,etc Re: TMBG: Coke commercial, I Palindrome I ,etc TMBG: Coke commercial? Re: TMBG: Coke commercial, I Palindrome I ,etc TMBG: Car commercial Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight Re: TMBG: Coke commercial, I Palindrome I ,etc TMBG: commercials Re: TMBG: Car commercial TMBG: Graham, Dan, Linnell's eyesite Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go TMBG: My page! TMBG: guys/gals Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 20:16:57 -1000 From: kirill@lava.net (Kirill) Subject: Re: TMBG: vinyl over cds? At 5:17 PM 5/24/1997, Daniel Gribble communicated: >Would I be right when I make the assumption that most people prefer records >over cds? >If so, is that because they are more collectable? Some people prefer records because of their "softer" sound, however that requires a high quality turntable with a good cartridge. If you don't have that, the record will probably sound worse than a comparably priced CD player and any "softness" will be lost in the system. It's true that there is some image involved in prefering records, but there is validity to the claim of record listeners. CDs, of the other hand, produce much higher quality sound for a cheaper system. Also, CD sound qiality does not degrade over time as a record might. For a large majority of people (including high-end listeners), CD are the way to go. -- kirill ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 02:31:38 -0400 (EDT) From: taileen Subject: Re: TMBG: vinyl over cds? Message-ID: I love vinyl because it has he cool sound to it. It just sounds like a record. It sounds good. sorry I shouldn't write right now. I just wanted to voice my opinion. to make this worth while: Is any one else having a hard time getting to the hidden track on FS? I can't seem to get to it and I don't know if it's b/c I have a promotional cd or what. You can let me know privately if you feel this is worthless info. (which it probably is). I shouldn't be writing right now. tails ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 05:49:34 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199705251049.FAA28617@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: vinyl over cds? >Would i be right when i make the assumption that most people prefer records >over cds? >If so, is that because they are more collectable? I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer CDs. Better sound quality, more durable. Why would you prefer vinyl other than sentimentality? Mitch ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 08:00:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970525080023_-828668311@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight /Puppet Head MP3 In a message dated 97-05-24 21:39:43 EDT, jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) writes: << Also, they've hosted 120 minutes before and have obviously been reading prompters while doing so, and Linnell has never had much of a problem. Of course, I don't know Linnell personally, so I could be wrong..... >> Hmm...drumroll please....what comes to my mind....CONTACTS (??) 2. Does anyone know where I can find a Puppet Head MP3 (I haven't seen it at blamo) Joel "Urinating in the Flowers" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE http://members.aol.com/yoel97/sun.wav <~~WDTSS? ORIGINAL (DAVE LETTERMAN) http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33890AB1.E66@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 20:59:45 -0700 From: Ewing Subject: TMBG: Who writes what or what? hello happy listers, I know that every one knows (or has an a general idea) of who sings what. What I wan't to know is who writes what. Is it the same as who sings what or what? I heard somewhere that TMBG have these rules when writing songs. I think one was not to be over 3 mins and another was no guitar solos. They don't seem to follow these rules at all so whats the deal? Im not complaining though. I want to know because I've been trying to write songs and although they start well they always and up sounding like Hotel detective or don't lets start. This annoys. I heard that Linnell wrote till my head falls off and Flans wrote sexxy. Interesting I think. It seems to me that some songs have a very "flansy" flavor and some are Linnell-tastic. It would be interesting to find out if they write songs for each other or for themselves. Well anyhow, TOm. ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 10:23:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970525102349_1073747392@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Did you miss TMBG on Larry Sanders? HBO will be re- running all the Larry Sander Show episodes from this season on June 2-5 and on June 6th there will be a marathon of the entire season. So if you missed the short TMBG appearance on the show this is your chance to catch it. This seasons' shows were #65-#77 and TMBG was on episode #66 so I'm guessing that They will be on the June 2nd date, the second show that night. TmbgManiac http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0nW4i=q00WB=1Zz3g0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 10:24:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 25-May-97 TMBG: Who writes what or what? by Ewing@cyllene.uwa.edu.au > I heard that Linnell wrote till my head falls off and Flans wrote sexxy. > Interesting I think. It seems to me that some songs have a very "flansy" > flavor and some are Linnell-tastic. It would be interesting to find out > if they write songs for each other or for themselves. well, the first thing to consider is that usually the one who wrote it sings it. there are a few exceptions (Rat Patrol, Subliminal, and Cowtown), but generally that's the case. As far as writing styles go, though, Linnell's songs tend to tell stories more in complete sentences and thoughts - the lines are longer and say more. Flans' songs tend to be very... I don't want to say choppy, because they're not, but that would be what an English teach would call them... compare: S-E-X-X-Y More than enough Around the clock With nobody else S-E-X-X-Y vs. There were 87 Advil in the bottle now there's 30 left. I ate 47 so what happened to the other 10? Why do you suspiciously change the subject and break my concentration As I dump the bottle out and I count the Advil up again. of course, there are always counterexamples - Birdhouse in Your Soul is very much like many Flans songs, even though Linnell wrote it: I have a secret to tell From my electrical well etc, etc... very line by line... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 16:09:06 +0100 (BST) From: Rounds boost lager Subject: TMBG: Rain, Constellations, gods and other stories. Message-ID: A few queries to throw at the list members, do with them as you see fit, even if that means chucking them behind a sofa and forgetting them for a few days. 1. In the instrumental section of Pencil Rain, it sounds like the beepy part is meant to be Morse Code, has anyone ever tried to translate it? 2. Right at the end of See the COnstellation on the very edge of hearing I can make out a section of melody that sounds like a music box, anyone know what tune this is and why it was put there? And last but not least, one for all the Brits out there. I was listening to Kiss me Son of God and it suddenly occured to me that this was a prophetic vision by the two Johns. Yes, Kiss Me Son Of God was written about Tony Blair. That's it, you can go now. __________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson "My goodness! All my white socks have holes. I Derwent College shall be forced to wear black socks to work! University of York If only my pants reached the top of my shoes Heslington the other engineers might not notice..." York Geek Tragedy: Scott Adams YO1 5DD Flumcake On-line: Because Riverdance Must Die http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake __________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 12:04:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705251604.MAA26923@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? >hello happy listers, > > I know that every one knows (or has an a general idea) of who sings >what. What I wan't to know is who writes what. Is it the same as who >sings what or what? I heard somewhere that TMBG have these rules when >writing songs. I think one was not to be over 3 mins and another was no >guitar solos. They don't seem to follow these rules at all so whats the >deal? Im not complaining though. I want to know because I've been trying >to write songs and although they start well they always and up sounding >like Hotel detective or don't lets start. This annoys. >I heard that Linnell wrote till my head falls off and Flans wrote sexxy. >Interesting I think. It seems to me that some songs have a very "flansy" >flavor and some are Linnell-tastic. It would be interesting to find out >if they write songs for each other or for themselves. > >Tom, I think we can learn a lot from listening to State Songs and House of Mayors and comparing it to Mono Puff. Both are very good, and it gives you a good idea of the Johns' writing styles. While I personally think Linnell is a far superior songwriter, they are both very good. To me, it seems like the first 3 albums(Pink, Lincoln, and Flood) sounded very Linnellian while the second three(I refuse to say "last 3" because I know they're coming out with more records) sounded much more Flansburghian. But it seems like you can tell who wrote what in most cases. Marty ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 12:43:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Rain, Constellations, gods and other stories. Message-ID: * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Sun, 25 May 1997, Rounds boost lager wrote: > A few queries to throw at the list members, do with them as you see fit, > even if that means chucking them behind a sofa and forgetting them for a > few days. 1. Yes. It has been translated to be "Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, canta y no llores" if I remember correctly, which translated from Spanish to english means "Ay, ay ay ay, sing and don't cry" and is a popular spanish folk song. > > 1. In the instrumental section of Pencil Rain, it sounds like the beepy > part is meant to be Morse Code, has anyone ever tried to translate it? > 2. Wow... I don't think anyone else has noticed this before! That's really cool, I turned it up way loud and heard it... it's kind of haunting. > 2. Right at the end of See the COnstellation on the very edge of hearing I > can make out a section of melody that sounds like a music box, anyone know > what tune this is and why it was put there? > 3. Um.... sure :) > And last but not least, one for all the Brits out there. I was listening > to Kiss me Son of God and it suddenly occured to me that this was a > prophetic vision by the two Johns. Yes, Kiss Me Son Of God was written > about Tony Blair. > > That's it, you can go now. > __________________________________________________________________ > > Douglas Robertson "My goodness! All my white socks have holes. I > Derwent College shall be forced to wear black socks to work! > University of York If only my pants reached the top of my shoes > Heslington the other engineers might not notice..." > York Geek Tragedy: Scott Adams > YO1 5DD > Flumcake On-line: Because Riverdance Must Die > http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake > __________________________________________________________________ > > ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 12:47:58 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: vinyl over cds? Message-ID: <19970525164819.AAC8755@default> > Would i be right when i make the assumption that most people prefer records > over cds? > If so, is that because they are more collectable? I like CD's more because I don't have a record player that works in my house. Eric ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 12:47:58 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go Message-ID: <19970525164819.AAD8755@default> > i think you mean Linnell but anyways, i agree with you... i definately > think linnell is the evil type of person that would become the extreme > ruler using flansy's help and then turn against flans and have all of us, > his loyal followers (cult) go and kill flans so he could be the all tiem > supreme ruler with absolutely no chance of any competition! >=) I don't think John is that crazed. Also, I didn't know John L had a personal cult that would kill John F. I wouldn't kill either one of them! Eric ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 12:47:58 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go Message-ID: <19970525164819.AAA8755@default> > As to Linnell's nearsightednes-- no one knows. Roadies say that he has > very bad uncorrected eyesight, but he can evidently read a set list from > 5'10" or so. In sum, who knows? His eyesight can't be that bad if he can read said set list at said distance. Without my contacts, I can read a piece of paper well at about 18 inches away from my head. Also, I have never seen John up close enough to tell if he has contacts in a concerts, so if his vision is that bad, he must wear contacts. Eric ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 12:47:58 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight Message-ID: <19970525164819.AAB8755@default> > Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that Linnell is actually > farsighted rather than nearsighted? I get the impression that he reads a > lot and would therefore wear glasses only when he needed to see something > close-up which would explain why he can read a set list at his feet. > Also, they've hosted 120 minutes before and have obviously been reading > prompters while doing so, and Linnell has never had much of a problem. > Of course, I don't know Linnell personally, so I could be wrong..... This makes sense. I'm not sure how close to the truth it is however. Does anyone know how long Linnell has had these glasses? If he didn't have them, say in the 80's, I'd have to say he's getting farsighted (It comes with age)(not saying he's old.....) Eric ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705251732.AA17883@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 13:32:54 -0400 (EDT) > Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that Linnell is actually > farsighted rather than nearsighted? I get the impression that he reads a > lot and would therefore wear glasses only when he needed to see something > close-up which would explain why he can read a set list at his feet. > Also, they've hosted 120 minutes before and have obviously been reading > prompters while doing so, and Linnell has never had much of a problem. > Of course, I don't know Linnell personally, so I could be wrong..... That doesn't explain Lawrence's observation that Linnell has to bend over to see the setlist. If he were farsighted he'd easily see it, it would then be anti-productive to get a close-up look of it. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 11:41:17 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? Message-ID: On Sun, 25 May 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > well, the first thing to consider is that usually the one who wrote it > sings it. there are a few exceptions (Rat Patrol, Subliminal, and > Cowtown), but generally that's the case. Linnell wrote Cowtown? Hmm... *nicole scratches her head* odd. > of course, there are always counterexamples - Birdhouse in Your Soul is > very much like many Flans songs, even though Linnell wrote it: There are always exceptions. Consider, also, "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head," which is very Linnelian; and "Stormy Pinkness," which is so Flansburgh-esque that I had a tough time believing it was Linnell. I've been thinking about this too much... --nicole the wonder nerd ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 11:48:02 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Re: TMBG: Rain, Constellations, gods and other stories. Message-ID: On Sun, 25 May 1997, Rounds boost lager wrote: > 1. In the instrumental section of Pencil Rain, it sounds like the beepy > part is meant to be Morse Code, has anyone ever tried to translate it? The FAQ says that yes, somebody has, and the result was "Ay, ay, ay, ay, canta y no llores," from the Spanish folk song "Cielito Lindo". (Translated it means, "Ay, ay, ay, ay, sing and don't cry"; I remember learning it in my high school Spanish class.) I don't know Morse code myself; does anyone want to give it another go? Sounds like a good interview question, if anyone has a TMBG interview coming up... *hint* > 2. Right at the end of See the COnstellation on the very edge of hearing I > can make out a section of melody that sounds like a music box, anyone know > what tune this is and why it was put there? I always thought it was very carousel-ly, myself. I dunno where it comes from. Anyone out there have the ability to isolate different tracks on a song? Can you tell us if the merry-go-round tune at the end is present throughout the song? --nicole the wonder nerd ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 14:01:28 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Rain, Constellations, gods and other stories. Message-ID: Porque cantando se alegran Cielito Lindo, los corazones. It's pretty weird of me to actually remember most of that song's words (It was the fall of '95), but my Spanish 3 teacher had to play us those songs over and over and over and over until we memorized them. Blech!!! _Mark_ En la ranchera grande, Cielito Lindo, donde vivia.... On Sun, 25 May 1997, Nicole Carlson wrote: > On Sun, 25 May 1997, Rounds boost lager wrote: > > 1. In the instrumental section of Pencil Rain, it sounds like the beepy > > part is meant to be Morse Code, has anyone ever tried to translate it? > > The FAQ says that yes, somebody has, and the result was "Ay, ay, ay, ay, > canta y no llores," from the Spanish folk song "Cielito Lindo". > (Translated it means, "Ay, ay, ay, ay, sing and don't cry"; I remember > learning it in my high school Spanish class.) I don't know Morse code > myself; does anyone want to give it another go? > Sounds like a good interview question, if anyone has a TMBG interview > coming up... *hint* > > > 2. Right at the end of See the COnstellation on the very edge of hearing I > > can make out a section of melody that sounds like a music box, anyone know > > what tune this is and why it was put there? > > I always thought it was very carousel-ly, myself. I dunno where it comes > from. Anyone out there have the ability to isolate different tracks on a > song? Can you tell us if the merry-go-round tune at the end is present > throughout the song? > > --nicole the wonder nerd > > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight /Puppet Head MP3 Message-ID: <19970525.163454.9734.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 16:31:48 EDT On Sun, 25 May 1997 08:00:24 -0400 (EDT) Yoel97@aol.com writes: ><< Also, they've hosted 120 minutes before and have obviously been >reading > prompters while doing so, and Linnell has never had much of a >problem. > Of course, I don't know Linnell personally, so I could be wrong..... >>> > >Hmm...drumroll please....what comes to my mind....CONTACTS (??) > Why would he wear contacts only part of the time, then? I am nearsighted and couldn't see two feet in front of my face without contacts. It would be pretty hard to function without glasses or contacts all the time, even if one's vision isn't as bad as mine. Besides this, I doubt that Linnell would be so vain as to deliberately hide his glasses while in public. I've seen him on TV and onstage where he literally looks like he just got out of bed. While on WNEW this past February, Linnell said that he wished he'd brought his glasses when asked to read the lyrics /songs off of one of their CDs, admitting that he wasn't wearing contacts at the time and that he indeed needed them to read. Jen ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970525165120.00692b54@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 16:51:29 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight /Puppet Head MP3 At 04:31 PM 5/25/97 EDT, you wrote: > >Why would he wear contacts only part of the time, then? I am nearsighted >and couldn't see two feet in front of my face without contacts. It would Several of my friends and relatives alternate between contacts and glasses. >be pretty hard to function without glasses or contacts all the time, even >if one's vision isn't as bad as mine. Besides this, I doubt that Linnell >would be so vain as to deliberately hide his glasses while in public. Oh, it's not being vain. Some people just don't like glasses that much. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 17:06:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 25-May-97 Re: TMBG: Who writes what o.. by Nicole Carlson@ucdavis.e > Linnell wrote Cowtown? Hmm... *nicole scratches her head* odd. I think so. I think he may have actually written it before They Might Be Giants even existed... back when they were "El Groupo de Rock and Roll." > There are always exceptions. Consider, also, "Put Your Hand Inside The > Puppet Head," which is very Linnelian; and "Stormy Pinkness," which is so > Flansburgh-esque that I had a tough time believing it was Linnell. Stormy Pinkness is Linnell? How odd.... I still have a tough time believing that now... I know Flans sings it. at least... I *think* Flans sings it... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970525172330.0068bca8@awod.com> Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 17:23:33 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Weird Al - the final word Okay, I found a quote of Al directly saying that Everything You Know Is Wrong was made to sound like TMBG: http://www.earwig.com/archive/alt_rock/artist/Artist9_96/index.html <<>> Please, no more posts on this. ;> TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 25 May 97 17:50 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? "Stormy Pinkness," which is so >Flansburgh-esque that I had a tough time believing it was Linnell. Whoa, I thought that *was* Flans... Ya learn something new every day.. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 18:34:56 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970525183455_-464659445@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Linnell's glasses Hello 41- Thinking as to why Linnell doesn't wear glasses on stage, I figured it was because Linnell thrusts his head about when he plays, and they'd fly off. He always gets into playing the keyboard and the accordion. I don't know if he wears contacts or not, someone may have to find out. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 19:54:30 -0500 (CDT) From: the countess Subject: TMBG: Is this strange? Message-ID: I had a dream about Hello. Not the actual club, or music, mind you, but about the phone number. I just dreamed I was sitting in a phone booth, one of the neat ones that lights up when you shut the door, but I left the door open, so it was dark, and I didn't have a quarter, but I wanted to make a call for some reason, so I called the Hello machine and listened to Flansy's recording. Wacky. Hmmm. And I know this list has been going on for a quite a while, but I've only just joined, for the second time, actually, but it's been a while...and I have no other way of knowing this, so please don't snap at me, but does anyone have an idea of when our boys will be back out on the road? -jenny ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: SKULL HEAD!!!!!!!!!! Message-ID: <19970525.193458.13838.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 21:35:51 EDT okay, i'm doing a project on the counterculture of the sixties and as i'm looking through this giant, oversized book on the sixties i turn to this page that has a picture of a guy with "VOTE" written across his forehead. It's in black and white and it's pretty fuzzy. the first time i looked at it i just kind of glanced at it, it looks soooo much liek the skullhead i can't believe it! the book is at my friends house right now but, i'll get it back tomorrow and tell ya the authors names... it's called "the sixties" (wow, pretty deep there, huh?) "this is a place where eternally fire is applies to the body" ---SNZ love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 22:45:23 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970525224521_1174759288@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Coke commercial, I Palindrome I ,etc I heard the Coke commercial!!!!!!!!! Well, most of it. I only realized that was the commercial at like the end, so i didnt pay attention to the beginning. Well, that is DEFINETLY Flans singing. I didnt hear any Linnell though. Well someone better get this sucka on a tape or on a WAV soon :) Oh, and yes, Linnell wrote Cowtown, as he said in an interview once that was on the irving plaza website. Linnell sings Stormy Pinkness...i dont see how someone could think its Flans. Also, i am pretty sure Flans wrote I Palindrome I. I know it sounds Linnell-ian, but i have some evidence.... 1. on the Live in NY cd, before doing the song, Flans says "i would like to personally apoligize to my mother before performing this song", meaning he wrote it... 2. On a radio interview, after performing IPI, Linnell asks if the dj wants to know what the songs about, the dj says "no thats ok" but then Flans in a funny voice says "CALL MY MOTHER!", explaining what its about :) 3. Flans sings and wrote the DAS I Palindrome I, so i would think he would wrote like, the sequel too. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 25 May 97 23:22 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Coke commercial, I Palindrome I ,etc >Also, i am pretty sure Flans wrote I Palindrome I. I know it sounds >Linnell-ian, but i have some evidence.... >1. on the Live in NY cd, before doing the song, Flans says "i would like to >personally apoligize to my mother before performing this song", meaning he >wrote it... >2. On a radio interview, after performing IPI, Linnell asks if the dj wants >to know what the songs about, the dj says "no thats ok" but then Flans in a >funny voice says "CALL MY MOTHER!", explaining what its about :) LOL! "CALL MY MOTHER!" Now that's just funny... But really, I don't think that necessarily means that he wrote it; he's just apologizing to his mother for singing a song with swearing in it. Anyone remember that Info Club thing where he was talking about his parents? "I always seem to inadvertantly swear when my parents are present. I don't usually, Ma, really!" Or something like that, I'm paraphrasing. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705260344.AA18177@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Coke commercial? Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 23:44:40 -0400 (EDT) In the coke commercial does Flans sing something about "Will anyone want my shoes that I spilled coke on?" or something similar to that? I heard this coke commercial and it sorta sounded like Flans so I'm wondering if that really was it... Thanks, /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:10:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Coke commercial, I Palindrome I ,etc Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 25-May-97 TMBG: Coke commercial, I Pa.. by Jordan1c@aol.com > Also, i am pretty sure Flans wrote I Palindrome I. I know it sounds > Linnell-ian, but i have some evidence.... 0. in one of many recent online chat sessions with Flans, someone asked him what the palindromes in I Palindrome I were, and he said something to the effect of "that would be a better question for Linnell, since it's his song..." > 1. on the Live in NY cd, before doing the song, Flans says "i would like to > personally apoligize to my mother before performing this song", meaning he > wrote it... I think that was said by Linnell, actually. > 2. On a radio interview, after performing IPI, Linnell asks if the dj wants > to know what the songs about, the dj says "no thats ok" but then Flans in a > funny voice says "CALL MY MOTHER!", explaining what its about :) just because one of them says something, doesn't make it "his." At the 9:30 club last August, Flansburgh introduced "No One Knows My Plan," saying "here's a song we're a little more familiar with. it's called 'Aneurysm.'" even though it's Linnell's work. > 3. Flans sings and wrote the DAS I Palindrome I, so i would think he would > wrote like, the sequel too. Flans sings the DAS version of Rat Patrol, too, whereas Linnell sings on the studio recording and the one or two times they played it in concert. also, the two versions of I Palindrome I are *nothing* alike. They are really two different songs. (not to mention that Flans wrote and sang (She was a) Hotel Detective, and Linnell wroteand sang She Was a Hotel Detective, as an example of "sequels.") ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 21:14:27 PST Subject: TMBG: Car commercial Message-ID: <19970525.211429.9198.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Did anyone else see the car commercial with Jessica playing in the background?? I don't know if it was the Allman Brothers version or the TMBG version, because all I could hear was the guitars. Does anyone know for sure, because I'm guessing it was the Allman Bros. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 21:08:48 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight Message-ID: <19970525.211429.9198.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) So are you saying that my nearsightedness will go away with age?? I hope so. I am not really sure if Linnell wears glasses at all, because I've never seen any pictures of him with glasses. I'm not saying he doesn't, but from what I've heard from you guys, don't you think he would wear them in the tour van? Yet in AM, he isn't. Maybe just for the pictures? Josh Nielsen On Sun, 25 May 1997 12:47:58 +0000 wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) writes: >I'd have to say he's getting >farsighted (It comes with age)(not saying he's old.....) Eric > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970526002055.0069ab30@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:21:30 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Coke commercial, I Palindrome I ,etc At 12:10 AM 5/26/97 -0400, you wrote: > >> 1. on the Live in NY cd, before doing the song, Flans says "i would like to >> personally apoligize to my mother before performing this song", meaning he >> wrote it... > >I think that was said by Linnell, actually. I have to disagree. It really sounds like Flans there to me. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705260426.AA18274@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: commercials Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:26:03 -0400 (EDT) On the topic of commercials, the Monopuff legacy seems to be living on. This is the 3rd Washington metro area store that has played Guitar was the Case as background music. Unfortunately, I can't remember which store it was, but they played that so it was very cool. They seem to be very popular in DC! /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33893A6D.486E@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:23:25 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Car commercial > Does anyone > know for sure, because I'm guessing it was the Allman Bros. Well, and forgive me if i dont know what Im talking about, but when I listened to the car commercial, it sounded different from the TMBG JEssica because the notes kinda run together whereas with the TMBG one, they are more separated from each other, like there is more of a pause before they advance to the next note or something. I bet there is some musical terminology for that. Anyone out there with Musical Knowledge know? The ignorant- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705260431.AA18292@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Graham, Dan, Linnell's eyesite Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:31:14 -0400 (EDT) > DAN TALKS!!!! after the KU show he talked with us for longer than anyone > (well, him and graham talked for the longest) and in fact he didn't have > that "i'm god and you suck" attitude that graham had... Either you got the wrong impression off of Graham or this was one rare occassion, but Graham has always been very nice in the few times I've met him. I've never hearyd of him (before this) of having an "I'm God and you suck" attitude. Dan seems very nice too although I have never talked to him. On the subject of Linnell having his glasses fly off. Unless glasses are very very loose you can't really make them fly off even if he is playing a furious accordion, keyboard, or any other solo. Glasses are meant to stay on your head and a good pair generally does the job well. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:33:40 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight Message-ID: <19970526043402.AAB2287@default> > So are you saying that my nearsightedness will go away with age?? I hope > so. I am not really sure if Linnell wears glasses at all, because I've > never seen any pictures of him with glasses. I'm not saying he doesn't, > but from what I've heard from you guys, don't you think he would wear > them in the tour van? Yet in AM, he isn't. Maybe just for the pictures? > Josh Nielsen I've never heard of someone losing his/her nearsightedness with age. (unfortunatly) Usually if someone gets glasses after 30, its from farsightedness. What I meant was that if John's glasses are recent, then maybe he is farsighted. Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33891B14.34A3@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 22:09:40 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: linnell is watching...where HIS eyes don't go Evan Chakroff wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > I think the last time this thread was around we concluded that he doesn't > like sticking things in his eye, therefore doesn't wear contacts, and > doesent wear glasses at concerts because then he would be able to see > everyone staring (starring? stare-ing...) at him. Or something like that. > > Notice he has his glasses in the IANYB video... > -ec No, that was Flans, I think. -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 01:18:30 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: My page! Message-ID: Everybody check out my page! http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html Enter my contest and win a free bootleg! Trade bootlegs! See my authentic autographs! Listen to (mostly live) songs, new songs EVERY WEEK! ...and much more! check it out! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:29:00 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: TMBG: guys/gals Message-ID: I have now officially left the list. No joke this time. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-145 ******************************